*** CMS/FMS meetup, Groningen, 25-27/28 June 2004 *** *SPOILERS*

Raptor

And here's the other thread then, for the Groningen meetup, which I'm hosting. People can stay at my place, though sleeping bags are recommended (not sure how many I can arrange), and for those flying in on Friday 25 June, transport from Schiphol Airport (Amst*rd*m) isn't a problem either, as I can pick up up to 4 people by car.

Bear in mind this is Euro2004 QF weekend, so football will be a main theme. Bring proper boots for a kickabout too icon_wink.gif

All QFs kick off at 8.45pm local time, so bear that in mind when planning your return journey. Personally, I'd recommend returning on Monday.

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And here's the other thread then, for the Groningen meetup, which I'm hosting. People can stay at my place, though sleeping bags are recommended (not sure how many I can arrange), and for those flying in on Friday 25 June, transport from Schiphol Airport (Amst*rd*m) isn't a problem either, as I can pick up up to 4 people by car.

Bear in mind this is Euro2004 QF weekend, so football will be a main theme. Bring proper boots for a kickabout too icon_wink.gif

All QFs kick off at 8.45pm local time, so bear that in mind when planning your return journey. Personally, I'd recommend returning on Monday.

Ferry is almost certain to be more expensive in my experience.

Am I right in assuming the following list is correct?:

Definitely attending:

Raptor

Harleqin

Probably:

John O'Shea

OMDave

Possibly:

Abe Lenstra

SMSL

Terk

Brian of Nazareth

[This message was edited by Raptor on 03 May 2004 at 20:36.]

Barring some unforeseen disaster, I'm definitely going to be able to make it (by train it should be easy for me to head straight for Groningen from Brussels, shouldn't it? My Dutch geography is vague...)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by OMDave:

Barring some unforeseen disaster, I'm definitely going to be able to make it (by train it should be easy for me to head straight for Groningen from Brussels, shouldn't it? My Dutch geography is vague...)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There should be some form of direct link between Brussels and Utrecht, but you'll have to change there. Or go to Rotterdam and do the same if you prefer. icon_smile.gif

You lucky *******s icon_mad.gif Why do all the discount flights go to/from Britain and not from Denmark icon_frown.gif

Our discounts are to such strange places like London, Spain and the US. Holland is somewhat more expensive than London, but hey... at least we get to play pool with real balls icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Harleqin:

You lucky *******s icon_mad.gif Why do all the discount flights go to/from Britain and not from Denmark icon_frown.gif

Our discounts are to such strange places like London, Spain and the US. Holland is somewhat more expensive than London, but hey... at least we get to play pool with real balls icon_wink.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

... and crappy made up rules! icon_redface.gif

rubbish, you still have to pot the balls, play for position and strategise. Calling the pocket for your shot isn't "skill" it just counts out flukes, and since by definition you can't play a fluke intentionally it's not a reflection on the skill level required.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by OMDave:

I'm crap at pool (any version)...Thankfully I don't have any money to lose... icon_biggrin.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can't be any worse than me :lol:

I should be getting some practice before going icon_razz.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HD:

rubbish, you still have to pot the balls, play for position and strategise. Calling the pocket for your shot isn't "skill" it just counts out flukes, and since by definition you can't play a fluke intentionally it's not a reflection on the skill level required.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif What a fantastic argument icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Terk:

i can be moved to a probably (verging on definite) just sold my services to build a website so that should be able to pay for it icon14.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Raptor:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HD:

rubbish, you still have to pot the balls, play for position and strategise. Calling the pocket for your shot isn't "skill" it just counts out flukes, and since by definition you can't play a fluke intentionally it's not a reflection on the skill level required.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif What a fantastic argument icon_biggrin.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's a goosd argument, but I played pool at Uni for 3 and a half years, playingonce a day on average and I could count on an amputee's fingerrs, the number of ppl I played who strateguzed and played for position in an 8-ball game. Now, 9-ball was different, it was the "serious" game and if you played it, you had to bring your A game.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Educated Hick:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Raptor:

icon_biggrin.gif What a fantastic argument icon_biggrin.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's a goosd argument, but I played pool at Uni for 3 and a half years, playingonce a day on average and I could count on an amputee's fingerrs, the number of ppl I played who strateguzed and played for position in an 8-ball game. Now, 9-ball was different, it was the "serious" game and if you played it, you had to bring your A game.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My arse it is.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

Is this just pretend CM story story icon_rolleyes.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually this is...errr...serious logistical planning for the meet-up. Presumably I'll be down the nearest coffee-shop while all the extortion is going on... icon_biggrin.gif

Staying slightly off topic and speaking as someone who never played pool (English version) that well I would personally say that you either strategise (or whatever you wish to call it) whatever ball potting game you play or you don't. Personally, whatever the rules it's balls on a table that need to be put into holes in some order or other and I struggle enough with that aspect so whatever the rules I just try to pot a ball and worry about the next one if I somehow happen to get it in the pocket icon_smile.gif

Others who are good at the potting of balls would I assume consider the strategy for potting the next one or few watever version of ball on table potting game they are playing icon_razz.gif

This is a bit OT, but I need to know. Today, this friday is.... I believe the word is a "bank holiday" here in Denmark, meaning all the stores are closed and nobody goes to work. Is it the same in England? I know it's not the case everywhere and since I'm expecting a packet it would be nice to know whether I can hope for it to come tomorrow or not.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Terk:

i shall definitely be there. i'll be booking my flights over the weekend (probably friday -> monday)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon14.gif

*** UPDATED LIST ***

Definitely attending:

Raptor

Harleqin

OMDave

Terk

Probably:

John O'Shea

SMSL

Possibly:

Abe Lenstra

Brian of Nazareth

*** Stuff to bring ***

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>

<LI>Sleeping bag

<LI>Suitable boots for a kickabout

<LI>Suitable shoes/clothes for going out (Dutch dress code is less strict than in Britain, especially for pubs btw)

<LI>It's a given for those travelling from abroad, but bring ID, new local bylaws gave police extra powers to cut down on trouble (don't get the idea Groningen's a ghetto though icon_biggrin.gif )

<LI>If you fancy a game of darts, and can get them past customs, you might want to bring your own darts.

No bank holiday in Britain today AFAIK.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But you're not a brit icon_wink.gif

Hmm.. well, I'll go hunting for my sleeping bag. Otherwise I'll just bring a blanket. It should be that cold at that time of year.

Oh, and I hope things are actually open this time unlike in Torquay icon_biggrin.gif

So long as you don't expect one of us to get you out of Guantanamo... icon_biggrin.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe I shouldcopy and paste that to Ashcroft (one of my favorite college profs was Ashcroft's campain manager) then we'll take bets on whether you end up in Guantanamo! icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Educated Hick:

Maybe I shouldcopy and paste that to Ashcroft (one of my favorite college profs was Ashcroft's campain manager) then we'll take bets on whether _you_ end up in Guantanamo! icon_biggrin.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why thank you, that's very considerate. Pass on my best to Mr Ashcroft, no doubt there are many of us who are just so excited at the prospect of being the focus of his attention... icon_biggrin.gif

I've been to the States twice, so perhaps a file already exists -this would be convenient, as any reduction of expenditure is a weight off an economy heading straight for the wall. In any case, best regards etc. icon_wink.gif

Archived