How do you go about transitioning to a new formation?

I have been using a narrow 4-2-3-1 with 2 mc's for 3 seasons. I am getting a little bored of it but I have been doing well in the league and other competitions, so I am a little wary of changing it. Every season my backroom advice says I should play a 4-1-3-2. And I would like to play with 2 men upfront. Some backroom advice during the season says certain teams struggle against a 4-1-3-2. I have the players to play that formation. How can I go about changing to that formation without losing moment and games in the season? Should I use that formation against weak teams and gradually introduce it? Should I just throw it out there and suck it up and take some losses? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

B

Does no one have any good info on this? Am I asking a question without an answer?

I'd just throw it in there. I've yet to see any conclusive envidence suggesting players need to adapt to a formation, my personal belief is any slow start with it is down to the manager not being used to it (which individual settings, shouts to use etc.)

I decided to change formation and it worked out well...this is how I did it, with an added unexpected bonus attached:

I am Liverpool and am now in Season 4 using Beautifull tactic (4-1-2-2-1 with wingers) (posted in tactics & training tips).

First 3 Seasons I used a combo of Mr Hough but with an AMC and the Nike defence. (4-1-2-1-2 without wingers) which worked extremely well:

Trophies won:

3 Premierships

1 Champions League (1 S-F lost to winners Chelsea; 1 Q-F lost to winners Barcelona)

1 FA Cup (1 Runner up - penalities to Chelsea)

2 League Cups

1 World Club Champ

1 Super Cup

2 Charity Shields

But what I did was after Christmas in season 3, knowing full well that I had planned to buy wingers in the close season of season 3-4, was to experiment the Beautifull tactic with my reserves and U18s to get the players used to the system. I had the fortune of winning the league with three games to spare so also got my first team players used to the system by employing it for the meaningless run-in.

Beginning of season 4 saw two 0-0 draws - charity shield win on pens, dire draw at home with Reading followed by a late Gerrard inspired 1-0 win at Burnley. Then the floodgates opened and I embarked on a 21 game run of consecutive victories inclusive of away wins at Benfica, Man Utd, Spurs and Man City.

But then what I unearthed was a gem...if I was deadlocked, losing or simply finding possession hard to obtain, I simply switched back to my old familiar system (as I still had the personnel for it) and, probably because the players were used to the style having been so successful with it for three years previously, we 9/10 got a goal or two to turn the tie around.

This may or may not help you as have only been tried and tested on one save with one fine team, but it’s worth a punt.

When using a new formation and if at the beginning of the season I will arrange 10 - 15 friendlies to get the players adjusted. If I take over a team mid season I usually try to have the play the new formation for what I would consider "easier" home games. Works for me.

Ok. I have tried a new formation (not the one I really want because I don't really have the players for it) against a couple of weaker teams and it seemed to work ok.

Anymore thoughts from other people?

Players need to get used to a style of play - your formation:

During a match, your ass man might say "Player X is not used to closing down as often as asked today" or "Player Y is used to playing at a slower tempo than asked to today". This is one of the indicators that your players are not yet in the "know" of your style of play.

Players also need to "gel" or blend in with other members of the squad:

If you look in a players personal section of their profile, you would find information of their favoured personnel, opinions on others, and good relationships. The more your team "like" each other, the better they would work together when playing on the pitch. There are other factors including but not limited to language spoken, age, reputation, personality...

Now, unless you haven't made a signing in like two years and rotate your squad like clockwork, and keep both staff, players, and fans happy, your players would never be at 100% gelled and 100% in the "know".

So I would not be too dramatic in changing the style of play of (and introducing new personnel to) my team; I'd iterate. If I chooses to be dramatic, I would not immediately conclude that my new formation is wrong; my players might just need a little bit of time to get used to things. And if I have just introduced a new signing, this would slow the effectiveness even more. To complicate the issue, I would need to change things around (but not massively) depending on my opponent. This is because whatever the formation anyone uses, there is always a style to counter it!

Hence the need for same "personality" in players; they think and work alike together better as a team

Hence one of the beauties of the off-season; You can change formation and introduce signings and play easy friendlies against very weak teams. Every win boosts morale, helps gelling, and most importantly, ensures players are happy with - and gives them time to adjust to - your preferred style of play

I'd just throw it in there. I've yet to see any conclusive envidence suggesting players need to adapt to a formation, my personal belief is any slow start with it is down to the manager not being used to it (which individual settings, shouts to use etc.)

This.

I switch between formations regularly on a game-by-game basis. Doesn't seem to do my team any harm.

Archived