International management...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mightyowl28:

perhaps you have to win an international tourny?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe that's what i was thinking last night.

Question - why do we have to unlock a major feature that we've paid for?

I've no issue with unlocking "novelties" like sugar daddy or eliminating the sack, nor do I have any problem with earning an international job in the course of a career, culminating in winning the World Cup with a bunch of Scottish blokes whose names all begin with M.

But to not have the option right from the start is just off, to me. The format is perfect for international management, a light load for just passing the time away on the occasional bus trip or just before bed-time. It's quick, it's functional, it's fun.

Unlocking major features in a game sucks, whether it's a new mode in FMH, new multiplayer levels in Timesplitters or new characters in a beat-em-up. While the satisfaction may well remain in having earned something, when said something was the reason you bought the game in the first place, it's just not on.

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Question - why do we have to unlock a major feature that we've paid for? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was a design decision - simple as that, International management is imho something which people should strive to achieve within a game, allowing them to instantly start as an international manager would have made it more 'so so' whereas now when you achieve an international management position you'll feel you've actually done something special.

Does anyone know if any international job is available? I'm Australian and would therefore like to manage the Australian side, but I thought it may be limited by which area you originally manage in. And can you manage a club and international side at the same time?

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Greg10:

Does anyone know if any international job is available? I'm Australian and would therefore like to manage the Australian side, but I thought it may be limited by which area you originally manage in. And can you manage a club and international side at the same time? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes you can manage a club and a national side at the same time.

You aren't limited to just the nation you started a game in - but the available nations is determined by the number of players active in the game from each nation.

Australia is definitely manageable when you run the Australian league - unfortunately off the top of my head I don't know if it is if you manage elsewhere.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Marc Vaughan:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Question - why do we have to unlock a major feature that we've paid for? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was a design decision - simple as that, International management is imho something which people should strive to achieve within a game, allowing them to instantly start as an international manager would have made it more 'so so' whereas now when you achieve an international management position you'll feel you've actually done something special. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Shouldn't that be up to the person who paid for the game?

It's not as if it's a minor feature that'll give you a small bit of joy, it's part of the reason I bought the new game in the first place as it offers something beyond the previous version.

Will it be taken to extremes? Will we be forced to start in the Conference like the management games of old, and have to earn our stripes before landing a plum job at Manchester United? Wouldn't this anger a considerable number of users who bought the game for the advertised features and find out they don't actually have the right to do so?

There's too much locking of content in the games industry these days. Have we bought the game, or simply the right to attempt it? It's very surprising because the PC game is very open. Everything is available from the start, there are no hidden features (and if there are, they're not advertised on the back of the box) and I feel like I can approach the game and have fun however I like.

Is this a PSP decision, based on the idea that console owners somehow prefer unlocking because it's been a mainstay throughout the platform's history? Because we don't. It's a major irritance, although it's far more annoying in multiplayer-led games where you've to slog through a dull single player campaign to unlock the maps, items, songs, or whatever that you really wanted in the first place.

Anyway, I realise I'm on a huge rant here so I'll switch over and say that the game is still great, I'm still hooked, making locked international management like that chaste girl you've been absolutely crazy about in every way possible but she's waiting for marriage. Or until you win the Asian Cup. I don't know which, but dammit woman put out already!!

And on a non-rant topic, how big is the on-disc database?

When the mode's unlocked, will we have a greater selection of nations to choose from thanks to the game sacrificing a few players here and there in favour of players from the nation you choose?

It'd be quite nice to manage nations that the on-disc database has the players for, but never loads for a club-only game. After all, a UMD is far bigger than a CD so you can feasibly fit the entire thing on there. Guam would make a fun handheld challenge...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Marc Vaughan:

Yes you can manage a club and a national side at the same time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

YES YES OH GOD YES!

wish i knew that a season back... icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Younger Crayola:

And on a non-rant topic, how big is the on-disc database? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Entire game is less than 50MB. The restricting factor is the processing power that the PSP has, as constantly updating every team, league and player stat puts quite a strain on the system (try playing Football Manager 2006 on a low-end PC to get an idea..., 2007 is significantly faster due to the caching system it uses). As a predominantly text-based game its size is surprisingly small however.

Possible solutions:

1. Allow the user to determine level of detail so that they can be in control of databse size vs processing speed

2. Perhaps have a mode (separate to normal game mode) where all leagues, teams and players are loaded without the ability to continue so owners of the game can use FMH as a portable knowledge base of players around the world (maybe online updates to the database?). This would have little use in gameplay but would be a neat feature to add in, probably not in the near future however

Hi,

When do most International teams become available? Is it before and after a big tournament or what?

I want to manage a club and think they would let a CHampions League winner manage a club.

So far, the only available job is manchester City (NO! Im a Red Devil!)

Accrington Stanley (WTF! No!)

And thats it. Oh well, at least i will be able to say i got it through my own talent in management.

Like on the PC version, most international jobs become available after a major tournament, when certain nations have underperformed and the coches have been sacked.

If/When this happens you should get a news item like "{MANAGER NAME} has been sacked as manager of {NATION} after the {NATION}'s FA were disappointed with the country's showing in the {TOURNAMENT} recently.

They will now be looking for a new manager."

If you then decide you want to apply for a vacant position, either press (TRIANGLE) on the news item to view links, select the nation and select the 'apply for job' option in bottom right, or go to the 'Jobs' screen and press (SQUARE) on the nation you want to take control of.

Problem with international management.

Tournaments (like WC) are played over the summer and across the part of the game which processes from one season to the next.

After this process, most players fitness levels drop severly, so i'm playing in the WC with alot of players condition at 70% or less.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sean_oc16:

...so i'm playing in the WC with alot of players condition at 70% or less. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

marc has advised me that he is looking into this re australians in asian champions league. same thing

Also, can anyone think of any way to 'influence' a national managers sacking? i was offered the top job in about my 2nd season but rejected it cos i thought id lose my club job, but after discovering that i can have both at once i really want this to be the case...in 6th season now. the bloody aussie manager wont get sacked, despite not even qualifying for WC, doing crap in Asian Nations cup, etc icon_frown.gif

lets hope so cos its really difficult to go well with half-dead players crawling around on the field.

ps. still cant go a season unbeaten icon_frown.gif

was looking good til 5mins ago when in the 94th minute of the 3rd last game of the season queensland were awarded a penalty, winning 4-3 icon_mad.gif

always next season...

pps. only team in the league to have positive goal difference icon_cool.gificon_biggrin.gif

melb: +59

perth: 0

everyone else: from -3 to -19 icon_biggrin.gif

Pretty good going. I managed to win my second successive championship by beating Queensland in the final after finishing second in the A-League (they finished third).

Still doing bump in the CL though.

As an Australian, tell me - what's more prestigious? Topping the league, or winning the final series? I presume the latter?

Yeah but i don't think it should be that way. I think they tried to make it more like the afl where the league winner gets the title of 'Minor Premiers'(...wow, great reward for 21 games of consistency...) then thers an exciting playoff for the 'actual' winner (often the team who happens to be lucky 3 games-ish in a row and then claim more credit than the poor minor premiers). Sure it is exciting and draws the crowds but i don't think its the way the A-league should be...

ps. playing ACL now and have player on 84% icon_eek.gif

thats the highest ive seen in ages!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by chuz:

lets hope so cos its really difficult to go well with half-dead players crawling around on the field.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

lol just after saying that i won all 6 games of group stage of ACL without conceding. Eventually conceded my first goal of the season in 11th game (won first ten, no 0-0 draws) in a 7-1 thumping. 3.30am last night...dam game

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Younger Crayola:

As an Australian, tell me - what's more prestigious? Topping the league, or winning the final series? I presume the latter? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

it's more prestigious to win the finals series which is stupid, they should play more league games with no finals series although victory are dominating this season and have pretty much wrapped up the league title already

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by chuz:

lol just after saying that i won all 6 games of group stage of ACL without conceding. Eventually conceded my first goal of the season in 11th game (won first ten, no 0-0 draws) in a 7-1 thumping. 3.30am last night...dam game </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How'd you manage that? What fitness levels are your players on when you're playing your third ACL match?

Mine are all on around 35%, half the team get injured in the following game. It's ridiculous. The only reason I'm sticking with this current game is because I hope to nab an international job after the World Cup (Australia, China and Iran went out at the first group stage of qualifying, so one of those has got to give.)

Just got a bunch of guns whose skill just made up for their near-death fitness levels. Plus the draw was good to me icon_wink.gif

Finally went a season unbeaten in the a-league too, after 3 seasons with just 1 loss (that gets really frustrating)...now have to get south korea to success, or maybe go for aussie job (feel a bit like guus hiddink atm icon_wink.gif ). Beat brazil in group stage of wc2014 (also lost 5-1 to russia mind you icon_frown.gificon_eek.gif ), but then went crap in second stage

Archived