10.3 - best way to reduce the injuries....

Luck plays a big factor in player injuries so there's not much you can do, but here's stuff to try.

1) lighter training workloads (particularly physical workloads)

2) rest players more

3) sign players that are less injury prone (check a player's injury history before you buy them).

4) Close down less and tackle less aggressively.

5) try to prevent your players from being tackled (this one is going to be wishful thinking, but maybe really fast build up tactics with high passing players?)

6) pretty sure players with higher strength are more likely to come out on top in tackles so their less injury prone, but the hidden 'injury prone' stat makes a much bigger difference.

7) Field weak teams in unimportant competitions. Really sucks when, say, Tim Cahil gets injured playing against Plymouth in the league cup.

8) Quickly sub players that get the green plus sign 'injured' indicator. keeping them on the field might worsen the injury.

Other than that, rabbit feet, voodoo, pre-match rituals... it really comes down to luck.

Posted this in response to a GD thread. However, much of it is relevant here.

If this is not happening to all users and certainly isn't happening to AI teams, it has to be a user issue. There a are a number of possible causes:

1: Tactics: Your tactical set up asks a lot of your players in terms of having to quickly cover space, leading to a lot of quick rushes and challenges that are likely to produce injuries. The OP's set up is a case in point. There is no cohesion between his strata. The top strata moves forward, the central strata stays central and the back strata sits back. Whereas this might be tactically effective, it possibly puts a lot of extra strain on the players in terms of covering space as they are playing in bands rather than as a unit. This extra strain may result in a number of extra injuries.

2: Team talks: Especially in pre-season. Are you asking players to impress you before they are ready for more than a gentle run out? This is especially important for a newly bought star player that needs to fit to the system. Take the pressure off him in pre-season, rather than telling him to show he is worth the price tag.

3: Pre-season matches: Are you slowing things down a little, especially for the early pre-season matches? Reducing tackling, dropping deeper and retaining possession can all reduce the chances of pre-season injury. If players are flagging or you think they've done enough, Take a Breather and Stand Off can do this even further.

4: Substitutions: Are you rotating heavily in pre-season? These are matches helping to get your players fit, not must win games. Give anybody who is even approaching a squad place a run out. Take a number of players off at half time.

5: Subbing injured players: A number of people take off players even when they have a green cross. This is not necessary. The player may well be out for a period of time anyway but can get through the match. However, he might be fine. Subbing him off immediately exposes more players to the chance of being injured, especially if the opposition is aggressive.

6: Conditions: Are you taking into consideration the weather and pitch conditions? Extreme conditions will inhibit certain playing styles, resulting in more injuries if a manager tries to play that way. Be prepared to slow things down in hot weather, use the flanks on a chewed up quagmire and the middle on an ice rink.

7: Training: Is your training too intense for the squad size/number of matches/general match conditions? If you are flogging a small squad in mid winter, you will get injuries.

It's impossible to avoid all injuries. I have had two periods in which my team was reasonably badly affected. For one season's run in, I had my two most creative players and my main goal threat all out, losing me the title in the process. In another season, I had my whole first choice defence out for the first leg of a CL tie and only one back for the 2nd leg. However, I managed to squeak through on this occasion. That's been pretty much it with match affecting injury rates for me though over about six seasons with 10.3.

Archived