Wisth and focus passing..?

Yes. Crossing has drastically been dropped to around 15-35% completed crosses regardless of how good your wingers are. Headers are woeful on 10.3 regardless of what donkey you have upfront.

200% agree

Yes. Crossing has drastically been dropped to around 15-35% completed crosses regardless of how good your wingers are. Headers are woeful on 10.3 regardless of what donkey you have upfront.

I have Beretta and Lukaku scoring about ten headers each per season on 10.3. No problems at all. 10.2 had many problems though.

May i test that tactic of yours?

It's not really anything to do with tactics as much as it is about having players who can finish with a header. The tactic I use uses a Target Man/Advanced Forward with an AMR/AML in support, meaning that attackers flood the box making the header more likely, so in that way its tactical. People complaining about headers will usually find they can't get a cross in behind for two or three to attack in the box.

- Sandro header from a counter attack.

- Beretta header from a right wing cross.

In both those vids, notice how many players get into the box from deep.

EDIT: Just to add, you need attackers with strength, determination, jumping, heading, agility and off the ball stats to head properly in the box. And preferably be tall with a bit of meat, but Beretta is only 5ft11!

completely disagree

It's not really anything to do with tactics as much as it is about having players who can finish with a header. The tactic I use uses a Target Man/Advanced Forward with an AMR/AML in support, meaning that attackers flood the box making the header more likely, so in that way its tactical. People complaining about headers will usually find they can't get a cross in behind for two or three to attack in the box.

- Sandro header from a counter attack.

- Beretta header from a right wing cross.

In both those vids, notice how many players get into the box from deep.

EDIT: Just to add, you need attackers with strength, determination, jumping, heading, agility and off the ball stats to head properly in the box. And preferably be tall with a bit of meat, but Beretta is only 5ft11!

rofl

i dont want 2 exsamples on youtube ffs, I can see my strikers score on headers, but for every 1 they put in, they probably head 10 above the bar! and my strikers have the typical targetman attributes. and the wingers have above 15 crossing.

rofl

i dont want 2 exsamples on youtube ffs, I can see my strikers score on headers, but for every 1 they put in, they probably head 10 above the bar! and my strikers have the typical targetman attributes. and the wingers have above 15 crossing.

I showed you the examples to prove I'm not talking out of my arse regarding the fact crossing and heading ISN'T broken. And to show you how your players need to be attacking the box.

Apart from the YouTube vid, I just explained what you need to do. Set up properly. Check the circumstances when the cross arrives in the box. Is one striker the target? Are your players overmarked? Are runners arriving from deep? Are your wingers crossing from deep or the byline? Have you tried drilling and floating to see what works best?

Nope.

What you've inevitably done is stick Peter Crouch in the middle, and wonder why he doesn't score every header.

By the way, scoring one header in ten is actually realistic. Check the OPTA stats of any player you care to think of in the Premier League right now; even with Rooneys recent form with his head he'll only score one in five max.

Oh, by the way, Wingers need more than just the Crossing attribute to cross effectively.

I showed you the examples to prove I'm not talking out of my arse regarding the fact crossing and heading ISN'T broken. And to show you how your players need to be attacking the box.

Apart from the YouTube vid, I just explained what you need to do. Set up properly. Check the circumstances when the cross arrives in the box. Is one striker the target? Are your players overmarked? Are runners arriving from deep? Are your wingers crossing from deep or the byline? Have you tried drilling and floating to see what works best?

Nope.

What you've inevitably done is stick Peter Crouch in the middle, and wonder why he doesn't score every header.

By the way, scoring one header in ten is actually realistic. Check the OPTA stats of any player you care to think of in the Premier League right now; even with Rooneys recent form with his head he'll only score one in five max.

Oh, by the way, Wingers need more than just the Crossing attribute to cross effectively.

I get your point, it just so frustrating that it 95% always go above the bar, no matter where the cross comes from. maybe its a matter that my strikers are simply over marked. but its a 3-5-2- with middle runs from midfield.

It seems that unless the player is unmarked from an inch perfect cross the header will go over, wide or straight at the GK.

The Beretta vid above shows him marked by two or three people though. Again, don't see it.

But it's realistic if it does happen. The graphics in the ME can't show subtle nudges from defenders and little intricacies like that, but if an attacker is marked, the defender is always more likely to win the header or is better placed to put pressure on the attacker because of the position of the player and the angle of the ball. What I mean is that the defender can steady himself for a jump whilst the attacker has to attack the ball on the run.

Personally, if you can get a winger to the byline in behind the line of defence, then curl a ball behind the defender for the striker to attack, then I always see the striker either very unfortunate not to score if he connects, or he scores.

The fact is it's not black and white. It depends on your players, the opposition players and what system you're playing.

Without concentrating totally on heading, I feel that this version of the match engine is poor (i expect to be shot down). Playing with width is without reward, whereas overloading the central attacking area is very effective. Also, direct football at quick tempo is weak, whereas short intricate passing (be it Barca or Bolton) is almost guaranteed to produce improved results.

I am not moaning due to lack of success because i found great success with 3 central attacking midfielders and a single striker.

I however think that a variety of tactical approaches should be effective in different ways/circumstances rather than one style/formation being the correct way to play.

At times it seams to be a matter of picking holes in the ME rather than intelligent tactical approaches to football.

May i test that tactic of yours?

Nope.

I agree with your point mate but can you justify this stat: 6 headers from 2-5 yards out all missed, no players marked what so ever - they could have cupa before touching the ball if they want. All were open goals. Heading ability is excellent for all those players.

I calculated 1 goal from a header, from 29 headers in total. 12 unmarked, 13 inside 6-yard box (9 were unmarked). Justify that one too please :D

Ive been doing a lot of testing with different players, different teams and different tactics. The realism is not far off I agree but its not spot on either and if a top striker is consistently missing point blank headers from 2-4 yards out then there's a problem with the match engine. Even if this player has a moral that is 'superb' and is scoring with his boot consistently, and his main strength is heading, there's a problem and it aint my tactics because I can crush most teams.

It's more the issue of scoring 1/10 headers from 4 yrds out, dead centre of the goal.

SPOT ON. At long last someone has actually realised what the EXACT problem is. Not scoring from headers that are not dead centre or outside the 6-yard box its exactly what you have said which is the problem.

It's more the issue of scoring 1/10 headers from 4 yrds out, dead centre of the goal.
Can't really help then, I don't see that in the game at all.

Would you like me to give you around 100 examples of this mate? Because I have shed loads. What I can do is you tell what team to go and i'll show you the problems that you fail to see.

Would you like me to give you around 100 examples of this mate? Because I have shed loads. What I can do is you tell what team to go and i'll show you the problems that you fail to see.

I don't fail to see anything, it just doesn't happen for me.

You can give me examples if you like. Just tell me if this is the scenario leading up to the header.

Personally, if you can get a winger to the byline in behind the line of defence, then curl a ball behind the defender for the striker to attack, then I always see the striker either very unfortunate not to score if he connects, or he scores.

I've developed wing tactics that can have the problems described in this thread, but they can be fixed by understanding player stats and how the supply is delivered.

The very fact I don't have this problem is proof that it's a tactical and attribute-led problem by the user rather than the match engine. I can YouTube every headed goal I score if you like to prove it!!!

Ten headers each out of how many headers? Where are they scoring from?

Generally from six yards out, from byline delivered crosses with the header coming from left, right and centre.

Without concentrating totally on heading, I feel that this version of the match engine is poor (i expect to be shot down). Playing with width is without reward, whereas overloading the central attacking area is very effective. Also, direct football at quick tempo is weak, whereas short intricate passing (be it Barca or Bolton) is almost guaranteed to produce improved results.

I am not moaning due to lack of success because i found great success with 3 central attacking midfielders and a single striker.

I however think that a variety of tactical approaches should be effective in different ways/circumstances rather than one style/formation being the correct way to play.

At times it seams to be a matter of picking holes in the ME rather than intelligent tactical approaches to football.

I couldn't agree more, i can find succes easy enough, with narrow tactics that dont cross much

That's just not true xD

All that means is that you are personally more adept at setting up narrow formations because your tactical philosophy suits that.

I've played a 4-2-4 with AMR/AML for the past two seasons with Sangonera in Liga BBVA, scoring over 100 league goals and winning the league with a good 60-70% of them coming from wide positions.

I'm not stroking my ego saying that, because it's no great achievement given I'm in season ten! But to suggest playing wide in 10.3 is without reward is just completely incorrect.

If it was 10.2, I'd agree with you as that had fairly bad problems with wingers/inside forwards. But it's just completely untrue in 10.3 and I'm astounded that so many people are declaring the ME broken at the first opportunity just because they can't get results.

I couldn't agree more, i can find succes easy enough, with narrow tactics that dont cross much

This is poor for this sort of game though.

There are 2 ways a manager at a new club will do things,

-Playing a tactic to suit the players at his disposal

or

-shoehorning their players into a tactic they use until they can replace these players with new to suit their formation/tactical approach.

With this ME only option 2 can really work effectively.

That's just not true xD

All that means is that you are personally more adept at setting up narrow formations because your tactical philosophy suits that.

I've played a 4-2-4 with AMR/AML for the past two seasons with Sangonera in Liga BBVA, scoring over 100 league goals and winning the league with a good 60-70% of them coming from wide positions.

I'm not stroking my ego saying that, because it's no great achievement given I'm in season ten! But to suggest playing wide in 10.3 is without reward is just completely incorrect.

If it was 10.2, I'd agree with you as that had fairly bad problems with wingers/inside forwards. But it's just completely untrue in 10.3 and I'm astounded that so many people are declaring the ME broken at the first opportunity just because they can't get results.

Firstly, I have at no stage said the ME is broken.

My point is that real world tactical approaches are rendered useless in this ME.

Mourinho's 4-5-1/4-3-3 at Chelsea would not have won anything if this ME was an accurate representation of Football.

That's just not true xD

I've had succes with wingers aswell, but only if they are set to cross rarely and run inside. if i want them to hug touchline & cross often, i just dont get anything from it, plenty of crosses, but as stated before, 95% goes above the bar :(

Playing with width is poor I agree. Cross completion is not far off being realistic but its NOT realistic at current with 10.3. Italy averages 40% compression from crosses, that means the top teams may get 40-70% whilst the lower clubs getting around 10-20%, averaging it out to 40% thus. I have never ever got or seen any team get more than 35% ompletion from crosses.

Central area is effective, but if its crowded then not so.

Cant comment on the passing mate.

Archived