Help me create my 4-5-1 please

I've done very well using the 4-1-2-1-2 and the 4-2-4 in FM10, but I can't get the 4-5-1 to work. I have a specific idea of how I want it to work, but I don't know how to implement it. :confused:

Right now I have:

arsenal451crop.jpg

DR: Fullback-support

DL: Fullback-support

DC: Limited Defender-defend

DC: Limited Defender-defend

DMC: Deep-lying playmaker-defend

MCL: Advanced playmaker-attack

MCR: Ball-winning midfielder-support

AML: Inside forward-attack

AMR: Inside forward-attack

ST: Complete striker-support

*Tweaks*

1. Set up Nike defense with the back 5

2. MCL's RWB set to mixed

3. MCR's FWR set to often

4. AML & AMR wide play set to "move into channels"

*Attacking Vision*

What I wanted to create was a system where there'll be 5 positions capable of scoring goals. I want to create a tactic whereby I can have players from 5 positions getting double digits in goals scored. I want the backline to play it quite safe, and my front five to play direct football. The DMC is special in that I want him to play safe first, except if he see's an opening then he can go for it.

I set the AML and AMR wide play to "move into channels" because I think they'll run in behind the defense, and score more goals that way.

The Complete striker will roam around opening up space for the AML, AMR, and the two MCs to run into. His hold up ball is ticked so that he can bring others into play. Ideally, when he's holding up the ball, there should be three players (AML, AMR, and one of the MC) making the run for him to pick out. He'll of course get his fair share of goals from crosses and run in behind defense.

I set the MCR's FWR to often because I have Diaby and Fellaini. These two, with their physique are very capable ball-winners. In attack, I want them to attack the box, especially when the ST roam out wide.

The MCL's has mixed FWR because I want Diaby/Fellaini to be the main attacking midfielder. The advanced playmaker (in this case, Cesc) I want him to mainly be outside the box to provide any through balls for the attackers, including the ST, AML, AMR, and the MCL. However, I want him to also run into the box from time to time, especially when the MCL haven't made the run, or the striker is holding up the ball.

The DMC is the designated playmaker in this tactic. When he looks up, he should have the two MCs to provide the short option forward, and the front three providing the three longball options. The two fullbacks should provide the two horizontal options. He should not run forward though, because I need someone left behind to provide cover in case of a counter-attack.

*Defense Vision*

I want my front 5 (ST, AML, AMR, and the two MCs) to press aggressively, to win the ball back as high up the pitch as possible, and also to disrupt the opponent from building up their play.

I want the back 5 to more or less hold their position. This may leave a bit of a gap especially down the flanks where the fullbacks are sometimes outnumbered, but down the middle, I want my triangle of DMC, and the two CBs to stay solid.

*The Problems*

I don't score enough goals. End of. Rarely does it work as I envision it. I'm not sure if it's me not being able to implement what I want, or what I want is simply not doable or effective in FM10. If it's the latter, then I'm just sad. :( If it's the former...well...it's why I'm here asking for advice :D

As for defense, it stays tight enough, but my front five don't press as aggressively as I wish they would. But I reckon that could just be the low work-rate and all.

In conclusion, I'm just not sure if I've implemented my vision for this tactic correctly. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

This is a very similar tactic to the one I use with Everton, although the difference is that I'm not looking to score loads of goals, I'm looking to stop the opposition from scoring any!

You haven't mentioned what your philosophy is - I would use fluid personally.

Looking at your player roles the first thing I notice is a lack of width (it is Arsenal after all ;)). Your fullbacks are set to support. If you set them to automatic then they will change between attack, support and defend automatically as you move from an attacking formation through standard to defensive. The second benefit you will get is that if you use the look for overlap shout in-game your overlapping fullbacks will draw the opposition FBs wide, creating more space for your inside forwards.

I agree with the post above that Fellaini isn't fast enough to do lots of attacking runs on to the ball, but he will help you dominate the middle of the field!

Hi,

I've started having some success with a similar tactic but I push Arshavin and Nasri up level with Van Persie (in your case Balotelli), it doesn't matter that it's not the natural position, they play well out wide. I have my team set as the following (depends on who is starting, I use Prozone as a guide for roles.

GK- Goalkeeper - Defend

DR - Wing Back - Attack

DL - Wing Back - Attack

DC - Limited Defender - Defend

DC - Limited Defender - Cover

DM - Defensive Midfielder - Defend

MC - Deep Lying Playmaker - Support

MC - Deep Lying Playmaker - Support

FR - Advanced Playmaker - Attack

FL - Advanced Playmaker - Attack

ST - Treq/Poacher/Target Man - Attack *depends who I'm playing up front

I play

Passing Short, Control, Fluid, Press More, More Expressive and More Roaming.

Shouts are Retain Possession and Work Ball Into Box.

I find pushing the wingers higher up the pitch results in them getting behind the full backs more.

Hope this helps to some extent.

Archived