[FM10] Having a Bath

GioGio85

Updated 16/03/2010 -

I started a career game in Fm 2009/10 (version 10.2) with the aim of working my up the career ladder to glory.......hopefully. I would like to be able to be able to speak as many different languages as possible and work my way to the top from meagre beginnings.

Career overview

2009/2010 – Unemployed

2010/2011 – Bath City (Blue Square South) Final position – 5th

2011/2012 – Bath City (Blue Square South) Final position – 1st (winners)

2012/2013 - Bath City (Blue Square Premier) Position before leaving to join Carlisle - 16th

2012/2013 – Carlisle (League 2) Final position – 23rd (relegation)

2013/2014 – Carlisle (Blue Square Premier) Final position– 1st (champions)

2014/2015 – Carlisle (League 2) Final position – 13th

2015/2016 – Rotherham (league 1) Final position – 9th

2016/2017 – Rotherham (league 1) Position before being axed – 5th

2016/2017 – FC Den Bosch (Jupiter league) Position – 14th

2017/2018 – FC Den Bosch (Jupiter league) Position – 3rd (promotion via relegation playoffs)

2018/2019 – FC Den Bosch (Eredivisie league) Final position – 8th

2019/2020 – FC Den Bosch (Eredivisie league) Final position – 10th

2020/2021 – FC Den Bosch (Eredivisie league) Final position – 6th

2021/2022 – FC Den Bosch (Eredivisie league) Final position – 3rd

2022/2023 – FC Den Bosch (Eredivisie league) Final position – 1st (champions)

2023/2024 – FC Den Bosch (Eredivisie league) Final position – 1st (champions)

2024/2025 – FC Den Bosch (Eredivisie league) Final position – 1st (champions)

International

2024 - Cameroon (African Nationas Cup) - Quarter finals (lost 2-1 to Ivory Coast)

Start

2009/2010 – Unemployed

Went on holiday for a year and with a view to returning in September 2010.

2010/2011 – Bath City (Blue Square South)

I was hired as manager of Bath City. The team was languishing in 17th position despite the boards lofty ambitions for a playoff place.

The team was solid enough but didn’t have the required quality up front to make any serious impact.

I signed a couple of players including a young striker from Scotland who grabbed 10 goals by the end of the year. The best player was young Irish midfielder who was released from a Scottish club who started getting plenty of rave reviews.

My form was really good and I slowly moved up the table but the season finished a few games too soon as I missed out on the playoffs by 1 point, finishing in 5th place.

Final position – 5th

Best player – Irish midfielder who was instrumental in my rise up the league.

2011/2012 – Bath City (Blue Square South)

Due to my impressive first season in charge of Bath I started the season full of optimism for at least a play off place.

I managed to get an elderly striker, who had in his glory days been an established league 1 goal scorer, on a free transfer.

He signed alongside a talented playmaker in midfield (who was a decent passer albeit had no pace) and a few other squad signings and loanees. My best signings were in defence, where 2 great centre backs were signed who proved to be more than solid throughout the long season.

I started the season in decent form and just as with the previous season my form got even better as the season wore on.

I finished the season top of the pile, overseeing a defensive injury crisis that almost saw me end the season in 2nd.

Final position – 1st (winners)

Best player – Although my elderly striker grabbed the headlines and was the impetus for a great season, my talented 28 year old centre back/central midfielder was in great form all year and his versatility was essential.

2012/2013 – Bath City (Blue Square Premier)

One major signing as I brought in another solid league striker who had been unemployed for some while. I was confident that he would have a great season.

Season started Ok with a couple of wins and draws but as injuries and fatigue hit the team, my form began to diminish. My elderly striker though was banging in goals, but it was my inconsistent defence and goalkeeping that was affecting results.

I was floating around 17th, 2 points away from the relegation zone as I entered November but was becoming increasingly frustrated by my inability to get away from the drop and my lack of resources to bring in new players.

Then Carlisle came in for me. I negotiated a £750 wage and off I went.

2012/2013 – Carlisle (League 2)

Carlisle were struggling in 19th place in league 2. They had been relegated from league 1 the season before and were struggling to adjust.

They had a thread bare squad with no balance and no players who could cover the positions. Despite these negatives they did have a few talented players, although they were on massive wages (for this level) and were generally old and underperforming.

Season started with a home loss, then an away draw. I then hit 3 wins on the trot. I was confident I could shoot up the league and was hoping for a top half finish.

Then injuries and lack of form hit my threadbare squad…..I began to sink into an appalling spot of form. Nothing I did could halt the slide and I went into my last 2 games 3 points away from safety in 23rd.

After a word to my captain I won my 2nd to last game 3-0 and despite staying in 23rd I was now joint on points with Gillingham, sitting in the relegation spot on goal difference. I now felt I could survive, citing fans favourite Jimmy Glass as inspiration.

This was however misplaced. I lost 2-0 away to 6th place Mansfield and Gillingham won away from home (probably the 1st time all season). I had been relegated.

Final position – 23rd (relegation)

Best player – difficult really, mainly as everyone was poor. Guess the young Welsh left back I had brought in on a free had done OK….thats as good as it got.

2013/2014 – Carlisle (Blue Square Premier)

My wage bill was extortionate, with these underachievers milking way more than they deserved. I got rid of a lot of the “high rollers” and sold some of the “better” players as I looked to shape the squad with players I had confidence in.

My squad needed to be more balanced and have the ability to be flexible in an injury crisis. 2 experienced central midfield playmakers came in and a new goalkeeper was brought to replace the goalkeeper that I had wasn’t keen on.

4 talented youngsters were brought in on loans from championship and premiership clubs. These included 2 British strikers and 1 talented strong centre back from Newcastle. The crème de la crème was an Italian striker from Man city who on paper should no trouble in tearing up the league.

After wheeling and dealing all summer my squad was sorted and ready for the 1st game….I was very happy with what I had managed to do. I was expected to win the league and the conference cup and I too was equally confident in achieving this, desperate to make up for taking the club down.

Sadly for me I got smashed 3-1 over 2 legs by mid table Chelmsford in the semi finals of the conference cup. I wanted to win my first ever cup so was a tad disappointed.

However after outscoring my opponents all year I won the league with 107 points scoring 109 goals in the process (although my defence wasn’t particularly up to much).

On the way I beat Rushden and Chester to the title and my young Italian won player of the year, finishing top scoring with 34 goals- all round a great year.

Final position – 1st (champions)

Best player – In contrast to my previous year as Carlisle boss, many of my players played well. My Italian striker performed admirably all year and rightly cleaned up at the awards, but my 2 central midfielders also banged in plenty of goals and provided many more along the way. The young left Welsh back from my 1st year also became an established defender with a bright future.

2014/2015 – Carlisle (League 2)

Back in league 2 I had a tough job trying to replace the loanees that had all returned to their parent clubs. This was a mammoth task as they had performed so admirably in my promotion season.

Once again I relied heavily on loans but I didn’t feel that I had the same quality in loan signings as I had the previous year.

The board wanted a safe mid table position and I would have snatched that with both hands if I was offered that at the start of the year, such was the misery I went though the last time I was in league 2.

Season stated off inconsistent but as the team began to gel, my performances began to grow and I rose from about 18th in November time to be 9th.

My impressive form got me recognition and league 1 midtablers Rotherham offered me a job, I negotiated the deal for more money and also agreed to take them over at the end of the season – I wanted to see if I could hit the playoffs with Carlisle.

However as some of the short term loan signings left the club, my form deteriorated back into inconsistency and I finished 13th, a position I was ultimately happy with.

Final position – 13th

Best player - Player of the year was my welsh left back who was becoming a consistent league 2 performer, with the ability to power in free kicks a nice little bonus!

2015/2016 – Rotherham (league 1)

Rotherham had finished 14th the previous year and the board wanted a mid-table position from me. I however had hopes of the playoffs but wanted to at least beat the previous seasons positions.

Rotherham had a team of aging stars on mega bucks so I quickly rang the changes, getting rid of high earners and old veterans to bring in some more youngsters on loan as well as some younger players with greater sell on value. I managed to get some good money for some of the overrated (in my eyes) foreign talent at the club, and signed 3 good strikers and a solid centre back.

2 players from my former club Carlisle joined me - I pinched my mate the Welsh left back who had performed admirably over the previous 3 years at Carlisle. I also signed a midfielder playmaker who made a decent start to his Carlisle career and I hoped he would bring his skills to Rotherham.

Team looked good but the start was awful, not winning in my first 6 games. As the team gelled I slowly moved up the league and hit some good form at Christmas time.

However it was all in vein as the season finished a bit too son, and I finished in 9th but optimistic for the next season.

The shining light for the season was my 1st ever cup success. I was scoring goals for fun in the Johnsons Paint trophy and justifiable saw off the challenge of some rather good teams on the way to Wembley to play MK Dons in from of 56000 success starved fans. The game was a tough one, seeing me go one nil down, before equalising almost immediately and then conceding again in the second half.

Despite being on top I couldn’t get the goal I needed so a tactical rethink saw my English born Italian striker on loan from Everton race the length of the pitch and ram the ball in the 90th minute….cue me running round my room. Extra time brought no reward, so off we went to penalties where I eventually won the shoot out 5-4. The board didn’t give much attention to the cup win, but I was happy to keep up my record of doing something at all of the clubs I had been at as well as lift my first ever cup.

Final position – 9th

Best player - My best player was a 29 yr old free striker I got from Millwall who banged in 26 goals – unexpected as he was only signed at the start of the campaign with a view to being back up. Unfortunately it was at the back that I struggled

2016/2017 – Rotherham (league 1)

I managed to sign 2 excellent young centre backs on loan from premiership clubs and I was confident of promotion baring injuries. I had the same strike force as the previous year and had strength in all areas. I was optimistic and the board were too, expecting promotion. The jewel in my crown was a talented young Chilean midfielder whom I grabbed from the team I support Spurs. I expected him to take the league by storm.

The start to the season was solid winning the games I was expecting but a couple of disappointing draws to go alongside a few defeats, notably against high flying Notts County dampened a generally positive start.

I was 3 points off the automatic promotion places when I entered the FA cup 1st round where I played Leyton Orient away. I took the lead but lost the game 2-1. To say the board were upset was an understatement, as after the game the board called in into their office to hand me my P45. I was sacked and pretty miffed at the fact that I couldn’t see the job through.

I went on holiday in search of my next job, wondering of what might have been as I had been so confident of getting promoted at the start of the season.

Final position – 5th

Best player – My 24 year old English striker who I had signed from Crewe the year before had found his feet and was banging in the goals, but my Spanish centre back from Newcastle was a class apart.

2016/2017 – FC Den Bosch (Jupiter league)

After turning down league 1 strugglers Cambridge United I was offered the job as manager of FC Den Bosch in the Jupiter league.

Den Bosch though were also struggling. I took over in November with the Mighty Bosch sitting in 15th, way below the boards expectation of a promotion place (which based on the staff at the club was very misjudged)

I tried to steady the ship and seemed to be doing ok, winning my first game, but I couldn’t get any consistency going in my results and despite making lots of loan signings in the January transfer window in a desperate attempt to pep up my squad I was unable to do better than 14th.

I was however well clear of relegation and hoped that I would be able to get rid of the dead wood and bring in some better players in the summer…as well as ease the clubs crippling financial troubles by selling a few of the underachievers.

Position – 14th

Best player – I had signed a young Spanish striker on loan from wolves and he won the player of the period award at the end of season awards after scoring 12 goals for the team.

2017/2018 – FC Den Bosch (Jupiter league)

Due to the clubs massive debts I had a wage budget of 20k and no transfer funds to speak of. My squad needed an overhaul with only 3 players of any basic quality. I got rid of any player on large wages and ended up operating on a 10k wage budget for the season.

This was ultimately due to the fact that I took full advantage of the Dutch leagues leniency regarding loan signings and about 16 lads came in on loan to give me options (no loan fees required). The players that came in were generally talented and of a good standard and left me with strength in every position except goalkeeper.

The season couldn’t have started better, as I went unbeaten in the first 8 games, winning 7. This saw me gain a place in the end of season playoffs. As soon as I achieved this my team seemed to slacken and I went through a ropey period of inconsistency that saw me float around in the playoff places as we entered the January transfer window.

Goals were not a problem as my team was playing some great football. The young Chilean I had at Rotherham joined me again on loan from Spurs but unlike at Rotherham, he finally realised his potential and was scoring and creating the majority of my goals.

However I lacked of a quality goal keeper and this seemed to be my Achilles heel as I couldn’t rely on my young French GK to make the required saves in tough games.

I resolved this by bringing in a 22 year old Brazilian GK and his arrival coincided with my form improving steadily and I finished the league season in 3rd place and entered the playoffs full of confidence.

I played 6 games against 2 teams in the playoffs and was ultimately successful after beating Eredivisie league strugglers MVV in the 3rd round relegation playoff decider.

Position – 3rd (promotion via relegation playoffs)

Best player – The Chilean playmaker on loan from Spurs ended up 2nd top goal scorer with 21 goals and had as many assists. A class act and the best player I had managed in my career to date.

2018/2019 – FC Den Bosch (Eredivisie league)

I was expected to struggle and would therefore have taken survival at the start of the campaign. I once again had no transfer budget and had to settle with a pretty meagre 23k wage budget.

I had however managed to re-sign the best of the on-loan players that had helped me win promotion the previous season. No loan fees were required leaving me with a massive squad of loanees. Only about 5 of my squad were actually owned by me.

I had many options in the centre of the park but unlike the previous season I did struggle to get any strength in depth in the striker position.

I started the season solidly. Winning my opening game and losing only once in my 1st 6 games. As I sat proudly in 7th my form stagnated slightly and went 5 games without winning, drawing 3.

The press speculated that I was to drop down the league back to my natural position as struggler. The team however reacted perfectly and I went on an amazing run and on the way I beat high flyers Ajax, Groningen and drew with PSV. I was 5th at the end of November. I was a solid if unspectacular unit and despite not being full of goals, I managed to share goals around my team.

At this point I decided to revamp my coaching staff and scouting team. This had an effect on the pitch and my players slowly began to improve.

This would be the highest position I would attain all season but I kept my strong form going and a good season finish of 8th with 51 points. This saw me surprisingly enter the playoffs for a European spot against PSV.

Despite a decent performance a narrow 3-2 loss and a 0-0 draw saw me end the season without a place in Europe. Despite not realising that I had a chance of a Europe at the end of all the standard league games, I was left feeling disappointed that I hadn’t yet gone on a European tour.

I had to console myself that I had well surpassed the boards pre season expectations. The only disappointment the board had was that my cup run has ended in its first game versus Feyenoord Reserves (how can reserves enter a cup?!).

Position – 8th

Best player -My captain for the 3rd year in a row was a 22 year old Dutch centre back, who had become my Mr dependable and captain fantastic of both Den Bosch and The Dutch under 21s. I knew I faced a struggle keeping hold of him as Premiership and Bundersleiga clubs sought his talent.

2019/2020 – FC Den Bosch (Eredivisie league)

The success of the previous year seemed to hinder my pre season. For the first time in Holland I was unable to get any loan stars to sign, mainly because I had no transfer money and clubs were now all asking for loan fees. My squad minus all the loanees was wafer thin. This meant that this season was to be one of transition as my squad faced a complete overhaul with a flurry of new faces arriving on contracts.

Unfortunately a bid of 3m for my captain and star defender was accepted over my head, so off he trotted to the Championship with Blackburn meaning I had a sizable gap to fill in defence to compound my frustration.

I had only been given 600k of this 3m, and couldn’t find any players worthy of spending any large amounts of money on. I did however boost my squad with a mixture of freebies, released youngsters and bosmans.

My defence was now a lot stronger with the additions of an Albanian right back from a German 1st division club, a Danish centre back from Rosenberg and a French centre back who at 25 years old had only ever experienced reserve football at Bordeaux.

My midfield was boosted by a French born player-maker and a Dutch under 21 international who signed from Volendeem and was tipped for good things.

Up front I still had issues and as a last desperate attempt to find a striker I signed an Argentinean striker that had now been at my club (on loan) for the pervious 2 and a half seasons and done pretty well.

With my numbers bolstered I started the season unspectacularly, with 7 points after 6 games, sitting in 8th (somehow). My team needed time to settle and I needed to work out what my best team was. I went out of the cup to Roda at home in the 4th round, something that disappointed me greatly.

This took time and my form suffered as I went 7 without a win, suffering 5 defeats. I had sunk down to 15th by mid December and was looking over my shoulder knowing that unless I could turn things round I would be embroidered in a relegation battle.

As I entered the end January I had picked up 1 or 2 wins to boost my points tally, but sitting 13th I knew I had to get some new bodies in. My board didn’t help, selling my American playmaker that had been instrumental in the few wins I had got in December and January. To be fair to the board they accepted an offer of 4.5m with add-ons that I myself wouldn’t have turned down. I was given 1.4 million of this bounty.

With this increase cash injection and the arrival of the January transfer window, I signed a Ghanaian defensive midfielder to bolster my midfield and an aging 36 year old playmaker, who had great technical ability and I had aspirations of him taking over from my departing American midfielder in the short term. I had my scouts out desperately looking to find the striker that I felt I was lacking. They found many but I couldn’t find any young enough to fit my long term plans at Den Bosch. I therefore took the short term approach and signed a 32 year old Italian for 230k on deadline day.

I tinkered with my formation and used the Italian war horse as a target man. This had instant returns as he scored a hatrick on his debut, albeit against a team sitting in 17th. His arrival coincided with a great run of form whereby I went on a 5 match winning streak. In 3 games the Italian had become my top scorer with 5 goals and the saviour of my previously depressing season. These 15 points saw me rise to 9th and back in the chasing pack for a Euro playoff place like the previous year.

Unfortunately unlike the previous year I was lacking the quality to maintain my form and I sunk without a trace, losing 5 or my last 6 games. This coincided with the loss of goalscoring form from my Italian striker. This lack of momentum saw me move down to 10th, well and truly midtable.

I was champing at the bit for the next season, with Feyenoord having won their 6th successive championship title ,I was hoping that I would be able to be the team that could interrupt their success.

Position – 10th

Best player – my French play-maker had been solid all season and ended up with 10 assists and 6 goals. Over the summer his form saw him approached by Guadalope to represent them at international level. His stock now on the rise, some big clubs were interested in him…..I hoped to be able to hold on to him.

haha thank god for that wee winky!

I get the most out of game playing LLM the rules, so addictive! Although I do prefer ultimatly trying to work my way up to success in the top league possible.

Seasons going quite well so far (touch wood),i am sitting 4th on 22 Dec 2020. Willem II at the top at the moment....poor old Feyenoord!

2020/2021 – FC Den Bosch (Eredivisie league)

My 10th season in football management saw me with dreams of breaking the Feyenoord stranglehold over the Eredivisie.

My team was solid but lacked the class up front and squad depth to challenge. I decided to sell some of my players of value. I managed to rake in 8.5million from player sales – this included my Albanian right back for 4.5m, my under Dutch striker for 1.5m (who had been disappointing) and 2 of my Dutch striker, who weren’t really up to the level I required for 750k each. This left me with a wage bill over 100k.

As replacements I brought in an attacking Brazilian left back for 350k and a very solid Austrian right back for 100k. Both vast improvements on the previous year. The biggest improvements were up front, a position I had struggled with since hitting the top flight in Holland.

I released my Italian target man from the previous season, as despite starting with goals, his form dropped off and I felt I could get better. In came a Finnish international from Standard Liege who had been banging in goals, a 21 year old Uzbekistan striker from Germany who had a great finish on him and a 24 year old Italian who was rated as the best striker of the lot. I also managed to eventually sign a Chilean striker from his reserve team in Chile, for 24k. After 2 months of having a deal agreed I managed to get him after he finally passed a medical.

I now felt I had the strike force and squad depth to put in a decent fight for an automatic European place.

My season for once started brightly, as I sat 3rd after 11 games, winning 8, drawing 1. My strikers were all chipping in with goals with the most coming from my 21 year old Chilean – who was proving to b a bargain.

However as I entered into 2021, my form levelled out and although my home form was very strong, I found it difficult to get wins away from home and my form saw me slowly drop down to 6th. My main problem was beating the teams up and around me, meaning that these games were becoming 6 pointers. 6 pointers that I was ultimately losing.

Despite this I was very happy with this position and was hopeful that I would get the Europa league place I desired. However for the 2nd time in Holland, PSV beat me in the European play-off, albeit this time in the final where I put up more of a fight. My quest for European football continued.

Position – 6th

Best player – my Brazilian left back and Austian right backs both had very solid debut seasons and helped me establish myself as a top 6 club. Now that I was solid at the back I was preparing to gear myself for some transfer activity that would focus more on getting more goals into my side.

2021/2022 – FC Den Bosch (Eredivisie league)

The close season saw my team undergo massive changes and I felt as if the club as a whole had stepped up a level. The Board agreed to improve both the training and youth facilities which pleased me no end as I wanted to end up relying on youth prospects in the future rather than spending big money (ultimately despite this change my facilities remained only adequate).

I managed to do some wheeling and dealing and get :

• 5m for the Finish forward I got on a free the year before - he finished the season with 11 goals and wasn’t as effective as I had hoped)

• 5m for my Brazilian left back – he was a very good player but I made a vast amount of profit on him

• 7.75m for my Guadeloupe international playmaker - who despite having affection for I thought I had enough competition in midfield to allow him to go.

• 3.75m for the Italian midfielder I managed to sign only in January – despite being a decent player and doing well in his short time in the club I saw an opportunity to make some fast cash

These sales saw my wage and transfer budget grow tremendously. In came Nigerian and Dutch midfielders both from Feyenoord reserves on Bosman frees. These 2 midfielders would more than make up for the sales of my 2 other midfielders.

At left back I signed another Austrian fullback for 300k who looked very solid if not unspectacular as spectacular as the Brazilian who he was replacing.

I spent some big money on 2 centre backs. 1 was a 21 year old centre back from South Korea for 3.5m and the other was a Chilean 21 year old defender for 3.5m.

The best signing saw me get an unhappy Brazilian goalkeeper from Feyenoord’s reserves. I now felt I had a very very good defence and hoped that the additional quality in midfield would see me get the European spot I craved. The season started exceptional well, as I finally won a couple of away games against decent opposition and beat the teams at home comprehensively. My only 2 defeats coming out of the January transfer window were to Ajax away on the 3rd game of the season and to Feyenoord at home (who despite selling their world class striker were unbeaten at this point).

I had made great inroads and was battling it out for 2nd spot with Ajax. But eventually their extra strength in depth told as I hit a bit of a jittery finale. I finished comfortably 3rd, although was left wondering what might have been as I finished 3 points behind Ajax. It was however the 1st time I had ever qualified for Europe.

One suprising plus point to the season was my cup success, where I saw off a number of teams to ultimately face Ajax. Sadly I lost out 2-0 but the team once again seemed to make great strides as this was the first time I had ever done anything worth shouting about in the cup since I arrived in Holland.

I was confident that my team was now very good and I had goals across the frontline and in midfield as well as having a sturdy defence and goalkeeper. I just needed to remain stronger in more of the big games as this was where the title was won and lost.

Position – 3rd

Best player – My Nigerian central midfielder from Feyenoord whom I signed on a free at the start of the year was a revelation. He had a growing affinity with the fans after 3 months and ended the year with 31 assists!

He was followed closely by the Uzbekistan forward I signed from Germany the season before. He found his feet and ended up with 23 goals.

2022/2023 – FC Den Bosch (Eredivisie league)

Following the previous seasons success I was confident that I could push for the title. Feyenoord had begun chopping and changing their managers and sold their best player meaning that there was scope to beat an unsettled side.

Due t my small stadium size of about 7000, I was not unrealistic and realised that I needed to behave like a selling club in order to get a decent wage budget/transfer funds. Once again I sold a few of the players that had done well for me, had value but those that I thought I could live without.

The main players to leave were my:

• Italian forward for 7.5m,

• South Korean centre back for 4m (who had been disappointing – largely due to the fact that despite being awesome everywhere else I realised he had 4 for jumping )

• Brazilian goalkeeper no.1 for 6.25m– whom I was desperate to keep but he had other ideas, wanting to move to a bigger club.

In came a new centre back from Columbia for 2.2m who was strong and solid ……and could jump! I obviously needed to replace my GK so I got in a 21 Venezuelan for 6.25. He was talented and hopefully would step up and fill the void left by the previous incumbent.

I had 1 youth player promoted who was meant to be 1 of the best of his generation – I was keen to get him blooded. I also got in a 23 year old Dutch international forward for 1.7m who was languishing in Athletic Madrid’s reserves. I had hopes that he would become a bargain that I could sell on.

He didn’t really hit the heights I expected but my other striking options were strong and I hoped my Columbian striker, Uzbekistanian forward and an Austrian striker could do the job up front.

Again my Nigerian midfield dynamo linked up well with the Spanish deep lying midfielder (who I had got from Spurs 2 seasons ago) and the Dutch midfielder I also pinched from Feyenoord reserves to form a strong partnership.

This saw me go unbeaten for 25 games, drawing 2. I managed to beat PSV, Ajax and Feyenoord at home. Only losing my unbeaten status when I played Feyenoord away. I was so tough to score against that my strikers just had to do the business.

I applied and was offered the Cameroon bosses job. They had some decent players but no strength in depth - A challenge awaited me I felt.

In January I spiced up my frontline further with a Cameroonian forward for 8.25m who I had found by chance when looking for squad players for the international scene. My record buy was a highly talented boy and he ended the year with 13 goals in 13 games and 7 assists. He also picked up young player of the year.

Unlike the previous year I reverted to type and was knocked out in the 4th round of the cup.

My superb league form however saw me win the league with 88 points, 15 more than my rivals Feyenoord. I only lost 2 games in the league all year.

Position – 1st (champions)

Best player – My defence was awesome all year but my Cameroonian striker was a class apart in the division – I had high hopes for him!

After spending so long tryng to get there, I forgot to say about my progress in Europe!

I didnt realise that 3rd place saw you enter the Champions League qualifying rounds. I drew Dortmund and as expected lost 4-2 over 2 legs.

Therefore I entered the Europa league. I drew a tough group, seeing myself come up against Liverpool, Schalke and Spartak Moscow. I finished 3rd in the group and highlights saw me draw against Liverpool at Anfield. low lights saw me lose 3-0 at home to Schalke.

The board have agreed to build a new stadium.

Is it a bit petty of me that I am a tad sad that they didnt name it after me?Yes. Instead that honour goes to my former asistant manager, whom was a club legend when I joined the club and still is despite me releasing him last year.

The 27,000 seater stadium will be ready in 2 years and will see a vast improvement on the current 6210 capacity. This will hopefully mean me mopving away from being a selling club....just 2 years to wait :s

2023 – Cameroon (African Nations Cup)

Since becoming Cameroon boss I had only played a few games. As I entered the African Nations Cup I had won all 3 of my friendly matches against Saudi Arabia, Sweden and Mali.

The group I had been handed was competitive but I was confident that I could top the group and meet the FA's requirement of progressing to the semi finals.

I picked up 7 points from my 3 group games, beating Algeria and Mali and drawing with Togo.

I drew a tough team in the quart finals in the Invory Coast and despite a decent performance I lost 2-1 after extra time. I expected this to be my final act as Cameroon boss, but despite this board stated that they were keen for me to use my managerial ability to improve the nations fortunes.

2023/2024 – FC Den Bosch (Eredivisie league)

My title winning team was strong. I felt however that I needed to do my usual fire sale in order to keep the club afloat. The £32m bank loan to cover the new stadium worried me and I wanted to ensure that the club could enter the 2024/2025 season in a years time in good shape.

Out went my venezualan goalkeeper for 10m and a collection of squad players to top up the coffers. This enabled me to keep the wage budget at a decent level and ensure that my best players were on long (and manageable) contracts.

I signed only 2 players. I had kept the players from the previous title winning season and was hoping they could do the club proud again. A replacement goalkeeper was naturally essential, so in came a 21 year old South African for 4.5m. I also signed a versatile left back on a free from Bologna to provide me with now much needed cover down the left flank.

The season started well, seeing me beat Feyenoord in the Super Cup.

The league season was a lot tougher than the previous year, with Ajax seemingly offering me the biggest challenge to the title. Feyenoord were of course in the chasing pack also.

Despite being unbeaten until February and generally in 1st place I was wary of the challenge that was being offered. Fortunatly I managed to win key games when others slipped up and I finished in 1st by 3 points losing only 2 games. I did however draw a lot more games than the previous year and my points total was signifcantly lower. Im not moaning though, it was a good year!

In the Dutch cup I suffered disappointment again. The cup always seemed to elude me and only 1 decent cup run in all my time in Holland continued to disappoint me. Before I leave Holland I desperatly want to win it!

This season marked the first time I ever played in the Champions League proper. I drew Liverpool, Barcelona and Rangers in my group and I naturally struggled. The first 3 games saw me getting spanked as I failed to get used to football at this new level. A smash and grab 1-0 victory at the Nou Camp saw me achieve my finest ever win. As I entered the final group game vs Rangers I had the chance to pip the Scots to a Europa League spot. I duly suceeded, beating them 2-1 and finishing 3rd in the group stage.

In the Europa league I drew a team smaller than me in Ukranians Dynipro. I despatched these 5-3 on aggregate and then also beat Marseille 4-2 over both legs to enter the quarter finals. Sadly this was where my European tour ended as I got smashed 6-2 by Arsenal over 2 legs, including a 5-1 home demolition. Arsenal was different class!

Best player – My Uzbekistan international striker was now tearing it up and was a club legend. He was clearly one of the best strikers in the league and I just hope I can hold on to him. If I leave Bosch I will have to do my utmost to take him with me. 33 goals and 23 assists was just immense.

After the African Nations cup I grew tired as the boss of Cameroon and handed in my resignation on the eve of the 1st World Cup qualifier....I did feel a tad guilty though, obviously not ideal preparation! (They won 4-0 so that allieviated my guilty conscience)

Having had to use up my remaining holiday before April 1st, I now have from today and next week off work....with my girlfriend and mates at work I can see that I may have to indulge myself into the world of a footie manager to get by...:D

Yeah I think my week is going to see me going to the gym, watching footie and then Football Managing in between.....doesnt sound to shabby I guess.

If I start talking to myself I guess I may have to reconsider this plan!

At least my Fm save occupy me, I will provide an update shortly but I am entering the business end of the season and in July I move into my new stadium.

I dont know whether I should leave after a year in the new stadium in order to go to another European league? Any thoughts?

2024/2025 – FC Den Bosch (Eredivisie league)

The season before went well and I didnt want to make any unnecessary changes to the playing staff.

I did hower did need to bring some dosh in and I managed to get a total of 9.5m for my Austrian left back and my South American centre back. As a result I brought in a new German right back for 3.9m from FC Twente and a Brazilian left back for 1.5m from Napoli.

1 player of note came through the youth team. My assistant stated that he had the potential to be one of the best players of his generation. He immediatly looked better than his 18 year old team mate of whom the same was said. Both these players would be backup for my 1st choice Cameroon and Uzbeikistan strikers.

The season was to become my best ever as I managed to fight on multiple fronts. I finally won the elusive Dutch cup, beating Feyenoord 4-1 away in the semi final (with a hattrick from 1my 18 year old Dutch striker) before knocking out PSV 2-1 in the final.

The league campaign was my most consistent to date. Although I failed to beat my points tally in my 1st ever Dutch league winning campaign, I did manage to go the whole campaign unbeaten in the league and cup - something I was very proud of.

The majority of teams in the Dutch league are average with only 3 or 4 offering any real challenge,this obviously means that beating these 3 or 4 teams becomes vitally important if you want any success. My current team seems to be winning these battles.

The same cant be said for Europe where my Champions League experience was worse than the previous year and I failed to progress from the group stages. As I finished in 4th spot I didnt even get to try and prolong the European dream in the Europa league. Some work still needs to be done I feel.

At the end of the season the club had moved up in both the rich list and European rankings. I also made my way into the clubs Favoured personnel list and entered at 8th in the Dutch Hall of Fame. Good all round.

Best player – My striker from Cameroon hit a new club record for goals in a season and won the Golden Boot award. Despite initially being wary about spending such big money on a player, he really has come good and is already a hit with the fans.

You should go and manage in Andorra. There is some excellent apres ski.

Sadly the Andorran league may be a bit of a backwards step in my career at this point. Although if I ever need a bit of R&R I may just pay Andora a visit.

I was thinking of Germany, Italy or Spain...

Sadly the Andorran league may be a bit of a backwards step in my career at this point. Although if I ever need a bit of R&R I may just pay Andora a visit.

I was thinking of Germany, Italy or Spain...

Italy has some good apres ski too. I recommend Sauze d'Oulx.

I think I have decided what I am going to do.

My contract at Den Bosch expires in 2028, I will see out my contract with the aim of hopefully reaching the top of the Dutch Hall of fame and maybe establishing Den Bosch a bit more in Europe.

After this point I will resign and seek another challenge.

Obviously if I get sacked this plan goes out of the window....

Thanks, it would be nice to win one, but its a tough job trying to lure (and keep) players of the neccessary calibre in the Dutch league.....never know though!

My champions league group for this year looked easier than previous years as the clubs uefa coeficient is better by virtue of being in Euope for a couple of years now. This year I faced face Stoke (league runners up), Udinese (Serie A champion) and St Mirren (SPL champions) in the group stages.

Archived