[FM10] My Anfield Adventure

CAFCIan75

Game Set-up:

Football Manager 2010 with 10.2 patch

Leagues Loaded:

England (all), France (all), Italy (all), Spain (all), Belgium (all), Germany (all), Portugal (all), Croatia (top league), Czech Republic (top league), Holland (top league), Poland (top league), Ukraine (top league) and Serbia (top league).

Something different for me this time, I very rarely manage in England but I thought I would give it another go. Not being confident enough to start with a team near the bottom I have gone for Liverpool (I know there are a few Liverpool supporters on this forum so I will try not to embarrass your club too much!).

6762.png

LIVERPOOL FOOTBALL CLUB

Club Details...

Year Formed: 1892

Nickname(s): The Reds

Stadium: Anfield

Capacity: 45,276

Co-Chairmen: Tom Hicks and George Gillett

Honours...

Premier League (Division One) Champions: 1900-01, 1905-06, 1921-22, 1922-23, 1946-47, 1963-64, 1965-66, 1972-73, 1975-76, 1976-77, 1978-79, 1979-80, 1981-82, 1982-83, 1983-84, 1985-86, 1987-88 & 1989-90 (18 Championships)

FA Cup Winners: 1965, 1974, 1986, 1989, 1992, 2001 & 2006 (7 Cups)

League (Carling, Milk etc) Cup: 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1995, 2001 & 2003 (7 Cups)

European Cup/Champions League Winners: 1977, 1978, 1981, 1984 & 2005 (5 titles)

UEFA Cup Winners: 1973, 1976 & 2001 (3 Cups)

UEFA Super Cup Winners: 1977, 2001 & 2005 (3 Cups)

Club Expectations...

Media Prediction: 2nd

Board Expectations: Premier League (Challenge for the title), UEFA Champions League (Reach the Semi-Finals), FA Cup (Reach the Final) and Carling Cup (No expectations).

My Expectations: Obviously I feel we will be there or there abouts when it comes to the Premier League but I think with not much money to spend I don’t think we will make the UEFA Champions League Semi Finals I think the Quarter Finals would be a more realistic goal. As for the FA Cup I was hoping not to treat it as seriously as the Board and was planning on using it a competition to play fringe and reserve players. As for the Carling Cup I’m in agreement with the Board on that one.

*Next post transfers, squad and pre-season round-up

* Weeeman thanks for reading, I've always wanted to try managing Liverpool to see if I could get the best out of Torres and Gerrard and now's my chance.

Summer 2009 transfers...

augusttransfers2009.jpg

As you can see I made a bit of cash selling players who my scouts and I did not feel were good enough for Liverpool and once Real Madrid made an offer for Babel he wanted to talk to them so I had no choice really. I only want players at the club who want to play for us. Coming in I went for younger players with Jonjo Shelvey and Angel Di María. I’ve not come across Diego Souza in Football Manager before but my scouts rated him highly hence why it took a bid of £14million to sign him. As for Alexandre Penot my scouts are raving about this kid so £900,000 later and he was a Liverpool player.

DiegoSouza-1.jpg

A quick screenshot of our £14million signing

AlexandrePenot.jpg

It's hard to believe this kid is only 14!

Squad...

Goalkeepers: Obviously José Manuel Reina (27 years old) will be my first choice keeper but I think Diego Cavalieri (26) has a future at this club and will provide good back up and not let the side down when called upon. I also have David Martin (23) in the squad mainly just because I like to have three keepers but also because he is one of the few home-grown players we have at the club presently.

Full Backs: Glen Johnson (25) will be my first choice right back and he will be backed up by Philipp Degen (26), a player I am still yet to make a definitive decision on whether he is good enough for Liverpool Football Club or not. The left back spot gives me a big headache as I rate both Fábio Aurélio (29) and Emiliano Insúa (20) very highly so I will need pre-season to make my decision.

Centre Backs: I have Vice-Captain Jamie Carragher (31) as first choice in the centre and I am fortunate to have three quality centre backs to choose from to partner him. In my mind I favour Martin Skrtel (24) but it’s on the field that matters and Daniel Agger (24) and Sotiris Kyrgiakos (30) will both be given the chance to impress. Sotiris will get the first chance to impress as both Daniel and Martin are currently injured.

Defensive Midfielders: Argentinean international Javier Mascherano (25) will be my first choice defensive midfielder but I am concerned about his disciplinary record so I am fortunate enough to have very good back-up in the way of Lucas (22).

Central Midfielders: Alberto Aquilani (25) is currently injured and would ordinarily be my first choice in the centre of midfield but I feel he may find it hard to get back into the team as new signing Diego Souza (24) has been awesome during pre-season and looks like a fantastic acquisition. I also have Damien Plessis (21) in the squad and I will use him as cover for both the defensive and central midfield roles.

Right Wingers: Dirk Kuyt (29) has been a revelation since he was moved onto the wing and in my opinion he is one of the first names on the teams sheet every game. I don’t have a natural replacement for Dirk but I feel Yossi Benayoun (29) will be able to do a decent job for me when called upon.

Left Wingers: Albert Riera (27) and Angel Di María (21) will challenge for the spot on the left and initially I think I will plump for Angel on the left as I feel he is a better long term prospect in that position.

Attacking Midfielders: Captain Steven Gerrard (29) will obviously be my first choice in this position and when he is fit I will always be confident that we can win most games with ease. I have signed Jonjo Shelvey (17) as back-up to Steven and I am in no doubt that Jonjo will be a world class attacking midfielder in the future.

Strikers: Probably the easiest decision I will have to make in terms of team selection, Fernando Torres (25) will start whenever he is fit to play. Although it’s the easiest decision to make it’s the position that gives me the biggest problem because should Fernando suffer a long term injury I am not sure about whether David N’Gog (20) or Andriy Voronin (30) are good enough to fill in. Unfortunately the finances this season will not allow me to buy a world class reserve striker so I will have to make do with these two.

Pre-Season... (Please note the match reports will be a bit more detailed once the serious stuff starts)

Lincoln United 0-11 Liverpool – As expected we won with ease and Andriy Voronin celebrated his first start in a Liverpool shirt under my management with two goals. Yossi Benayoun and Albert Riera both also scored twice and Angel Di María, Diego Souza and Dirk Kuyt also found the net along with the two own goals they scored.

Swindon Town 0-5 Liverpool – I was very pleased with this result against a very good Swindon side at the County Ground. We had a surprising goal hero in Jamie Carragher who scored two of the strikes and Diego Souza, Steven Gerrard and David N’Gog rounded off the scoring.

Charlton Athletic 0-4 Liverpool – Another solid performance against another good League One side at The Valley. Yossi Benayoun, Dirk Kuyt and Albert Riera found the net in this one but goal of the game came from former Charlton star Jonjo Shelvey who lashed one past Darren Randolph from all of thirty yards.

Liverpool 2-0 Cruzeiro – In the first Semi-Final of the newly formed Anfield Cup we despatched of Brazilian side Cruzeiro with ease and should have scored five or six to be honest. Fernando Torres and David N’Gog scored the goals as we progressed to the final.

Liverpool 0-1 Besiktas – In the Anfield Cup final we did everything but score. We had fifteen shots to their three but their defence held firm and the cup would be heading to Turkey courtesy of Nihat’s 46th minute strike. I was disappointed that we lost but I could not fault the effort of the lads.

I have another save with Liverpool to quench my thirst for big money transfers.

A word of warning about money. When their loan repayments kick in it costs £3.5 million per month until 2020. Thats £42 million per year you need to find for the next 10 years on top of other costs. You might need to hold off with the £14m signings. ;)

Best of luck mate :thup:

- WH: Thanks for the advice on finances, I was not aware that the finances would be getting that bad. Thankfully I am confident the current squad will be good enough for a good couple of seasons so not much in the way of transfers will be necessary.

August 2009...

august2009.jpg

vs Sunderland (a) – We were much the better side and thoroughly deserved all three points. Torres was outstanding and his second goal in particular was superb. From my point of view a nice start to the season and a clean sheet as well.

vs Wolverhampton Wanderers (a) – How we did not win this match I will never know, we controlled the match from start to finish but could not find our way past Hennessey in the Wolves goal. Still four points from our opening two away games is a nice return.

vs Wigan Athletic (h) – Our first match at Anfield and three more points with Fernando Torres continuing his blistering start to the season with another two goals. I think 2-0 should have been 6-0 as we hit the woodwork four times.

vs Hull City (h) – Another three points at Anfield and we conceded our first goal of the season. In fact Hull took the lead less than five minutes in but we had turned it around in our favour by half time. The free kick from Aurélio was outstanding and came at the right time for us.

My Player of the Month for August: There could only be one winner of this award for me Fernando Torres has started the season in blistering form with five goals in our opening four matches.

Premiertable5thseptember.jpg

As you can see we sit nicely in 5th place and undefeated. Manchester City and Chelsea have flown out the blocks at the start of the season but we have the chance to end City’s run as they visit Anfield next.

I have another save with Liverpool to quench my thirst for big money transfers.

A word of warning about money. When their loan repayments kick in it costs £3.5 million per month until 2020. Thats £42 million per year you need to find for the next 10 years on top of other costs. You might need to hold off with the £14m signings. ;)

Best of luck mate :thup:

He'll probably get a board takeover in a few years anyway :thup:

Nice start, nice buy in Jonjo Shelvey! But damn, didnt take him long to score against us!

Just so happens I got his autograph on Saturday :)

Hope he is playing tonight, im leaving for the Valley in 15 mins :)

I will follow this, I'm going to predict a 4th spot finish. Mainly because Chelsea are to strong while City and Arsenal seem to bomb it.

Maybe you can better my prediction? Good luck!

Nice start, nice buy in Jonjo Shelvey! But damn, didnt take him long to score against us!

Just so happens I got his autograph on Saturday :)

Hope he is playing tonight, im leaving for the Valley in 15 mins :)

I will follow this, I'm going to predict a 4th spot finish. Mainly because Chelsea are to strong while City and Arsenal seem to bomb it.

Maybe you can better my prediction? Good luck!

Now is it me or is everyone bar my beloved Sheffield United playing tonight?

Good thing though, we need more time for injured players to get back, e.g. Captain Morgan and Marcel Seip, who cant play at the weekend anyway because its Plymouth, his parent club, they learnt the lesson from Blackpool then :rolleyes:

Archived