[Help] Defense Combination

Yes, I know you're probably thinking "jeez there has been many similar threads like this" and all but I don't know where to post as I don't wanna crash other people's thread. :)

So basically the thing is defense. Mine is crap. It's leaking averaging 1 goal/game. I know it doesn't seem that much but I've seen so many better defense so I would like some shares from the defense experts.

My tactic employs the usual flat 4 man defense with 1 anchor man sitting in front of them.

The constant factor in the tactic is the width which is pretty wide (17 or so notch), meanwhile I've been experimenting with defense line, players' mentality, marking, and closing down. And so far it has basically don't resulted in anything spectacular.

My preference is actually deep defense line as I like to counter attack (despite playing attacking).

The main problems are 3 things actually:

1. Long shooters from 'unexpected' - as in having < 10 long shots attribute - players from 30 or so yards.

2. Through balls played between defenders where forward run parallel with my last defender's shoulder and instead of chasing the ball and player they just stand there blanking out.

3. Again, through ball from (for example) right to the forward who is way behind the central defender but my left fullback played him onside.

What I've done..

For #1

Man marking with my DMC but results in the other MC who actually got a good long shot to do the same thing all over again.

Playing push up, see number 2 and 3.

For #2

Change to Zonal marking so they can focus on focus on their own area when balls played in. It doesn't do much.

Make them no tight mark so they don't focus on the player. Still nothing.

Told them to man mark, results in one player being dragged out and a through ball is placed behind that defender.

For #3

Play offside hoping to make them go forward a little on those kind of situations; nothing happened

Lower the central defenders' mentality even further - hoping to create a 'distance', but it doesn't change much. The fullback still behind the defense line.

=> This kinda distort me to the meaning of 'mentality' in the tactic. Is it 'where' they stand on the pitch - as in 1 being closer to our GK - or how the 'act' in the pitch?

What should I do? I've been testing so many combination for a week now and still found nothing.

Please, if you don't mind, share a 'good' combination in terms of:

Defense line on team - (I wouldn't mind playing push up with offside on if it helps)

Marking type, Tight Marking (or no)

Mentality and closing down changes (take the deafult 'defend' role as the standard)

for CBs and DMC

Thanks a mill.

Oh yeah, a little bit OOT but what does "Counter attack" box exactly do?

Will it make the team play more defensively and just hoping on counter attacks (even if the overall mentality is attacking) or they will just counter attack when they get the chance?

Something that I found which Kinda worked (seeing as your playing with an anchorman) is that you increase the closwing down of the midfield to help out the defence a lot, especially with the anchor man, and then set both central defenders to limited covers. That way they are always staying back, and the people running at them are generally closed down by the midfield. Not ideal, but it can stop the through ball thing. Would need to test it more though.

Yeah I've actually put a lot of closing down on my midfield and forwards and yes it is effective at the cost of stamina drainage.

But still the playmaker seems always to find a room for a through ball to slice the channels in my defense.

With deep defense line I thought it would help, but doesn't much really since it just give more space for opponent midfield to play. :(

The main problem is the through ball thing. I know it doesn't really affect me much. I mean I only conceded 1 goal/game and I'm on attacking tactic so that's normal really. But I really hate when these kinds of thing happen you know..

I've been addicted to tweaking the defense for a week now because of that.

Im kind of the same, by results and performances like to teas me before ultimately failing! For example I get clean sheets at Man U, Chelsea, Fiorientina but then concede goals and plenty of CCC's against Bolton, Borough and even Bristol City in the cup (although it was a weakened team).

I cant find the balance between being tight at the back but then also being able to attack freely. I have tried many of the same things as you but so far I have stuck with Zonal, Loose and a high defensive line but some how so many through balls split my defence. I think this may be a bug of some sort but dont quote me on that as it just seems to easy to slice open a defence right inbetween the CB's.

Im thinking about playing really narrow to limit the gaps at the back but I fear this will effect my attacking play. Other than that I cant help but like you Im hoping someone can at least give an insight!

I'd suggest adoping more of a Liverpool Mentality but make your full backs stay back. Use two very defensive DMs and two full backs set to defend. This still leaves you four players who don't have to think about defending. You can also make your width narrow as you now no longer need wingers, keep it narrow and probably long ball football. If your top four are creative enough then up top they will ignore long ball and play some decent football between themselves.

Please don't bump topics that still appear on page 1 :)

Oh sorry Cloen. :)

Im kind of the same, by results and performances like to teas me before ultimately failing! For example I get clean sheets at Man U, Chelsea, Fiorientina but then concede goals and plenty of CCC's against Bolton, Borough and even Bristol City in the cup (although it was a weakened team).

I cant find the balance between being tight at the back but then also being able to attack freely. I have tried many of the same things as you but so far I have stuck with Zonal, Loose and a high defensive line but some how so many through balls split my defence. I think this may be a bug of some sort but dont quote me on that as it just seems to easy to slice open a defence right inbetween the CB's.

Im thinking about playing really narrow to limit the gaps at the back but I fear this will effect my attacking play. Other than that I cant help but like you Im hoping someone can at least give an insight!

Yeah that's the problem. When you want to tight up your defense, it will affect your offense. So far I got no concern with offense, I'm banging like 4 goals a game now with a decent team. It's the one I bold is the main concern here.

So far, I'm playing deep with zonal no-tight marking. I set both of my defenders as 'cover' so that there is a difference of mentality between the full back and central defenders (you can do this manually really). I've been testing it on my teams as well as some testers on other forum and the defense was 'better' actually.

It limits the opponent to just long shot. One of them is conceding like 0 in 8 games. But I still can't manage to understand how playmaker still seemed to place the ball between the defenders and they're just stand there like statues. I hope that's a bug though, as well as the long shots one.

Archived