Help me beat Spurs!

How the hell do you beat Spurs and their freakin' 5-3-2 set up!? Tried it all but somehow they always seem to play good against me. I'm playing third season of Premier league, using 4-5-1 with a good solid team. I always have more possession, CCC and passes completed than them, but their strikers are clinical when getting a chance. They always start the game 3-5-2 but changes to 5-3-2 after a while.

My team:

DR: Azpilicueta

DL: Mattock

DC: Hummels

DC: Sakho

DM: Sandro

MC: Biglia

MC: Witsel

AMR: McGeady

AML: Defederico

A: Cristaldo

Have your full-backs press the Tottenham wingers, drop your defensive line a bit deeper and play Counter.

Other than that, you know your own management style and team - it's really up to you mate!

From start of match I can see it working, but when they switch to 5-3-2? Deep and counter against their five defenders?

How the hell do you beat Spurs and their freakin' 5-3-2 set up!? Tried it all but somehow they always seem to play good against me. I'm playing third season of Premier league, using 4-5-1 with a good solid team. I always have more possession, CCC and passes completed than them, but their strikers are clinical when getting a chance. They always start the game 3-5-2 but changes to 5-3-2 after a while.

My team:

DR: Azpilicueta

DL: Mattock

DC: Hummels

DC: Sakho

DM: Sandro

MC: Biglia

MC: Witsel

AMR: McGeady

AML: Defederico

A: Cristaldo

Playing with a goalkeeper would be a good start ;-)

How do you normally play in terms of starting strategy? If using the tactic creator I've noticed using a controlled approach against the bigger teams seems to do quite well. I actually play a 4-5-1 formation too the majority of the time and find this works for me against teams like Spurs.

Playing with a goalkeeper would be a good start ;-)

How do you normally play in terms of starting strategy? If using the tactic creator I've noticed using a controlled approach against the bigger teams seems to do quite well. I actually play a 4-5-1 formation too the majority of the time and find this works for me against teams like Spurs.

Oops, have Sommer as GK.

It depends on who I'm playing, but generally I start out with standard strategy and go from there. Normal defence line, mixed passing and normal width.

When Spurs changed to 5-3-2(still 0-0, and first half) I switched to controlled, high defence to put the ball in their half. I played ok, but didn't create as much as I would have wanted and they scored seven minutes from the end.....

Oops, have Sommer as GK.

It depends on who I'm playing, but generally I start out with standard strategy and go from there. Normal defence line, mixed passing and normal width.

When Spurs changed to 5-3-2(still 0-0, and first half) I switched to controlled, high defence to put the ball in their half. I played ok, but didn't create as much as I would have wanted and they scored seven minutes from the end.....

By pushing the d-line up when they switched you actually did Spurs a huge favour. You had space but as soon as you upped the d-line you took away the space and became more compact. Which will suit Spurs as they have 5 at the back and would normally be out numbered in midfield.

I'd have played a more direct game to get behind Spurs. I might have even dropped the d-line to first notch of normal or even last notch of deep. This should have forced Spurs further up the pitch and they would have been a lot easier to pick apart.

By pushing the d-line up when they switched you actually did Spurs a huge favour. You had space but as soon as you upped the d-line you took away the space and became more compact. Which will suit Spurs as they have 5 at the back and would normally be out numbered in midfield.

I'd have played a more direct game to get behind Spurs. I might have even dropped the d-line to first notch of normal or even last notch of deep. This should have forced Spurs further up the pitch and they would have been a lot easier to pick apart.

Ok, thanks for the feedback. But wouldn't it suit them well if I played deep as well? I mean, if they play 5-3-2 they are more then happy to sit back and grab a point? Then why would they move higher up if they don't have too?

Completely agree with this :thup:

Ok, thanks for the feedback. But wouldn't it suit them well if I played deep as well? I mean, if they play 5-3-2 they are more then happy to sit back and grab a point? Then why would they move higher up if they don't have too?

They wouldn't sit back and when the midfield got possession the players would all move up and you'd get the defenders stepping further up the field. Especially the wingbacks/fullbacks as they won't be defensive minded. As soon as one of the attacking players got the ball other players would look to support them.

By dropping the d-line you are also allowing yourself more space to play in. Again this forces the opposition to come and mark and tackle you.

They wouldn't sit back and when the midfield got possession the players would all move up and you'd get the defenders stepping further up the field. Especially the wingbacks/fullbacks as they won't be defensive minded. As soon as one of the attacking players got the ball other players would look to support them.

By dropping the d-line you are also allowing yourself more space to play in. Again this forces the opposition to come and mark and tackle you.

Ok, I see. I will take notes of this and hopefully learn something :)

I'm quite happy with the way I'm playing other teams and doing quite well, but Spurs and their way of play really confuses me. Hopefully I'll surprise them next time! :)

Thanks guys for the feedback. It's much appreciated

Archived