Changing Tactics with Shouts in Game

Hi Guys,

I'm just settling in for some Christmas Day Football Manager, and I thought I'd get some advice.

I'm just learning the game, and I'm trying to improve as I've never really been much cop at FM.

Anyway, I've started to adapt my tactics for each game more, particularly based around playing home and away.

I'm confused, though. Some people are telling me that you should adapt over the course of the game, whilst others are telling me that changes to the tactics will see me conceeding goals.

For instance, I was away at Millwall, playing as Carlisle, and I wasn't hopeful of a result. So I was playing less attacking then I would at home, trying to avoid leaving myself exposed at the back, with counter-attacking play so I could capitilise if an opportunity to break played up. Happily, Ian Harte played a pearl of a long ball which fell for my newly signed pacy striker, who stuck it home. Job done. Just before the break, the same striker got brought down in the box and we got another with a goal.

At this point, I set the team to "retain possession", so they would play safer passes so we could ride out the game, holding the ball and wasting a bit of time. We didn't need to risk things anymore, so I guessed this was the right move. However, by FT we'd lost 4-2.

Now in this situation, I have two questions. Firstly, was "Retaining Posession" the right move? We're not a great side, so really we probably can't sustain a short passing game and we'll give the ball away in a dangerous position if we keep playing short passes between one another. Am I right in thinking this contributed to my downfall? And what moves would you make to defend a lead agaisnt a stronger side?

Secondly, should I be changing tactics in game? What do you guys do? Is there a penalty for switching things mid-game?

The only one I've had success with is "Shoot on Sight" if the weather's bad, which usually makes the best of the poor conditions.

Anyway, hope you guys have a merry christmas.

I think you hit the nail on the head with your diagnosis of what went wrong. By attempting to retain possession, the opposition may have started to win the ball back in dangerous areas while you weren't taking advantage on the threat which had got you two goals.

In that situation, I would have been looking to 'clear ball to the flanks' but my exact instructions/shouts would depend a great deal on what the opposition are doing. Defending deeper and telling players to stay on their feet can work well in combination. There's a good thread with ideas by wwfan somewhere in this part of the forum, title is something to do with defence. If you can find it, it may give you some better practical advice than my drunken self can manage.

As far as I understand things, there is no 'tactical' penalty for changing tactics. What makes the difference is how well your team has 'gelled'. I regularly switch if something isn't working - after a while you start to spot when the opposition strikers are getting room between your defence and midfield and so you need to either drop your central midfield back a bit or push up your defensive line.

Have a merry Christmas :)

I'm confused, though. Some people are telling me that you should adapt over the course of the game, whilst others are telling me that changes to the tactics will see me conceeding goals.

People confuse tactics with formation. Changing your formation will confuse the players and lead to disorganisation. Changing tactics with shouts is very necessary, especially if it's a tight game and your players are not classes above the opposition.

Sometimes it does take an age for 'pending' to activate - see it as the players not hearing the manager for a while. But it does change from gray text pending to white text - then it's activated. I'm not sure if clicking the top of the box to make the drop down go away hurries things along or not.

Sometimes it does take an age for 'pending' to activate - see it as the players not hearing the manager for a while. But it does change from gray text pending to white text - then it's activated. I'm not sure if clicking the top of the box to make the drop down go away hurries things along or not.

My perception is that the drop-down needs to be down for it to take effect. Not sure whether that's just a graphical glitch in it not switching from 'pending' or just a false perception on my part - but the shouts never seem to change when I close the dropdown menu.

Hi can anyone tell me how to use the shout function please.

I can the instructions on my game screen whilst im playing but whenever i shout out an instruction it just says pending?

Sorry if im being boring and stupid but i would like to use this function.

Thanks for the info cheers.

Can I ask, what does 'pass into space' do with the sliders?

Think it changes 'Try Through Balls' to often.

I'd like to ask the OP what the half time team talk was in the Millwall/Carlisle example. Seems like a classic case of a demotivating team talk when 2-0 up away from home to me - the opposition get a better talk than yours and come out fired up making it nearly impossible for you regardless of tactical adjustments shouted or otherwise.

Think it changes 'Try Through Balls' to often.

I'd like to ask the OP what the half time team talk was in the Millwall/Carlisle example. Seems like a classic case of a demotivating team talk when 2-0 up away from home to me - the opposition get a better talk than yours and come out fired up making it nearly impossible for you regardless of tactical adjustments shouted or otherwise.

Thanks. That's why I couldn't find the difference, most of my team where already set to making a lot of through balls.

Archived