Deep or push up?

The answer might sound a little like a cliche, but....

It depends on your defenders and the opposition players and tactic.

It is impossible to totally deny your opposition space or ways to finish off their attacks. Perhaps they have to be allowed to attack in the way that they pose the smallest threat to score. The ability of all your players(Most important Defenders/Goalie) will have to be taken into account, before deciding on it.

One clear answer can be given when: Your defenders have sufficient speed and the opponents try to exploit the space between your defenders and midfielders. Then you should opt for your defenders pushing up. Both the pace of your defenders and the way the opposition launches attacks, suggest that this is the way to defend.

Another clear answer can be given when: Your defenders lack pace and the oppositon try to attack the space behind your defenders with pacey forwards. Then you should opt to sit deeper to prevent the through balls behind your defenders.

The problem is when you play against a team that uses both spaces when attacking. Then you have to enchance your tactics further to deny the opponents attacking opportunities. An example can be to employ a DMC when playing with a deep DL.

Something that would be a good idea for an thread, would be if i.e. five people started a new game with the same club. The participants could explain how and why they opted for the tactical choices they make. As the thread goes on viewers could follow how the season evolves for the different managers. That could be a good learning thread for all involved in it.

A very simple answer to your question is to overide the wizard. If you find a defence line that you like, then tick the box and it will stick.

LAM

If you drop your line deep and are conceding long shots, make sure you either have a DMC or (at the very least) a defensive-minded MC for cover. I'll usually drop my line deep (especially if I'm attacking, as I like my DCs to sink back and provide cover in the case of a counter), but I'll avoid it if I don't have a DMC somewhere.

What I do is play deep so nothing gets behind me, and then anybody who I think is dangerous with long shots or say dribbling, I would OI.

Closing down would probably work best for this, as well as tight marking and how hard you tackle.

I tend to give up a lot of fouls tho so be careful.

I know this isn't perfect but like it better than giving up through balls.

I find that so annoying!

Well one particular method is to get your two Centrebacks playing in depth rather than width so that one of your Centrebacks is responsible for that space infront of the defence while the other is responsible for covering the gaps, holding the defensive line, triggering the off-side trap and generally dealing with players that attempt to exploit your advanced Centreback. The knock-on effect of this strategy is that you will very often need your fullbacks to provide additional defensive cover for your Centrebacks and play alot narrower compared to usual. Great if your Fullbacks don't get forward very often but not so great if they do.

Another method that certainly seems to be employed in a lot of English sides is to play one Fullback that attacks regularly and have the other Fullback stay back for more of the game. This lop-sided defence allows for one Centreback to step out in the space while the other Centreback links up with the Fullback and forms a system much like 2 Centrebacks and a DMC.

As this man says:

I never play a deep D-Line without a DM or a defensive CM. Gap would be too big and be exploited.

The issue is not whether you push up or drop deep but how you deal with the spaces infront and behind the defence. Once you have a good strategy for dealing with the space infront and behind the defence then you can push up or drop deep according to the opponent to your hearts content, but you cannot afford to ignore that space wherever it exists and whoever is in it. The spaces around your Centrebacks are where goals come from and where everyone is looking to attack, so that is where you must focus your attention on defending properly.

What I do is play deep so nothing gets behind me, and then anybody who I think is dangerous with long shots or say dribbling, I would OI.

Closing down would probably work best for this, as well as tight marking and how hard you tackle.

I tend to give up a lot of fouls tho so be careful.

I know this isn't perfect but like it better than giving up through balls.

I find that so annoying!

The issue with that is that, in the absence of a DMC to close down, your DC is going to do it...and open up a big hole for the attacker to run through in the process. A "Ball-Winning" MC would probably help more.

Archived