How to set up passing - need ball possession

Currently playing as Bayern Munich, but I have some problems. My team tend to do bad passes, and often I don't have more than 50 % ball possession. This happens against all of the teams I play against.

So, anyone good at it, who could let me know how I should set up the passes to get more ball possession, which obviously turns into more chances?

Also, my players seem like idiots while they try to get the ball from the opponent. The opponent can run around my players, without any sign from my players of tackling and stealing the ball. I've tried having enormous pressure, but that can't help. Same about having no pressure.

To sum up, i need help for two things. One; more ball possission; how? And two; how to regain possession when lost it?

Thanks.

Probably the first suggestion to increase time of possession is to go for a lower tempo & short passing.

But maybe possession isn't the best way to measure success... I like to look at passing % and shots / shots on target. Am I getting more chances than my opponent? Am I making good attacking passes and not giving up possession foolishly?

If you stifle your opponent and frustrate their attacking momentum, they can still have high possession but are clearly outplayed. If you make decisive and successful attacking moves, you might not hold onto the ball as long, yet be very successful putting the ball in the net.

I tried one match with lower tempo while playing narrower. The match ended with victory 3-0. I can support the fact that if I play nice attacking football, they often get the ball and start their play. But the major problem then, is the fact that they play that good when they initiate their attacks. My players jogs around like hens waiting for food, doing nothing to collect the ball. We had just about the same amount of shots, while me being more clinical in front of goal. This should not be happening, especially when I'm at home!

It takes more time, but tweaking tackling and closing down by each player's ability helps make for efficient defending. Let superb tacklers go in hard to win the ball, let those who mark well play close. But those who can't shouldn't, it won't win the ball and might end up getting skinned. I know, it's a general response to a specific need...

The best way i've found to keep possession is to only allow through balls by the forwards, wingers and attacking midfielder, the rest of the team play simple passes to feet and I end up with over 60% possession playing as Port Vale as well as modifiing my tactic to suit my oppossition hates me to play, pay attention to your backroom staff when it comes to width, tempo, but never defensive line. My staff tell me that my opponents hate high defensive lines, yet my scout tells me they have fast strikers so should play deep, so I play deep, try not to get caught out on the break and am doing well with Port Vale.

So I should stop with through balls from my wing backs?

I tried pushing my defensive line up, at the click just before push up. Then, it is like mye players start the pressure higher up, at the same time my opponents get smaller space to go into.

Also, should I have hard tackles on my strikers/wingers/attacking midfielder?

I could offer a completely different approach to ball possession. I'd suggest to set time wasting to 15 or maybe 16. This will result in your players not foolishly rushing into risky passes or long shots. Have a look at the time wasting thread in this forum (not by me). Time wasting was an important factor for me in achieving a working fast playing style (quick and short passes) and yet keep a good part of ball possession on my side. For regaining possession i'd suggest a high d-line (needs fast defenders and obviously you should play the offside trap) and quite some pressing.

Archived