FM 08: West Ham United - Happy Hammers

westhamrob

OK, finished season 1 finally...

In the league finished 9th, could have finished higher but rested played near the end for the FA cup final. Won the final on penalties against Man U with M Johnson hitting the winning pen. Player of the Season was Bellamy finishing with 22 goals in all competetions. Top average rating was Dean Ashton with 7.17. Top assister was Nobby Solano with 13, which earnt him a new contract. Hatem Ben Arfa done well but had to go return to Lyon. Now trying to resign him on loan for season 2. Have accepted a 6 mill GBP from Derby fro Dyer. He wasn't in my plans and was aging fast. Also signed Martijn Schonewillie and Scott Fox for the U18 how won their league last season. Will add to that sqaud.

Have got 16.5 mill to spend (not including the possible 6 for Dyer), not sure how or what position to go for (excluding RB). My first choice 11 at the moment would be;

GK Rob Green (top top keeper, put on a 'goalkeeping clinic' many times, including the FA cup final)

RB Lucas Neil (i know, i know badly needs replacing. Mucked up many times last season, costs me games icon_mad.gif )

LB Manuel Da Costa (has 'almost' settled, still needs work, possibly replaced)

CD Martin Skrtel (top quality, stats have improved and very solid)

CD M Upson/ A Ferdinand (Both average, possible replacments)

RM Faubert/ Solano/ Jlungberg ?? (Not sure about right side, will cut down, possibly freddy, didn't play much last season and wasn't missed much)

LM Etherington (If I don't get ben arfa again, i will be in dire need of a left winger. Even then I may play him in the middle. Matty is at best, back up)

CM Parker (Quality, may need a back up but doesn't need replacing)

CM Michael Johnson/ Atiba Hutchinson (doing well, may need another CM just to push him, Hutchinson only good enough for back up)

ST Dean Ashton/ J Defoe (Both very good, very happy)

ST Craig Bellamy/ Mauro Zarate (Again very happy, won;t need any more first team stirkers. Also have Carlton Cole who is a admirable replacement.)

I qualified for europe through FA cup win. Need a squad capable to do well in that and also qualify for next year, which i promised my board.

Help would be GREATLY appreciatted...

(soryy for any spelling errors, rushed!)

will keep you updated...

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry for the double post...

Just signed J Stam (free) and M Laursen (1.9m) just to sure up the centre of defence for europe. Also just had a offer of 6.5 mil for Yoaan Gouffran accepted, has anyone had experience with him? Is he worth that money?

I started a new game lately and managed to get Bojan on loan. Simply amazing striker, who just seems to score for fun! Definately try to get him on loan.

A few others I tend to sign are:

Kerlon, takes a little while to get settled in but develops brilliantly!

Kompany, at £14m he almost blows the budget, but very decent signing to strengthen the defence now that Breno is unavailable.

Left backs, are pretty hard to get a decent one, either you can find a decent LB but he can't get a work permit or you sign one and he turns out OK, but not great. Nicky Shorey was an example for me here.

As for transfers out, I still find it extremely hard to sell my players. I used to be able to get rid of Bellamy for at least £8m in 8.0.1 but his stats have gone down a lot in 8.0.2 and he's now only floggable for £5m at most.

Spector I can usually sell as well, but never have much luck with Pantsil, Boa Morte, Davenport, Quashie or anyone else.

Originally posted by Zoom:

I started a new game lately and managed to get Bojan on loan. Simply amazing striker, who just seems to score for fun! Definately try to get him on loan.

A few others I tend to sign are:

Kerlon, takes a little while to get settled in but develops brilliantly!

Kompany, at £14m he almost blows the budget, but very decent signing to strengthen the defence now that Breno is unavailable.

Left backs, are pretty hard to get a decent one, either you can find a decent LB but he can't get a work permit or you sign one and he turns out OK, but not great. Nicky Shorey was an example for me here.

As for transfers out, I still find it extremely hard to sell my players. I used to be able to get rid of Bellamy for at least £8m in 8.0.1 but his stats have gone down a lot in 8.0.2 and he's now only floggable for £5m at most.

Spector I can usually sell as well, but never have much luck with Pantsil, Boa Morte, Davenport, Quashie or anyone else.

You might have made a mistake with Kerlon. Very injury prone, doesn't develop that brilliantly. He's a good player but there's better for cheaper, like Buonanotte, Amrabat, Defour, Rakitic or Pedro Ken to name a few.

As for left backs, most good LBs get permit on appeal. Next time you might want to try for Pineda, Mathieu, Pander, Berthod or Capuano, all of which auto-qualify for WP. Personally I like McCartney, then getting Mattock in to train up. If middlesborough get into trouble, get Taylor, he's absolutely immense.

As for selling players, the easy way to do it is list the player at 0 asking fee and reject all loans, then when clubs poke around offer the player at the price you want over 24 months. Never had any issue on 8.0.1 clearing all dead wood, including never selling Bellamy for less than 15 mil (got 17 once). Now it's harder, but you can get 3 for Panstil, 5 for Neill (replace with Hoyte, Bosingwa or Volz, imo he's too slow), 11+ for Bellamy (who usually scores a fair few but isn't worth 11m) and 1-2 for Davenport. I have never, ever gotten Quashie out of the club before his contract runs out, so I feel your pain there.

Hope any of that helps.

Originally posted by GWEBSTR2:

GK Rob Green (top top keeper, put on a 'goalkeeping clinic' many times, including the FA cup final)

RB Lucas Neil (i know, i know badly needs replacing. Mucked up many times last season, costs me games icon_mad.gif )

LB Manuel Da Costa (has 'almost' settled, still needs work, possibly replaced)

CD Martin Skrtel (top quality, stats have improved and very solid)

CD M Upson/ A Ferdinand (Both average, possible replacments)

RM Faubert/ Solano/ Jlungberg ?? (Not sure about right side, will cut down, possibly freddy, didn't play much last season and wasn't missed much)

LM Etherington (If I don't get ben arfa again, i will be in dire need of a left winger. Even then I may play him in the middle. Matty is at best, back up)

CM Parker (Quality, may need a back up but doesn't need replacing)

CM Michael Johnson/ Atiba Hutchinson (doing well, may need another CM just to push him, Hutchinson only good enough for back up)

ST Dean Ashton/ J Defoe (Both very good, very happy)

ST Craig Bellamy/ Mauro Zarate (Again very happy, won;t need any more first team stirkers. Also have Carlton Cole who is a admirable replacement.)

Leonardo has been absolute quality for me 3 games in a row now, including once with West Ham. You can usually get him on a free at the end of 09 I believe. Consistently gets 8s. For CM, try Arshavin. I played him with Parker, absolute class together.

GWEBSTR

Leonardo at LM has been absolute quality for me 3 games in a row now, including once with West Ham. You can usually get him on a free at the end of 09 I believe. Consistently gets 8s. For CM, try Arshavin. I played him withParker, absolute class together. At RB, MARVIN ANGULO. Trust me on this.

Ok about 8 games into season 2. My team is:

GK Green (top keeper still)

RB Solano, Stam (Both average, looking at marvin angulo as a cheap option for Jan)

LB M Da Costa (playing alot better now)

CB Skrtel/ Anton Ferdinand/ F Fazio/ M Laursen (None have really stood out, first choice would be Ferd and Skrtel)

DMC Parker/M Johnson (parker is playing very well keeping Johnson out of the team)

ML D Payet (12.25m signing, bit pricey but could have got alot worse)

MR Yoann Gouffran (5.5m signing, similar to Payet but cheaper)

MC/AMC Juan Roman Riquelme/ L Jimenez (Both well, Jimenez has a slight concern as I changed his status from first team to squad rotation)

ST Bellamy/ Defoe/ Ashton/ Zarate (Defoe is joint top scorer in the premier league, plays amazing with bellamy who has also scored 8 in all comp. Bit of a surprise partnership but work s very well. The other two have been in and out through injury)

Will post screenies in a few months time...

Decided to start another game with the Hammers, as my A.C one is getting a bit boring. Got a decent 4-4-2 Diamond up and running, made my transfers and let Ayesteran (took a bloody age to get him to sign) do the friendlies. Opened the season with a 2-0 win at home v Everton, a 2-1 loss at Old Trafford, and then made a few tweaks to the formation for the home game v Arsenal.

This is what happened.

I should point out that this isn't an entirely fresh DB, it's an edited 8.0.1, but the only changes that were involved in this match are Ashton having 14 accel/16 jumping, Upson has a few better stats due to being given 160 CA (to get picked for England), and Fabregas and Bendtdner have their 8.0.2 stats.

Oh, and to further Xmacius' point, Arshavin set up five of those goals, the others were a badly timed Silva backpass and Ashton heading in a corner.

I am now sitting in 10th in my online game as boss of the Hammers after half a dozen games.

Had a rocky start losing a few but appear to have stumbled across a gem of a signing who has slotted into midfield and turned my season around.

I signed Marek Sapana from Rosenborg for £2.5m and he has scored 4 goals in two games and provided 3 assists as well.

Found him while searching for a decent free kick and corner taker. Get him signed up folks.

Doing poorly in the league and i think it's because of the lack of pace in my backline. My first choice pairing is Ferdinand and Skrtel who don't have a pace or acceleration between them over 15. Im about 11th. One positive is that Robert Green is the form of his life. New signings Payet and Riquleme have also done well. Bellamy and Defoe have scored 14 in all comp. Ashton not far behind. Also LB and RB areas are very weak. At the moment it is Da Costa or Wiggins LB and Faubert or Solano RB. Opinions..

In desperate need of advice after last night's online marathon. I was unbeaten last night and even managed to dump my mates Spurs team out the Carling Cup at White Hart Lane (Sign Sapara from Rosenborg - I swear you won't be disappointed) but I am having bother playing against the AI.

Criag Gordon looks to be immense and helped Sunderland to a 0-0 draw at Upton Park and I drew 1-1 away at Derby and 3-3 away at Fulham.

The problem I have is that I always seem to be leading games going into the final 15 minutes and then lose a goal when the AI switches formation to 4-2-4. Any advice on what formation to switch to to combat this??

Okay, just finished season 2. Dmitri Payet is immense. I trained him to play ML as he was a AML only but didn't my formation. After he learnt ML he couldn't stop assisting. Now i play him Ml with an arrow going in field to the AMLC position ish. I highly recommend. Defoe was also good. Got 25 in all comp. Bellamy requested a transfer. I accepetd. Don't really want to sell but hes 29 and if I can raise a decent amount for him, i will definately sell. Finished 10th which is poor. Done well in UEFA cup until i met chelsea. Same situation in the FA cup. Next year may need a completely new backline. Da Costa is poor. Laursen is to old. Ferdinand never seems good enough and solanos contract will run out soon. Also have Skrtel and Fazio who have both woeful. Any one else had this problem with these two. Any tips for next season? Don't have the budget yet, but expecting alot. Oh yeah, youth such as Tomkins, Jordan Spence, Reid are all doing well with Spence scoring a free kick against Arsenal in the FA in a 1-0 win...

Will yet you know when i get my budget...

Recieved a very good budget of 16m. Looking at Bocaly (sp) at right back for around 5.5m. Anyone had hime before..

Also forget mention. Buy Riquleme. He was amazing last year. With stats and value increasing. up to 9.5m. And also Marijn Schonewille?

Are his stats random or has anyone else had any good experiences with him. He has just moved up from U18 to reserves after i signed him season 2. Scouts say he will be a leading star but when i signed him they said he would only be decent??

Hey, I'm West Ham 8.0.2

Not having a good season, I've invested more in the future than now, and I only have about 4mil left

westhamxw9.jpg

I need ideas on who to buy and who to sell and stuff if anyone can help

Cheers

u need to invest in the midfield area as Lee Bowyer Solano Ljunberg wont last long bring in some expereniced players for those positions some one who is going to last 3 or more seasons. I suggest looking in thew Arsenal reserves at Flamini Denilson or Song all of which are quality and Arsenal dont seem to use on the game.

For the defence Jacques Faty is your man he can play CB + RB should get him easily for around £6M

• 3 weeks later...

Have now moved into Jan 08 online and West Ham sit proudly in 7th. Ashton is constantly injured, but Zamora and bellamy are doing the business and I have even managed to bring Saivet on as a sub recently.

My crowning achievement of 2007 had to be selling Mullins to Wigan for £1.3m!!

Neither Bowyer or Solano will accept contract mutual terminations though so am stuck with them till the summer - even with them sitting in the reserves.

Signed up Lulinha for £2.2m and got a WP on appeal so he joins up in July 08.

Anyone have tips on players who get released in summer 2008 that are worth a look??

• 1 month later...

Finished my first online season last night and ended up tenth. Finding that tactics that work OK against the AI are not that brilliant when you come against "human" opposition. Anyone else have that problem?

My plan for season two is to free up space for my youngsters so that they get games in the reserves as well as out on loan. Planning on selling the following players (provided I can get buyers)

Wright, Neill, Pantsil, Gabbidon, Davenport, Collins, Quashie, Dyer, Boa Morte & Cole.

Bowyer and Solano are leaving on free transfers.

Any suggestions on good LB, MF & ST to buy?

on 8.02 i have 2 decent left backs - Andrew Taylor and that Mexican fella Pineda - although i signed pineda at the start so you may have missed the boat on him.

depends what kind of mids you are looking for really, how much do you have to spend?

i got Claudio Pizzaro at the start of the first season, absolute legend at upton park now! he has scored over 60 goals for us in 2 seasons.

has anybody else had problems getting rid of that disease known to man as kieron dyer? just finished my 2nd season and still nobody will take him, he has been listed on a free the entire time pretty much. I cannot stand him. £70k a week my arse!

In all seriousness, I've had a bit of trouble getting Ashton and Bellars to click as a strike pairing. Playing a pretty standard 4-4-2 with minor emphasis on slow, possession-oriented build up play. Should I go more direct?

Also, anyone else had Carlton Cole excel in the super-sub role? I throw him in around the 65th min. and he almost always scores or sets one up. Granted, it's really more like the 70th before he comes on, seeing as how he has to find his shirt first.

Never managed to get Ashton & Bellamy together for a run of games as they both get injured frequently which is why I have been looking at strikers.

I do have Kostadinov, Saivet, Piatti, Hora, Carroll & Moses in my youth and reserves. Do they do OK in the Premiership or is it better to send them out on loan?

Found a couple of left backs last night. Emanuelsson at Ajax (willing to sell for £9m) and Pander at a German club (sell at £4m). Anyone bought either of these guys?

Not happy about people telling me they can't sell Dyer either. Was hoping to raise some cash by selling my highly paid but under performing players and replacing them with youth.

My main transfer target is Bodmer at Lyon this season - maybe I can use Dyer in part exchange!

• 5 weeks later...

hey guys ive just started a game as the hammers.

Ins:

Joe Mattock as back up LB

Out:

Kyle Reid on loan

I have bids in for:

Aquino

Birkir Bjarnsson

Derek Boateng

Benoit Costil on loan

Steven Defour

Matias Fernandez (yes him and im very surprised my 5m upfront and 5 after 18 months has been accepted)

Rene Mihelic

Marek Sapara

Thiago

Oscar Trejo

Im looking to get rid of the dead wood, hopefully i can do and be able to have more funds to strengthen the squad, as I told the board I'd get them into europe through league pos so a lot of work on my hands.

Anyone got any ideas who else i should go for. Im going to be playing a 442 if that helps

I've played as West Ham, as I support them, and won the league in my second season. Huntelaar was a beast, as was Di Maria and Kuzmanovic.

Currently I am playing as West Ham, but a West Ham that would have been had all the academy players left; players like Rio, Lampard, and Joe Cole, aswell as John Terry, Sol Campbell and Kieron Richardson who all played for the clubs academy but were signed before making a first team appearence.

hey guys ive just started a game as the hammers.

Ins:

Joe Mattock as back up LB

Out:

Kyle Reid on loan

I have bids in for:

Aquino

Birkir Bjarnsson

Derek Boateng

Benoit Costil on loan

Steven Defour

Matias Fernandez (yes him and im very surprised my 5m upfront and 5 after 18 months has been accepted)

Rene Mihelic

Marek Sapara

Thiago

Oscar Trejo

Im looking to get rid of the dead wood, hopefully i can do and be able to have more funds to strengthen the squad, as I told the board I'd get them into europe through league pos so a lot of work on my hands.

Anyone got any ideas who else i should go for. Im going to be playing a 442 if that helps

If you sign anyone from that list make sure it is Sapara. Bought him at the start of 07/08 for my online game for £1.5m and he finished my top goal scorer. Mid way through 08/09 and has the most assists I have ever seen. Now valued at £5.75m.

I have Birkir as well, but he can't get a game ahead of Sapara, but is useful cover.

Sign Piatti if you can. I didn't play him much in 07/08, but in 08/09 he is really starting to motor. Same goes for Sakho from PSG - got loads of clubs making bids for him now.

im on my first season as west ham.

07-08 Transfer window

farfan 7.5 mil

arshavin 6.5mil

samba 1.5mil

matias fernandez 13mil

sakho free

saivet free

sankhare free

bostock free

Transfers out

none

i started using 4-2-3-1 with

Green

Neil-Samba-Ferdinand-Mcartney

Noble-Parker/Sankhare

Arshavin-Fernandez-Farfan

Ashton

started badly , but then things started to pick up , got knocked out of the league cup in fifth round by arsenal 2-1, ashton joint top score in the league atm, but just got injured for 2 months, its now 1st february im 7th in the league. but then my chairmen accepted a 6.75mil bid for mcartney from aston villa so he left and joined them. and they gave me no money for a replacement so had to start using sakho there and he played 4-5 so i had to sell lucas nei(2.5mil) and mathew etherington(1.5mil) to buy eduardo from botafogo for 3.25mil just beat wolves 5-2 in fa cup 3rd round. so now my team is

Green

pantsil-Samba-Ferdinand-eduardo

Noble-Parker/Sankhare

Arshavin-Fernandez-Farfan

Zamora til ashton is back

i think i definetly need to improve on my defence and get a extra striker any1 got any recommendations?but my balance is so bad atm i cant see it happening unless i sell. will keep informed

Just started FM again after taking a break from it cos it was getting boring. Updated my version as i was playing 8.0.1 last time and the first team i played was of course west ham again.

signed Paolo Ferreira, Jeremy Menez and Andrey Arshavin with my transfer budgets as well as rafael Forster coming in next season. Now trying desperately to raise money for more signings.

Any recommendations on who to sell? currently playing a 4-3-1-2 as i wanted to try something else instead of the standard 4-4-2 i normally use.

green

Neill, Ferdinand, Upson, Mccartney

Menez, Parker, Noble

Arshavin

Ashton Bellamy

Subs.

Wright

Ferreira

Gabbidon

Collins

Spector

Mullins

Dyer

Ljungberg

Bowyer

Zamora

• 4 weeks later...

Going into tonight's online game with 4 games left of the 08/09 season and sitting in second place. Piatti and Sapara have been awesome this year - must buys.

Squad (from memory) is

GK - Green & Grohe

FB - Arebola (LIV £1.5m bargain), Sakho, Faubert & Cuthbert

CB - Upson & Ferdinand - hardly need any back up's for these two but Davenport & Sakho fill in nicely

MF - Krancjar, Sapara, Piatti, Noble, Parker, Lulinha & Bjarnson

ST - Ashton, Bellamy, Pizzaro (CHE £1m at start of 08) & Gignac

More players to be sold during the summer to free up spaces for the likes of Fleck, Saivet, Kostadinov & Rapnik to progress. Youth is definately the way forward as I have sold Ljungberg, Zamora, Neill, McCarthy, Gabbidon & Collins and have Boa Morte, Cole & Dyer out on loan and have not missed any of them.

I finished 4th in my first season with west ham and the only player I signed was Piatti who grabbed 11 goals. Bellamy top scored with 15. Just started 2nd season (end of september). I'm 2nd with a game in hand, and I won my first champions league group stage match, 2-0 against Werder Bremen. Dyer is AWESOME- he's already scored 8 goals and is now a fan favourite of the fans.

Archived