From acorns do oak trees grow.

Graeme

Aguilas at home was next up for UD Almansa, and represented a must win game to keep ahead of the relegation dogfight.

I left the team largely unchanged, but included Javi on the bench as he had just resumed training. I asked for a reaction from the lads after the damp squib of Ceuta, and that was exactly what I got. We looked imperious, sweeping forward with intent and took only 6 minutes to take the lead with Muniozguren planting a far post header from a left wing Irazoki cross past the helpless visiting keeper. Our new found attacking confidence didn't abate there, and we continued to cause Aguilas problems with most of our forays into their half. It wasn't until the 27th minute though that we made the scoreline more comfortable. Eloi broke into the box and had his shirt pulled by a visiting defender, penalty. Eloi stepped up himself and slotted home for 2-0. We seemed to relax at this point, and not pose such an attacking threat, but rarely looked likely to concede so ended the half 2-0 in front.

I tried to get the lads to return to the flowing football that had seen us go 2-0 up and overwhelm the visiting defence. Piombo was on the bench for this one, and I wanted to give him 20 minutes to help him regain his fitness. With the second half starting like the first had ended, I changed the forward line around with Javi coming on for Oya. This did little to change the game though and Piombo made his return from injury for Manrique. The game though petered out again, but this time to a 2-0 victory.

Whilst I was happy that we had won, I wanted us to have gone on and really killed the game early. Perhaps if Estecha had been fit me might have, but he is still laid low with his muscle problem.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Weare very much into the run-in now and have only 7 games left. Linares away are the next opposition, a side around us in the table. I had a boost earlier in the week with captain and left-back Septien returning to training. He is an important member of the squad, but needs another little while to get back to match fitness before he plays. It's good now that we are starting to see the return to action of injured players, only Estecha is notably injured now although Piombo is a week or so from contending for a starting berth.

Our recent result combined with others have seen us establish a 10 point gap between us and the relegation playoff spot. If we have a good run-in, there is even a chance we can make a bid for the top half of the table. To do this though we need to have everyone fit and focussed entirely on the task at hand, starting with today.

Well, to say the teams were evenly matched would be an understatement. The first-half seemed to drag on for hours with little incident. Both teams were cancelling each other out, and without that spark of genius from either team, this game had 0-0 written all over it. It was no surprise then when the first half ended 0-0, so much toil, so little product.

I got a bit agitated at half time trying to force a reaction from the lads. We needed someone to step up and take the game by the scruff of the neck. If anyone did this from either side, they would win the game.

Disappointingly, it was Linares who did this when their midfielder skinned Manrique and set his forward through for the first goal of the game. Finally someone had shown a bit of class in the game, unfortunately it came from the opposition. The game then settled down again and there was little to choose between the sides. I held my subs back until 10 minutes to go, and then unleashed Carvajal, Conde and Oya into the frey. This had the desired effect of livening the game up. That defences seemed to open and chances strated coming for both sides. Linares however hadn't read the script, and doubled their lead on 86 minutes. Disaster. Muniozguren did get his second in 3 games with another towering back post header, but we were unable to force an equaliser in injury time and the game ended in a 2-1 loss.

I was disappointed that we hadn't started playing earlier, and the game was such a cagey affair until the last 10 minutes. Despite the loss though, we were still in the hunt for a great finish to the season, hopefully snatching mid-table obscurity from teh jaws of ignominy.

Following many away trips since Christmas, 4 of our last 6 games were at home infront of our small but good crowd. Villanueva were next up, and having beaten the bottom side 5-0 at their place earlier in the season, I saw this as a must win game. I threw Septien back into the side at left back as playing right backs Kisko or Rubio there meant they were constantly checking back inside rather than driving the line as I would want.

The reaction on the field was everything I could have hoped for. Villanueva were not a good side, and were very down on confidence so when Irazoki curled in a shot to the far post on 9 minutes, I was delighted at dominating the game. We continued to go forward in waves, and looked every bit the balanced side I was trying to create here at Almansa. On 26 minutes, Javi caused further problems in the Villanueva penalty box and was tripped for a penalty. Captain Septien stepped up to mark his return to action with a clean finish, the ball nestling in the bottom left corner of the net. We didn't let up there either, and should have been more up when Javi ran clear to finish clinically on 35 minutes for 3-0. Waves of pressure from us kept the visitors pinned back, but a lack of composure cost us several times and the half ended 3-0 Almansa.

I was pleased with the boys at half time, but warned them not to drop their guard. We were cruising, but I really wanted us to bury a side to show we were the team I believe we are.

The second half started in much the same vane, but we grew increasingly frustrated that we couldn't finish our good work. Subs were made with 25 minutes left to try to correct this, but our wasteful finishing continued. Fortunately, Villanueva seemed to be able to make no impression on us defensively, so we continued to batter them. The final whistle came with us still only leading 3-0, but a win is a win after all.

A great game for Almansa was tinged with slight frustration then, as we should have buried Villanueva in an avalanche of goals but only managed 3. The fact that we did manage 3 though allayed my frustration and I was happy with another 3 points.

Baza visited the Municipal next, in a game that remakably we were favourites in with the bookies for the second time this season. Reading the bookmakers reports has been quite depressing this season, with strap-lines such as "Almansa face the impossible!" appearing almost every week. This I felt was always harsh as we have more than held our own this season and were well above our expectation of doomed to relegation.

Piombo was now back in my starting XI, and I had the joy of welcoming Estecha back to training. He was still a week or so from being fit enough even for the bench, and a few weeks away from match fitness, but having your best player recover from injury is always a lift. Baza are around us in the league, and our 2-1 defeat away earlier in the season indicated that we were in for a close game. If we halbour any ambition of a top half finish though we must win this one.

The start of the first half was cagey, with both sides probing cautiously for openings. In the 11th minute though, a defensive slip by Juan Carlos let in Baza for an easy chance they couldn't miss. They didn't and we found ourselves behind. The goal seemed to spur us on though, and we attacked with more intent. Javi and Eloi were lightly wasteful in front of goal, and good goalkeeping kept us out until the 23rd minute, when Irazoki joined the attack creating a 2 on 1 which he finished well for 1-1. Baza seemed frustrated at this stage, and started comitting silly fouls. They picked up a few bookings, and when Muniozguren rounded the opposition left back once too many times, a second yellow card was produced and Baza were down to 10 men. Surprisingly, this seemed to have more of a positive effect on Baza than it did on us, and we struggled for shape and suddenly couldn't break down the rejuvinated Baza midfield and defence. This carried on to half time where we went in at 1 apiece.

I reshaped the side a little for the second half, asking the boys to stretch the game wide and long to really make our extra man count. This plan seemed to be working, as we switched play effectively and the Baza lads started to chase our shadows. Our pressure eventually told when the impressive Muniozguren yet again appeared at the back post for another towering header from an Irazoki cross. We were now leading and with little coming back, I made some changes to hopefully drive us forward anew. This we did, but our old problem with finishing re-emerged and we began to find new places in the stands for a ball to sit rather than working the goalkeeper. This lack of composure in-front of goal is my main disappointment for the season. If we were more effective at taking some of the wonderful chances we had created, we would already be a top-half team. As it was, we were a mid-table team and again unable to really kill a game off. Fortunately, Baza were too tired now to really mount an effective attacking threat, and our lack of composure didn't cost us and as we won 2-1.

2 wins on the bounce had lifted us to 11th place, within spitting distance of the top half. We would have to keep our form together though in the last 4 games if we are to reach my goal.

The strangely set fixture list sees 2 away games follow our 2 home games, with Conquense hosting us in the enxt match. Conquense are in a similar position to us, but are not a form side. They sit 6 points behind us, and this is certainly a game we can win. I was able to name Estecha on the bench, but as he's only 90% fit I cannot risk him from the start. Javi and Eloi therefore start up front, but with both stuttering a bit in front of goal, Estecha will certainly play a part.

A bad start to the game saw us go behind on 5 minutes, when our usually reliable centre-half Luis Lopez left his marker and a good cross picked out the Conquense forward for an unchallenged header. Individual errors and defensive lapses are the bane of managers lives as you can't account for human error in your planning. Conquense then sensed blood and came at us, but our defensive line looked more assured now after the shakey start we started to play ourselves into the game. Chances became fewer for both sides as the half wore on, but when Javi found space following a Muniozguren throughball, he placed his shot wide of the keeper and into the net behind. I was delighted for all of 5 minutes, as another defensive lapse let Conquense in for a second on the stroke of half-time.

I was angry at our defence for having made some basic errors gifting Conquense 2 goals. Attacking wise we had been solid if unspectacular, and needed to inject a sense of urgency into our play.

The second half was more positive. We looked more assured in defence, and got the ball wide in attack creating problems for the home defence. They held firm though, so I introduced Estecha with 25 minutes left to add some further threat to our attack. The players were visibly lifted when he entered the fray, and set about their work with more urgency. Estecha though looked like he lacked touch and match fitness and despite 1 or 2 good touches, didn't really get into the game. I took Oscar Rico off with 20 minutes left for Manrique to hopefully make our midfield more forceful, and was delighted on 84 minutes when a left wing Irazoki cross was met with a glorious diving header from the sub Manrique to level the game. The equaliser galvanised both sides and a frantic end to the game ensued with both sides spurning great chances for a winner. None came though and the game ended with everyone charged with excitement but a 2-2 scoreline.

Having given away 2 goals, I was very pleased that we showed the character to come back twice to salvage something from the game. I was also pleased to see Estecha back in an Almansa shirt, although he is clearly not yet ready for a full return. We must however eliminate the defensive lapses that cost us both Conquense goals.

Almansa's last away game of the season is a toughie against Sevilla B. We lost the first game against them 2-1 at home, but it could have been far worse. Sevilla's second string had won this league the previous year, and were thereabouts again. The playoff system and possibly the rules on B teams prevented their promotion, and we would need everything we had not to get beaten here. Estecha remained on the bench as he neared match fitness, and the team was unchanged for this encounter.

Predictably, Sevilla started the game well and were tearig us apart. ANother virtuoso performance from goalkeeper Aranda, some last ditch defending and poor finishing though kept the scores even until the 30 minute mark, when the home sides pressure eventually told for 1-0. We were not in the game at all, and Sevilla B continued to batter us doubling their advantage 10 minutes later. We then crumbled, fell apart and conceded immediately on 41 minutes and again on 44 minutes for a depressing 4-0 half time scoreline.

I tried to pick the lads up at half time, and made all 3 permitted subs in an effort to shore us up. Estecha came in for Javi up-front, Manrique replaced Oscar Rico to shore up the midfield and Ainzua replaced Juan Carlos who had been run ragged at the back.

This seemed to work, and we played our way into the game early in the second half. An Estecha flick on was collected by Eloi to run in and notch with a decent finish. 4-1, but I doubted a famous comeback was on teh cards. Sevilla's style didn't change though, we were just coping with it more effectively until Septien pulled an attackers shirt in the box and he stepped up himself to power the penalty past Aranda. 8 minutes later and a freekick was dispatched by Sevilla B for 6-1 after Luis Lopez had fouled a Sevilla stiker outside the box. As we tired, Sevilla B kept coming but we started to produce a fine rearguard display. Last-ditch defending was the best I could describe it as, but we managed to keep them out until the whistle blew for full-time.

Another 6-1 defeat, equalling our worst result of the season was depressing, but considering the gulf in talent between the sides, something like this could always happen. Unfortunately though, the lads were crestfallen, and nothing I said could pick them up. They would need to recover their confidence for our last 2 games though as despite being safe now from the relegation mire, a top half finish was still achievable.

A home game against Marbella who are in the relegation zone and pretty much doomed was next up for Almansa. The lads were still down after our hammering at Sevilla B the previous week, so I decided to include Estecha for his first start since he picked up his injury some 10 games ago.

We started on the back foot and looked nervous of conceeding, but Marbella are not in the relegation zone at this stage of the season without reason, and they failed to trouble Aranda too much early on. When we worked our way into the game, Marbella suffered a blow when their left-back was somewhat harshly sent off for a professional foul on Estecha. He might have been the last man but it was out fairly wide and Estecha was going round the outside not towards goal. Never look a gift horse in the mouth though, and this turned the game somewhat in our favour. It was still finely balanced, but we now controlled the posession and were creating the lion's share of the chances. Estecha's rustiness and Javi's lack of composure meant that we couldn't break the deadlock in the first half though, and we went in level at 0-0.

Some inspiring words from me at half time failed to get our lads to shoot straight though, and as Estecha tired I had to replace him on 65 minutes. I put on Oya into the midfield, and pushed Eloi forward in the hope of getting the all-important goal. Time and time again though we were wasteful, and I was now preying we didn't leave the back door open and actually lose this game. This didn't happen, and as an attacking force Marbella were spent. Unfortunately, we couldn't find a finish either and the game eneded in stalemante.

A somewhat disappointing game to go into the final match with, but as a reversal of the 6-1 drubbing I couldn't argue that the players done well to keep a clean sheet.

So, here it is, the final game of the season. Extremadura were the visitors to Municipal for the end of the 2005-2006 season. Extremadura lie just outside the promotion playoff zone and will be a stern test for us.

Estecha continued up-front, but I partnered him with Eloi this time to see if that would make a difference to our composure infront of goal. We exploded out of the dressing room, putting Extremadura under pressure from the first whistle. We got our reward in teh 4th minute when a good bit of skill from Eloi met an Extremadura leg for a penalty. Captain Septien stepped up but the keeper made a good save low down to his left and we were denied. I was starting to wonder if Eloi's strike at Sevilla would be the last Almansa goal of the season, but we were playing well against a good side and should be content with that for now. We continued to be the better side going forward, but Extremadura were gradually playing themselves into it and by half time the game was even and finely balanced, 0-0.

I gave a gladiator style half-time team talk, asking the lads for everything they had for the last 45 minutes of the season. A good reaction was given by the players and we eventually stuck one away through Eloi in the 52nd minute. If only Septien had scored the penalty, we would be 2 up and cruising now, but as it was we still had a fight on our hands. I had what I considered to be my best XI on the field, so didn't make any changes. In the 78th minute, a tired challenge in the midfield thoug created a 2-on-1 at the back and Extremadura made no mistake from their best chance of the game. I now had to do something, and threw on 3 subs refreshing the midfield and forward line. This opened the game up and chances started to come for both sides. Nothing was taken though and the frantic last period of the game, and the season, was brought to a close by the final whistle. 1-1, but it could have been so much better.

Against a good side and a much bigger club, it is fairly rare that you come off a pitch disappointed you havn't won. Against Extremadura however, this was exactly the case. We had finished in 13th place, 12 points ahead of the relegation bunfight, but depressingly only 3 points off 10th place and a top half finish. If we had won the last 2 games as we should, we would have achieved my goals and got lowly Almansa to be better than half the division.

The end of season table looks was as follows:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">| Pos | Inf | Team | | Pld | Won | Drn | Lst | For | Ag | G.D. | Pts |

| -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 1st | C | Badajoz | | 38 | 33 | 2 | 3 | 91 | 24 | +67 | 101 |

| -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 2nd | Pl | Sevilla B | | 38 | 30 | 6 | 2 | 86 | 27 | +59 | 96 |

| 3rd | Pl | Córdoba | | 38 | 29 | 4 | 5 | 99 | 28 | +71 | 91 |

| 4th | Pl | Jaén | | 38 | 19 | 12 | 7 | 66 | 38 | +28 | 69 |

| 5th | | Cartagena | | 38 | 19 | 10 | 9 | 72 | 48 | +24 | 67 |

| 6th | | Extremadura | | 38 | 18 | 9 | 11 | 67 | 49 | +18 | 63 |

| 7th | | Algeciras | | 38 | 15 | 9 | 14 | 50 | 46 | +4 | 54 |

| 8th | | Ceuta | | 38 | 15 | 8 | 15 | 49 | 52 | -3 | 53 |

| 9th | | U.D. Mérida | | 38 | 14 | 11 | 13 | 44 | 39 | +5 | 53 |

| 10th | | Écija | | 38 | 12 | 12 | 14 | 42 | 51 | -9 | 48 |

| 11th | | Linares | | 38 | 12 | 11 | 15 | 30 | 40 | -10 | 47 |

| 12th | | Talavera | | 38 | 12 | 10 | 16 | 36 | 47 | -11 | 46 |

| 13th | | Almansa | | 38 | 13 | 6 | 19 | 51 | 61 | -10 | 45 |

| 14th | | Conquense | | 38 | 9 | 14 | 15 | 32 | 43 | -11 | 41 |

| 15th | | Baza | | 38 | 10 | 11 | 17 | 37 | 53 | -16 | 41 |

| 16th | Pl | Díter Zafra | | 38 | 8 | 9 | 21 | 27 | 62 | -35 | 33 |

| 17th | R | Marbella | | 38 | 6 | 11 | 21 | 34 | 69 | -35 | 29 |

| 18th | R | Ãguilas | | 38 | 5 | 11 | 22 | 28 | 62 | -34 | 26 |

| 19th | R | Alcalá de Guadaira | | 38 | 5 | 9 | 24 | 32 | 79 | -47 | 24 |

| 20th | R | Villanueva | | 38 | 4 | 9 | 25 | 16 | 71 | -55 | 21 |

| | | | | | | | | | | | |

| -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|</pre>

Season Review 2005-2006

When I took the job at UD Almansa, I didn't really know what I was letting myself in for. What I found was a tiny club that was about half my own age and was barely expected to register a point in the season. The club were over £150,000 in debt, with no assistant manager and no structure to the playing side whatsoever. It was nigh on impossible to attract playing staff, and I had to wait until January to add to my meagre squad. It was a big job, but one that would give me an excellent grounding in football management.

On the other hand, I had an enthusiastic bunch of lads in the squad keen to prove themselves at this level, hoping to one day go on to bigger and better things. This is very akin to my own situation, as I want to rise to the top of the management pyramid and go down in history as the best manager in the game.

As I knew little of what the tems or style were in lower division Spanish football, much of my work involved building a system for us to stick to whatever the opposition. This we did, and despite some setbacks, we started to get results.

The season was very up and down, with fine wins and bad losses, but overall we managed more than a point a game, something that was not expected by anyone. We had some great games with good sides, and thoroughly proved ourselves worthy, depite what the bookies and comentators said every week. Indeed, if anyone had bet on us to win in each game, they would have won a fortune over the season. This is great, and what football is all about, having unfancied minnows competing with relative giants on an equal footing and I was delighted with the season.

At Almansa, we now have a positive bank balance of well over £400,000, a better playing squad than at the start of the season and everyone involved has a years more great experience on their CV. For me, the season is a personal triumph and one that I hope propels me to greater things in years to come.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wilbor!:

Great season for you, read every word, would you move on if offered another job after such a good start with them? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You'll have to wait and see I'm afraid icon_wink.gif

Just trying to build some suspense.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by irishregan:

I'm still following this one, enjoying the narrative, could you include a league table more often? Well done. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I will do from now on. I havn't done so so far as I basically got too far ahead of myself as I wanted to make sure I was going to continue with the game before starting to write this. As it stands game time now, I am 1 match into the new season so can be better with league tables now.

The Closed Season

After the trials and tribulations of an up and down league campaign, the players disappear off on holiday while the management staff try to improve the squad and find better ways of beating the teams around them.

This is exactly what I was trying to do before the transfer window opens in July. Offers were submitted to clubs for a number of players, and whilst many came back rejected by either the clubs or players, a few were starting to stick. Asier, a tough central defender from Cultural Durango agreed to sign for a total of £85,000, and striker Pitu from the same club accepted our contract offer for a fee of £120,000. Attacking midfielder Kike from Alicante agreed a contract as his club did not look like they wanted to retain his services, so he agreed to join on a free.

I then decided to wait until July to look at other players, as then players would be released from clubs and might be more willing to come to the minnows. I was however pleased with the three signings I had agreed, all of which are better players than we have currently but particularly Pitu, who will be a great foil alongside Estecha.

On a personal note, I have come to the thinking that I am being overlooked for jobs at a higher level because of a few things:

1. I am an Englishman in Spain, and it's very much out of sight out of mind back in England whilst Spanish teams might be less willing to employ a foriegner.

2. Depite a good record, I have only managed a tiny club. Chairmen will be less willing to employ someone who hasn't managed a bigger club.

3. Although I have had a great years experience, it doesn't compare to the many years some of my peers have.

I have therefore made the decision that I want to go back to England to build my career there, but having already eben rejected by Conference National and League 2 clubs, I feel I may have to start at regional Conference level. This is a bit depressing though as it would mean effectively starting again.

To this end, I have applied for jobs at Burton Albion and Stalybridge Celtic. In late June I hear that Burton have employed someone else without even interviewing me, so now I am certain I will have to start at regional Conference level.

With no offer on the table from any club, I will continue to plough my furrow at Almansa for the time being. July arrives, and as expected, a long list of potential players comes into my radar as they are released from their clubs. Many contract offers are faxed off to the players I feel would be good for the club. Many come back negative, but several are successful. We therefore sign the following players:

Ruben Jurado (striker)

Oya (attacking midfielder, was on loan with us last season)

Adrian Bruna (attacking midfielder)

Paco (talented young left-back, finally!)

With these additions, I now feel that Almansa have a squad that will comfortably stay in the division, and hopefully will challenge for the top half of the table. It is also a balanced squad, with enough players in each position to provide cover.

With a much larger squad though now, only being able to have 22 players registered for competitive matches and having no B team, there is little point in keeping some of the fringe players at the club. Several lads are therefore put on the transfer list, and youth centre back David Aguillar doesn't have his contract renewed. Jon Conde, a January signing, is unhappy at only being an occasional player, so I want to let him go. Benidorm offer £1,000 and I accept gratefully.

On my request, my assistant manager Miguel has arranged me a list of friendly matches. Some of them are as part of the contracts for me to sell players, so the pre-season list looks like this:

Llieda

Badajoz

Peralta

Ecija

Cultural Leonesa

Mallorca

All of these games are home games.

Having glanced through the fixtures for this year though it seems as though we have a better chance of doing something. Gone are the big clubs of Badajoz, Sevilla B, Cordoba and Extremadura I think, at least we don't play any of them before February 07. Two other B sides have entered the league though in Zaragoza B and Levante B. Zaragoza should be the favourites for the league title, but Levante should be an interesting game.

Pre-season training is once again a fitness slog for the lads, but again they should appreciate it further into the season. Without having heard anuthing from Stalybridge, I threw myself headlong into Almansa's pre-season programme.

Llieda and Badajoz were first up, and we gave both sides good games.

The Llieda game finished 2-2, with Pitu and Muniozguren on the scoresheet for us, and only a tragic late equaliser prevented us from winning the game.

Just before the Badajoz game though, I was alerted to the fact that Altricham were looking for a manager having been relegated meekly from the conference national the year before. I applied. The Badajoz game was arranged as part of Charly's transfer, and it was disappointing that he scored the only goal of the game. It was a good game though, a fantastic workout for the lads and we should have had something out of it.

After the Badajoz game, I had an offer that was too good to turn down for Rubio. We have cover, so I accepted. As I put the phone down though, it rang again. It was Geoff Goodwin the Altrincham chairman. He was very keen for me to join Alty and bought me a ticket to discuss the situation back in Manchester.

I went, and despite there being obvious problems at the club and I would have to take a 10% pay cut (despite that only being £10/week) I decided to cut my losses and get back into English football. I accepted, and then went back to Spain to explain to Almansa, the board, my staff and most of all the players that I had to go. They were disappointed, but understood. My Spanish soujourn had ended after 344 days, and it was with a slight tear in my eye that I boarded the plane back to Manchester airport to be unveiled as the new Alty manager.

Out of the frying pan, into the Altrincham fire

Alty is a club with issues. They were relagated from the Conference National the previous season easily, with barely a whimper. They have debts of about £150,000 (roughly the same as Almansa's were when I joined them), most of the playing squad failed miserably last year and yet the expectations are that I need to win the Conference North.

As a follower of Southport, I do know quite a bit about this level of football. I therefore look forward to trying to emulate Southports championship winning performance in 04-05, and win the Conference North. Before I signed for Alty on the 20/7/2006, Alty had gone about bringing some players in as follows:

Chris Noone (left mid, not great TBH) - Vauxhall Motors

Jordan Johnson (striker, OK) - Leek Town

Jody Banim - (Striker) - Stalybridge

Steve Daly (Striker) - Southport

Darren Craddock (Defender) - free agent

Jon Smith (Goalkeeper) - free agent.

I only know about Daly and Banim from personal experience. Steve Daly was part of the Conference North winning Southport team of 04/05, and is a decent player for this level.

Banim I knew of from his Droylsden days, where he was good when he wanted to be.

There are a few problems I have with the playing staff though:

1) There are no defensive central midfielders.

2) There is a lack of pace throughout the side.

3) We have too many wide players and not enough central attacking midfielders.

All of these problems will hopefully be remedied by a couple of free transfer signings, and 4 season long loans. To this end I talked to Assistant Manager Dalton Steele and drew up a fairly extensive list of potential candidates, 2 players to sign permanently had to be free agents, but looking as far up the leagues as possible for the loanees. We then faxed off contract and loan offers for a massive list of players and waited for the replies.

I again had to sort out what was a bit of a shambles with the training. I employed the same system I had used at Almansa for it, and got some real structure into the pre-season slog though.

After a meeting with the players, detailing exactly what I expected in the coming season, I went home. My Spanish adventure was well and truly over (Viva U.D. Almansa), and a new chapter had begun. My team were now going to be favourites in the league, rather than minnows, and the pressure to perform would be much greater. Whether I could achieve the clubs ambitions, I didn't know, but I did know that I would bust my hump trying.

Just 2 days into my Altrincham managership, and I face my first game, a friendly against Marine. Not knowing the players that well, I thought about letting Dalton Steele my assistant take the game, but I thought I might as well take the plunge myself.

I deployed the same formation and tactics as I had at Almansa, but without any defensive midfielders yet, I deployed centre-halves in the definsive midfield role. The guys were not ezactly fit though, and whilst it is my desire to play 22 players in each friendly, I had to make all 11 subs at half time when we lead 1-0 through midfielder Paul Murphy. Lee Hendley scored in the second half and despite conceeding a late goal, we won 2-1 and had dominated the game.

Satisfied with my first match in England, I awaited news on player arrivals. Fortunately, defensive midfielders Micheal Byrne and Brian Dutton signed 2 days later from the free agent pool to give my squad a more balanced look. None of my loan bids had yet come off though, so I went into the naxe game, Telford away with the same squad including my 2 new additions.

We went 1 up against Telford through Paul Murphy, then conceeded a sloppy goal before keeper Jon Smith was sent off for a silly challenge having rushed out of his area in first half injury time. The free kick was scored, but we played well after half time and a Jordan Johnson goal gave us a draw in the game.

Carshalton were next away, and they missed a penalty when Smith saved well before we went straight up the other end and scored through Steve Daly. We dominated the second half and scored again through Daly on the hour, before an injury time consolation from Carshalton meant another 2-1 win.

Bury visited Alty for our only home game of the pre-season fixture list. Striker Paul Lloyd had signed for the season on loan, and played a part in the second half. Ashley Winn, a midfielder from Morecambe had also signed on loan for the season and played the second half. We conceeded 2 goals in 25 minutes though, and despite having quite a bit of the play, we lost 2-0.

Ilkeston away was our final game, again won 2-1 with goals from Daly and Dutton. Another missed penalty in injury time from the oopposition was starting to cause me concern though. We seem to have a trend of conceeding late goals, and also giving away penalties, something I will have to look at closely.

Anyway, with the pre-season fixture list complete, we were now ready for our first league game of the season, at home to Lancaster City. No more loan signings had come through though yet, but we kept trying and went into the league season confident that we could cause some damage.

With the league season upon us, I sprang a few surprises with team selection. Firstly, I left out Jody Banim. He had underperformed in pre-season and didn't look fit, so I started with loanee Lloyd alongside Steve Daly up-front. Lloyd wasn't match fit yet either, but I wanted to really see what I had got in the loanee. Jordan Johnson was on the bench giving cover for the strikers. In the midfield, I started with Paul Murphy left side of 3, Nicky Fish in the middle and loanee Ashley Winn on the right of the 2, anchored by Micheal Byrne. It was expected that Dutton would anchor, but I felt Byrne was more ready. The back four, from right to left, read Stephen Rose, Darren Craddock, Peter Band and Chris Adams, with Jon Smith in goal. I was happy with that, and hoped we could gain instant success.

We started the game as favourites, and were much the better side early on, coming close through Murphy, Fish, Daly and Lloyd. Disaster on 16 minutes though, as Ashley Winn limped off the park with an injury. Hallows came on to replace him, but when Nicky Fish was carried off after 22 minutes to be replaced by Brian Dutton, I was starting to think we were in real trouble. When sub Marcus Hallows arrived unmarked for a back post header to put us 1-0 up on 28 minutes from a Paul Murphy cross, I couldn't hide my delight. We then controlled posession until half-time, looking a bit disorganised due to the enforced reshuffle, but still much the better side. 1-0 at half time.

I focussed my team talk on trying to encourage the lads as all but 1 of them would have to play the remainder of the game. I also tried to get them organised properly for the second half.

We started brightly enough, but wasteful finishing from several players cost us early and the game started to slide into a midfield battle. With Lloyd tiring up-front, I introduced the enthusiastic striker Johnson on the hour. This was just what the players needed it seemed, as 5 minutes later, good pressure from Johnson forced a bad backpass from which Johnson took the ball off the keeper and Daly struck home from 45 yards into an open net. Quite why he chose to hit the top left corner from there though I don't know. With the game now more secure, we looked confident in posession, rarely giving Lancaster a sniff. We were unable to add to our lead though, but fortunately didn't repeat our pre-season mistakes of conceeding late goals or penalties and won the game 2-0.

I was pleased with the lads after that result, as we had kept a clean sheet, dominated the game and coped will with 2 early injuries. Winn would be out for a few weeks, and Fish for even longer. This was a bit gutting, but strengthened my resolve to succeed in the loan market and get 2 more attacking central midfielders in for the season.

The following Tuesday, Alty made the journey accross the pennines to Harrogate, where in 2005 I had watched Southport claim the 04-05 Conference North title. I was desperate to follow that with a good win for Alty. Lloyd wasn't fit to start the game, so I included Banim. Hallows started in place of Winn, and Lewis Chalmers came in for Fish.

I was hoping the squad would cope, robbed of 2 good players to injury in 1 game. I needn't have worried though, as Alty roared out of the blocks, forcing the Harrogate keeper into some early acrobatics. When Steve Daly broke down the right on 12 minutes and crossed low for an unmarked Banim to tap home, I was jumping up and down like Stuart Pearce. The goal seemed to spark resistance in Harrogate though and they adjusted their formation to cope better with our style. We were now finding it more difficult to break Harrogate down, but not really under great threat at the back. This continued until the half-time whistle blew at 1-0 Alty.

The lads were getting frustrated, so I tried to calm them down at the break and send them out to be more clinical and composed. This we were, but Harrogate were still being very stubborn. When Banim tired, I replaced him with Johnson with 20 minutes to go. I brought on Dutton for Chalmers, and Jamie Burns for Hallows. This disruption gave Harrogate a bit of impetus, but all their toil couldn't beat Smith who had to save smartly twice. As the final whistle was drawing near, Harrogate started to commit more men forward, and Johnson was able to latch onto a hopeful throughball to finish smartly with a far-post shot for 2-0. At this we relaxed, and I was disapointed to concede a goal at the end of normal time when some sloppy defending allowed a free header. This shook us somewhat, and we woke up going straight to the other end and Johnson made no mistake with a tap in from a Daly cross for 3-1.

The game then ended, and the frantic final 10 minutes had yeilded another 3 points. The lads were now on top of the world and very pleased that they had won 2 in 2 after the previous seasons disappointment.

Good news after the Harrogate win, attacking midfielders Chris Porter and Lee Whittington have agreed to spend the season at Moss Lane. Both would have been in contention for the next game at home to Stafford Rangers but for a training injury on his first day for Whittington that would keep him out for a few weeks. Porter does make the bench, and with Dutton in the starting line-up and Lloyd back in for banim, The Robins would be confident going into this one.

We did indeed start the game confidently, but found our opposition to be strong, hard and fit. The game was like Arsenal vs Bolton, with us showing the better passing, movement and skill, but Stafford being the aggressors with a high tempo and tight marking all over the pitch. Another disaster on 26 minutes though as Daly was caught and limped off. Another injury added to our growing list. The first half was a bit of a stalemate then, but the away side had created the better chances of the few that came. We would have to toughen up sharpish if we were to triumph here.

I tried to get the passion going in the lads at half-time. We had to match the effort Stafford were putting in, then our greater quality would show. When the second half started however, it was clear that Stafford would fight tooth and nail, and being a bigger, stronger side, looked fairly comfortable against us. When Stafford muscled their way through our defence on 56 minutes to score an opener, I decided enough was enough and used my remaining 2 subs to throw Byrne and Porter on in place of Hallows and Chalmers in midfield. This paid insant dividends as a neat bit of skill and a fine finish gave Porter a debut goal only 3 minutes after coming on. The game was now on and both teams set about attacking with gusto. Still not very many clear cut chances were being created though, and it would take a moment of magic to win this game. I thought we had found this magic with 5 minutes remaining, when the Stafford net burst with a great Johnson header, only for a harsh offside flag to rule it out. Fortunately, Stafford couldn't come up with any magic of their own and the final whistle heralded a stalemate, 1-1.

Our first dropped points of the season meant we were no longer joint top. But as I said to the lads, tables after 3 games are worthless and it's how we react that counts. With Worcester away next up, we had to get back to what we do best, good football.

After a shakey game against Stafford, we needed to put things right away at Worcester. The opposition are a lowly club, struggling with life in this league early on, so on the face of it we should have success here.

Byrne came back in for Dutton in the midfield anchor role, and Banim returned up-front as Daly was out with a slight niggle.

We started slowly, not finding our rhythm early until the impressive Murphy started to impose himself on the game. When our midfield take control of a game, it really is a sight to behold with th opposition chasing shadows all over the pitch. When Banim finished from six yards following another flowing move, we looked set to go on and win heavily. With Lloyd and Banim up front though, they didn't seem to gel together well, and we were missing chances and misplacing passes all of a sudden in key areas. Both play OK alongside the more physical Daly, but not it seems with each other. This was the situation at half time, and as Worcester had yet to mount a serious attack on our goal we were seemingly in no danger, despite our poor play in the final third.

I encouraged the lads on at half-time, asking the midfielders to get forward more and support the front 2. Hopefully this would illeviate the problems Banim and Lloyd seemed to have playing alongside each other. Iw ould give it 20 minutes to improve, if not, one of them would be off.

Well, the first 20 minutes of the second half was much like the last 20 minutes of the first. Poor link up in the final third meant we were wasting good posession in key areas. Again though, Worcester seemed to have no attacking impetus, and our back 4 were comfortable. To remedy this, I threw on Jordan Johnson up front, Dutton and Hallows came into the midfield. The reaction from these subs was quite astonishing. We were now mounting and maintaining serious pressure on Worcester, and only some good goalkeeping and a bit of luck kept the score at 1-0. With 75 minutes on the clock, our pressure finally told, with Johnson finishing smartly from a right wing centre. When Johnson was pushed in the box 4 minutes later, the ref awarded us a penalty. Up stepped left-back Adams, only to see his spot kick saved after he had elected for power. On 85 minutes though, the game was put beyond all doubt when Johnson raced clear to slide the ball under to home goalkeeper for 3-0. We then kept up the pressure until the final whistle, but were unable to add to our tally, so 3-0 it finished.

We had totally dominated this one, and really should have won by more. Hopefully an understanding will develop between Banim and Lloyd, although they both seem to play better alongside someone else. Jordan Johnson though is proving to be a good little player, and might warrant a start soon over his more experienced and illustrious compatriots. I also hope that injuries will abate, and I will start being able to select from a full squad for once this season.

Following the Worcester game, we had a 2 week break from league fixtures due to the internationals. Quite why the Conference North had this break I don't know as the league is hardly littered with international players. A 2 week break though provided the opportunity to try to get some of my injured squad back to fitness though. Daly returned and would be fit for thenext game, loanees Whitington and Winn also returned to training, but only Winn could be considered for the next game at home to Vauxhall Motors. Banim had picked up a knock in training though, and would not participate. Vauxhall are a tough side, who are very competitive all over the pitch and would be a stern test for my Alty boys.

We started brightly, with good front running from Daly and Lloyd causing problems in the Vauxhall defence. The oppositions competitive style hadn't really got into gear though as we seemed sharper and quicker to the ball. A good move through the midfield on 11 minutes was well finished by Daly, continuing his good form when he has been available. Unfortunately, Murphy then went down injured in the 16th minute and another early change was forced, with Porter replacing him. Murphy is probably our best player, and we were missing him after he went off injured. Our most reliable source of creating chances had been culled. This brought Vauxhall back into the game slightly, but their toil was well repelled by our defence and we stood firm against them. We were still creating more of the opprtunities, but now they were less clear cut as the half time whistle blew at 1-0 Alty.

I encouraged the lads to get back to the flowing attacking style of football that has brought us most of our goals this season, even without Murphy. We still had enough talent on the field to win this game comfortably, and I was sure we could go on and win.

The second half started with Vauxhall having been revved up by their manager, and they came out at us hard. Only some great last ditch defending from Craddock and Band coupled with a couple of smart stops from Jon Smith in goal had kept us in front. On the hour, I felt fresh legs were needed, and brought on Byrne into the midfield, and Johnson for the recently recovered Daly up-front. The pattern of the game now was falling into Vauxhall having posession in our half, and us breaking when we could though. As the game wore on, Vauxhall comitted more men forward, and when Lloyd broke free, his run wasn't tracked and his finish gave us a 2 goal advantage. Vauxhall then threw everything at us, and in the 83rd minute they got one back as a result of slack marking back post by Adams at left-back. We then seemed to get back to what we knew best, which was keeping the ball and going forward with purpose and started to pose a real threat to the Vauxhall goal again. When Bryne went down injured though on 89 minutes, having used all my subs we went down to 10 men and had to really hang on throughout a fraught 5 minutes of injury time. But hang on we did, and a hard fought 2-1 win was our reward.

The loss of 2 more players to injury had put a downer on a decent result. I don't want to be a manager who whinges about their treatment room being cluttered by too many of their squad, but this was becoming silly. Because of these injuries we were struggling to name the same XI for 2 weeks running, and despite having signed 2 midfielders to contracts and 3 more on loan, we were looking short in that area. Still, 4 wins and a draw from our first 5 games had given me and the lads the belief that we could go on and challenge very seriously for this league, and I knew with a few players back on the pitch we would be a match for anyone in this league.

After 5 games, the table was looking good for us. There are however a cluster of clubs at the top and we would have to stay on our game to try to put some distance between us and the chasing pack.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">| Pos | Inf | Team | | Pld | Won | Drn | Lst | For | Ag | G.D. | Pts |

| --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 1st | | Altrincham | | 5 | 4 | 1 | 0 | 11 | 3 | +8 | 13 |

| --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 2nd | | Barrow | | 5 | 4 | 1 | 0 | 14 | 8 | +6 | 13 |

| 3rd | | Kettering | | 5 | 4 | 0 | 1 | 9 | 4 | +5 | 12 |

| 4th | | Stafford | | 5 | 3 | 2 | 0 | 8 | 3 | +5 | 11 |

| 5th | | Harrogate | | 5 | 3 | 1 | 1 | 5 | 3 | +2 | 10 |

| 6th | | Alfreton | | 5 | 3 | 0 | 2 | 10 | 4 | +6 | 9 |

| 7th | | Northwich | | 5 | 3 | 0 | 2 | 9 | 6 | +3 | 9 |

| 8th | | Moor Green | | 5 | 2 | 2 | 1 | 6 | 4 | +2 | 8 |

| 9th | | Hinckley | | 5 | 2 | 1 | 2 | 6 | 3 | +3 | 7 |

| 10th | | Hednesford | | 5 | 2 | 1 | 2 | 8 | 7 | +1 | 7 |

| 11th | | Hucknall | | 5 | 2 | 1 | 2 | 4 | 4 | 0 | 7 |

| 12th | | Gateshead | | 5 | 2 | 0 | 3 | 6 | 7 | -1 | 6 |

| 13th | | Vauxhall Motors | | 5 | 2 | 0 | 3 | 5 | 7 | -2 | 6 |

| 14th | | Burscough | | 5 | 1 | 3 | 1 | 5 | 8 | -3 | 6 |

| 15th | | Stalybridge | | 5 | 2 | 0 | 3 | 2 | 7 | -5 | 6 |

| 16th | | Lancaster | | 5 | 1 | 2 | 2 | 4 | 5 | -1 | 5 |

| 17th | | Redditch | | 5 | 1 | 1 | 3 | 6 | 9 | -3 | 4 |

| 18th | | Bradford PA | | 5 | 1 | 1 | 3 | 5 | 10 | -5 | 4 |

| 19th | | Leigh RMI | | 5 | 0 | 3 | 2 | 3 | 5 | -2 | 3 |

| 20th | | Worcester | | 5 | 1 | 0 | 4 | 4 | 13 | -9 | 3 |

| 21st | | Worksop | | 5 | 0 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 9 | -5 | 2 |

| 22nd | | Gainsborough | | 5 | 0 | 2 | 3 | 2 | 7 | -5 | 2 |

| | | | | | | | | | | | |

</pre>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gricehead:

Good story so far! Nice to see someone changing teams a bit rather than just sticking it out with one club. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you. I figure that if I were to try to get into real management, this'd be the way I had to do it i.e. be unemployed, take whatever comes up and try to build a reputation. Take job offers etc. when you could get more reputation quicker and easier etc.

Next up for my Alty boys was Moor Green away. With Byrne and Dutton both out, we have no defensive midfielders in the squad. With Fish and Murphy also out and some folk struggling to get back to fitness from injury, we were struggling full stop for midfielders. Still, a winnable game and one that we could do with maximum points from to try to press home an advantage in the league.

I decided to play Barnard at defensive midfield and keep the familiar shape to our side. Barnard is a sweeper, so should be OK in the midfield anchor role.

The game started brightly with chances for Daly early on. Moor Green were struggling with our passing game, but managed a counter attack on 9 minutes that gave them a totally undeserved lead. We came back strong and forced some good saves from the Moor Green keeper before Porter showed a bit of class to head home on 23 minutes. We kept up the pressure and it told in the 37th minute when Daly ran clear to score. In the 43rd minute, a Winn cross was headed home by a Moor Green defender under big pressure from Daly and we were now coasting. Half time then came to the relief of the Moor Green manager and we were comfortable in the game and 3-1 up.

I urged my lads to be cautious of a backlash from Moor Green who cannot have been happy with their first half performance. I expected them to come at us hard after the interval, but instead they dropped deep and tried to stifle our attacking prowess. To be fair, it worked and we were now playing a gae of cat and mouse, keeping the ball and probing for weaknesses to try to break them down. Some added attacking impetus in teh form of 3 subs in the 68th minute didn't help us greatly, and the second half was going to be a dull one until Barnard went down injured on 81 minutes. With no subs left available, we had to rejig the side and just try to get through the rest of the game unscathed. Moor Green did mount some pressure, but failed to capitalise with Smith in goal making a couple of good saves.

A 3-1 win with low availability in key positions was a good result, and kept up our unbeaten start to the season. We would need more of this if we are to succeed and win the division though. A break from league competition could be good for us, and the FA Cup second qualifying round drew us away to Fareham. One that we must win as we are still very much in debt. Without the offers I got at Almansa for players, getting out of this debt would be a much harder and longer road despite the debt being about the same between the two clubs.

The distraction of the FA Cup second qualifying round away to Fareham could either be a welcome one or a disaster. We need good cup runs financially to try to ease some of the debt, but that would largely be solved the following summer if we managed to get promotion. Still, a good cup run would be positive for the lads.

Dutton was back in training, not 100% fit, but due to lack of numbers I risked putting him in. Banim was also back in training, but even less fit so the forwards remained the same. Fish, Byrne and Murphy were all still out though. I therefore sent out my tired lads for another hurah, hoping to have a real go early then rest some of the team for forthcoming games.

The reaction I asked for was exactly what I got. We came forward in waves early on, with Daly and Johnson going close before Johnson slipped the ball through for the run of Daly who finished crisply for 1-0 in the 6th minute. Our pressure continued with Daly, Porter and Hallows either going close or forcing the Fareham keeper into acrobatics before a long goal kick was flicked on by Porter for Daly, who again finished well in the 20th minute. It didn't end there as Fareham didn't know what had hit them. We were causing problems all over the pitch and when Porter crossed from the left wing, Hallows made no mistake on the back post with an free header for 3-0 on 35 minutes. We continued to press, but the Fareham keeper was having a good game despite the scoreline and we went into half time having killed the game off 3-0.

I praised the lads for their first half showing. Despite the lowly opposition, this was possibly the best performance of the season so far and I wanted to carry that on into the second half so sent the lads out for more of the same.

At half time though, the Fareham manager had obviously decided enough was enough and packed his defence and midfield, while dropping the whole team very deep to stifle us. Having won the game already, my lads struggled to find the impetus to break them down and the second half dissolved into a dull trudge with little or no action. I rested some of the lads for the last half an hour and decided to content myself with the 3-0 win. The game then played out a very dull end and without conceeding a single shot we won at a canter.

Cup runs are important for Alty financially, and I would have to do my best to keep us in the FA Cup and Trophy as long as humanly possible. We got some prize a gate money for this game, and we had won comfortably. Better still, we hadn't picked up any more injuries. Onwards and upwards I hope.

Stalybridge at home provided the next test for Alty. We are so far unbeaten and have drawn only one game in all our competitive matches this season. We will need to keep this form going in the coming weeks as I want to try to build a gap at the top of the table and really impose ourselves in this league.

I selected Banim to face his former club for Johnson, and brought loanee Winn into the midfield for Hallows. None of my injury victims are yet available, so the rest of the side remained the same.

The game started cagily, with both sides seemingly giving the other too much respect. Not a lot of goalmouth action was seen in an even game, and only long range snap shots were taken in terms of efforts. In forst half injury time though Stalybridge seemed to switch off. A long Rose throw was flicked on by Winn and Porter blasted the ball home from a narrow angle into the roof of the net. The half-time whistle blew immediately afterwards, and we had managed to get a goal in a game of few chances.

I tried to instill some much needed urgencyinto the lads at half time. Work rate and effort was the order of the day here, and it would take that for the entire second half to triumph.

The second half started much as the first had gone though, with Stalybridge concentrating very hard and retaining their shape. With our compact style, they couldn't break us down either so the second half looked like being a stalemate until midfielder Chalmers went down painfully in the 68th minute and had to be replaced. I brought on Whittington for him, replaced the anonymous Banim with Lloyd and brought Hallows on for a tiring Winn. With these subs and Stalybridge deciding to start to commit men forward, the game opened up slightly. It was still a cagey affair, but it wouldn't be long until a good chance would fall the way of one of the sides. In the 75th minute this chance came. Porter crossed from the left wing and Lloyd arrived unmarked, took a touch and finished low into the left corner for 2-0. I was relieved to say the least. Stalybridge now decided to throw everything at us. Why they hadn't done this earlier I don't know asthey came forward well and started to open us up a little. Only some wasteful finishing and good goalkeeping from Smith kept our clean sheet intact and we held on to win 2-0.

I was mightily relieved at the final whistle. We hadn't played well, but had come away from Moss Lane with another victory to add to my growing collection. A largely dull game and not great performance would have to be rectified, but another 3 points left a sweet after taste.

Before the next game, a midweek trip to Burscough, I got good and bad news from my physio. Murphy was back in training, although the Burscough game was far to soon for a return to action, but Chalmers had sustained a serious hip injury and the only sensible course of action was to send him to a specialist. He'd be out for months, this wasn't good news.

Whittington would start for Chalmers, Johnson came in for Banim and Chalmers came in for Winn. The squad was tired, and a midweek game was the last thing we needed, but we were still unbeaten and therefore confident of success.

We started poorly, with mistakes being made all over the pitch. When Smith had a howler in the 4th minute, gifting an open goal to Burscough, they made no mistake and went 1-0 up. We then continued to make errors, although none as serious as Smith's abberation. We just weren't clicking. Passes were going astray, crosses aimed at areas where our strikers weren't, and although we still looked like the better side, never really got going and ended the half 1-0 down.

I knew the lads were tired, but I gave them a rocket at half-time. They went out for the second half knowing they had to perform better. Unfortunately we just didn't. We still couldn't pick out Alty players in key areas and good chances were very few and far between. When they did come, wayward finishing cost us dearly. In the 70th minute, a Dutton corner was cleared long by the Burscough defence to their right wing. A good run, cross and header made the score 2-0 and we looked devastated. I brought on Edward Hussin (a reserves midfielder drafted in for this), Winn and Lloyd for Hallows, Porter and Johnson, but it didn't make much difference. The game unfortunately then petered out to a tame loss, 2-0.

We had tasted defeat for the first time this season, and I was disappointed. We just couldn't seem to pick out an Alty shirt in the last third and failed to really create much threat on goal. We were clearly the better side here, but our build up play was hardly that of a title chasing outfit and we would have to bounce back straight away.

I got a fax from the FA after the game saying that we had drawn Cirencester at home in the FA CUp third qualifying round tto be played this Saturday. Hopefully a break from league action would be just what we needed after our first defeat of the season.

We hosted Cirencester in the FA Cup 3rd qualifying round after the Burscough debacle needing a win to restore lost confidence. It was a game we couldn't afford to lose financially, nor for the team morale.

In team news, Hussin came in for Whittington, Lloyd played instead of Johnson and Banim and Murphy made the bench. We would need better quality to prevail here despite the lesser opposition.

The game started better, and we gradually worked our way on top. We created a couple of early chances but Daly and Lloyd fired over when well placed. Another disaster though on 7 minutes as Hallows went down injured, yet another midfielder. Winn replaced him and we continued our domination without managing to find a finish. With Us still not finding an end product to bettr approach play, the whistle drew the first half to a close at 0-0.

I encouraged the lads to keep going, eventually we had to get one but I tried to get the forwards to be more composed. We continued creating chances though, but more inept finishing was the result and when Porter was brought down on 65 minutes for a penalty, hopefully we could finally get in-front. Adams stepped up and calmly showed the way to beat the keeper, 1-0. I then brought Murphy on to replace a tiring Winn and Banim came on for an exhausted Daly. Our goal signalled a change in the Cirencester tactics, and they came at us all guns blazing. Fortunately our poor finishing seemed to have an effect on their strike force who were equally inept in front of goal. We managed to keep it tight until 91 minutes when Cirencesters left winger broke through and Rose hauled him back outside the box and was rightly sent off. Fortunately they missed from the free kick and we managed to hang on for a 1-0 victory.

We needed a win, scrappy as it was for our confidence's sake. This we got and I have to be happy bouncing back like that. Another midfield injury though was worrying, and Rose's sending off didn't help either. Still, we were now only 1 game away from a potentially big and money spinning tie in the FA Cup 1st round proper.

Before our next game at home to well placed Kettering Town, I got word from the English FA that we had drawn high flying Conference South side Bognor Regis at home in the FA Cup 4th qualifying round. It wasn't the best news, but then again it could have been worse as the Conference National sides have now joined the competition. I also got word from the Scottish FA that goalkeeper Jon Smith had been called up to the Scotland under 19 side. This was great news for the lad and he was very pleased.

For the Kettering game, Winn started for Hallows, Coburn came in for Smith in goal, Banim started instead of Lloyd, Stirling came in for the suspended Rose meaning Johnson and Whittington made the bench. We needed a win here to get our league form back on track, and I was loathed to make so many changes, but many were enforced so I had little option.

We started the game on the back foot, and Stirling conceeded a free kick on the edge of the box on 2 minutes. Elding stepped up and curled it home for 1-0. We then took the initiative and went forward with real purpose, only to be let down by poor finishing again from many players. When a poor Craddock back pass found Elding through on goal, he dispatched it comfortably for Kettering's second goal from 2 opportunities. We had made 2 defensive mistakes, and conceeded 2 goals, disaster. This didn't stunt our attacking form though, as we continued to make chances. We found a goalkeeper in good form though and Banim was particularly wasteful in front of goal Slightly dejected, we went in undeservedly 2-0 down at the break.

I tried to rouse the lads, and switched the defensive marking around to try to cope with Elding, a striker who was far better than the level he is at suggests.

Kettering had changed things too at the break, getting their midfield to be more competitive against our boys. This was paying them dividends, but we continued to waste the chances when they came. After 65 minutes, I readied my subs but Kettering had a rare attack down their left wing and the resulting cross was headed home by Elding for his hat-trick. I slightly changed my mind on the subs, and took off Banim, Winn and Hussin for Johnson, Whittington and Murphy. Kettering had now got a 3-0 lead though, and dropped deep and closed down all over the pitch. We were being denied space and chances became a premium. 3 did fall our way though but they were spurned by Porter, Daly and Johnson. Kettering offered little going forward now, and sat back to hold out for an undeserved 3-0 win.

Devastated, me, the lads, everyone. We had bossed a game but complete ineptitude in front of goal had meant we had been beaten 3-0 by a side who only mustered 4 shots on target. Individual errors were cosing us dear, something that has to stop now or we will slip out of the reckoning for the league title. I let the lads know in no uncertain terms how I felt, and we all went home frustrated.

The FA Cup 4th qualifying round was the next test at home to Bognor Regis. This is a game that we cannot afford to lose financially, so we must turn round our recent stumble. Before the game I got word that we drew Basingstoke away in the FA Trophy 2nd qualifying round. Another tough tie but again one that we can and need to win.

For Bognor Regis, Smith came back in for Coburn after his international duty, Lloyd played up front for Johnson who dropped to the bench, and Rose came back in for Stirling after suspension.

The game started well for both sides, and was quite an end to end game with chances falling fairly evenly between the teams. A combination of some good goalkeeping and some poor finishing kept the scores level, and neitehr side could break the deadlock in the first half so it ended 0-0.

We needed a break in front of goal, and I urged the lads on at half time, but warned that they should tighten up defensively.

This largely happened in the second half with Alty starting to dominate the game. Our superiority was rewarded on 62 minutes when a porter cross found an unmarked Hussin breaking into the box for 1-0. We then went to sleep and conceeded from a right wing cross and a flicked header that Smith could not stop, 1-1. I then rang the changes with Lloyd for Banim, Murphy for Winn and Whittington for Hussin. We then got back to our good work of early in the first half but were struggling to apply the finishing touches to some good football. When Bognor started to operate more defensively, packing the midfield, the game became more of a battle but with us largely on top. Unfortunately we couldn't find a winner though and a replay was the inevitable outcome. Full-time, 1-1.

To a certain degree we had bounced back from our disappointing result against Kettering. I wwas starting to get concerned now though over our lack of prowess in-front of goal, something that needs sorting quickly.

The replay against Bognor was straight up next in the fixture list. Between the ties, Byrne and Hallows resumed training, but are not fit enough to play in this one. I brought Murphy in for Hussin and Lloyd for Banim, hopefully we would get the goals required.

The game was again open, and the play flowed from end-to-end. In the 18th minute, Porter pusshed his marker from a corner and the ref duly awarded Bognor a penalty. This was blasted past Smith for the opening goal. We then went forward from the restart, with Rose crossing he found Porter whose knock down was converted by Murphy for 1-1 on 20 minutes. The play then flowed to our end and a great finish from the edge of the box restored Bognors advantage on 21 minutes. We got back going forward again and on 26 minutes, Lloyd broke through and found himself with Daly in support and both players bearing down on the keeper. He crossed and Daly finished into the open net. This was getting frantic. The game continued to be end to end, but now the keeping was getting more solid at both ends, and eventually the referee brought a pulsating half of football to a close at 2-2.

What can I say, we attacked with purpose and defended with generosity. I told the defense they had to tighten up, and sent the lads out to win the game and get us into the competition proper.

Bognor had obviously had similar instructions at half time too, and the second half was quite a contrast to the first, with it being more of a midfield battle. Chances became fewer, but when a Bognor corner bobled around the box and was poked in, we would need to get back to the flowing play of the first half. I brought Johnson on for Daly and Whittington on for Porter but this failed to create the opening we craved. Time was running out when Dutton got his marching orders on 88 minutes for 2 bookings, and only a few half chances were created until the whistle blew and we were out of the cup.

Financially this was not a good state of affairs. We are still in debt, and our form is starting to slide. This needs to halt now if we are to get anywhere.

Our punishing schedule of matches saw us face high-flying Barrow at home next, an important game in teh context of the top of the table. Johnson started in place of Lloyd, Hussin played in place of the suspended Dutton and Hallows came in for Murphy. Banim and Murphy were included on the bench.

The game was very tasty and competitive early. Tackles were flying in from both sides and one or 2 bookings were the result. We managed to show a bit of extra class on 21 minutes when Adams broke down the left and crossed perfectly for Porter to head home. The game was still very competitive and even when Johnson broke forward, was tackled, and Porter latched onto the ball 20 yards out and launched a screamer for 2-0 on 40 minutes. This subdued the game a bit and half time came without further major incident.

I urged the players to keep up the competitive acton, and deny space for Barrow to come forward. This was the case early in the second half as the game remained even and tightly contested. I replaced Daly with Banim, Porter with Whittington and Hallows with Murphy. Late on, Barrow had tired and chances started to come our way. They fell to Banim and Johnson and both strikers were wayward with their efforts. As the game was brought to a close, it had been a good day for Alty. We'd beaten one of our contenders, and been very competitive all around the park. It was a pleasing result.

Having now played 10 games in the Conference North, the table lined up like this:

| 1st | | Stafford | | 10 | 6 | 4 | 0 | 14 | 4 | +10 | 22 |

| 2nd | | Altrincham | | 10 | 7 | 1 | 2 | 18 | 9 | +9 | 22 |

| 3rd | | Alfreton | | 11 | 6 | 2 | 3 | 22 | 14 | +8 | 20 |

| 4th | | Hinckley | | 11 | 6 | 2 | 3 | 13 | 6 | +7 | 20 |

| 5th | | Barrow | | 11 | 6 | 2 | 3 | 20 | 14 | +6 | 20 |

| 6th | | Hucknall | | 11 | 5 | 3 | 3 | 12 | 11 | +1 | 18 |

| 7th | | Kettering | | 10 | 5 | 2 | 3 | 13 | 9 | +4 | 17 |

| 8th | | Vauxhall Motors | | 11 | 5 | 2 | 4 | 15 | 12 | +3 | 17 |

| 9th | | Hednesford | | 11 | 5 | 2 | 4 | 17 | 15 | +2 | 17 |

| 10th | | Worksop | | 11 | 4 | 4 | 3 | 17 | 15 | +2 | 16 |

| 11th | | Worcester | | 11 | 5 | 1 | 5 | 13 | 18 | -5 | 16 |

| 12th | | Lancaster | | 11 | 4 | 3 | 4 | 15 | 11 | +4 | 15 |

| 13th | | Gateshead | | 11 | 4 | 3 | 4 | 13 | 13 | 0 | 15 |

| 14th | | Burscough | | 11 | 3 | 5 | 3 | 15 | 18 | -3 | 14 |

| 15th | | Moor Green | | 10 | 3 | 4 | 3 | 10 | 10 | 0 | 13 |

| 16th | | Harrogate | | 10 | 3 | 3 | 4 | 7 | 10 | -3 | 12 |

| 17th | | Northwich | | 11 | 3 | 2 | 6 | 15 | 16 | -1 | 11 |

| 18th | | Leigh RMI | | 11 | 2 | 5 | 4 | 9 | 13 | -4 | 11 |

| 19th | | Redditch | | 11 | 1 | 6 | 4 | 11 | 16 | -5 | 9 |

| 20th | | Stalybridge | | 11 | 2 | 1 | 8 | 4 | 18 | -14 | 7 |

| 21st | | Gainsborough | | 11 | 0 | 5 | 6 | 6 | 15 | -9 | 5 |

| 22nd | | Bradford PA | | 10 | 1 | 2 | 7 | 8 | 20 | -12 | 5 |

| --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| </pre>

Superb m8.. icon_wink.gif just been reading ur script at wrk icon_rolleyes.gifgreat commentary feel like clunching my fist everytime u get that goal ur looking for!! Bit surprised u left Spain as i thought u had a good chance to make ur name there and it would have been ur first real season of putting YOUR team out on the field but u had ur reasons... on the back of ur inspirational story im thinking of quitting Spurs and taking up the postion at sunny MARGATE!! icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Greg007:

Superb m8.. icon_wink.gif just been reading ur script at wrk icon_rolleyes.gifgreat commentary feel like clunching my fist everytime u get that goal ur looking for!! Bit surprised u left Spain as i thought u had a good chance to make ur name there and it would have been ur first real season of putting YOUR team out on the field but u had ur reasons... on the back of ur inspirational story im thinking of quitting Spurs and taking up the postion at sunny MARGATE!! icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

High praise indeed, thank you very much.

I left Spain because I wasn't getting linked with anything, and attracting players to a side constantly told that they will be relegated is very trying. It isn't easy at Alty, but at least they are one of the promotion favourites, rather than a relegation candidate.

Midweek saw us travel accross the pennines to play Bradford Park Avenue. The squad was by now very tired having had a punishing run of games for a part-time outfit. Dutton returned from suspension to replace Hussin, Murphy replaced Hallows and Lloyd came in for Johnson. Byrne was finally fit enough to make the bench, a welcome return for another midfielder.

Bradford PA are a side based on work rate rather than flowing football, and with my lads starting to feel the effects of many games in quick succession, the first half was predictably ordinary. Nothing was really happening for eitehr side offensively until 42 minutes had been played, and a Winn corner was expertly headed in by Peter Band. This goal gave us a 1-0 half time lead, and hopefully we could get out of the second half fit and unscathed.

I encouraged the lads to give me another 45 minutes effort, knowing we had a week until our next game. The second half passed largely like the first half had. I introduced Banim for Lloyd, Byrne for Porter and Whittington for Murphy. We still had some very tired legs out there though, and mistakes were being made. On 82 minutes Bradford accidentally maunfactured an equaliser. They broke down their right-wing, and sent a looping cross over that deceived Smith and landed inside the far post. To be honest, neither team had looked like scoring all game and I thought our goal from the set piece would settle it, but this wasn't to be the case. We battled on until the referee brought the game to a close.

We'd got a draw away from home, and considering the fitness of the squad that wasn't too bad. When you look at the fixtures though, games against sides like Bradford PA have to be won though so it was very much a case of 2 points dropped.

With no weekend game, our next fixture was the following midweek away to Northwich. Despite Northwich's relatively lowly league position, I knew this would be a very tough game as they are one of the bigger clubs in the division. We were slightly more rested going into this one, but I made a couple of changes. Banim started in place of Lloyd, and Johnson took a place on the bench.

Northwich started the brighter, coming forward with purpose. Good goalkeeping and some acrobatics from Smith denied Northwich an opener as we toiled and struggled to put together effective offensive moves. Until the break, we couldn't muster any serious threat, and mith kept us in it on occasion. When the half time whistle blew, the lads came in having not played well but escaped at 0-0.

I gave the lads a bit of a rocket at half time, saying that we needed passion to win the game. We desperately needed someone to step up and take the game by the scruff of the neck. Daly appeared to take this to heart and started putting himself about admirably. He managed to find good space on a number of occasions and was both unlucky and a bit wasteful in front of goal. He then picked up a knock and I decided to replace him straight away. I brought on Johnson, Whittington and Murphy for Daly, Murphy and Porter. As the game wore on, Northwich dropped deeper and deeper. Amazingly, they seemed content with a point. Very little else happened in what was one of the dullest last 30 minutes of football I have ever witnessed. It finished 0-0, and we had failed to win again.

We desperately need to start picking up wins again and I told the lads they would have to regain the attacking impetus that had seen us propelled into this position in the league.

The FA Trophy second qualifying round saw us on our travels again playing Basingstoke. This is a game that we should do and need to win. Greater resiliance in midfield and a better cutting edge up-front were required generally. For this game, I selected Lloyd for Daly, and Hallows replaced Winn both on grounds of fitness.

We started well and were all over Basingstoke. Some misplaced crosses apart, we created good chances with Lloyd and Banim finding space. They found a goalkeeper in good form though in amongst finding new ways of shooting balls out of the ground in the numerous chances we created throughout the first half. We therefore were frustratingly held 0-0 in a first half where there was only one side in the game.

I told the forwards they would have to start taking chances while encouraging the rest of the lads to continue their first half efforts. Immediately after the restart, Basingstoke created two excelelnt opportunities, but both wer fired over when under no pressure. This gane us a wake up call and an excellent passing move culminating in a defence splitting pass from Murphy to Lloyd proved to be one chance too many for the Basingstoke defence. Lloyd finished well on 51 minutes and we finally had the lead our play deserved. We were still the better side, but the goal forced Basingstoke to drop deeper and they contained us better with their more defensive outlook. I replaced Banim, Hallows and Porter with Johnson, Byrne and Winn, and the game continued in the same fashion until the last 10 minutes when Basingstoke decided enough was enough and they finally started taking risks. This gave us more space, but also gave them more attacking impetus. Neither side could create a clear cut opportunity though until the 89th minute when the Basingstoke keeper came up for a corner and the clearance fell to Johnson who lashed in a 55 yard shot for the goal that would win us the tie. There was little time for Basingstoke to do anything about our 2-0 lead now, and we ran out comfortable winners in the end.

So, more money in the coffers to keep us afloat, 2 goals and a clean sheet. What did I have to be concerned with? Finishing, pure and simple. We are missing vast swathes of opportunities. We should have buried Basingstoke, and in several previous games have been very wasteful when presented with good opportunities. If we do suceed and win promotion this year, we have to rectify this. If we don't get it sorted though, we won't achieve our ambitions though and won't be promoted.

Before our next game, struggling Gainsborough at home, Byrne broke down in training with an injury that will keep him out for a week or two. Daly was brought back for the misfiring Banim, Stirling was selected ahead of Rose at right-back and Winn replaced Byrne on the bench.

As the whistle blew to start this game, we looked full of purpose and drive. Daly and Lloyd were causing problems with their running up-front, and the midfield were creating space and chances. On 17 minutes, a long ball from Craddock was nodded back by Daly for Porter to finish with a smart shot that beat the Gainsborough keeper with ease. This eased the nerves of the players a bit and we played with even more confidence. On 29 minutes, an Adams cross was flicked into the far corner by Daly for 2-0. More chances followed, but Lloyd was now misfiring and Hallows missed a couple of half-chances. On 45 minutes with the ball dead, a Gainsborough defender lashed out at Daly and was duly sent off. They were becoming frustrated with our dominance and a 2-0 scoreline was perhaps flattering to them at half-time.

We had to keep going in the second half and record a large morale boosting victory against 10 men. In the 47th minute, a long ball from Craddock was misjudged by the Gainsborough defence and Lloyd's flick header eluded the keeper for 3-0. We then seemed to drop a gear comfortable in the knowledge that this game was in teh bag, until we got a wake-up call in the 62nd minute. A howler of a pass accross the back line from Band to Craddock with Smith out of his area lef the Gainsborough striker with a relatively simple lob to give them a foothold in the game at 3-1. I immediately made changes with Johnson Winn and Whittington coming on for Lloyd, Hallows and Porter. I had to shake up the side. The players looked a bit shell shocked though after conceeding, and we struggled to get back up to speed after stepping down a gear. Fortunately the 10 men of Gainsborough were hardly an attacking force. On 80 minutes, we finally put together a good move. Some midfield interplay, followed by a ball out to Stirling on the wing was matched with a good cross, picking out Winn whose free header was unstoppable. After this, Gainsborough parked the proverbial bus infront of their goal and we struggled to get round it. As the final whistle blew, we had won 4-1 and looked good at times doing it, especially in the first half.

Individual errors will happen, but against better sides we'll get buried if we keep making them. Despite scoring 4, we had still spurned too many good chances. We're still in teh hunt though and this is good for the club to be at the right end of the table.

During the week, I got news that Byrne had resumed training, but he was never going to be fit enough to play the next game, away to Hitchin in the FA Trophy 3rd qualifying round. I decided to keep the same team for this one as they'd won 4-1 and perhaps some continuity was what was required.

The game started with us going forward well but not creating clear cut chances. On 8 minutes, a poor throw by the Hitching keeper found Lloyd on his toes and he nipped in to intercept, run through and score well. We kept the pressure on, and Lloyd poked home his second after a scramble from a Stirling cross on 16 minutes. More Alty pressure and when Lloyd drifted out wide on 26 minutes, he collected a ball down the line from Stirling and crossed for Porter to head home. Hitchin were shell shocked, and their manager dropped the team very deep in an effort to stem the tide. This tactic frustrated us until half time. Still, we were 3-0 up and looking good.

Winning comfortably at half time is always a difficult one for the manager. Do you rouse them and try for a rout? Do you set them up to defend what we have? Do you rest players for the next game? I decided to try to keep them on the front foot, and send them out to get more goals.

Hitchin were still set up deep, and seemingly content to go out meekly from the FA Trophy. This was surprising, but we kept the pressure on and it should only be a matter of time until their resolve cracks. This happened on 63 minutes when Murphy was scythed down in an innocuous position in the box for a penalty. Adams stepped up and dispatched the penalty comfortably. Hitchin still seemed reluctant to come forward, and we were comfortable in posession without being able to create too much of a goal threat. I brought Johnson, Winn and Whittington on for Daly Hallows and Murphy, and we settled in for a victory romp in the last 20 minutes. On 79 minutes though we got complacent. A terrible backpass caught Stirling out of position, and they got the ball on their left wing. A run and cross was produced and a back pedling Dutton inexplicably headed past his own keeper on the far post when under no pressure. It was too comical for me to be really angry, but I wasn't pleased. At no point in a football match can you switch off, or you get punished. The game then became more even, although neither side could really create and good scoring opportunities and when the final whistle blew, a 4-1 win saw us into the first round proper of the FA Trophy.

We'd come through a couple of potentially difficult away ties to get here. Financially we could do with getting through a few more rounds and also getting some home ties. As for the game, the defensive lapse was laughable and I was pretty unhappy that we had it in us to do something that stupid when in total control of a game. Oh well, another good win either way.

I got news of our opponents in the FA Trophy first round. It was Rushden away. Rushden got themselves relegated from the football league while I was in Spain, and are now one of the biggest non-league clubs around. The club that Max Griggs built is coming back down the ladder, and unfortunately we're now in their path.

The next game though saw us travel to Alfreton. For this one, Byrne was fit enough to take a place on the bench, and Winn came in for Hallows. Needing to keep the pressure on in the league, we started the game brightly only for us to over commit men forward and suffer a classic counter attack goal through a right wing break, cross and good header on 2 minutes. We reacted well, and came forward with Murphy spurning a good opportunity. On 12 minutes, Dutton played the ball forward, Lloyd headed down and Porter ran onto it cracking a sweet chot past the Alfreton keeper for the equaliser. No more than we deserved, and we kept coming forward only to find our strikers in wasteful mood once more. The half ended 1-1.

We needed to keept the pressure on, and I lit a fire under the strikers to try to get a finish out of them. More Alty pressure happened after the break, but we still couldn't break the deadlock. Something had to happen eventually. I replaced Daly, Murphy and Porter with Johnson, Whittington and Byrne. Whittington got in on the act and flashed a header wide, before Winn headed over when well placed. On 86 minutes, Peter Band played a long ball forward that eluded the Alfreton defenders and set Johnson running in on goal. Finally someone managed a finish and Johnson slotted cooly past the Alfreton keeper for 2-1 Alty. Alfreton then started to commit men forward but we matched them in every area until a good move in the 94th minute resulted in a snap shot that whistled past Smith and came back off his upright. We cleared and the final whistle brought and end to the game much to my relief.

We wer still in the hunt, and a 2-1 win away from home was good. Defensive lapses though were becoming a real concern.

Hednesford were the visitors for Alty's next league game. Our form is still OK, and we're looking on course at the moment to be thereabouts come the end of the season. I picked the same side that beat Alfreton for Hednesfords visit. Hopefully some continuity will bring another 3 points.

The first half was very one sided. We created chance after chance, with the majority falling to Daly and Murphy. Whatever they did with their shooting boots though meant that the crowd were in danger more than Hednesfords goal. I counted 6 sitters that fell to Daly and Murphy, alongside other good opportunities to other players. Sadly we couldn't find the bit of space in between the posts and under the bar so we ended the first half 0-0.

I praised the lads who were driving us forward, but had a pop at those who were wasting our good work with wayward shooting. After the break, we created more chances and were getting closer, but the Hednesford keeper was saving shots now. On 55 minutes, some Hednesford posession outside our box led Stirling to dive in and commit a foul. The freekick was curled round out wall into the corner of our goal and we had someow found ourselves 1-0 down. Ten minutes later, a rash Craddock foul gave Hednesford a penalty which they scored well. We continued to go forward but were incompetent when it came to applying a finish and the referee brought an end to the game with us having contrived to lose 2-0.

Stupid defensive errors had cost us 2 goals, and we should have had a hatful going forward. This was the most depressing game I have had as a manager so far, and I tore some of the lads new bumholes after the game. This simply was not good enough.

Archived