From acorns do oak trees grow.

Graeme

Having spent the last few years passing my FIFA coaching badges, the summer of 2005 came with me full of trepidation as I started applying for jobs as manager of league football teams. My first application for Peterborough was rejected, so I applied for several other jobs including Northwich Victoria and four second division B sides in Spain. Still unemployed, and with all the other managers preparing for the coming season I wondered if I would get the opportunity to test my skills at all this season.

Rejections came from two of the Spanish jobs, but then lowly Almansa of the Spanish second division B4 phoned with the news I had been waiting for, they wanted me to be their new manager.

The offered £100/week salary, and despite the club being in debt, they offered a transfer kitty of £20,000, with some scope in the wage budget for expansion.

I thought long and hard about this, and did research on the internet about the club but little was forthcoming. After a discussion with the wife, I decided to take the job and try to enhance Spanish minnows Almansa, whilst gaining a good tan to boot.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having spent the last few years passing my FIFA coaching badges, the summer of 2005 came with me full of trepidation as I started applying for jobs as manager of league football teams. My first application for Peterborough was rejected, so I applied for several other jobs including Northwich Victoria and four second division B sides in Spain. Still unemployed, and with all the other managers preparing for the coming season I wondered if I would get the opportunity to test my skills at all this season.

Rejections came from two of the Spanish jobs, but then lowly Almansa of the Spanish second division B4 phoned with the news I had been waiting for, they wanted me to be their new manager.

The offered £100/week salary, and despite the club being in debt, they offered a transfer kitty of £20,000, with some scope in the wage budget for expansion.

I thought long and hard about this, and did research on the internet about the club but little was forthcoming. After a discussion with the wife, I decided to take the job and try to enhance Spanish minnows Almansa, whilst gaining a good tan to boot.

Walking in on my first day I assessed the situation at the club, it was a bit grim. Debts of over £150,000 saddled the club, the playing staff was sparce at best (only 1 keeper and very few defenders), no assistant manager, no friendlies arranged and with the tag that the club would do well to gain any points in the season.

My ruminations were cut short though by the chairman who dragged me out infront of the press to announce the shock move that I had become the Almansa manager. Much like when David Beckham moved to Spain, I knew no Spanish and even less about what Spanish lower league football was to bring, but I have a drive to succeed and get the club moving forward, bringing professionalism into a side that appears to lack any kind of organisation. The date I was appointed was 10/8/2005, a landmark day in my career.

After the press conference, I went back to my office to look again at the state of the club. I found out that 3 players had already been sold this season, 2 central defenders and a goalkeeper, thus undicating why the playing staff was so sparce in tose areas. I set about looking for players and faxed off contract offers to what seemed like dozens of players. I also offered veteran goalkeeper Jorg Stiel a coaching role at the club.

In the lead up to the first game, a Spanish cup preliminary round game first leg against Algericas of the same division as Almansa, replies to my contract offers came flooding in. They were unanimous 'no thank yous', although Jorg Stiel did agree to come and join the coaching staff.

Things were getting desperate, and when a bid came in for our right winger of £220,000, I had to accept as this would solve the clubs financial problems. Only £50,000 was up front, but it secured Almansa's future and I hoped this would encourage more players to accept contract here.

As there was no Assistant Manager at Almansa and I was feeling the strain of doing everything myself, I decided to advertise for a right hand man. I wanted a Spanish national who knew the territory to help me out, I eagerly awaited any applictions.

As my first match day arrived, I looked at my meagre squad and decided upon a formation and starting XI. The club has 3 right backs, but only one left-back, and there were similar other quandries all over the quad, so some decisions were tough, while some were of neccessity. I decided to opt for a compact formation that would hopefully explode wide when on the break.

There were a few disappointed faces when I announced the team, but everyone was deturmined to go out and prove our critics wrong and start the season off right.

What I then witnessed was a game full of heart, passion and pride from the Almansa boys. We had to hold on grimly for large periods of the game, but managed to run out 2-0 winners away at a hotly tipped side. Defensive midfielder Piombo and on-loan midfielder Eloi got the goals, one in each half to end a supremely satisfying first match in charge.

Surely the rest of the season couldn't be like this?

Between the first and second legs of the Spanish Cup qualifier, I got a few applications for my advert for assistant manager. When I offered them the job however, they all refused the contract offer I had made, so I decided to let the ad run for another week.

More contract offers were faxed off to players in the desperate search for a squad, and each time a rejection came back. I decided to start offering some of the non-contract lads who fill out my U18 squad deals just to fill the massive holes in my squad, but again none of these werre accepted.

The situation was starting to become desperate, so I investigated getting my new coach Jorg Stiel on a playing/coaching contract, but rules forbid the use of foriegners in this league so that idea was foobarred. Still, I redoubled my efforts to find players and desperately hoped I could find a few bodies.

So, my second matchday arrived, the return leg of the Spanish cup preliminary round against Algericas.

My boys were brimming with confidence after our first display, and I sent the same team out for the return.

This game was as nerve jangling as they come though, with almost constant pressure from start to finish from the visiting Algericas team. Amazingly, we held out the first half without conceeding, but not really having had enough posession to have fashioned any opportunities ourselves. Still, 5 minutes work could see us into the first round proper, so there was a big incentive for the boys as I sent them out for the second half.

The secondhalf was almost identical to the first, with our keeper pulling off a series of wonderful saves. We were being battered when a defensive punt from our centre-half found the feet of Javi, one of our strikers who finished with aplomb. More pressure followed, but an amazing rearguard action and poor finishing meant we ran out 1-0 winners on the day, and 3-0 winners on aggregate.

The boys were absolutely delighted, as was I, and we went out for a good feed afterwards and looked forward to the league season ahead.

A tired but very happy squad turned in for training. I have had to revamp all Almansa's training routines, and have stuck the players on a rigorous pre-season schedule. Players in the lower leagues in any country arn't exactly as spritely as Owen, nor do they have as good an engine as Lampard. That said, we could all do with a little bit of hard work to get ourselves into the best shape possible.

The application list from the continuation of my ad for an Assistant Manager came back, and there were a few new names on it. After they rejected contract offers, I decided to give up running the ad and asked coach Miguel if he would be my assistant. He happily accepted and at least I now have the backroom bare bones structure in place.

The playing squad is another matter entirely though, and as the transfer window is about to shut, I am getting increasingly exasperated with my inability to attract anyone at all to Almansa. The existing players though are looking forward to the impending league season however, but are all slightly daunted by the prospect of trying to survive in a league we are given only an outside chance of staying in.

Going into the first league match at home to Jean, the players were excited by the prospect of beginning their league campaign. Jean are hotly tipped to be in the race for promotion, and will provide a stern test for my less illustrious boys. There is very little experience in my squad, but there is a lot of enthusiasm for the task at hand and I am encouraged by this.

The bookmakers see us as a 12-1 bet to win the first game at home to Jean, so that makes us more determined to prove ourselves.

The game started much as we would have expected with Jean firmly on top. The situation wasn't as bad as Algericas in the last game though, and we did look like we had some punch on the break. We contained them nicely early on only to allow a great finish from the Jean striker on 35 minutes. Our first goal conceeded of the season was a blow, but we knuckled down and the game proceeded in much the same vane until half-time.

At the break, I tried to rally the troops with some words of encouragement and a bit of bluster and sent the lads out for a half that would show me a lot about the teams character. They did not disappoint, and although Jean were clearly the better side, we were getting closer to a goal. As the half wore on, Jean started to look like they would settle for a 1-0 win, until the 70th minute when sub striker Carvajal popped up to plant a wonderful header past the Jean keeper. This woke Jean up a bit, but they were finding it difficult to step back up a gear having eased off and the game petered out to a 1-1 draw.

I was delighted with the result, as it proved my lads had a good deal of fighting spirit and I knew they were well prepared for the season they had ahead.

The next game saw us pitted against Algericas, who we knocked out of the Spanish cup only a couple of weeks before. By now, the transfer window had closed, so I was forced to tackle the first half of the season with a very small squad, consisting of only one goalkeeper. Before it did close we were forced to sell striker Gregorio for a measly £1000 as he had a minimum fee release clause in his contract. I looked at the rest of the squad and set about re-negotiating all the contracts to give me a bit of scope for keeping them by getting larger release clases in them. I am still amazed that I could find nobody who would join Almansa, but this made me more determined to make a huge success of the season and confound all of the critics.

The lads were naturally up for the game with Algericas, as we had already registered two wins against them. This made them a little nervous though as in their minds we expected to get a result. The game started brightly though, with us on the upper and we were rewarded with a goal in the 9th minute, a penalty coolly slotted home by centre-half Rumbo.

Algericas clearly weren't going to stand for another defeat to lowly Almansa though, and started to find some form, scoring in the 30th and 44th minute to lead at the break. After half-time, the game was largely even until the 83rd minute when Algericas finished a good move with an emphatic shot that consigned our lads to their first defeat of the season, 3-1.

The lads were rather deflated by this, but I told them to get their chins up and reminded them that nobody could have predicted that out of the first four games of the season, we would have a positive record having won 2, drawn 1 and lost only 1. They went home disappointed and exhausted.

The boys then prepared for our next game against Talavera, weary and disappointed to only have 1 point from 2 games. The lads were still on the punishing fitness training schedule I had designed for them, but we all knew we would reap the rewards later on in the season.

Talaveras visit to Almansa represented the first time that we were given odds of better than 10-1 against, as they were also a relatively lowly side. This gave our lads a bit of hope and optimism going in.

Unfortunately we looked tired when we were playing, and the game was rather a dull affair with the opposition not really looking dominant either. The first half was much of a non-event and ended even at 0-0.

I tried to rally the troops at half-time, but the second half started in much the same vane as the first. On the hour mark, I threw on 3 sets of fresh legs to liven things up. With Talavera making changes also, the game seemed to open up at both ends, and only woeful finishing from both sides prevented a goal. In the 87th minute though, bad marking in our box gifted Talavera one golden opportinity too many, and they took the lead. We couldn't rouse ourselves enough to get an equaliser, so lost the game 1-0.

The precariousness of our position now really hit home. If Almansa are to survive the season, we need to start scoring goals, plain and simple. After the ecstacy of the Spanish Cup preliminary round win, the league had provided us with 1 point from 3 games. I therefore talked it through with my assistant Miguel, and we decided to alter the training schedules to be less punishing on the fitness, and more skills based, lets hope it works.

The next game was another against one of the relegation battlers in the division, Alcarla de Guadaria. I have set Almansa's scout to always look at the next opposition due to my complete lack of knowledge about any of the teams in this division. He says they are a competent outfit, but their attacking pace shouldn't cause us any trouble.

I rejigged the starting XI slightly this time, putting in left winger Charly on the left side of a midfield 3, with instructions to break high and wide when we have the ball. Charly is possibly one of our best players on paper, but as we don't play a formation that uses wingers he'll have to adapt to tucking inside then exploding wide.

Morale in the squad was still quite good going into this game, and we started well creating several chances. We finished none until Charly beat 2 men and rifled in a shot at the far post on 30 mins. I wanted us to keep going forward and not to try to sit it out and that is what we did. Despite not scoring again, we went in at the break in the lead having played well.

The second half was more even, but poor finishing from both sides and some good defending meant no more goals were scored. That meant our first 3 point maximum of the season, and a return of 4 points from 4 games. Our win lifted us out of the drop zone, and put big smiles on the faces of everyone at the club. The chairman even rang me to say he was pleased with the result. We now had something tangible to build on, and could go forward positively knowing we could win well in this league.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by irishregan:

This is interesting I hope you keep it up, starting at a lowly club like this will inevitably lead to a better job after a year or two. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you, glad to know someones reading it. I have a bit to catch up on actually, hopefully will be remedied in the next couple of days.

The next round of the Spanish cup saw me drawn against Real Union away. Real Union are another club at the same level in the Spanish pyramid, although they are in a different regional group to us. They are a good side though, predicted to be in and around the fight for promotion when alls said and done, so we had our work cut out out for us.

The first half went as you might expect, with Real Union largely dominating proceedings. The best our boys could muster was the odd break away, but when given opportunities, our strikers never looked like notching. All was going OK though until the 34th minute, when defensive errors led to a Union goal. We were in trouble now, but managed to hold out to only be 1-0 down at the break.

I tried to rouse the troops, but they were tired as it was a midweek game, and Union had a muuch larger and more accomplished squad. Still, I sent the boys out for one last effort to hopefully salvage the game. The second half started much the same as the first had finished, but we managed to start to ease our way into it as the half wore on. Three subs gave us fresh impetus, but we conceeded again on 78 minutes (against the run of play at the time) and the tie was all but dead. We did manage a consolation in injury time from sub midfieder Felipe.

Our Spanish cup adventure came to an end almost before it had begun, but to be honest, we got one round further than the critics or even myself would have predicted.

The Sunday following our cup exit saw us host one of the divisional favourites Cordoba. As the cup game was strangely on a Thurssday, we were exhausted going into this game so that really didn't help. I had to rest several players who were starting to feel the pace a bit.

Still, we went out hoping to cause an upset and really make a name for ourselves in this division. Sadly, we never got into the game at all and were soon 1-0 down. Ten minutes later, we were pulled apart yet again and conceeded a second. With little being offered by us in reply, Cordoba rolled in a third before half time.

I decided a bit of bluster at half time might shake a bit more out of the lads weary limbs. At all costs, we had to keep this respectable as we need to keep picking up points where we can, and one disaster could affect us for a few games.

The second half was a bit brighter for us though, and we coped a lot better with the Cordoba pressure, only conceeding one more goal. We did not pose a serious threat on the opposition net though, and the second half display can be put down to them having backed off a lot. Still, at least it wasn't a really embarrassing drubbing, but make no mistake, in this 2 horse race we were lucky to have come in 2nd.

The following Sunday saw us travel to Diter Zafra, one of our relegation competitors and we knew we needed something from the game. We had recouperated well through the week from our excertions in the cup and league, and were ready for them.

I Played with the lineup in midfield a bit in the hope of sparking something a bit different. Also, Oscar Rico (central midfielder) was injured and I had to find a way to cope without his forward runs.

The game got off to a cracking start, with Carvajal missing a sitter after 45 seconds, before Javi put us ahead on only 2 minutes with an emphatic finish. Diter Zafra didn't know what hit them and looked shell shocked. We dominated the first half, restricting the home side to one long range shot that missed by a mile. Only our own wayward shooting was keeping this a close contest, but 1-0 it remained until the break.

I praised the lads for a great display first-half, but urged them to be careful not to ease off until the final whistle. This they did with aplomb, as the home side never got into the game, creating only 2 further long range chances that never looked like troubling our goal. We were also failing to hit the target though, something I must work on, but were far the better side all game, and won 1-0.

I was delighted with the effort we put in. We ran them ragged and played some excellent football. We thoroughly deserved the win and should have won by more. The lads were naturally on top of the world, and the win consolidated our position outside the relegation zone.

Following our cracking performance the previous week against Diter Zafra, we played host to Ecija, a mid-table side who were no mugs. We were full of confidence though and went into the game feeling we could get a result.

After only 8 minutes, midfielder Ruben popped up at the far post to tap in a first for our boys and sent the crowd into raptures. He was only playing due to Oscar Rico's injury, but fully justified his selection. We continued trying to press the game, but the first half turned out to be quite an even affair overall. On 29 minutes though, a cross from the right was stabbed home by Ecija's centre-half for an unstoppable own goal under pressure from Javi, and our lead doubled. The rest of the half was fairly cagey though with little goalmouth action.

At half time I warned the players not to let their performance drop, whilst prasing the stand out players of the half. Whatever was said in the away dressing room though worked wonders though as in the first minute of the second half we scored an OG of our own. It was a terrible hash of a clearance from our left-back Septien, but at least the score now reflected the fact that we had scored 2 and they had scored 1.

When you're on the ropes, you need someone to step up and put in a big performance though. The man for this moment was Javi, our striker in good form. He scored on 57 and 62 minutes with 2 cool right foot finishes, one to the far post and one to the near. This killed off Ecija and effectively the game, 4-1 up and less than half an hour to play. The remainder of the game was rather lacklustre from both sides, but I didn't mind one bit as we had already scored 4.

A 4-1 win was just the tonic I thought we needed, and great for morale amongst the squad. If we keep picking up results here and there, we will be fine. This win saw us move into the top 10 in the table though, a very lofty position for lowly Almansa.

Following our two good wins, the next game was really tough away to Badajoz who are possibly the biggest club in the division. We would need everything to go our way to get something out of this, and maybe a bit more besides.

The first half started according to the odds though, with Badajoz dominating the proceedings. On 9 minutes they scored as our defense was overwhelmed and missed tackles cost us dear. Badajoz then seemd to step down a gear though, and whilst they were clearly still the better side, didn't really look like scoring again. We posed little threat ourselves, and the first-half ended 1-0.

At half time I tried to encourage the lads, pointing out that the game was really still there if we wanted it enough. The second half began like the first had ended though, with Badajoz rarely getting out of second gear, and we managed to impose ourselves on the break a bit. On 61 minutes, on-loan midfielder Eloi managed to break the shackles and race clear of the Badajoz defence to slot a cool finish and level the game. Unfortunately, this seemd to wake Badajoz up and they came back hard at us and literally pummelled us. They broke through on 71 minutes and scored their second and didn't let up until the final whistle blew. Fortunately we managed to avoid conceeding any more, but we lost the game 2-1.

The game showed that we had a great deal of heart though, and were stern in defence, and I wasn't too disappointed to have lost to a much bigger club away only 2-1.

So far this season we have been performing above all but the most wildly optimistic expectations. And with a bit of luck with injuries so far not having happened to key squad members where we have only 1 player (goalkeeper and left back), things have run fairly nicely for little Almansa. We need to keep this going on the pitch though, and hope our luck with injuries can sustain us at least until January when I can try to delve into the transfer market and get in some quality players.

One thing of concern though, is that whenever a team is performing well above expectation, the predators come out and start looking at your players. Many of our lads are attracting the interest of bigger clubs, some of which are even in the top Spanish league. One player especially is getting noticed, our first choice right-back Javi (not the striker who keeps scoring at present). He has a list of interested clubs longer than both my arms, so I put him on a better contract with a minimum release fee of £130,000, probably the best I could have got.

Following Badajoz away, we played Cueta at home and to my utter shock, the bookies had us a slight favourites for the game. Wow, we've never been anything but big underdogs in every game so far this season. So, how would we fare then?

Well ,the game started with us in the ascendancy, but we looked like we were trying too hard. There were misplaced passes at crucial moments, snatched shots and hurried defending. This was exemplified on 22 minutes when we conceeded a needless penalty for handball in a very innocuous situation. The penalty was converted and we were 1-0 down. The pattern of play continued in much the same vane for the rest of the first half. We looked the better side, but it just wasn't clicking so we ended up down at the break.

With on-loan midfielder Eloi filling in up front, I decided to make a change to his strike partner at the break, to see if this gave us any further attacking impetus. We needed to take the game by the scruff of the neck and impose ourselves on every part of the pitch.

This seemed to have an effect, although in the midfield area we were still to hurried when in posession. We seemed more composed up-front with youngster Javi alongside Eloi, but were struggling to make the breakthrough. On 75 minutes, Eloi received a pass midway inside the opposition half, calmly turned his marker and slotted near post for the equaliser. I felt this was about what we deserved, and thought we would now go on and take the game. Cueta however had other ideas and came back at us hard and our nervous panicked defending returned, conceeding lots of silly free kicks. On 86 minutes, one such free kick resulted in a free back post header for the Cueta midfielder who had broken unnoticed into our box. He made no mistake and we were behind again. We then failed to get forward in numbers as we tired, and duly lost the game 2-1.

During this season so far, I have been very relaxed and unmoved by negative results. To be the smallest minnows in the league by a distance, the management has to be somewhat relaxed as there is no point ripping players apart when they are not expected to pick up any points. Today however, I was angry as I felt we should have got a result here, and duly tore some of the lads new bum holes. Later that night, I sat at home wondering whether this would provoke a positive or negative reaction, I guess I would find out at training.

After the disappointment of Cueta, UD Merida were the next visitors to Almansa. Merida are a reasonable side, having a decent enough season so far, so we knew we would have to perform better than the previous week to get a result.

The first half kicked off with the game looking to be a cagey battle. Merida probed our defence more effectively than our attack could muster, but they were reduced to pot shots that weren't in any danger of finding the net. We toiled going forward, having little else but our own pot shots to speak of so the first half ended with a cagey 0-0 scoreline. I tried to instill a confidence in our attack at the break, to hopefully carve out some better opportunities, whilst reinforcing what the back line were doing. This seemed to have some effect in the second half as we looked a bit more composed going forward, but rarely were threatening dangerously. By th 80th minute, we had tired significantly and I had used all my subs, so the game started to turn into one of attack on defence. Thankfully we held firm and claimed a valuable point to aid our cause.

The game was a good reaction to the disappointment of the previous week, and again gave us a building block to go into what would be a few games we could really try to get results from.

Cartagena were up next, and another away day for Almansa. Tiredness and a few injuries to personnel going forward were starting to be shown now, so we had players filling in in unaccostomed positions, such as left winger Irazoki being used as a sub striker. With the players we have, I don't currently feel like there are a lot of goals in us as we have a squad full of young kids and players without much league experience. Some of them are indeed raltively talented, but you shouldn't have to rely on 18 year olds every week.

Still, Cartagena are a side in a similar position to ourselves and we were hopeful that we could get a result on our travels. To be honest though, as the first half unfolded, what I witnessed was the most dour midfield battle of the season so far with barely any chances falling to either side. It was no surprise therefore to go in at the break with a 0-0 scoreline.

I tried a few things to attempt to get us moving forward more effectively, as I feel that most teams are more fit than us and we tend to be more under pressure as we tire. In every game therefore I feel we need to have a lead going into the last 20 minutes. This didn't however prove to be the case as the midfield battle again proved to be the way forward. On 65 minutes, I introduced 2 sets of fresh legs into our tiring middle, and that gave us the impetus to go on and secure another away point.

It was a dull 0-0 draw, but when every point is vital, the odd draw is not such a bad thing. Our last 3 games, 2 draws and a loss, have seen us slip down slightly behind the mid-table scrap. We are still clear of relegation thankfully, but we could do with some maximum 3 points if we are not to start to get dragged into a real bun fight. With the next 2 games being against bottom 4 sides, we have to look for 6 points, or at least 3.

I sent to boys out away to Aguilas knowing that they had to start picking up wins to make the season a successful one. We were now into November, and the run up to the Christmas break would prove crucial in our race to stay clear of relegation.

The lads responded well, and with left winger Irazoki filling in up front from the start along side Javi, we looked creative going forward. Aguilas were bottom of the league and were playing like a side with no confidence, and chances kept coming our way. Our poor finishing and some commendabe goalkeeping kept the scores level though until the 38th minute when Irazoki was sent clear by Charly and he blasted the ball past the home goalkeeper. More chances followed but again poor finishing let us down, half-time 1-0 Almansa.

With us dominating the game but only having 1 goal to show for our efforts, I challenged the lads to perform even better in the second half. If we eased off it could be fatal. The lads responded well, but our finishing and decision-making in the final third was our downfall. Thankfully, Aguilas offered littel as an attacking force and rarely posed a threat to our goal. As we moved into the last 10 minutes, I found myself counting down the minutes left. We had tired, and were getting a little ragged in midfield, but Aguilas didn't seem to have the wherewithall to punish us. Injury time beckoned and Aguilas mounted an all out assult on us, throwing everything forward to try to salvage the game. To my relief though, after 4 agonising minutes of injury time our goal had not been breached and we had triumphed 1-0.

This result could prove crucial in the run-in to Christmas, giving us some much needed confidence. If we can start finishing effectively, sooner or later we are going to get a hatfull against someone. I only hope it can be sooner rather than later.

Linares were the next opposition for my Almansa boys, with us playing host. This is yet another game that we must look to get a result in, although Linares are no mugs.

I brought in the recently recovered Carvajal up front for the stand in striker Irazoki, hoping that his better arial prowess could serve us well. The game started evenly, but it was a open game with chances falling to both sides in a frenetic opening period. Javi, Carvajal and Oscar Rico blazed high wide and handsome for us, with the visiting attackers faring no better. Gradually, our midfield began to stamp their authority on the game though, led by the holding player Piombo who has been outstanding this season so far. Both defences managed to hold firm though and the half finished 0-0.

I tried to tell the lads that we needed to be more compact in defence, and not create such an open game, but it was clear that they wanted to go for the jugular. Just 3 minutes into the second half, Javi popped up with a back post header from an Oscar Rico cross that nestled nicely in the back of the net and sent the modest crowd into raptures. We now needed to be more solid, and after another frenetic 10 minutes, I introduced 2 more defensively minded midfielders to try to shore up the middle of the park. Whilst this did seem to work defensively, it limited our attacking ambition and chances became few and far between. Again I was left clock watching as the final whistle appraoched, and again we managed to hold out for a slender win.

After 4 matches without conceeding any goals, but only scoring 2, it was becoming clear where the squad needed to be improved. There were obviously pressing squad inadequacies like the need for another goalkeeper, but to really go forward we need a striker that'll work the goalkeeper more often than not. With only 4 games to go until the winter break and Christmas, we had to start looking around for the players that would hopefully join us and enhance the playing staff.

Our defence this season has been the rock that has allowed us to perform well above expectation. With Javi at right-back (again not the young striker), captain Septien at left-back, and a central defensive partnership of Antinio Rumbo and Luis Lopez we had a strong defensive unit. Utility player Juan Carlos provided the backup for all the defensive potitions, but had so far not been used often.

We have 4 games left now until Christmas, and 3 of them are potentially winnable, which were the next 3 games. Baza away were the next opponents and I wanted to follow up our 4 match unbeaten streak with a good perfomance and 3 more points. Something must have gone awry in the preparation though, as we failed to get out of the blocks at all and were very subdued. Surprisingly though, we managed to take the lead on 28 minutes through a magical own goal from the Baza centre-back who paced a bullet header past his own keeper under pressure from striker Javi. I could barely believe it, but starnger things have happened! Baza came back strong though and equalised 11 minutes later, and should have had the lead before half time save for an excellent piece of goalkeeping. We limped through to half time at 1-1.

The half-time team talk I gave was supposed to be rousing, to hopefully shake off whatever was on the lads minds stopping them performing. Unfortunately we turned in an abject second half display though, the only saving grace being Baza's inability to score. They did though on 70 minutes, and not even a late charge from our lads as they finally realised that they were in a game could save this one.

A 2-1 defeat that could have been much worse was the result on a dreary day at Baza. We would have to pick ourselves up if we were to turn this around, but I was disappointed to end November this way as it had been a good month for us.

With the disappointing defeat away to Baza now firmly behind us, a home game against Consequense who were around us in the league was the perfect opportunity to bounce back. We were now just into December, and with only 3 games left this year we had to get some more points on the board. I decided to make some shanges, rejigging the forward line and midfiled, with Eloi and Javi partnered up front, Charly, Oscar Rico and felipe would make up the midfield.

The first half was even, with chances few and far between but falling to both sides. We still seemed to have some of the lethargy that dogged us against Baza the previous week, and couldn't impose ourselves on the game enough to break the deadlock. Neither could our opposition Consequense though and the first half ended in a 0-0 stalemate.

I have said before that I feel other sides are fitter than us, so I again tried to get the boys to put a big 20 minutes and try to take the game away from Consequense. This worked to an extent, but we couldn't seem to be able to hit a barn door with an axe so the game entered it's final stages with no score on the board. We then began to tire, and started to sit deeper in defence. The last 5 minutes came and I was praying for someone to find some spark and break clear to score an Almansa winner. Sadly this didn't happen, and Consequeses late pressure eventually told when a defensive lapse let their striker though for an easy finish. We failed to raise ourselves after the goal and lost meekly in the end 1-0.

Another set back, but if you had given any Almansa fan the option of taking our current position before a ball had been kicked, they would have bitten your arm off. I therefore find it hard to be angry that two lacklustre performances have taken some of the shine off an otherwise very positive season so far. Nevertheless, I called the lads in for some extra training to hopefully shake the lethargy from them once and for all.

Villanueva away was our penultimate game of the year on December 11th. This was a must win game after the disappointments of the last fortnight. I have also now come to the conclusion that we often perform better away from home. This I ascribe to the old adage that you must win your home games to do well, meaning that I think the players feel the pressure at home too much. After a strong weeks training, I now felt we were ready though to face the struggling opposition.

Disaster early in the game, forward Carvajal picked up an injury that forced me into a 4th minute sub, throwing Irazoki on to fill in up front. This threw my plans into somewhat of a confusion, but the lads seemed to be up for the game and were performing admirably. We took the lead on 11 minutes through sub Irazoki, and kept the pressure on afterwards. Oscar Rico arrived at the edge of the box on 23 minutes, and reminiscent of Lampard struck a full blooded drive past the Villanueva keeper for 2-0. We had the opposition on the ropes now, and I wanted to go for the jugular and kill the game off early, but somehow Villanueva managed to hold out until half-time without conceeding any more.

My half time team talk was full of bluster and urgency, we couldn't let the first half display dip or we would lose all the momentum we had built up.

When the lads got back out, it took them a while to get going again, but in the 64th minute, Javi notched again to add to his growing reputation. We were now 3-0 up and cruising. Villanueva then crumbled and lost all shape, and with a desperate last ditch challenge on Javi 3 minutes later bringing a penalty and a red card, Rumbo stepped forward from the back and slotted home low to the keepers right. The game was in danger of becoming a rout now, and I wanted the lads to finally dish out the hammering that I thought had been coming for a couple of months. On 80 minutes, an ill advised handball from the opposition full back meant we had another chance from the spot to extend the lead further. Rumbo stepped up again and notched his second of the game. We failed to score again despite having all the pressure, but I didn't mind too much.

A 5 star performance from the lowly Almansa boys was just what the doctor ordered, and I was absolutely delighted with everyone involved. The chairman came to my office the following day to congratulate me personally, and tell me that he was delighted with the way the team had been performing this season. I passed this onto the lads and they were equally ecstatic. One game to go now until Christmas, but a really difficult affair it will be. At least we know we will be several points clear of trouble whatever the outcome of the next game.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sherm:

good start, and well done on the success so far

KUTGW icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you! Another reader! I've actually got quite a bit of catching up to do, but I'll try to get at least to the winter break today. Writing these at work is tricky though, but I have sent myself all the match details from home so I can do so.

The things I should have put in an intro at the start though are the following:

Leagues loaded:

England (conf N/S and above)

Spain (Div 2b and above)

Scotland

Italy

France

Germany

Holland (I think)

I think I also loaded some of the players from a couple of scandinavian countries too.

Started game as unemployed, with the aim to go through the ranks to become a top level manager.

We journeyed to Sevilla for our last game of 2005 to play the cities B team. Knowing we were in for a rough ride, I decided to make the midfield more solid and used our quickest players in the attacking positions.

Sevilla B predictably started the game in the ascendancy, with their players oozing the quality that we just could not provide. It was going to be a war of attrition for us, and the longer we could hold out the more they might become frustrated and hopefully make some mistakes. 19 minutes was all we could manage though, as Sevilla B swept through our defence to notch past our helpless keeper. Sevilla B's pace and flair was showing all over the field as we were second to every ball and being thoroughly outplayed. Their second came on 36 minutes, and after that they seemed to visibly relax and ease their feet off the pedals.

A bit shell shocked, I consoled the players at half time, encouraging them not to allow what happened the previous week to our opponents to happen to us. The lads responded well, and with Sevilla B largely in second gear, the game was petering out to be a 2-0 win. Our sub midfielder Felipe hadn't read the script though and scored from a set piece on 85 minutes to set up a nervous last period for the home side. We pressed for an equaliser but Sevilla B were equal to everything we threw at them.

A 2-1 loss was actually a decent result given the disparity between the two sides, what we wouldn't give for some of Sevillas money, fans and players. Despite the loss, I took the lads out for a meal after the game to congratulate them on a job well done so far this season.

With the winter break now here, I knew that I had a few weeks to really get cracking on finding some new players for the squad. With the backroom infrastructure now established, I also knew that this task should be easier now than it had been in the 21 frantic days I had in the summer. I also had to respect that there was interest in a not inconsiderable amount of my players, so would hopefully be able to fend off some predatory approaches, while getting the best possible price for the offers we couldn't refuse.

Almansa Winter Break Report

We have played 17 games, and lie in 13th place. We have been as low as 18th, but as high as 8th in the 20 team league. Relegation places are the bottom 4 automatically relegated, and the 16th placed side requiring a playoff to survive. It is certainly easier to be relegated from this league than it is to be promoted, but it is the wrong endof the league we are likely to be more concerned with.

We have had various great performances consistently all over the park. With Aranda in goal, Luis Lopez and Antonio Rumbo in the middle of the back 4, and Javi and Septien at right and left-back respectively. Piombo the Argentinian national with a Spanish passport has been a revelation at defensive central midfield, and Charly and Oscar Rico have been impressive in the middle of the park, and others have chipped in when required. Up front, the best performers have been youngster Javi and on loan player from Levante Eloi.

Our record stands as the following:

P_____W____D____L____F____A____PTS

17____6____3____8____20___21___21

I am relatively pleased with the record we have. There have been games that I feel we should have got something oputof, but conversely there are also games we could easily have lost where we either won or drew.

On the transfer front, bids have started coming in for several players. Right-back Javi has started receiving sizable bids. He has a minimum fee release clause now of £130,000, and I intend to excercise this in negotiations. One of my back up right backs Rubio is also attracting attention. Centre-back Antonio Rumbo is also seeing a couple of bids come in. His Minimum fee release clause is £30,000, but I managed to negotiate an additional £25,000 over 12 months and he goes to Llieda for a total of £55,000 on the 1st January.

In terms of bringing players in, we need them all over the pitch, but particularly a back up goalkeeper. I have asked my scout and assistant manager to draw up a realistic list of targets, and they come back with a list of about 25 players. Whilst I can't believe that only 25 lads would come to Almansa, I will work with what I have got to go at. I therefore submit bids and subsequently contract offers for a fair number of these players. Many reject coming to such a lowly club, and I can get nobody in before the first game of 2006 away to Marbella.

Now is also the right time to give a bit of information on the club I have found at Almansa.

The club is small, but has a stadium capable of holding 5,500 supporters. We have only managed to attract just under 2,000 to a game so far but there might be a little potential there to increase this if we do well. The club however has no real history. They were founded in 1992, which makes the club about half my age. They are semi-professional, which again makes it more difficult to attract players.

I feel that the club will survive the season in this league. I am however ambitious and want to enhance my career at a bigger club. I have therefore been keeping an eye on the job market, particularly in England. Kidderminster Harriers has become available and I have applied. They rejected me though and still havn't appointed a manager. I feel a return to England might be my best career move. I also don't want to "cheat" on Almansa by going to another Spanish club. I like the minnows of Almansa, and will always do the right thing by them.

Marbella away provide the opposition for our first game of 2006. They are currently a mid-table side, but I am hoping to get the new year off to a bang here. The lads are itching to start as they have had a lot of time off and are refreshed.

The first half started fairly evenly, with little getting past the two defences. Long distance snap shots were the order of the day really with nothing looking likely to be successful. Three minutes from half-time though, Eloi broke through the Marbella defence skinning his man on the way only to see his shot saved by the Marbella keeper. Fortunately, his strike partner Javi was on hand to follow up and net our first of the new year.

At half time I noticed the lads were struggling with fitness. 3 weeks off for a not naturally athletic buch of lads wasn't the ideal scenario. I encouraged them on to hopefully our first win of the year though and sent them out for the second half.

The opening 10 minutes was all Almansa, with us going close on a number of occasions in our attempt to kill the game. We failed to score though and Marbella took advantage of some generous defending scoring on the hour mark. I then decided to throw 3 sets of fresh legs on to hopefully liven the game up, but Marbella were up now and going for the throat. We held them off deep into injury time until with the last kick of the game, a weak clearance fell to the Marbella centre midfielder who curled in a long shot from outside the area. The final whistle went as they were celebrating, and we had lost a game we could have ot a result from.

Effectively we lost because of fitness though. We looked too tired going into the last 20 minutes and couldn't get up and down the park as effectively as we had before Christmas. We needed dome fresh blood in the side, and also some impetus from the current lads if we were to keep clear of the drop.

Special Transfer Bulletin

On the Wednesday following the Marbella defeat, two players have agreed to come to Almansa and signed contracts. Mikel Muniozguren, a midfielder who adds a bit of height and good late runs from Lemona, and Miguel Ainzua, a centre half from Peralta who should hopefully fill the boots of Antonio Rumbo who left at the start of the month. They cost the princely sum of £1,000 each.

On players going out, right-back Javi has attracted bids from around 2 dozen clubs. A lot of these bids are offering players plus cash, but all of these bids have been unsuccessful as the players offered in part-exchange are unwilling to come to Almansa. Several cash only bids have been made though, and I have managed to make them all offer £130,000 up-front (his minimum fee release clause), plus monthly payments of another figure with future incentives for Almansa. The successful club for whom Javi has agreed to sign for is Mallorca. They pay £130,000 up-front, with another £120,000 over 24 months and a 20% sell-on clause. This money (and that from Rumbo's sale) means we have a positive bank balance running into the hundreds of thousands. Considering where we started from, over £150,000 in the red, what has gone on at Almansa this season has been remarkable. He went on the eve of our nest game, and we all wished him the best..

The fact that we have adequate cover for Javi in the form of 2 right wing backs (Kisko and Rubio) is also good news.

Bids have also come in for Rubio, who is my now first choice right back following Javi's sale. I therefore put in offers for other right backs as we might become short. I am still also waiting to hear back from many players regarding contract offers that have been made after bids were accepted by their clubs. Severla have turned me down already, but there are positive signs as 2 players have agreed to come to us.

Our next fixture was away to Extremadura, who are a big club for our division. Rubio slotted in at right-back, and other reserve right back Kisko was forced in at left back as captain Septien has pulled a calf muscle and will be out for a couple of months. New signing Ainzua came straight in at centre-half, as Juan Carlos also picked up a knock that will keep him out for a few weeks, and Muniozguren made the bench.

Extremadura started the game like their futures depended on a result. Chance after chance was being created, and they took the lead in the 4th minute. They kept piling forward to try and kill the game, but we held firm until the 34th minute when we seemed powerless to prevent a good passing move being finished. This continued to half time, and to be honest, we were lucky to have gotten 0.

I decided that I would send the lads out with a flea in their ears hoping that they would compete better. To be fair to the lads though, they went forward after the break and Oscar Rico appeared unmarked on the right post to cooly get us back into the game only 3 minutes after half time. Extremadure were having none of that though, and swiftly got themselves in charge of posession again, but were finding us harder to break down now. Fresh legs were introduced including Muniozguren who whowed that he can hold his own in the air, winning a few important challenges. In injury time though, Extremadura made the game safe with a goal that showed just how tired we really were. We marked poorly, limped into challenges and got punished. Oh well, 3-1 away to Extremadure isn't too bad a result considering we were odds on to get a real hammering.

2 games into the new year, and January hasn't been treating us well. Scored 2, conceeded 5 and 0 points to show. We are slipping towards the bottom 5 and cannot afford to have this current run continue if we are to escape the clutches of relegation.

Another Transfer Special Update

This is the week that could prove pivotal in Almansa's immediate future. We sign 5 players in 2 days in what will become my proudest week in signing players so far.

First player to sign up to the Almansa revolution is Estecha for £6,000 from Talavera. Estecha is a great striker and will probably be far and away our best player.

Jon Garramendi, a goalkeeper who will sub for Aranda, comes in from Cultural Durango for £3,000.

Emilio, a right wing-back who will provide cover comes in from Vecindario for £1,000.

Jon Conde comes also from Cultural Durango for £8,000 and is a competitive midfielder who will primarily provide cover for the existing first choice midfield.

Oya, an attacking midfielder, comes in on loan for the rest of the season.

A good week for Almansa, but does provide some registration headaches. In this division, you are only allowed to have 22 players registered for league games. We now have more than that at the club, and some guys are not going to be happy that they can't play. Still, we have a better squad now than we did at the start of the season, let alone the start of the month.

A third away day on the trot at Jean was the next game for my freshly rejuvinated Almansa side. I needed the new lads to bed in quickly if we were to start picking up results, so included a few, and had others on the bench. Jean lead the division and are a very good side. Comparitively, we're tiny and are on a 3 match losing streak. Still, with hope in our hearts we went out to upset the 20-1 odds in this game.

The game was a disaster from the start. Jean kicked off and strolled through our entire side to score in the first minute. They then proceeded to batter us again and again, notching in the 34th and 44th minutes as my beleagured lads tried to get some sort of foothold in the game.

At half time, I sympathised with the lads as they were doing little wrong, just being outplayed by a good side in form. I decided to make 3 changes early though, bringing on Estecha for his debut, and freshening up the midfield. Unfortunately inspirational defensive central midfielder Piombo had picked up a knock, and while he could carry on, we felt it was best to replace him. Manrique played instead.

The second half was much more positive, with Estecha proving me right that he will be a great signing for Almansa. He got his head to many things, held the ball up well and caused the home defence many problems. Muniozguren also made a difference in the midfield. In a much more balanced second half, we kept Jean at bay well, not conceeding further, and could have notched ourselves on a couple of occasions.

I was therefore pleased firstly that we could come back from an abject position in the first half to be credible in the second, and also that the new lads were making a real difference. Bad news from Piombo though, he would miss quite a while after a scan revealed a slight muscle tear, just what we didn't need.

In the week leading up to our last game of January and the impending closure of the transfer and registration windows, the bids for right back Rubio collapsed and it became apparant he would stay with us. Having already bought his replacement, this was a little annoying. Left winger Charly has also attracted a few decent bids and it looks as though we will lose him before the transfer window closes.

Anyway, the first home game for Almansa in 2006 was the visit of Algericas. We had beaten them twice in the Spanish cup prelims, but lost away in the league. We wanted to avenge this defeat and I plunged Estecha in for his first start alongside Javi, with Charly Oscar Rico and Muniozguren completing the midfield anchored by Manrique in Piombo's enforced abscence.

Early echanges were even in an open game, but slack defending cost us dear in the 6th minute as the visitors scored. This seemed to spur us forward though and we equalised through Estecha in the 8th minute with a mazy dribble and fine finish. The first half then continued as an open game, with us perhaps having the better of the exchanges. No more goals were scored though and we went into half-time level at one apiece.

I was encouraging at half time saying that we could go onto win this game if we tightened up and started taking our chances. The lads went out bouyed by this and started to boss the game. Oscar Rico was first to react in the 55th minute as a loose ball bobbled around the box following a set piece, and he whacked it home for 2-1. Algericas then started to panic and looked a beaten side. We continued to go forward and Charly curled a shot into the far post for 3-1 after having cut inside from the left. I made some changes to keep the game fresh then, but it didn't dampen our enthusiasm and we eventually got a fourth in injury time thanks to sub Irazoki's powerful header.

A fantastic result, 4-1, and a great reaction to having lost the last 4 games. This gave us a 4 point cushion over Diter Zafra in the relagation playoff position, and great confidence throughout the squad.

The following day I received the news that Charly had accepted a contract offer from Badajoz and would join up straight away. We thanked him for his efforts, wished him well, and were grateful of the £200,000 transfer fee, friendly that would be arranged and 25% sell on clause. Looking back through the records, Charly was the clubs highest ever goalscorer, on 11. His goal in his final match was therefore a fitting tribute to one who stands alone in the clubs short history.

With the transfer window now shut, at least I was sure of the squad I would have to work with for the rest of the season. Another away game, this time at Talavera, was next up for the lowly Almansa boys. This should be a winnable game, if we play it in the right way and give the same commitment as against Algericas.

We started the game nervously, and looked slightly out of sorts. Our normally solid passing style was looking hurried and was wayward, and our composure seemed lacking. When Luis Lopez unnessecarily haldballed in the 7th minute, we conceeded a daft penalty. Aranda stood firm though and beat it out to his right. THis gave us a little more confidence, but we still weren't clicking. I was actually surprised when Estecha latched onto a Javi flick-on and slotted past the home keeper to make the game 1-0 Almansa in the 22nd minute.

Talavera then responded, producing 2 fine saves from Aranda as we were still off the boil. On 32 minutes though, Talavera finally beat Aranda with a header from a set piece. We managed to stand firm until half time though, and I was grateful of being able to talk to the lads while still being well in the game.

I tried to shake the lethargy from the lads at the break, but when we started the second half I could see that it would be a long 45 minutes. 20 minutes of toil later, I threw on Conde and Oya into the middle, and Carvajal up-front for Javi to try to freshen the game up. Unfortunately the pattern of play didn't change though and we went into the closing stages still under the weather, but still at 1-1. Disaster struck though in the 88th minute, with a woeful backpass from Rubio intercepted and finished by the Talavera striker. We were unable to respond and although we hadn't really been in the game, had thrown away a point with a moment of madness.

The ecstacy of the previous week was therefore followed by the agony of giving away a result in the last 2 minutes. It was a real disappointment, and all due to an individual error in the end.

Following the agony of Talavera away, 2 home games were on the agenda for Almansa. The first was against real strugglers Alcala de Guadaira, who we had already beaten away from home this season. We therefore would record our first double fo the season if we could win.

I decided to freshen up the defence for this game after the problems of the last one. Rubio was dropped as Juan carlos came back in at left back, with Kisko switching to right back Lopez and Ainzua continued in the middle of the back 4.

We started the game a bit better than at Talavera, but things were not clicking in the final third still. At least we looked a lot more composed at the back and through the midfield. We dominated posession, and fashioned a good number of chances, but were wayward with our finishing and the half ended 0-0.

I decided to put a rocket up the lads at half time to try to shock them into action. This clearly seemed to be working, as we looked sharper all over the park, and only some good goalkeeping prevented us taking the lead early doors. We finally managed to break through though on 57 minutes, as Estecha bagged his 4th goal in as many games. The visitors chearly seemed dismayed by this and that spurred us on further. After 71 minutes, Eloi combined well with Estecha to double our advantage, and sub striker Carvajal got his name on the scoresheet after 79 minutes with a bullet header. In total control of the game now, it petered out a bit to a 3-0 win.

Another excellent performance overall, saw us establish a healthy lead over the relegation places. Estecha is proving to be the buy of the season, and has really added an extra dimension to our attack.

We desperately needed to follow up our good win with another, and Diter Zafra were the visitors for the next game. Diter Zafra occupy the relegation playoff place, and with us now 7 points in front of them, it would be very useful to put more distance between us and them.

We started well and were causing problems in the away defence, butcouldn't sadly beat the visiting goalkeeper. On 12 minutes, we over committed and got caught by the classic counter attack, the culmination was the visiting striker slotting cooly past Aranda. All our good work could be undone if we let slip the points between us and Diter Zafra, and the boys now seemed to get a bit nervous, with more passes going astray than normal. Estecha had his moment of glory though on 28 minutes, when a good header from a set piece beat the visiting keeper for 1-1. This seemed to calm us down, and we started to play again. One point I noted was that Juan Carlos at left back seemed to be getting beaten for pace by their right winger, but without an adequate replacement on the bench I had to let it go. Anyway, half-time came without either side able to break the deadlock, but with Almansa looking like the better of the teams.

I encouraged our lads to be more assetive and tighter. The chances would come, but we needed to be watchful at the back. With that in mind, I was disappointed to have gone behind 7 minutes after the restart when Juan Carlos was beaten for pace again and the resulting cross was converted easily. We still looked the better side, but with the chances not falling to Estecha, we looked a bit toothless in front of goal. With 25 minutes remaining, I gave our side fresh impetus with 3 subs, 2 in the midfield and Carvajal for Javi up front. This didn't change the pattern of play though, we still created chances but failed to score. Diter Zafra were now operating very defensively and the last 15 minutes was more like an attack on defence training excercise. Unfortunately the defence won as we couldn't beat the Diter Zafra keeper again, and we slumped to a disappointing 2-1 loss.

After a good 3-0 win, to lose 2-1 at home to a side below you in the table is disappointing. I gave the lads a talking to in the dressing room and hope things would improve for the next series of games.

Managing a small club struggling for consistency, the last thing you need is a trip to relative giants. This is what we faced in our next game, away to Cordoba.

I kept faith with Juan Carlos at left back, and the rest of the side remained largely the same. I hoped we would play out of our skins, while Cordoba had an off day, but the outlook wasn't great. Unfortunately, the game started exactly how the bookies predicted, with Cordoba tearing us apart at will. They scored in the 2nd and 7th minutes in an poening where my poor lads barely touched the ball. We then started to hold our own a bit more, but the game was still a rearguard action. Eventually the pressure told, and we were carved open once too many times conceeding a third in first half injury time.

I wasn't too sure what to say at half time, we had come up against a far better side in form and we looked every bit of the minnows we were. Still, I sent the lads out to be positive, and hopefully avoid the drubbing that looked on the cards.

Cordoba emerged seemingly relaxed, but a mistake from Ainzua sent the ball past Aranda for an embarassing own goal on 50 minutes. Cordoba scored again on 56 minutes for 5 and despite a brief respite with a 58th minute Estech strike, they again breached our leaky back line on 74 minutes. We managed to hold firm then until the final whistle, but a demoralising 6-1 score was the result.

We were all down after this. So far we had managed to avoid a true drubbing, but Cordoba were just too good. The one ray of light was Estechas 5 goal in as many games, and his form has been the one constant since he signed.

Another away day was to come at Ecija, who are mid-table opposition. I brought back Rubio at left-back for Juan Carlos, who moved into the middle for Ainzua. We needed a positive performance after the humiliation of Cordoba, and I knew we could put it right if all the lads stepped up.

An abject performance was the result. In the first half, we looked inept at everything except defending, and managed to escape only 1-0 down following a 28th minute strike. Ecija weren't playing that well, we just hadn't really turned up.

At half time I laid into the lads. They had to wake up or we really were in danger of being dragged into relegation. I was therefore disappointed to conceed meekly 5 minutes after the restart, with little pressure on the ball Ecija were able to walk through us and score. Estecha yet again provided a moment of magic, this time on 57 minutes to give me hope that we had turned the game round, but more haphazard play resulted and we eventually conceeded again on 80 minutes, and conceeded an 83rd minute penalty that was converted with aplomb.

Losing 4-1 to a side that we should be competing with by my reckoning was yet another blow. With Badajoz up next, we would have to find something from somewhere, or we are dead and buried.

The visit of Badajoz provided an opportunity to put right the wrongs of the last 3 games. They are a big side, but when we perform, we can give these teams a real game. That is what I was hoping for as I sent the lads out again.

I swapped Rubio and Kisko round, so that Kisko was at Left back, and Rubio right. With Eloi back training from injury but not fit to start, the rest of the side remained largely the same.

The game started with us performing a lot better than we had for a long time, but Badajoz were still clearly a good side. Charly, who we had sold to Badajoz in January, was causing us problems along with his midfield compatriots, and Badajoz duly scored on 16 minutes with Charly the provider. This was a bit gutting, but we were still in the game, largely because we were actually performing for once. Disaster though on 28 minutes, Estecha went down injured. The striker has been a revelation, scoring in each of the last 6 games. With Carvajal and Javi up front, we didn't have the same bite. We still were not being overrun though and ended the half only 1-0 down.

I rallied the troops and sent them back out for the second half with positive thoughts. The game continued in largely the same fashion as before the break, with Badajoz creating the better chances, but we held our own all over the pitch. The chances we created though were spurned, and needing to score I introduced Eloi for the last 10 minutes. This didn't work though and the game ended 1-0.

It was a positive game, despite losing. We had proved that on our day we can live with the bigger boys in thsi division, and without Estechas injury may have snatched something. Estecha will be a blow though, he will be missing for quite a few weeks after the injury that forced him off the pitch.

Estechas injury showed me that we need to invest in another striker as soon as summer dawns. We can't keep relying on the fitness and form of one player, and this will probably show in the next crucial block of fixtures.

We were away next against UD Merida, another of the strugglers. We needed a big performance from everyone, but I couldnt risk Eloi from the start as he just isn't fit yet following injury.

We started the game nervously, and conceeded a 12th minute goal through some sloppy defending. We can't keep conceeding goals like this though if we want to succeed this season. The rest of the first half played out relatively evenly, but with Merida looking by far the most dangerous side in front of goal.

I appealed to the lads passion at half-time, hoping that a half of guts and determination could win us a game that we were definitely second best in so far. The lads responded briefly after the break, but after 10 minutes of not being able to score, we found ourselves conceeding chances again at the back. Having scraped though to 70 minutes without conceeding and more goals, I decided to bring on 3 players. Conde fitted into the middle of the park with Oya, and Eloi came on up-front for the tiring Carvajal. What I witnessed next was nothing short of a miracle. Eloi looked a man posessed when he came on, while the team were still a bit shakey. He ran 50 yards, beating 3 players to grab an equaliser on 79 minutes, ran onto a hopeful through ball to round the keeper for a second on 85 minutes, and in injury time he collected a clearance from a corner that Merida had thrown everyone into the box for and scored from 40 yards. Eloi's hattrick had won us a game 3-1 where we were by far second best apart from our hero.

I was absolutely delighted at having won a game we should have lost. This makes up for some of the games since Christmas that we should have done bettre in, and kept us 4 points ahead of the relegation melee.

After his miraculous hattrick in the previous game, I wanted to play Eloi from the start, but felt that he eneded another week on the bench to regain full fitness. Cartagena at home were the next opposition, a top side, vying for a playoff spot, but after a morale boosting 3 points I hoped we could cope with their attacking prowess.

Carvajal had picked up an injury midweek, so I had to play Oya up front with Javi with Eloi to come on and hope for the best.

The game got off to a rip roaring start, with the action being end to end. Cartagena scored in the 9th minute, slackened off only for us to Equalise through Oya in the 12th minute. They scored again in the 25th minute, but Oscar Rico curled in a freekick in the 28th minute. The half just continued like that, but without a further addition to either goal tally, so 2-2 at half-time.

I had to try to find a way to keep the opposition out, whilst not stiffling our attacking powers, and brought on Ainzua for Juan Carlos at centre-half.

Amazingly, the second half started in much the same vane, all end-to-end action. I hadn't seen a game like this for some time, but it was nearly a quarter of an hour until there was any more scoring. On 58 minutes, we conceeded a 3rd and again Cartagena backed off. We didn't equalise immediately though, and with 20 minutes remaining I introduced Conde and Eloi to the fray. On 77 minutes though, oscar Rico did equalise for 3-3, and the game was yet again anybody's for the taking until Eloi popped up in the 86th minute for a fine finish. Cartagena couldn't breach our defences further and we had miraculously come away with 3 points from an amazing game.

Such a gripping game is not good for the manager, unless you come out on top when the final whistle blows. We had, and I was delighted with the game

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wilbor!:

Mate, this great, i hope u keep it up, and dont just give up! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you! I will keep it up. More updates today, and depending how much I get done, maybe some more tomorrow.

Firm top half team Ceuta hosted my Almansa side for the next fixture in what has been an up and down season. Keen to build on the successes of the last fortnight, Eloi started the game up-front alongside Oya, as Javi picked up a slight knock midweek. It was rather a makeshift front pairing, but one that I hoped could cause some problems. My biggest lift though was provided by the return to training of defensive midfielder Piombo. His abscence has really been felt and when he gets some match fitness his calmness in front of the defence will be a big plus for our boys.

Ceuta started the game well, as could have been predicted for a side from the top half of the table. They played the ball around nicely, but seemed to lack the cutting edge to really tear us apart. I saw some good performances from the defensive section of the side, restricting Ceuta to few opportunities. When they did break through, Aranda was equal to everything they threw at him. So, without providing much forward threat, we had contained Ceuta effectively for 45 minutes and the half time whistle blew at 0-0.

I was fairly content with our first half display, but wanted to give us more attacking impetus after the break. I therefore sent the lads out to try and cause the home defence some problems.

Whatever the opposition players had at half time though, I wanted to get some for my lads. They started brilliantly, carving us open immediately and only some good goalkeeping and wasteful finishing kept our clean sheet intact. Ceuta were now providing the cutting edge they had lacked in the first half. They duly broke the deadlock on 50 minutes though when another good move proved too much for us to cope with and a neat finish saw us go behind. Eloi was starting to tire up-front, understandable for a guy in his first start for a while, so I replaced him with Sergio, a backup striker. This didn't change the pattern of play though, and Ceuta kept coming and got their reward ion the 68th minute, a good header doubling their advantage. After this goal, the game settled down to be a rather even affair, with Ceuta not over committing to find a third and our attacking toil largely being broken down. The game petered out to a 2-0 loss, not a disaster, but without my first choice front pairing of Estecha and Javi we lacked bite going forward.

After this game, it was obvious that we needed to regroup and try to find a way of attacking more effectively. Quite how we were to achieve this I wasn't sure though as our best attacking players currently were littering the physio's office.

Archived