The rise of an unlikely Asian star

BenArsenal

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When Ben finally returned to London (about a month later than the rest of the team), the first thing he did was to call up Rachel.

"Hello?"

"Rachel? It's Ben here."

"Oh", She had almost forgotten about him.

"Hey, I just want to say, I'm terribly sorry about the other time."

"Oh, that. I've forgotten about that you know."

"Really? So you'll move back?"

"If you want me to."

"Great!"

Yet, Ben could still sense the hesitance in her voice. Something wasn't right, and he just had to find out what was wrong.

Cripes. Get a hold of yourself. icon_biggrin.gif

Because Ben had returned late, the season had already started and Ben found himself on the sidelines. The team was doing well in the league, Wenger steadfastly sticking to his best XI and Ben found himself playing mostly reserve team football.

Although he understood the rationale, he was understandably frustrated. After all, Wenger had promised him big things for the season.

"I suppose I have to wait for my chance then" Ben thought. But he was not getting any younger and if he doesn't break into the first team soon, he might just have to take the tough decision to ask to leave his beloved club, perhaps temporarily.

Well...

Interest seems to be waning, and I think you're the only one who follow the story now. I could continue, but I think it will be quite disappointing to be writing what is essentially a 'fake' story for nobody in particular.

I might write some more, but chances are I'll let this die a slow death.

Sorry.

see ben, you just had to say it and heres your support. you should check whether the "views" stat next to your thread changes or not. we are wiling to wait (i think) for more than a week if you need the time to stop continueing this story on a post-to-post basis. cheers. hope the cap fits!

Thanks guys for the support. It means a lot to me, and has spurred me on to try and continue the story.

But, I'm currently looking for a job, and if I ever do get one I might not update as often. But fingers crossed though. icon_wink.gif

Cheers once again. icon14.gif

Despite being promised big things by Wenger, Ben spent most of the season playing reserve team football. While he appreciated being able to kick a ball at least, he was understandably frustrated at his lack of involvment with the first team.

Wenger could sense the young man's frustration, and so called him into his office one day after training.

Wenger: Ben, I understand that you're unhappy at not being in the first team this season.

Ben: Well, not really unhappy per se, but I feel that I could be more involved with the first team this season.

Wenger: I see. I believe that it might be beneficial that you get to play against some competitive opponents instead of just reserve team football.

It was looking good for Ben.

Wenger: However, the first team is gelling very well at the moment, and I don't want to disrupt the chemistry and momentum that they have currently.

This worried Ben a little.

Wenger: But, you deserve some first team football. Tell you what, I will put you up for loan during the January transfer window, and let you go on loan to another club to gain some playing experience. Is that okay?

Ben: Oh, that will be fine Sir. As long as I'm playing, I couldn't be happier.

Wenger: Then it's set then. I'll put you up for loan and offer you to various clubs, and you'll pick the club you want to go to.

Ben: Thank you Sir! I will definitely make good use of this opportunity.

no pressure chia, we're cool. what ARE you anyway IRL? not to belittle the pwer of online identities. could hook you up with a job here, but you probably dont want to come. my 'bestest' best friend is moving to NJC and apparently its in singapore so could you tell me something about it?

Anyway, back to the story...

When the January transfer window opened, there were literally, some offers for Ben. (Bit of a joke ripped from Top Gear. icon_biggrin.gif) Surprisingly most were from Premiership teams, which might be a good chance for Ben to experience playing against the type of opposition the Arsenal first team were facing.

Wenger regularly informed Ben about the offers as they came in, and Ben took a look at a few of them carefully. He wasn't in any hurry though, and had the entire January transfer window to make his decision.

Some of the offers Ben received:

Tottenham - Despite the opportunity of staying in north London and even playing some European football to boot, joining Arsenal's arch rivals was never an option.

Charlton - Another option from London, but Ben wasn't sure if dropping down to the Championship was his cup of tea. Still, he mustn't be picky.

Portsmouth - Harry Redknapp wanted a few loanees as cover for his African Nations Cup-bound stars. An interesting option for Ben that he seriously considered.

Sunderland - Despite being an Arsenal fan, Ben was an admirer of Roy Keane, and he regarded him as a worthy adversary to Patrick Vieira, one of Ben's all time heros. Having the opportunity to work under Keane would be great for Ben's career in his opinion.

Which shall he choose?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kairyu:

isn't that dude who broke Bens leg is in Sunderland?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very good. You've been paying attention... icon_cool.gif

I'm gonna keep you guys in suspense though. icon_wink.gif

Ben was relaxing at home, reviewing the offers he had received, when the phone rang.

"Hello?" Ben answered

"Hi, is this Ben Cee?" the voice asked.

"Erm, yes."

"Ah Ben. It's Radojko Avramovic here, manager of Singapore. How are you doing in London?"

"Just fine, thanks."

"Very well. You're very popular here back in Singapore. Arsenal jersies with your name are literally the hottest things since hot cakes now."

Ben was chuffed. He'd never thought that would ever happen to him.

"Anyway, I'm calling you to inform you that you've been picked to play in some of our World Cup qualifiers soon."

"Oh, really? That's great!" Ben exclaimed in excitement at the news. He was going to represent his country at the highest level.

"Now, I've called Mr Wenger at Arsenal Football Club to inform him about this, and he has given me permission to call you up, and given you his blessings."

Ben could not sit still. He was nearly jumping around the apartment like an ant.

"But Mr Avramovic Sir, I have a question."

"Yes Ben?"

"Will I be back by the end of January? Because I am in the process of negotiating a loan move to another club, and it has to be settled by then."

"Oh certainly. There will be plenty of time after the matches for you to consider you next career move. We won't use up much of your time."

"That's great to hear. Thanks"

"No problems. So I'll see you soon in Singapore then?"

"Sure. Thanks for the opportunity Mr Avramovic. Hope to link up with the team soon."

"No worries. Hope to see you soon too."

Ben could not contain himself. He literally leapt across his apartment in joy.

He had more or less made up his mind about the loan move, but will only finalise it when he returns from international duty.

Indeed. Writing a story straight off the top of my head nearly got me into trouble earlier too...

Bad news. My computer is dying. Which is so ****ing annoying. I hope to get it fixed asap though. Worst case scenario I shall have to empty my bank account to buy a new one.

Sorry guys. Will try my very best to update soon.

Ben touched down in Singapore once again, greeted by thousands of fans as usual. Mr Avarmovic was also there to greet him, and Ben proceeded to link up with the rest of the Singapore squad.

Singapore was to face Tajikstan in a two-legged tie of the World Cup qualifier. They were a bit of an unknown quantity, but still the team must not be complacent, for anything could happen.

For Ben though, the idea of playing international football for his country was an exciting porspect, and he simply couldn't wait to make his debut at the National Stadium.

P.S. I realise Rachel has been 'missing' from the last few posts. But be patient, it will be resolved soon. icon_wink.gif

The last time Ben played at the National Stadium, he scored a disastrous own goal that condemned his hometown club Woodlands to defeat in the Singapore Cup Final. Hopefully things will go better this time on his international debut.

Raddy (as the coach is affectionally known by the locals) surprisingly decided to play Ben at centre back, which wasn't his best position, but it'll do for him anyway.

To be honest, the match wasn't exactly much to shout about. Veteran Bosnian-Australian-Singaporean striker Aleksandar Duric, also on his international debut (at the sprightly age of 37), scored a quickfire double in the space of two minutes to put Tajkistan to the sword.

After that, Singapore closed out the match. It could have been a riot, but Raddy opted for a safety first apporach, so the two goals was all they had. A clinical, efficient win in other words.

Ben played well on his debut, though truthfully he didn't have much to do and was hardly disturbed.

But they still have the second leg to contend with, having to fly to Tajikstan now, a country even Ben (a geography expert by his own reckoning) struggled to find on a map.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by milanfan_apoorv:

woah woah woah, coldkohmew. usp means unique selling point, sorry about the ambiguity but whats so great about NJC? kids from my school frequently go there.

your trying to join the army chia? dont get killed icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't have a choice about the army. It's compulsory. icon_razz.gif

I have no idea what's so great about NJC as well...

A week later, the Lions (Singapore's nickname) flew out to Tajikstan to prepare for the return leg.

Unfortunately, it seemed that there was something with the food there, and several members of the playing team were taken ill after a meal.

Ben too fell victim to this virus, but he was also suffering a sickness of another kind.

He hadn't seen Rachel since they argued just before he left for Malaysia. He tried to contact her when he returned, but didnt receive a reply. He presumed she was busy and so left it at that and concentrated on his football, conviniently 'forgetting' her for the nearly half a year.

But he suddenly 'remembered' her when he returned to Singapore, wanting to introduce her to his parents and all. But her absence was glaring, and Ben was starting to miss her again.

He couldn't sleep much that night...

Tajikstan's National Stadium was hardly the most modern of arenas. It was decrepit, and the pitch had nary a blade of grass. The surface resembled more like an African safari plain.

Nevertheless, 40,000 noisy locals crammed into the stadium to anticipate an upset. On paper Singapore should walk all over the hosts. But given the conditions, and the ill players, it looked like an uphill tasks.

Ben was chosen to start at centre back again by Raddy, despite not being in the best of moods. But there was hardly any choice. Those who could at least hold up and run a little were picked to be in the starting XI.

Tajikstan scored early on to give the fans a bit of hope, but Noh Alam Shah equalised shortly after. His celebration consisted of panting breathlessly back to the centre circle, and even then he struggled.

In first half injury time, a Tajikstan striker went in with a knee-high tackle on Ben, which he took offence to. Before he knew it Ben threw a punch and was shown the red card. He trooped off with his head hung low as the half time whistle blew.

To be continued...

In the dressing room...

"Guys, I'm sorry." Ben muttered, his face red with shame.

"It's okay, it's okay." The team tried to cheer him up. They weren't in the best of moods themselves.

Raddy intervened, "Look Ben, I hope it has been a lesson to you. I know you are determined to help the team, but you have to realise that you can't do things like that out on the pitch."

"I understand Sir."

"I won't be taking further action. I'll put it down as a rookie mistake. Just take note and try not to do something like that ever again." Raddy warned.

Ben knew he had been let off lightly. Sometimes his temper gets the better of him.

Ben spent the second half of the match on the bench, sulking and generally feeling miserable. A lot was on his mind, not least Rachel.

Singapore then had another player sent off right at the death, goalscorer Alam Shah picking up his second yellow card. But depsite being down to nine man, and a team not in the best condition, Singapore hung on for the draw and a 3-1 aggregrate win to move on to the next round.

unique story, im a singaporean too. but arsenal dun train in emirates, i think. and they arent so nice, heh.

and also, ben in the story doesnt do much at all in terms of football. so far he seems to be making mistakes left right center, so maybe thats the msot unrealistic part. your story also doesnt really talk about what he actually does in football.

just some comments. an interesting story though.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by greenhron:

unique story, im a singaporean too. but arsenal dun train in emirates, i think. and they arent so nice, heh.

and also, ben in the story doesnt do much at all in terms of football. so far he seems to be making mistakes left right center, so maybe thats the msot unrealistic part. your story also doesnt really talk about what he actually does in football.

just some comments. an interesting story though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know Arsenal don't train at the Emirates. Maybe I should have been more clear when writing it. Sorry. But regardless, it is a story that is made up. LOL.

As for the bit where he doesn't do much, he's only young, and there's a lot left. Be patient. icon_wink.gif

Ben got a 3 match international ban from FIFA for his efforts, which ruled him out of the next round of the World Cup Qualifiers.

But he didn't care a jot. He flew back to Britain as soon as he could to try and contact Rachel again.

Back at his London apartment, Ben picked up the phone and dialled Rachel's number.

"Hello?"

"Hi Rachel." Ben spoke nervously.

"Who's this?" she asked.

"Erm, it's Ben." came the reply.

"BEN!" she screamed down the receiver, giving the poor bloke a real fright.

"Where on earth have you been?!" she continued.

To South East Asia twice and back, would have been his smart-arse reply, but he resisted.

"Rachel, I'm sorry, but I've been trying to look for you. I'm really sorry." he apologised.

"You'd better. I'm at my dad's house up in Sunderland now. You'd better come or you'll be even more sorry." she warned.

"Well, that's great. I'm considering a loan move to Sunderland as well." Ben got a bit carried away.

"Whatever. Just come here quickly." she snapped as she slammed down the phone.

Blimey, Ben thought to himself. He had certainly got himself into a right mess.

Ben now had to explain to Wenger his decision to go to Sunderland.

"Sir," he began, "I've decided to accept the offer from Sunderland for my loan move. But I'd like to go up there and meet Mr Keane and the players first before finalising my decision."

"Oh, certainly. I'll make the relevant arrangements." Wenger replied.

And so, Ben was scheduled to go to Sunderland early next morning. He decided to go early so that he could drop by at Rachel's before meeting the Sunderland team.

At Rachel's dad's house...

"How on earth could you go six months without contacting me at all? SIX MONTHS!" she ranted.

"Look, it's not like I didn't try you know. I just couldn't get through to you. You did great just disappearing like that." he countered with a bit of sarcasm.

"Oh yeah? My dad's dying and you'd expect me to wait for you in London as you go about criss-crossing the world for goodness knows what. Who's disappearing now?" It was getting ridiculous.

Rachel's dad had suffered a stroke apparantly when Ben was away, and she had to fly to Sunderland to take care of him, hence her 'disappearance' from London.

"Ben, if you're not committed to the relationship, then I think it's best we end it." she offered.

"Fine!" Ben stormed out angrily.

It wasn't what you would call a good start to the day...

Archived