From Turin, With Love

Leaf_Fan_85

Hello all again!

I have returned with my new Juventus story. Once again, some players that I know were created solely for the purpose that I promised them once I do become a professional soccer manager, they'd get a job. Only two of the 7 players I crteated are wonderkids, mainly because I know how they play, and are already in the Canadian Youth Setup. For restriciton purposes, they have their European backgrounds so I can bring them in, and if their homeland chooses to take them, so be it. I also re-created a legend just because I wanted him to have one last season of glory in a Juventus jersey. I hope you enjoy this secret surprise icon_wink.gif

Enjoy.

BTW Any feedback, and or comments are much appreciated. Thanks, and cheers for reading.

May 30th 2005 ~ In The Beginning….

I had just touched down in my birthplace, the small town of Roseto Valfatore in the province of Foggia, region of Puglia in Italy. It’s been 25 years since I’ve been in this city. My usual travels to my dad’s hometown of Teramo in Abbruzzo, and Foggia, with the occasional stops to Turin, Milan, Rome, Venice, Florence and of course Pisa never allowed me much time to return to the city of my birth. I had come over after many years of frustration back in Canada. I had moved there when I was a mere 6 weeks old, but traveled to my home country every chance I got. Living in Canada usually means hockey is your one sport. But for me, that wasn’t the case. I was born a soccer player, and will die a soccer player. And if it weren’t for a severe knee injury 6 years ago, I’d probably be playing here, rather than looking for a job as a football manager. But, after graduating from York University in Toronto, with a Bachelor’s degree in Kinesiology and in Sports Management, I decided that being the man in charge is my one all consuming goal, now I can no longer play. But this will definitely be a much tougher stage of my life than the relatively easier Canadian Soccer Association’s views of “football.†I had managed my former high school’s team since I was in 11th grade, coaching the juniors to glory. Just a shame my team couldn’t do the same. After high school, I continued on as coach of both programs, and simply dominated every year. I knew I had talent, but it wasn’t until I won the national high school championship that I decided this would be my final career choice.

Once I arrived in Italy, I took my coaching equivalency, and passed with flying colours. My uncle, who had greeted me at the airport, informed me that a few jobs had opened up in Italy, including one that shocked me. He told me Fabio Capello was done with managing, and was going to retire in a few days. The job of manager of the club I grew up watching since I was a kid was available. Juventus Football Club. I got the number for their headquarters, and threw my name in the hat. They thanked me for my interest in the position, and would call me in a few days to set up an interview. I figured it was just a formality, but the next day, after returning from a visit to aunts and cousins, my uncle informed me Juventus had asked for an interview that afternoon. I packed my overnight bag with my best suit and caught the next train to Turin.

I entered the Foro Strada Altessano HQ of Juventus Football Club, and saw no one else in the waiting area. Looking around, seeing some of the hardware the club had won over the years, made my heart jump into my mouth. It had just hit me as to how big this move was for me. The secretary snapped me out of my daydream, and let me know the board was ready for me. I entered the room, and shook the hands of the men behind the team. Franzo Grande Stevens, Luciano Moggi and Roberto Bettega all welcomed me, and asked me to sit. I explained to them my goals, my targets, and my ambitions. I informed them that my goal was to win 2 of the 3 major trophies in football by season’s end. I also informed them I wanted to have a bit of an Italian influence on the squad, in order to help Lippi’s hopes of World domination, and for my personal benefit. The board conversed for a few moments, and felt I had said enough of the right things, and right then and there, I was offered the job. Without hesitation, I accepted, realizing how difficult this will be. However, with the money I’ll be receiving, I was more than ecstatic, and immediately called my uncle, and let him know of the good news. He joked about a job for himself, being that he used to play with the Juventus Primavera many years ago, and now having his degree in physiotherapy, would like to be apart of the senior squad. I told him to sell the house, and get his things, as he and my aunt would be joining me in Turin.

The board informed me they would officially announce my signing on June 10th, and until then I could start looking for a new place and a vehicle, all on the company of course, thanks to my big signing bonus. The dream had finally come true.

Hello all again!

I have returned with my new Juventus story. Once again, some players that I know were created solely for the purpose that I promised them once I do become a professional soccer manager, they'd get a job. Only two of the 7 players I crteated are wonderkids, mainly because I know how they play, and are already in the Canadian Youth Setup. For restriciton purposes, they have their European backgrounds so I can bring them in, and if their homeland chooses to take them, so be it. I also re-created a legend just because I wanted him to have one last season of glory in a Juventus jersey. I hope you enjoy this secret surprise icon_wink.gif

Enjoy.

BTW Any feedback, and or comments are much appreciated. Thanks, and cheers for reading.

May 30th 2005 ~ In The Beginning….

I had just touched down in my birthplace, the small town of Roseto Valfatore in the province of Foggia, region of Puglia in Italy. It’s been 25 years since I’ve been in this city. My usual travels to my dad’s hometown of Teramo in Abbruzzo, and Foggia, with the occasional stops to Turin, Milan, Rome, Venice, Florence and of course Pisa never allowed me much time to return to the city of my birth. I had come over after many years of frustration back in Canada. I had moved there when I was a mere 6 weeks old, but traveled to my home country every chance I got. Living in Canada usually means hockey is your one sport. But for me, that wasn’t the case. I was born a soccer player, and will die a soccer player. And if it weren’t for a severe knee injury 6 years ago, I’d probably be playing here, rather than looking for a job as a football manager. But, after graduating from York University in Toronto, with a Bachelor’s degree in Kinesiology and in Sports Management, I decided that being the man in charge is my one all consuming goal, now I can no longer play. But this will definitely be a much tougher stage of my life than the relatively easier Canadian Soccer Association’s views of “football.†I had managed my former high school’s team since I was in 11th grade, coaching the juniors to glory. Just a shame my team couldn’t do the same. After high school, I continued on as coach of both programs, and simply dominated every year. I knew I had talent, but it wasn’t until I won the national high school championship that I decided this would be my final career choice.

Once I arrived in Italy, I took my coaching equivalency, and passed with flying colours. My uncle, who had greeted me at the airport, informed me that a few jobs had opened up in Italy, including one that shocked me. He told me Fabio Capello was done with managing, and was going to retire in a few days. The job of manager of the club I grew up watching since I was a kid was available. Juventus Football Club. I got the number for their headquarters, and threw my name in the hat. They thanked me for my interest in the position, and would call me in a few days to set up an interview. I figured it was just a formality, but the next day, after returning from a visit to aunts and cousins, my uncle informed me Juventus had asked for an interview that afternoon. I packed my overnight bag with my best suit and caught the next train to Turin.

I entered the Foro Strada Altessano HQ of Juventus Football Club, and saw no one else in the waiting area. Looking around, seeing some of the hardware the club had won over the years, made my heart jump into my mouth. It had just hit me as to how big this move was for me. The secretary snapped me out of my daydream, and let me know the board was ready for me. I entered the room, and shook the hands of the men behind the team. Franzo Grande Stevens, Luciano Moggi and Roberto Bettega all welcomed me, and asked me to sit. I explained to them my goals, my targets, and my ambitions. I informed them that my goal was to win 2 of the 3 major trophies in football by season’s end. I also informed them I wanted to have a bit of an Italian influence on the squad, in order to help Lippi’s hopes of World domination, and for my personal benefit. The board conversed for a few moments, and felt I had said enough of the right things, and right then and there, I was offered the job. Without hesitation, I accepted, realizing how difficult this will be. However, with the money I’ll be receiving, I was more than ecstatic, and immediately called my uncle, and let him know of the good news. He joked about a job for himself, being that he used to play with the Juventus Primavera many years ago, and now having his degree in physiotherapy, would like to be apart of the senior squad. I told him to sell the house, and get his things, as he and my aunt would be joining me in Turin.

The board informed me they would officially announce my signing on June 10th, and until then I could start looking for a new place and a vehicle, all on the company of course, thanks to my big signing bonus. The dream had finally come true.

June 10th 2005 ~ Welcome To Juve…

The day had arrived. I didn’t sleep one second that night, I was so nervous about my presentation as manager of La Vecchia Signora. Mr. Grande Stevens made the grand announcement as I was named as the new boss of Delle Alpi. The crowd wasn’t too happy with the announcement, but I didn’t care. Mr. Grande Stevens then let me take the podium, to answer the questions of the media. They asked the usual questions, and I gave the usual answers. My goal was to win the treble, and won’t stop at anything to succeed. But they were shocked when I answered their question about how many players I planned to bring into the first team setup. When I said as many as it takes, the fans in attendance looked at me as if to say, what on God’s green Earth are you talking about? I told the media that I would secure many of Italy’s top signatures to play for Juventus, and that would be that. I thanked them for their time, and went to work.

I finally entered my new office. It was fairly large, with a very large desk. MY laptop and briefcase were both on the desk, and my posters were in the corner. I began to set them up, and finally put my final poster on the wall, when a familiar voice greeted me.

ADP: That was a great game. Our last Champion’s League victory. I’ll remember that day forever.

CC: Alessandro! Wow, this is truly an honour. It’s great to finally meet you. I’ve been a huge fan since you were at Padova.

ADP: Thanks Mr. Cardelli.

CC: Please Alex, call me Carlo.

ADP: Ok, Carlo. Well, I had a question for you. At the press conference, you mentioned you wanted to bring in as many people as possibly. Did you really mean that?

CC: Indeed I did Alex. When you last dominated Europe, you had a fairly young team. You were only 21, Ferrara and Inzaghi, and Vieri were just starting to make a name for themselves…

ADP: I know. Those were great times. But, I’m not getting any younger, and neither is Fabio or Pavel and…

CC: Alex, relax. You 3 are my core group of veterans, and have jobs at Juventus for life. I even promise a job for you after you retire on the coaching staff if you so choose. You 3 won’t be going anywhere. I promise. However, some other players will not be so lucky….

ADP: Well boss, I’ll let the boys know that you expect results, and to work harder than ever in training to stay here. I promise.

CC: Thanks, Alex. Oh, and one more thing.

ADP: Yea Carlo?

CC: Can I have your autograph?

June 12th 2005 ~ The Games Begin.

I arrived bright and early for training that morning, and was in complete awe at the training grounds of Delle Alpi. Now that the team owned the stadium since Torino moved out to their new arena, and left Delle Alpi for us. I explained to the boys I had a few kids coming over that I knew very well in Canada, and had coached them. I warned of their skill, and the seniors should be a bit nervous about them joining the team. They had youth, and were extremely hunger to play here, so I want the senior squad to play just as hard as they do when they show up. Also, the legend will be coming in soon, and will be shocked as to who I talked out of retirement. A major player in the 90’s who my uncle met a few months ago, got me his contact and once offered the Juve job, had asked him to come back for one more season, with a huge payday. The player’s speculated who it could be, but I wouldn’t reveal who it is until he arrives. I also informed them some bids have been made, and some have been shipped out. They will find out after training that morning, and if they don’t like it, too bad. They also found out how tough of a coach I am, and I warned them that if we don’t win games we should win, they won’t be happy with me. I also let them know I’ll be holding press conferences after every game, and a player or two will join me on nights, and expect to have some fun in winning the trophies and the many games.

That morning, I received a fax from our PR person in England, that our tour there would indeed occur there in 3 weeks, playing the likes of AFC Bournemouth, Leeds and Sheffield UTD. I also set up a Juventus vs. Reserves game just before our SuperCup game against Inter in late August as a test for the youngsters against the seniors, to get a feel of what the competition will feel like. I decided that I would leave the office for 3 weeks to get my affairs in order, and return once my legend player arrives. The media had speculated who it could be. Gianluca Vialli, Fabrizio Ravanelli, and even Antonio Conte were rumored, but it wasn’t them. There was one name they omitted, probably because it was nearly impossible I talked him to coming back. But it was true, and he’d be here in 3 weeks…

July 1st 2005 ~ THE RETURN OF A LEGEND!

I had called a press conference first thing that morning. I was excited. The fans would either bow at my feet, or hate me for my tenure here. Either way, this would be a blockbuster announcement of biblical proportions. The press speculated for weeks who it was. But no one had been correct. I would have let slip who it was if they got his name, but no one did. As I said before, they probably didn’t think HE would be even possible. But I did it. I took the podium, with a big smile on my face.

CC: Ladies and gentlemen, members of the media, and of course our devoted faithful. I have called you here today, to make 2 very important announcements. I had secured the signature of 2 very important players and being this is the time to make my mark on the team, decided now was the time to do it. This individual played an important role in my life at an early age. At age 2, I watched my Azzurri win the World Cup. This team was one of the greatest international teams Italy had ever assembled. They had arguably the greatest goalie to ever kick or handle a football in Dino Zoff. A rock solid defense, a great midfielder in Bruno Conti, and overall, a great team atmosphere. But there was one player, who despite the team playing well beyond expectations, who stood out, and carried the team on his back. He was a former Juventus player, and an Italian legend. His name was Paolo Rossi. Today, I’m proud to announce that Mr. Rossi has joined Juventus Football Club as our newest coach. Please make Mr. Rossi feel welcome to our team.

With that, Paolo Rossi came to the stage, and I shook his hand. We posed for photos, and the crowd was going wild. They had never expected something like this from me. I think I have begun to win them over.

CC: Now, for my major signing. This man is a lot like Paolo Rossi. He is a former Italian international and a former Juventus icon as well. He carried each team he played for on his back, and he was the reason I became a football player. He had all the tools. Speed, charisma, a great left foot, and not to mention, one of the most recognizable hairstyles in Italy. Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you, now with his second tour of duty with Juventus Football Club, Mr. ROBERTO BAGGIO!

Roby entered the forum, and the crowd was ecstatic. They were so shocked when they saw Baggio, a few of them feinted. I had done it. My rise to fame. Baggio was once again a Juventus player, and I had officially won the fans over. Roby gave a speech as to his dream to win a European trophy, and once again, possibly have a chance to win the World Cup. Those were his motivations to return to football, and thanked me for the opportunity. I gave him his number 18 jersey, since he had asked Alex not to relinquish his number 10, because he truly deserved it. I, along with Paolo and Roby posed for photos, and the fans were chanting my name. I had brought that spark to the Juventus squad that was missing all those years, and now finally had the moment Roby deserved. I told the fans this was only the beginning, and many more big names would soon be joining the team. This was turning out better than I had planned.

July 2nd 2005 ~ New Blood Rising.

After that hectic day of keeping that huge secret for so long, I was able to breathe easily for the first few moments as I woke up. I had purchased a nice loft a mere minutes away from the stadium and my office. My uncle and aunt had bought the apartment next door, and we decided to tear down the wall, and make it one large apartment. I was after all paying his salary, so it all worked out. I received a phone call, and my eyes widened. My goalie from Canada, Joe Carbonara called me, saying he and the boys had arrived safely to Turin, and were waiting for me at the airport. I told my uncle to let the office know I’ll be there once I get my “packages†from the airport. Figuring the Ferrari wouldn’t be able to fit all 7 players (you have to love working for the owners of Ferrari, as the Agnellis are) I decided to take the company chartered bus to pick them up. I arrived at the airport, greeted my players and took them to Delle Alpi. All in all, 7 youngsters to help Juventus’ already bright future.

Giuseppe Carbonara – GK – Canadian/Italian

This kid has all the tools to be the future or any team. Great hands, great sense of the game, and at 6’3, will be a great goalie for many years to come. He was snapped up and brought over to Italy, and unless taken by the Italian national squad, will most likely be the future of Canadian soccer.

Pietro Cioffi – SW/DC – Canadian/Italian

This young man was a teammate of mine in high school. Although small in height (only 5’10), his determination and work rate are second to none and his heart measure well over 10 feet. His leadership is second to none, and will be one of the better defenders, and benefit from learning from Cannavaro.

Claudio Cioffi – DC – Canadian/Italian

Pietro’s younger brother. Although bigger than his brother (6’1), he’s not as talented, nor is the leader his brother is. However, he’s still better than most players his age, and with the right development, will be a great player too.

Jamie Del Zotto – ML/C/R – Canadian/Italian

Jamie is a friend of mine from high school. He’s never been to Italy, and will definitely be staying with me until he gets accustomed to life here. He’s a real workhorse, and plays his hardest everytime he’s on the field. He’s a tenacious player who can score from just about anywhere outside the 18 yard box. Will be a great midfielder for Canada.

Steve Daponte – ML/C/R – Canadian/Portuguese

Steve is another friend of mine from Canada. He’s more of a finesse player, unlike best friend Jamie. He’ll need some help getting used to a European lifestyle, but with myself and Jamie, the 3 amigos will cause havoc in Turin, both on and off the pitch.

Marco Mazzotta – AM/FC – Canadian/Italian

The other wonderkid that I groomed to be a future superstar. This kid is a coach’s dream. He can run, pass, and score on command. The best thing of all, he’s levelheaded. His mother asked me to personally take care of him, being that he’s so young (15). I promised her he’ll be fine, just as long as he listens and does as he’s told. He’ll be the next superstar in football.

Carlito “Little C†Cardelli – ST – Canadian/Italian

My nephew. He’s a big kid for his age (6’4 at 15). He’s got the tools to be a great power forward/target man in Serie A. He won’t beat you one on one, but will cause problems in the air. A Luca Toni type player who will benefit from the Italian style of football.

The boys had finally arrived at Delle Alpi, and took out their gear, and were very anxious to get to training. They were as wide eyed as I was at my first day in Turin, and at their first training session, ran harder than I’ve ever seen them run. They displayed their flair, and passion for the game, and I couldn’t be happier.

July 5th 2005 ~ The Future Is Friendly

I woke up that morning and learned my first few transfers were now coming in. This was a very exciting time to be a Juventus fan.

Riccardo Montolivo – M/AMC – Italian

The young Italian playmaker has already been associated with the likes of Pirlo, and Bruno Conti. A definite bright future player will hone his skill at Delle Alpi, and will most likely lead the charge of the U21 side until he’s no longer eligible.

Andrea Lazzari – AMC/FC – Italian

Another prominent U21 international, Lazzari joined from Atalanta, and felt the chance of playing in Europe was just too good to turn down. He will see minutes in late games, and some lesser contests, especially in the Italian Cup. Will have a nice future at Delle Alpi.

Giampiero Pinzi – WBR/MR – Italian

Pinzi, at age 24 will see more minutes at wingback, should Chiellini not live up to expectations. A good crosser, he will help our chances at creating an attack from the backfield.

Kim Kallstrom – MC – Swedish

I really like this player. He was touted to be a star a few years ago, but has since sizzled off a bit. Maybe a move to Italy will help him regain some flash in the football world. Will be a second XI player for now.

Morgan De Sanctis – GK – Italian

The former Juve Reserve has returned for a second stint in Turin. Will probably duke it out with Carbonara for the interim number 1 spot between the Juve sticks. He brings international and big game experience to the team, and would be a welcome addition to any squad.

To close the day, I have sent Reuben Oliveira to Villareal for $10 million.

July 6th 2005 ~ Ca$h Money

The day opened with a major transfer.

Bayern Munich have splashed the cash on Juventus ST Zlatan Ibrahamovic for a reported initial $59 milion, and the offer could increase to $80 million if bonuses are triggered, as well as a 20% sell on clause. Manager Carlo Cardelli felt that although Zlatan was an integral part of the team last year, he looked too much like a giraffe for his liking. He’s gone and that’s that. He did promise that the money from the sale would be put to good use, and that his plan would come together shortly.

Also, Antonio Chiementi moved to Triestina for $1.3 million, and there are rumors of two former Parma players returning to Italy after being poached due to Parma’s bankruptcy last season.

July 7th 2005 ~ Coup D’Etas

I had called another press conference to announce several coups’ that will seal the Serie A for Juventus. That morning, I announced my spending of two big names in Andrea Pirlo of Milan, and Antonio Cassano of Roma. The fans had some choice words for Cassano, who they felt would disharm the squad’s harmonic state at Turin, but I assured him, the hot headed Barese would stay in line. The Pirlo move was an easy decision, but difficult to pull off, with Milan being owed 50 million over the next year. However, I feel it was well worth it.

The bank account didn’t remain empty, as some more players have moved in the meantime. Lilian Thurham has moved to Liverpool for $7 million, Emerson goes to billionaire Roman for a cool $26 million, and Adrian Mutu returns to England, landing in Manchester for a hefty $20 million price tag. Once the Juve fans see who’s coming in to replace them, they will be more than satisfied with them. At least I hope they are…

July 9th 2005 ~ So Long UEFA Cup

Palermo, after selling Luca Toni in the summer had decided a few youngsters and a veteran didn’t do much to put them in the UEFA Cup.

Fabio Grosso – WBR – Italian

The Italian international is now the starting Right Wing Back for Juventus. Along side Zambrotta, I have a major threat down the flanks, and plan to use it to my fullest advantage.

Andrea Barzagli – DC – Italian

Another Sicilian steal for the Turin giants, Barzagli will be a key substitute in games where my defenders become a bit fatigued. The 24 year old won’t be thrown into the fire right away, but will be eased into big money games.

Leandro Rinaudo – DC – Italian.

The 22 year old will also be eased into regular first team football as the year’s progress. Disappointed to leave Palermo, but wants to win the Serie A desperately. Will eventually get accustomed to life up north.

And now, the centerpiece of my attack, the perfect fit to the playmaker Pirlo, the crossing system I tend to employ, ladies and gentlemen….

Luca Toni – ST – Italian.

I’ve been a big fan of the 6’4 striker since his days at Brescia. The former 50 goal scorer in 2 seasons for Palermo hitman will be on most ends of crosses and long ball played up to him by my wingers and midfield. Juventus have replaced the goal scoring machine Zlatan with one of their own in Big Luca. I can’t wait to see Luca alone in front, with Del Piero, Cassano and Baggio playing behind him.

July 10th 2005 ~ The final pieces.

I had secured the final pieces to my puzzle, minus my two youngsters from England. They are, in no particular order…

Alessandro Nesta – DC – Italian

The best defender in the world has made the move from Milan to Juve after the disgusting loss to Liverpool in the final. Nesta was apparently sick to his stomach after the game, when his goalie The Brazilian sieve couldn’t save a beach ball, and wished to be moved to a true contender. Ancelotti had no choice but to accept Juve’s offer, since Nesta basically refused to go anywhere else. With Nesta and Cannavaro, Juve boast the best defense pairing ever. Period.

Alberto Gilardino - ST – Italian –

Prince Albert wasn’t too happy with his summer move to Milan, especially after it was announced Christian Vieri was coming over. He was promised he’d be in the first team, and they went out and bought Vieri. That sent him over the top. Although the 3rd choice striker at Juve, he came in knowing that, and well frankly money talks. He’s getting a better contract here, and will be called upon to score some big goals off the bench, and promised he’d see more time down the road.

Carlos Tevez – AM/FC – Argentinean

The youngster is the cousin of a teammate of mine in high school. He didn’t like in Brazil, and is more than happy to move to Italy, and be a feature in Delle Alpi for many years to come. He’s hoping the fans will forget the horrendous stories thrown his way by the media in South America, he wants a clean slate, and promises to behave.

As of right now, that is it for my spending. The players will all meet tomorrow at training, and I will run down my expectations, and prepare them for our first game. Until then, its time to ship out some more dead weight.

July 10th 2005 ~ The final pieces.

I had secured the final pieces to my puzzle, minus my two youngsters from England. They are, in no particular order…

Alessandro Nesta – DC – Italian

The best defender in the world has made the move from Milan to Juve after the disgusting loss to Liverpool in the final. Nesta was apparently sick to his stomach after the game, when his goalie The Brazilian sieve couldn’t save a beach ball, and wished to be moved to a true contender. Ancelotti had no choice but to accept Juve’s offer, since Nesta basically refused to go anywhere else. With Nesta and Cannavaro, Juve boast the best defense pairing ever. Period.

Alberto Gilardino - ST – Italian –

Prince Albert wasn’t too happy with his summer move to Milan, especially after it was announced Christian Vieri was coming over. He was promised he’d be in the first team, and they went out and bought Vieri. That sent him over the top. Although the 3rd choice striker at Juve, he came in knowing that, and well frankly money talks. He’s getting a better contract here, and will be called upon to score some big goals off the bench, and promised he’d see more time down the road.

Carlos Tevez – AM/FC – Argentinean

The youngster is the cousin of a teammate of mine in high school. He didn’t like in Brazil, and is more than happy to move to Italy, and be a feature in Delle Alpi for many years to come. He’s hoping the fans will forget the horrendous stories thrown his way by the media in South America, he wants a clean slate, and promises to behave.

As of right now, that is it for my spending. The players will all meet tomorrow at training, and I will run down my expectations, and prepare them for our first game. Until then, its time to ship out some more dead weight.

Sorry about the double post. It's been a long day, and I wasn't paying attention. Anyways, the story continues...

July 17th 2005 ~ Kick Off.

Marcelo Danubio Zalayeta’s move to Chelski has been delayed due to a work permit issue. Hopefully it gets resolved, as I wouldn’t mind the $11 million from the billionaire jerk. Also, Leandro Rinaudo has been a hot acquisition, seeing that some squads are interested in his services for the season. He wouldn’t be able to play much here anyway, so this could help him out. Also, I still have one or two more potential transfers coming in, but will be role players at best. Some talented youngsters of the U21 international squad. But I digress. We left for England a few days ago, and arrived here this morning for the morning walkthrough to today’s opening match. I was still unsure who would start where up front. With 4 positions open for a potential of 7 players, the task was a difficult and interesting one. Do I go 2 striker and 3 attacking midfielders? 2 and 2? 3 and 1? Or use 2 and a floater behind, and bring the other later on. I knew this much, Pirlo and Nedved would play in the middle of the pitch, Chiellini and Zambrotta play the wings, Nesta and Cannavaro round out the defensive line, and De Sanctis in goal. That leaves Baggio, Del Piero, Cassano, Gilardino, Toni, Tevez and Montolivo. I think I’m going to go with Toni alone up top, and Baggio, Del Piero and Cassano. Here’s to victory.

Friendly Match

Juventus vs. Bournemouth

Fitness First Stadium, Bournemouth

Starting Lineup:

GK – De Sanctis

DC – Cannavaro

DC – Nesta

WBR – Chiellini

WBL – Zambrotta

MC – Nedved

MC – Pirlo

AMC – Cassano

AMC – Baggio

AMC – Del Piero ©

ST – Toni

Subs: Carbonara, C, Cioffi, P. Cioffi, Barzagli, Grosso, Pinzi, Kallstrom, Montolivo, Lazzari, Camoranesi, Tevez, Gilardino

It took 44 minutes for the Juventus squad to open the deadlock, despite them dominating possession (well over 60%), shots (18) on target (11) and chances (at least 7 really good chances). Toni lobbed one just over the keeper on a clean breakaway. Cassano struck the woodwork and the ball bounced clear. And then Pirlo thought he broke the one sided affair by putting home a header from a Cassano cross, but the linesman figured Pirlo was offside. On the ensuing free kick, Cannavaro headed the ball back up field, and Antonio Cassano found a blazing Roberto Baggio with a pinpoint pass between 3 defenders, and the 28 year old made no mistake in the 18 yard box, and give Juventus a late first half goal. My plan was to sub in all my bench players, minus Barzagli, since I wanted the Cioffi brothers to get a taste or pro football with a weaker side. So the exodus had begun.

Half Time

Juventus 1 (Baggio 44’) Bournemouth 0

The second half started the same way the first half did. Juventus dominated possession and the whole match, but it wasn’t until the 94th minute the Juventus sealed the match. Despite Juve having chance after chance after chance to score, Alberto Gilardino made it 2-0 as the entire Bournemouth team was in the box (minus the corner taker) for a corner kick. Juventus clears, and from 70 yards away, Gilardino buries the ball into the back of the net. Just after the goal was scored, the ref called the game, and Juventus walked away the victors. The scoreline flattered Bournemouth, as they should’ve lost more heavily, but this was the team’s first game together after all. Let’s see how the team does with a new formation against Leeds.

Final Score

Juventus 2 (Baggio 44’, Gilardino 90’) Bournemouth 0

MOM: Carlos Tevez

July 18th 2005 ~ The Secret Meeting.

I held a team meeting this morning. Mainly to iron out some minor issues I saw last game. Namely, I saw some golden goal scoring chances pass us by due to too much fancy passing in the 18 yard box, and the defense were able to react. I wasn’t overly upset with out first game, but was annoyed at the fact we should have won by a larger margin. We watched key videotape, and let the boys know I was going to alter our formation for the next game. I was planning on playing a 4-2-1-3, with Toni, Del Piero and Baggio up top, and Cassano hanging just behind them. This will drastically change my subs for the next game. Lupoli, Rossi, Carlito and Mazzotta will get a taste of former European powerhouse Leeds in the next game in a few days. In the meantime, after out meeting, I held another meeting with club officials, my captain Alex Del Piero, and the Italian FA representative in England. We were discussing the national team, and I wanted to let Marcello Lippi know, my players would make up the bulk of the team for qualification, as well as the tournament itself. The officals weren’t too pleased with “my team†being the Azzurri team, but I had mentioned before this will help chemistry greatly, especially since Italy haven’t won the World Cup in 24 years. I was hoping Lippi would retire after the tournament, allowing me to take over the squad, and keep my Juventus squad as one operation. I know I could lead the Azzurri to glory, and I would prove it.

That afternoon, David Trezeguet moved to Stamford Bridge for a whopping $41 million. Worth every penny if you ask me. He’s a tad injury prone, and that shoulder doesn’t look like it’s going to heal properly. Although some fans were upset Trezegol was gone, when they see that his was replaced with Toni, Gilardino, Cassano and Tevez, it made it all worth while.

July 19th 2005 ~ The Next Generation.

More youngsters got the call to dress for this game. All but Giuseppe Rossi in fact, as they replaced Kallstrom, the Cioffi brothers and Camoranesi.

Friendly Match

Juventus vs. Leeds Utd

Elland Road, Leeds.

Starting Lineup:

GK – De Sanctis

DC – Cannavaro

DC – Nesta

WBR – Chiellini

WBL – Zambrotta

MC – Nedved

MC – Pirlo

AMC – Cassano

FC – Baggio

FC – Del Piero ©

FC – Toni

Subs: Carbonara, Rinaudo, Barzagli, Pinzi, Grosso, Lazzari, Montolivo, Tevez, Lupoli, Cardelli, Mazzotta, Pietro Cioffi

More Juventus domination, as La Vecchia Signora pours the pressure on early and often. Toni had 2 chances to open the scoring, but missed both. They’re passing some more, which wasn’t making me happy, and then Toni decided to take matters into his hands. He got in a dangerous area of the 18, and was brought down from behind. The ref immediately pointed to the spot, and at the half hour mark exactly, Del Piero scores to put the visitors up 1-0. Moments later, Toni chips a shot 17 yards out (it may have been offside, but I won’t complain) to make it 2-0. Juventus end the half with a glorious chance to make it 3, but Cassano puts it just wide.

Half Time

Juventus 2 (Del Piero (p) 30’, Toni 32)

The second half saw another exodus, as Pietro Cioffi was the odd man out this time around. Juve came out flat, and paid dearly. Leeds clawed one back on a goal used on the old adage; play short passes back and forth, and catch them with a ball over the top. Then tempers flared.

My nephew made a run with the ball, and was hauled down from behind. He got up and kicked the player back. Both players got reds and sent off. Tevez however made it a good situation for us, scoring off the free kick to make it 3-1. The rest of the game was uneventful, and all in all, a good win.

Final Score:

Juventus 3 (Del Piero (p) 30’, Toni 32’, Tevez 68’) Leeds 1

MOM: Alessadro Del Piero

I immediately called my nephew over after the game. He was still upset about the foul, and I tried to calm him down.

Carlo: Whey, Lil C. Come here.

Carlito: What zio?

Carlo: Look, what the hell happened out there? How many times have I told you not to retaliate?

Carlito: He tripped me. I was gonna fight back.

Carlo: We’re not back in Canada kiddo. This isn’t hockey. What’s your mom going to say when she calls me after the game? You know she was watching. She’s going to kill me. And kill you too.

Carlito: I’m just defending myself. I know I’m this young kid who’s better than most….

Carlo: Stop it RIGHT THERE! You’re talented, but your ego is getting the better of you. Look, you’re being fined a week’s wages. You’ll dress for the game against Sheffield, but you’re not playing, unless someone gets injured. Capisce?

Carlito: Yea, yeah yea.

Carlo: Listen to me. Smarten up, or you won’t play period. Get It?

Carlito: Yes zio. I’m sorry.

Carlo: It’s ok zi zi. Now get changed, we leave for Sheffield in an hour. I’ll save you a seat on the bus.

Carlito: OK bye zio.

These kids are going to drive me nuts. My own nephew retaliating. I had no choice but to fine him. He’s blood, but I’ve got to set an example here. If I let him off for this, I’ll never keep control.

Thanks Spav. I'm looking forward to see how we get on as well. Let's hope for the best.

July 22nd 2005 ~ The Last Call

I had made my way to a local pub in Sheffield with a few of my players. We had decided upon a bit of a bonding experience, and since most of them couldn’t speak English very well, I decided this would benefit the boys. I was so glad my parents decided to keep my Italian heritage and forced me to keep my Italian language skills sharp as ever over the years. Anyways, the boys and I had a few drinks, and we discussed any topic the boys felt they needed to get off their chest. We spoke of life, love, glory and our futures. I had learned a lot about the superstars and they learned much about me. This form of “team bonding†will have to wait until our return to Turin because our final game of our England tour was about to come to an end as our match with Sheffield was due in an hour.

Friendly Match

Juventus vs. Sheffield Utd

Bramall Lane, Sheffield

Starting Lineup:

GK – De Sanctis

DC – Cannavaro

DC – Nesta

WBR – Chiellini

WBL – Zambrotta

MC – Nedved

MC – Pirlo

AMC – Cassano

FC – Baggio

FC – Del Piero ©

FC – Toni

Subs: Carbonara, Rinaudo, Barzagli, Pinzi, Grosso, Lazzari, Montolivo, Tevez, Lupoli, Cardelli, Mazzotta, Rossi

The match started with Juventus piling on the pressure and missing another golden chance to score early. Luca Toni was fouled in the penalty area, and Juve were awarded with a penalty kick. Del Piero stepped up, and smashed it low right, but the keeper guessed the right way and parried the shot. Alex held his head in his hands, knowing full well he should’ve scored from there. However, he soon forgot about it, and at the 13th minute, Del Piero set up Luca Toni for a diving header to open the scoring. The 25th minute saw Toni score on a 4th chance rebound to make it 2-0. Roberto Baggio added a trademark dead ball shot to make it 3-0 before the half. Juventus showed up to play this day.

Half Time

Juventus 3 (Toni 13’, 25’ Baggio 32’)

The second half saw another exodus, as Mazzotta sat.

Juventus seemed content to just pass the ball around and kill the remaining time. Arturo took a heavy knock at the 64th minute, and was subbed off for Mazzotta. My nephew then took the free kick, which struck the upright, but Tevez potted the rebound to make it 4-0. The game ended without any more scoring, or any excitement.

Final Score

Juventus 4 (Toni 13’, 25’ Baggio 32’ Tevez 65’)

MOM: Luca Toni

We headed back home just after the game. I wanted the team to have a team bonding exercise, and frankly all the travel has been hell on me. I was still debating whether to return to Canada and take a few days away, until our game against our reserves. I walked to Mr. Grande Stevens’s office, and asked him for his advice. But, I learned that he had arranged a few friendlies, mainly against Besitkas and Rapid Vienna prior to our tilt against the reserves in August. So, my vacation plans were cut, and decided this would be the best time to bond with the team, before we left for Turkey tomorrow afternoon. I decided to take a trip to the Alps and bring the team together for our first unified bonding session, as a few players were set to leave on loan soon. We booked a hotel floor for the team, and we all ate together, trained together, and had fun that night together. We held a bonfire, roasted marshmallows, and all in all had a great time. We even got into a little late night game pf keep away from the coaching staff. Alessandro Del Piero then stood up, and gave a speech on how we must be focused to win the treble, and it would take one thing for us to win it all, and it was teamwork. The journey to win the Serie A, Champion’s League and Italian Cup had begun the day I was hired, and Alex gave me a vote of confidence, and the team was fired up for the trophies. This was looking better and better each day.

God how I hate it over here in Toronto.

Due to a freak power failure thanks to an unplanned snowfall while saving, my game has been officially corrupted. I will start again w/ the players I signed to already be on the Juventus team,a nd those shipped out will re-try to sell them. I'll re-do a squad update, and continue on from my story from the Juve Reserves game which is still slated to be August 5th, just like in the old story.

Thanks all, and sorry once again

August 5th 2005 ~ The Return to Form

Beginning the day, a few players have left the Juventus squad on loan. They are:

Leandro Rinaudo – Sampdoria

Riccardo Montolivo – Monaco

Giuseppe Rossi – Schalke

Gainpaolo Pazzini – Monaco

The boys had enjoyed a brief few days off and were ready to face their youth brethren in the next game against each other. The seniors and reserves had anxiously awaited this game, and the youth knew this was a chance to show their stuff against the pros. Either way, I’ll be a happy man at the end.

Assistant Manager Italo Galbiati came into my office just moments before I was going to head down to the field for the match.

IG: Hey boss. I just received the instructions for the game. Are you sure you want me to do it this way?

CC: Absolutely. I want the reserves to play the EXACT same tactics I’m using for the senior squad. Believe me; it’s for the right reasons. I want to see a high powered offense against itself, see how our defenders are able to cope.

IG: OK boss, but the kids will get hammered out there.

CC: I don’t think so. Come on, we’d better get to the field.

Friendly Game

Juventus vs. Juventus Reserves

Stadio Delle Alpi Turin

Juventus Starting Lineup:

GK - De Sanctis

DC – Cannavaro

DC – Nesta

WBR – Zambrotta

WBL – Grosso

MC – Nedved

MC – Pirlo

AMC – Cassano

FC – Toni

FC – Del Piero ©

FC – Baggio

Subs: Chiementi, Barzagli, De Rossi, Giannicheddia, Gilardino

Juventus Reserves Starting Lineup

GK – Carbonara

DC – C. Cioffi

DC – P. Cioffi ©

WBR – Pinzi

WBL – Chiellini

MC – Daponte

MC – Del Zotto

AMC – Lazzari

FC – Mazzotta

FC – Cardelli

FC – Lupoli

Subs: Bonnefoi, Pessotto, D’Agostino, Tevez, Kallstrom

The game started off with Roberto Baggio capitalizing on a mistake by the young defense and slots one past GK Carbonara for an early 1-0 lead. The reserves woke up, and began to play much smarter and dare I say better than the senior squad for a few minutes, piling on the pressure, but was shut down by Nesta and Cannavaro. The half ended at 1-0, and I was expecting a much more entertaining second half.

Half Time

Juventus 1 (Baggio 1’) Juventus Reserves 0

The second half saw the Juventus seniors put on a passing clinic for the first 10 minutes. That was until Claudio Cioffi decided to end that by fouling Luca Toni in the area. Del Piero drives a low shot to Carbonara’s left to make it 2-0. But the Reserves woke up again, and this time took control. Carlos Tevez takes a shot on De Sanctis, and is pushed away, but goes right back to Tevez and puts it into the open net to make it 2-1. Then, 10 minutes later, Marco Mazzotta on a brilliant individual effort chip sit over De Sanctis to draw level, and finally, Arturo Lupoli drives a header off a corner kick makes it 3-2 reserves. Pirlo decides he would then control the game, and drives a 25 yard shot top corner to draw level. This was a very entertaining match, and will get interesting in the extra time.

End of 90 minutes:

Juventus 3 (Baggio 1’ Del Piero (pk 55’) Pirlo 73’) Juventus Reserves 3 (Tevez 57’ Mazzotta 68’ Lupoli 71’)

The first half of extra time was a dull one, and one to forget. However, the second half saw an interesting substitution, Carbonara comes off for a under played Landry Bonnefoi. Roberto Baggio took immediate advantage of the unfit goalie as Juve hit the reserves on the counter and Baggio scores to make it 4-3. However, speedy Marco Mazzotta counters mere seconds later to draw level at 4. Seeing the game looks to be going to penalties, I subbed off Alessandro Nesta for Daniele De Rossi and Cannavaro for Aquilani, who both have better penalty taking stats than the defenders, and for obvious reasons.

Full Time

Juventus 4 (Baggio 1’ 111’, Del Piero (pk 55’) Pirlo 73’) Juventus Reserves 4 (Tevez 57’ Mazzotta 68’ 112’ Lupoli 71’)

And in dramatic fashion, Roberto puts the winning penalty kick to give Juve the 5-4 shootout win. Although slightly disheartened that it had to be won in penalties, but ecstatic that the youth was able to hold their own, and look to be ready to face the challenge against the big guys. This was a great day for many young players, and the future of Juventus FC.

August 8th 2005 ~ A Test For Time

The day began with Alberto Aquilani moving to Lyon on loan for the season. He’s most likely going to get more first team experience there, but has a recall clause in case I don’t see him playing often enough for my liking. Later in the afternoon, Arturo Lupoli moved to Modena on loan for the season. I also received some bad news as Antonio Cassano will be out a month with an injured ankle which he picked up in training. This is not good.

August 9th 2005

Pietro Zammutto has moved to AlbinoLeffe on loan for the season. He’ll be re-signed as soon as possible, as he has a good future ahead of him.

A few U20’s also moved on loan, but they aren’t well known nor will they be re-signed. They didn’t show any potential, and will be looking for a new club in June.

The next few days sees us off, until we play Madrid on the 20th. In the meantime, I’m most likely going to sit in my home, chat it up with my uncle and aunt, and maybe spend a night or two on the town with a few of my players, in order to better adapt myself to this beautiful city. But before that, here’s my take on our squad.

Goalkeepers

Gianluigi Buffon – The world’s most expensive keeper is probably hands down the best goalie on the planet. However, a shoulder injury in the Berlusconi cup against Milan will keep him out until about October/November. Will immediately regain his number 1 spot upon his return.

Morgan De Sanctis – A great backup, and the most underrated goalie in Italy. Is looking to split the time in goal with my youngster Joe Carbs.

Giuseppe Carbonara – A future superstar in goal, Joe Carbs has done well since I took him under my wing 7 years ago. He’s really developed so far, and I’m hoping for many more years of development from him. Future most expensive goalie on the planet.

Defense

Alessandro Nesta – Arguably the top defender on earth, Nesta will hold the back line with his excellent tackling and heading. A rock of the Juve and Italian defense.

Fabio Cannavaro – Another great Italian defender, Cannavaro along with his national partner in crime will try to lead Juve’s backline to another Serie A title.

Andrea Barzagli – A future solid centre back, Barzagli made the move from Palermo to Juve hoping for a call for Italy in Euro 2008. Will see many late minutes action and some starting time in Coppa Italia.

Leandro Rinaudo – Another promising center back, he has moved to Sampdoria on loan. Let’s hope he gets some playing time, and develops into a core defender someday.

Pietro Cioffi – A small defender with a big heart. Pietro will hopefully show the potential he did in Canada here in Italy.

Claudio Cioffi – Pietro’s younger brother, he’s the power defender who’ll outmuscle and outwork the opposition.

Gianluca Zambrotta – Italy’s best wingback, he will lead the drive up the flank in order to set up the goals for Juventus. The 4th choice captain on the team.

Fabio Grosso – Has finally made the big time. For years he’s been under appreciated, and after Palermo’s run last season got a call up to the national squad. Is hoping for a strong campaign in order to go to Germany in 2006.

Giorgio Chiellini – Italy’s future wingback, Chiellini will see many minutes than I originally planned for him, with his great progression during the pre-season. Looks to be the man to succeed Zambrotta in the Azzurri setup.

Giampiero Pinzi – At 24 years old, he’s being groomed to replace Zambrotta and Grosso for Italy, and may get his chance in 2008. Will also see some more games than planned due to his great crossing ability and work rate.

Midfield

Daniele De Rossi – The tenacious shut down midfielder had made his mark on the Serie A last season with a strong performance for the Roman squad. Is hoping to build on that to get more time for his country.

Andrea Pirlo – Another underrated player, Pirlo is arguably the best playmaker in Italy, and probably the 3rd best playmaker in the World. Will be the centerpiece of my offense, and will get as many touches as humanly possible in order to build our attack.

Alberto Aquilani – Another Roma standout, Aquilani has gone to Lyon on loan for the season. Has a recall clause in case Lyon decides not to use him, but is better off there anyway in order to develop himself further.

Riccardo Montolivo – Italy’s future playmaker, Montolivo has also been sent out on loan. He will be playing against Aquilani when Lyon plays Monaco. A good creator of offense, he will hopefully help the U21 side win the tournament.

Andrea Lazzari – Another U21 national, he will see Coppa Italia matches and a few Serie A games this season. Will definitely play more than he did in Atalanta, where he was limited to 34 appearances in 4 seasons.

Carlos Tevez – The 22 year old from Argentina will be groomed to replace the aging Pavel Nedved in the attacking midfielder role. Has a very bright future in Italy, just as long as he can control himself.

Gaetano D’Agostino – Another young Roma player, Dagon may get sent on loan to aid his development. Is a tenacious player who will fight to the end for his team. Let’s hope he does well.

Pavel Nedved – The ageless Czech international will bring much needed experience to the Juventus first team. The 33 year old is the second choice captain on the squad, and can still score a goal or two when asked to.

Kim Kallstrom – He is a personal favourite. A few years ago, I watched him play and immediately saw potential. Will be a mainstay for the Swedish national team until he decides to hand up his boots.

Strikers

Alberto Gilardino – Prince Albert has been dubbed as the savior of the Italian strikers. He proved his merit at the Olympics, and will look to dominate the world. Will be subbed in and played as often as possible, because he’s a goal scoring machine.

Alessandro Del Piero – The club’s captain, and my personal favourite player. He’s been hampered by injuries and didn’t reach the heights he was projected to hit a few years ago, but with a fan of his coaching the team, and another fan of his coaching the national team, look for Pinturicchio to conquer the world.

Antonio Cassano – The hot headed player from the south lists Juve as one of his all time favourite clubs. Being he’s from just outside my hometown, we understand each other very well, and have the same quick temper. An extremely gifted player, Tony Cass will definitely shine in the eyes of the footballing world.

Arturo Lupoli – A former Parma youth prospect who was snapped up because of their troubled finances, Lupoli is destined to become a great striker. Currently on loan at Modena, Lupoli will make a huge push for the U19 and U21 side this year.

Carlito Cardelli - My hot headed nephew, he will definately need to calm down a tad if he's ever going to make it to the big times. At just 15, he's going to spend the year in the U20's and hopefully, he can dominate them with his size and scoring ability.

Giampaolo Pazzini – Another young gun, Pazzini is currently on loan at Monaco with teammate Riccardo Montolivo. Pazzini is another great young striker and can hopefully learn from his loan spell.

Giuseppe Rossi – Another Parma youth product stolen from Parma, Rossi is extremely happy to return home. Is another player out on loan, playing in Germany. Another player who will make a push for the primavera national team. A good playmaker, he can create chances as easy as he can finish them off. A bright future is ahead of him.

Luca Toni – The Italian hitman. Toni can score goals in bunches. At 6’4, he’s a big man who can score off the headers, close range and chip it over the keeper. Will have the 05/06 season as his coming out party, and has also booked his ticket to Germany for the World Cup.

Marco Mazzotta - The 15 year old Canadian wonder has a very bright future ahead of him. Marco is a coach's dream. He can score, he can pass, he can play from box to box and not look out of place, and is an extremely humble person. The future of Canadian soccer.

Roberto Baggio – What can I say about him? Arguably Italy’s greatest international player, Roby will look to win the two trophies that have eluded him at Juventus, the Champions League and the World Cup. Let’s hope for a strong season and that he can make Lippi’s squad of Italian greats.

2005 ~ Quickie

It’s very early in Toronto and seeing I’m too tired to write a full update on the final friendly of the season, here’s a synopsis of the pre season finale against Madrid

Juventus fell behind early 1-0, but Roberto Baggio before the half time whistle drew level, and Del Piero in the final minutes of the 2nd half won it for a Juve squad who had deflated Madrid’s hopes for an Italian domination, as Juventus beats them yet again. Next up is Inter on August 24th 2005, for the Italian SuperCup.

August 24th 2005 ~ Super Cup

The day began with a meeting with my captain Alessandro Del Piero. I was a bit concerned about his ineffectiveness during the friendlies, and just wanted to voice my concern about it, trying to see if something was wrong.

CC: Alex thanks for coming by.

ADP: No problem, what’s up boss?

CC: Well Alex, the season as you know is about to begin. And after your last few games in the pre season, you haven’t been playing to your ability. Don’t get me wrong I’m not calling you out or anything, I’m just concerned something may be wrong.

ADP: No boss. Everything’s fine. I think it may be just me getting used to playing all the time again after sitting most of last season under Capello. Just give me a few weeks, I’ll bounce back.

CC: OK Alex. I was just making sure it wasn’t your calf acting up again or anything. We’re going to need you this year.

ADP: I know, thanks Carlo. I really appreciate you pulling me aside for this rather than what Capello used to do. I’ll see you at the game.

With that, we shook hands, and went to the dressing room to get ready for our Super Cup match.

Super Cup Final

Juventus vs. Inter

Stadio Delle Alpi, Turin

Starting XI

GK – Carbonara

DC – Cannavaro

DC – Nesta

WBR – Grosso

WBL – Zambrotta

MC – Pirlo

MC – Nedved

AMC – Del Piero ©

FC – Gilardino

FC – Toni

FC – Baggio

Subs: De Sanctis, Barzagli, Chiellini, De Rossi, Kallstrom, Lazzari, Tevez

The game opened with a series of passes, and Juventus getting an early chance, but Gilardino puts it just wide. After the play, Cannavaro pushed Adriano and received a yellow card. Moments later, Luca Toni scores on his debut with a powerful header to give Juventus a 1-0. However, Cannavaro was the victim of another stupid incident, and gets sent off, putting Juve down to 10 men after only 12 minutes of play. Inter began to take advantage of the numbers game, and Adriano scored off a rebound to draw level at 1. 3 minutes later, Captain Alex to the rescue, as the skipper puts a trademark dead ball top right and restores the 1 goal advantage for the home team. The half ended with a few more yellow cards for both teams, but more importantly a 2-1 Juventus lead.

Half Time

Juventus 2 (Toni 11’ Del Piero 29’) Inter 1

The second half saw Inter resort to their dirty tactics and come out hard against Juventus, and them taking out Andrea Pirlo. He was immediately subbed for De Rossi, and on the ensuing free kick, Martins fouled De Rossi hard, also resulting for the physio to come on. Neither play drew a card, and I was furious. Chiellini came on for De Rossi, and Mancini will hear from me, and not to mention the Italian FA. Inter equalized when Carbonara showed his jitters and gave up a huge rebound for Inter to draw level again. The 90 minutes ended with the score tied at 2. We need a strong effort from the 10 men on the pitch to claw a victory.

90 Minutes

Juventus 2 (Toni 11’ Del Piero 29’) Inter 2

The opening half of extra time saw nothing, but the second half was more for the dramatic. Del Piero scored in the 111’ minute to what had to be the winner, but hold your horses Inter drew level again on a rare mistake from Nesta. But Luca Toni would be the hero this day, scoring in the 4th minute of extra time of extra time to win the Super Cup for La Vecchia Signora. I was ecstatic and Juventus celebrated through the night for this important victory.

Final Score

Juventus 4 (Luca Toni 11’ 120’ Alessandro Del Piero 29’ 111’)

MoM: Luca Toni

August 25th 2005 ~ The Intervention of Fate

I woke up this morning with some great news. I was given my groupings from my assistant manager Italo Galbiati.

We were drawn with Partizan of Serbia and Montenegro, Malmo FF of Sweden, and Steaua of Romania. The soccer gods were truly smiling down on me during the draw, but this could backfire if I take them too lightly, and I may get drawn with a heavyweight or two in the knockout stage. Oh well, I’ll just take the $5.25 million and focus ahead of the minnow teams. The “Group of Death†this time around consists of Liverpool, Villareal, Schalke and Basel, which is hardly a group of death. The fun begins in September, after two Serie A games; I may just play my second XI in the Champions League opener. I’m just going to take it one game at a time, firstly with Ascoli on August 29th. Let’s do this.

August 29th 2005 ~ Scudetto Defense.

The Serie A season begins now. Our defense of the title sees us pitted against Ascoli at home. I told the team this is where we start, and where it finishes. We set the tone today for the rest of the season, and an experienced team would start this game, minus the suspended Cannavaro.

Serie A

Juventus vs. Ascoli

Stadio Delle Alpi, Turin

Starting XI

GK – De Sanctis

DC – Barzagli

DC – Nesta

WBR – Grosso

WBL – Zambrotta

MC – Pirlo

MC – Nedved

AMC – Del Piero ©

FC – Baggio

FC – Toni

FC – Gilardino

Subs: Carbonara, Blasi, Chiellini, De Rossi, Kallstrom, Tevez, Cassano (who had just been cleared to play this morning. May get in, but will most likely wait until the next match)

The game starts off with Juventus dominating. The Ascoli keeper knew he had a rough day ahead of him. Juventus seemed hell bent on scoring goals today, and even I was surprised from the drive shown to open the game. Ascoli’s defense held their own, until my captain Alessandro Del Piero scored a 25 yard cracker at 22’ to give Juventus an early 1-0 lead. That talk I had with him before our Super Cup game seemed to have worked wonders for his confidence, as he immediately came over to the sidelines and celebrated the goal with me. I hugged him, and sent him out for more goals. Roberto Baggio took control of the game, and was unlucky to not get credit for the next Juventus goal, and the Ascoli keeper was adjudged to mishandle the shot, and was credited with an own goal. 2 minutes Later, Luca Toni lobs a shot over the Ascoli keeper to make it 3-0. My Juventus squad was already walking away with the 3 points, and it was only in the 26’. Gianluca Zambrotta scored a highlight reel drive, with a hard dipping shot from the area to make it 4-0. Luca Toni added another to make it 5-0 at the half. I don’t think anyone can stop this team.

Half Time

Juventus 5 (Del Piero 22’ Coppola (og 25’) Toni 26’ 34’ Zambrotta 28’) Ascoli 0

The second half wasn’t as entertaining as the first, I had slowed the team’s attack, and Ascoli were completely deflated. However, Roberto Baggio finally got what he was waiting for, and deposited a Luca Toni rebound to score his first goal for Juventus since 1993. He went to the stands, and the fans were barely being held back, and Baggio saluted them appropriately, and applauded them for their support. Andrea Pirlo and Alberto Gilardino came off for Daniele De Rossi and Carlos Tevez respectively at the 75’. Kim Kallstrom then came on for Nedved at the 81’, and the unselfish Baggio sent Tevez in all alone, and capped a wonderful Juventus move by scoring his first in a bianconero uniform to finish the day’s scoring. All in all, a dominant performance from the boys of Turin, and a 7-0 win to open the campaign.

Final Score

Juventus 7 (Del Piero 22’ Coppola (og 25’) Toni 26’ 34’ Zambrotta 28’ Baggio 58’ Tevez 88’) Ascoli 0

MoM: Alessandro Del Piero

September 3rd 2005 ~ Injury Crisis

The day started with two players going down inured. First, Antonio Cassano went down with a stubbed toe from the Scotland game, and will be out for a week. But the worse news came as GK Morgan De Sanctis is out for 3 weeks with a twisted knee. He is now forcing De Sanctis to relinquish the starting job to the young and inexperienced Carbonara. This may hurt our chances for the Serie A early domination. Let’s hope for the best.

Once again, Juventus are made the favourites, this time the odds on favourite to win the Champions’ League. Oddly enough at 5-1, I have a worse chance to win than the Serie A, but am the favourite ass opposed to Milan’s 9-1 chance. How are we co-favourites in Serie A, but I dominate Europe? It makes no sense to me. Anyways, Juventus have a few more days off and await our match against Chievo on September 10th. Young Carbonara will get the nod, and I can only hope that 3 goal letdown was just a one game thing.

September 10th 2005 ~ The Quest Continues.

We had arrived in Verona the day before. For a little paese it’s a beautiful town. Great scenery, beautiful women and a struggling soccer team nicknamed “The Donkeys†by their loyal supporters. Great fans they must have. I just hope the Donkeys don’t turn into a bunch of jack-…erm never mind, but I was planning to show the donkeys a thing or two about football, that’s for sure.

Serie A

Juventus vs. Chievo

Stadio Bentegodi, Verona

Starting XI

GK – Carbonara

DC – Cannavaro

DC – Nesta

WBR – Grosso

WBL – Zambrotta

MC – Pirlo

MC – Nedved

AMC – Del Piero ©

FC – Baggio

FC – Gilardino

FC – Toni

Subs: De Sanctis, Barzagli, Pinzi, De Rossi, Kallstrom, Lazzari, Tevez

The game began with a typical Juve build up, with ball possession, movement and great support. The Old Lady of Turin broke the deadlock in the 7th minute when Hitman Luca Toni makes a great run and is sent clean through on goal by Baggio, and puts it in low. Toni responds 10 minutes later with his second, off a corner kick from Grosso, Toni get 2 chances to put the ball in the net, and gives Juventus a 2-0 lead. The, with probably one of the greatest goals I’ve experienced as a manager in my 20 years playing and coaching, Alessandro Del Piero picks up the ball from his own box, jinxes past 6 defenders, and hits a banana shot top corner from 25 yards out. Luca Toni could only bow at Del Piero’s feet, and Juventus seem relaxed and confident. Fabio Cannavaro rounds up the scoring with a 20 yard shot off a poorly cleared throw in and gives Juventus a 4-0 lead. However, Pavel Nedved came up hobbling after an attempted jink, and went down hard. I was worried, but Nedved said he’d handle the rest of the half. The half ended moments later, with Nedved barely able to walk off the field.

Half Time:

Juventus 4 (Toni 7’ 19’ Del Piero 25’ Cannavaro 42’)

The second half saw Juventus play a possession game. Toni was focused solely on the hat-trick and was determined to do so at all costs. Chievo saw this, and went after Toni hard, however, they decided to in the penalty area, and Del Piero was money in the bank and gives Juventus a 5-0 lead from the spot. Tevez came in for the tiring Baggio, and Pinzi enters the game for Zambrotta. The game ends 5-0, and the Juventus supporters go home happy once again.

Final Score

Juventus 5 (Toni 7’ 19’ Del Piero 25’ (pk 57’) Cannavaro 42’) Chievo Verona 0

MoM: Del Piero

September 14th 2005 ~ Conquest of Europe.

I woke up this morning with an extremely positive mindset. We begin our quest to take over Europe, and it begins at home in Turin. Romanian side Steaua were in for a tough battle, even though a vastly second XI squad would be playing this match.

Champion’s League

Juventus vs. Steaua

Stadio Delle Alpi, Turin

Starting XI

GK – Carbonara

DC – Cannavaro ©

DC – Barzagli

WBR – Pinzi

WBL – Chiellini

MC – Kallstrom

MC – De Rossi

AMC – Lazzari

FC – Gilardino

FC – Toni

FC – Tevez

Subs: De Sanctis, Nesta, Pirlo, Nedved, D’Agostino, Del Piero, Cassano

The game had Juventus dominate from start to finish. Luca Toni opens the scoring 4 minutes in, and again in the 23 minute. Carlos Tevez added the insurance before the half ended, and gave Juve a 3-0 lead at the break. A slower tempo and more passes let the second half be an easy an uneventful one, giving Juventus a 3-0 win, and a valuable 3 points in the Champions’ League, not to mention a cool cash injection.

Our next big test was Sampdoria, but Juve have won 4-3, thanks to a late goal from Captain Alessandro Del Piero. 3-1 and 5-0 wins respectively against Livorno and Empoli kept Juve on top of the league, and we now face our next game in the Champions’ League.

Sorry about the half-hearted update, I’ve got an exam tomorrow, and these past games I just couldn’t get going, but our next game will be the usual game report.

September 27th 2005 ~ We’re Playing WHO Again?

We had landed in Serbia and Montenegro yesterday, and I must say, it’s a small place. Not saying Italy’s bigger, but it just felt extremely confined, but a friendly place nonetheless. And despite what many people have to say, we were treated well here. We arrived at the training facilities, and I felt almost at home. It was fairly cold, and wasn’t the grounds we had in Turin. I felt more comfortable here; it was the type of field I was accustomed to in Canada. In fact, this was a bit better than the great white north’s fields, since they don’t care for soccer. The Belgrade people were very anxious to face off, and knew coming in they’d have to work hard and get really lucky to not get blown out.

Champion’s League

Juventus vs. Partizan

Stadio FK Partizan, Belgrade

Starting XI

GK - De Sanctis

DC – Cannavaro ©

DC – Nesta

WBR – Pinzi

WBL – Zambrotta

MC – De Rossi

MC – D’Agostino

MC – Kallstrom

AMC – Lazzari

FC – Gilardino

FC – Tevez

Subs: Carbonara, Barzagli, Chiellini, Nedved, Pirlo, Del Piero, Toni

The game started off with Partizan tackling very hard. De Rossi picked up an injury on a late tackle, and Pavel Nedved, who I had hoped would get a rest today, came on in relief. De Sanctis then decided to take a run with the ball, only to forget he was a goalie, and gave up possession, and Partizan took a 1-0 lead. The fans celebrated as if they won the Champion’s League. However, Juventus were too strong a team to let that setback hold them down. Carlos Tevez took the ball in the area and drove one bottom right for an equalizer, and the two teams go in at half time level at 1 apiece.

Half Time

Juventus 1(Tevez 35’) Partizan 1

The second half saw Juventus go for the throat. Pavel Nedved heads home a lofted cross from Lazzari and Juve are up by a goal. The floodgates soon opened, as Alberto Gilardino scores his first goal for Juventus by getting on the end of another Lazzari cross to make it 3-1. Kim Kallstrom drew a penalty kick, and the Swede also scores his first for Juve and gives them a 5-1 lead. Alberto Gilardino scores his second after an unselfish play from Tevez gave Gilardino an open net, and an open look to score his second of the match for a 5-1 lead. Lazzari ends the scoring glut, by scoring his first off a free kick 20 yards out. All in all, and solid performance away from home, and another 3 points in CL.

Final Score:

Juventus 6 (Tevez 35’, Nedved 48’, Gilardino 53’ 71’, Kallstrom (pk 68’) Lazzari 88’) Partizan 1

MoM: Carlos Tevez.

After the game, just before we left for Italy, my uncle gave me the quick report on De Rossi. He has suffered a bruised rib and can either get a morphine injection to play against Fiorentina next week, or sit it out just to be safe. Seeing Pirlo is well rested, and we have a few days to wait for the game, I decided to let the kid heal. He’ll see his big profile games later on in the season anyway.

In a surprising move, Chairman Franzo Grande Stevens meet us at the airport to offer his congratulations after the game. We thanked him, and went right to work with my coaches and a few players, on our gameplan against Fiorentina. This was going to be a big game, especially since Fiorentina are still in the middle of the pack, and want to assert themselves as an above average squad. The game will be held in October, and before that, I’ll have a Serie A update on the awards and standings.

Thanks for reading Xenon icon14.gif

October 2nd 2005 ~ A New Month

The day started with Giorgio Chiellini winning the goal of the month award with the brilliant goal he scored in the Empoli game. Juventus top the table with 15 points, followed by Inter and Udinese with 12 each, and Milan 4th with 10. Two Juve players lead the league in goals, with Luca Toni with 8, and Del Piero with 6. Our game with rivals Fiorentina is a homecoming of sorts for Baggio, who was snapped up by the Turin giants for a then record $16 million. The media were building the rivalry more than ever, and I was more than ready.

Serie A

Juventus vs. Fiorentina

Artemio Franchi, Florence

Starting XI

GK – De Sanctis

DC – Cannavaro

DC – Nesta

WBR – Grosso

WBL – Zambrotta

MC – Nedved

MC – Pirlo

AMC – Del Piero

FC – Baggio

FC – Toni

FC – Cassano

Subs: Carbonara, Barzagli, Chiellini, De Rossi, Kallstrom, Tevez, Gilardino

The game starts off with a chorus of boos towards the Juventus players, most notably towards Luca Toni. Toni then quieted the crowd by heading a Del Piero cross passed Frey and gave Juve a 1-0 lead. Juventus then controlled the game in the midfield, and attempted fairly little in terms of shots on goal. Del Piero deposited a 3rd chance rebound to give Juventus a 2-0 lead before the break. Juventus look unbeatable, although early in the season.

Half Time

Juventus 2 (Toni 5’ Del Piero 42’) Fiorentina

The second half saw Fiorentina come out flying, but De Sanctis was up to the task. Fiorentina were keen to equalize, but De Sanctis stood tall, until Nedved made a mistake, and De Sanctis was caught flat footed on a 25 yard strike to make the game interesting. Alessandro Del Piero was fouled hard in the area, and looked to put the game out of reach, but Del Piero hit the upright. Antonio Cassano however after the clearance puts the ball away in the 87’ minute for his first goal in a Juve uniform, and a 3-1 Juventus lead. The game ended with a mini scuffle between Zambrotta and a few other players, and all got yellows. However, Juventus walk away with the 3 points this day, and the fans are extremely happy.

Final Score

Juventus 3 (Toni 5’ Del Piero 42’ Cassano 87’) Fiorentina 1

MoM: Del Piero

Andrea Pirlo has picked up a twisted knee in the late minutes of the game, and will be out 3 weeks while healing up.

October 10th 2005 ~ Today Italy, Tomorrow The World

I woke up a bit later than usual this morning. I had a long night at the office, looking at player’s stats, scouting reports and injury reports from my physios. I was thinking about taking a few days off in the Alps to clear my head, get a little skiing done, and who knows, a night or two on the town would be nice. I haven’t had a vacation in 12 years, where I could just sit back, relax and have all the time to myself. My uncle came over to my half of the apartment, and told me I had a very important phone call. It turned out to be my nephew. He was ecstatic about his first international cap, for the Azzurrini, and wanted me to go watch him play. I was rather hesitant, but he assured me he was going to play, and really wanted me there, since his mother wouldn’t be. I agreed, and took the train to Messina, and sat in the stands, along with my uncle and our scouts to take in the U21 qualifier. Turns out there were a few of our players in the game, a total of 11 called up to the squad and 9 playing this game. My nephew had to have been nervous, but didn’t show it, as he literally dominated the Moldova U21 squad. His first international cap saw him score an incredible 4 goals. A rather large feat for a 15 year old. Every goal he scored, he turned to where I was sitting, and I couldn’t have been happier. The game ended with a merciless Italian squad running out 11-0 victors, and rightfully so, my nephew was chosen as Man of the Match. I decided to stay the extra day and watch the Azzurri play, so I can take a look at some more players more closely, and to just relax. I got a room at the hotel, when I saw the most beautiful girl I have ever seen. She was standing in the lobby, with a suitcase, a pair of jeans, low cut top, and sunglasses. I was mesmerized. She smiled and checked in. Turns out she was on the same floor as I was. We took the elevator together, and I tried to make small talk, but couldn’t bring myself to it. We got off the elevator, and hadn’t said a word. She went off to the left, and I went right. I thought I’d never see her again, and at least could try to say something, but I was completely tongue tied. I walked off, defeated, and lay face down on my bed, and drifted off to sleep.

October 11th 2005 ~ This Is Football

I awoken to the thoughts of the girl I saw last night. She had long brown hair, typical of an Italian girl. He was fairly tall, and gorgeous. Too bad I couldn’t see her eye colour, I’m a sucker for a girl with brown eyes. Had she had them, and I was able to speak, I probably would’ve proposed that moment. I looked at the clock, and as it was still early, I called my nephew, and a few of my players, and wanted to go to lunch. All but 3 were able to join us, as Riccardo Montolivo, Alberto Aquilani and Gianpaolo Pazzini were due back at their club teams today, so my nephew and 7 other players found a little café just outside the hotel and had something to eat. Seeing as it was still early, I had a cornetto and an Arancia. They boys told me how proud they were of their first caps, some of them surprised since they were still unsure of their European background. Looks like the CSA has lucked out right now, as these star Canadians were snapped up by the Italian FA. Oh well, I have always considered myself an Italian first, and Canadian second, since I was born here. The boys were eager to stay and watch the senior splay, and we all managed to sit together, as my scouts decided they were going back to their assignments, while my uncle returned home because my aunt wasn’t feeling well. We stayed for the Italy game, and we weren’t disappointed. A well deserved 4-0 victory for the Azzurri occurred this day, with Alessandro Del Piero and Roberto Baggio in particular good form, each scoring twice, while Luca Toni struggled a bit. I was watching him closely, and saw he looked a little uncomfortable on the pitch. Turns out he was battling the flu during the contest, and was immediately told of this from my physio Sergio Giunta after the game. He received an email from the Italian physio staff and he in turned called me immediately. I decided to keep Luca in training, but quarantined from the team, since I don’t want this to become a pandemic. We returned back to Turin the following day, and were anxious to get back on the field, with Parma, Malmo FF and rivals Internazionale coming up in the next week.

Thanks Chesterfan. You can't score goals without forwards icon_wink.gif Besides, I'm bringing a quick tempo game to Italy, and your forwards will burn out quickly if you don't rotate them.

October 16th 2005 ~ Return To Action

After a few days of relaxation, it was back to work at Delle Alpi. Our next match was against Parma, a team who has had some financial trouble, but look to be returning to being a European powerhouse once again. However, they still are in the early stages of that, and must first focus on my powerful Juventus squad. Having said that, Kim Kallstrom will not participate in today’s fixture, due to a sore quadriceps muscle.

Serie A

Juventus vs. Parma

Stadio Delle Alpi, Turin

Starting XI

GK – De Sanctis

DC – Nesta

DC – Cannavaro

WBR – Zambrotta

WBL – Grosso

MC – Pirlo

MC – Nedved

AMC – Del Piero

FC – Cassano

FC – Toni

FC – Baggio

Subs: Buffon, Barzagli, Chiellini, De Rossi, Lazzari, Tevez, Gilardino

The game begins with Juventus taking control as per usual. Luca Toni had drawn the Parma defense’s attention, but was still able to score. 5 minutes in to be exact, on a good individual effort, to put the home team up 1-0. Parma had already conceited defeat, but Juventus just couldn’t get the ball in the net. Pirlo deposits a long range effort top corner to make it 2-0, and Captain Alessandro Del Piero leaves his mark on the scoresheet again, with a low driven shot inside the 18 yard box, to make it 3-0 at the break. No one will be able to stop this team, when they’re on this kind of run.

Half Time

Juventus 3 (Toni 5’ Pirlo 34’ Del Piero 45’) Parma 0

The second half saw Luca Toni get fouled in the early moments in Parma’s penalty area, resulting in a spot kick. Alessandro Del Piero puts it in again, to make the score 4-0. A scary moment in the 50’ as Alessandro Nesta was elbowed in the face on a 50/50 header, and didn’t get up. He was carried off the field, and Andrea Barzagli came on as his replacement. Roberto Baggio scored on the ensuing free kick, taking the long pass over the top, and rounded Lucarelli to make it 5-0. Parma got a late consolation goal, but Juventus once again win, and are still on top of the Serie A standings.

Final Score:

Juventus 5 (Toni 5’ Pirlo 34’ Del Piero 45 (pk47’) Baggio 51’) Parma 1

October 18th 2005 ~ The Swedish Are Coming

Antonio Cassano came into my office, saying he wasn’t very happy. The injury, the fans talking and everyone around him watching him under a microscope and wasn’t able to handle it right now. I decided that maybe a leave of absence would help clear his mind, and let him go back to Bari.

In the meantime, I received the news Alessandro Nesta will only be out for a week, just in time to return for the Inter derby match. But right now, we were given the task of Malmo FF for Matchday 3 of the Champion’s League. Good news on the first team front, Gianluigi Buffon has returned to full fitness, and will take part in Juventus’ next match against, which is today against Malmo. Depending on how well he does, and feels after the game, he may get the start against Inter on Sunday.

Champion’s League

Juventus vs. Malmo

Stadio Delle Alpi

GK – Buffon ©

DC – Cannavaro

DC – Barzagli

WBR – Pinzi

WBL – Chiellini

MC – De Rossi

MC – Lazzari

AMC – D’Agostino

FC – Tevez

FC - Gilardino

FC – Baggio

Subs: Carbonara, Chiellini, Zambrotta, Pirlo, Nedved, Del Piero, Toni

Juventus begin the contest with a lot of early touches, but were content to not attack the goal….not yet anyway. They wanted to make Malmo run around and work for the ball. Roberto Baggio used his veteran instincts to make an undetected run behind the Malmo defense, and scores the opener 13’ in. 6 minutes later, Carlos Tevez scores off a header from D’Agostino’s cross to make it 2-0. The game was pretty much over after that. Juventus played a possession game, and didn’t look back.

Half Time

Juventus 2 (Baggio 13’ Tevez 18’) Malmo 0

The second half saw more possession game, and very little goal scoring opportunities. The dull second half came mercifully and seemed it took more than 3 hours for this game to end. I wasn’t too pleased in their lack of goal scoring chances, but am happy with the 3 points, and $425,000.

Final Score:

Juventus 2 (Baggio 13’ Tevez 18’) Malmo 0

MoM: Gianluca Zambrotta

October 23rd 2005 ~ Rivals

Roberto Mancini must be feeling the pressure. His Inter squad is vastly inferior of my mighty Juventus, so he figures he could use the media against me. By stating we had no chance to win the Serie A, just made my players want it more. I responded with hoping Inter crash and burn. Let’s see how the day’s game unfolds.

Serie A

Juventus vs. Inter

Giuseppe Meazza San Siro

Starting XI:

GK – Buffon

DC – Cannavaro

DC – Nesta

WBR – Grosso

WBL – Zambrotta

MC – Pirlo

MC – Nedved

AMC – Del Piero ©

FC – Baggio

FC – Toni

FC – Gilardino

Subs: Carbonara, Barzagli, Chiellini, Kallstrom, Lazzari, Tevez, D’Agostino

The game started off with an interesting note. Walter Samuel decided to foul Toni early to get an advantage. Turns out, the ref felt it was a professional foul, and sent him off, 3 minutes into the game. To make matters worse for Inter, their goal Julio Cesar jumped with Toni, and received a knock. Considering they had only their U20 goalie dressed, they threw him in the fire, and with only 10 men and their backup in goal, Juventus look to take this one easily. To make matters even graver, Adriano was adjudged of diving in the area and received a yellow for his efforts. He argued with the official, and was given a second yellow, resulting in Inter being left with 9 men on the field. Juventus saw this opportunity, and at the 12’ mark, Luca Toni volleys home the opening goal. That opened the floodgates, as Juventus saw their opponents weakened, and went for the throat. Alberto Gilardino scores on an unselfish play from Luca Toni, as Toni drew two defenders, and the young keeper to him, and simply passed the ball to Prince Alberto, who had the goal at his mercy, giving Juve a 2-0 lead. Andrea Pirlo added another goal, from another unselfish play from Luca Toni, drilling a thunderous piledriver to make it 3-0 for the away squad. Luca Toni decides he wants to cash in on a scoring bonus or two, netting his second of the game off a perfect longball from Del Piero, and its suddenly 4-0. Baggio makes it 5-0 off a glorious head which may be a goal of the month candidate, and finally, Luca Toni nets the first Juventus hat-trick of the season with his 3rd of the game, on a wonderful dummy from Gilardino. The half ended mercifully, and Juve are coasting to victory, and a 7 point lead in Serie A.

Half Time:

Juventus 6 (Toni 12’ 28’ 39’ Gilardino 18’ Pirlo 26’ Baggio 37’) Inter 0

The second half saw more Juve ball control, and domination. However, to Inter’s credit, they came with some heated pressure in spurts, but not enough to mount any threat. I took the foot off the gas a little bit, so my players won’t be so tired, but Luca Toni really wants his scoring bonuses, as he drove a curling shot to beat the Inter keeper for an unprecedented 4th time today, and a 7-0 lead. And he wasn’t done there folks, Toni took an innocent looking cross and buried it for his 5th goal, and an 8-0 lead. I took the foot off the gas completely, but Alberto Gilardino scored his second of the game and turned out to be the final goal of the contest, another unselfish pass from Toni, and the game ended with Juve controlling the ball for a glorious 9-0 victory.

Final Score:

Juventus 9 (Toni 12’ 28’ 39’ 55’ 71’ Gilardino 18’ 73’ Pirlo 26’ Baggio 37’) Inter 0

MoM: Luca Toni

After the game, Mancini just looked at me, with an evil eye, I just smiled and waved. He was about to do some gesturing my way, but saw the Italian FA in the audience, and decided against it. As we walked through the tunnel, Del Piero stood alongside me. We spoke of the great joy of this victory, and it will definitely be one for me and the squad to remember.

October 27th 2005 ~ Business As Usual

I was just getting out of bed, when my phone rang. Only being semi-conscience and not fully awake, I wasn’t too sure as to what was going on. All I remember was someone in broken Italian telling me there was a package for me at the post office. I thanked the guy for calling me, and almost went back to bed. It was still early, about 645, and the game this afternoon wasn’t until 230. I got up, and went to the breakfast table, and my uncle and aunt were already awake, and my uncle was reading the morning paper. I let him know the post office called saying they had a package for me. He looked at me as if I just spoke English and told me the post office was closed today. I had completely forgotten it was Sunday, but the caller said it was waiting for me at the office. I decided to go at 10, just to see what was going on. So I showered and shaved, and was ready to leave, when my nephew called me, saying he wasn’t feeling to well. I decided maybe some fresh air would settle his stomach, and went to pick him up at the academy. We showed up at the Turin post office, Ferrari and all, with my 6’4 nephew and the 6’3 uncle. We went to the door, and sure enough, it was locked. However, we heard a door open in the alley, and we figured something was up. Turns out it was a middle aged man dressed in a white suit.

NS: Mr. Cardelli?

It was the man who phoned me earlier that morning.

CC: Yes, who are you?

NS: I’m sorry for bothering you, my name is Niccolo Sangezzi. I called you here because my daughter has a sort of a crush on you.

CC: Oh really, and who might your daughter be? And why does she have a crush on me?

Carlito: He’s messing with you zio, let’s just leave.

CC: Carlito, when will you ever learn? Stay quiet.

NS: My daughter is a very big Juventus fan. She’s been a fan since she was a baby. Anyways, she saw you on TV the night you were announced as manager, and was glued when you announced Roberto Baggio as your newest acquisition. She’s been to every single game at Delle Alpi, and has asked me to meet you, today after the game against Cagliari. She just wants to meet you.

CC: And your daughters’ name is?

NS: My daughter’s name is Lisa. Don’t be too shocked when you meet her. Good day.

With that, he went back through the door he came out from. I turned to my nephew, and he just shrugged his shoulders and we went back to Delle Alpi, and prepared for our Serie A contest.

As I returned to the office, my secretary informed me Antonio Cassano had returned and was waiting fro me in my office. I walked in, and shook his hand. He informed me that he was feeling better, and was ready to play again. I was really hoping he would sign a new deal. He informed me he was hoping for a Bosman move to a bigger club. I asked him to re-sign, and told him we would conquer Europe. He said he would think about it. I told him I would really appreciate him re-signing with us, but told him I would still play him. His first game back would be this afternoon.

Serie A

Juventus vs. Cagliari

Stadio Delle Alpi, Turin

Starting XI:

GK – Carbonara

DC – Barzagli

DC – Nesta

WBR – Pinzi

WBL – Chiellini

MC – De Rossi

MC – Nedved

AMC – Cassano

FC – Tevez

FC – Toni

FC – Baggio

Subs: Buffon, Cannavaro, Grosso, Pirlo, Lazzari, Del Piero, Gilardino

The game started off with Cagliari sitting back, and waiting for Juve to overexert themselves early in the game, in order to counter quickly. However, Juventus played a very good ball moving game, and didn’t want to lose possession. Pavel Nedved opened the scoring with a 30 yard long range effort to make it 1-0. Luca Toni picked up a knock, and was subbed for Pirlo, and Pirlo moved to the midfield, and changed to a 4-3-1-2 as opposed to my usual 4-2-1-3. Antonio Cassano scored on his return, but depositing a Pirlo rebound in the 36’ minute to make it a 2-0 lead. The half ended with Nedved picking up another knock, and Lazzari came into the match just before the half time whistle.

Half Time

Juventus 2 (Nedved 12’ Cassano 26’) Cagliari 0

The second half saw more possession by Juventus, and very little work for young Carbonara. Andrea Pirlo takes the ball from his 18 yard box, and begins to weave his way through the Cagliari defense, only to be hauled down before he reached the Cagliari 18 yard box. He stepped up, and drove home a dipping free kick and makes the scoreline 3-0. The game ended with that play, and was just as dull, if not duller than watching ice freeze. The referee blew the whistle, and I walked through the tunnel with another 3 points, and remain on top of the Serie A.

Full Time

Juventus 3 (Nedved 12’ Cassano 36’ Pirlo 51’) Cagliari 0

MoM: Alessandro Nesta

After the match, I went back to my office, and my secretary informed me that Lisa Sangezzi was waiting for me in my office. I took a deep breath, and opened the door, and my jaw dropped. It was the girl I saw at the hotel in Messina. I nearly feinted

LS: Hello Mr. Cardelli, it’s nice to finally meet you.

CC: The pleasure is all mine Ms. Sangezzi. Please have a seat.

LS: Thank you. This is a really nice office. You must feel like you’re on top of the world.

Truth is I was. This girl was unbelievable. And guess what, she had those brown eyes. I was in love.

CC: Indeed I am, I mean, this was my dream growing up. Well, my dream was to actually play for this team, but coaching isn’t that bad.

LS: Well, my father did own a stake in the team once upon a time, and does own a measly 3% share in the team now. That’s how I was able to get into your office and how my dad was able to get in contact with you.

CC: Well, my contract did have stock options. Maybe I should cash them in, and help your dad’s investment.

LS: Well, you certainly will pay off, you’re heading towards European domination, and the stock is going to rise significantly.

CC: Well thank you Lisa. I’d love to stay and chat, but unfortunately we have a post game meeting and some video to review. But it was nice meeting you.

I stood up, and shook her hand. He left me her number, and let me know she would be interested in a night out or two. I knew that moment she would be the one. Things were finally looking up for me, and will be the girl to support me through god and bad. At least, I hope so.

Thanks for reading Axean, but what do you mean by playing hookieicon_confused.gif

October 30th 2005 ~ Lives Of The Saints.

With tomorrow being the beginning of somewhat of a weeklong religious celebration, we had an early game and very little time to prepare for Lazio. The beautiful Ms. Sangezzi assured me she would be in the stands today, sitting with the player’s wives and girlfriends. But she was the last thing on my mind right now. We were 4 points clear of AC Milan, who have jumped into the title picture from what seemed to be nowhere, after starting the season on a flat note. I had to set the bar, and today I was hoping to in a big way. I was still debating whether to play GiGi Buffon, the rested De Sanctis or the hot handed Carbonara. Taking each players condition and how well they have matched up in training, I’m going with the hot hand in Carbonara for this game, but Buffon will be dressed and ready if called upon.

Serie A

Juventus vs. Lazio

Stadio Delle Alpi, Turin

Starting XI:

GK – Carbonara

DC – Cannavaro

DC – Nesta

WBR – Grosso

WBL Chiellini

MC – De Rossi

MC – Kallstrom

AMC – Del Piero

FC – Cassano

FC – Toni

FC – Baggio

Subs: Buffon, Barzagli, Zambrotta, Pirlo, Nedved, Tevez, Gilardino

The game stated with an early foul and Juventus attempted a quick goal off the free kick, but were thwarted from an early goal by the Lazio defense handling all the Juve players with both hands on their jerseys. I jumped up and called for the foul, but the ref let the play on. That proved to be a huge turning point, as on the next play Lazio scored to give them a 1-0 lead. However, Juventus countered quickly with Roberto Baggio scoring on a fist time shot to make it 1-1. Juve had all the chances in the world to take the lead, but couldn’t, and at the half, I sympathized with the team. Hopefully they come out flying in the second half.

Halftime

Juventus 1(Baggio 6’) Lazio 1

The second half saw Juve pile the pressure, but take stupid long shots, and completely miss the net. De Rossi came off for the attack minded Nedved, and he began to blast them from well out, and he too missed the net. The game ended 1-1, and I was furious, calling out most players for their poor performance. Del Piero did get Man of the Match honours, but it wasn’t good enough to get us the needed 2 points to keep a comfortable lead in the Serie A.

Final Score:

Juventus 1 (Baggio 25’) Lazio 1

November 2nd 2005 ~ Return to Form

We had moved on from that horrendous performance Sunday, to our other main goal, to remain unbeaten and a win this afternoon against Malmo would secure our spot in the knockout stage of the Champions’ League. I fielded a hungrier squad this afternoon, sitting Del Piero and Toni because they’ve been playing in nearly every match since the opening of the season, so let’s hope for the best.

Champion’s League

Juventus vs. Malmo

Malmo Stadion, Malmo

Starting XI:

GK – Buffon ©

DC – Nesta

DC – Cannavaro

WBR – Pinzi

WBL – Zambrotta

MC – D’Agostino

MC – Lazzari

AMC – Tevez

FC – Baggio

FC – Gilardino

FC – Cassano

Subs: De Sanctis, Barzagli, Chiellini, Pirlo, Nedved, Del Piero, Toni

The opening kickoff, Malmo knew full well they were in for a long day. They tried to play a counter attack game, but in order fro that to work, you’ll have to take possession and outrun the other team. Unfortunately, the Swedes haven’t been known to be fast runners. Skater’s maybe, but not running. Juventus on the other hand had a very quick man in Antonio Cassano. However, it was the veteran Roberto Baggio who opened the scoring, while making a very discreet run behind the defense, and scored with a clinical header from a Pinzi longball to open the scoring. Carlos Tevez then scored the goal of the Champion’s League with a 30 yard first time curling shot to make it 2-0. Malmo clawed to one back with a lucky lob over the head of Buffon, to close the half down by one.

Half Time:

Juventus 2 (Baggio 9’ Tevez 37’) Malmo 1

The second half saw a Juventus possession game. They had a few chances to put it away, but nothing serious. Carlos Tevez takes a nice pass from Lazzari and makes no mistake to make the scoreline 3-1. The game ended there, and the Malmo fans headed for the exit. I wish I was able to leave as well, since the game had Juventus passing back and forth, and the Malmo players had just given up, and were glad to play Partizan and Steaua as their next opponents, and try to secure a second place finish in Group E. Juventus get the 3 points, $425,000 and a spot in the next round.

Final Score:

Juventus 3 (Baggio 9’ Tevez 37’ 51’) Malmo 1

MoM: Carlos Tevez

November 6th 2005 ~ Where’s The Passion?

The boys had their sights set at Padova, for our match against Relegation battlers Triestina for this evening’s game. I called a management’s meeting, and outlined what I wished to accomplish during the international break. If we won, I wanted a light workout for the players who stay behind. If we lost, I wanted EVERYONE even those leaving for international duty to get back to the basics of football. I was planning on attending the international games since my nephew was once again selected to the U21 side, as well as some more of my youngsters. Ms. Sangezzi would be joining me on this little vacation, so we can get to know each other a little better. However, my mind was currently on today’s game against Triestina. Let’s hope for a good victory to go into the break.

Serie A

Juventus vs. Triestina

Euganeo, Padova

The match started off extremely boring. Triestina set up a wall at their 18 yard box, and Juventus were unable to penetrate. Luca Toni looked completely out of it this afternoon. As hard as Juventus tried to break down Triestina’s wall, they did so unsuccessfully. That was, until Pavel Nedved drilled home a 30 yard drive that took a deflection on the wet ground, and gave Juventus a 1-0 lead. The half ended with Juventus dominating, but not able to get much.

Halftime:

Juventus 1 (Nedved 30’) Triestina 0

The second half saw more of the same. Juventus unable to penetrate. I was thinking to myself what was wrong. Had the team been burnt out from all the scoring they had done earlier in the season? Are they just in a scoring slump? I thought I’d shift things around, with Cassano swapping with Del Piero from attacking midfielder, to forward, but that didn’t seem to do much. Triestina hit Juventus on the counter, and with an odd move by Buffon who rushed the Triestina attacker, even after the player shifted in the other direction, Buffon continued his forward advance, and had the goal at his mercy. Nesta was unable to reach the ball in time, and Triestina drew level. I wasn’t the least bit pleased, and immediately subbed Nedved for Kallstrom, since he was able to drive them in from distance. The move proved to be a good one as Roberto Baggio deposited a Kallstrom rebound into the goal for a 2-1 lead. Antonio Cassano added the final goal of the game with a nice little run into open space, picked up the ball, and scored. The game ended with the usual boring mess, and I was still upset, despite the win.

Final Score:

Juventus 3 (Nedved 30’ Baggio 58’ Cassano 77’) Triestina 1

MoM: Andrea Pirlo

I was furious in the dressing room. I was extremely upset they didn’t put the chances they had into the net. I told them those who weren’t going to play internationally, since they were friendlies and would pull those who would benefit from more training, would stay and those who go had better perform well. I then called another management meeting, telling them I gave them the list of players I would hold back if selected, and informed them to work on their shooting drills for the next two weeks. We nodded, and I set off for Turin, to meet with Ms. Sangezzi and off to the Italy U21 match against Holland and The Ivory Coast.

November 7th 2005 ~ The Meeting.

The day started with Lippi calling me and announcing 14 players were selected in the international fixtures, including all 3 o my goalies. However, I informed the former Juventus boss that Luca Toni and Alessandro Del Piero would not be going to Holland or the Ivory Coast. Alex won’t go because he was fatigued, and I didn’t want to risk injury, and Luca Toni would stay back for poor form and confidence. Lippi wasn’t too pleased, but agreed Alex needs the rest. As I left for the airport, Luca stopped me at the office, and asked why he was withdrawn.

CC: Look Luca, ever since you’re big game against Inter, you’ve been cold. I don’t know if it’s confidence, or burnt out, or lack of desire, but I’m keeping you home to train with the youngsters, get your confidence back up. Believe me it’s for the best.

LT: OK boss. I’ll see you when I get back.

CC: Have some fun Luca; it looks like you’re not in the best of moods lately. Take the two weeks to shoot every chance you get, and hopefully you come back stronger than ever.

With that, I shook his hand, and left for the airport.

November 11th 2005 ~ The Beginning Of A Beautiful Friendship

We had arrived in Holland a few days ago. A little sightseeing, a partying and a few awkward moments all culminated to the Azzurrini took on the Dutch. Lisa was very happy to be here this afternoon, and my nephew looked really good during the warm-ups. The match began, and I took notice how well the youth were playing in this no pressure game, and realized this may be the answer to my problems for my slumping squad. Anyways, my nephew had decided to control the field of play, and the youngsters took a 2-1 lead at half time. We settled down in our seats for the second half, and she was really into the match. I couldn’t take my eyes off her. She was a really beautiful girl, and he had much in common. Her being a Juventus fan put her over the top, and decided that this could work. The game ended with my nephew getting the hat-trick and Man of the Match honours for the second international game in a row, and Ms. Sangezzi and I immediately left for The Ivory Coast for the next game.

November 13th 2005 ~ The Hitman

I received a phone call from my coaching staff in Italy, informing me Luca Toni has adapted well to the new training schedule, and looks more confident in front of goal. I let them know to keep him until the team returns, and will hopefully get back into goal scoring form. That coupled with news 3 of my bids had been accepted for a role player and two future stars into the Delle Alpi set-up. Ms Sangezzi knocked on my door, and wanted to do some more sight seeing in and around the coast. I had agreed, since the next game wouldn’t be for a few days. We ate at the finest restaurants, took in the sights and sound of the Ivory Coast, and visited the training grounds and caught up with a few of my players. I had asked them all how they were and most of them were enjoying their loan spells. All that is except for Giuseppe Rossi. He was getting a lot of time on the pitch, but wasn’t happy in Germany. I had assured him come January, if he was still unhappy, he’s return to Italy, and get a few matches for the senior squad. Until then, he’d have to wait it out and see how he does in Germany. He’s by no means slacking or playing poorly; he has 7 goals from 14 matches, and has played in all 4 games in Europe. However, if he’s unhappy, then I have no choice but to recall him and let him play a game or two for Juve. The U21 staff had decided to let me sit on the sidelines, with Ms. Sangezzi of course to take in the game. I was honoured to be a part of the international preparation, and this would be a good experience for me, considering I’d be interested in coaching at the international level some day. The next few days saw me training the youth for the match against the Ivory Coast, a task that will help me in the long run I hope.

November 15th 2005 ~ First Cap

I had my “first cap†as a coach for the U21 side today. We were playing a very motivated Ivory Coast squad who shouldn’t be taken lightly. The youngsters were prepared, and headed of onto the field. We watched them warm up, and I had a feeling my nephew would be the one to watch this afternoon. Turns out I was right, as Carlito took the play to Ivory Coast, and scored early and often. All in all, another hat-trick for the 15 year old, and if I were able to, I’d play him right now on the Serie A. But I can’t. He’d be the perfect fit to replace Toni who seems to be a bit out of form, but is fully rested and hopefully, hungry for goals again. We are set to return to Italy tomorrow evening, and with the time I spent with Lisa, I had a feeling this was the beginning of something big.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Leaf_Fan_85:

Thanks for reading Axean, but what do you mean by playing hookieicon_confused.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Going for the ladies with devious intent icon_wink.gif

But I wouldn't expect anything else from somebody plying his trade in Italy icon_biggrin.gif

Devious? I have no idea what you're talking about axeman icon_razz.gif

November 18th 2005 ~ More Travel

Italy U21’s had drawn Poland in the U21 qualifications, and guess who was selected for the squad? So I left the office once again, and flew with my nephew to Poland. I had a few run-ins with the Polish back in Canada. A girl there who took my heart, broke it, and shared her love with someone else. However, the joke’s on her since he’s still working at McDonalds, and she never kicked her habit of a certain plant. But that’s a tale for the summer holiday. The U21 were the heavy favourites, and were going to be on national TV, and I know for a fact my sister would be watching this game with great interest. Italy came out flying as they always do. The completely dominated Poland, and were well on their way to another victory. With the game ending at 4-1, the Italians would be laughing their way to the Euro U21 with the home leg being a useless game. We flew back to Italy for the return match in two days time, which I unfortunately would not be attending, due to our Champion’s League match against Steaua in Romania. The moment we land, I’ll be on the team’s charter plane to Romania, with a mainly reserve squad, with the exception of Luca Toni and Alessandro Del Piero, hoping this would be the game to get them back into form. However, once we landed in Turin, I received some terrible news. 3 players received serious injuries while I was away. Steve Daponte will be out of action a month with a broken arm he received during his first cap for Canada. Great way to debut. Jamie Del Zotto will be out of action 3 months with a broken ankle, and Gianluca Zambrotta will also be out 3 months with a torn hamstring. Luckily Chiellini and Grosso are on good form in order to cover, and Pinzi isn’t so bad either.

I was sitting on the plane as we left for Romania, when new Assistant Manager Giovanni Grossi tapped me on the shoulder. He was very excited to be a part of Juventus, joining from Serie C outfit Foggia, and into mainstream football. He would be a manager some day. Anyways, we discussed out tactics for the upcoming match against Steaua, and what I was looking to do. I responded I want to play a simple ball movement game, and give it to Luca or Alex as often as possible. Seeing with all the jet lag, I will definitely not be able to run training the next day or two. He assured me he would convey my message to training the next morning, and I nodded back to sleep.

November 21st 2005 ~ Showing Their Age.

The Italian national squad definitely has seen their best days. Their future looks pretty good, but right now, I’m not so sure Marcello Lippi is making some great selections, seeing the Azzurri had lost 2-1 to the Ivory Coast in their last contest. Granted I removed Italy’s best two players right now in Toni and Del Piero, he went with a relatively older setup, but snapped up Chiellini and Carbonara for their first senior caps. This is bad news for the U21, as their best goalie looks destined to go to Germany as opposed to playing in the U21 tournament. The likes of Pippo Inzaghi, Christian Vieri and of all people Eugino Corini were selected for the Ivory Coast game, and played ahead of Pirlo, Gilardino and Cassano in the Ivory Coast game. I think Lippi is getting a little senile in his old age, and am thinking the Italian FA will be looking for a new manager sooner than later. Anyway, I decided to have a light training exercise this morning with the squad, and let them know the gameplan. Get Luca and Alessandro the ball. It was simple, and a little scrimmage ensued with the veterans playing a lot of keepaway from the youngsters, and I suddenly called the game. I explained to the team I hated this keepaway mentality, and wanted goals. Lots of goals. In fact, if they decide to play that stupid keepaway game tomorrow, I’d fine them, bench them and make sure they never do it again. The team saw me go from clam to explosive, and no one said a word. I walked off the training ground, furious, and told the team they could do whatever the hell they wanted. This was getting irritating now.

November 22nd 2005 ~ Game Time.

I arrived at the stadium with the starting lineup in hand. The media had predicted an easy victory for Juventus this afternoon, despite playing away from Delle Alpi. I handed the referee the gamesheet, and sat on the bench, waiting to see the team play.

Champion’s League

Juventus vs. Steaua

Steaua, Bucharest.

Starting XI:

GK – De Sanctis

DC – Nesta

DC – Cannavaro

WBR – Grosso

WBL – Chiellini

MC – Kallstrom

MC – De Rossi

AMC – Del Piero ©

FC – Tevez

FC – Toni

FC – Gilardino

Subs: Buffon, Barzagli, Pinzi, Pirlo, Nedved, Cassano, Baggio

Juventus took my comments to heart and came out FLYING! Any time they saw a good chance to shoot, they took it, and Steaua were beaten the moment the ball was kicked off. Luca Toni opened the scoring 20’ in, with a bit of a selfish play. Daniele De Rossi drilled a long shot about 35 yards out, and Luca got in front of it, and re-directed the shot with his head the other way, catching the goalie flat footed, and up 1-0. The referee and his linesman must have been Steaua fans, or didn’t do well in referee school, because they failed to realize that it’s offside if a player is in an offside position BEFORE the ball is played to him. Gilardino was adjudged to be offside, crossed the ball in, And Luca Toni should have had his second goal of the game, but was disallowed. Once again, after Steaua tried to take a quick free kick, Tevez broke through with the ball, and scored, but was called on an offside again. I got up, but was immediately held in position by my coaching staff. To make matters worse, Alessandro Del Piero was denied a goal, because the referee felt he jumped unfairly with the defender in the are, and gave Steaua a free kick, however, Tevez intercepted, and lobbed an open net goal to give the away team a 2-0 lead. That was until the referee somehow decided that Tevez was offside. I was furious, and sputtered curses in Italian towards the referee. The half came with Tevez getting fouled hard by the Steaua defender, and surprise surprise, no foul, no card.

Half Time:

Juventus 1 (Toni 20’) Steaua 0

The true score Juventus 5 (Toni 20’ 24’ Tevez 26’ 41’ Del Piero 30’)

The second half saw Juventus fly again. Substitute Antonio Cassano made his mark moments after coming on, by making a dashing run behind the defense, and depositing the ball into the goal, while the goalie was still deciding whether to rush out to stay in the net. I made a comment to the linesman, asking him if he was sure that wasn’t offside, and he gave me a stern look. I flipped him off behind his back, and sat down. He must have seen it, because he called a foul in the ensuing kickoff, a long ball play, and Steaua got a penalty kick. They scored of course, and made things interesting. However, they were unable to catch Juve, and with another 3 goals disallowed in the contest, Juventus walked away with 3 points, in a 2-1 victory.

Final Score:

Juventus 2 (Toni 20, Cassano 46’) Steaua 1

November 27th 2005 ~ Return to Serie A

Our previous Serie A game was cancelled due to our international fixture, so we’re a game behind the rest of the Serie A, but still ahead by 1 point over Milan. We had our next match this afternoon against lowly Siena. I arrived at the stadium 2 hours before gametime, and low and behold, Ms. Sangezzi is waiting for me in my office again. She sat down, and we began discussing how our trips went for the international fixtures. She seemed to enjoy herself much more than I expected, but I was a little concerned that I hadn’t tried anything during the trip. Whether it be dinner, a social night out once we got back, I was just so consumed with all of this in my plate. I then had asked her out that night for a post win drink, and maybe some dinner afterwards. She unfortunately declined, since she was leaving for Milan later that night, since she had entered in the preliminaries for the Miss Italia contest. I had wished her well, and received a call requesting my presence in the locker-room for the pre game meeting. I thanked her for her time, and wished her well again, before heading down for this afternoon’s contest.

Serie A

Juventus vs. Siena

Stadio Delle Alpi, Turin

Starting XI:

GK – Buffon

DC – Nesta

DC – Cannavaro

WBR – Grosso

WBL – Chiellini

MC – De Rossi

DC – Kallstrom

AMC – Del Piero ©

FC – Cassano

FC – Toni

FC – Baggio

Subs: De Sanctis, Barzagli, Pinzi, Pirlo, Nedved, Tevez, Gilardino

Juventus control the game, and Siena was in for a brave fight. With 3 Juventus players in their lineup, Siena may have had a chance. However, it is Juventus, who scored in the opening minute, as Luca Toni received a pass from Del Piero, walked in alone and buries it for his 22nd goal of the campaign, and an early 1-0 lead. Unfortunately 2 minutes later, Luca’s game was over as he was fouled hard from behind, and was forced to be substituted. Alberto Gilardino netted the game, and Juve seemed to lose it firepower with their number 1 scorer out. The half ended with a lot of half chances, and not much else.

Halftime:

Juventus 1(Toni 1’) Siena 0

The second half saw some more boring play. Half chances by Juve, no chances for Siena, and exactly what the media had expected. That was until Gilardino put away a rebound from a Baggio shot to make it 2-0. Del Piero not 10 minutes later scored on a long range free kick for a 3-0 lead, and Antonio Cassano rounded off the scoring with a handcuffing chip shot that the Siena keeper was unable to handle. The game ends with another 3 points Juve’s way, and one step closer to the Serie A winter title.

Final Score:

Juventus 4 (Toni 1’ Gilardino 54’ Del Piero 63’ Cassano 79’) Siena 0

MoM: Fabio Grosso

November 29th 2005 ~ Coppa Italia.

Our draw for the Coppa Italia had Juve playing Serie B side Catania at Delle Alpi. With this being a home Italian Cup game, I was going to field a roster of young guns, and leave some key players to rest for our next game. Worst case scenario is we lose, and I just field the first team away, and score some goals.

Coppa Italia

Juventus vs. Catania

Stadio Delle Alpi, Turin

Starting XI:

GK – Carbonara

DC – Barzagli

DC – P. Cioffi

WBR – Pinzi ©

WBL – De Ceglie (Juve U20)

MC – D’Agostino

MC – Kallstrom

AMC – Lazzari

FC – Cassano

FC – Gilardino

FC – Tevez

Subs: De Sanctis, Nesta, Chiellini, De Rossi, Pirlo, Nedved, Del Piero

In a game few thought would be close, Juventus seemed disinterested in putting the game away early. In fact, it took almost 40 minutes for Juve to score, but what a beautiful goal it was. Gaetano D’Agostino hits a first time deflected half volley from 30 yards away and gives the home team a 1-0 lead. That lead was short lived as just after the kickoff Catania scored with a bit of a lucky shot to raw level. That draw was also short lived as on the ensuing kickoff, Gilardino scores to make it 2-1 at the break. I wasn’t too thrilled, but will take the 2-1 right now.

Halftime:

Juventus 2 (D’Agostino 41’ Gilardino 44’) Catania 1

The second half saw Juventus catch their hearts in their throats, as Carbonara made two HUGE stops to keep the game 2-1. First, a close range free kick was pushed away, and somehow, got his fingertips to the rebound to tip it over the bar. With De Ceglie being subbed for Chiellini and De Rossi entering the game for Lazzari, Juventus’ offense jumpstarted, and Kallstrom let Gilardino run onto a nice pass, and he scored for a 3-1 lead. Kallstrom left his mark on the game with a thunderous right footed free kick from 20 yards away to make it 4-1, and the end of the game. A good victory for the young squad, and with the next Italian Cup game seemingly unimportant, it will be a good confidence builder right now at Delle Alpi.

Final Score

Juventus 4 (D’Agostino 41’ Gilardino 44’ 73’ Kallstrom 76’) Catania 1

MoM: Kim Kallstrom.

December 3rd 2005 ~ Miss Italia

The Udinese/Juventus derby has been dubbed by me in the media as the Zebra Derby. The boys and I had traveled to Friuli for the matchup, and just before we began our contest, my mobile rang.

CC: Hello?

LS: Hi Carlo, its Lisa.

CC: Lisa? I joked, pretending not to know who she was.

LS: Come on Carlo. It’s Lisa.

CC: I know, I was just teasing. How are you?

LS: I’m great. I’ve got great news. I’m a finalist for Miss Italia.

CC: Oh, that’s great. I mean, it’s a popular contest, but with you in it, it may have lost a lot of its muscle I said, tongue in cheek. She seemed upset, so I assured her I was teasing.

LS: Well, as part of the rules of the competition, I’m allowed to have two guests in the theatre. Being that my father is one, I was hoping you’d be the other.

CC: Well, I’d be honoured Lisa. And by the way, I know you’re going to win.

LS: Thanks Carlo, I hope I win too. Good luck with the game. Ciao.

With that, she hung up on her end, and I smiled. Then Alex tapped me on the shoulder, letting me know it was time to play.

Serie A

Juventus vs. Udinese

Stadio Friuli Udine.

Starting XI:

GK – Buffon

DC – Nesta

DC – Cannavaro

WBR – Chiellini

WBL – Grosso

MC – Nedved

MC – Pirlo

AMC – Nedved

FC – Del Piero ©

FC – Toni

FC – Baggio

Juventus came out flying as usual. Alessandro Del Piero skinned two Udinese defenders, before he was hauled down just in front of the area. He then stepped up to take the free kick, and curled it in for a 1-0 lead. Juventus then took the game to Udinese, but were unable to increase the lead. Luca Toni was then fouled hard by the last man, and was immediately sent off. Del Piero stepped up, and was money in the bank from the spot for a 2-0 lead. Luca Toni then added to his goal scoring lead, with a gorgeous move at the edge of the area to beat a defender, and buried it for a 3-0 lead at the break. Del Piero will not play the second half, after he pulled up short during the Luca Toni goal.

Halftime

Juventus 3 (Del Piero 6’ (pk 33’) Toni 41’) Udinese 0

Juventus had Kim Kallstrom enter the game for Del Piero. They missed some chances to have the game dead and buried, but Luca Toni still shone despite the lack of goals. In the 55’ minute, Big Luca headed home for the 4th goal of the game for Juve, and that signaled for the Udinese fans to leave the stadium. They didn’t miss much, except Luca miss his opportunity to get the hat trick. The end of the game came with another Udinese sending off, but just before the whistle. Another 3 points and a commanding 7 point lead now in the Serie A.

Final Score:

Juventus 3 (Del Piero 6’ (pk 33’) Toni 41’ 55’) Udinese 0

MoM: Giorgio Chiellini

December 7th 2005 ~ Knockout Stage Awaits.

With the group won, qualification secured and the knockout stage awaiting Juventus for another season, Partizan had everything to play for. A victory for Partizan would mean second round. A loss means they go back home for their domestic title, as Malmo would finish 3rd and get the UEFA cup spot. Partizan was hoping for a 2nd XI. However, I decided to side a stronger side than I normally would. Let’s hope for no major injuries during this match.

Champion’s League

Juventus .s Partizan

Stadio Delle Alpi, Turin

Starting XI:

GK – De Sanctis

DC – Cannavaro

DC – Nesta

WBR – Chiellini

WBL – Grosso

MC – Pirlo

MC – De Rossi

AMC – Tevez

FC – Del Piero ©

FC – Toni

FC – Baggio

Subs: Buffon, Barzagli, Pinzi, Lazzari, Nedved, Cassano, Gilardino.

Partizan came out strong this evening, wanting an early goal to set the bar. But they just couldn’t break down the Juventus wall set up in front of De Sanctis. As much as Partizan tried, they were unable to get any chance on goal. Juventus were coasting too much for my liking, and I shouted from the sidelines about them playing boring football. Luca Toni then took notice, and control and made a great run behind the defense, and scored to make it 1-0 for the home team. Moments later, De Rossi deflected Toni’s shot inside the 6 yard box for a 2-0 lead. Partizan was disheartened by the goal. With halftime approaching, Juventus were up 2-0, and the game was just about over.

Halftime:

Juventus 2 (Toni 33’ De Rossi 35’) Partizan 0

Partizan came out flat in the second half, and Juventus looked to take full advantage. Toni was driving in for another goal, but it was Carlos Tevez who ended up with the credit, as he buried a rebound to make it 3-0. The floodgates were then open for business, as Andrea Pirlo scored not 1, not 2 but 3 straight long range efforts for his first career hat trick, and a 6-0 lead. Tevez then added a late goal for his second, and a Juventus 7-0 victory on home soil. All in all, a great game played by the Juventus squad.

Final Score:

Juventus 7 (Toni 33’ De Rossi 35, Tevez 56’ 78’ Pirlo 58’ 61’ 62’) Partizan 0

December 8th 2005 ~ Injury Update.

My morning started with some disappointing news. Alessandro Nesta pulled a muscle in the weight room, and will miss 2 weeks of action. He could have been able to go in the next match, but I didn’t want to risk further injury for the Italian international. An update on the injuries of the squad have Zambrotta out for about a month with the torn hamstring, Daponte out for 3 weeks with the broken arm, and Jamie Del Zotto another 4 months until he’s ready to play again with the broken ankle.

December 10th 2005 ~ Serie A Dominance

This afternoon’s contest pitted us against Messina in Sicily. With all the problems of the Mafia down south, it was suggested to me that I be careful down there, and maybe take a bodyguard or two. I decided against it, as I faced the many nights of the shootings in Toronto and have come away unscathed. However, I won’t be staying on the island very long, mainly because I had a meeting with a potential transfer target’s agent to discuss a contract and some bonuses. But right now I was focused on Messina, a side who despite their lack of superstar player, are still a squad that shouldn’t be taken lightly.

Serie A

Juventus vs. Messina

San Filippo, Messina

Starting XI:

GK – De Sanctis

DC – Cioffi

DC – Barzagli

WBR – Pinzi

WBL – Chiellini

MC – Pirlo

MC – De Rossi

AMC – Cassano

FC – Baggio

FC – Toni

FC – Del Piero ©

Subs: Buffon, Cannavaro, Grosso, Nedved, Kallstrom, Tevez, Gilardino.

A slow game, until Roberto Baggio scored probably the goal of the year, after a great run, and curling shot from an extremely tight angle, a good 30 yards away to make it a 1-0 game. Messina came back immediately with a rather weak looking goal. Turns out De Sanctis was injured on the play, appearing to have tweaked his left knee while rushing out for the ball. He signaled he was still ok and I decided to leave him in for the time being. Baggio then scored another marvelous goal, almost a carbon copy of the goal he scored earlier in the match, 25 yards out, tight angle and a marvelous curling ball on the far post for a 2-1 lead. At the break, I took a look at Morgan, and decided his afternoon was done, and let GiGi get warmed up for action.

Halftime:

Juventus 2 (Baggio 6’ 24’) Messina 1

The second half saw GiGi Buffon enter the game, and looked confident. Fortunately if he was in any fear of not playing well, Juventus had set up their brick wall in front of the half line, and the forwards decoded to add some more support to the scorline. Antonio Cassano drives in a low shot to beat the Messina goalie to give Juventus a 3-1 lead. Luca Toni added to his totals, his 26th of the season off a header from Cassano’s cross gives Juventus a 4-1 lead. Juventus walked away with the 3 points, and maintain their 7 point lead in the Serie A.

Final Score:

Juventus 4 (Baggio 6’ 24’ Cassano 55’ Toni 66’) Messina 1

MoM: Roberto Baggio

We left Messina hours after the game, and I had the meeting scheduled with a few agents the next day. We also had Catania in the second leg of the Coppa Italia.

December 12th 2005 ~ Qualification.

Coppa Italia

Juventus vs. Catania

Angelo Massimino, Catania

Starting XI:

GK – Carbonara ©

DC – Cioffi

DC – Barzagli

WBR – Pinzi

WBL – Grosso

MC – Kallstrom

MC – Lazzari

AMC – D’Agostino

FC – Cassano

FC – Gilardino

FC – Tevez

Subs: Buffon, Cannavaro Chiellini, Pirlo, Nedved, Del Piero, Toni

In an extremely slow contest, Alberto Gilardino’s goal in the 7th minute was the difference in a 1-0 victory, and draw Udinese in the next round of the Coppa Italia.

December 16th 2005 ~ The Draw

I woke up early, in order to be present at UEFA’s HQ for the Champions League Draw. I took a look at the teams through to the next round, and was somewhat surprised at the teams in the next round. Our team was drawn, and we played Ajax in the next round. That was the match of the draw, with Inter/Barcelona a very close second. When asked about the draw, I commented it could’ve been easier, but then again, it could’ve been a lot tougher. Ajax are a good team, but aren’t the team they used to be. It was definitely a winnable draw, and the new signings in January will help our causes for proper healing time between games.

December 18th 2005 ~ Tough Test

Today began our first of 3 games in 7 days. Today’s contest sees us remain in Sicily, this time taking on the region’s capital city Palermo. Despite their success over the last two season, winning the Serie B 2 years ago, and their UEFA Cup place for this season was all for not, as their star player Luca Toni was moved to Fiorentina, only to be moved to Juventus. Without their star striker, Palermo has slipped in the Serie A standings, down to 13th place prior to today’s fixture. My meetings with various player agents (including two involved in today’s fixture) has not come to any conclusions, and Assistant Manager Giuseppe Grossi has taken control of today’s fixture.

Serie A

Juventus vs. Palermo

Renzo Barbera, La Favorita, Palermo

Final Score:

Juventus 4 (Luca Toni 2, Roberto Baggio, Alessandro Del Piero) Palermo 2

December 21st 2005 ~ Negotiations.

These agents I swear are just in it for the money they receive. They figure that the more money I dish out, the bigger their cut. So I’m playing hardball. I lowballed two player’s offers, but gave them an appearance and goal scoring bonus fee, just to screw over the agent. However, all this stress on making the deal has not allowed me to join the team in their southern trip; however I will be behind the bench for our final game of the 2005 calendar year against Reggina. Oh man would a few of my friends be upset if I hammered their hometown team, but they’re not in my position. The Lecce game has Giuseppe Grossi in charge for the second straight game. I had full confidence in my assistant manager’s ability. Let’s hope the team scores more goals this time around against one of the worst defensive teams in Italy right now.

Serie A

Juventus vs. Lecce

Via Del Mare, Lecce

In a game that was more tightly contested than people would have believed prior to the contest, Juventus scrapped through as 4-2 winners this afternoon.

Final Score

Juventus 4 (Del Piero Toni 2 Baggio) Lecce 2

MoM: Luca Toni.

December 23rd 2005 ~ The Break

I had finally finished dealing with the agents and returned back to the Juventus bench for our final game of 2005 against Reggina. It would have made more sense for us to play them in Calabria, considering I was down there for almost a month, but that’s how they wish to schedule the games in Italy. Let’s hope for a good victory today, and the all important Serie A Winter Title.

Serie A

Juventus vs. Reggina

Stadio Delle Alpi, Turin

Starting XI:

GK – Buffon

DC – Nesta

DC – Cannavaro

WBR – Chiellini

WBL – Grosso

MC – Pirlo

MC – Nedved

AMC – Del Piero ©

FC – Cassano

FC – Toni

FC – Baggio

Subs: Carbonara, Barzagli, Pinzi, De Rossi, Kallstrom, Tevez, Gilardino

With a reasonably strong team fielded for this game, Juventus looked tired and uninterested. However, Antonio Cassano decided to put on a show for his potential Bosman move in January. He took a ball from Del Piero, walked in alone and buried it for a 1-0 lead. Reggina began to pile on pressure, but Juve’s defense was up to the task. They held the defensive wall well, but Reggina kept pressing. The half ended with Reggina’s best chance, and half volley that Buffon did well to turn over the bar.

Halftime

Juventus 1 (Cassano 15’) Reggina 0

The second half saw Antonio Cassano steal the show. A truly memorable solo run into Reggina’s half saw the 23 year old lob the goalie for hi second of the contest. Reggina then conceded defeat, and laid off their attacking football, and opted to not get blown out, and maybe sneak in a goal off the counter. However, that was thwarted when Reggina’s goalie attempted to clear the ball, only to deflect off Cassano, and fall right to a wide open Toni, who did 3 pushups, a sit up and crab walked to the goal to score his 30th goal of the year. The game ended with Juventus winning the unofficial Serie A winter title, and a stranglehold of an 11 point lead in the Serie A as we near the halfway mark of the season.

Final Score

Juventus 3 (Cassano 15’ 47’ Toni 77’) Reggina 0

MoM: Antonio Cassano

January 5th 2005 ~ New Players In, Some Players Out

I know the transfer window opened January 1st, but after a superb New Year’s Party courtesy of the Agnelli family, I had a hangover the size of the Leaning Tower. I had finally recovered enough to hear the news my transfers had come in, and some players I wanted back from loan, since they were not playing had arrived. Firstly, the returnees.

ST Arturo Lupoli – Arturo wasn’t getting the playing time I wanted him to get in Serie C1, so I called him back, and is prepared to send him elsewhere in order for him to get some meaningful game experience.

ST Gianpaolo Pazzini – The un oft used striker has returned to Juve, after publicly criticizing Monaco’s use (or lack their of) of him. I assured him he’d be the number 5 choice striker, and since I usually play with 3 up top, he has a better chance of getting some playing time.

Well, those two have returned, and now, here are my many January signings. Most are youth players who will be loaned out in order to get to play.

Rafaele Schiavi – DC – Lecce The 19 year old defender is going to be loaned out, so he can play in more competitive matches.

Angelo Palombo – DM – Sampdoria This DM was the shut down guy for Sampdoria this season. Will most likely take over next season for the aging Pavel Nedved, as the shut down guy to compliment Pirlo’s attacking mentality.

Alessandro Corvesi – MC – Lazio The 18 year old will be a very good playmaker from the centre of the park. Loan candidate to play in some matches.

Massimo Bonnani – AMLC – Palermo – He is another highly touted youngster, and will see action down the road at the end of the season. A great playmaker, he and Montolivo will do much creative damage one day.

Francesco Flachi – FC – Sampdoria – The great Flachi has never earned much international accolades as he should have. Although 31, he can still contribute, and will line up on the second XI for now.

Giovanni Torre – ST – Portsmouth – The former Napoli youngster is extremely happy to return home, as he felt England wasn’t his cup of tea. Will be either loaned out, or sent down to the Primavera League.

Alessandro Minotti – ST – Palermo Another Palermo transfer, Minotti is looking as if he’ll be a very good playmaking forward who’ll finish off some of his own moves if none are open.

Graziano Pelle – ST – Lecce The 20 year old has a bright future ahead of him, but for now will see his playing time in a lower league, since he’s not ready to step up to the big time yet.

Denny Rossi – ST – Fiorentina Rossi is the perfect compliment for my nephew. He’s the tiny quick man who’ll get the ball through for my 6’4 nephew once he gets to the Serie A, which won’t be for at least another 3 years.

With the new faces arriving, Manuele Blasi has left Juventus to Stuggart for $7 million. Also, in a shocking announcement, Antonio Cassano turns down a 3 year $18 million contract from Juventus to join Milan, for an astonishing 2 year $4 million. Ancelotti will definitely be hearing from me, and turns out they come to play us Sunday in what could be the deciding game of the Serie A.

January 8th 2005 ~ The Championship Derby.

The two most successful Serie A clubs are set to square off this afternoon. A Juventus victory will open up a commanding 14 point lead, and essentially give Juventus the Serie A title. A tie or loss will keep Milan in it, but just barely. With Cassano’s potential move to Milan, and now unhappy, I decided to send him back home to Bari. He chose to leave after today’s contest, and would be watching from the stands. I told him that was fine, and Gianpaolo Pazzini took his place in the starting XI. I just hope the lack of playing time in Monaco didn’t give him any playing rust. Let’s hope for a good victory against out most hated rivals.

Serie A

Juventus vs. Milan

Stadio Delle Alpi, Turin

Starting XI:

GK – Buffon

DC – Cannavaro

DC – Nesta

WBR – Chiellini

WBL – Grosso

MC – Nedved

MC – Pirlo

AMC – Del Piero ©

FC – Pazzini

FC – Toni

FC – Baggio

Subs: De Sanctis, Barzagli, Pinzi, Kallstrom, De Rossi, Tevez, Gilardino

The game started with Juventus running right at Milan. Dida did well to save, and to my surprise hung onto the ball after every attempt on goal we made. We didn’t give Milan a second to even breathe. However, we were unable to finish. Del Piero looked off stride, and Toni wasn’t Toni, and proved so, by missing to clear cut chances to open the scoring, missing both chances from less than 6 yards out. But, Juve were the better team, and in the 40th minute, Gianpaolo Pazzini rose above Jaap Stam, and headed home his first goal in a Juve uniform for a 1-0 lead. The half ended with Buffon getting a finger tip to a Kaka shot to deflect it off the goalpost and wide. Juventus were dominant, and didn’t look like they can be stopped by anyone.

Half Time:

Juventus 1 (Pazzini 40’) Milan 0

The second half saw a former Milan player put the final dagger in Milan’s chances at the Serie A title. Andrea Pirlo drives home a long range effort at 47’ to make the defending champs open a 2-0 lead. Gianpaolo Pazzini added an insurance goal to cap off a memorable debut for the Turin giants with a glorious diving header to make it 3-0, and finish off Milan’s chances of catching us. It was a brilliant game played by all 11 players on the field, and the team and board will thoroughly enjoy today’s victory.

Final Score:

Juventus 3 (Pazzini 40’ 74’ Pirlo 47’) Milan 0

MoM: Gianpaolo Pazzini.

January 12th 2005

We had traveled to Rome for the match against Roma. Prior to this afternoon’s contest, I informed the team this was another important contest, as Roma were slowly climbing the standing, riding a 10 match unbeaten run, and we will be the ones to end it. With that, we took the field, and prepared to come out victorious once again.

Serie A

Juventus vs. Roma

Stadio Olimpico, Rome

Starting XI:

GK – Buffon

DC – Cannavaro

DC – Nesta

WBR – Chiellini

WBL – Grosso

MC – De Rossi

MC – Kallstrom

AMC – Del Piero ©

FC – Flachi

FC – Toni

FC – Pazzini

Subs: Carbonara, Barzagli, Pinzi, Pirlo, Nedved, Tevez, Gilardino

The game started with an early penalty shot. Del Piero steps up, and rings one off the post. The follow-up saw Del Piero get hacked down from behind for another spot kick. Del Piero looks shaky after the first miss, and puts it right at the goalie. He immediately kicked the ground after the effort. However, Juve win the ball back and Francesco Flachi scores on his debut with a low shot to the left of the keeper for a 1-0 lead. 4 minutes later, Flachi does it again, with almost a carbon copy of the goal he scored, a low drive for a 2-0 lead. The Juventus fell apart. Cannavaro takes down Totti, who embellished the fall a bit, and got an automatic red card. Totti made no mistake, and scored from the spot and a 2-1 lead. Roma came back with a play that Buffon should’ve had. But don’t count Juve out yet, as Del Piero is hacked down in the box again, and steps up to the spot. Surely he couldn’t miss for a 3rd time, and didn’t, scoring from the spot for a 3-2 lead at the half.

Halftime:

Juventus 3 (Flachi 7’ 11’ Del Piero (pk 44’) Roma 2

The second half saw more bad news for Juve, as Nesta went down with a rib injury, after falling hard from a Totti tackle. Roma drew level again with another Buffon mistake, but Flachi played a perfect ball for Toni who scored for a 4-3 lead. This was a shootout, as Roma once again drew level at 4. Flachi won the game for Juve with a late copy of his two earlier goals for a 5-4 win, and MOM honours.

Final Score:

Juventus 5 (Flachi 7’ 11’ 88’) Del Piero (pk 44’) Toni 56’ Roma 4

MoM: Francesco Flachi

I wasn’t too pleased with the squad after the contest, and let them know via a stern talk in the locker-room. I singled out some stupid mistakes, and even went as far as telling my captain he almost cost us the game. Del Piero stood up and took the blame for his two missed chances earlier. I then told them I was pleased with how they recovered to being down to essentially 9 men, after Nesta and Cannavaro went out and of course Flachi’s excellent effort. We parted for the match against Ascoli in Tuscany and hopefully a more steadied effort by all players on the pitch will occur that day.

January 15th 2006 ~ The Second Half

With the first half of the Serie A over, round two begins with the teams visiting the other stadium in the second leg of the Serie A season. We met Ascoli, whom we had defeated them handily 7-0 at Delle Alpi. We play on their turf this time, and for some reason I don’t think it will be as easy. With Fabio Cannavaro suspended, Alessandro Nesta injured but able to play and Antonio Cassano having returned from his absence, I’m looking to out score Ascoli this game. Shouldn’t be that hard, but with football, you never know for sure.

Serie A

Juventus vs. Ascoli

Cino E Lillo Del Duca, Ascoli

Starting XI:

GK – Buffon

DC – Cioffi

DC – Barzagli

WBR – Pinzi

WBL – Chiellini

MC – Lazzari

MC – Kallstrom

AMC – Del Piero ©

FC – Baggio

FC – Toni

FC – Antonio Cassano

Subs: De Sanctis, Nesta, Grosso, Pirlo, Corvini, Tevez, Gilardino

Juventus seem determined to run all over Ascoli in the opening minutes. Roberto Baggio skins a defender and drives a low shot to the bottom left corner to give the away team a 1-0 lead 7 minutes in. 3 minutes later, Ascoli botch the corner kick, and Del Piero sends a long ball over the top to Baggio, who lobs the keeper from 20 yards away for a 2-0 lead. Ascoli then turned on the attack, and tried to fight back, but Buffon stood his ground. The 31’ saw Baggio unselfishly pass the ball to Luca Toni who smashes a shot from 10 yards away into the goal, and a 3-0 lead. The half ended at 3-0, and Juve look unstoppable.

Halftime:

Juventus 3 (Baggio 7’ 10’ Toni 31’) Ascoli 0

The second half saw very little in terms of action. The only bright spot was Antonio Cassano’s goal, which wasn’t that impressive, as he put in a 3rd chance rebound for the final nail in the coffin, and a 4-0 victory.

Final Score:

Juventus 4 (Baggio 7’ 10’ Toni 31’ Cassano 59’) Ascoli 0

MoM: Roberto Baggio.

January 17th 2006 ~ Update

Here’s the current table as of today, January 17th 2006

1) Juventus 58 points 83 goals for 17 against

2) Sampdoria 42 points

3) Milan 40 points

4) Inter 39 points

5) Palermo 38 points

6) Livorno 36 points

7) Fiorentina 33 points

8) Roma 33 points

9) Udinese 30 points

10) Messina 26 points

11) Parma 22 points

12) Lazio 21 points

13) Reggina 21 points

14) Ascoli 20 points

15) Cagliari 18 points

16) Chievo 17 points

17) Siena 15 points

18) Lecce 14 points

19) Treviso 12 points

20) Empoli 11 points

Goal Scoring Leaders (Serie A Only)

1 Luca Toni 26 goals

2 Francesco Flachi 17 goals

3 Cristiano Lucarelli 17 goals

4 Alessandro Del Piero 16 goals

5) Riccardo Zampagna 16 goals

Not a bad first half, although I’m concerned with out goals conceded record. I’m defiantly going to have to tighten up our defense. But I’m destroying the opposition, and en route for a 29th Scudetto. Chievo is next up, and should prove to be a relatively easy game.

January 18th 2006 ~ Miss Italia

I had arrived at the office. There were several messages awaiting me on my desk. Namely, there were three moves completed. Gianluca Pessotto has left Juventus for Rimini for $230,000. In a statement, I wished him the best of luck on the final legs of his career, and told him a spot on the Juve bench was open for him should he decide to become a coach. Alessandro Corversi has moved to Sampdoria on loan, and Graziano Pelle has also moved on loan, to Livorno. Also, a message from the lovely Lisa Sangezzi, reminding me the Miss Italia Competition was this weekend, and my ticket would be available for pickup at the box office prior to the annual Roma competition. I could hardly wait. However, I was snapped back to the present, and was getting our final preparations for our Serie A match against Chievo. The boys were ready for a good contest, and a split between regular and second XI took part in today’s fixture.

Serie A

Juventus vs. Chievo

Stadio Delle Alpi, Turin

Starting XI:

GK – Buffon

DC – Cannavaro

DC – Nesta

WBR – Pinzi

WBL – Chiellini

MC – Kallstrom

MC – Lazzari

AMC – Del Piero ©

FC – Tevez

FC – Toni

FC – Pazzini

Subs: De Sanctis, Cioffi, Grosso, Palombo, Nedved, Cassano, Baggio

The first half was one to forget. Chievo set up a wall in front of the goal, and Juventus were unable to get a single shot on target. Chievo didn’t come out to attack, and looked to play to not lose as opposed to play to win. Juventus were dominating, but couldn’t translate the on field dominance onto the score line. The half ended 0-0 and Chievo were looking to shock the 28 time champions.

Half Time:

Juventus 0 Chievo 0

The second half saw a similar first half, until the 48’ minute when a Carlos Tevez cross was attempted to be headed behind, but was put into Chievo’s own net, for a 1-0 Juventus lead. This caused Chievo to collapse, and the floodgates opened suite. Alessandro Del Piero scored on a 20 yard free kick for a 2-0 lead. Luca Toni made it 3-0 and a victory with a header off a corner kick, which caught the Chievo keeper flat footed. Roberto Baggio came in as a sub and added another goal to the tally, for a 4-0 lead. Alessandro Del Piero scored on another free kick for a 5-0 lead, and frankly, it could’ve been a larger margin of victory, but we walked away the happy side.

Final Score:

Juventus 5 (Schena (o.g. 48’) Del Piero 60’ 82’ Toni 71’ Baggio 76’) Chievo 0

MoM: Alessandro Del Piero.

January 20th 2006 ~ Miss Italia

The day began with a Juventus press conference. I made the announcement that Alessandro Del Piero, our captain has ended all speculation with a summer transfer by signing a contract with Juventus until 2011, signaling that he intends to end his career with the club he was signed by in the early 90s. A relatively modest $8.75 million a season, plus goal and assist bonuses was seen as “too good to turn down†by the skipper, and is more than happy to end his career at Delle Alpi. After the announcement, I was off to Rome for the Miss Italia competition. I sat in the theatre, and took in the atmosphere of the event. I’ve seen the competition on TV, but watching it live before your eyes is a whole other game of football. I was extremely excited to see Lisa named to the final three, and her talent was a little game of juggling with a Juventus football, in a Juventus jersey with her name and the number 06 on the back. She did fairly well, a modest 35 juggles before she ended it with a neck freeze a la Ronaldinho, and headed the ball into the crowd, to a large applause. She smiled, blew a kiss at her father and walked off the stage.

At the intermission, I met up with her father and some of my player’s in attendance, including Gianluigi Buffon, Fabio Cannavaro and Antonio Cassano who were celebrity judges, and had the honour of meeting Italian PM Silvio Berlusconi, who was also in attendance. We reconvened to our seats, and the winner would be soon declared. I was extremely nervous for Lisa, and when her name came out as the winner, I immediately jumped to my feet applauding. She cried, and blew kisses to the crowd. She received her tiara and bouquet of roses, and was presented with the crown as Miss Italia 2006. She waved, cried some more and left the stage. I meet up with her backstage and kissed her, congratulating her on her impressive victory. She thanked me, and invited me to the after party. I didn’t hesitate, despite a training session early tomorrow morning, decided to go to the party along with some of my players. I called the office and let my Assistant Manager Giuseppe Grossi know Cannavaro, Buffon and Cassano are excused from training tomorrow, and told him I’d explain later. With that, we went forth for a night of celebration, champagne and the first of many victory parties I would be a headline guest at.

January 22nd 2006 ~ Hello Again

After a late party night and a whole day to recover, I’m back at the office, preparing for our next contest, an away match later that night against Sampdoria, who currently occupy 2nd place in Serie A 16 points behind us. A win today could seal the title for us, as a near 20 point gap is unheard of in any of the big leagues at the halfway mark, and I could then start looking into playing the young guys with the big team just playing in Champion’s League or the big derbies. Either way, it will be an interesting matchup, as this time around the guy who nearly beat us single-handedly, Francesco Flachi is once again playing for the away side, and will hear many boos from the home crowd after his switch to Juventus in the New Year. He will play, and I’m hoping he scores another hat-trick, and we overcome this Sampdoria squad who has shown a lot of potential. Granted their best defender is a member of my team (Leandro Rinaudo) and he will look to make a good impression on me, and could sneak his way into the Juventus set up next season, and possibly the national team as well. I had better leave for the contest, as they won’t wait patiently for me. It will be me, Buffon Cannavaro and Cassano taking the train to Genoa, as the team had left yesterday morning, and we had only returned home from the late night Miss Italia bash around when they had left. The 4 of us spoke of the great time we had, but Cassano kind of shied away from the conversation, seeing he was joining Milan in July.

We arrived at Luigi Ferraris in Genoa, and the team was pumped for this afternoon’s contest. I told them a victory today would all but wrap up the title, and it was something I was looking forward too. Let’s hope for a good match today.

Serie A

Juventus vs. Sampdoria

Luigi Ferraris, Genoa

Staring XI:

GK – Buffon

DC – Cannavaro

DC – Nesta

WBR – Grosso

WBL – Chiellini

MC – Pirlo

MC – Nedved

AMC – Del Piero ©

FC – Flachi

FC – Toni

FC – Cassano

Subs: Carbonara, Cioffi, Pinzi, De Rossi, Palombo, Baggio, Gilardino

Juventus came out flying to start the game. With many chances to open the scoring, the Juventus strikers were looking to end the game early. At 21’ Antonio Cassano, who despite taking a knock in the opening minutes of the game was able to score on a beautiful passing play, with all 11 players getting a touch and Cassano finishing it off for his 10th goal of the season. After many chances, Francesco Flachi burned his former club with a turn and shoot from 20 yards away for a 2-0 lead. The halftime whistle blew, and Cassano looked in pain as he was helped off the field by a few players.

Halftime:

Juventus 2 (Cassano 21’ Flachi 42’) Sampdoria 0

The second half saw Gilardino replace Cassano, and Sampdoria wanted to prove their merit. Alessandro Nesta scored his first goal for Juventus, just a shame it was an own goal, when the cross aimed for a header went off him and caught Buffon going the wrong way to make things interesting. Flachi ended the comeback cold when he scored on a long range effort to make it 3-1. The rest of the game saw Sampdoria try to equalize, and Juventus were content shutting them down. At the end of the day, a 3-1 victory, and a 19 point lead in the Serie A.

Final Score:

Juventus 3 (Cassano 21’ Flachi 42’ 49’) Sampdoria 1

MoM: Giorgio Chiellini

January 25th 2006 ~ Coppa Italia.

The day began with 3 players leaving Juventus for loan spells, due to the fact they’d get no playing time this season. Denny Rossi has moved to Mantova for the rest of the year, GK Alan Zattin leaves for Pisa and Angelo Palombo joins Lazio for the season. With those players gone, it was time to send the second and third team to win us the match. Worse comes to worse, we lose away from home, and I just send out the first team and squash them back at Delle Alpi.

Coppa Italia

Juventus. Vs. Udinese

Stadio Friuli, Udine

Starting XI:

GK – De Sanctis ©

DC – Barzagli

DC – Cioffi

WBR – Pinzi

WBL – Grosso

MC – De Rossi

MC – Lazzari

AMC – D’Agostino

FC – Pazzini

FC – Gilardino

FC – Torre

Subs: Carbonara, Nesta, Chiellini, Pirlo, Nedved, Del Piero, Toni

Both teams were flat, mainly because the Italian Cup isn’t as important as the Serie which I have wrapped up, or the Champion’s League. However, the Juventus squad wanted to prove they were able to run with the big boys too. Alberto Gilardino opened the scoring after 7’ with a low shot to the keeper’s left for a 1-0 lead. Udinese piled on the pressure, but De Sanctis stood tall, and played very well. At the break, a 1-0 lead, which to be perfectly honest wouldn’t have been possible without De Sanctis’ brilliant first half.

Halftime:

Juventus 1(Gilardino 7’) Udinese 0

The second half saw more Udinese pressure, but once again De Sanctis stood tall, making great save after great save, single handedly keeping Juventus ahead. Udinese forgot about defending during their attack burst, and Juventus took full advantage, securing a 3 man breakaway after a quick clearance from De Sanctis saw Gilardino, Pazzini and Torre all alone in Udinese’s half, and Pazzini puts the ball into the open net to essentially seal the game. Udinese claw one back, as De Sanctis was unable to record the clean sheet, with Udinese finally being able to crack the wall and make the game interesting. However, Gilardino scored his second of the contest and the end of the game, with Juventus win 3-1, and one step closer to the Italian Cup, with the second leg at home, and a sealed qualification for the semi finals.

Final Score:

Juventus 3 (Gilardino 7’ 81’ Pazzini 52’) Udinese 1

MoM: Gianpaolo Pazzini

With the first leg of qualification out of the way, my uncle, after the match had informed me Daniele De Rossi was playing through a sore hamstring. He advised we give him a painkiller injection since we may need him in our next contest. I decided against it, and let him sit and rest. He begged me to reconsider, but I didn’t give in. I couldn’t. I don’t want him to aggravate the injury.

January 29th 2005 ~ One Step Closer

I was tuning into the local morning news, and was extremely surprised when I heard that a few “experts†don’t see Juventus walking away with any trophies this season. Considering I had an almost insurmountable 19 point lead in Serie A, and with that much breathing room, can afford a slip up or two in order to solely focus on the Champion’s League, I decided to let my performance on the pitch dictate my response. My uncle came over and told me not to worry about it. I told him that it didn’t, and was extremely tempted to call in the show and ask them how many Serie A titles they had won. But once again, I calmed down enough to not do anything stupid, and was just focused on this afternoon’s match against the surprising Livorno, who are currently sitting in the 6th position in the Serie A standings. Many had figured they would be relegation candidates, mid table the most but they’re fighting bravely for a European birth. Hopefully their high riding won’t result in an upset, and I can continue my 13 game winning streak, and take one giant step closer to winning the Serie A title. Prior to today’s contest, Gianluca Zambrotta has recovered form injury, and will play the last few minutes of today’s fixture.

Serie A

Juventus vs. Livorno

Stadio Delle Alpi, Turin

GK – Buffon

DC – Cannavaro

DC – Nesta

WBR – Grosso

WBL – Chiellini

MC – Nedved

MC – Pirlo

AMC – Del Piero ©

FC – Baggio

FC – Toni

FC – Cassano

Subs: Carbonara, Cioffi, Zambrotta, Kallstrom, Tevez, Gilardino, Pazzini.

Juventus stormed out of the gate, with a full strength squad and Livorno were in deep trouble. Alessandro Del Piero hit home a half volley in the crowded area 4’ into the match for an early 1-0 lead. Luca Toni attempted many chances to make the game seem out of reach, but was unable to do so. The constant double team was too much for the big man, and Juve were unable to capitalize. That was until the 41’ Luca broke away from both defenders, and headed home his 35th goal of the season, 28th in Serie A for a 2-0 Juve lead at the break.

Halftime:

Juventus 2 (Del Piero 4’ Toni 42’) Livorno 0

The second halves had Juventus play a ball moving game, but were unable to score with the big guys. However, Pavel Nedved scored with a nice long range effort that had even the opposing team admiring Nedved’s 5th goal of the season. Giorgio Chiellini got a late goal to make the game a 4-0 Juventus victory, and a statement to the rest of the Serie A that Juve were taking the table.

Final Score:

Juventus 4 (Del Piero 4’ Toni 42’ Nedved 75’ Chiellini 85’) Livorno 0

February 1st 2006 ~ A New Month….But Same Old Results.

The day started off with the close of the transfer window. There were couple of players I was hoping to get rid of, but the geniuses the teams were overspent their budgets and couldn’t get the players I wanted out, so they’re stuck not playing. However, I was a little happier after seeing two of my players were nominated for the goal of the month. Both Pavel Nedved and Alessandro Del Piero were nominated for their goals over the past month, and the board was very happy with last month’s profit. Also, Jamie Del Zotto has returned from his ankle injury and is once again ready to go. The second leg of the Italian Cup bout with Udinese is this afternoon, and with a second XI playing at home, I’m expecting a blowout.

Coppa Italia

Juventus vs. Udinese

Stadio Delle Alpi, Turin

Starting XI:

GK – Carbonara

DC – Barzagli

DC – Cioffi

WBR – Chiellini

WBL – Pinzi

MC – De Rossi

MC – Kallstrom ©

AMC – Tevez

FC – Gilardino

FC – Baggio

FC – Pazzini

Subs: De Sanctis, Nesta, Zambrotta, D’Agostino, Del Piero, Lazzari, Torre

The opening goal of the game came from Roberto Baggio on a goal mouth scramble, and he scored a rather weak effort for a 1-0 lead. Udinese clawed back immediately with a rather weak defensive effort from De Rossi, and Udinese draw level at one, with Juve still holding a 2 goal aggregate. Baggio restores the 3 goal aggregate on a header from Pinzi’s cross to make it 2-1. That would be the score at the break, and it looks as if Juve is through to the next round of the Coppa Italia.

Halftime:

Juventus 2 (Baggio 7’ 18’) Udinese 1

The second half saw Udinese come out with an all out attack, and paid dearly. Kim Kallstrom scored on a penalty kick to seal the game. Udinese didn’t concede defeat just yet, and Juventus still rushed to attack. Gianpaolo Pazzini puts a low shot past the keeper for a 4-1 lead. Carlos Tevez made it 5-1 with an extremely tight angled lob over the keeper, and Kim Kallstrom finished off the scoring with a thunderous free kick 23 yards away for a 6-1 victory, and at 9-1 aggregate. Juventus were moving on the semi finals, and I couldn’t be happier.

Final Score:

Juventus 6 (Baggio 7’ 18’ Kallstrom 48’ 88’ Pazzini 54’ Tevez 84’) Udinese 1

MoM: Gianpaolo Pazzini

February 5th 2006 ~ Another Trip

We had drawn Inter in the semi-finals of the Coppa Italia; we had an international break upon us, and Empoli away in the Serie A. It was coming down to the wire. The team was now in a position to seal the league in a few games time, playing some of the higher placed opponents after today’s fixture, I was looking for a good victory to take us into the break.

Serie A

Juventus vs. Empoli

Carlo Castellanni, Empoli

Starting XI:

GK – Buffon

DC – Cannavaro

DC – Nesta

WBR – Grosso

WBL – Chiellini

MC – Pirlo

MC – Nedved

AMC – Del Piero ©

FC – Flachi

FC – Toni

FC – Cassano

Subs: Carbonara, Cioffi, Zambrotta, De Rossi, Lazzari, Tevez, Pazzini

Juventus slowly came out of the gate, and almost paid for it. Cassano with a mental lapse gave up the ball, and Empoli were quick to counter, but a nice save by Buffon kept the game even at 0-0. Luca Toni then picked up the ball, and went into the area, only to be fouled from behind by the Empoli defender for a penalty kick. Del Piero coolly puts it past the keeper for a 1-0 lead. GiGi Buffon, with an uncharacteristic mistake decides to come out of his net and try a first time header up field. Too bad a defender was between his target and himself, and lobs one 45 yards away to draw level. The rest of the half saw nothing spectacular, except steam coming out of my ears.

Halftime:

Juventus 1 (Del Piero (pk 13’)) Empoli 1

I wasn’t too pleased at the half and let the team know about it. They came out quickly to try to force one in early, and the Empoli defender actually did the work for us, as an attempted volley clearance went into his own net for a 2-1 lead. Del Piero ended any chance of a comeback with a trademark free kick goal to seal the game, and another 3 points.

Final Score:

Juventus 3 (Del Piero (pk 13’) 67’) Mikeal Dorsin (og 49’) Empoli 1

February 7th 2006 ~ Here I go again.

I had arrived in Sicily yesterday to watch my nephew in yet another International match. This time they were playing the Greek U21 squad, and were more than willing to put on a show in what was the final tune up before the U21 World Championship, which Italy looked to defend. They played very well, with my nephew just not playing as himself, but Italy dominated and walked away 3-0 victors this afternoon. I left shortly after to deal with some matters that had arose during my trip, namely a few friends had arrived for the Olympics in Turin.

It was my good friends from high school Domenic, Rob Mike and Mikey. They all had come to see Canada win the Olympic gold again in hockey, and I despite the short notice was able to secure them tickets for the opening game vs. Italy. We had arrived at the arena in Turin to take in the game. We got to the second intermission, and we decided to have a drink before the third. We finally got around to talking about the past, and how things went sour between our group of friends. The guys had wondered for the longest time why I just got up and left the way I did. I told them I had no choice, and that it wasn’t as if anyone had missed me over there, or else they would’ve called, written or sent an email to me. The guys figured them coming over was to say they did, but I pointed out they were only here for the Olympics as opposed here to visit me. I stormed out of the arena, extremely upset but knowing deep down my decision to leave Canada was the right one, and wouldn’t change anything. I’m much happier here in Italy, and the fact no one was here to shoot down my dreams, but have no choice but to watch me succeed and they’re stuck in Canada in the freezing cold, bitter angst and have nothing to show for it. I however am living in Italy, getting paid to coach a professional football team known the world over, and about to win the Serie A, and hopefully if all goes well, Coppa Italia and Champion’s League.

February 12th 2006 ~ Bring It On

After a few days of being alone and trying to calm down from my lashing out a few days earlier, I knew I was in it for me, and me only. I was the only one I was to keep happy, next to the board and fans of course. With Parma this afternoon, I’m not so sure what to expect. They’re capable of beating any team in the Serie A, but at the same time can lose to any team in the world. I figured an all out attack with my defenders sitting back will be the perfect game plan for the struggling Parma squad.

Serie A

Juventus vs. Parma

Ennio Tardini, Parma

Starting XI:

GK – Buffon

DC – Cannavaro

DC – Nesta

WBR – Grosso

WBL – Zambrotta

MC – Nedved

MC – Pirlo

AMC – Del Piero ©

FC – Baggio

FC – Toni

FC – Cassano

Subs: Carbonara, Cioffi, Chiellini, De Rossi, Kallstrom, Tevez, Gilardino

A Relatively easy game that was predicted prior to the contest wasn’t so easy in the opening moments. Parma tried everything they could to get the opening goal, but GiGi Buffon stood tall in the goal to keep the game level at 0-0. Luca Toni was fouled hard in the area, and Del Piero stepped up for the penalty kick. However, the crowd got to him and he put it straight at the Parma keeper, but was unable to hold onto it. After about a good minute of attempts on goal, posts, crossbars and failed clearing attempts, Luca Toni finally scored to make it 1-0. The half ended at 1-0, with Juventus and Parma at even in almost every category, except the one that counts.

Halftime:

Juventus 1 (Toni 15’) Parma 0

The second half saw more Parma pressure, and Juventus holding the fort down superbly. Antonio Cassano is the early favourite for goal of the month, after a bad Parma pass was picked up by the former Bari starlet and a 20 yard lob made the scoreline 2-0. The game ended with Juventus happy just absorbing the pressure by the home team and another 3 points towards the Serie standings.

Final Score

Juventus 2 (Toni 15’ Cassano 58’) Parma 0

MoM: Alessandro Nesta

Thanks Spav. As everyone knows, things off the pitch are usually more exciting than what occurs on the pitch. I hope you like this bit of information, on this rather lengthy update. icon_wink.gif

February 19th 2006 ~ Welcome Home

In what was a well deserved week off, we finally had a home match at Delle Alpi, and it was against rivals Fiorentina. Who would’ve thought by snapping their two strikers in the beginning of the season, and another youngster in January would result in such a fall from grace for the Florentine squad? Well I did. That was my whole plan. But, they had a chance to redeem themselves this afternoon, on national TV and maybe help out the pack, since I’ve opened up a very large lead in the Serie A.

Serie A

Juventus vs. Fiorentina

Stadio Delle Alpi, Turin

Starting XI:

GK – Buffon

DC – Cannavaro

DC – Nesta

WBR – Zambrotta

WBL – Grosso

MC – Pirlo

MC – Nedved

AMC – Del Piero ©

FC – Baggio

FC – Toni

FC – Cassano

Subs: De Sanctis, Cioffi, Chiellini, Kallstrom, Lazzari, Tevez, Pazzini

The game had Fiorentina concede defeat even before the contest. With a second XI squad fielded, they knew they had no match for the mighty Juventus. Alessandro Del Piero would have today’s match to show how good he still is. At 12’ he deposited a thunderous free kick for a 1-0 lead. Moments later, he was fouled in the area and was sent to the spot. Calmly, he slotted it past Frey for a 2-0 lead. Juventus were completely content in holding onto a 2-0 lead at home, and looked to take another 3 points in this contest.

Half Time:

Juventus 2 (Del Piero 21’ (pk 24’)) Fiorentina 0

The second half saw Del Piero complete the hat trick in style with a volley from a Luca Toni cross to make it 3-0, and all but over. Pavel Nedved added a late goal from a long range volley for a 4-0 lead, and the end came with a mini scuffle between the players on the field, but we still pick up the victory, and 3 points.

Final Score:

Juventus 4 (Del Piero 21’ (pk 24’) 54’ Nedved 81’) Fiorentina 0

I left for Amsterdam that night, to prepare for the Champion’s League contest against Ajax. I thought I’d take a look at their training session, which Ajax had opened to the public a few days ago. Danny Blind was a little too overconfident for my liking. I however had arrived that night, and was planning to watch their session tomorrow, and once the team arrived, I’d report to them what I expected to be done, and how to prepare for them.

February 22nd 2006 ~ Knockout

Yesterday I had a chance to watch Ajax train. I won’t lie, they’re a good team, and have a bit of an advantage since the team that will play Ajax has had only a day’s rest before today’s contest. However, I was confident that they would heal up in time, and of course worst case scenario, I would blow them out on the return leg back in Italy. I walked the team through today’s gameplan, which was very simple. Force Ajax to play the ball through the middle, and shut down Maxwell and de Jong. Considering I want a more shutdown action in the middle of the park, Daniele De Rossi will most likely start off today’s contest in the middle, and just shadow Maxwell wherever he goes.

Champion’s League 1st Leg

Juventus vs. Ajax

Amsterdam ArenA

Starting XI:

GK – Buffon

DC – Cannavaro

DC – Nesta

WBR – Grosso

WBL – Chiellini

MC – Kallstrom

MC – De Rossi

AMC – Del Piero ©

FC – Baggio

FC – Toni

FC – Tevez

Subs: De Sanctis, Cioffi, Pinzi, Pirlo, Nedved, Cassano, Gilardino

The opening moments had the away team piling on the pressure. Luca Toni had a glorious chance in the 5’ to open the scoring, but his header just grazed the top of the crossbar. However, he got his goal moments later, after Del Piero split the defenders with a great killer ball that sent Toni in, and he put on a clinic on how to beat the keeper with a great low drive for a 1-0 lead. Juventus made every effort to end the game early, and Luca Toni flicked a glorious ball to a wide open Del Piero, but was unable to reach the ball in time to score into the open net. Ajax came alive after that chance, and former Juventus striker Adrian Mutu who’s on loan at Ajax drew level by beating Buffon with a deflected shot to make it 1-1. Ajax took the lead on a controversial penalty when de Jong was seen as fouled in the area by Grosso. This was not the case, but either way, Ajax went up 2-1 on the spot kick. Carlos Tevez then decided he would be the one to draw level, and picked up the ball in his own half, and played some one twos with his teammates, until he reached the Ajax box, and drilled a first time chance to the keeper’s left to draw level. We scored the 2 goals I was looking for, and knew we would go through, barring some sort of major error by this team. We went into the break drawed at 2 a piece, and I couldn’t be happier.

Halftime:

Juventus 2 (Toni 7’ Tevez 31’) Ajax 2

The second half saw Ajax be the aggressor, and yet another bad call from the referee sent them back to the spot. They scored again, and made it 3-2; however, they’d have to score 2 goals in the 2nd leg for every goal I score at home in order to go through. Juventus were playing to not give up any more goals than they should, and were rewarded by the referee who probably decided that the 2 spot kicks he gave to Ajax were deemed unfair, and gave Juventus a chance to draw level when de Jong handballed in the area. Captain Alex Del Piero made no mistake and tied the game at 3-3. The game ended, with Juventus taking a huge 3 away goal advantage into the home leg, and despite the draw, it was really a victory in Juve’s favour.

Final Score:

Juventus 3 (Toni 7’ Tevez 31’ Del Piero (pk 82’)) Ajax 3

MoM: Fabio Grosso

After the game, I flew home without the team to focus on our next game against Inter. Thankfully after Sunday’s contest, there was another international break, and I was also informed that Juventus were guaranteed a spot in Europe next season, since we can finish no lower than 6th place this season. I was extremely excited with this news, and was ready for a good match Sunday.

February 26th 2006 ~ Rivals

Marcello Lippi had announced his squad for this week’s friendly against Germany. I quickly removed Luca Toni. Due to the fact he was playing in his 4th straight game today, and didn’t want to risk injury or fatigue. Lippi was once again none too pleased, but I reminded him it was only a friendly, and he still had other players to play. He still wasn’t too pleased, but decided to call up Gianpaolo Pazzini to replace Luca Toni. I was focused on this afternoon’s contest with Inter, which surprisingly wasn’t chosen for TV coverage. That being said, this was a must win for Inter, who were already 37 points behind us, a win was desperately needed for them, and important for us, because a win today coupled with a Milan loss could give us the title already. I let the team know this was important, and sent them out there for a big win.

Serie A

Juventus vs. Inter

Stadio Delle Alpi, Turin

Starting XI:

GK – Buffon

DC – Barzagli

DC – Cioffi

WBR – Zambrotta

WBL – Grosso

MC – Kallstrom

MC – De Rossi

AMC – Del Piero ©

FC – Pazzini

FC – Toni

FC – Gilardino

Subs: Carbonara, Nesta, Cannavaro, Pirlo, Nedved, Lazzari, Baggio

With the 9-0 trouncing still fresh in their minds, Inter wanted to prove they are a better team than last time. But they were playing at Delle Alpi, against a goal scoring machine, and we were firing on all cylinders, and despite not the usual unbeatable first team on the pitch, there are still some very good players on the pitch, and Mancini and the rest of the Inter squad would definitely have to be on their toes, and set up a wall in front of their goal to have any chance. They came out with 5 defenders, and no Adriano in sight. This was going to be too easy. Turns out I was in for a bit more of a fight then I expected, mainly because Gianluca Zambrotta wasn’t his usual self. A defensive lapse left Martins wide open, and scored the rebound of his own shot for Inter to take a 1-0 lead. Juventus came back hard, taking every chance they had on goal, but ere thwarted by the net’s 8 ft. high crossbar. However, with Toni double teamed, Del Piero made space for himself, and got a nice pass from Gilardino, while the Inter team decided to leave him open and thought the ball was going to the hitman, Alex thundered home a left footed drive top corner to draw level before the half. The last play before the half time whistle saw Barzagli just narrowly miss the far corner off a header, and half the ground thought the ball had gone in.

Halftime:

Juventus 1 (Del Piero 41’) Inter 1

The second half saw De Rossi come off for Pirlo, and Kallstrom went from playmaker to long ball shooter, and I told him any chance he got inside Inter’s half, take a shot. Toldo was getting older, and one from distance with the wet ground may prove to skip past him. It proved to be the right move, because in the 55’ Kallstrom drilled one from well out that Toldo got to, but Del Piero put in the rebound for a 2-1 lead. The fans went crazy and Del Piero went over to the stands, kissed the badge on his jersey and the fans responded with a huge salute to the club captain. I pumped, and so were the rest of the team. Scary moment in the 65’ minute as Kallstrom was challenged hard by Martins, and wasn’t able to get up. He was carried off the field, to a standing ovation from the home crowd, and Andrea Lazzari came on, with instructions to get back at Inter for that dirty challenge. Inter took advantage without a long ball shooter, and just set up a barricade in front o goal, and at the 90’ mark, were clearly offside, but ref waved play on, and while obstructing the goalkeeper, Martins scored to draw level, despite protests towards the referee. In extra time, Pazzini looked to score the winning goal, but was ruled offside buy the linesman. Pazzini got a yellow card for his arguing with the referee, and I came flying out of the bench area screaming at the top of my lungs at the referee. The game ended 2-2, with Inter getting very lucky this afternoon.

Final Score:

Juventus 2 (Del Piero 41’ 56’) Inter 2

After the match, I verbally bashed the refereeing in this contest, and asked the Italian FA to take a look at Paparesta’s calls during this contest, especially the two offside calls, and the foul on Kallstrom. I protested Inter’s draw, and was visibly upset, and with good reason. Mancini came out saying that he tactically outclassed me, and I responded that the only outclassing he did was with his wallet prior to the game. I told Mancini he wasn’t anywhere in my league, and to go back to managing in the Serie B, because that’s the only place Inter may ever win anything.

Several hours later, as I was preparing to leave for Genoa for the U21 matchup against Germany, the Italian FA announced that an investigation into today’s contest would be started, after reports of Roberto Mancini involved in a match fixing scandal. That brought a smile to my face, and I was off to Genoa.

February 28th 2006 ~ SACKED!

As I left my hotel room early that morning to take in the Azzurrini training this morning, I grabbed that morning’s edition of La Gazzetta Dello Sport, and the headline read Mancini Sacked. I read the story that Inter, even before Mancini’s investigation into the match fixing scandal was terminated immediately from his duties at Inter. I figured the Italian FA would gladly give me the 3 points I deserved, but was informed via the news story all prior standings would stand, and I was furious. As I made my way to the training grounds, my cell phone rang. It was Inter chairman Massimo Moratti, and he had offered me the job as Inter manager. I told him where to go, and I was a Juventino for life. I immediately hung up, and decided to call the chairman Franzo Grande Stevens to let him know. When he answered, he immediately asked me if I had accepted the contract, since the news broke out that I was already offered the job, and had accepted. I told him I hadn’t, and to prove so, wished to start contract talks immediately. He told me he was happy I wasn’t leaving, and would be filing a tampering complaint to the Italian FA, and contract talks would begin shortly. I was extremely upset by the lack of faith by my Chairman, but happy that he would start new contract talks soon. I arrived at Luigi Ferraris moments later, and took in the youth training for that evening’s friendly contest. Soon, my phone rang again, and I was expecting a reporter on the other line. Turns out it was Lisa, who wanted to know if the rumors were true. I flat out denied it again, and she was also very happy. She asked me if I had a spare ticket to today’s contest, and told her I did. She took the next train to Genoa, and would meet me in front of the stadium. When she arrived, I greeted her with a kiss on the cheek, and was blinded by a flash. I t was a reporter, and he bolted to a car and took off. I knew it had to be a paparazzo, and the gears turned inside my head as to what sort of headline would appear in the papers tomorrow. We went inside to take in the game, and just prior to the contest, my phone rang again. The voice on the other end was barely audible, but he repeatedly kept asking me a question I was unable to make out. He laughed and hung up the phone. I tried to trace the phone call, but was unable to. I immediately called Mr. Stevens and told him about today’s encounters, and was instructed to keep a low profile until our match against Lazio on Sunday. I agreed, and watched the game with Ms. Sangezzi. My nephew was on form today, and I don’t why, but he felt he had something to prove to the world today, because he was simply dominating the German U21 side, by scoring a thunderous scissors kick 20 yards away for his first goal. He ended the half with 2 goals, but was hungry for more. He got the hat trick on a penalty kick, and Italy walked away 4-1 winners. I couldn’t have been happier for him, and before I left the stadium, I was asked by the Italian FA to stay for tomorrow’s senior contest. I accepted, and went back to the hotel for a good night’s sleep.

I awoke the next day, and took a look at the paper, and was furious. The headline had a photo of me with Ms. Sangezzi, and the headline read Overconfident Cardelli Ready to Make Switch. It went on to say that Ms. Sangezzi was under Inter’s payroll and was there to tempt me to a move to San Siro. Then a reported phone call had me say I was ready to leave Juventus to join Inter. I was extremely upset, and called up every radio station I could get into contact with, and told them there was no way I was joining another squad. This didn’t make many people happy, including my chairman, who still thinks I’m on the move. I called Inter’s office and told them the next story about me moving to them was going to result in a lawsuit. They claimed to not be responsible, and I swore up a storm. I hung up the phone very angrily and went back to the training grounds to let off a little steam by taking part in some drills with the Italian National Team. While there, I was bombarded by the media, and told them all emphatically that I would never move to Inter ever. I wasn’t Christian Vieri, or any of those second rate players who can’t cut it and have to go to Inter to revive a career that was over. I told them to all leave as I was beginning to get upset with the same questions being repeated over and over again. What is it about the media that don’t get the fact that when I said no to going to Inter, they think I said yes, or was unclear in my no. I let off some steam by taking part in some shooting drills, and was sending them in hard on De Sanctis. Lippi came over to me, and assured me that I would get through this, and told me he was going to give the start of the game to Carbonara. I asked him to reconsider, as Carbonara hadn’t played in a few weeks and thought he would be more susceptible to injury. He waved me off, and told me he was the coach. I told him he was for now, and walked away.

That night, we watch the Azzurri take on Germany, and my worst fear was realized. Carbonara went down with a lower leg injury and was carried off the field. I immediately went to the hospital with him, and was told by the doctors it was strained ankle ligaments, and he’d be out for about 2 months. I flipped. I sent word through the media on how stupid Lippi was for going against my wishes, and informed him his job a coach wasn’t safe for much longer. I immediately packed up and went back to Turin, and had to completely change my gameplan for Sunday’s contest against Lazio.

Archived