Midfield sitting too deep

Can you post a little more info please, such as the formation & tactics you're using and the mentality settings for the midfielders and the strikers.

The info you've given so far doesn't really give enough info so that people can help or offer advice.

You can't. If the opposition attack gets deep enough or takes long enough to get deep, even with mentality 20 forward runs often an AMC will 'collapse' into the box at times. What he does will be solely dependent on the opposition holding midfielder and your settings. If their holding player pushes on to the lurking outside the box area he'll pick him up, if not he'll drop into the box to pick up.

- specific man mark (loose/tight depending on preference) the opposition midfielder who is in the holding role

- drop a striker back using mentality

I think it is fairly logical behaviour for a player positioned an Attacking Midfield position, rather than upfront. As has been said the AMC will when subjected to sustained pressure drop deep and pick up the opponents holding midfielder or MCa/DMC. This to me seems totally logical.

This AMC could always be played as an FCd or an FC with an FCa alongside him. It might not be the perfect solution but then game players looking for perfection are inevitably frustrated.

yes but i want my amc to be a totally attack minded player, i want to tell him when the opposition attacks you cant track back further than this certain line. i dont want him playing as a fc when we have the ball though.

i cant in this game. i cant position my players where i want them to be. in real life managment this is crucial, positioning players.

in this game i cant play a 3 man midfield of 1 dmc and 2 mcs becaus i cant postion my 2 mcs wide enough so they cover both the middle and the wings. this is totally unrealistic because that is basic football managment.

You can't position your players where you want them in real life either, this is Football not Grid Iron. The transition and continuation of play is too great for precision managerial positioning input. It is profoundly down to the players interpretation in real life football.

The differences between an AMC and FCd are subtle and one of the subtleties is exactly the behaviour you are asking for. Though an FCd will mark up a DMC or MCd at set peices or during normal play when set to incredibly low mentality, he will none the less refuse to drop into a midfield or defensive position relative to your teams positioning. It is possible to get an AMC to sit between your midfielders or even sit behind them at certain stages of play, it is impossible to do so with an FCd.

You may be right that an FCd cannot replicate the precise behaviour you desire from an AMC or likewise you cannot achieve the precise behaviour you like from an AMC, but I am sure that somewhere between the two is a close approximation that is both accurate enough in critical stages of behaviour and slightly erroneous enough in other areas to warrent fair satisfaction.

well i actually i coach a mens amateur team here in new york and yes i can get my players, who are amateurs to keep the positions i ask them too. by doing shadow play in practice and me being on top of them the first couple of game my 2 amcs know by now that them dropping all the way back to our 16 yard box is something they're not supposed to do. they know very clearly where thay are supposed to be when we don't have possession and they do it correctly.

i can't achieve this in fm because there is no with/without ball positioning. that is the bread and butter of football management. the most difficult part of managing a real team is actually teaching positioning. where you want a player to be and what area you expect them to cover. in fm i cant even tell my players when set at zonal making what zone they're supposed to mark, i should decide the boundaries of these zones not si games.

If you don't want a player to track back all the way, then you have to put them as a ST. If you then give them a lower mentality than the other strikers, with a free role perhaps, and with forward runs rarely, then they'll play like an AM player.

I used a player like that in a previous formation, and it worked fine.

You can position players where you want them to be, you just have to acknowledge that the position you want them to be in, and the "official position" they hold on the tactics screen won't always be the same.

Archived