• B Team staff functionality broken

Jamaicaman90
    • Public Status: Known Issue Screenshot: Save Game: Spain Sniff Files Uploaded: Save Game, Screenshot

The functionality of B Team staff is broken. It's a bug I've seen going back at least as far as FM22, and I to some extent 20.

When going to the staff overview screen, you are taken to a screen that should the number of staff you have and are allowed in each role, as well as providing options to request more staff, put out adverts, and request higher wages available for roles. At the bottom of the screen, you can find buttons that take you to the equivalent screens for other squads at your club (see screenshot Unionistas Staff).

For age group squads (in Spain, Under 19s), this works fine and takes you to a screen that functions identically. However, for B (and C) squads, it takes you to the Staff > All screen, rather than the Staff > Overview screen for that squad (see screenshot Unionistas B Staff).

Now, I am still able to access the overview screen for the B team by clicking Staff > Overview from this page. However, I am not able to use any of the functionality it offers in terms of requesting more staff, putting out adverts, and requesting higher wages available for roles, as the buttons are greyed out and unclickable (see screenshot Unionistas B Staff Overview Workaround). This is true for Unionistas in the screenshots and save attached, and it is also true for the A. Bilbo team I have added a second manager to in order to test if this is a general or club-specific issue - it affects all teams. It is also not impacted by any skins or graphics - I have tested both completely default as well as with various skins.

Furthermore, the game seems to randomly take away my ability to set staff responsiblities in all categories (e.g. Staff, Training, Tactics etc.) for other squads (see screenshot A. Bilbao Staff Responsibilities). I can reactiviate some of these in a very manual way - for example, I can go to the Development Centre and find a youth team player and manually change their training, and then through the popup take control of all individual training for that squad, also reactivating it in the responsibilities screen. However, at a random point further on, this will be taken away again and the game will issue responsibilities as it sees fit, including everything from staff contracts being renenwed (or not) to when and with what content reports on those teams include.

Unfortunately, these are far bigger than UI problems - they have a huge impact on gameplay. Player development is a huge part of the game, and as things stand I can't play with any club in a country with B teams (although I've only tested Spain so I don't know if the same applies in the Netherlands, Germany etc.), as I can't trust the game not to take control silently and take apart everything I've worked on, be it changing individual training, selling players I want to keep, messing with my staff setup etc.

While this may be something a player can ignore if they're just spending a couple of seasons in the Spanish First Division, any long term save idea in Spain is currently completely unplayable as your long term strategies are ignored and your player development plans are dismantled. This is the third game (going back to 20) where I've tried to start a save with Unionistas only to abandon it due to (the same) serious bugs.

Reports for bugs I've logged in previous games can be found below:

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

One final thing before I'll leave the thread alone for someone to respond.

I looked at the previous threads, and one recommendation was to delete the Cache from the User folder. I did this - the effect was that it returned all responsibilities to me, however the issue with the overview screen remained, as did being able to advertise B/C roles, request more B/C team staff or request that B/C roles had a higher wage available to them. Based on prior games however, just because the game tells me I have responsibilities assigned to me doesn't mean the game will respect them. I would expect that the other problems will filter back in as the save progresses, but I don't know for sure - I have spent too long testing this!

I'll attach the cache(s) I had prior to deleting for your investigations over three messages due to the file size limit. Please extract them together to get the original files.

Part 1.

Cache.part01.rar

Edited by Jamaicaman90

31 minutes ago, Jamaicaman90 said:

One final thing before I'll leave the thread alone for someone to respond.

I looked at the previous threads, and one recommendation was to delete the Cache from the User folder. I did this - the effect was that it returned all responsibilities to me, however the issue with the overview screen remained, as did being able to advertise B/C roles, request more B/C team staff or request that B/C roles had a higher wage available to them. Based on prior games however, just because the game tells me I have responsibilities assigned to me doesn't mean the game will respect them. I would expect that the other problems will filter back in as the save progresses, but I don't know for sure - I have spent too long testing this!

I'll attach the cache(s) I had prior to deleting for your investigations over three messages due to the file size limit. Please extract them together to get the original files.

Part 1.

Cache.part01.rar

Unfortunately I can confirm that after holidaying and returning after a few months, I have once again lost the ability to manage responsibilities for all squads other than the first team with A. Bilbao. The cache deletion is only a temporary fix for some of the issues.

I've uploaded a new save where the problem has returned - 'Spain Sniff Later'.

Also attached in this and the next message are my current cache Football Manager 2024.part1.rarin case they help.

Part 1.

Further followup (because apparently I've lost my mind). I can gt the staff overview view for a B or C team to work from the main staff overview screen (by clicking the button highlighted in the first post image 'Unionistas Staff') by delegating individual training. If I keep the responsibility of individual training for the B team back, the overview breaks again. In either case, the button to post adverts for a role or speak to the board about roles for that B or C team still does not work.

@Jamaicaman90 just adding to your thread of nations with clubs that have the B team issues indicated in this thread and others:

Australia 

Austria 

Belgium 

Germany

Portugal

Russia

Spain

Ukraine

United States

25 minutes ago, nickoo said:

@Jamaicaman90 just adding to your thread of nations with clubs that have the B team issues indicated in this thread and others:

Australia 

Austria 

Belgium 

Germany

Portugal

Russia

Spain

Ukraine

United States

Thanks for this. Unfortunately while this bug is in effect you've just given me a list of nations to avoid putting any time into.

It could be because your B team plays in an unplayable league. For me, playing as a team that has a B team starting in an unplayable league never worked as it was supposed to. I encountered problems since fm17. My B team never managed to gain promotion even after I edited their reputation with the ingame editor.

1 minute ago, Vali184 said:

It could be because your B team plays in an unplayable league. For me, playing as a team that has a B team starting in an unplayable league never worked as it was supposed to. I encountered problems since fm17. My B team never managed to gain promotion even after I edited their reputation with the ingame editor.

Unfortunately not. I tested with B teams in playable leagues (e.g. A. Bilbao B) and it's still completely broken.

It's worth pointing out also that in the Netherlands, teams with B teams in the senior playable leagues (i.e. Ajaz, AZ, PSV and Utrecht) do not have this issue. The B teams (Jong Ajax for example) are fully integrated into the club in the same manner as a reserve team and are not listed as an affiliate, and they function perfectly. Therefore, if the teams in Spain for example cannot be fixed, can they not be switched over to function in the same manner as the Dutch counterparts? At least for those teams that share the kits and identity of the main team. I understand A. Bilbao C (Basconia in real life) might not fit this due to the different kit, but A. Bilbao B (Bilbao Athletic in real life), Unionistas B, Borussia Dortmund II, FC Porto B... all these development sides seem to have an obvious route to full functionality that the game currently cuts them off from because the functionality of B teams as an affiliate club just does not seem to work when trying to also include player control over said team's day to day running.

Those edge cases like A. Bilbao C may need to remain as affiliates until a fix can be found, but they are in the absolute vast minority and are not worth breaking the game for so many other clubs in the meantime. Sevilla, Vigo, R. Madrid and many others have a B and C team with identical kits that would surely work fine if treated as reserve teams rather than as affiliated clubs. I don't know - it may even be the case that you would be able to have A. Bilbao C brought in as a reserve team but have a unique kit to the other squads. But a plea to the team at SI on this one - you make a great game, and I'm desperate to have a long term save in some of the countries where from my perspective it just currently is not possible without dealbreaking broken mechanics that ruin multiple aspects of the game.

Edited by Jamaicaman90

Same bug here in my HSV save.

I hired a coach for HSV II but my board blocked the transfer so, I sacked one of my second team coaches and that took all options of my staff responsibilities.

After the alt+f4, I retook all options at "staff responsibilities" for my u19 and the second team until the board blocked the transfer of another staff member.

12 hours ago, maatto said:

Same bug here in my HSV save.

I hired a coach for HSV II but my board blocked the transfer so, I sacked one of my second team coaches and that took all options of my staff responsibilities.

After the alt+f4, I retook all options at "staff responsibilities" for my u19 and the second team until the board blocked the transfer of another staff member.

In advance of someone from SI responding to this thread, could you upload a copy of your save with it broken and name it in a reply? I'd like them to be able to see that it's not just me, it's not just one club/one country, and that it's making certain nations borderline unplayable for any players interested in long term saves.

Edited by Jamaicaman90

Sure, I uploaded it on SI cloud as Hamburger SV.fm

I'm not certain that save file is corrupted because, after the restart, game went back to vanilla staff options. 

It's crazy that they cant fix second teams or build up matches. HSV 2 is in regional league that is unplayable so i have 15-20 young players to loan out...

19 minutes ago, maatto said:

Sure, I uploaded it on SI cloud as Hamburger SV.fm

I'm not certain that save file is corrupted because, after the restart, game went back to vanilla staff options. 

It's crazy that they cant fix second teams or build up matches. HSV 2 is in regional league that is unplayable so i have 15-20 young players to loan out...

No, I've been in the same boat. Clearing my chache also fixed some (not all) of the issues for a week or so in game before it all breaks again. There's something about the way these B teams are set up, how they are both a seperate affiliate team but also part of your club, that is breaking them. My uneduated guess would be a coding conflict that's trying to treat these squads as two different things at the same time that will then be inconsistent in how it appears.

To prove my point, you can try playing as Ajax. Jong Ajax in the second tier are not an affiliate club in the list, do not have their own Club Info screen, and you can't manage them. Despite playing in the senior leagues they fit into your club and UI the exact same way an English u21 side would. None of the problems discussed in this thread impact them. The issue is specifically limited to squads that are listed as affiliates with their own club overview screen that are also treated by your club as one that fits within the Development Centre.

All of the issues can be fixed immediately via the game's database by making all B/II teams function like Jong Ajax, at the expense of them being teams players can manage. To be able to manage them will probably require programming changes. For me, the novelty of managing a B team is absolutely not worth breaking their senior teams.

Edited by Jamaicaman90

11 hours ago, Jamaicaman90 said:

All of the issues can be fixed immediately via the game's database by making all B/II teams function like Jong Ajax, at the expense of them being teams players can manage. To be able to manage them will probably require programming changes. For me, the novelty of managing a B team is absolutely not worth breaking their senior teams.

Spot on, I feel the same way and would prefer the B teams be non-manageable and have them function like they should  All the bugs I've reported this year and previous years are not present with Dutch B teams etc. Most of 'standalone' B/II teams that are bugged, are meant to be U21/U23 teams and would function in real life like U21 teams in England, except they play in lower divisions instead of an U21 league. 

Edited by nickoo

7 hours ago, Madhav said:

@Jamaicaman90 Can you please post this in full release bugs forum? If we are lucky, it may get fixed in one of major updates.

Hi @Madhav - I think it's the same forum as far as I can tell, they've just renamed it post-release. If I'm wrong can you link me to the correct forum? I can't see another one.

I have come to find, that this issue only occurs for me, if I terminate my B teams staff contracts. Mutual Termination doesn't have any effect, so I terminated the contract via 'terminate contract'.
    Then my staff responsibilities for staff signings, contracts and training for B and youth teams disappear.

If I don't forcefully terminate B team staff contracs, the issue doesn't appear for me and I remain having full control.

Edited by Retrogott

As a matter of fact, I did terminate the contract of a reserve team coach at one point during my save. However, I lost control of all staff responsibilities long after that - after one or two in-game months, maybe even more. If that is what triggers the initial defect, then why would it take so long? I'm genuinely intrigued.

To test things out, I terminated my own contract after losing control of staff responsibilities, and then immediately added myself back as manager by using the in-game editor. This only solved the issue temporarily. After adding myself back as manager, I went on holiday for a month. By the time I came back, I had lost control of staff responsibilities once again - this time, without touching staff.

Very, very strange.

For other users, this is the issue that I raised:

Let's hope we get a fix of some kind. I would hate to lose all my progress on this save.