FM09: Bradford City Thread

smithybulls

Bradford City A.F.C

bradford-city.jpg

A Brief History ...

Bradford City Association Football Club (also known as The Bantams) is an English football club based in Bradford, West Yorkshire, playing in League Two. The club plays home games at Valley Parade. The ground was the victim of a fire on 11 May 1985, which took the lives of 56 supporters.

The club was founded in 1903. It was instantly elected into Division Two of the Football League despite not having played a previous game. Promotion to the top tier followed in 1908 and the club won the FA Cup in 1911, its only major honour. After relegation in 1922 from Division One, the club spent 77 years outside the top flight until promotion to the Premier League in 1999. City stayed up, with a then record low of 36 points, in the first season in the Premier League. Relegation followed the following season. Since then a series of financial crises have pushed the club to the brink of closure. The financial pressures have resulted in two more relegations to its current position in League Two.

The club has had more than 40 managers, all of whom have been from Great Britain and Ireland. The club's current manager is Stuart McCall, who played for the club in two previous spells, and is one of several managers to have played international football.

Bradford City is the only professional football club in England to wear claret and amber. The club colours were inherited from Manningham FC, when the club converted to football upon Bradford City's foundation in 1903. They have worn claret and amber, with either white or black, since it was founded. The traditional style has been for stripes. Since the fire in 1985, the club has used black on the kit as a memory to the 56 supporters who died.

Honours

FA Cup

Quarter-finalists - 1930-31, 1980-81

Football League Third Division South

Runners-up - 1932-33

Football League Third Division South Cup

Winners - 1934

Football League Fourth Division

Champions - 1989-90

Runners-up - 1976-77

4th Place, Promoted - 1963/64

Conference National

Play-off Winners - 2007-08

Play-off Finalists - 2006-07

FA Trophy

Semi-finalists - 2005-06

FA Devon St. Lukes Challenge Bowl (Incomplete)

Champions - 1953-54, 1954-55 (Shared), 1958-59, 1960-61, 1961-62, 1973-74, 1996-97, 2000-01, 2001-02, 2003-04, 2004-05

Runners-up - 1936-37, 1945-46, 1957-58, 1969-70, 1971-72, 1997-98, 2006-07

Team

1 Rhys Evans Goalkeeper

2 Paul Arnison Defender

3 Paul Heckingbottom Defender

4 Paul McLaren Midfielder

5 Graeme Lee Defender

6 Mark Bower Defender

7 Omar Daley Midfielder

8 Lee Bullock Midfielder

9 Barry Conlon Striker

10 Peter Thorne Striker

11 Chris Brandon Midfielder

12 Matthew Clarke Defender

13 Jon McLaughlan Goalkeeper

14 Michael Boulding Striker

15 Joe Colbeck Midfielder

16 Simon Ainge Defender

17 Willy Topp Striker

18 Rory Boulding Striker

19 Luke O'Brien Defender

20 Thomas Moncur Defender

21 Tom Clarke Defender

22 Kyle Nix Midfielder

23 Dean Furman (on loan from Rangers ) Midfielder

24 Nicky Law Midfielder

26 Luke Sharry Midfielder

27 Leon Osborne Striker

28 Sean Taylforth Striker

29 Adrian Bellamy Defender

30 Matthew Convey Goalkeeper

Good Luck!

got a game going with bradford.... signed loads of players on loan, won first league game 6-0 and after 4 games have won 2 drawn 1 lost 1. (dominated the draw: 18 shots to 0.... 66% possession to 34%) (and was 2-1 up against bury at 87mins, but somehow managed to lose 3-2)

anyone else playing as bradford?

Well I am currently flying high at the top of League Two after a 13 league match unbeaten run. W8 D5 L0. Scored 18 conceded just 6. I have got the defence sorted (which is mainly down to the superb goalkeeping of Fernandez) but I was struggling to score goals. I tweaked with the tactics and started banging them in. Peter thorne came back from injury and scored 4 in 5 so things are looking good.

Got a nice local derby in the form of Huddersfield in the Johnstone paint trophy quarters after knocking out Oldham and Bury.

Was knocked out in first round of league up by Sheff Weds. Only 2-1 so was quite happy with that result.

Current top goalscorer: Michael Boulding (6)

Avg Rating: Roberto Junior Fernandez (7.23)

Signings:

Fabio (Man utd loan)

Seyfo Soley

Dean Bowditch

Jonny Godsmark (Newcastle Loan)

Roberto Junior Fernandez

Patrick Noubissie

Zoumana Bakayoko

Herold Goulon

Fred Sears (West Ham Utd Loan)

Out:

Barry Conlon

Matthew Clarke

Jonathan McLaughlin

Paul Heckingbottom

Kyle Nix

First team looking like this:

Fernandez

Noubissie

Bakayoko

Lee

Soley

Godsmark

Fabio

Furman

McClaren

Thorne

Boulding

Any one else playing as the Bantams?

I've also played 13 games... W6 D5 L2 so not too good.... started off really well but have hit a slight dip in form. Scored 21 and condeded 8.

Ins:

Koki Mizuno (Loan)

Fabio (Loan)

Steven Smith (Loan)

Bartosz Slusarski (Loan)

Shaleum Logan (Loan)

Ron-Robert Zieler (Loan)

Seyfo Soley

Marvin Andrews

Ruben Palazeulos

Outs:

Luke O'Brien

Barry Conlon

Matthew Clarke

Simon Ainge

Probably too many loans but they are all class players for League 2 so will hopefully help me get promoted :D

Was knocked out the league cup by Blackpool 2-1 and have Rotherham in the Qtr Finals of the JP.

I've also played 13 games... W6 D5 L2 so not too good.... started off really well but have hit a slight dip in form. Scored 21 and condeded 8.

Ins:

Koki Mizuno (Loan)

Fabio (Loan)

Steven Smith (Loan)

Bartosz Slusarski (Loan)

Shaleum Logan (Loan)

Ron-Robert Zieler (Loan)

Seyfo Soley

Marvin Andrews

Ruben Palazeulos

Outs:

Luke O'Brien

Barry Conlon

Matthew Clarke

Simon Ainge

Probably too many loans but they are all class players for League 2 so will hopefully help me get promoted :D

Was knocked out the league cup by Blackpool 2-1 and have Rotherham in the Qtr Finals of the JP.

That's my aim. Just get out of League two, raise some cash and start building a decent team while sustaining a position in league one. Luckily I found few gems on free transfer so I didn't have to make so many loan signings.

Ah too bad. I am not too bothered about backroom staff too much until I have the squad that I want due to the limited funds. Jacobs will do until then!

Yeh if I could have the old guy back and the transfer budget I would haha. And sign that keeper ;).

How have your results been? Have they been ground out or have you managed to knock a few goals in? It took me a while to find the right balance.

There have been a few frustrating ones but most of the wins have been comfortable and deserved.

Here's my fixture list...

fixtureshj6.th.jpg

There have been a few frustrating ones but most of the wins have been comfortable and deserved.

Here's my fixture list...

fixtureshj6.th.jpg

Yeah looking good. I just lost my first game against Port Vale even though I was all over them and had the more chances. Just couldn't finish. Made up for it in the next match though with win on penalties after a 1-1 draw with arch rivals Huddersfield in JPT north quarter final.

got us promoted in 1st season on last day

team of the year - Evans, Arnison, Heckingbottom, Lee, Moncur, Colbeck, Daley, Furman, Bullock, Conlon and Andy Carrol on loan from Newcastle, Subs - Zieler (GK from Man U), Bower, Nix, McClaren, Clarke, O'Brien and Gifton Noel-Williams. Only scored 59 goals...

struggling in lower half of league 1 now after 18 games, im 16th with a W5 D7 L6

team is - Evans, Shelton Martis (free from WBA), Gary Borrowdale (free from Coventry), Lee, Alan Bennett (free from Reading), Colbeck, Daley, McClaren, John Welsh (free from Hull), Noel-Williams (free from Millwall) and Jordan Robertson (free from Sheff Utd)

havnt spent any money so have 100K coming up to jan and in need of a striker

re-signed Dean Windass as well, but hes failed to live up to previous standards!

Premiership by 2012/13 is the target!!!!!

fleetwood has scored 14 so far and fowler has got 19 Managed to get £160.000 for daley. Dont rate is attributes too much

how did you manage to get that money for daley?

got us promoted in 1st season on last day

team of the year - Evans, Arnison, Heckingbottom, Lee, Moncur, Colbeck, Daley, Furman, Bullock, Conlon and Andy Carrol on loan from Newcastle, Subs - Zieler (GK from Man U), Bower, Nix, McClaren, Clarke, O'Brien and Gifton Noel-Williams. Only scored 59 goals...

struggling in lower half of league 1 now after 18 games, im 16th with a W5 D7 L6

team is - Evans, Shelton Martis (free from WBA), Gary Borrowdale (free from Coventry), Lee, Alan Bennett (free from Reading), Colbeck, Daley, McClaren, John Welsh (free from Hull), Noel-Williams (free from Millwall) and Jordan Robertson (free from Sheff Utd)

havnt spent any money so have 100K coming up to jan and in need of a striker

re-signed Dean Windass as well, but hes failed to live up to previous standards!

Premiership by 2012/13 is the target!!!!!

Good man! I will be absolutely gutted if I don't win the league with the team I have.

In desperate need of Peter Thorne back from injury. Just seems to get on the end of everything

Im in the championship with Bradford at the moment, first season I fineshed third with not really alot of signings except for Mascio!

Mascio is a must sign player for League 2. Aswell as Seyfo Soley!

2nd season in League 1 I fineshed 6th in the play-off's and beat Yeovil in play-off final and got promoted to Championship!

Players like Omar Daley and Willy Topp can go up the Leagues with you, I played Daley up front all season in League 2 and he bagged 19 goals. Only got 4 goals in the next season though from Right wing but he does a great job there.

Conlon will get you goals but Thorne won't (which is abit on the un-realistic side really)

Players like Colbeck Brandon Arnison and Nix are abit pointless as none really do much but are good Backu[ players.

Sharrys oright, still got him in the Championship but he's hardly going to get in the team over Buzacky Mascio and Amo - Got Danny Haynes and when your in League 1 sign a player called Benjamin Totori (or Tottori?)

In League 1 try and sign Morrison from Sheffield United, Jamaican international.

But in League 2 try Daley up strike with Conlon or someone who can win headers, buy Mascio and Furman and Mclaren can battle it out for who plays with him.

Can't remember who I had as wingers, think they were loans, Milsom from Fulham I think.

Mid-table in Championship at the mo!

Im in the championship with Bradford at the moment, first season I fineshed third with not really alot of signings except for Mascio!

Mascio is a must sign player for League 2. Aswell as Seyfo Soley!

2nd season in League 1 I fineshed 6th in the play-off's and beat Yeovil in play-off final and got promoted to Championship!

Players like Omar Daley and Willy Topp can go up the Leagues with you, I played Daley up front all season in League 2 and he bagged 19 goals. Only got 4 goals in the next season though from Right wing but he does a great job there.

Conlon will get you goals but Thorne won't (which is abit on the un-realistic side really)

Players like Colbeck Brandon Arnison and Nix are abit pointless as none really do much but are good Backu[ players.

Sharrys oright, still got him in the Championship but he's hardly going to get in the team over Buzacky Mascio and Amo - Got Danny Haynes and when your in League 1 sign a player called Benjamin Totori (or Tottori?)

In League 1 try and sign Morrison from Sheffield United, Jamaican international.

But in League 2 try Daley up strike with Conlon or someone who can win headers, buy Mascio and Furman and Mclaren can battle it out for who plays with him.

Can't remember who I had as wingers, think they were loans, Milsom from Fulham I think.

Mid-table in Championship at the mo!

Sounds brilliant. Is that Mascio from Triestina?

I haven't played in a while, hence no update, but hoping to get some game time in now.

Will post after a few games.

Ive 25 games played of my first season and im unbeaten in the league but only 3 points ahead of shrewsbury whom Grant Holt is banging in the goals for. I was knocked out of Johnstone's Paint trophy and Fulham put me out of the carling cup but my next game is a replay away to sheff utd in the fa cup fifth round. My team is normally

Evans

Arnison

Lee

Miguel Rebosio (a free transfer who is a former uraguay international)

Richie Byrne (a free transfer as well)

Colbeck

Sharry

Mc Laran

Omar Daley

Fleetwood

Thorne

I signed a MR called Hakola, and a striker, attacker called Nik Omladic. I hope these 2 will provide the kick I need to keep the title push going. Sharry and McLaran have been phenomenal while Fleetwood, Thorne, Daley and youth player Osbourne have all chipped in with goals. I sold Topp, Heckingbottom, Conlon, Nix, Bullock and a few others. I have quite a young team and try to keep a strict policy to only sign players under age 25 (with the odd exception).

I love the idea of resurrecting a sleeping giant and I want to take City right up through the divisions.

I downloaded the new patch the other day so i had to start my game again.

My tactic seems to have dramaticly improved with with the fixes too.

won league 2 and came runner up in the johnstone's cup Loosing to Brighton.

My second season i managed to find a few good bargins especially this one

traianln7.png

By theBantams

who i managed to get on a free.

Imcurrently on top of Coca Cola League1 with only a few months left of the season

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there just have 15 games to go in my 2nd season and im top of league one. Won league 2 without much trouble and finished unbeaten but drew quite a few games. Signed a couple of good players on frees in january and the summer.

Javan Vidal - free

Danny Webber - free

Karl Moore - free

David Prutton - £30/40k

Of the players I had before, Luke Sharry, Nik Omladic, Miguel Rebosio ans Rhys Evans have been outstanding. I also got a new asisstant manager temting bolton youth coach Julian Darby. I thought the fans and the board would be a bit happier but I suppose they realise we should be up a couple of divisions anyway. Im gettin big crowds for home games. An average of 23,000 or so per match. Hopefully I will hold on and lift the league title and get a few quid in the summer and try to spend it wisely. Then my assult on trying to get the bantams back to the big time will start. I tryed looking for stadium expansion but dont yet have the funds. Whats the max attendance any of you guys had after expansion. Id love to be welcoming United and Liverpool to a 40,000 strong partizan valley parade in my fourth season. Thanks for the updates and keep them coming!

• 2 weeks later...

Into my 3rd season. Won League 2 in my first season and finished 12th after a disappointing run in my 2nd season. Also just took over South Africa so manager of 2 sides. Love the way Bradford make a load of money. Signed a lot of players on the cheap or loan signing. The only player I spent big (well big for me) was £425K for Rickie Lambert but he is terrible which is disappointingly unrealistic. I am so upset that he isnt playing well cause I thought he would be much better.

Gk Rhys Evans/ Tommy Heaton

RB Van Zanten/Danny Mills

LB Perrier Doumbe

CB Bobo Balde (captain)

CB Bates/ Soley/Mills

RM Colbeck/ Smeekes

LM Lee Martin

CM Furman/ James McCarthy

CM Gai Assulin

ST Nade/ Webber

ST Makela/ Lambert

Can anyone recommend a proven striker who I will be able to sign and is virtually able to guarentee goals in League One. None of my striker can score regularly enough and I am getting very frustrated at dominanting games and then not winning. I am hoping to push for promotion this season but after 3 games my hopes arent very high.

I have finally found time to get me teeth back into my City save. Currently back at the top of the table now by 7 points. Since the patch, as other players have mentioned, my tactic seems to be working so much better.

current state of play:

P:30 W:16 D:13 L:1 For:39 Ag:15 Pts:61

Went a bit free-transfer mad in the transfer window. Was in desperate need of goals so I brought in Fowler, Yorke and Dargo. Fowler not playing as I had hoped. Yorke seems to be showing promise and Dargo is impressing at the moment. Also brought in a spanish 22y/o LM called Adria and signed Morton.

Squad looks like this:

GK Roberto Fernandez

DR Noubissie

DL Bakayoko

DC Soley

DC Bower (was Lee but Bower on form at the moment)

RM Godsmark (loan)

LM Adria

MC McClaren

MC Yorke

ST Sears (loan)

ST Dargo

Top Scorer: Thorne (9)

Will update at end the of the season.

Promoted twice in first two seasons and finished mid table in championship third season.

Mascio is a must buy, on my game he is now worth 30m and classed as a wonderkid. (My board accepted an offer of 3m for him and he left... i cried.

Taner Taktak is another must buy, costs only 12k and becomes premiership class.

Nik Omladic is another great buy at around 30k.

Mijatovic costs 12k and is very consistent and good enough for championship.

Korun becomes a class act, costs 40k.

If you need more class signings, just PM.

I've just got promoted to the championship and have taken a few real hidings in pre season (man city 8-0, bayern munich 4-0). I was happy enough with last season but need to get a striker in. I sighned danny webber and he was good in league 1 but doesnt convince me that he'll take me to the prem. Am i asking too much too soon by expecting to go straight through the divisions. I cant find this guy mascio and cant afford some of the others mentioned. Any advice

Well first season finally finished.

Finished in 1st with 99 points, 2pts ahead of Shrewsbury. Only lost 1 game all season.

Signing of the season without doubt was Roberto Junior Fernandez.

Top scorer: Fred Sears

Giving the squad a good clear out now getting rid of some of the deadwood and I will try and scout around in the free transfers again for some little gems for next season. Need to get another good player on loan as Fred Sears will be missed when he goes back to West Ham. He was phenomenal in the back end of the season.

I'm now going into my 4th season finishing mid table again in League One. A hint for everyone. I scouted Italy and also scoured the reserve team of championship, league one and league two club. I have signed 4 Italian youngsters on free transfer with amazing potential abilities. The highest says he could be a good premier league player and the lowest is a good championship player. I have also signed 3 english youngster with amazing potential abilities but I had to pay for them but the prices are very reasonable. The only problem is that they want considerably higher wages then the Italians. I am also targetting about another 5 or 6 english youngster. My hopefully not futile attempt to turn Bradford into the next Arsenal.

Well I have made some fantastic signings for the second season.

Matthew Bates, Collins John, Leroy Lita, Keiran McKenna, Arnau, Godwin Antwi. All were released on free transfer or at end of contract!

Almost had Daniel Sturridge but he went to Hull on a free.

Also picked up a midfielder from Bohemians i think it was, called Kalonas, very good player.

Wage bill rocketing now, once thats under control I should be ok.

For the first time ever I have had a great youngster come through the ranks! James Lyons (AMR/C/FC) he is called, already at decent prem level according to coach. Already scored 4 in 4.

Results:

Cheltenham 0-1 L

Oldham 2-3 L (L.Cup)

After I got tactics right...

Walsall 4-0 W

Crewe 4-2 W

Tranmere 3-1 W

If I don't get promoted I need to be shot.

Won League One with Bradford, losing 3 games in the process. I won 24 and drew 19. As you can see if my team had been a bit more clincal we would have walked it, but we won by 4 points anyway. I made a load of free signings or signed youth player with big potential and it seems to have paid off. I am going into the season 2012/2013. Can anyone recommend any players to sign. Here is my first team.

GK Tom Heaton/Rhys Evans

RB Fontanella (regen)

LB Paul Jones (regen)

CB Mvoto

CB Livesey (captain)

RM Smeekes/Assulin

LM Michael Clark (regen)/Rodney Sneijder/Assulin

CM Sharry/D'Agostino (regen)

CM Assulin/Medunjanin

ST Nade/Sutton

ST Makinwa/Andy Carroll

Mvoto and Livesey were immense but Mvoto was a loanee so I am going to try and sgin him on a free. Amazing in League One because he is quick for a CB. All the regens were 17 or 18 and they all played very well. Some of the youth have not progressed as much as I wanted but I put that partly down to the board restriting my number of coaches and poor training facilities.

• 3 weeks later...

Have taken Bradford to the Premier League now after 2 seasons in the championship. I finished 2nd. My key players where Valeri Bojinov, Byrce Moon and Liam Ridgewell. If anyone wants I will post my 1st XI as there are quite a few difference from the one above as some of my youngster started to perform and improve a bit.

Well after a very up and down season I have some how managed to finish champions of League 1. After 14 games I was sitting in 14th, a change of tactics and I managed to gain ground on the leaders. Southampton were running away with the league but had an awful second half to the season and finished fourth with me, Notts Forest and Leicester all on 91 points but I had the superior goal difference.

My 16 yr old wonder regen that came from my academy finished with 25 goals in 40 appearences.

I have managed to sign Toldo on a free for next year, will probably only last a year but will help for my push towards premier league.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, quick question not really Bradford related but what leagues do you generally have loaded? Not sure what leagues would be the most beneficial to a League 2 team?

Thanks!

anyone answer this mans question ide be interested in knowing i want to start a game as bradford

• 1 month later...

Archived