High Creative Freedom

Hi,

Just because you asked, I decided to try it out. I put every single player on free role and max creative freedom. So you'd expect the players to be all over the shop doing their own thing... I've played 2 games like this now and these are the effects I'm noticing:

...wait for it...

...wait...

...wait a little bit more...

THERE'S NO DIFFERENCE!

I did win those 2 matches (narrowly), but I'm not noticing any difference in the play. The players aren't doing anything spectacularly creative. I'm not seeing them in any positions or doing any movements I didn't see them do before. They behave exactly like they always do.

But I'll leave it like this and see what happens... it's not like I feel I have any control over what's going on on the pitch anywyay :D It's like nothing I do tactically makes any difference worth mentioning.

I just drew the third game, against a title contender (I'm a relegation candidate). If there's any effect, it's probably a good one, haha... remember that I have every single player on free role and max CF, including the goalkeeper. Had 3 good results now, but might be for totally different reasons.

This is funny.... we had 5 great results (4 wins, 1 draw) against top teams of the league, then we get soundly beaten at home by a bottom scraper, the only match where we had the odds in our favour. But that seems to be the way it is in FM09.

Don't know if I should laugh or cry :D

Don't worry I beat Man U 4-0 away then lose 1-0 to Everton at home, it's insane lol.

Almost all tactics use low creative freedom but apparently it doesn't make any difference.

And BTW, instead of changing every player you could of just set your team instructions to High Creative Freedom and put everyone on team instructions lol

Ok, after that I put all attacking players (AML, AMC, AMR, ST, ST) on free roles and very high creative freedom (almost max). At that point we were struggling below mid-table, not doing well at all. 3 matches left of the season and we're number 3 with realistic promotion chances! Not bad for a relegation candidate... The team has not gelled all season, so that's not what's doing it. So the 2 good runs I had this season were both when I put high CF and Free Roles, for whatever it's worth.

Well, I stuck with the high creativity for the rest of the season and managed to get promotd to Serie B after an extra time goal in the second leg of the playoff final! Dang, that was nerve-wrecking... If you had told me this at mid-season, I'd have laughed at you.

Don't know how big part the freedom thing played in this, but it certainly looked like something happened there...

High creative freedom is the difference between Patrice Evra receiving the ball on the half way line and bombing up the left wing through a crowd of players or running through the centre where there is space. It is the difference between Tevez holding up the ball and looking for runners or launching a 35 yard effort towards the top corner.

Whether or not any of these options have any effect depends on more variables than can be mentioned, but are easilly spotted by watching the game as it unfolds.

Ideally a high creative freedom means the player has instructions but can, if he wants to, do what he wants like trying to take players on instead of say holding up the ball for a pass and perhaps passing backwards. I would assume the player's creativity, flair, decisions and perhaps morale and/or form would come into account.

I'm just not quite sure to what level creative freedom makes the player disregard your individual instructions and try for the spectacular but low percentage stuff. I.e does it only kick in when the player has few options to pass to, does it kick in when the player sees a chance to try something creative?

Archived