FM 2009 - Sporting CP: Os Leoes

the--dud

Sporting CP, one of three teams that could realistically win The Liga Sagres. The other two obviously being Porto and Benfica. I personally feel you have the strongest squad out of the three, if you can manage to keep Veloso and Moutinho... Try to bring the lions back to their fame of the 60s and 70s, dominate the league and make them a force in Europe again!

City of Lisbon:

aageuc.jpg

Lisbon (Portuguese: Lisboa) is the capital and largest city of Portugal, and has a population of 564,477, while the Lisbon Metropolitan Area in total has around 2.8 million inhabitants, and 3.34 million people live in the broader agglomeration of Lisbon Metropolitan Region. Due to its economic output, standard of living, and market size, the Grande Lisboa (Greater Lisbon) subregion is considered the second most important financial and economic center of the Iberian Peninsula. The Lisbon region is the wealthiest region in Portugal and it is well above the European Union's GDP per capita average - it produces 45% of the Portuguese GDP. It is also the political center of the country, as seat of government and residence of the Head of State.

Sporting CP:

k9gxi0.jpg

Full name: Sporting Clube de Portugal

Nickname(s): Leões (Lions)

Founded: 1 July 1906

Ground: Estádio José Alvalade (Capacity: 52,000)

Chairman: Filipe Soares Franco

Manager: Paulo Bento

League: 2007–08 Portuguese Liga, 2nd

Sporting Clube de Portugal, referred to coloquially as Sporting, Sporting CP or, erroneously, Sporting Lisbon, is a Portuguese sports club based in Lisbon. The club is particularly renowned for its football department. With more than 100,000 registered club members, Sporting is one of the most successful and popular sports clubs in Portugal. Its teams, athletes and supporters are often nicknamed Os Leões (English: The Lions).

It is the club with the greatest number of medals won by its athletes in Olympic competitions, and the second most successful at the European level regarding the number of trophies won in every sport, after F.C. Barcelona.

Squad:

A slightly uneven squad, with amazing talents and some sturdy older players. Unfortunately, there is quite a bit of dead-wood which you can easily sell or release to bring in some fresh faces. It's very important to keep the top players, unless you get such a good price that you're confident you can bring in even better players!

Goalkeepers

GK - Rui Patrício*

GK - Tiago

GK - Ricardo Batista

GK - Vladimir Stojković^

Defenders

DL - Leandro Grimi

DL - Ronny

DL - Abel

DC - Ânderson Polga *

DC - Daniel Carriço

DC - Tonel

DRLC - Caneira

DRC - Marco Caneira

DR - Pedro Silva

Midfielders

DMC/MC - Miguel Veloso^

MC - Fábio Rochemback

MC - João Moutinho*

MC - Marat Izmailov

AML - Simon Vukčević

AMR - Bruno Pereirinha

AMC - Leandro Romagnoli

Forwards

ST - Liédson*

FC - Yannick Djaló^

ST - Derlei

ST - Hélder Postiga

ST - Rodrigo Tiuí

The players marked with ^ are promising and capable youngster, the ones with * are important and established players. In my opinion of course...

Players out:

AML/ST - Celsinho (loan Estrela Amadora )

MC - Pontus Farnerud (Stabaek IF)

ST - Milan Purovic (Kayserispor)

Sporting has retained all their mega-talents (but for how long?). Best signing for them is probably Helder Postiga, which is not a bad striker at all in FM09 but perhaps suited for rotation.

State of Affairs

Having João Moutinho and Miguel Veloso in the midfield goes a long way. Especially because their stats in FM09 is out of this world. Leidson and Djaló is two very good strikers, with Postiga and Derlei as decent back up. However, you might want to get a class striker as neither of these are world-class in my opinion. The single most important thing you need to sort out, is without doubt your defense! You need to sign at least a CB and a winger for each side if you can afford it.

Winning the Liga Sagres on first year should be entirely possible, as your squad is strong enough especially if you manage to get a few good players in.

Best Established Player

2u7yfiv.jpg

João Moutinho - MC

After showing great promise as a boy playing for his hometown club, when Moutinho turned 14 he signed with Sporting Clube de Portugal to continue his football education. His sports-fanatic parents (his father, Nélson, played for arch-rivals S.L. Benfica youth teams) played an important part in his choice.

During the 2007-2008 season, Moutinho established himself as somewhat of a club symbol, earning plaudits as one of the league's top players, with impressive regular and quality performances.

Moutinho is quite easily one of the best MCs in FM09, his stats are absolutely through the roof. This however means that a lot of top clubs will try to pry him away from you. Unless you get a large pot of gold for him, you should not sell him as you will struggle to bring in any players of equal quality.

Best Young Player

160sbvb.jpg

Simon Vukčević - ST

Simon Vukčević, born January 29, 1986 in Titograd, Montenegro, SFR Yugoslavia is a Montenegrin football player, currently playing for Sporting C.P.

One of the most exciting players of recent times in Serbia and Montenegro, attacking midfielder Vukčević started learning his craft at FK Budućnost Podgorica before moving to the Serbian capital to join FK Partizan youth system at the tender age of 16.

Although perhaps no terribly young at the age of 22, I picked him because he does have amazing potential. His ability is already more than good enough for Liga Sagres, but I believe he can become even better. He's a very explosive and exciting player which is sure to get a good bunch of assists and goals for Sporting CP.

Misc...::

I'm at work, so I can't guarantee ALL information to be 100% accurate, but I will proof-read everything as soon as I can.

As always, any comments/corrections/feedback more than welcome, don't hesitate to get involved!

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aye, I'll try to only to teams that I really like :)

Although I understand what you're saying, I'll obviously keep watching the threads and keep them alive... But I can't promise that I'll play with each and every team extensively. I feel it's important to have the team threads, and if someone wants to play with them the threads will thrive naturally yes?

Tiago is the oldest GK, and is the player with most years in the club. Hardly promising or youngster ;)

Haha, silly mistake... Changed it to Stojković, at 25 that's still young for a GK ;)

Anything else that stands out, or is it good?

Awesome I wanted to make a Sporting thread, but it wouldn't have came out this well. Have you noticed everyone on the squad is amazing at long shots? I'm also guessing having Mirko Vucinic on there might be an accident huh ;)? Maybe you left someone in from your Roma thread I'm thinking.

Awesome I wanted to make a Sporting thread, but it wouldn't have came out this well. Have you noticed everyone on the squad is amazing at long shots?

Cheers mate ;)

Well, Izmailov and Moutinho are pretty amazing at long shots in my game... Might be that you have a really good tactic for long shots? Would be interesting to see :)

Cheers mate ;)

Well, Izmailov and Moutinho are pretty amazing at long shots in my game... Might be that you have a really good tactic for long shots? Would be interesting to see :)

Not yet, but I'll certainly work on it. All they're midfielders have 16 or higher though. Vukcevic has 20. I had a great one in 08, but it relied on bringing fullbacks into DM spots, so I'll have to translate it a bit. BTW, check my edit I spotted a mistake in your opening post lol.

Right yeah, cheers! :)

It's because I usually do these posts in work where I don't have FM09 Demo available... And I use my previous post as a template for the new one, so you know!

Haha at first I thought you knew something I didn't. I was like holy crap they have Vucinic??? I'm pretty sure I saw him score a couple times for Roma the other day! Then I remembered you did the Roma thread lol. Anyway, do you mind if I steal your format a bit for a German team? I really like the pictures and description of the cities idea.

Not at all, feel free mate! I was thinking about doing Werder Bremen, which team are you gonna do? If you were thinking WB you can have them. Even though I like them IRL I find them a bit frustrating in Football Manager :p

killface, honestly do WB then I don't think I really want to do them to be honest hehe ;)

mcdogbark, aye he's really good in FM09. Strangely enough he wasn't amazing on my SCP save but I might have given him individual instructions he didnt like... Moutinho was a beast for me but!

Let's see... For a striker you can try Lavezzi from Napoli or Milevskyi from Dinamo Kiev, or anyone else that's listed on these forums...

Sometimes Yakubu at Vitesse is a good CB, but his stats can be random. Or you can try and find a decent older CB with good Marking, Tackling and Anticipatioin :)

i always play with Sporting!!!

great talented squad.

but look out for good defenders (the actual ones are pretty slow), i'm trying to replace abel and grimi, also trying to buy a hot prospect for the centre.

in the mid, rochemback, moutinho, veloso, izmailov and vukcevic are great value. sold romagnoli (don't like the guy) and i'm now looking for a young replacement.

bought ljunberg for thr right side. and daniel carvalho for the left.

in the front i'm preparing the replacement (age issue only) of derlei and liedson. but, only for the next seasons...

SPOOOOOOOORTING!!! :D

big sporting fan here always my first choice in the game for LB i would sugest john goossens. i am only 9 games into my first season but he has been great for me and i only paid 1.5 M us dollars for him. im new to the forum here so not really sure how to post a screen shot of him but i will give it a shot.

johngoossensot7.th.jpgthpix.gif

Hey guys, I'm doing great, never cheated until now :D My tactic is diamond 4-4-2, instructions are, short quick passing, counter-attack, playmaker - Joao Moutinho -, Long shots often on Vukcevic, Moutinho and Veloso, and Vukcevic taking all set pieces. Vukcevic has 10 Goals, 6 Assists, and 5 Man of the Match awards :D My best player so far, following Moutinho and then Ninis.

I play:

--------------Ustari

P. Silva - Caneira - Polga - Grimi

--------------Veloso

-Ninis--------------------Vukcevic

--------------Moutinho

---------Djalo ------Saivet/Liedson

Liedson is Unhappy, wants to leave the club, what should I do? Sell him and get a better, young striker?

My buys (including summer window, at start):

Ninis

Saivet

Helder Barbosa (coming at the end of the season)

Got another that comes at the end f the season, but forgot his name :O

Ustari

Mauricio

Sells:

Izmailov

Romagnoli

Tiui

Tonel

Stojkovic

Mauricio (loan)

Ricardo Batista (loan)

Still got 4M. Need a Striker to pair with Djalo upfront, and a developed Centre Back. Suggestions pls? :S I'm struggling to find good players :S they've downgraded most of the bargains there was in 08 :( and Ronaldo already moved ..

Hey guys i'm going to start a game with Sporting. First thing i shall definately do is get rid of Manchester United as my parent club (if they still are). After that link has been cancelled on to transfers. I will look to bring in Brazilians and Portuguese young players. If anyone can recommend some decent young one's that would be a huge help. Thiago Silva will be first target. I shall do my all to keep Moutinho and Veloso. I will post an update soon...

just finished up my first season with sporting finished first in the league by 3 points 24 wins 5 draws and one loss.won both league cup and portuguese cup.lost in the quarter finals of the champions league 1-0 on agg to barca.highest fee received fee was 60 mil us for miguel veloso. highest fee spent was 45 mil us for amauri which hasen't paid divident just yet but lets see what i get from him in the new season.

also john goossens is a great buy at the begining of the first year he is great at taking free kicks he finished my first season with 13 goals and just 2 games in to my 2nd year he has 3 goals

I've just finished the first season in 1st, won league cup, and runner-up in portuguese cup.

I'm now lacking on AMR's. Ninis and Pereirinha are playing good, but they all are young and tire faster. Otherwise, I have many AML's :p Vukcevic, Helder Barbosa, Di Maria, Saivet .. I'm thinking on training Helder Barbosa and Di Maria to play as AMR. Then, I should loan Pereirinha.

Got Hulk for 10M, got 1 assist in his first game ^^.

I'm now struggling to keep Moutinho, Veloso and Vukcevic on my team, every team wants them :S:S

I'm looking for a CB too. Got Polga, Caneira, Nordtveit, and Carriço, But Nordtveit and Carriço are still developing, and they wont provide a decent back-up, I think.

Suggestions?

dont be scared to play carrico he will do well for u in ur second season i also thought he wouldn't hack it but i threw him in there for a couple of games and he ended up remaining a starter. the presure from other teams for veloso and moutinho will only get worse so i would suggest giveing them new contracts and adding a high minimal release clause other wise the team will say the offer was to good to refuse and u will lose them for much less then what u can get for them. i sold veloso to real madrid in my first season in jan for 60 mil and i hust sold moutinho at the end of my second season to man utd for 90 mil so u definitly can get big bucks for them i play with us dollars by the way and u should try and see if u can get Luilinha for AMR he is pretty good but he wont be in ur db unless u loaded players from brasil

• 3 weeks later...

Good Idea, started a network game with my Portuguese friend who is using Benfica. Guess I will have to sign those players to new contracts

Posting my transfers and squad,

SportingClubedePortugal-SAD-2.png

SportingClubedePortugal-SAD.png

Sofiane is a * I heard so thats why i signed him for so much money. Saivet I signed based on Compensation and Moutihno is injured so thats why he is not playing.

How did I do?

I put a bid for him but he went to Stuttgart Instead, I am 7 games in 4W 1D and 3Losses, I have a huge inability to score, Liedson just came back from injury, is he any good as a striker?

I must admit my record is hurting because I am playing Sofiane Feghouli and Saivet because they are both wonderkids, and I don't want to hurt their development in any way

Archived