Official Fm09 Huddersfield Town Thread

jimmyriddle

logo2002.jpg

Huddersfield Town

Founded in 1908, Huddersfield Town are a professional English club currently playing in the Coca-Cola League 1. The club play their home games at The Galpharm Stadium and possess average training facilities and an average youth setup. The club is affectionately known as The Terriers and retains a feirce rivalry with Leeds United and Bradford City.

The club enjoyed probably their best spell of success during the 1920's. Although now enduring a twenty-eight year barren spell, having not won a competition since 1980, The Terriers still have a history of which they can be justly proud. Huddersfield won the English top division in 1924, 1925 and 1926 and finsihed runner-up on three occasions, won the FA Cup in 1922 and finished runners-up on four occasions, won the English 2nd tier for the only time in 1970 and finished runners-up on two occasions and won the Community Shield in 1922.

Information

Nation: England

Year Founded: See Centenary Year

Chairman Status: Loves the club

Legends: Frank Worthington, Denis Law, Herbert Chapman, Bill Shankly

Icons: None

Favoured Personnel: Andy Booth, Peter Jackson, Ronnie Jepson, Marcus Stweart, Jon Stead, Kevin Gray, Iffy Onuora, Chris Billy, Nico Vaesen, Neil Warnock, Rob Edwards, Darren Bullock and Tom Cowan

Fierce Rivals: Leeds, Bradford

Other Rivals: Barnsley, Oldham, Rotheram, Sheff Wed, Sheff Utd and Doncaster

Finances: Okay

Avg Ticket Price: £16

Avg S.Ticket Price: £100

S.Ticket Holders: 16200

E.Value: £3.2M (Loan Debt £3.2M)

C.Competition: None

Media Prediction: 8th

Squad Personality: Determined

Captain: Chris Lucketti

Vice-Captain: Andy Butler

Stadium and Facilities

Name: The Galpharm Stadium

Rent: £1.7M per year

Capacity: 24,500

Year Built: 1994

Stadium Condition: Good

Under Soil Heating: Yes

Roof: No

Surface: Grass

Pitch Dimensions: Length 106m Width 70m

Max Pitch Dimensions: Length 117m Width 75m

Pitch Condition: Perfect

Corporate Facilities: Top

Training Facilities: Average

Youth Facilities: Average + Youth Academy

Centenary Year

Centenary Year Huddersfield Town are celebrating a proud centenary this season, with the Huddersfield club having been founded in 1908 - exactly 100 years ago. In a short message, chairman Dean Hoyle has urged you to do everything possible to ensure that this proud club move gracefully into their 2nd century in football.

Staff

Chariman: Dean Hoyle

Directors: Ralph Rimmer, Ken Davy, Nigel Clibbens, Roger Armitage

Manager: Lee Clark

Ass.Man: Terry McDermott

1st Team Coach: Derek Fazackerley

Coach: Paul Stephenson

GK Coach: John Vaughan

Fitness Coach: Steve Black

Youth Coach: Graham Mitchell

Physio: Dave Buckby

Scout: Brian Young

Team Report

Terry McDermott believes that Huddersfield Town have a squad of players capable of achieving at least a top half finish in the Coca-Cola League 1. He is very pleased with the amount of depth of the squad and feels we can be confident that the players we have are capable of achieving what is required of them. Despite possessing a strong team, McDermott still feels that our weakest position is in goal. McDermott believes Gary Roberts to be one of the best players in the team at the moment and has picked out his coach report for you to have a look at.

Best Players

Position First Team Youth Team

Defender Andy Butler Joe Skarz

Midfielder Gary Roberts Lionel Ainsworth

Forward Keigan Parker Daniel Broadbent

Senior Line-Up

GK Matt Glennon - 4 stars

DR Andy Holdsworth - 6 stars

DL Dominik Werling - 5 stars

DC Nathan Clarke - 5 stars

DC Andy Butler - 6 stars

MR Gary Roberts - 6 stars (Star Player according to Ass.Man)

ML Anthony Pilkington - 6 stars

MC Michael Collins - 6 stars

MC Jim Goodwin - 6 stars

SC Andy Booth - 5 stars

SC Keigan Parker - 5 stars

Youth Line-Up

GK Alex Smithies - 4 stars

DR David Pickering - 1 star

DL Joe Skarz - 3 stars

DC Spencer Harris - 2 stars

DC Leigh Franks - 1 star

MR Lionel Ainsworth - 5 stars

ML Aidan Chippendale - 1 star

MC James Berrett - 5 stars

MC Tom Clarke - 2 stars

SC David Broadbent - 2 stars

SC James Spencer - 1 star

Recommendations to help the team

GK - There are obviously many about, and reccomended by Terry Mcdermott is Ian Walker, Ian Bennett and someone else who isn't very good. I would reccomend Ian Walker for your 1st season, but during this 1st season make sure you try and get another keeper signed as his stats will soon start decreasing.

SC - I reccomend buying Nathan Tyson from Nottingham Forest and trying to loan Fred Sears from West Ham, if you choose to have a big database there is also a player called Allesandro Matri who is worth £2M but you can buy him for £200k as that's his asking price.

DL - Terry McDermott reccomends two players: Marcos Painter and Matt Richards who are okish but probably wouldn't last if you get promoted to the Coca-Cola Championship so again i would recommend trying to loan Richard Eckersley or Fabio (although he is likely to reject you (just Fabio) from Man United.

DC - McDermott reccomends 3 players; Ian Brekcen, Cliff Byrne and Jody Craddock. All of them are at the same ability but in the long run Cliff Byrne is the best as he is the youngest of the 3 by about 4 years.

Alternatively you could try and find loan placements for all of the positions that need a bit of improvement but jsut remember make sure you find replacements for the long run as you may not be able to get the loans next season.

Season Expectations

The minimum expectation is that the team achieve a respectable league position with the Coca-Coca League 1 this season.

If you think the team can achieve greater things in the league then the board is willing to back you by increasing both the wage and transfer budgets to accommodate your aspirations. The club is currently spending £41,959 per week on wages

Balance of club at start: £1.33M

Expectation Transfer Budget Wage Budget

Top Half Finish £250k £38k p/w

Promotion £325k £43.5 p/w

Title Challenge £375k £44k p/w

Winner £400k £45k p/w

Tips to help The Terriers

Try loading extra leagues where you know there are good players

Make Sure you get a decent keeper lined up

If you get promoted make sure you have some players scouted who are good enough for the Coca-Cola Championship because not all the starting players will be able to help you in the Coca-Cola Championship (the best way is to see what kind of players clubs in the premiership don't offer contracts too and leave on a free at the end of the season)

Instead of using the 4-4-2 try the 4-3-3 or even the 3-5-2 as there is a lot of players who can play in midfield

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

Glad to see Huddersfield Town now has a link on the team guides page!

Despite being a frequent viewer of the forums, this is my first post.

I’m just about to complete my first season as Town manager in FM09 (version 9.03) and am amazed that I’ve won League One with two games to go.

I’m playing on an internet game and I’m not the host, but I’ll try and provide snapshots if required (next session is on Sunday) - will need to read up on how to post screen shots!

I’m just playing a standard 4-4-2 (although my centre halves aren’t running backwards as per the default), but I think I can put my success down to a couple of major factors:

1) Signing Kelvin Etuhu on a season-long loan – amazing player who has scored plenty of goals

2) My mate Fletch playing as Leeds – Although he’s currently in 2nd place and won the JPT, I think they would have been stronger competition if the computer had been managing them! :)

I’ve signed the following players on season-long loans:

Kelvin Etuhu from Man City – intended as cover for the right wing, but soon discovered he was a top striker - would recommend him to anyone. Will definitely try and loan him in the Championship!

Seb Hines from Middlesbrough – to cover Andy Holdsworth at right back and as an extra centre half.

Lukas Jutkiewicz from Everton – I originally wanted another decent young striker on loan and opted to emulate real life by getting him. I’m afraid that since I discovered Etuhu was a good striker, Lukas hasn’t had much of a look in.

Free signings – Ian Walker (as recommended by Terry McDermott) for goalkeeper and Seyfo Soley as an extra central midfielder (bit of a waste on my behalf as there are plenty of options for the central roles, but he was okay).

My starting XI did alternate a bit, but my first choice would be:-

Walker

Holdsworth; N Clarke; Butler; Werling

Ainsworth; Collins; Goodwin; Roberts

Etuhu; Parker

With Smithies, T Clarke, Worthington, Pilkington and Boothy on the bench, rotating as necessary (when Boothy’s on, I switch to target man – although that maybe pretty obvious!)

In version 9.03, there is an initial challenge to lower the wage bill, so I sold Danny Cadamarteri and Malvin Kamara at the beginning. Then the golden oldies of Lucketti and Unsworth were sold off in the January sales, along with Michael Flynn. I've also agreed the sale of Ian Craney for £200k at the end of the season (although I can't remember who to). Despite signing Ian Walker and having some decent young keepers in Smithies and Eastwood, I have forgotten to transfer list Glennon (I wanted to see if Walker was still okay, and then completely forgot about him - schoolboy error!).

One quick question I have is who (from my Huddersfield squad) do you think can survive in the Championship?

I think I'm going to have to make wholesale changes just to make a decent attempt at relegation survival...

Any suggestions for who to buy/sell would be most appreciated.

Cheers

I would keep a backbone of academy graduates eg Nathan Clarke, Michael Collins, Andy Holdsworth and also the likes of Gary Roberts and Ainsworth. Have a look in the premiership reserve squads for loan players and recently relegated teams across divisions. Hugo Colace from Barnsley, Matty Fryatt from Leicester, Simon Cox from Swindon and Rickie Lambert are all worth a shout. Also try the Eastern European national squads under 21's, some great players to be found and also Estonia. Anier and Prosa are both good.

Hope this helps.

Cheers m1234566778, that's very helpful advice!

Charlton and Southampton both got relegated (can't fault FM09 for realism!), but I can't remember the other one. Also, Leicester are below the play-offs so will look to see if I can lure any players away from them.

Thanks again.

Here are some photos of my league-winning team. Hope these snapshots (or links) work!

http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww290/jimbo148/HuddersfieldSquad.jpg

http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww290/jimbo148/LeagueTable.jpg

Right, now to look for some decent players for the Championship!

Have a look at Romania, they have some decent young players and also look in the Premiership reserve teams for some good loan players. And I would have a look at the free agents and transfer list on the search filter to find some cheap players. Check all of the under 21 national squads though. Hope this helps mate.

Thanks for the advice, I'll check out the Romanians now.

So far, I've managed to get Stephen Kelly, Godwin Antwi, Alexey Smertin, Matthew Paterson (decent-looking young Scottish striker from Southampton) and Darren Ward.

Thanks for the advice, I'll check out the Romanians now.

So far, I've managed to get Stephen Kelly, Godwin Antwi, Alexey Smertin, Matthew Paterson (decent-looking young Scottish striker from Southampton) and Darren Ward.

Definately target Constantin Gangioveanu, this guy should cost only 250k and can become a good EPL player :thup:

U Craiova want £1.7m for Gangioveanu. I've only got a transfer budget of £1.1m to avoid relegation... he does look good though.

I've managed to sign Liam Miller and David Connolly on freebies. I'm continuing the search in Eastern Europe.

Thats weird, he usually only costs 250k. Also theres a young goalkeeper, who's around 19 who plays for FC Timisoara who develops into a world class player, try him.

EDIT: Just remembered....it's something like Costel Pantilimon.

got an awesome save as Huddersfield at the moment, got promoted 1st season in 2nd place, 2nd season im top in championship and its mid march. good buys are zuculini, Binya, cevasco, Delgado, guindo, anier and kozlov. Butler and Skarz are worth keeping aswell as holdsworth and i still have gary roberts as back up lol!

Finally got round to posting my screenshots!

Currently in the prem after 2 successive promotions as runners up in League 1 and Champions of the championship. At the moment im 13th in the prem and it looks good for staying up.

Heres my team and transfer history

hudders-1.jpg

season3transfers.jpg

Season2transfer.jpg

Transferseason1.jpg

Finally got round to posting my screenshots!

Currently in the prem after 2 successive promotions as runners up in League 1 and Champions of the championship. At the moment im 13th in the prem and it looks good for staying up.

Heres my team and transfer history

hudders-1.jpg

season3transfers.jpg

Season2transfer.jpg

Transferseason1.jpg

Well done in reaching the Prem. Only one question. Why did you sell Mascio so cheap in season 2, he's a great little player, Premiership class!

hahaha, oh yeah Mascio. I loaned him out for 600k cos i wanted funds to try and get Zuculini to sign a new contract. Because it was a net game and already past a transfer window i loaned him to a friend for 600k with a 2k future fee :)

In the end as you can see Zuculini still left for torino :@

hahaha, oh yeah Mascio. I loaned him out for 600k cos i wanted funds to try and get Zuculini to sign a new contract. Because it was a net game and already past a transfer window i loaned him to a friend for 600k with a 2k future fee :)

In the end as you can see Zuculini still left for torino :@

Didn't go quite to plan, you lost 2 top quality player :( Never mind ;)

In my 4th season with Hudd :D and would like to say i got promoted from league 1 coming second then winning the play-offs 1-0 against Stoke. I had a season in the prem coming in a cool 13th place. This season i have around 30 mill to splash and im looking for one CB one CM and one ST all around 10 mill. I have bids accepted and they would all come in CB - Taras Mykhalyk, Miranda and Anderson Martins CM - Ever Banega, Fernandinho and Diego Souza ST - Bendtner, Falcao and Christian Benitez. I am askin who i should buy, i will remind you again that i only want one CB one CM and one ST?

Hi, I started with Huddersfield an Internet game with 4 friends and managed to take 2nd place and get a promotion on my 1st seazon. Players I signed are:

Soto - 36 years for around 300k - AMC Old but very experienced with 100 international matches

Soley - DMC on a free transfer

Mizuno - AMR from Celtic I think for 320 k

other 2 players that can be taken but I did not until the 2nd seazon are Jerel Ifil - DC and Ezomo Ikiepen also DC. They are my DC now in the Championship.

Also I took on loan Fabio from Man Utd

On the second seazon I just started to build up a Premiership TEam and finished 10th in the championship, but managed to get some very good players that needed time to gel and develop. I signed

Krivets AMRC- from BAte

Deac LC - do not remember where he played

Jerel Ifil and Izomo Ikiepen as DCs

Mark Yates AMRL

Murphy from Hearts on a free and Haper from Woolves - GKs

One of my best transfers are Palazueos(not sure for the name spelling) - DMC who and Ruben Ramos on a Free - SC

I also Signed Kalonas Mindauskas (DMC) and Kapsa SC and Luis Bolanos DRL

Now I am on my 3rd season and 8 matches to go stand 3rd 6 points from 2nd place in the league. It is not a good result for the 3rd season for me but I had 6 players injured at one time for 6 matches and i lost 5 and made 1 draw and that is why I am not in the 1st on 2nd place now.

In this 3rd season I signed some very good players and when all is available it is very hard my team to be stopped:

Leo - DC

Martin and Harding - WL

Ribeiro - DC

Garvan MC

Perez - SC

The only weak part of my team is the Attackers as I have there Ramos, Kapsa and Perez but only the 1st one scores a lot the other two are 19 and need time to develop. However the M are scoring a lot and of course Leo is beast at corners!

I hope I will manage to get in Premiership this season so if you know any good signings at a good price this will help a lot. Ah just to mention i was bought by Arabs my 2nd season so I think I will have a good budget if i am promoted :)

I dont many of you're players, but i know for a fact that Garvan is very good. As for attackers you could try Kadlec as a youngster or Cristaldo, both could be pretty cheap. Have a look if Ocirosii(sp) and gioventeau(sp) both are in the Romania squad and are good LW also Helder Barbosa is very good, i picked him up for 200k and playingt well in the prem. As for the RW try Sarki on loan and see what Anier is doing for ST!

I will update my season with my current squad and transfers as soon as i finish my 3rd and 1st season in the premiership!

I dont many of you're players, but i know for a fact that Garvan is very good. As for attackers you could try Kadlec as a youngster or Cristaldo, both could be pretty cheap. Have a look if Ocirosii(sp) and gioventeau(sp) both are in the Romania squad and are good LW also Helder Barbosa is very good, i picked him up for 200k and playingt well in the prem. As for the RW try Sarki on loan and see what Anier is doing for ST!

I will update my season with my current squad and transfers as soon as i finish my 3rd and 1st season in the premiership!

Hi,

Thanks for these, I will chekc for them after finishing the 3ed season.

ok so i finally finished my degree and so can now play FM. I started with Hudds yesterday using the 9.3 patch.

So far this is what i've done

I took some advice from this thread and got Kelvin Etuhu in loan, also got in Andy Carroll on loan. Both put in a few goals in 6 games or so, unfortunately both have had a couple of short term injuries.

Got in a new scount and sent him off to Ireland. He found me a cracking Goal keeper called Brian Murphey. Didnt cost much

got rid of cadermateri, jevons, kamara and worthington (not a popular choice but stand your ground and players respect you)

brought it Soley for a free and a right back called Laure from Deportivo, he was on the transfer list valued at over £1m, asking price of 100k. so far, not amazing but solid and improving. Also Robbie Williams is playing brilliantly.

Won 6 out of first 7 games but then got blasted with injuries to Etuhu, Carroll, Pilkington, Ainsworth. So lost a couple of 1-0's. Just signed Anier for 110k. Big contract though, need to offload more players in January. Looking to get rid of Flynn, Craney, Glennon, Unsworth, Lucketti

ok so i finally finished my degree and so can now play FM. I started with Hudds yesterday using the 9.3 patch.

So far this is what i've done

I took some advice from this thread and got Kelvin Etuhu in loan, also got in Andy Carroll on loan. Both put in a few goals in 6 games or so, unfortunately both have had a couple of short term injuries.

Got in a new scount and sent him off to Ireland. He found me a cracking Goal keeper called Brian Murphey. Didnt cost much

got rid of cadermateri, jevons, kamara and worthington (not a popular choice but stand your ground and players respect you)

brought it Soley for a free and a right back called Laure from Deportivo, he was on the transfer list valued at over £1m, asking price of 100k. so far, not amazing but solid and improving. Also Robbie Williams is playing brilliantly.

Won 6 out of first 7 games but then got blasted with injuries to Etuhu, Carroll, Pilkington, Ainsworth. So lost a couple of 1-0's. Just signed Anier for 110k. Big contract though, need to offload more players in January. Looking to get rid of Flynn, Craney, Glennon, Unsworth, Lucketti

I think you're getting rid of the right players. Unsworth and Lucketti are taking a serious chunk of the wage budget. And there are so many options in the centre of midfield that I never really used Flynn or Craney. Good work on signing Etuhu and Carroll, they should do the business... once they come back from injury. Best of luck!

Bizarrely enough I managed to get Huddersfield promoted in my first season with Peter Clarke and Andy Butler as a rock solid defensive partnership (beat L***s in semi-final and Millwall in play off final!).. Nathan Tyson was ok as was Keigan Parker but found them both too moody tbh. Manager to sell Tyson for 1million and bought Dexter Blackstock, who banged in a few goals. My keeper was Wayne Henderson signed from Wolves, and picked up Sam Hewson from Man United on a free in central midfield.

In the championship my centre halves are Sean O'Hanlon and Paul Reid, probably need to get a bit more quality in there as I have had 2 mid table finishes now in Championship. Need a new keeper as Henderson was bought by Inter Milan for 2 mill!

My 3rd season finished unfortunatelly I failed to enter Premier League as I was beaten 2-1 in the Playoffs final by my friend who plays with Wolves. I dominated the whole game but as it happens simetimes the GK of the opponent was great and he scored 2 Long shot goals - 2 shots - 2 goals :( and the secons one was in 82 minute.

So not I am starting the fourth season with 15 mil to spend and most of the players I proposed either did not want to come or did not get Work Permits. So I decided to buy 2-3 quality players than to buy 5-6 middle class. I managed to get Accuna - SC who can play as AMRL and a very Good AML - Alex. I got for 300 k a universal DMC who can play at almost all positions on the field and one great DMC. Now I started the friendly matches and won 6-0 agains Walsall, lost 3-1 from Celtic with missed penalty and goal disallowed and a lot of shots saved by their GK. 3rd match was agains Everton which I won 1-0. Last will be against my friend who managed to get a promotion with Wolves. It seems to be very good season but there are 2-3 very good teams to compete with. Just to strengten my team can you advise for any good players on loan ( i am 4th season now). I need especially DC, MC

Unlucky in the play-offs Stoyan D, hopefully you can go up next season. For loan players it's hard because your in season 4 and it's going to be different too other peoples games. The only thing I think you could do is look through some of the team with the best youth academies and see if you see any decent players.

I just finished 13th in my first season in the premiership, pipped to 12th on the last day by blackburn due to a thumping 4-0 away loss at Arsenal. Going into my 4th season im gonna be aiming for top half finish and hopefully even 7th and getting into europe! *fingers crossed*

Screenshots of signings to follow! :D

Archived