FM2009: Palmeiras Project

Skinaldo

501px-Palmeiras_logo.svg.png

Sociedade Esportiva Palmeiras, usually called Palmeiras, is a Brazilian football team from São Paulo. The team was founded on August 26, 1914, as Società Sportiva Palestra Italia but changed to the current name on September 14, 1942. It is one of the most popular and traditional Brazilian clubs

History

Foundation and name

Palmeiras was founded by Luigi Cervo, Vicenzo Ragognetti, Luigi Emanuele Marzo and Ezequiel Simone, four Italian men who were members of the Italian-speaking community of São Paulo and was initially named Palestra Italia. Its original colors were red, white and green (those of Italy). The name change occurred during World War II. Brazil entered the war supporting the allies and its dictatorship forced Palestra Italia to change its name because of the reference to Italy. The original badge (a white ornamental "P" in a shield) is still present in the current one and the club has used red as a third colour (mostly in friendship games during the club's 75th anniversary).

Several other clubs whose names alluded to enemy foreign countries either disappeared (like Germania) or were renamed during the same period. Another Brazilian club that was once also called Palestra Italia is Cruzeiro Esporte Clube, from Belo Horizonte, Minas Gerais. However Palmeiras was the original Palestra Italia, since it was founded about a decade before Cruzeiro.

Champion of The Century

In its history, the club has won 22 championships of the State of São Paulo and 5 Rio-São Paulo Tournament, but the most important titles have been 6 national league titles ( 4 Campeonato Brasileiros and 2 Torneios Roberto Gomes Pedrosa), 4 national cups (1 Brazil Cup, 2 Taças Brasil and 1 Brazilian Champion's Cup), 1 Libertadores Cup, 1 Mercosur Cup and the 1951 Copa Rio . Palmeiras is recognised as one of Brazil's most victorious clubs. In 1999, the Club was claimed by Federação Paulista de Futebol 'Champion of The 20th Century' in Brazil.

Palmeiras plays home games at the Palestra Italia Stadium. In the past its capacity was listed as 35,000 spectators. However, even though its grandstands have been extended in the late 1990s, currently it seats 27,640 people [2] due to regulations enforcing improved safety and comfort. The venue is also known as Parque Antártica because the area was a park built by Antarctica Paulista Company in the beginning of the last century, being acquired by Palmeiras in 1920.

Local derbies against São Paulo are still played at home while derbies against Corinthians are usually played in larger stadium.

There is a rebuild in course to reformulate all installation until Dec 2010. The project offers the first FIFA ready stadium in South America, announcing as Multi Purpose Events Arena (shows, seminars, meetings, parties, etc.). Capacitiy will be increased upt to 40,000 seats and 2,000 press staff, on soccer games. Many other facilities will be in place as: enhanced parking area, VIP area, 03 Restaurant and Bar, Helicopter Point, etc.

Club colours

Evolution of Palmeiras crest

Palmeiras first kit is of green jerseys, white shorts and green socks. Palmeiras first jersey was green with a horizontal white band across, with a red and white Savoy cross as crest [3]. Palmeiras have played in blue shirts twice as a tribute to the Italian National Team.

Since 2007 Palmeiras has also been using a third jersey, which is a light yellow shirt with a dark green shorts and socks.

Supporters

• According to the last research (Datafolha 2007) Palmeiras is tied with São Paulo as the third most supported team in Brazil.

• The club's official mascot is a green parakeet. However, during the mid-1940s, fans of Palmeiras' rival São Paulo, would refer to the team as "Pig," and soon after, other teams would follow.,[4] Although the parakeet is the official mascot, fans will refer to and yell: "PORCO!" (Pig) enthusiastically during matches, as the pig became their better known mascot.

• Traditionally, Palmeiras is a club supported by the Italian descendants. Nowadays, however, the club is supported by every kind of people.

• Palmeiras biggest ultras are Mancha Alvi-Verde (in English: White and Green Stain), TUP (which is the oldest ultra), Acadêmicos da Savóia, Porks and others.

Rivals

Palmeiras' biggest rival is Corinthians. The rivalry between the two clubs is considered one of the most intense in the world, and their matches are known as The Paulista Derby. São Paulo FC is another direct rival; the games between the two clubs are called Choque Rei (King Clash).

Palmeiras B team

Main article: Sociedade Esportiva Palmeiras B

Palmeiras has a "second" team that plays the third division of the Paulista Championship (Série A3).

Cultural references

Palmeiras was featured heavily in the film O Casamento de Romeu e Julieta where the rivalry between Palmeiras and Corinthians plays a major role in the plot.

Current squad

No. Position Player

MF

Sandro Silva

DF

Edmílson (vice-captain)

DF

Jeci

MF

Pierre

DF

Pablo Armero

MF

Diego Souza

MF

Willians

FW

Keirrison

MF

Cleiton Xavier

FW

Marquinhos

GK

Marcos (captain)

DF

Marcão

DF

Fabinho Capixaba

DF

Maurício Ramos

DF

Jefferson

No. Position Player

MF

Wendel

MF

Jumar

FW

Lenny

FW

Max

MF

Souza

GK

Deola

DF

Danilo

DF

Paulo Miranda

MF

Deyvid Sacconi

MF

Evandro

FW

Daniel Lovinho

FW

José Ortigoza

DF

Maurício

GK

Bruno

2009 Transfers

In:

• Keirrison Transferred from Coritiba FC

• Cleiton Xavier Transferred from Figueirense

• Marquinhos Transferred from Vitória

• Danilo Transferred from Clube Atlético Paranaense

• Maurício Ramos Transferred from Vitória

• Armero Transferred from America de Cali

• Daniel Lovinho Transferred from Palmeiras B

• Souza Transferred from Palmeiras B

• Alemão Transferred from Palmeiras B

• Rafael Transferred from Palmeiras B

• Edmilson Transferred from Villarreal CF

• José Ortigoza Transferred from Sol de America

• Marcão from Inter

Out:

• Elder Granja Transferred to Clube Atlético Mineiro

• Leandro Transferred to Fluminense

• Martinez Transferred to Cerezo Osaka

• Denílson Relased

• Paulo Sérgio Transferred to Vasco da Gama

• Jorge Preá Transferred to Clube Atlético Paranaense

• Leo Lima Transferred to Vasco da Gama

• Roque Júnior Released

• Alex Mineiro Transferred to Grêmio

• Washington Transferred to Vitória

• Thiago Gomes Transferred to Vitória

• William Transferred to Vitória

• Thiago Cunha Transferred to Ituano

• Gladstone Returns to Cruzeiro

• Kleber Giacomance de Souza Freitas Transferred to Cruzeiro

• Gustavo Transferred to Cruzeiro

Firstly id like to apologize if this OP is unclear .

And also if i could ask Hopey to add club badge if possible ? i copied it into thread but not appearing .

Basically,im calling this " The Palmeiras Project " as its going to be some changed made,not only to the squad,but the club in General .

So here it is .....

Firstly im creating an ALL Brazilian club,alll staff members and players will be Brazilian

2) My average age is currently 25 , after selling every1 except 2/3 players whom i feel are vital to progress the youngsters , ie , Marcos etc .

3) my signings - Made Gabriel Silva a permanent signing , £14k is a steal , the boys fantastic .

- Signed Wagner from Gremio , hes 19 and a really solid CB , ( £850k)

thats all my signings as i say , my project is to bring about 90% of my youth academy through to the first team , and sign only a few players whom i fancy.

started off the season in great form , however keirrison is injured , but now playing Marquinhos in his place - whos becoming my favourite player in FM as he can just do anything with a football .

My current starting X11 : 4-4-2 flat formation & havent lost a single game as of yet

GK : Marcos

DR : David (my brazilian Santon lol )

DL : Jefferson

DC :Edmilson

DC : Wagner

MR :Evandro

ML :Marquinhos

MC : Diego Souza

MC :Pierre

SC :Keirrison

SC :Max / Lenny - i know he seems to have poor attributes but he performs well above them , no1 can tackle him .

so basically il say no more and get back to playing , its really so much fun , bit of a break from managing in europe etc .

P.s. These clubs really produce some great youngsters and unreal Regens !

add me on msn if you want a chat / advice : skinaldo7@hotmail.com

Regards

yeh had Bernardo a few times , great playmaker , had him beside Riquelme at Boca was awesome ! Walter also can turn out excellent player too .

check out those two signings i made there mate , really are good players . obviously for this standard of football anyway .

oh , beaten by Corinthians 2-1 . shame really , tho i did have a lot of injuries in fairness and Ronaldo was fab .

Take a look at Hugo the DC from Desportivo Brasil I got him for under 20k with Crewe and the board sold him one seaosn later for £2.5 million. Also check out the striker who is on loan at Pescara his name begins with an I he turns into an awesome player and can be bought pretty cheaply.

Brasil is fun. I just finished a 4 season game with Fluminense in which I finally won the Copa Lib. Because of the class regens and the lack of prize money, there tend to be more teams challenging and even the low end teams have some quality technical players. Combine that with the vast number of games and you have a real challenge on your hands.

Take a look at Hugo the DC from Desportivo Brasil I got him for under 20k with Crewe and the board sold him one seaosn later for £2.5 million. Also check out the striker who is on loan at Pescara his name begins with an I he turns into an awesome player and can be bought pretty cheaply.

That 'I guy' would be Victor Irineu I guess? :D

thanks TigerJoe . yeh Irineu is good little player,remember the thread on him few weeks ago .

well ive been working lots lately , so much travelling . hope to get a good session later on after Football .

its just amazing the abundance of young quality players available and cheap . i was actually in Brazil last year in Sao Paulo playing with a friend in a fourth division game and even the defenders in that game were class lol they were nut megging our players and everything hehe .

back later guys

• 1 month later...

boo on Palmeiras...Flamengo all the way (Y)

Anyway i got to tell you about players that seem to be doing it for me... Problem is its not really a challenge atm as its the Rio de janiro state championship and we d*ck on all of the teams.....moved from norwich sold anyone 30 + and had so much money i just brought all good prospects because the team was quite established...

Marquinhos moved else where :(

Players worth a punt if your in trouble/ sell people on...

Vandinho- Striker wasnt impressed by his stats when i arrived and was going to sell him on because he has monies high haha. Scores for fun though.

Erick Flores- only 20 and is a bit of a star...stats looking good and definate improvement.

Bruno- Goalkeeper... seems excellent..

Everton- LM and CM and AMC...pure awsome

And i bought in two that HoPeY gave me... Sandro and Bernardo...both have been great...

I was also running low on CB and got Bruno Neves in.

Everybody should know about Airton as well seems a superb little DMC and then there is

Felipe Mattioni who was bought for a measly 26k CANT GO WRONG!

• 2 months later...

£1.6 Million atm, so far I've signed Cafu (free), Appiah (free), Assencao (Loan) and Sandro (600k) from Inter.

Team atm.

Marcos

Wendel Edmilson Jeci Jefferson

Assuncao/Appiah

William Souza/Sandro Lenny

Keirrison Marquinos

Seems like Martins is little out of my budge atm. Could sell a few players I guess.

I've checked in all their teams (U20, Reseveres, First Team) several times and I can't find him, going after Morais now.

Bought a 16 year old kid called Nicao who we had on loan at the start the coaches rate him highly. Also got a great 15 year old regen who was named player of his generation, who already looks good.

Archived