FM addiction almost killed me

bomjr

Hello everyone. This is my first time to ever particiate in the forums. I'm new to all this stuff really.

I'm 36 Married since 22 with a son who just turned 15 (thats what you get for not wearing protection) Work as an editor for a car magazine in Manila. Just started playing FM06 (or any other game in fact) 5 months ago. I must say, I'm pretty old to be playing games like these, but what do you expect when you have a teenager in the house :-)

Just would like to share a true story about me, and about my addiction with this game (which is probably the first ever computer game I've ever played) and almost ruined my family and got me killed. (I'm not boycotting FM just so you know)

It all began when my family would all snuggle up in the living room to watch football every saturday. I noticed my son would always complain about how teams should play, and my wife would just be busy feeding him with popcorn (I have a very close loving family of my own) So one day I decided to look for a football game that my son could actually relate to, and that his thoughts could acutally make a difference.

And so I found this game called FM06. Not knowing anything about VDO games, I got him one for his birthday. His happiness was cut short thought cuz the house only had a pentium2 windows ME. I didn't know anything about requirements until that day. So to keep him happy, I had to buy a whole new computer, just for him to be able to play that game. Grrrr.

After all the unexpected spending on a new pentium 4 windows XP (Don't know the difference really) my son was hooked right away. He would play 3 teams in one setting. Of course, home work first before playing. But he would play til 12AM which is very bad for a young teenager. He was so hooked to it, we had to make a time schedule when he could play and when not. And mind you, he plays til the last minute.

Curios as I was, why my son, a good student and obedient person, became a buig FM fan, I decided to give it a go for once. (Being over 30 and never played any other game on the computer exept for Solitare and Pinball, I tought it was time for a change).

So there I was. Choosing my team (Arsenal) and wow I was amazed. I could buy, sell, replace and make tactics! It was deeper than I thought. (When I first bought it for my son, I son it was as simple as tetris or marios, but that wasn't the case)

I could actually choose my line up. It gave me an imagination that the world looked so real. (Its my first time, so don't blame me) At first, I played it casually, asking my son for some coaching on things like "work permit" or "ineligable". But once I got the hang of things... I had to bring this stuff to my office. (Wouldn't want my wife to catch me slacking off, or else I'd turn her off in bed)

Since computers in the office couldn't meet the games requirements... I settled for the home computer (Which I could only play when everyone is asleep. My family probably thought I was working overtime) But my desire to play more grew. I wanted to know what would happen next, how will the young guns grow, who will win the world cup. I need to play more!

So I bought a new top of the line laptop. I'm not really a top earner in the world, so if my wife knew (Who's only an English teacher) that I spent a whole month's salary on a flat square like gadget, she would kill me.

I got my laptop. I played during office hours, lunch time, and even go on holiday while I was driving to work. I lost focus. My world became FM. I only had a few glimps of reality, and then back to FM. Season after to season I played. Lesser time was spent on my family. And my wife was starting to snoop around. (Actually, she has been snooping around ever since I would sneak down to the Pentium4 playing FM... she knows I play it often.)

One day, dinner, everyone on the table. My wife brought it up. She asked why did I bought a very expensive laptop with out telling her. I told her it was my personal choice (I can't believe I said that really) and she blew up by telling me that this is a family that deserves to know everything about me (and she was right acutally) but when mentioned about me playing that game day and night... I snapped.

We argued about me being hooked with this game, and not paying attention to my job and family. I needed to find a good excuse, but I didn't have any. So I threw the blame on my son. I told my wife that because my son played it, I became hooked as well. My son stood up and said "Well you shouldn't have bought me that game in the first place! I hate you! (I would never forget those words... and it still rings in my ear once in awhile.

My son ran up to his room. My wife could not believe I just did that. (So did I) She left the table and went after my son. I sat down at the dinner table... opened my laptop... and played FM just to shrugg it off. No one in the family bothered to talk to me everysince. But everytime those things came to my head, I would always open up FM to escape the bother.

One day I was off to work. Traffic was so heavy that time. So i decided to dive into FM once more. It was the champions league final. Arsenal year 2022. Wow, this is it. A chance to win one in the car. Plus I can start a new season when I get to the office. what a bargain! and so I was driving and playing at the same time. I got one eye on the laptop, and one eye on the road. (Its a matter of speaking. Techinically thats not possible) I was driving only 40Kph, and the next thing you know it, everything went black...

I woke up one day and I found myself on a bed with an annoying beep beside my ear. I had a tube stuck into my mouth, and couldn't twitch a muscle. I was in the ICU. Alejandria Memorial hospital. When the nurse found out I was awake, a whole team of people in while came at me, then everything was black again.

Again I woke up. This time, only the annoying beeb beside my ear. It was a heart beat machine or something like that. No more tube in my mouth, and I could finally move. My wife was sitting beside me reading me stories. Her eyes and cheeks were red, probably from crying. Damn I felt so bad not just physically, but emotionally. Guilt ran through my head (And a little bit of FM, wondering if I won the finals or not)

I moved my hand and touched her lap. My wife gasped like she saw a ghost. She jumped at me and hugged me like crazy. (I still coundn't speak, but if I could, I would have told her how painful it was when she did that). She told me I've been out for 3 days. I passed a red light when I was driving and slammed through on comming traffic.

3 cars ran in to me. I broke my jaw, my ribs, and both legs. Luckily my head was intact. I was in the hospital for a month, and when I started to talk, I told my wife everything. My addiction, my laptop in the car... everything. I never wanted my son to come to the hospital cuz I didn't want him to see me like that.

When I was able to get out of the hospital (Still in a wheel chair) Cops wre all over me. Insurance paid for some of the damage, but I had to pay a lot for the other cars, plus breaking the law. (No one else was hurt by the way). I made it up to my son and my wife. Thankfully, I still kept my job as an editor. Even if I would go to the office in a wheel chair, it was all cool.

Today, I spend every minute I could spare with my family. I'm even closer to my son now, and my marriage coudn't be any stronger. Still paying off the debt for the damage I made. But coping with it well. I quite playing FM eventhough my son still plays it like crazy. I guess games are just not for me. Still in a wheel chair, but recovering well. Doc says I'll be back on my feet by next year. Still an editor as usual, although people in the office would tease me everytime I visit the comfort room.

I hope this story can serve as a reminder to great FM fans that Family must always come first. The important things must always be put infront... FM can wait. There are a lot of players addicted with FM today and neglect the loving world around them. FM is a great game, but thats what it will always be... a great game. Its just a game. It can be replaced. But life cannot. All is said in the name of good will.

This is my story. Thank you for reading, and I hope you enjoyed it.

Hello everyone. This is my first time to ever particiate in the forums. I'm new to all this stuff really.

I'm 36 Married since 22 with a son who just turned 15 (thats what you get for not wearing protection) Work as an editor for a car magazine in Manila. Just started playing FM06 (or any other game in fact) 5 months ago. I must say, I'm pretty old to be playing games like these, but what do you expect when you have a teenager in the house :-)

Just would like to share a true story about me, and about my addiction with this game (which is probably the first ever computer game I've ever played) and almost ruined my family and got me killed. (I'm not boycotting FM just so you know)

It all began when my family would all snuggle up in the living room to watch football every saturday. I noticed my son would always complain about how teams should play, and my wife would just be busy feeding him with popcorn (I have a very close loving family of my own) So one day I decided to look for a football game that my son could actually relate to, and that his thoughts could acutally make a difference.

And so I found this game called FM06. Not knowing anything about VDO games, I got him one for his birthday. His happiness was cut short thought cuz the house only had a pentium2 windows ME. I didn't know anything about requirements until that day. So to keep him happy, I had to buy a whole new computer, just for him to be able to play that game. Grrrr.

After all the unexpected spending on a new pentium 4 windows XP (Don't know the difference really) my son was hooked right away. He would play 3 teams in one setting. Of course, home work first before playing. But he would play til 12AM which is very bad for a young teenager. He was so hooked to it, we had to make a time schedule when he could play and when not. And mind you, he plays til the last minute.

Curios as I was, why my son, a good student and obedient person, became a buig FM fan, I decided to give it a go for once. (Being over 30 and never played any other game on the computer exept for Solitare and Pinball, I tought it was time for a change).

So there I was. Choosing my team (Arsenal) and wow I was amazed. I could buy, sell, replace and make tactics! It was deeper than I thought. (When I first bought it for my son, I son it was as simple as tetris or marios, but that wasn't the case)

I could actually choose my line up. It gave me an imagination that the world looked so real. (Its my first time, so don't blame me) At first, I played it casually, asking my son for some coaching on things like "work permit" or "ineligable". But once I got the hang of things... I had to bring this stuff to my office. (Wouldn't want my wife to catch me slacking off, or else I'd turn her off in bed)

Since computers in the office couldn't meet the games requirements... I settled for the home computer (Which I could only play when everyone is asleep. My family probably thought I was working overtime) But my desire to play more grew. I wanted to know what would happen next, how will the young guns grow, who will win the world cup. I need to play more!

So I bought a new top of the line laptop. I'm not really a top earner in the world, so if my wife knew (Who's only an English teacher) that I spent a whole month's salary on a flat square like gadget, she would kill me.

I got my laptop. I played during office hours, lunch time, and even go on holiday while I was driving to work. I lost focus. My world became FM. I only had a few glimps of reality, and then back to FM. Season after to season I played. Lesser time was spent on my family. And my wife was starting to snoop around. (Actually, she has been snooping around ever since I would sneak down to the Pentium4 playing FM... she knows I play it often.)

One day, dinner, everyone on the table. My wife brought it up. She asked why did I bought a very expensive laptop with out telling her. I told her it was my personal choice (I can't believe I said that really) and she blew up by telling me that this is a family that deserves to know everything about me (and she was right acutally) but when mentioned about me playing that game day and night... I snapped.

We argued about me being hooked with this game, and not paying attention to my job and family. I needed to find a good excuse, but I didn't have any. So I threw the blame on my son. I told my wife that because my son played it, I became hooked as well. My son stood up and said "Well you shouldn't have bought me that game in the first place! I hate you! (I would never forget those words... and it still rings in my ear once in awhile.

My son ran up to his room. My wife could not believe I just did that. (So did I) She left the table and went after my son. I sat down at the dinner table... opened my laptop... and played FM just to shrugg it off. No one in the family bothered to talk to me everysince. But everytime those things came to my head, I would always open up FM to escape the bother.

One day I was off to work. Traffic was so heavy that time. So i decided to dive into FM once more. It was the champions league final. Arsenal year 2022. Wow, this is it. A chance to win one in the car. Plus I can start a new season when I get to the office. what a bargain! and so I was driving and playing at the same time. I got one eye on the laptop, and one eye on the road. (Its a matter of speaking. Techinically thats not possible) I was driving only 40Kph, and the next thing you know it, everything went black...

I woke up one day and I found myself on a bed with an annoying beep beside my ear. I had a tube stuck into my mouth, and couldn't twitch a muscle. I was in the ICU. Alejandria Memorial hospital. When the nurse found out I was awake, a whole team of people in while came at me, then everything was black again.

Again I woke up. This time, only the annoying beeb beside my ear. It was a heart beat machine or something like that. No more tube in my mouth, and I could finally move. My wife was sitting beside me reading me stories. Her eyes and cheeks were red, probably from crying. Damn I felt so bad not just physically, but emotionally. Guilt ran through my head (And a little bit of FM, wondering if I won the finals or not)

I moved my hand and touched her lap. My wife gasped like she saw a ghost. She jumped at me and hugged me like crazy. (I still coundn't speak, but if I could, I would have told her how painful it was when she did that). She told me I've been out for 3 days. I passed a red light when I was driving and slammed through on comming traffic.

3 cars ran in to me. I broke my jaw, my ribs, and both legs. Luckily my head was intact. I was in the hospital for a month, and when I started to talk, I told my wife everything. My addiction, my laptop in the car... everything. I never wanted my son to come to the hospital cuz I didn't want him to see me like that.

When I was able to get out of the hospital (Still in a wheel chair) Cops wre all over me. Insurance paid for some of the damage, but I had to pay a lot for the other cars, plus breaking the law. (No one else was hurt by the way). I made it up to my son and my wife. Thankfully, I still kept my job as an editor. Even if I would go to the office in a wheel chair, it was all cool.

Today, I spend every minute I could spare with my family. I'm even closer to my son now, and my marriage coudn't be any stronger. Still paying off the debt for the damage I made. But coping with it well. I quite playing FM eventhough my son still plays it like crazy. I guess games are just not for me. Still in a wheel chair, but recovering well. Doc says I'll be back on my feet by next year. Still an editor as usual, although people in the office would tease me everytime I visit the comfort room.

I hope this story can serve as a reminder to great FM fans that Family must always come first. The important things must always be put infront... FM can wait. There are a lot of players addicted with FM today and neglect the loving world around them. FM is a great game, but thats what it will always be... a great game. Its just a game. It can be replaced. But life cannot. All is said in the name of good will.

This is my story. Thank you for reading, and I hope you enjoyed it.

Woah, you actually read my long story? Wow, thank you. I never thought people would be interested in a long boring essay with a moral lesson.

Well, now that you mentioned it. Yes maybe a health and safety warning would be nice. I just wanted to share a moral lesson that I've learned the hard way.

Games like these are great, but kids should do something else as well. After all, games are just games. They won't go away. Although I love FM, but still... its just a game. (I bet some FM fans will kill me for saying this) hehehe.

I heard people play for hours non-stop. Their social life deteriorates, they neglect the bodies needs, all for the sake of mental satifaction... which is playing FM. Am I right?

Yes Jack South, it does ruin your sex life. Especially now that I'm still in a wheel chair, I can't even have my wife do all the work in bed for me! hehehe. (don't tell her I said that though).

Did I win the Champion's league final in 2022? Hmmm... I guess I'll never know. It was still 0-0 against Chelsea before the black out. But I assume we beat them 3-0! hehehe, My laptop was totalled as well, and the warrantee won't cover it. Grrrr.

What's so disturbing about my story HD?

Oh, and Saxonator, thank you for reading my story. Never thought people would bother acutally.

Yeah, family problems have been stable. The only big problem is not being able to do any action in bed with my wife til next month. hehehe. Doctor's warnings.

And the health and safety warning should be in huge big letters before that start of the game, not tucked away in a nice cozy corner. But really, its up to the people who play the game. I heard in Korea and Japan, people have shut off from the real world. Games like Ragnarok, World of Warcraft, and all that. Scary...

• 2 weeks later...

This is my update after the traumatic experience. Since people would always ask me what happens next, I'll just write down abit more after popular demands.

Ok, so I quit playing FM06 after getting out of the hospital. But my son still plays it. My wife keeps scolding my son for playing it infront of me, but I told her I'm ok. I'm not suffering any mental issues with the game. I just simply got addicted. (Can't blame me, its my first ever game).

My son still plays FM and always talks about it with his friends. My wife is even getting the hang of the game. Although she keeps complaining why there aren't any women leagues around, and any female names at all in the game.

Now I'm facing a real test to myself. Since FM07 is about to come out, I felt very curious on what the difference may be. I'm as excited as my son, but I fear that my addiction might comeback again.

Is it wrong for me to play a game I so love? I'm an adult now. I should know how to controll my habits. I tell my wife openly that yes, I will try playing FM07. She is concerned. But I told her in a moral fasion that I must face my fears. I can't keep running away. I don't want my son to stop playing when I'm around. I'm not mentally sick!!!

But as for now, I won't get the demo. I'll hold myself til the last minute. I'll get 07 for my son, and maybe watch him play it first. My relatives think I'm insane. But reality is... I just so love the game and the way it works.

I'm on a wheel chair, scrolling around the internet cafes watching kids play FM like it was their lifestyle... no longer a hobbie.

I can still remember how it felt being addicted. Your entire surrounding becomes dark and non existent... your mind, focused on the screen. Everything around you just isn't happening. You world is in the game... that was how it felt. I fear that it may come back again... But I want to face my fear. I want to go for it and see if I can still play the game.

Its like drinking beer. Once your liver is totalled, it means no more beer for you... for life... and thats what I wanna know. Can I still play the game with out being "too" hooked? Can I spend time with my family, and keep my job while I play the game?

Can I controll my gaming hours?

I patiently await for FM07... and see if I can really do it. If ever I noticed myself being too hooked... then that just means I can no longer play the game that has brought me so much joy. But hey... they are better things to do right? Playing ping pong, watching TV, seeing the movies... there are other things to do other than FM07.

As I continue to pay off the depts from the crash, and struggle with life in the chair, I keep regreting the day I ever played the game. But I'm not making sense. I regret playing it, and yet I still want to play it. Am I really mentally sick? should I really quit playing this stuff? For now... I just want to know if I can take 07.

My wife has her eyes on me. I love my wife so much. She understands me. She has taken everything in with out a fuss. And my son has been very accomodating of his father. You know how life is on a wheel chair don't you? Its not easy.

This is it. When FM07 comes out, I will try it, and my wife will be watching. I'm in a dillema... should I just shove this game right up, and put my wife's worries at ease? Or face my fears and get this over with? Its really not a big thing. And I keep promising her that nothing will happen. If something does happen, then I will forever quit.

Wish me luck.

I read all your story and somewhat I'm not surprised about your addiction.I'm 18 yaers old and 1 week away from army duty and I play from FM05 until now.I play every day,and I mean everyday for atleast 7 hours because I'm so addictaed to that game even though I know it's bad for me but I just can't stop playing it.

I started wearing glasses last year and I told myself that "omg,I'm wearing glasses because i'm too much on the computer,it gonna stop",but guess what,it didnt bother me,I still keep playing games and be on the computer as much as I can.My mom keep telling me to stop it but I never listen ot her and I'm afraid that something bad might happen for playing too much on the computer,becuase there is no doubt I'm more addicted than you.

To answer you question if you should try the new game or shouldn't,I am not the one to answer it since I'm addicted by myself.I'm so addicted that I hope one day I will something to do that will take my whole day and I wont see a cpu and think of FM,becuase the moment will arrive and I will learn it only from the hard way and I'm definitley don't want to learn from the hard way but now,it seems that it's the only opportunity to get off from FM.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by flaubert:

holy crap icon_eek.gif

This story really is...something special icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Oh..my..god! That's a story! Really, they should put a warning on there,

WARNING: MAY CAUSE ADDICTION TO GAME! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Don't worry, play the game for a certain amount of time, I get addicted and then it wears off. It'll be fine, just don't play when you're driving! Only play, if your wife is driving, ok! Cool. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cheers guys. Hope you won't do the samething as I did. This game is addictive no doubt. And we all should know our responsibilities in the real world.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ernest166:

I read all your story and somewhat I'm not surprised about your addiction.I'm 18 yaers old and 1 week away from army duty and I play from FM05 until now.I play every day,and I mean everyday for atleast 7 hours because I'm so addictaed to that game even though I know it's bad for me but I just can't stop playing it.

I started wearing glasses last year and I told myself that "omg,I'm wearing glasses because i'm too much on the computer,it gonna stop",but guess what,it didnt bother me,I still keep playing games and be on the computer as much as I can.My mom keep telling me to stop it but I never listen ot her and I'm afraid that something bad might happen for playing too much on the computer,becuase there is no doubt I'm more addicted than you.

To answer you question if you should try the new game or shouldn't,I am not the one to answer it since I'm addicted by myself.I'm so addicted that I hope one day I will something to do that will take my whole day and I wont see a cpu and think of FM,becuase the moment will arrive and I will learn it only from the hard way and I'm definitley don't want to learn from the hard way but now,it seems that it's the only opportunity to get off from FM. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm afraid you will have to break the CD and force yourself to get out of the game. Or else let someone do it for you.

Whats wrong? Why are you so addicted? Where are your parents? Isn't anyone aware and concerned for you?

I was addicted cuz it was my first game. And maybe it was god given or something, that I got the car crash. Now everything is back to normal, actually, even better.

Its just a game Ernest. It won't improve your life in anyway. It hampers your progress in growing up and loving the real world. Its funs... but like they say, too much of a good thing can be bad.

FM is a great game, but don't make the game your life. It has the ability to do so. And based on serveys, it has already done that. Not just this game, but other adictive games like Ragnarok or World of WarCraft.

Don't wait til something really bad happens. Take it from me. I've been there and still sufferring the consequences. Don't say I didn't warn ya. This is all in good will.

ITS JUST A GAME!!! it can be replaced, but life cannot.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bomjr:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ernest166:

To answer you question if you should try the new game or shouldn't,I am not the one to answer it since I'm addicted by myself.I'm so addicted that I hope one day I will something to do that will take my whole day and I wont see a cpu and think of FM,becuase the moment will arrive and I will learn it only from the hard way and I'm definitley don't want to learn from the hard way but now,it seems that it's the only opportunity to get off from FM. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm afraid you will have to break the CD and force yourself to get out of the game. Or else let someone do it for you.

Whats wrong? Why are you so addicted? Where are your parents? Isn't anyone aware and concerned for you?

I was addicted cuz it was my first game. And maybe it was god given or something, that I got the car crash. Now everything is back to normal, actually, even better.

Its just a game Ernest. It won't improve your life in anyway. It hampers your progress in growing up and loving the real world. Its funs... but like they say, too much of a good thing can be bad.

FM is a great game, but don't make the game your life. It has the ability to do so. And based on serveys, it has already done that. Not just this game, but other adictive games like Ragnarok or World of WarCraft.

Don't wait til something really bad happens. Take it from me. I've been there and still sufferring the consequences. Don't say I didn't warn ya. This is all in good will.

ITS JUST A GAME!!! it can be replaced, but life cannot. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My parents are awared but they can't realy do something cuz it's still my decision and I'm already grown up and every decision is made by me evantually.I'm afraid I wont be able to break CD unless someone else will do it and I know if that happens I will stop playing FM but I will be mad,but i prefer to be mad and not dead.Football has always been the center of my life and now when there is a chance to show my skills in that came and see the conequences in the game,makes you feel it's the real thing,and that keeps me very busy and I know that everything you said is true and I agree with you.I don't have a father who will tell me what to do and all the paps thing,I just have a mother and a grandma.My mom is always on the work and I ahve some vacation before the army so I'm using that vacation to play FM.Just don't let your son be addicted and if he is,just break his CD or his cpu,and believe me it will be the best thing.

Man, am I the only one who thinks this story is completely ********? Made up? Crap? Unbelievable?

And if it's true: playing a computer game in a car.. wtf!? You should be in jail with your wheelchair!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Twice:

Man, am I the only one who thinks this story is completely ********? Made up? Crap? Unbelievable?

And if it's true: playing a computer game in a car.. wtf!? You should be in jail with your wheelchair! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bit harsh

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Saxonator:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Twice:

And if it's true: playing a computer game in a car.. wtf!? You should be in jail with your wheelchair! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bit harsh </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes very harsh, sounds real to me and we should believe it as we have no reason not to. And to tho's people who are so addicted to this game and have no life I do feel for you but at the same time normally these people have not much to give to society anyway although their are many players addicted that are great people and prob have great jobs but the game just get them!

I can honestly say I dont think there is a bigger fan than me of this game and I have in my earlier life destroyed my potential as a footballer because of my addiction to this game. I am now 28 and have played this game from the very 1st day the very 1st one came out back in 1990 I think it was, I was about 12 (anyone remember that 1st red box with the bobby robson lookalike on it?). I have ruined relationships and lost jobs in that time and spurned many opportunitys in life because I try to leave time for me to play, I have left the games many times thou and always come back due to 1st reading the FM stories it has re hooked me on this game as some of the writers are so good at making you feel your really their and they make it feel your on a ride with the writers and your their on their shoulder or watching it on TV. This game needs great imagination to make it feel more real and these storys do just that!

I have one difference to many on this game as I am still living one dream that I have not messed up yet although my addiction has halted my progress as a football coach in which I was once compared to alex ferguson of youth football as I was a manager when I was only 16 years of age and did all my coaching courses and 1st aid and ref certificate before the age of 17.

I am still coaching and managing IRL and hope to live the dream of managing at the highest level one day. I am really interested if people who play FM actually coach or manage IRL as it is one way to relieve your addictions to managing and its real. And when your team does well or wins it gives you alot more satisfaction than on FM although they are different feeling and I sometimes love it as much as IRL.

I cant wait to manage at semi pro level trying to make my way and think back to Faramir and terk and peacemaker and many other great Fm writers storys about managing at the lowest level and the great little storys that come from that level of football. So are their any other FM players who coach or manage or would love to do it IRL?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bomjr:

Hello everyone.

[insert random mumbo jumbo in here]

This is my story. Thank you for reading, and I hope you enjoyed it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's a shorter version...

Anyways I've been hooked on Football Manager back since it was still called Championship Manager,I think I started with 2, don't recall exactly. Time flies by when playing these games. By the way, is it still the year 1997? Cause I seem to have lost track of time somewhere.

Okay, fun aside... What I mean to say is, I've been playing computer games since I was 4 or 5 years old. Well define playing at that age, oh well. Anyways, my point is, especially with a lot of games suffering from "bad" publicity, is that not everybody will have symptons like you have. For instance, I did turn out pretty well. I got my own company, which makes a decent profit and the future looks bright.

The thing is, you can't blame the game, you better blame yourself for it. See it like this; if a dog attacks someone on the street, it is most of the time not even the fault of the dog, but the owner.

Oh there is one other thing, which I wanted to ask... Did Arsenal win the Champions League final in 2022? :p

And one final advice; I warn people always not to drink and drive. But in your case, don't drink and FM.

Cheerios...

Woah, calm down. I don't expect you to believe this story. If you don't, then fine, but you don't have to be so offensive about it? (What did I ever do to you?)

I didn't go to jail cuz I had a different excuse. No one saw me playing FM in the car anyways. The excuse was "I was distracted because of personal problems and lack of sleep". In the Philippines, things are pretty lose. And with my pityful image, the cops felt sorry for me. No case was made cuz I accepted the fault and willing to pay the consequences.

Penalty: 100 hours of community service after I get out of my wheelchair, and full payment plus compensation for main damage and collateral damage.

I accept my fault and willing to pay. Still paying off as of the moment. No one made a case against me.

So there. Are you satisfied. Look, you don't have to believe me. I'm just sharing my experience with everyone and let them be aware of the dangerouse addiction can really do to you. Its all in good will my friend, and I will respect the fact that you find this unbelivable. I don't expect you to respect the story, but just don't disrespect it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HHawk:

Hello everyone.

[insert random mumbo jumbo in here]

This is my story. Thank you for reading, and I hope you enjoyed it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's a shorter version...

Anyways I've been hooked on Football Manager back since it was still called Championship Manager,I think I started with 2, don't recall exactly. Time flies by when playing these games. By the way, is it still the year 1997? Cause I seem to have lost track of time somewhere.

Okay, fun aside... What I mean to say is, I've been playing computer games since I was 4 or 5 years old. Well define playing at that age, oh well. Anyways, my point is, especially with a lot of games suffering from "bad" publicity, is that not everybody will have symptons like you have. For instance, I did turn out pretty well. I got my own company, which makes a decent profit and the future looks bright.

The thing is, you can't blame the game, you better blame yourself for it. See it like this; if a dog attacks someone on the street, it is most of the time not even the fault of the dog, but the owner.

Oh there is one other thing, which I wanted to ask... Did Arsenal win the Champions League final in 2022? :p

And one final advice; I warn people always not to drink and drive. But in your case, don't drink and FM.

Cheerios... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, you are right. Never blame the game, but blame yourself. And thats what I've been doing. Thats one reason why I'm not afraid to try out FM07. Its all in me... its all in all of us.

Haha, yes I won't drink and drive nor will I drive and FM. Thanks for the advice.

PS: Laptop was totalled when score was still 0-0. I never knew which team won after the blackout. But I assume we beat the crap out of them 3-0. hehehe.

PPS: The warranty didn't cover the laptop. Grrr.

My parents are awared but they can't realy do something cuz it's still my decision and I'm already grown up and every decision is made by me evantually.I'm afraid I wont be able to break CD unless someone else will do it and I know if that happens I will stop playing FM but I will be mad,but i prefer to be mad and not dead.Football has always been the center of my life and now when there is a chance to show my skills in that came and see the conequences in the game,makes you feel it's the real thing,and that keeps me very busy and I know that everything you said is true and I agree with you.I don't have a father who will tell me what to do and all the paps thing,I just have a mother and a grandma.My mom is always on the work and I ahve some vacation before the army so I'm using that vacation to play FM.Just don't let your son be addicted and if he is,just break his CD or his cpu,and believe me it will be the best thing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My son is doing well, thank you. And yes, I WILL keep a close eye on his addiction rating. As for now, he is enjoying sharing his FM expereince with his friends and family. He still spends time playing football and basketball after school, and only when he has eaten, washed up, and done his homework, will he be allowed to play FM.

Don't worry. I took the com power cord with me. He won't be able to sneak out in the middle of the night, like how I used to. hehehe.

Don't worry. Join the army. I'm sure your commander will knock some sense into you.

Commmander: "You think you're some big motha who can manage a club and go for glory! Well listen here. In this base, I'm your manager, and you are nothing but a second rate under 18 reserve squad bloke! Now get down and give me 20!" LOL.

Don't forget. Its just a game. Where are you friends? Where are the rest of your relatives?

Wow!

I too thought this post was initially a very creative story to exhagerate a the fact that FM is a very addictive game, but I quickly became convinced that it is actually a true story. Wow! My man, I am glad that you survived.

I have been playing computer games since the old text based games on the Commodore (I think the year was 84) and been playing CM/FM since my college days (I think it was CM2 and the year was definately 93)......I rarely post on the forums, but this amazing post has brought me out.

I am an American and back in the day, getting this game delivered to me was nothing less than the equivalent of trying to smuggle crack into the country...looking back on it, it could be easy to wish that that first edition of it never arrived at my doorstep.

This game is an addiction just like anything else. With that being said, it is (under normal usage) one of the BEST addictions a person can have if managed properly. As stated earlier, I started this series in '93 and I will call that my unhealthy period of addiction that lasted through CM4. I went from completing my freshman and sophomore years of college in just over one calendar year before buying CM2, to never finishing college as I write this. CM was admitadley not the only factor in that fact (women, booze, etc play as much a part), but I played the damn game night and day throughout college. I missed class after class and it got to the point that I was flat out too lazy to even drop the classes in time to get my money back....I'd just miss them and have the flunk on my record!

Fast forward to my current "addiction". I played FM2006 quite a bit, but nothing like I played CM. Ironically, I would contribute the rise in difficulty of mastering tactics right up there with my ability to manage my habits/important things as the top two reasons why I can now say this is a GOOD addiction as opposed to what the hell I was doing back 10 years prior. This game inspires creativity, ambition, community discussion (this forum), and use of analytics/brain stimulation. As much as I could blame this game for causing me to never get a college degree, I could also attribute it (since I think anyone who is addicted to it has the analytical skills to do alot of productive real world things) to helping me own my own business and enjoy the drive to do better in that business every single day.

My point is that if you can manage your addiction (i.e. not miss classes/work/family events), this is still the best game ever made! In fact, with the demo of 2007 out now and finding the tactics coming to me more easily I am having to make sure that I stick to my guns more now and put my family first, business/finances second, and this game a steady 3rd!

bomjr, thank you for sharing your story...again, it is great that everyone involved made it through alive. I must admit that I played FM2006 on the way to my soccer (remember I am American) practice ONE time. I managed to play one match and I couldn't really see the screen that well in the Texas sun. I recall getting back home from practice and thinking "I am a total frikkin moron" and never did it again.

I must admit, this post has inspired me to get back to what I am calling my Asteroids formation on the 2007 Demo...it has my Cardiff boys undefeated 7 matches in.

Cheers to all! Enjoy the crazy world that is FM2007!

My parents are awared but they can't realy do something cuz it's still my decision and I'm already grown up and every decision is made by me evantually.I'm afraid I wont be able to break CD unless someone else will do it and I know if that happens I will stop playing FM but I will be mad,but i prefer to be mad and not dead.Football has always been the center of my life and now when there is a chance to show my skills in that came and see the conequences in the game,makes you feel it's the real thing,and that keeps me very busy and I know that everything you said is true and I agree with you.I don't have a father who will tell me what to do and all the paps thing,I just have a mother and a grandma.My mom is always on the work and I ahve some vacation before the army so I'm using that vacation to play FM.Just don't let your son be addicted and if he is,just break his CD or his cpu,and believe me it will be the best thing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My son is doing well, thank you. And yes, I WILL keep a close eye on his addiction rating. As for now, he is enjoying sharing his FM expereince with his friends and family. He still spends time playing football and basketball after school, and only when he has eaten, washed up, and done his homework, will he be allowed to play FM.

Don't worry. I took the com power cord with me. He won't be able to sneak out in the middle of the night, like how I used to. hehehe.

Don't worry. Join the army. I'm sure your commander will knock some sense into you.

Commmander: "You think you're some big motha who can manage a club and go for glory! Well listen here. In this base, I'm your manager, and you are nothing but a second rate under 18 reserve squad bloke! Now get down and give me 20!" LOL.

Don't forget. Its just a game. Where are you friends? Where are the rest of your relatives? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hehe,I liked the commander one lol.

If that keeps like that with your son so it's definitley fine.

I do have friends with I share with them everything and relatives which I do have but dont realy have cahnce to see them since they are a little bit far away.But I do keep in touch with them once in a while just to check if there are some crazy FM addicted as me and come to him and knock him down lol :p

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HD:

This thread is rapidly becoming an FMaholics Anonymous session... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah. Wonder why its still open, its not really a story anymore?

Archived