Build a Bonfire - Scare a Rook

displaced_seagull

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Sussex Express - Friday 1st July 2005

King Quits in Budget Cut Row - replaced by ex-Stringer

By Derrick Shaw, Express Sports Reporter

After two seasons in charge, when he led the Rooks to the Conference South Playoffs only to be denied the chance of promotion to the Conference National by on rules regarding Stadium standards, Lewes manager Steve King has quit the club after becoming embroiled in a row with Chairman Terry Parris over proposed cuts to his playing budget for the coming season. King, 40, said in a statement; "I have no desire to continue as Lewes manager with what I see as unworkable conditions".

Parris is believed to have cut the playing budget to £2200 a week in a bid to plough any spare cash into the Ground Improvements that are required for the club to progress further.

King's replacement is an interesting choice - former Hailsham Town centre forward Stuart Fairway has been handed his first managerial role at the age of 30 - being given an initial one year contract as Lewes manager. Reaction to the news has been mixed - many supporters though seem keen to give Fairway, a combative front man in his playing days - a chance, the logic being that few in the local area had heard of Steve King before he took the job.

Fairway has acted quickly to set up a comprehensive preseason programme, with Lewes travelling to his former side, Hailsham Town, a week Saturday (9th) before matches at home to Redbridge (Friday 15th), Gloucester City (Monday 18th), Hampton & Richmond (Sunday 24th), Tiverton (Wednesday 29th), Harrow Boro (Sunday 31st) and Burgess Hill (Wednesday 3rd August) ahead of the Conference South opener against St Albans , again at home, on Saturday August 13th. By far the biggest preseason game though comes on Thursday 21st July - Lewes due to face a Tottenham Hotspur XI at the Dripping Pan.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sussex Express - Friday 1st July 2005

King Quits in Budget Cut Row - replaced by ex-Stringer

By Derrick Shaw, Express Sports Reporter

After two seasons in charge, when he led the Rooks to the Conference South Playoffs only to be denied the chance of promotion to the Conference National by on rules regarding Stadium standards, Lewes manager Steve King has quit the club after becoming embroiled in a row with Chairman Terry Parris over proposed cuts to his playing budget for the coming season. King, 40, said in a statement; "I have no desire to continue as Lewes manager with what I see as unworkable conditions".

Parris is believed to have cut the playing budget to £2200 a week in a bid to plough any spare cash into the Ground Improvements that are required for the club to progress further.

King's replacement is an interesting choice - former Hailsham Town centre forward Stuart Fairway has been handed his first managerial role at the age of 30 - being given an initial one year contract as Lewes manager. Reaction to the news has been mixed - many supporters though seem keen to give Fairway, a combative front man in his playing days - a chance, the logic being that few in the local area had heard of Steve King before he took the job.

Fairway has acted quickly to set up a comprehensive preseason programme, with Lewes travelling to his former side, Hailsham Town, a week Saturday (9th) before matches at home to Redbridge (Friday 15th), Gloucester City (Monday 18th), Hampton & Richmond (Sunday 24th), Tiverton (Wednesday 29th), Harrow Boro (Sunday 31st) and Burgess Hill (Wednesday 3rd August) ahead of the Conference South opener against St Albans , again at home, on Saturday August 13th. By far the biggest preseason game though comes on Thursday 21st July - Lewes due to face a Tottenham Hotspur XI at the Dripping Pan.

Authors Notes

Here we go again. No false dawns - FM06 is a cracker IMHO, and with a release day patch that not only solves problems, but hasn't seemed to have created anything major either. I'm happy enough to play with it, and hopefully this can be a long-term game. I've long wanted to take Lewes all the way, and hopefully this can be the game in which I do it. Running all the English Leagues, plus the top two in Scotland, and the top leagues of France, Holland, Italy, Germany and Spain - as well as my own 'sussex'.dtt file to retain all players from many County League sides (for more information, see http://community.sigames.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/717198912/m/3152073861

Enjoy icon_smile.gif

good luck, d_s icon_smile.gif nice to see you back (hopefully long term) can't say i've been overly enamored with FM06 so far, certainly haven't gotten into the swing of it as quickly as I did with '05.

look forward to reading your tale though icon_smile.gif

Cheers Terk icon_smile.gif - Hopefully I can make this into a rather long-term thing

King's resignation suprised everyone, including myself. My appointment though, it's fair to say, suprised me a little more. Pedigree? - pah, it's a dog food isn't it? - I've certainly got little as a football manager. A journeyman (throughout Sussex, anyway), clogger, I scored a fair few goals in my time but couldn't ever seem to make the step up. Still, I have now, and it's three cheers to the future. At least Kingy's assistant, Stuart Cash , decided to stay - as have physio Steve Fox and scout Paul Patterson - though I'll be advertising for a new Coach as well as an additional Scout.

The squad, as with many at this level, is somewhat small - and given the budget situation, perhaps that's for the best. I've got a squad of 15, with just one - Paul Wilkerson - a member of the Goalkeepers Union. Looking at the rest of the squad, some of whom I know personally from the past, others who are just names on a page to me at the moment, it seems that a 4-4-2 style formation best suits the players we have available.

In defence, ex-Peterborough left back Dean Hooper is the standout player, with club favourite Jay Lovett also adequate on the right. In the middle, ex-Hailsham Town man Leon Legge should be able to make the step up, and ex-Torquay defender Sean Hankin will certainly be good enough to make the step down. Max Hustwick certainly works hard, whilst teenage right back Steve Robinson is eyecatching, but perhaps lacks the basics. Another option on the left - though he can play in midfield - is another former Peterborough man, Mark Coulson , also a teenager at 19.

Club captain Paul Kennett rules the roost in midfield - with Karl Beckford providing the flair in contrast to Kennett's grit and drive. Ex-Crawley right winger Mo Harkin is at his best while running with the ball, but the only real option on the left, Kirk Watts is quick, but lacks control.

While four midfielders is a little on the short side, three strikers are adequate for the moment - and with ex-Spurs starlet Owen Price - the nephew of the former manager - on the clubs' books, we should have a player who is capable of striking fear into opponents hearts. Fan favourite Jean-Michel Sigire - or 'Ziggy' to the faithful - is quick, strong and composed in front of goal, and is another type of player altogether to young Price. 25-year old left-footer Gavin Holligan , once of Wycombe and West Ham, completes the strike trio - and though he could perhaps do with losing a bit of weight, is a natural 'poacher' in the Shearer mould.

Suprisingly, for my first week in charge, it was a quiet one - players, in between work - we are still mainly a part-time club - training hard.

Hailsham Town v Lewes - Preseason Friendly (9/7/05)

Lewes; 4-4-2; Wilkerson, Lovett, Hooper, Legge, Hankin, Harkin, Beckford, Kennett*, Watts, Price, Holligan

Subs; Hustwick, Leach (GK), Coulson, Barker, Sigire, Robinson

For my first match in charge, I've taken guidance from another young, successful - and Non League - manager. Alex Ingelthorpe, in charge at Exeter City, once said; "As a young manager I think you have to be bold and be a little bit brave in doing what you believe". I've done that - gone with my 'gut instinct' first eleven that I had in my mind within a couple of training sessions after taking control. On the bench, youth teamers Leach and Barker both have shown potential according to Cash, so are included while I assess their claims for a contract.

We began brightly, and quickly put the Stringers under pressure. After Holligan had fired wide, and Furber had to be alert to hook away a dangerous swinging cross, Gavin Holligan stabbed home in the aftermath of a Beckford corner to put us ahead on 36. Unfortunatley, the lead wouldn't last - it was perhaps more of a cross than a shot, but whatever his intentions, Mark French managed to lift the ball over Wilkerson and dipped it into the corner of the net from a tight angle to see the sides level at the break. We made four changes, with youth team prospect Barker amongst those coming on - he could have opened his Lewes account, and really given me food for thought, with the first chance of the second half, but instead shot wide after good work by Price. Sigire replaced Price on the hour, and we shifted to a more direct attacking style, which almost reaped dividends - the Frenchman close with a header on 72. Eventually, pressure told - Martin Richardson's error, and Jean-Michel Sigire's persistence, paying off, with the striker intercepting a loose pass to slam past Oldroyd. The dangerous Barker certainly impressed after coming on, whilst the home side certainly improved after the addition of young Ashley Jarvis after the interval. He too, is a teenager who I'll keep my eye on.

Hailsham 1 - Lewes 2

Attendance; 161

MOM; Sean Hankin (Lewes)

Scout Paul Patterson's weekend reporting has thrown up a name - Russ Tanner , 24, is a goalkeeper who 'slipped through the net' - he had a three-month spell at Lewes a couple of years back, but found himself second in the pecking order, and when costs needed to be cut, released to play County League football.

He's currently at Eastbourne Town , but Patterson - who, it has to be said, is a relic of the pre-King era - reckons that he deserves another crack of the whip. With just the one senior 'keeper, I too think it could be a good idea to bring him in. By Wednesday, we've got competition - Histon , newcomers to the Conference South, are too 'blessed' with just one stopper, but hopefully being local to his home, Russ will choose Lewes over Cambridgeshire.

Wednesday is also a good day for 16-year old Steve Barker - he's quick and exciting, and perhaps suprisingly for a youngster, is no pushover - stocky and strong to boot. He could go a long way, and it was with great pleasure that I found myself offering him a contract until the end of the season. As he won't turn 17 until nearly Christmas, it will have to be a 'Youth' contract for the time being - a bit of a risk to ourselves, in that he could be poached by a bigger club, but hopefully we'll be able to keep him under wraps for a while yet.

It was Friday morning when Eastbourne Town replied regarding Tanner - the bid for the 'keeper - in itself, nothing, but 10% should we sell him on - accepted. Histon too were given permission to talk terms, but we decided to strike first, putting a good package together for the 24-year old before he had time to meet Histon boss Steve Fallon. Potentially better still, Steve Barker put pen to paper - joining the club who he first became associated with - and this will make you (it certainly did me) - feel old - 10 years ago, in 1995 - Steve was just 7 at the time. Git.

Friday also saw rumours. Rumours of transfer activities - Kirk Watts apparently the target of two Conference National sides. A player who, in my opening few days at the club, failed to impress, Watts will perhaps be suprised at the interest. Whatever, he's in the squad for tonight's game.

Lewes v Redbridge - Preseason Friendly (15/7/05)

Lewes; 4-4-2; Wilkerson, Lovett, Hooper, Legge, Hankin, Harkin, Beckford, Kennett*, Watts, Price, Holligan

Subs; Hustwick, Leach (GK), Coulson, Barker, Sigire, Robinson

It's actually an unchanged starting eleven for my first home match - although given that we play on a Friday night, I'm expecting a sparse attendance. Still, at least it's a warm, summer evening - with Roger the Groundsman not turning on the floodlights ahead of kickoff, such is the time of year. Things began well enough - Owen Price nipping on - as could become his trademark - to take advantage of a sloppy backpass and beat 'keeper Masters, who didn't help matters by coming out to gather, then changing his mind and furiously backpedalling only to watch the ball into the net. Unfortunatley, it was our bright spot - it came far too early. Redbridge offered plenty, and quickly wore our hard-pressed midfield down with some quick, pacey interchanges. After seeing one ruled out for offside before the break, the visitors levelled when Terry John stabbed home on 69. Changes, including the addition of young Barker, didn't seem to have much effect, and Redbridge grabbed a second when Paul Spencer reacted quickest on 82, again benefitting from some penalty box pinball. The defeat, although 'meaningless', is still a bitter pill to swallow.

Lewes 1 - Redbridge 2

Attendance; 109

MOM; Paul Spencer (Redbridge)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by displaced_seagull:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

Good luck icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cheers icon_smile.gif

Psst, Want cheap car insurance? icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

hehe, I don't drive icon_biggrin.gif

PM - That's no excuse icon_mad.gificon_wink.gif - Cheers Flip icon14.gif

Paul Patterson's covert activity around Sussex continues - not content with a positive report on Ashley Jarvis , who impressed against ourselves for Hailsham, he's also found a potential gem from Sweden - in the not so Nordic surroundings of Horsham . Midfielder Martin Johansson is 22, and finds himself playing Ryman League football after experience at a considerably higher level back home. Certainly a find for the mid-Sussex side, if they can be persuaded to let him go, then I feel that he could do a job in the centre of our midfield as well.

In between all the transfer talk - the Dripping Pan's somewhat broomcupboard-esq managers office is a hive of activity at the moment - I've also been pondering other parts of this managerial lark. Though one win and one defeat isn't too bad from our opening two games, I have been considering changes to the formation. We'll trial something that we've been working on in training on Monday, and hopefully this should allow our midfielders to see more of the ball.

Lewes v Gloucester - Preseason Friendly (19/7/05)

Lewes; 4-4-2; Wilkerson, Lovett, Coulson, Legge, Hankin, Kennett*, Harkin, Beckford, Barker, Price, Holligan

Subs; Hustwick, Leach (GK), Hooper, Watts, Sigire, Robinson

With Kirk Watts still to decide on his future, I've made two changes to the side - as well as that slight formation changed previously mentioned. We've gone with Kennett in 'the hole' - sitting in front of the defence to help out at the back, whilst also providing a position to springboard our attacks with some ranged passes. Barker replaces Wattsy, whilst at the back, Coulson comes in for Hooper. It took approximatley 18 minutes for those carefully laid plans to fall apart. Leon Legge's dismissal - a professional foul - didn't help, but after Gloucester netted the penalty, we fell apart. They ended up scoring four, and the tactical experiment - or that one at least - will go down as a total faliure.

Lewes 0 - Gloucester 4

Attendance; 119

MOM; Darren Preece (Gloucester)

By Tuesday, transfer activity had reached previously untold heights - reports and rumours flying around so fast that nobody - least of all me - knew what was going on. I did, of course, know what players we'd approached, but other than that, which I kept close to my chest, the media could speculate to their hearts content as far as I was concerned. Mo Harkin limping off injured on Sunday evening though hadn't helped - he'll be out for around a couple of weeks after damaging his foot.

One certainty though came on Tuesday morning - with Russell Tanner saying 'No' to Histon and 'Yes' to Lewes - putting pen to paper on a deal that will finally see some competition to Paul Wilkerson arrive. Wednesday though, saw one go the other way...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

http://www.lewesfc.com - News

'Wattsy Signs Off'

"Winger Kirk Watts has left the club to join Morecambe on a free transfer. Watts, 26, joined from Bromley and quickly became a popular figure with supporters, but has not managed to win a place in the heart of new manager Stuart Fairway.

Fairway said; "Kirk doesent fit in to the way I want to play at the club, but he's been a fine servant and we wish him all the best for the future".

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thursday night - and another two members of the Youth team are getting their big chances...

Lewes v Tottenham XI - Preseason Friendly (21/7/05)

Lewes; 4-4-2; Wilkerson, Legge, Hankin, Hustwick, Kennett*, Beckford, Barker, Hudson, Holligan, Price, Jennings

Subs; Robinson, Tanner (GK), Lovett, Coulson, Sigire, Hooper

Spurs Reserves was clearly the highlight of our preseason calender when it was announced - but after recent results, some fans - not to mention staff and players - are beginning to wish it had never been arranged. We're still to get the balance right, and again, we're trying something a bit different tonight. New boy Tanner is amongst the subs, whilst teenage prospects Jennings and Hudson are thrown into the deep end. All you need to know about it is that we failed to get a shot on target - although, at times, looked suprisingly comfortable on the ball. In a side containing such well known players as Pedro Mendes and Goran Bunjevcevic, it was perhaps inevitable that one of the Spurs' youngsters would shine - and Radwan Hamed certainly did, bagging a first half brace. Icelandic winger Emil Halfredsson netted the third late on, denying Tanner, who had come on at the break, a clean sheet against some pretty impressive opposition. What to do, what to do?

Lewes 0 - Tottenham XI 3

Attendance; 139

MOM; Nathan Peprah Annan (Tottenham)

The phone call was not expected. Friday morning, sitting in my office, the last person who I expected to ring was Steve King . His words were simple - and, perhaps suprisingly, kindly - no malice, no agression, no nothing. Just good, honest, advice. "Stick at it Son" he said. "I know you've not got much to play with finanically, so try and make the most of what you have. The lads did OK last night, but I really think you should perhaps try something slightly more defensive on the tactical front"

Perhaps it would happen when I got up - although vivid as anything, it seemed like Kingy's call had been a dream. Whatever had *actually* happened, it certainly gave me ideas - Lovett and Hooper are two quality wingbacks, and perhaps we are not utilising them to the best of their abilities at the moment. Whatever, we need to sort something out before too long.

3-5-2 would be the answer - with two wingbacks operating on the flanks, a three man central defence, two midfielders, a link-man between midfield and attack and two up front. The answer, at least, for this week - We do need to settle on something soon - and something that doesent result in humiliating results against the likes of Gloucester City to boot. If this doesent work, we'll probably revert to some kind of 4-4-2. You can't get sacked on preseason results, can you?

Saturday saw something resembling success in the Transfer Market - Horsham accepting our offer for Swedish midfielder Martin Johanssen , resulting in a contract offer that would see him just about double his wages to £100-a-week.

Lewes v Hampton & Richmond - Preseason Friendly (24/7/05)

Lewes; 5-3-2; Wilkerson, Legge, Hankin, Hustwick, Lovett, Hooper, Kennett*, Barker, Beckford, Holligan, Sigire

Subs; Robinson, Tanner (GK), Coulson, Cooke, Price

Another game, another youngster on the bench - Steve Cooke called away from the Reserves to sit amongst the 'stars'. It was the same old story - second best in every department, and the London visitors fully deserved Gareth Davis' 26th minute opener to give them the lead into the interval. There would be no glorious comeback, and you can strike 5-3-2 off the list of 'maybes' for opening day at home to St Albans.

Lewes 0 - Hampton & Richmond 1

Attendance; 63

MOM: Paul Campbell (H&R)

Martin Johanssen's rejection phone call came on Tuesday morning - not interested in risking guarenteed first team football at Horsham. There's no pleasing some people. Still, we've been working hard in training, and have reverted to that 4-4-2 style formation with Kennett sitting in front of the back four.

Lewes v Tiverton Town - Preseason Friendly (27/7/05)

Lewes; 4-1-3-2; Wilkerson, Robinson, Hankin, Legge, Hooper, Kennett*, Price, Beckford, Barker, Sigire, Holligan

Subs; Hustwick, Tanner (GK), Coulson, Jennings, Grant, Lovett

Still no Harkin, so youth teamers in Jennings - who has played once already in preseason - and Grant, help to make up the bench. There was no immediate change - no 'fliicking the switch' to turn on a 'good' Lewes side - and in fact, Tiverton had most of the early pressure, Wood close early on. While Wilkerson quickly became the busier of the two keepers, we did on occasions push forward, and when Robinson's long throw found Legge, Ridley upended the defender - before Gavin Holligan blasted his penalty straight at the 'keeper. Changes seemed to help Tiverton more than ourselves, but on 81, a break resulted in a miracle - substitute Chris Grant scoring from close range. A win!

Lewes 1 - Tiverton 0

Attendance; 94

MOM; Steve Barker (Lewes)

Two friendlies remain - so one more opportunity to trial another tactical idea. I've noticed a bit of local criticism about my frequent changes, but if you can't experiment in preseason, when can you?

Lewes v Harrow Boro - Preseason Friendly (31/7/05)

Lewes; 3-2-3-2; Wilkerson, Lovett, Hankin, Legge, Hustwick, Hooper, Kennett*, Beckford, Barker, Sigire, Holligan

Subs; Coulson, Tanner (GK), Robinson, Jennings, Price

We began brightly enough, with Jean-Michel Sigire netting on 32, but after a couple of horrendous errors at the back, conceded twice to Carl Douglas to go in behind at the break. Leon Legge's well struck effort restored the draw on 52, but - same old story. An Allen penalty and a late Collins free kick gave the visitors - as usual - the victory. Why can't we get it together?

Lewes 2 - Harrow Boro 4

Attendance; 83

MOM; John Francis (Harrow)

That would be the theme of Sunday evening's session - talking over where it had gone wrong. I've got my own theories, but then again, you can't expect the players to be fully match fit just quite yet. One friendly remains, at home to Burgess Hill, before a few days 'rest' ahead of the big kick off. Which, of course, we are not yet ready for.

Squad strengthening will be the order of the day, and in particular the midfield. Between myself, Stuart Cash and scout Paul Patterson, we've targeted Swindon midfielder Chris Taylor - a talented youngster, more capable with his left foot than his right, but certainly someone who could do a job at this level.

One more friendly? - One more tactical variation then. Inspired by - and if you can't be inspired by the best, then you're not doing your job properly - Chelsea - we've decided on a 5-4-1 style variant for the final preseason warmup against fellow Sussex outfit Burgess Hill . With Taylor still to make up his mind - though Swindon did accept our offer on Wednesday morning, I've still got selection problems ahead of the final friendly. The fitness levels, I must admit, do worry me.

Lewes v Burgess Hill - Preseason Friendly (3/8/05)

Lewes; 5-4-1; Tanner, Hankin, Legge, Hustwick, Lovett, Coulson, Kennett*, Barker, Beckford, Price, Holligan

Subs; Robinson, Wilkerson (GK), Hooper, Jennings, Sigire

With Tanner between the sticks, and Price playing just behind target man Holligan, I'm hoping that we can finally 'click' today. To be honest, we are currently clueless about how to start the Conference South, but a good performance today would certainly help to make up my mind. The result said it all - a 1-0 victory. A victory! . Steve Barker's 19th minute free kick was the difference between the two sides, but we certainly impressed, and could have scored more. At the other end, Harrison saw a late 'leveller' ruled out by the offside flag - which would have been harsh on Russ Tanner, who played a blinder and certainly will give 'General' Wilkerson cause for concern. We'll go into the opening day with this formation.

Lewes 1 - Burgess Hill 0

Attendance; 101

MOM: Russ Tanner (Lewes)

The win obviously impressed someone else as well - by Sunday, 19-year old Chris Taylor became the second player from outside the club - so not including teenage prospect Steve Barker - to join my 'Rook Revolution' - and immediatley made a good impression on our supporters, when he told the Non-League Paper that he is really looking forward to playing for the club, and can't wait to make his debut.

I'm also hopeful that Mo Harkin will be fit for the opening day - again on Sunday, he was assessed by Physio Fox, who seems to think that the Northern Irish winger could well be in contention for a place. Meanwhile, over in Cardiff, Chelsea have won the first trophy of the Domestic Season - beating Arsenal 4-3 on penalties after a 1-1 draw in an entertaining Community Sheild match.

Tuesday morning - and my first real dilemma since taking charge. Owen Price is, without any shadow of a doubt, a player with a big future. Boston United have spotted that potential, and have tested our mettle with an £8000 bid. My head says no - we'd be left with just two strikers - but after the lad was treated so badly by Spurs, my heart has to overrule it - we'll accept. The money will come in handy, and Owen will no doubt relish the opportunity to get into the Football League.

Thursday evening's training session brought less training, and more of a meeting with the players. After all the preseason experimentation, I just wanted to reassure them that now we've got what - we hope - will be a winning formula, we'll stick with it. For the opening few matches at least, Lewes will play 5-4-1. It also proved a prudent time to call Paul Wilkerson aside. After some indifferent displays in preseason, it'll be new signing Russ Tanner who starts between the sticks on Saturday. One thing that wasn't let on is that the club - for the third time - offered personal terms to Martin Johanssen , the Swedish midfielder currently on the books of Horsham .

Owen Price checked out on Friday morning - the club now £8000 the richer, but down to two strikers, and surely there's no time to bring one in before Saturday. Owen, however, may find things a little tough at Boston - as well as himself, Lawrie Dudfield, Jason Lee, Julian Joachim and Noel Whelan will compete for front roles in Lincolnshire. Of those five, the young striker is surely the fifth choice - at the moment.

Lewes v St Albans - Conference South Game 1 (13/8/05)

Lewes; 5-4-1; Tanner, Hankin, Legge, Hustwick, Lovett, Hooper, Kennett*, Taylor, Beckford, Barker, Holligan

Subs; Robinson, Wilkerson (GK), Coulson, Harkin, Sigire

Mo Harkin did return to fitness - of sorts - but he's still not yet up to starting, in my eyes. 16-year old Steve Barker will no doubt have plenty of expectation on him - many who came to our preseason friendlies have been commenting on the clubs' website that he looks a real prospect. Another new signing, Chris Taylor, makes his bow in midfield to boot. Conceding a goal then to Lee Clarke after all of two minutes then, wasn't really in the game plan. Nine minutes later, things got a lot worse - Dean Hooper idiotically kicking out at Matt Hann, and recieving his marching orders for his troubles. The Lewes supporters were furious, whilst the small St Albans contingent merely waved and cheered as Hooper trudged back to the changing rooms. We reorganised, with Hankin going to the left, whilst Legge and Hustwick remained in the centre of defence. Almost immediatley we came close to levelling - Beckford's bullet header tipped over the top. Sigire replaced an uninspiring Holligan at the break, and despite the Saints' Seeby hitting the bar, we did draw level on 53. After the prematch buildup, his first half contribution had been limited to a few classy touches, but Steve Barker would get his dream debut goal. The youngster did very well, throwing off the shackles of his marker before blasting low from just outside the box. On the hour, however, we were again undone - but this time, by the officials. Hustwick's clearance under pressure seemed to offend the referee, and much to the fury of supporters - and myself - referee Craig Barker awarded a free kick. Scott Cousins stepped up, and even if Russ Tanner had been 10 foot tall, he wouldn't have reached it, such was the exquisite placement - right in the top corner from the edge of the area. 10 minutes later, after Tanner had again clawed away from Clarke, we made our final two changes - throwing on Coulson for Hustwick, and replacing the booked Taylor, who had an industrious debut, with Mo Harkin. We went forward with gusto, and sub Sigire drew a stunning stop from veteran Bastock. That was about it - a defeat in my opening match, but this style of play certainly seems to suit us despite the result - it's just about taking the chances we do create now.

Lewes 1 - St Albans 2

Attendance; 319

MOM; Lee Clarke (St Albans)

Sunday morning - and while the Non League Paper doesent make happy reading, Dean Hooper will be banned for one match after his dismissal. That's an initial ban - if referee Barker includes the incident in his report, the Football Association could crack down further on the veteran. Sunday, however, will also go down as the day we finally got our man. Martin Johanssen has signed on a free from Horsham until 2007 - whilst another arrival was one of those who I hoped to get earlier on, but had been keeping under my hat. Ruben Zadkovich is hardly a Sussex-sounding name, and unsuprisingly, he too is a foreign import. The 19-year old has signed for us for the season, on loan from Notts County - the Australian-born attacking midfield man moved over as a young man to join QPR, and has made 9 Football League appearances in his career in England, scoring once.

Eastleigh v Lewes - Conference South Game 2 (16/8/05)

Lewes; 5-4-1; Tanner, Hankin, Legge, Hustwick, Lovett, Coulson, Kennett*, Taylor, Beckford, Johanssen, Sigire

Subs; Robinson, Wilkerson (GK), Barker, Zadkovich, Holligan

'Ziggy', Coulson and Johanssen in - Hooper, Barker and Holligan making way. Despite his goal, it's perhaps still too early to play a 16-year old week in, week out, and young Barker will benefit from the rest in our opinion. A scrappy opening saw 4 yellow cards - and just one chance - inside the opening 21 minutes. Fortunatley, we had the chance - Sigire shooting wide after some hard graft. We again came close on 27 - Taylor's effort tipped over - and from the corner, Karl Beckford met Sean Hankin's deep cross to head home his first goal in a Rooks shirt. The goal certainly lifted us, and especially defensivley, we began to play with purpose - Hankin, Kennett and Legge all throwing themselves around to block various chances and create others - Karl Beckford not too far away on the stroke of half time. With the physical style employed by the visitors, we did pick up a couple of knocks, and both Johanssen and Taylor stayed in the changing rooms at half time - Zadkovich and Barker replacing them. The two linked up well on 49, with Kadzovich blazing over after being fed by Barker, a player who delights the supporters whenever he gets the ball - this young man will go a long way. If anything though, our performance at the back was far more impressive - Russ Tanner diving at full stretch to deny Nicky Banger, once a Premiership player with Southampton, before punching an Ashford cross away right at the death. The victory deserved, and it's certainly a weight off my shoulders.

Eastleigh 0 - Lewes 1

Attendance; 317

MOM; Nick Burton (Eastleigh)

The trip back from Hampshire was upbeat and noisy - the first victory of the season is always one of the sweetest. Bad news, however, concerns Dean Hooper - as expected, the FA have extended his suspension to three matches, ruling the full back out of Saturday's visit of Welling as well as the trip to Basingstoke a week later. Jay Lovett will also miss out on - at least - those two matches, after he pulled up with a Hamstring strain against Eastleigh, although he completed the game as 'walking wounded'. Physio Fox reckons he could be out for up to a Month, but Jay is a tough one, and hopefully it won't do him much long-term damage.

Lewes v Welling - Conference South Game 3 (20/8/05)

Lewes; 5-4-1; Tanner, Hankin, Legge, Hustwick, Robinson, Coulson, Kennett*, Taylor, Beckford, Johanssen, Sigire

Subs; McDonald, Wilkerson (GK), Barker, Zadkovich, Holligan

Whilst Lovett is injured, Taylor and Johanssen both continue after shrugging off the knocks that forced them off in midweek. We'll include 19-year old Jimmy McDonald on the bench - one of the teenagers in the youth squad, as cover - Hooper's ban and Lovett's injury have exposed our slight weakness in numbers at the back. Welling had the best of a poor opening spell, with Kedwell, Stadhart and Pinnock all close early on. An opener for the visitors looked inevitable, and on 24, Clarke fed Danny Kedwell, who slotted under Tanner with irritating ease. On the stroke of half time, Danny Kedwell grabbed a second - and the half time team talk wasn't a happy one. Three off at the break seemed to pacify the supporters, with McDonald, Holligan and Barker all on - replacing Taylor, Sigire and Hustwick. Almost instantly, we changed - a fine, flowing move involving Hankin and Kennett saw the skipper feed Gavin Holligan , who blasted home to put us back into the game. it felt as if the leveller would never come - a Robinson cross cut out well by 'keeper Turner, before Holligan let himself down with a poor finish after breaking away and shrugging off a defender. Three minutes from time though wewon a throw in - and although struggling with a knock, Coulson still was alert to Martin Johanssen dropping short. The Swede turned, as if to cross, and the ball dipped into the net - much to the fury of 'keeper Turner, who considered himself impeded by Holligan, but it would count. A real game of two halves!

Lewes 2 - Welling 2

Attendance; 332

MOM: Danny Kedwell (Welling)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Macca_SAFC:

Nice start d_s, always had a soft spot for Lewes after playing with them on FM 05.

Couldn't help but notice Foyewa isn't in the database, any idea why this is? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No idea. He's done well recently too.

Cheers, btw icon_smile.gif

Mark Coulson's injury was later confirmed as a bruised elbow - an awkward, niggly injury that would see him out for a week or two. The media would suggest we were slightly fortunate, but the draw, in my opinion, was well earned and well deserved.

The 'risk' with playing 5-4-1 comes when you don't finish your chances, and at the moment, that is exactly our problem. After three games, we've scored four and conceded the same number - an average of 1.3 goals a game is not especially encouraging.

Tuesday night - and the Champions League holders are through to the Group Stages. After failing to qualify through their league position, Liverpool have made the most of their 'special dispensation', knocking out Real Betis 3-1 on aggregate to go into the 'big money' phase of the tournement.

By Thursday, a decision has been reached - we'll go for defensive cover, in the form of 17-year old loan-listed Paul Hinshelwood . The youngster is on the books of Brighton & Hove Albion , so it would hardly be a trek for the teenager - presuming we can reach agreement with his club, and presuming that the defender wants the opportunity of some first team football.

Liverpool would again hit the headlines on Friday, after victory over CSKA Moscow in the European Super Cup Final - the one-off game which sees the European Cup and UEFA Cup winners meet. Liverpool battled hard, and won 3-2 - and will hope that their average domestic form will be boosted by Continental success.

Basingstoke v Lewes - Conference South Game 4 (27/8/05)

Lewes; 5-4-1; Tanner, McDonald, Legge, Hustwick, Robinson, Hankin, Kennett*, Johanssen, Beckford, Zadkovich, Holligan

Subs; Stewart, Wilkerson (GK), Taylor, Barker, Sigire

Again the strikers are rotated, with Sigire out for Holligan, while in midfield Zadkovich replaces Taylor. At the back, continued injury problems lead to Hankin moving to left wing back, with young McDonald making a senior start, and Stewart, one of his youth teammates, on the bench - we do need a decision soon please, Mr Hinshelwood. hatever, it was certainly a positive start - Ruben Zadkovich sprung the offside trap to score with an excellent effort. The Australian though wouldn't get the opportunity to waltz through again - unceremoniously dumped by Bristow in an aerial battle, which saw the 19-year old come off worse, and forced to be withdrawn for Barker. We did lead into the break - but perhaps shouldn't have - Ogbode guilty of an awful miss on the stroke of half time. Basingstoke had offered a lot coming forward, and both Wyatt and Stamp had chances before on 59 Uwabunkeone Ogbode made up for his horrendous miss - heading past Tanner from Stamp's floating free kick. A minute later, Paul Kennett's second bookable offence saw the skipper dismissed, and we began to fall apart. Sigire and Taylor came on - replacing Robinson and Johanssen - but with the extra space, and former Torquay midfielder Nick Skinner probing, Basingstoke soon grabbed a second - Uwabunkeone Ogbode slamming the ball home from Taylor's through pass. 10 became 9 on 83 when the aformentioned Nigerian hitman broke through again - young McDonald coming in with a hard challenge that saw him dismissed as the last man. With nothing to lose, we surged forward - Barker hit the bar with a header, before 'keeper Rice tipped Sigire's rebound over the top. We didn't deserve the draw - too slow to react at the free kick, and then throwing away our chances with the sendings off - but still, there were plenty of encouraging signs.

Basingstoke 2 - Lewes 1

Attendance; 430

MOM; Uwabunkeone Ogbode (Basingstoke)

Paul Hinshelwood signed his loan contract on Sunday morning - 24 hours too late really, but in the circumstances, it's not too much of a hardship. While Paul Kennett will serve a one-match ban after picking up two yellow cards, non-contract player McDonald won't be banned. One wonders why the FA allow us to play him, really, but we'll not be complaining. Also on the suspension front, Dean Hooper is now available for selection after that three-game ban earned on opening day.

By Friday, I've made my mind up over the team for Saturday - not the busiest of weeks, so after considering our options, there will be changes for the visit of Carshalton. We don't, of course, play for another week - Internationals would hardly of decimated squads at this level, but they do tend to have an adverse effect on attendances.

And what of those Internationals? - the biggest news in Cardiff came in team selection. How often have we seen David Beckham as an unused substitute for the national team? - Shaun Wright-Phillips chosen ahead of the Real Madrid star on the right of midfield. The Chelsea man proved an inspired choice - winning the Man of the Match award and scoring in a 2-0 victory. Wayne Rooney scored the other goal in a 2-0 win over Wales . Northern Ireland drew, uninspiringly, 0-0 at home to Azerbijan , whilst Scotland were thumped 4-1 by Italy - Garry O'Connor's late effort the sole bright spot. Pick of the results though? - Armenia . Hardly a world footballing force, but in a wonderful display of goalkeeping, Roman Berezovsky of Dinamo Moscow became the hero - keeping out Holland , who had no less than 20 chances, and holding the Dutch to a 0-0 draw.

Tuesday's return of Mark Coulson would certainly give us a boost - although the battle between Coulson and Hooper for that left wingback slot is by no means decided. Someone else returning would be on Wednesday night - David Beckham coming off the bench for England to score the winner against Northern Ireland - Micheal Owen had opened the scoring before Warren Feeney netted a shock equaliser. Scotland earned a superb 2-0 win in Norway with goals from Robbie Winters and Kris Boyd , while back in Group 6, Poland beat Wales 1-0. Ireland too went down to a defeat - France victorious 2-0 in Dublin.

Lewes v Carshalton - Conference South Game 5 (10/9/05)

Lewes; 5-4-1; Wilkerson, Hankin, Legge, Hinshelwood, Robinson, Hooper*, Johanssen, Taylor, Beckford, Zadkovich, Holligan

Subs; Hustwick, Tanner (GK), Harkin, Barker, Sigire

Wilkerson, Hinshelwood and Taylor in - the suspended Kennett, as well as Hustwick and 'keeper Tanner left out. We began in promising circumstances, and both Holligan and Zadkovich looked dangerous early on. Carshalton's Lee Roache - who signed this week - should have opened the scoring on 28, touching the ball on from a cross, but only diverting it into the side netting. At just 17, Paul Hinshelwood certainly impressed at the back - several times sweeping up to clear as well as create chances - his long ball releasing Beckford, only for the resulting square ball to go astray. On the stroke of half time, and somewhat against the run of play, Carshalton levelled - Richard O'Connor turning home an overhit Richardson cross with an outstretched foot. We replaced Holligan with Sigire at the break, and then procceeded to struggle - Carl Wilson-Denis having a header well stopped by Wilkerson, before we threw Mo Harkin on for Robinson in an attempt to get more of the forward play. With time running out, the equaliser finally came - good work from Barker, on early in the second half, led to an opportunity, and when the ball broke, Ruben Zadkovich relished the opportunity to blast it from the edge of the box into the roof of the net right in front of the most passionate home supporters in the modern, covered Philcox Stand. There could have been a winner - twice crosses, from Barker and Hinshelwood, flashing across the penalty area - but it was not to be. The point, however, is still a bonus.

Lewes 1 - Carshalton 1

Attendance; 329

MOM; Aaron Barnett (Carshalton)

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

| Pos | Inf | Team | | Pld | Won | Drn | Lst | For | Ag | G.D. | Pts |

| -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 1st | | Eastbourne Boro | | 5 | 4 | 1 | 0 | 10 | 3 | +7 | 13 |

| -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 2nd | | Bognor Regis | | 5 | 3 | 1 | 1 | 7 | 4 | +3 | 10 |

| 3rd | | Weston-super-Mare | | 5 | 3 | 1 | 1 | 6 | 3 | +3 | 10 |

| 4th | | Basingstoke | | 5 | 3 | 1 | 1 | 7 | 5 | +2 | 10 |

| 5th | | Histon | | 5 | 2 | 3 | 0 | 6 | 2 | +4 | 9 |

| 6th | | Weymouth | | 5 | 2 | 2 | 1 | 11 | 5 | +6 | 8 |

| 7th | | Bishop's Stortford | | 5 | 2 | 2 | 1 | 4 | 2 | +2 | 8 |

| 8th | | St. Albans | | 5 | 2 | 2 | 1 | 5 | 5 | 0 | 8 |

| 9th | | Cambridge City | | 5 | 2 | 1 | 2 | 4 | 4 | 0 | 7 |

| 10th | | Farnborough | | 5 | 2 | 1 | 2 | 4 | 6 | -2 | 7 |

| 11th | | Havant & W | | 5 | 1 | 3 | 1 | 3 | 2 | +1 | 6 |

| 12th | | Sutton Utd | | 5 | 2 | 0 | 3 | 10 | 11 | -1 | 6 |

| 13th | | Thurrock | | 5 | 1 | 2 | 2 | 5 | 4 | +1 | 5 |

| 14th | | LEWES | | 5 | 1 | 2 | 2 | 6 | 7 | -1 | 5 |

| 15th | | Welling | | 5 | 1 | 2 | 2 | 5 | 7 | -2 | 5 |

| 16th | | Dorchester | | 5 | 1 | 2 | 2 | 5 | 7 | -2 | 5 |

| 17th | | Carshalton | | 5 | 1 | 2 | 2 | 4 | 6 | -2 | 5 |

| 18th | | Hayes | | 5 | 1 | 2 | 2 | 4 | 7 | -3 | 5 |

| 19th | | Eastleigh | | 5 | 1 | 2 | 2 | 1 | 4 | -3 | 5 |

| 20th | | Newport Co | | 5 | 0 | 4 | 1 | 5 | 6 | -1 | 4 |

| 21st | | Yeading | | 5 | 0 | 2 | 3 | 2 | 6 | -4 | 2 |

| 22nd | | Maidenhead | | 5 | 0 | 2 | 3 | 2 | 10 | -8 | 2 |

</pre>

So after 5 matches, local rivals Eastbourne Borough head the table. Our 14th place is definatley respectable so far, while you would expect Newport County and Eastleigh to be doing better than they are. At the other end, another fellow Sussex side, Bognor Regis , as well as financially struggling Bishops Stortford , are perhaps punching above their weight.

Jay Lovett reported fit for training on Wednesday evening, and will certainly be considered for Saturday. The Right wingback is certainly more of a natural in the position than current incumbent Steve Robinson , although the youngster has impressed with his tenacity.

At least he will have some company - we've decided that Steve will continue, and that Jay needs a couple of days of rest before he's even in contention. Mark Coulson and Mo Harkin are the other two who won't be travelling to Cambridge.

Cambridge City v Lewes - Conference South Game 6 (17/9/05)

Lewes; 5-4-1; Wilkerson, Hankin, Legge, Hinshelwood, Robinson, Hooper, Kennett*, Beckford, Johanssen, Zadkovich, Holligan

Subs; Hustwick, Tanner (GK), Taylor, Barker, Sigire

With skipper Kennett back for Taylor, there's just the one change for our trip to a side who are comfortably in the top half of the table. What Wilko didn't need - with Tanner champing at the bit after his run in the side earlier on in the campaign - was to concede a silly goal early on. Fortunatley, if such a word is acceptable when you are talking about conceding a goal - he could do little about it - Lee Chaffey's deep cross, much in the same vein of the one Martin Johanssen scored for us earlier in the season, dipped into the far corner on 3 minutes. While Cambridge pressurised - Gash firing over on 11 - we certainly had a couple of opportunities for ourselves, with Holligan having one saved by Milliard before he shot wastefully wide on 29. With Barker replacing Beckford at the break, we set out our stall for a more attacking emphasis in the Second period, and Zadkovich was unlucky with a header on 47. The Australian almost turned provider on 51 - his cheeky pass through to Barker slotted just wide by the teenager. We were certainly by now in command, and Holligan had one well saved by Milliard before changes on the hour. Holligan - perhaps suprisingly, given his poor finishing, stayed on - but Zadkovich and Hooper made way, Hustwick and Taylor replacing them. Finally, on 72, we would score - and Gavin Holligan would have to be the man who got it, picking up on Barker's pass to beat 'keeper Milliard. There could have been a late winner - Holligan yet again wasteful - but we are certainly doing things the right way. The victories, I told the players on the way home, will come.

Cambridge C 1 - Lewes 1

Attendance; 310

MOM; Steve Barker (Lewes)

Monday morning - FA Cup Second Round Qualifying draw day. Lewes' biggest day out came in the FA Cup - three years ago, the side, then managed by Jimmy Quinn, reached the First Round Proper before bowing out, in front of the SKY cameras, 2-0 to Stoke City . An equal run would certainly be apppreciated, and, on a personal note, would certainly help to build my reputation as a manager. We'll have to travel, but the trip to Kent side Dartford should result in a victory - in any other competition but the FA Cup. In this one, you can never, ever tell. We'll go to Stonebridge Road on Saturday.

Dartford v Lewes - FA Cup 2nd Qualifying Round (24/9/05)

Lewes; 5-4-1; Wilkerson, Hankin, Legge, Hinshelwood, Lovett, Hooper, Kennett*, Beckford, Johanssen, Zadkovich, Holligan

Although we've been installed as favourites for the match, it's still not - especially given our form this season - assured that we'll go through. Dartford will give it their all, and that's one reason why the more experienced Jay Lovett has earnt a recall, replacing young Robinson at Right wingback. As was perhaps to be expected, in front of a very healthy crowd - with a fair chunk of away supporters - Dartford threw everything at us early on. 'Keeper Wilkerson quickly became the busier of the two netminders, with an early stop from O'Connor before Morrison smashed a free kick over the bar. Our first real chance came on 35, and this time, Gavin Holligan would be in far less forgiving mood. The big striker beat White to reach at Zadkovich through ball, before cutting in and firing past 'keeper Jackson. With the advantage of a goal, we began to play with more confidence, and Zadkovich hit the side netting before curling a wicked corner which needed sharp reactions from the stopper. At the interval Chris Taylor replaced a subdued Johanssen - but, horror of horrors, the home side equalised through Kyle King on 65, two minutes after we had again reorganised with Barker replacing Zadkovich and Hustwick replacing a rapidly tiring Jay Lovett. When Browne's cross, seven minutes later, found Phillips' head, it was heart-in-the-mouth stuff - but fortunatley, the referee blew early, and although his header hit the net, it was already ruled out for a foul. Going into the final 10 minutes, it looked anyone's game - but eventually, legs began to tell - Semi-Professionals fitter than Dartford's amatuers, and when Dean Hooper swung over a cross, Gavin Holligan met it with a powerful header. Dartford then dropped back, launching long balls forward in the hope of getting something, but it was not to be - a win!

Dartford 1 - Lewes 2

Attendance; 1747

MOM; Kyle King (Dartford)

Cheers PM, Heskey and Spav icon_smile.gif - Ruben certainly has began well, and my scout was perhaps lucky to find him )

Monday's FA Cup Third Qualifying Round draw came around quickly, and we'll go to Lodge Road on Saturday 8th October - facing Yate Town . Should we progress, there would just be 90 minutes of football standing between ourselves and a place in the First Round Proper.

Weston-Super-Mare v Lewes - Conference South Game 7 (27/9/05)

Lewes; 5-4-1; Wilkerson, Hankin, Legge, Hinshelwood, Robinson, Hooper, Kennett*, Beckford, Johanssen, Zadkovich, Holligan

After our FA Cup adventures there's just one change to the side for the trip to Weston Super Mare on Tuesday night. It's a bit of a trek for a midweek game, and Steve Robinson replaces Jay Lovett for the long drag to the West Country. It wasn't the best of starts, and after Zadkovich missed a good opportunity on 10 minutes, Weston took the lead when Walker's snap shot hit Leon Legge and flew into the corner of the net. We would go in one behind at the break, but despite replacing Holligan and Beckford at the interval - Sigire and Taylor coming on - things got worse, rather than better, on 49 - Marvin Brown cracking the ball into the corner of the net to claim a superb goal. Again we found ourselves needing to regroup - but when Chris Lewis netted on 54, it looked grim. Zadkovich immediatley made way for young Barker, and almost immediatley, we did claim one - the 16-year old fed through Jean-Michel Sigire , who flicked the ball past 'keeper Northmore to at least give those who did travel something to cheer. Kennett smashed one wide, and as we hit a brief purple patch, Sigire could - and should - have brought the scores closer on 75. Grim.

Weston Super Mare 3 - Lewes 1

Attendance; 808

MOM; Darren Hawkins (Weston)

So it's five games without a win then, and down to 17th in the League. Suddenley, things have started to look a little greyer at The Pan, and as Saturday's match is the last League game before it's FA Cup time again, a victory against Bishops Stortford would certainly be most welcome.

Searching the transfer market has again become a regular pastime - and we may have found a young striker who could do a job. Initial enquiries have been promising, with Crewe Alexandra accepting our season-long loan bid for Kyle Wilson . Wilson, 19, is strong and hard-working, but yet to make his senior debut for his boyhood club.

Bishop's Stortford v Lewes - Conference South Game 8 (1/10/05)

Lewes; 5-4-1; Wilkerson, Hankin, Legge, Hinshelwood, Robinson, Coulson, Kennett*, Beckford, Johanssen, Barker, Holligan

Subs; Hustwick, Tanner (GK), Taylor, Zadkovich, Sigire

With the Birkenhead-born teenager still yet to make up his mind, there's two changes to the side for the trip to the side currently lying in 5th place after a good start. In midfield, young Barker replaces Zadkovich, while at the back, Mark Coulson is in for Dean Hooper. Bishops' were predictably strong going forward, and twice put the ball in the net during the game with both disallowed offside. It was something of a miracle that we were level at the break, but it wouldn't last - Steve Morrison scoring on 56. Gavin Holligan limped off to boot, leaving us with real problems. Six games without a win - 19th in the table - no vote of confidence. Yet.

Bishop's Stortford 1 - Lewes 0

Attendance; 960

MOM; Danny Gay (Bishop's Stortford)

Cheers Terk, it's not been great so far results wise icon_frown.gif

Gavin Holligan has picked up a bruised rib - and with the FA Cup game against Yate on Saturday - and a rejection from Kyle Wilson - has combined to give us little option. Gavin has agreed to take a course of painkilling injections to enable him to play against Yate, and we'll be going ahead with that this week.

To put simply, Saturday's game is a must win. Things need to improve, and where better to start that than in the FA Cup?

Yate Town v Lewes - FA Cup Third Qualifying Round (8/10/05)

Lewes; 5-4-1; Wilkerson, Hankin, Legge, Hinshelwood, Robinson, Coulson, Kennett*, Beckford, Taylor, Zadkovich, Holligan

Subs; Hustwick, Tanner (GK), Johanssen, Barker, Sigire

Hooper, Zadkovich and Taylor back - Johanssen and Barker on the bench, with Coulson left out altogether. The result? - well, we didn't lose. It was hardly inspiring stuff, and with just a handful of chances for either side, but a draw means that we'll bring Yate back to The Dripping Pan for a midweek replay which should, hopefuly, be well attended - boosting the coffers slightly. This one though? - Nothing to write home about. We did little wrong - or right.

Yate 0 - Lewes 0

Attendance; 984

MOM; Paul Wilkerson (Lewes)

Things are coming to a head - and I've decided to change things around. We simply cannot go on like this - if we do, we'll be relegated, and I'll be out of a job. It's back to a more rounded, 4-4-2 based formation - A flat back four, with Kenno sitting between defence and midfield, then three across the middle, and twin strikers. If this fails, then we will know two things - firstly, that we'll be out of the FA Cup. And secondly? - there will be a third formation in as many games for the next League game - and that wil be a simple - Keep It Simple, Stupid - 4-4-2 formation that should hopefully work to our strengths.

Unfortunatley, we'll have to do without Gavin Holligan - after playing through the pain on Saturday, there's no chance he'll be fit for the replay, although Physio Fox reckons the weekend is a realistic target.

Lewes v Yate Town - FA Cup Third Qualifying Round Replay (12/10/05)

Lewes; 4-1-3-2; Wilkerson, Hankin, Legge, Robinson, Hooper, Kennett*, Johanssen, Taylor, Zadkovich, Sigire, Harkin

Subs; Hinshelwood, Tanner (GK), Coulson, Beckford, Barker

There's the changes then - Mo Harkin in for Holligan, with Hinshelwood, Coulson and Beckford all demoted to the bench. In their place, Martin Johanssen, Jean-Michel Sigire and the aformentioned Harkin. We began well, and quickly established ourselves on the game - Sigire and Harkin missing early chances. The rot set in after about 20 minutes - Wilkerson forced to watch a Pritchard header fly over, before he brilliantly turned a French cross behind. Possibly our best chance of the first half came right at the end of it - Zadkovich linking up well to feed Sigire, who then blazed over with the goal at his mercy. While Barker made his enterance for Taylor at half time, Yate still had opportunities to open the scoring - but on 67, for the first time since the Dartford game, we scored the first goal of the match - Rueben Zadkovich heading home Mo Harkin's run and cross after a well-timed run into the box. Before a succession of time wasting (by us) Substitutions, and a 4 minute period of injury time that appeared from nowhere, much to the derision of our supporters, we did have to endure a short spell of pressure from the visitors, who definatley look a class above their level - Phillips not far away on 83 - but this time, we did hold on, earning a fine victory. 90 minutes away from the First Round now!

Lewes 1 - Yate 0

Attendance; 484

MOM; Ruben Zadkovich (Lewes)

While we did improve, between myself, Stuart Cash and the Player's Committee - skipper Paul Kennett , Senior (Semi)-Pro Dean Hooper and Sean Hankin , who represents the younger players, we've decided that we do still need to make that change to 4-4-2. Our League position worries me immensely, and while it's all well and good that we are enjoying a Cup Run which boosts everyone at the club, we simply cannot afford to be in 20th come the end of April. If we are, we'll be fortunate that due to Conference reorganisation, we won't be going down - but I'm not sure that my contract will be reknewed either.

Meanwhile, we've added £5000 in prize money to the coffers - and Monday's draw pitted the winners of our clash with a visit from Northwood , who came past Oxford City after a replay in the previous round. Wednesday's Internationals saw success for England , who have become the only one of the Home Nations to reach Germany 2006 - Jermaine Defoe and Frank Lampard scoring in a 2-0 win. Ireland ended their unsuccessful campaign with a 1-1 draw at home to Switzerland - Steven Elliott scoring, while Scotland went down 3-1 to Slovenia , with Gary Caldwell scoring his first International goal. Wales beat Azerbijan 2-1, with goals from John Hartson and Mark Delaney , while Aaron Hughes was on target for Northern Ireland in a creditable 1-1 draw with Austria .

Lewes v Havant & Waterlooville - Conference South Game 9 (15/10/05)

Lewes; 4-4-2; Wilkerson, Hustwick, Coulson, Hankin, Legge, Hooper, Johanssen, Kennett*, Zadkovich, Sigire, Harkin

Subs; Hinshelwood, Tanner (GK), Coulson, Beckford, Barker

So it's a flat 4-4-2 - hopefully we'll be able to break and get balls into the box. Holligan's still not 100%, so we've gone with Mo Harkin up front once again. One thing that became immediatley apparent was the time it took for the visitors to get into the game - instead of chances galore within the opening minutes, the first effort wasn't registered till 18 minutes in when David Town blasted over the top. Dean Hooper's ill-timed challenge led to his second booking on 32, and reduced us to 10 men - negating any chance of seeing how this tactic really works. It got worse when Rocky Baptiste headed home on the stroke of half time. Performances though had been generally positive, but with 10 men on the field it was always going to be tough. Barker's inclusion after the break helped matters, and Karl Beckford, also on as a sub for Johanssen, was twice close, and on another day, could have won the game for us. The potential is there - but without Holligan, and with some tiring legs after playing in midweek, it's another defeat.

Lewes 0 - Havant & Waterlooville 1

Attendance; 322

MOM; Sam Pearce (Havant & Waterlooville)

To add to Dean Hooper's one match ban, we'll also have to do without Leon Legge for up to a fortnight - the big defender picked up a bruised jaw after an errant elbow in an aerial challenge. It certainly wasn't deliberate, but, nevertheless it is a blow.

Monday's FA Trophy Second Qualifying Round draw sees us drawn to meet Conference North outfit Alfreton Town . Alfreton are currently flying, and lie 2nd in the Northern Section - a match which will be tough, then.

Gavin Holligan's return was confirmed on Tuesday - the ex-Wycombe man will certainly be a boost to our threadbare squad, and it's little suprise that he is our top scorer this season, albeit with just the four goals. That squad could soon become a little more threadbare too - top earner Jay Lovett has hardly been a regular this season, but Boston United have seen enough to think he warrants an approach. Unfortunatley for us, they aren't offering any cash - but the opportunity to get Jay's £400-a-week off the wage bill is one that I won't be passing up. Should Jay reach agreement over personal terms, he'll link up with former Rook Owen Price - who has bagged four since his £5000 switch - at York Street.

Lewes v Northwood - FA Cup Fourth Qualifying Round (22/10/05)

Lewes; 4-4-2; Wilkerson, Robinson, Coulson, Hankin, Hinshelwood, Taylor, Zadkovich, Kennett*, Johanssen, Sigire, Holligan

Subs; Hustwick, Tanner (GK), Beckford, Harkin, Barker

Three changes then, with Chris Taylor replacing the banned Hooper, Hinshelwood in for the injured Legge and, at right back, Robinson returning for the out of form Hustwick. What did impress me was the pace that we began with - playing sharp, passing football that brought appreciative cheers from the success-starved (this season at least) - Lewes support. The busy Zadkovich headed over on 5 before coming even closer on 17 - Honeyball hooking his placed effort off the line. We had further chances before, on 37, disaster struck - Paul Hinshelwood pulled back Hart, and the striker placed the ball for a penalty. Wilkerson did well, blocking with his body before getting up to see the rebound fly wide. Five minutes later, Hinshelwood made up for his foul with a strong challenge on the same player, but this time, it was just too late - Hart gathered the loose ball, ran through a weak Kennett challenge, and slotted past Wilkerson at the near post. On the stroke of half time, referee Andy Penn became a strong candidate for use as a bonfire effigy in a couple of week's time - awarding a second penalty for a foul on Hart, this time by Robinson. The foul wasn't in question, but to most, it looked outside the area. Kevin Jones stepped up - and promptly put the ball into the car park, bringing cheers of delight from the Lewes support. After the break things started slowly, and things became increasingly desperate. The addition of Barker roused the crowd, and after a false dawn when Sigire was inches away from his cross, we then earnt a free kick deep into injury time. Hankin chipped on, Karl Beckford met it with a glancing header - and Lewes earnt a replay. It was hardly showstopping stuff, and we're not there yet, but now we really are 90 minutes away from either a Cup Exit or a place in the First Round proper.

Lewes 1 - Northwood 1

Attendance; 395

MOM; Neil Hart (Northwood)

With a bit of spare cash in the wage budget, I've decided that strengthening is a must - and Steve Mackay , a Scottish winger who's been playing in Iceland, is our main target. He's 24, and had been playing for Ross County before his Scandanavian sojurn, where he did very well, but became slightly homesick towards the end, and fell out of favour. We could also do with a striker, but a left sided wideman has become priority number one since the shift to 4-4-2.

Sunday morning's perusal of the Non-League Paper, however, with news that Exeter City striker Jake Edwards has gone on the Transfer List at St James' Park. Jake is well known in the Non-League scene, and probably is best remembered for bagging 20 goals in 60 games at Telford. He's also played in his native USA, but seems keen to stay in England. At 29, he would also add a bit of experience. It looks unlikely that any deal would be completed by Wednesday - even with us matching the Grecians £1000 valuation - but news that Jean-Michel Sigire could be out all week after suffering from food poisoning certainly puts a dampener on the buildup to that FA Cup replay.

Although we are not assured of progression, Monday's FA Cup First Round draw was still eagerly awaited - and it's a big one. Should we go through, it'll be Gillingham back at the Dripping Pan. Gillingham, relegated from The Championship last season, are sixth in League One, and will bring plenty for the short trip from Kent, no doubt. Meanwhile, Jay Lovett has agreed terms with Boston United , who'll have to wait until January for the versatile defender to arrive on his free transfer.

Someone who'll arrive a lot before then is Steve Mackay - tying up personal terms on Tuesday morning, to become a Rooks player until the summer of 2007, at least. He'll go straight into training ahead of the trip to Northwood, and should be involved.

Northwood v Lewes - FA Cup Fourth Qualifying Round Replay (22/10/05)

Lewes; 4-4-2; Wilkerson, Robinson, Coulson, Hankin, Legge, Mackay, Zadkovich, Kennett*, Johanssen, Harkin, Holligan

Subs; Hinshelwood, Tanner (GK), Taylor, Beckford, Barker

While Ruben Zadkovich is struggling a little on the fitness front, we're gambling on the Aussie to play for at least the first half. Leon Legge's return however, coupled with a debut for Mackay means there will be changes. Sigire is still confined to the bathroom, so Harkin comes in up front, whilst Taylor makes way for the new Scot. Despite getting off to a slow start, our first chance was a good one - and, better still, we siezed it with open arms. A long ball from Legge found Mackay, who crossed to the near post. Holligan, rather inexplicably - although he is lacking confidence at the moment - tried to hold the ball up on the edge of the six-yard box, but in a tussle, was robbed by Nolan - only for Mo Harkin to slam the loose ball into the net. It was 9 minutes later, on 24, when Northwood equalised - in the worst of circumstances. Steve Mackay picked up the ball and ran at the home sides' defence, but was forced back. With little option, he decided a 30-yard backpass to 'keeper Wilkerson was in order. It wasn't - Mike Hart nipped in, robbed Wilkerson and planted the ball in the unguarded net from 30 yards out. After a quiet ending to the first half, Zadkovich did make way at the interval, replaced by Barker. We came close through Johanssen before entering headless chicken mode and very nearly conceding to Roy Coleman, who screwed his shot wide. Then it came - seemingly out of nothing, Sean Hankin playing a long ball forward for Gavin Holligan . He cleverly nodded the ball wide to Harkin, who pushed the ball into the box for the striker to net his 5th of the season. We did then begin to look quite sharp, with young Robinson close from distance - but early in injury time, it was - again - panic stations in the defence. Fortunatley, this time it worked out ok - and although Townsend did put the ball in the net, referee Eddie Evans became an immediate Lewes hero by ruling the 'goal' out for a push. We've done it!

Northwood 1 - Lewes 2

Attendance; 998

So it's Gillingham in the First Round Proper then - our 'Cup Final', so to speak. Just as impressively, the club's bank balance has shot up by £10,000 - and we're now a shade over £32,000 in the black. Unfortunatley, Paul Kennett picked up a knock against Northwood, and will be ruled out for up to three weeks with a twisted knee.

After consultation with Chairman Terry Parris , we've decided that this financial success deserves reward - and I've been given the go-ahead to increase my backroom staff. We've put a few feelers out, and have approached 4 Coaches and a Physio as well as 2 Scouts to bolster us.

Scout Martyn Brown became the first to accept on Friday - and after a brief introduction session, was asked to check out young talent within the UK. Sussex isn't traditionally known as a breeding ground for young talent - although thanks to the efforts of Brighton & Hove Albion, Eastbourne Borough and, to a lesser extent, ourselves, there are some good, local youngsters coming through - our own Steve Barker certainly, but also the likes of Adam Virgo , who made a £1 Million move to Celtic last summer from Brighton, and those currently still at the Withdean - Jake Robinson, Dean Hammond and Adam Hinshelwood amongst others.

The four new coaches arrived on Friday afternoon - ex-Sheffield United 'keeper Simon Tracey and Dutchman Ivo Den Bieman the first to arrive, before 22-year old Nick Rogan and Scot Craig Robertson put pen to paper in the afternoon. Den Bieman, Rogan and Robertson will help out assistant Stuart Cash with general Coaching, while Tracey is our new specialist goalkeeping coach. The other scout, Jamie Irvine has also arrived, and will be based locally.

Histon v Lewes - Conference South Game 10 (29/10/05)

Lewes; 4-4-2; Wilkerson, Hustwick, Coulson, Hankin*, Legge, Mackay, Zadkovich, Harkin, Johanssen, Barker, Holligan

Subs; Hinshelwood, Tanner (GK), Taylor, Beckford, Sigire

'Ziggy' still isn't totally recovered from a nasty bout of food poisoning, but he is fit enough for a place on the bench, so Barker starts up front, with Harkin moving to the right flank. Kenno's injury means that Sean Hankin takes the captains armband, whilst Hustwick replaces a tired Robinson at right back. As a spectacle, the game wasn't much - we managed just two chances, with Key tipping a Mackay free kick onto the bar and Holligan hitting the side netting. Histon may have created more, but we worked hard as a defensive unit, and Wilkerson, although awarded Man of the Match, didn't have a save to make. We'll take a point, and I sense a win isn't far off - Histon, for the record, went into the game in fifth place...

Histon 0 - Lewes 0

Attendance; 1518

| 1st | | Bognor Regis | | 11 | 7 | 2 | 2 | 16 | 9 | +7 | 23 |

| 2nd | | Bishop's Stortford | | 11 | 6 | 4 | 1 | 10 | 4 | +6 | 22 |

| 3rd | | Weymouth | | 10 | 6 | 3 | 1 | 28 | 10 | +18 | 21 |

| 4th | | Eastbourne Boro | | 11 | 6 | 2 | 3 | 15 | 10 | +5 | 20 |

| 5th | | Histon | | 10 | 4 | 5 | 1 | 13 | 7 | +6 | 17 |

| 6th | | Weston-super-Mare | | 11 | 5 | 2 | 4 | 14 | 11 | +3 | 17 |

| 7th | | Dorchester | | 10 | 4 | 4 | 2 | 12 | 9 | +3 | 16 |

| 8th | | Cambridge City | | 10 | 4 | 4 | 2 | 9 | 6 | +3 | 16 |

| 9th | | Basingstoke | | 11 | 4 | 4 | 3 | 17 | 16 | +1 | 16 |

| 10th | | Yeading | | 11 | 4 | 3 | 4 | 13 | 15 | -2 | 15 |

| 11th | | St. Albans | | 11 | 3 | 5 | 3 | 11 | 11 | 0 | 14 |

| 12th | | Thurrock | | 11 | 3 | 4 | 4 | 13 | 9 | +4 | 13 |

| 13th | | Sutton Utd | | 10 | 3 | 2 | 5 | 17 | 18 | -1 | 11 |

| 14th | | Newport Co | | 11 | 1 | 8 | 2 | 11 | 12 | -1 | 11 |

| 15th | | Havant & W | | 10 | 2 | 5 | 3 | 9 | 12 | -3 | 11 |

| 16th | | Eastleigh | | 11 | 2 | 5 | 4 | 7 | 11 | -4 | 11 |

| 17th | | Carshalton | | 11 | 2 | 5 | 4 | 10 | 15 | -5 | 11 |

| 18th | | Farnborough | | 11 | 2 | 5 | 4 | 8 | 13 | -5 | 11 |

| 19th | | Welling | | 11 | 3 | 2 | 6 | 11 | 22 | -11 | 11 |

| 20th | | Maidenhead | | 10 | 2 | 3 | 5 | 9 | 18 | -9 | 9 |

| 21st | | LEWES | | 10 | 1 | 4 | 5 | 8 | 13 | -5 | 7 |

| 22nd | | Hayes | | 11 | 1 | 3 | 7 | 7 | 17 | -10 | 6 |

</pre>

Cheers loyalwolvesfan icon14.gif

The table shows our position in it's full, grim state - we've managed just one victory all season in the League. With a game in midweek though we'll have another opportunity to quickly turn it around - and hopefully, we'll make the most of a visit from a Sutton side who have lost the same amount of games as ourselves this season.

Monday brought the final member of the backroom team through the door - John Houston is a 59-year old Scottish Physio, someone who has worked with new coach Craig Robertson in the past and comes highly reccomended.

We've also decided to open contract negociations with several players - those who are out of contract at the end of this season. On that list are Sean Hankin, Steve Robinson, Dean Hooper, Mark Coulson, Jean-Michel Sigire and Steve Barker . Currently Hankin, Robinson and Sigire have deals on the table - Steve Barker will be offered one when he turns 17 in December.

Just as interesting is transfer news - Ruben Zadkovich has agreed to complete a Free Transfer from Notts County to become a Lewes player on a permanent basis. The Australian midfielder, a real talent and a big hit in Sussex since his loan arrival, is a big capture, and one who I am personally delighted with. Meanwhile, Jean-Michel Sigire has also signed an extension to his contract.

Tuesday morning, and included in the post is a letter from the FA - Martin Johanssen has reached five yellow cards, and will be banned for one game. Why they couldn't have told me in the usual way, in form of fax, I have no idea, but they didn't in any case. On a far better note, Sean Hankin put pen to paper on a deal until 2008.

The third of the trimuvirate to be offered new deals, Steve Robinson , agreed terms on Wednesday morning. Wednesday, however, brought transfer news to boot - Mark Coulson the subject of a £5000 bid from Grays . With Coulson out of contract soon, and the ridiculous Transfer Window in operation for Conference National clubs, I've decided to accept the offer - no deal would complete until New Year's Day.

Lewes v Sutton United - Conference South Game 11 (2/11/05)

Lewes; 4-4-2; Wilkerson, Robinson, Coulson, Hankin*, Legge, Mackay, Zadkovich, Beckford, Taylor, Sigire, Holligan

Subs; Hinshelwood, Tanner (GK), Hooper, Barker, Harkin

Hustwick, Harkin, Johanssen and Barker all out of the starting lineup, with Robinson, Beckford, Taylor and Sigire in. What immediatley hit me was the positive attitude with which we paid - the support instantly got behind us, and it was highly irritating to see Sutton take the lead on 8 when Pitcher's ball put ex-Rook Luke Cornwall away to cross for Ali Chaaban to arc a header into the net. If the first was irritating, the second - coming after a spell of pressure in which we could have scored through Taylor and Holligan - was plain devastating. Legge suffered from a rare concentration lapse as Gonsalves crossed, and Cornwall got in to poke the ball past Wilkerson - a feat that he failed to do on regular occasions when at the Dripping Pan permanently. Not to be outdone, we almost instantly hit back - Emberson pushing away from Coulson's inswinging cross. Sigire, too, came close just before the break. Beckford went off at the interval, replaced by Harkin to add a little more pace to our attack. Just before the hour, Robinson came close for us - and it became clear that we would score before too long. The goal, when it came, was on 72 minutes - stand-in skipper Sean Hankin heading home Zadkovich's corner. With legs tiring, we threw on Barker for Sigire and Hinshelwood for Legge - and then hit the bar on 87 through Holligan. Barker too had a late chance, firing wide, but the effort was certainly there - and, for one of the first times this season, the reaction as the lads walked off was highly enthusiastic. We are getting there!

Lewes 1 - Sutton Utd 2

Attendance; 324

MOM; Tony Quinton (Sutton Utd)

Cheers Supa Playa icon_smile.gif - it's not going great so far, but hopefully we'll find the mix soon.

Sean Hankin's performance - and goal - came out of the top drawer, but another booking means that he too will serve a one-game ban. At least Martin Johanssen is available to return on Saturday.

Friday brought a decision from Mark Coulson - although he'll continue to be a key part of our squad until then, Mark will sign for Grays in a deal worth £5000 on New Year's Day. The opportunity is too good for him, as a player to pass up - and us too, with the defender out of contract at the end of the season. His rival for the left back slot, Dean Hooper , is too up for reknewal at the end of the campaign - and will no doubt want to show he has what it takes to stay in the squad.

That though, is in the future - it's Cup fever!

The Sun - Kick Off! - Saturday 5th November 2005

FA Cup First Round Previews

Rooks hoping for Bonfire Fireworks

'Conference South strugglers Lewes face League One highflyers Gillingham in one of the ties of the round at The Dripping Pan. Lewes, who have been given odds of 30/1 by the bookmakers, have struggled this season and lie one place off the bottom of Conference South, although new manager Stuart Fairway has been hampered with injuries and suspension. On the other hand, the Gills have responded well to their summer relegation, with Neale Cooper's men currently lying 7th in League One.

Rooks boss Fairway said; "November the 5th is a very special time in Lewes as it is, with proud Sussex men and women carrying out a 400-year old tradition. Hopefully, this year it can also be remembered for footballing success. It would be wonderful for us to beat Gillingham, although it will be a very tricky encounter. We're just looking forward to it - this is our Cup Final."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lewes v Gillingham - FA Cup First Round (5/11/05)

Lewes; 4-4-2; Wilkerson, Robinson, Coulson, Hinshelwood, Legge, Mackay, Zadkovich, Johanssen, Taylor, Sigire*, Holligan

Subs; Hustwick, Tanner (GK), Hooper, Barker, Harkin

With Hankin banned and Beckford rested, Paul Hinshelwood and Martin Johanssen come in - with Ziggy taking the captains armband. After an encouraging performance in defeat against Sutton, if there is one day I really wish we could get a win, it's today. I've never seen The Pan so packed - there's over 2000 people here, and a lot are Lewesians keen to see the side that they hardly bother coming to watch play against one that gets disproportionate coverage on local television. Both sides came out to rapturous applause, and set about each other. If it wasn't obvious before, it was clear after just 45 seconds - we would have a battle on our hands. Fortunatley, the Kentish side didn't score with their first attack, Wilkerson instead palming over from Moses Ashikodi. Another fantastic save denied Hislop on 6, before the inevitable on 14 - Moses Ashikodi arriving at the far post to meet a Jarvis cross from a matter of yards. Gillingham's second followed four minutes later - loanee striker Ashikodi again on target, this time from close range after Spiller's rocket was blocked by the brave Wilkerson. From the very next chance, we scored - sending the Philcox Stand into a delighted sea of red and black. Hinshelwood's long ball earnt us a throw, and when Robinson's searching cross found Chris Taylor , the ex-Swindon man picked the perfect time to head the ball beyond Bullock. Unfortunatley, it didn't last long - Steve Hislop practically walked in the third after a defence-splitting move down the wing, before Moses Ashikodi secured his hatrick on 28 with a close-range header from Hislop's cross. The beauty of two strikers working in tandem was not lost on me - and maybe one of the reasons for our awful run was that we stuck with 5-4-1 for too long. Of all the things you wouldn't have expected, however, we achieved it - Jean Michel-Sigire taking advantage of Johanssen's deflected pass into the box to outmuscle Chris Hope and poke the ball home. At the break Steve Mackay made way for Steve Barker, with the teenager surely relishing the occasion. The second half, however, began slowly - Wilkerson again saving from Ashikodi, but other than that, chances were few and far between. 11 minutes from time Zadkovich came close for us - Bullock saving his deflected effort - before referee Andy Penn brought a very entertaining 94 minutes of football to an end to cheers from both sets of supporters. The Cup dream is over - but what a performance!

Lewes 2 - Gillingham 4

Attendance; 2064

MOM; Moses Ashikodi (Gillingham)

The team talk at the end was not one of critiscim - it was one of praise. The boys played superbly, especially youngster Barker, who was a real thorn in Gillingham's side after coming on. Unfortunatley, Steve Robinson picked up a knock - a gash to his head, in the match. Although he completed the game, he did so - Terry Butcher style - with a bandage surrounding his forehead. He'll now be out for up to a fortnight.

Lewes v Weymouth - Conference South Game 12 (8/11/05)

Lewes; 4-4-2; Wilkerson, Lovett, Coulson, Hankin*, Legge, Mackay, Harkin, Johanssen, Hooper, Sigire, Holligan

Subs; Hinshelwood, Tanner (GK), Beckford, Zadkovich, Barker

With a very tough game on Saturday as well as tonight, there are inevitably changes with players tiring as we enter the winter peiod of sodden - or worse, frozen - pitches. Hinshelwood, Zadkovich and Taylor are all rested, with Robinson out injured. Lovett comes in at right back, with Hankin taking back the captains armband in defence. Harkin replaces a tired Zadkovich on the right, whilst Hooper replaces the tired goal hero of Gillingham, Chris Taylor. The game started at an all-action pace, and after Sigire had seen one saved, Weymouth came to our end and planted one in the net. It wasn't quite that simple, however - Varney theatrically falling under a Hankin challenge, but getting the penalty nevertheless, which Lee Elam despatched coolly. On 14 Holligan came close for us, but on 29, Hooper showed petulance with a sly push on Hutchinson, and Andy Harris made no mistake, curling in a free kick. Johanssen came off at half time, but the team talk was more one of encouragement than anything else - Barker replacing the Swede. What we certainly didn't need was Dean Hooper's third dismissal of his Lewes career on 62 - another shove on Hutchinson which this time didn't escape the attentions of the officials. Ruben Zadkovich immediatley replaced Sigire - and then scored two minutes later, meeting the rebound after Barker's shot had come back off 'keeper Lee-Barrett. Steve Barker could have levelled on 70, bombing past Harris only to shoot over, before Lee Elam tapped home Jackson's centre on 79 to leave us in the dust again. It was then mostly going in Weymouth's favour - Wilkerson making a couple of superb stops - but after Barker again fired into the Philcox Stand, Gavin Holligan fired a shot that hit both posts on it's way in as the match went into injury time, Mackay's cracking lofted ball creating the opportunity. No comeback - but against the League Leaders, this was not a bad result. The performance, again, was - yep, that word once more - 'encouraging'.

Lewes 2 - Weymouth 3

Attendance; 341

MOM; Lee Elam (Weymouth)

Instead, my anger was reserved for Dean Hooper . Three dismissals in his short spell at Lewes to date is simply unacceptable, and Dean has been fined a week's wages. It would hardly suprise me if the discaplinary committee decided to extend his suspension either.

On a far more positive note, reports have come back on three players that we've been watching - with two permanent and one loan deal potentially on the cards. We're trying to keep everything under wraps at the moment, so no deal is likely before the weekend, but it would be excellent if we could get even one of the three - all of who currently play for Football League clubs.

Alfreton Town v Lewes - FA Trophy Second Qualifying Round (12/11/05)

Lewes; 4-4-2; Wilkerson, Lovett, Hankin*, Hinshelwood, Legge, Taylor, Harkin, Johanssen, Coulson, Sigire, Holligan

Subs; Hustwick, Tanner (GK), Beckford, Zadkovich, Barker

With Hooper suspended and Mackay rested, there are two inclusions from the side who lost at home to Weymouth - Chris Taylor and Paul Hinshelwood return to the starting lineup. Alfreton, as would have been expected from a side lying top of Conference North, attacked early on - Stevenson firing an overhead kick horribly wide before Turner grazed the bar. We too had chances, but the first half, as a spectacle, was woeful. At the break I introduced Zadkovich and Barker, and told the lads that one goal would probably win it. They responded well, and when a long ball over the top found Ruben Zadkovich , the Aussie midfielder ran on to score a fine goal. Holligan took a knock soon after, and was replaced by Beckford, with Zadkovich and Harkin providing an unusual strike paring. Stevenson again let his side down as the game ticked towards a conclusion, but on 87, Ruben Zadkovich cut across the box from Beckford's through ball to net with a good strike. In injury time, Ruben Zadkovich claimed his hatrick - and weather the new signing or myself was more happy is a matter for debate. Whatever, the ex-Notts County man changed the game, and a 3-0 victory is a fantastic result. Now to turn the corner in the league!

Alfreton 0 - Lewes 3

Attendance; 183

MOM; Ruben Zadkovich (Lewes)

Cheers Bri - I was pleased to get him. Hopefully we'll start to improve in the League now.

While the board, and myself, were delighted with the performance, there was disapointment to come in the form of a rejection from one of those transfer targets - Stockport defender Ludovic Djé saying No to a move down to Sussex. Meanwhile, Russ Tanner has also picked up a cold - we'll send him home until he's fully recovered, as the last thing we need now is a virulent illness spreading throughout the club. Transfer target three of three (No, he's not part of The Borg), Jamie Brooks - who would have come on loan from Oxford, has also said no. Dean Hooper's ban has also been extended.

On Monday, however, one of the three did agree to make the move - Rushden & Diamonds defensive midfielder Magnus Okuonghae , 19, was born in Croydon to Nigerian parents, and has said that he is 'delighted' with the opportunity. Hopefully his arrival will take some of the pressure off Paul Kennett , previously the only natural in the 'holding' midfield role. Meanwhile, in one of those strange footballing ironies, we'll play Croydon in the Third Qualifying Round of the FA Trophy - Magnus' parents will be pleased.

Wednesday evening saw a shock in the World Cup Qualifying Playoffs - Spain will not go to Germany 2006 after crashing out to Poland. Norway and Portugal complete the European Qualifyers. There's now just the playoff games between the Oceania group winners - Australia and South Americans Uraguay, and in Asia Kuwait face CONACAF side Jamacia.

Disaster strikes on Thursday morning, with a very ill-looking Jay Lovett calling into my office. He's picked up a Virus - not a mere cold like Russ Tanner . We've sent him home, with instructions not to return to training until he is feeling better - there is no way that we want that spreading around the place either. Steve Robinson , however, is fit, reducing the pressure on the right of defence slightly.

Farnborough v Lewes - Conference South Game 13 (19/11/05)

Lewes; 4-4-2; Wilkerson, Hustwick, Coulson, Hankin*, Legge, Mackay, Harkin, Okuonghae, Zadkovich, Sigire, Holligan

Subs; Hinshelwood, Tanner (GK), Beckford, Johanssen, Barker

With Tanner shrugging off his cold in time to travel to fellow strugglers Farnborough, and a debut for new boy Magnus Okuonhgae, there is real confidence ahead of the game. Hustwick replaces Lovett - Robinson not considered fit - while Zadkovich starts and Mackay also returns on the left wing. On a bitterly cold, wet, Surrey afternoon, the home side opened the scoring with their first chance - Micheal Rankine seeing his cross evade everyone and nestle in the bottom corner, without really knowing how he did it - not the best of starts. We recovered well though, and on 14, Sigire fed Steve Mackay for the Scottish winger to draw level with a placed effort from the edge of the area. With new signing Okuonhgae working his socks off in midfield, we began to establish a real presence in the game, and after forcing a save through Harkin on 22, took the lead 10 minutes later. It was a real howler for young Farnborough 'keeper Scriven - as he came out to intercept a pass, Gavin Holligan took the ball off his toes and slotted home from the edge of the area. We went in by far the happier at the break, and immediatley after it, came out and grabbed another - Sigire's inch-perfect pass finding Holligan, who flicked through for Ruben Zadkovich to beat Scriven with a low effort into the corner. It was now all Lewes - Sigire and Holligan both having chances. A change on 65 introduced a young man who surely has a big future, and just three minutes later, Steve Barker added to that growing reputation - finishing a Zadkovich pass from just inside the box. We reached dreamland - and could have had more. Farnborough did pull one back when Bobby Howe poked Warner's cross beyond Wilkerson three minutes later, but there would be no comeback. Worse still for Farnborough - Lewis Haldane saw red for a petulant push on Hinshelwood in injury time. A win? - Check. In the league? - Check. Happy? - Check, Check, Check!

Farnborough 2 - Lewes 4

Attendance; 685

MOM; Ruben Zadkovich

Cheers priam icon_smile.gif

We remain 21st, but Paul Kennett's return from injury is another boost after a superb performance and our second win of the season - now to reward the 'Home' fans with a win back in Sussex.

With the FA Trophy Third Qualifying Round coming up on Saturday, and then a crucial game against bottom of the league Hayes in the League next Tuesday, training will be fairly intensive this week - we'll certainly have to rotate, and it may well be that the Trophy gives way to the League in terms of importance.

Monday morning, and another transfer offer - Karl Beckford this time. Notts County want the midfield man, who has fallen from favour in recent weeks - and we'll accept their excellent offer. £5000 cash, plus half of any future sell-on, as well as a Preseason Friendly match in the summer. Again, the deal wouldn't go through until New Year's Day, should Karl agree personal terms at Meadow Lane. It took until Thursday for Karl Beckford to agree a deal - returning in a very enthusiastic mood from Nottingham after his talks with manager Gudjon Poroarson , an Icelander who had a spell at Stoke not so long ago.

Croydon v Lewes - FA Trophy Third Qualifying Round (26/11/05)

Lewes; 4-4-2; Wilkerson, Hustwick, Hooper, Hankin*, Legge, Taylor, Harkin, Okuonghae, Johanssen, Holligan, Barker

Subs; Hinshelwood, Tanner (GK), Kennett, Beckford, Sigire

Hooper, Taylor, Johanssen and Barker all start - Sigire, Coulson, Zadkovich and Mackay all rested with one eye on that crucial game on Tuesday. There should still be enough firepower to see off Ryman Leaguers Croydon, in my opinion, and it'll be another chance for new boy Okuonghae to impress, especially in his own back yard and with returning skipper Paul Kennett amongst the substitutes. The opening was scrappy, with Dean Hooper marking his return to the first team with a booking after just 12 minutes. We did seem in charge though, and on 22, things got better - Croydon's Craig Barnett sent off for a professional foul on young Barker. 8 minutes later, we took advantage of the extra space - and in some style too. Hankin, Hooper, Barker, Johanssen and Taylor were all involved - the latter pulling the ball level for Mo Harkin to drill into the corner of the net. We continued to pressurise - Taylor crossing for Harkin to head over just before the break, before Holligan and the goalscorer made way at the break for Sigire and Beckford. Leon Legge, having a blinder, made a rare error on 59 - fortunatley Walker looked the gift cross in the mouth, so to speak, and headed well wide. While chances were coming for both sides, we never really looked likely to concede, and on 88, Martin Johanssen rifled Taylor's pass in off the woodwork. We've reached the First Round proper!

Croydon 0 - Lewes 2

Attendance; 800

MOM; Leon Legge (Lewes)

£3000 and progression to the First Round proper of the Premier Non-League Cup competition is just reward for what was a slightly weakened side. We've now won three on the bounce, and I couldn't be happier with recent performances - now to gun our way back up the table to the safe, mid-table position predicted at the start of the season - or the playoff spot which I still hold out a slight hope of achieving.

Tuesday morning's draw sees us pull out a trip to Unibond First Division side Warrington Town in the First Round of the FA Trophy - it's a long trek, and as the game comes the Saturday before Christmas, I'm not expecting us to take many fans with us.

Lewes v Hayes - Conference South Game 14 (29/11/05)

Lewes; 4-4-2; Wilkerson, Robinson, Coulson, Hankin, Legge, Mackay, Harkin, Kennett, Zadkovich, Holligan, Sigire

Subs; Hinshelwood, Tanner (GK), Okuonghae, Johanssen, Barker

No less than six changes after the FA Trophy victory - Robinson, Coulson, Mackay, Kennett, Zadkovich and Sigire all return - Hustwick, Hooper, Taylor, Okuonghae, Johanssen and young Barker all missing out, although the final three all make the bench. We started by far the brighter, and after just five minutes, won a free kick which Steve Mackay scored from 30-yards out. Our West London visitors were reduced to 10 men all of three minutes later - McKenna dismissed for continued dissent. While Paul Kennett was settling well on his return to the team, he was unfortunate to deflect Micheal Bartley's driven effort - a shot which required a good stop from Wilkerson on 15. Five minutes later, we put some more breathing space between ourselves and the opposition - Sigire tripped by Jeffrey, with Mo Harkin drilling the penalty straight down the middle and into the net. Sigire, Holligan and Mackay then had a succession of chances, with Kennett also close on the stroke of half time - and it was something of a miracle for the visitors that they had just a two-goal defecit at the interval. On 51, after no changes at half time, we did add a third - Mackay's pass finding Sigire, who crossed for Gavin Holligan to net with a firm, sidefooted effort. Zazkovich made way for Barker on 64, but on 73, we were forced into a second change - Legge helped off after a heavy challenge, with Hinshelwood coming on for the ex-Hailsham man. Hayes best chance came on 81 - Knight hitting a powerful volley which Wilkerson did well to stop. As Hankin hooked the ball away, play quickly switched from our penalty box to the Hayes 18-Yard area - and Sigire struck the side netting. A little silliness marred the end - our Sean Hankin and Hayes' Stuart Goodall dismissed after a set-to - but when Barker and Kennett combined, Gavin Holligan smashed the ball home with almost the final kick of the game to make it four. Superb!

Lewes 4 - Hayes 0

Attendance; 344

MOM; Steve Mackay (Lewes)

The physios have informed me that Leon Legge has picked up a bruised jaw that could see him out for up to a fortnight. Sean Hankin is also certainly banned for one game, and that could be extended. In any case, we'll appeal - it looked that the Hayes lad caused more trouble than anything else.

The almost inevitable reply - that the FA won't reconsider Sean's ban - came back on Thursday. It's a blow, but with the discaplinary committee meeting to discuss the case on Tuesday, it could get worse. On the whole though, it was a quiet week, and though we'll go into the game on Saturday with a patched up back line, opponents Yeading are on a run of three defeats. As we know, that's certainly a confidence sapper.

Yeading v Lewes - Conference South Game 15 (3/12/05)

Lewes; 4-4-2; Wilkerson, Robinson, Coulson, Hinshelwood, Hustwick, Mackay, Harkin, Kennett, Zadkovich, Holligan, Sigire

Subs; Hooper, Tanner (GK), Okuonghae, Johanssen, Barker

Hinshelwood and Hustwick in, the injured Legge and banned Hankin out. Otherwise we are unchanged, and started like it too - Holligan smashing over the top on 7 before Jean-Michel Sigire fired home Zadkovich's through ball to beat 'keeper Hart at the far post. It was then all Lewes - Harkin hit wide, Zadkovich headed over and then Sigire had a cross cut out by Hart. Yeading Player/Manager Johnson Hippolyte had the home sides' best chance on 16, heading across goal only for Wilkerson to cut it out. 8 minutes later, he would be beaten - by one of his own players. As a corner flashed across the goal, Paul Hinshelwood lunged, and only succeeded in hooking the ball into his own net. It wasn't what we needed, but our play inspired confidence, and on 40, Mackay bravely dived in to a challenge, knocking the ball loose to Ruben Zadkovich , who needed no invitation to put us back ahead with a piledriver from the edge of the area. Harkin made way for Johanssen at the break, and the Swede was instantly amongst the action, firing wide twice in his first five minutes on the pitch. Yeading were playing with all the confidence of a side in their situation, and it was hardly a suprise when Coulson's cross provided Gavin Holligan the opportunity to notch up his 10th goal of the season. Hooper came on for a tiring Robinson towards the end, but aside from a Leach header that was tipped over by Wilkerson, the game trickled to a conclusion with little further action.

Yeading 1 - Lewes 3

Attendance; 331

MOM; Steve Mackay (Lewes)

| 1st | | Weymouth | | 14 | 10 | 3 | 1 | 40 | 12 | +28 | 33 |

| 2nd | | Bishop's Stortford | | 14 | 8 | 4 | 2 | 12 | 7 | +5 | 28 |

| 3rd | | Eastbourne Boro | | 14 | 8 | 3 | 3 | 24 | 14 | +10 | 27 |

| 4th | | Bognor Regis | | 15 | 7 | 5 | 3 | 18 | 12 | +6 | 26 |

| 5th | | Histon | | 14 | 6 | 6 | 2 | 18 | 11 | +7 | 24 |

| 6th | | Dorchester | | 15 | 5 | 7 | 3 | 21 | 17 | +4 | 22 |

| 7th | | Weston-super-Mare | | 15 | 6 | 4 | 5 | 17 | 14 | +3 | 22 |

| 8th | | St. Albans | | 15 | 5 | 7 | 3 | 17 | 15 | +2 | 22 |

| 9th | | Cambridge City | | 14 | 6 | 4 | 4 | 12 | 12 | 0 | 22 |

| 10th | | Newport Co | | 15 | 4 | 9 | 2 | 18 | 14 | +4 | 21 |

| 11th | | Maidenhead | | 15 | 5 | 4 | 6 | 16 | 24 | -8 | 19 |

| 12th | | Basingstoke | | 14 | 4 | 6 | 4 | 21 | 22 | -1 | 18 |

| 13th | | Thurrock | | 14 | 4 | 5 | 5 | 18 | 13 | +5 | 17 |

| 14th | | Carshalton | | 15 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 14 | 21 | -7 | 17 |

| 15th | | LEWES | | 15 | 4 | 4 | 7 | 22 | 21 | +1 | 16 |

| 16th | | Havant & W | | 15 | 3 | 7 | 5 | 16 | 19 | -3 | 16 |

| 17th | | Farnborough | | 14 | 3 | 6 | 5 | 13 | 19 | -6 | 15 |

| 18th | | Yeading | | 15 | 4 | 3 | 8 | 14 | 22 | -8 | 15 |

| 19th | | Sutton Utd | | 15 | 4 | 2 | 9 | 21 | 26 | -5 | 14 |

| 20th | | Eastleigh | | 15 | 2 | 8 | 5 | 12 | 17 | -5 | 14 |

| 21st | | Welling | | 15 | 3 | 3 | 9 | 16 | 33 | -17 | 12 |

| 22nd | | Hayes | | 15 | 2 | 3 | 10 | 9 | 24 | -15 | 9 |

</pre>

Archived