Adding/removing databases.

Why hello there.

Like most of us I suspect that I am rather stuck in my FMing ways. I've been buying a football management game from 1995 on wards. First CM (having borrowed Sensible Soccer for years), then FM once it was clear who won after the split. Well, a few years after it, when CM went down the toilet and I had to say goodbye. Remember that version a few years post split? The one that kept crashing and seemed like it had been programmed by a blind chimp with an extra chromosome? I do, all too well. Any way, I can remember the CM (&SS), then FM, days of experimentation. Trying loads of jobs, working my way up from a promoted championship team, waiting for a bigger premiership job. Then, as you could play more than one league, adding Italy and Spain and hoping for a job offer from Fiorentina (due to being a fan of some sort), perhaps Juve or Milan. Then the days playing as Barnet until I had them winning the champions league, and finally got offered the English job; having already been offered every other international management job going eight or so times. After that came the editing the database years. Oh what a joy it was to have a whole team of myself, with variants of my name, 20 in every stat. Didn't last for long, but it was fun. More fun was making my Chelsea dream team, especially as back then Roman hadn't bought out Chelsea yet, so it actually made a relatively large difference. In among all this there were of course all the leagues with friends, at first nothing would beat having someone you knew, who was right there, behind another league team; we all know those fixtures were special. Personally though I preferred the long dark nights of silent, or perhaps music laden, FM grind. When I had to get up for school at 7 but had only gone to bed at 6:30. Instead woke up at 12, then showered, ate and played more FM. Or if i was going to go and resume my education, I played matches prior and post shower, while eating breakfast, and so on.

Well, those days are gone, and I don't just mean in a "oh those were the days" sense. When I am not at work now, and have free time from my family (my birthday is in October so i left my wife buy me FM, as she knows it is at least one present she'll get right each year) I do still play a lot, and on a much, much, much faster computer. That said I haven't played anything other than England/Spain/Italy, and recently Germany, games for the past ten odd years. Always Chelsea, same start date, often similar players bought to begin with, quite often same formation. I still love it though; It's the only game I still play these days (probably a good thing). Any way, I just started my first different game for an age: England/Spain/Germany/Italy/France/Holland/Greece/Ukraine/Russia/Brazil/Argentina/Turkey/Scotland/Portugal/Belgium, with an advanced database (first time for this too); all players in continental competitions and all players in international teams. What I was wondering was, are there any well know but not properly ironed out issues with adding or removing databases? Best times to do it at, doing one at a time perhaps, any well know residual issues that I might want to look out for? If the game seems too slow I am going to remove a few layers off some league systems, and others all together. Part of the reason I have left off trying to use this facet (extracting them in game that is) is because I assumed it would take a while to get it ironed out and integrated properly. On top of that, if there are any people who have played out their usual game to a sufficient extent, do you have any other good recommendations for leagues/game set ups to try?

When the add/remove option was first introduced, it was definitely bugged, but it seems to work very well now. I use it extensively and haven't had any issues at all on the last couple of versions.

If you're looking for a more challenging or just different experience, try setting certain rules for yourself. Maybe have a look in the challenges forum for inspiration...

Man, that was a long old post to ask a simple question :D

Lol, yeah. Starting a new different game got me thinking about the old days, came to ask a basic question and it just flooded out. Seemed a shame to delete it, such precious memories are therein contained.

When the add/remove option was first introduced, it was definitely bugged, but it seems to work very well now. I use it extensively and haven't had any issues at all on the last couple of versions.

If you're looking for a more challenging or just different experience, try setting certain rules for yourself. Maybe have a look in the challenges forum for inspiration...

Danke, good sir. Didn't see your post at first. Hopefully I won't have to remove any of the leagues but you never know.

Archived