Tactics working well and suddenly, turning horrficly bad ***FM2013***

In some pre-match interviews, journalists ask me:

"Manager 'A' knows how you are going to play, are you up for any tactical surprises?" (I am usually not!)

Like if they are confirming that they know your playing style to well and your team will get smashed in the forthcoming match :p:brock:

Well, I have some enquiries on that:

1. How am-I supposed to change tactics every few games, to avoid AI to learn my style of play, when my team will under-perform anyway, because they don't know the formation etc?

2. If they say that the opponent manager will know how I'm playing, I might slightly change the players' duties but mainly, I'm plpaying up with the match shouts. Changing tactics barely ever got me any good result.

3. In various leagues I've played, it looks like by the last third of the season, defending or scoring is not happening and the misery in general, is unbearable. Very rarely I managed to have a consistent team through out the season. My issue is why so abruptly, my team is turning so bad, while we have been doing quite well before?

Check the scores before and after the Dordmund match, towards the end (goals F/A: 13-25 since that match!)

OLjBxjQ.png

Thanks for your time to read this.

1. How am-I supposed to change tactics every few games, to avoid AI to learn my style of play, when my team will under-perform anyway, because they don't know the formation etc?

You have the option of setting up three tactics/formations which gives you three different tactics/formations for each match.

2. If they say that the opponent manager will know how I'm playing, I might slightly change the players' duties but mainly, I'm plpaying up with the match shouts. Changing tactics barely ever got me any good result.

Very minor effect I would imagine on the outcome.

3. In various leagues I've played, it looks like by the last third of the season, defending or scoring is not happening and the misery in general, is unbearable. Very rarely I managed to have a consistent team through out the season. My issue is why so abruptly, my team is turning so bad, while we have been doing quite well before?

One word - Pressure (Hidden attribute)

Pressure is increased in the final stages of the season, your players seem to be handling it for most of the season but struggle in the final stages.

The answer is better squad building and take note of the strengths & weaknesses when signing players.

#1:

What I call different tactics, is e.g. playing 4-4-2 rigid/attacking and change it for a difficult match to 5-4-1 very rigid/defensive.

I sometimes had a couple of diferent versions of 4-1-2-2-1. So, same formation but with variations in style, strategy, players roles, duties and instructions.

Even then, the familiarity bars would never pick up enough and the team seemed to always struggle, as they never knew any of the tactics to well.

A couple of seasons I had a balanced/control 4-1-2-2-1 as my main one, an overload/fluid 4-1-2-3 and a very rigid/defensive 3-4-2-1, it was even worse.

How am-I supposed to handle these changes then?

#2:

You definitely have a point there!

#3:

If pressure is a hidden attribute, how am-I supposed to take note of it? :eek:

Would you suggest that I get rid some of my players who have a weakness "important matches"?

Which ones are the loosers' weaknesses to look out for?

The AI never learns your style of play. Ever. The opponent manager never knows how you are going to play. If they ask you this in a press conference, it is nothing more than that.

All that happens is opposition teams will alter how they play against you depending on your clubs reputation and/or how successful you are being.

So, if you have gone on a decent run of matches, after a while opponents will start to tighten up against you - they play more defensively and with a greater counter attacking threat. Not because they have learned your system, it's because you are winning matches. If this happens, and you don't change how you play, then results can start to dry up and you start losing.

There is no need to make large changes when this happens. Small adjustments are all that is needed, which won't dramatically impact your team's tactical familiarity. Personally I never change my base tactic. I start every game in the same manner, but I make small adjustments during matches if required as each match develops.

For me, if I come up against someone playing defensively and trying to me hit on the break, I make sure I'm not over exposing myself at the back (to avoid their counter attacks) and add a little more creativity when in possession to help break down their defences. I don't know if that would work for you as I don't know your tactic or how you play, so you may need to experiment.

The AI never learns your style of play. Ever. The opponent manager never knows how you are going to play. If they ask you this in a press conference, it is nothing more than that.

All that happens is opposition teams will alter how they play against you depending on your clubs reputation and/or how successful you are being.

Up to about the first two thirds of the season, an average team like mine was 5th, closer to Schalke (4th) than Nurnberg (5th), with the 5th best defence and attack performance.

What I have noticed, is not the opponent parking the bus and scoring on the counter-attack.

They literally, have 55% possession or more, plenty of attempted crosses, shots, headers till they actually score (and believe me, it does not take them to long)!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, if you have gone on a decent run of matches, after a while opponents will start to tighten up against you - they play more defensively and with a greater counter attacking threat. Not because they have learned your system, it's because you are winning matches. If this happens, and you don't change how you play, then results can start to dry up and you start losing.

I tried to play wide against 4-4-2 formations and after taking into account the "team average position data", I went narrow and dropped back against narrow pushed-up attacking 4-1-3-2 (Schalke) or 4-1-2-1-2 (Dortmund) and it all ended in drama (3-0 and 4-0 respectively, away).

I changed my tactics from very rigid/attacking 4-2-3-1 to balanced/standard 4-4-1-1 and except the last match of the season at home (0-0 against little Herta!), I kept conceding 3-4 goals per match!

This is why I do not think it's a tactics' issue, I think what Cougar2010 said #One word - Pressure (Hidden attribute)# plays a major role at this level.

I have noticed some of my players, even with attributes over 16, they get a melt down after 2 continuous defeats and their performance is consistently dropping.

They are already put in the transfer list!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is no need to make large changes when this happens. Small adjustments are all that is needed, which won't dramatically impact your team's tactical familiarity. Personally I never change my base tactic. I start every game in the same manner, but I make small adjustments during matches if required as each match develops.

For me, if I come up against someone playing defensively and trying to me hit on the break, I make sure I'm not over exposing myself at the back (to avoid their counter attacks) and add a little more creativity when in possession to help break down their defences. I don't know if that would work for you as I don't know your tactic or how you play, so you may need to experiment.

I will try the "more creativity" option during summer friendlies, with more new players and see what it comes up with.

#1:

What I call different tactics, is e.g. playing 4-4-2 rigid/attacking and change it for a difficult match to 5-4-1 very rigid/defensive.

I sometimes had a couple of diferent versions of 4-1-2-2-1. So, same formation but with variations in style, strategy, players roles, duties and instructions.

Even then, the familiarity bars would never pick up enough and the team seemed to always struggle, as they never knew any of the tactics to well.

A couple of seasons I had a balanced/control 4-1-2-2-1 as my main one, an overload/fluid 4-1-2-3 and a very rigid/defensive 3-4-2-1, it was even worse.

How am-I supposed to handle these changes then?

Wanting the familiarity bars maxed all the time is OCD and not needed.

I have three formations which I make minor adjustments to each match (Such as roles/duties/TIs/PIs).

#3:

If pressure is a hidden attribute, how am-I supposed to take note of it? :eek:

Would you suggest that I get rid some of my players who have a weakness "important matches"?

Which ones are the loosers' weaknesses to look out for?

If you have too many players in the squad who are weak in terms of pressure/important matches then your team will suffer. The players you have with this as a strength the less likely it is to happen.

The answer is scout well and don't build a squad full of mentally weak players.

Wanting the familiarity bars maxed all the time is OCD and not needed.

I have three formations which I make minor adjustments to each match (Such as roles/duties/TIs/PIs).

Hahaha, it might be an OCD, but each season, around November time, all bars are maxed to a single tactic/strategy/mentality :p

If you have too many players in the squad who are weak in terms of pressure/important matches then your team will suffer. The players you have with this as a strength the less likely it is to happen.

The answer is scout well and don't build a squad full of mentally weak players.

I have 3 or 4 players with weakness:important matches as well as some others who don't have it, but after 1-2 continuous losses, they get a melt down and perform under 6.00 AR.

Thanks for the information, it is definitely precious to know and there is definitely a massive clear-out to do now, as preseason period only just started!

Archived