Tactic familiarity

I can't find it now but I believe there was a thread on tactic familiarity recently where Marc said that prior formation training isn't required in the mobile version. So I was quite surprised to see the following comment at the end of a (very bad) match: "Players confused by unusual formation".

For context, I switch between a standard 3-5-3 and 4-4-2. In the match in question, I used 3-5-3 with one new change- middle CM (striker by role, yellow circle by competence) was instructed to be an APM instead of a CM.

What did I mix up?

To elaborate a little more, my midfield trio were BWM, DLP, APM. In the following match I made the BWM into CM and everything clicked. Both opponents were of similar strength, same formation, both away. I assume lack of a dedicated CM left a possible hole in the midfield but I'm still puzzled by my players being confused by a standard formation with a single change.

• SI Staff

Thayers confused by unusual formation - this indicates you were using a formation which the game doesn't recognise as being a standard or well balanced one, its a warning that it might be prone to leaving an area of the pitch unusually weak.

For instance if you've 3 at the back and all the midfielders are MC or above then you're asking a huge amount of the defense?

So I wanted to follow up on this. Playing a 3-5-2 versus predominantly 4-4-2s. CD, BPD, CD / W, BWM, MC, MC, W(or IF now that I know it's buggy and how to fix it) / AF, P. My theory behind this is that I outnumber midfield 3 to 2 and all position seem like they should link up nicely. But in reality, I'm constantly getting overrun and losing possession battle 45-55. What am I missing?

For context, I'm playing a low league team and I couldn't get any decent fullbacks while having quite a few nice CDs thus the 3-5-2.

I play a 3-4-1-2 and in my experience, both central midfielders have to be defensive. I currently play with a BWM and a DLP. When I was using it in the lower leagues, I used 2 BWMs and I got the impression that if they weren't very good, then the defense was all to easily overrun.

• SI Staff

I noticed that you said sometimes IF for one of your wingers. Does this mean that your wingers are AML and AMR? If so then they really should stay at RM and LM since you have no fullbacks. Try changing the AF to target man and one/both of the CMs to box-to-box (they work really well for me in midfield-heavy formations). Also make sure that pressing is turned on in team instructions and try playing through the middle.

Let me know how it goes!

My midfield formation changed yesterday as a result of the IF thread here and on vibe. It's more of a slanted 4-1 with the 4 being on the standard level just above the halfway line W, BWM, MC, MC. And the IF is on the next "level" alone (advanced position between midfield and striker levels). Before that, it was just a winger with 5 across the midfield with similar results. And I always play with pressing on.

I will try BBM but I worry they're going to run out of gas!! Will report back.

Archived