I know it's my tactics, but?.....how do you defeat pace?

Had an absolutely brilliant game going with Wrexham, one which has now been ruined by a stupid rage quit and now by a seemingly unsolvable tactical conundrum

We were top, had lost 1 in the league all season, scoring almost 3 a game and conceding 1. Then, we ran into Welling. 23rd in the league, scoring less than 1 game, conceding just over 1 per game. I admit, I lost the first game REALLY badly and rage quit. Since then, I've decided this save is wrecked, so I'm trying different things out to work out what I'm doing wrong. I've lost 3-0, 2-1, (twice) 2-0 (four times) 1-0. I've drawn 2-2, and had 3 1-1s. I have never, ever been in the lead. I usually concede within the first five minutes (Including 3 own goals and a penalty). In the return fixture (at home, I admit) I beat them 3-0, from 13 shots, 8 on target and with 54 percent possession. And it's almost exactly the same team...in fact it's one player and one position different.

I've tried direct counter attacking. I've tried low tempo possession play, high tempo aggressive attacking play. I've marked tight, I've hung back. I've closed down, I've given them space. I've held a high block, a medium block, a low block. I've tackled hard, I've tackled soft. I've pumped into the box, I've worked into the box, I've shot on sight. I've crossed from the byline and from deep. I've tried 3,4,5 at the back, same in midfield. I've gone with 1 up front, 2, and 3.

And I'm lucky to get 1 shot. All match. And usually Welling score with their only shot(s). Regardless of what I ask, they always, always have space in the midfield, my players virtually never tackle. Their midfield pumps the ball to their striker with impunity, and he does my defence for pace every time. Or they crowd the box and hit me on the break after my inevitable failure to get a shot away.

Yes. It's my tactics, I understand that. However, (initially) these were tactics that had taken me to a 15 point lead at the top, the semi's of the FA Trophy, and something approaching 80 goals in 34 league games, so I really don't understand this. Some players have been getting complacent, so I spoke aggressively, passionately, calmly, assertively.........NO effect. Whatsoever. One or two players might seem 'deep in thought' but that's it. So I'm absolutely and completely baffled. I've read all the stickies, all the advice, and nothing's worked. I don't want to carry on with this save any more, that's for sure....which is a shame, it's my best season ever. But it wouldn't be right. I just want to know what I've done wrong so I can hopefully rectify it next time.

Without knowing the tactics, it's impossible to answer. Rage quitting after losing a second game of the season is just unnecessary and as I'm sure you've been told before, you learn nothing by reloading and randomly trying every combination under the sun. You got to the top of the league for a reason. Defeats happen. Get over it and stop cocking about!

If you are losing time and time again in one match, especially after the season you describe, then I would hazard it is not a tactical issue but a motivational one. Your team is walking the league, they are playing a crappy team, and they are complacent. It is my understanding that the factors that lead to this are built up over time, so reloading the game will not give you a clean slate wrt this. You will play the game on a backdrop of moral and motivation that is, in essence, fixed at that time.

The upshot is, as RTHerringbone says, you will learn nothing tactical in this situation. You learn tactical things over the course of a number of games, especially regarding your own tactic. In single games I tend to learn how to play against the specific setup of the opposition, and some flaws of my system versus theirs. It is correlating those flaws over time that will point out where your tactic is weak.

So take defeats on the chin, they happen to use all. I just got trashed in my Everton save away to Swansea despite a great start to the season. I actually have no idea why, they just looked like they wanted it more. Losing games is part of the game.

To elaborate on the "defeats happen" train of thought: I'm in charge of Aston Villa, taking over after they were relegated to the Championship. I lost 3-0 last night at 21st place Brighton (one crappy back pass to a striker and two penalties) after being unbeaten in the first 20 games of the season. They are way below me but **** happens. There's no point revisiting games and you just need to look at the bigger picture. It doesn't matter if you lose the odd game, and it's very reductionist to attribute a defeat to "pace" anyway.

Thanks both...you're right, of course. I just need to take this on the chin and carry on.....I think you're onto something with the 'motivation' thing, sporadic, my team talks do seem to have been less effective recently. I understand why you think it's 'reductionist' (cool word, I'll have to look it up) to attribute a defeat to pace, RT....but in all those defeats, I conceded 20 goals. 4 were own goals, 1 was a penalty, 2 were from set pieces. And the other 13 were counter attacks where an attacker outpaced my team, an attacker beating his marker outside the area and doing him for pace, or a winger doing my fullback for pace and swinging in a deep cross which was scored by a striker...outpacing my defence. So naturally I looked to pace as the issue. I compounded that mistake by sitting back, making what I felt were the correct decisions for dealing with pace............standing off so their acceleration doesn't leave players for dust, playing compact to narrow their space. When that didn't work, I just (as I admittedly often do) lost it somewhat. You're right....it doesn't matter if you lose the odd game. If you'll just forgive a small pun, it's just odd the games that you lose! lol. The more I think about it, I think there are major issues with morale and complacency in the team, and I've noticed not exactly a drying up of goals but a large reduction in chances. It might be that teams are pressing me more, considering my scoring record. I think a trip to the drawing board is in order....thanks again for the advice and the genteel backside-kick. Both needed, both noted, both gratefully acknowledged lol.

Interesting. I realised that one thing I didn't do was stop my fullbacks overlapping......no wonder I was getting battered down the wings. I also hadn't resorted to playing defensively. Heck, I'm the top team in the division, I shouldn't have to play defensively against the likes of Welling! (yeah I'm being sarcastic at myself). So. I stopped my fullbacks overlapping, which PROPERLY consolidated the defence, played a high line (though I dropped that to slightly higher and added play offside after six quick breaks in the first 15 minutes). A normal tempo, frequently wasting time, wide and exploiting the flanks. Mixed passing, much less closing down, sticking to positions and staying on feet. I played my normal 4-2-4, but switched from automatic role wingbacks to defend fullbacks, kept my normal midfield 2 of a supporting B2B and a defensive BWM. Up front I put my inside forwards on a support role from their normal attacking, dropped my supporting deep striker to a defensive role defensive forward and kept my normal attacking role attacking forward.

And won. 2-0. Dominated possession, 54%, and came away with (in my view) a virtually perfect shots to goals ratio.....10 shots, 5 on target, 2 goals. And duly noted serious morale issues, with six players looking complacent. A clue, methinks. Now, I've just gotta replay till I lose. What's the betting I win the next 20 lol

Archived