Can't Stop Leaking Goals

Hi guys, really after some advice and help! I am Charlton, won the Playoffs in the first season and got promoted to the Premier League, playing a nice Standard or Counter 442. Now in the Premier League I accept we aren't anywhere near the best team and are going to lose quite a lot of matches, however no matter what I try we just can't stop leaking goals. Consistently conceding 2, 3 or 4 goals per game:

Screen%20Shot%202015-11-25%20at%2011.10.42.png

Here is my current tactic:

Screen%20Shot%202015-11-25%20at%2011.11.20.png

Screen%20Shot%202015-11-25%20at%2011.11.01.png

And I decided on these instructions after looking at our weaknesses and strengths via the Team Comparison pages:

Screen%20Shot%202015-11-25%20at%2011.11.39.png

Screen%20Shot%202015-11-25%20at%2011.11.40.png

Screen%20Shot%202015-11-25%20at%2011.11.42.png

It all seems logical to me, but clearly I must be doing something wrong to get SUCH poor results and such bad defence...?

Think about something like Atletico Madrid. Narrow, Very fluid, compact 4-4-2 (or 4-4-1-1, with SS(A) + DLF(S) combo up front), lower mentality, low block, relatively high tempo with Closing down only in certain areas (think about using Closing down in Opposition instructions, for opponents' fullbacks and/or wingers, and adding Close Down Much More PI to striker(s) and wingers). Develop a good (zonal) defensive set piece routine to cover your shortcomings in that area.

Hello there friend. I don't know how good your team is in comparation with the rest of the league, but judging by the results there and the year you are playing I will presume that you didn't manage to make from Charlton a world class team for now.

From the start I see that you are asking your team to pass into space and exploit the flanks. For this to happen you need your fullbaks, wingers and strikers to be quick and have good of the ball, in order to find pokets of space and exploit that space. My advice is to remove both shouts and let the team play to the situation rather that making them play in a way they can't.

Another thing I see is that you ask the team to close down more. This is a bad ideea with the counter-attack mentality, as it pushes the team forward, disrupts the team shape and sets the D-Line higher. I can allready see from the picture that your D-Line is allmost at the center of the field, that means that your fullbaks will close-down high in the field. It's not good, as counter-atack aims to stay put, wait the opponent in your half and get forward quick when you get the ball. My advice is to let the close down on default and drop the D-Line a bit deeper. I would also use flexible/fluid shape.

The 4-4-2 isn't a possesion sistem, the counter mentality isn't either so there is no point in asking the team to stay on feet. You have only to MC's, they need to be able to tackle, win and pass it away. I would ask my MC's to tackle harder. I would check get stuck in too if necesary. Furthermore, I would use the DLP on defend, and MC on support, maybe a Box to box would be better. Idk, you need to see how it plays.

I don't know what kind of SC's you have. I don't see a TM and you use low crosses witch leaves me thinking that you SC's are not so good with their heading so I don't think there is a need for crosses. Work ball into box is a good shout to reduce them. I would use whipped crosses (personal preference). I would also ask my SC's to tackle hard and close down much more. Maybe use a F9 instead of a DLF. For me it seems it links the play better.

Aditionaly you can ask you FB's to play few risky pass if they tend to pass badly. The 4 4 2 is wide by nature, so keep an eye on your wide players, see how they sit in the field. Use the prozone tools. If they sit to wide and the opp is exploiting that, ask them to sit narrow.

Here you have it. I hope it will help you. Good luck and a nice day.

Sharky85, I went with your suggestions and added a few player instructions too. Next match v Stoke. We played well and looked quite solid, restricting Stoke to just 1 or 2 half chances. It finished 0-0! We should have actually won it. A striker of mine out of form had 3 clear cut chances but missed them all. A definite base to build from, thanks!

Given your probably one of the weakest teams in the league (as is often the case with newly promoted teams), whilst this might sound fairly obvious, but why don't you play more defensively? Use Defending/Counter as tactics, narrow your width, pull your defensive line back a bit. Experiment with a higher tempo and direct passing when playing counter (only do this in bursts, not for the whole march). it may also be an idea to join the crowd and play a 4-1-2-2-1, 4-2-3-1 or 5-4-1; with most teams packing the midfield these days you could be getting overwhelmed (I'm an School manager, I love 4-4-2 and hate only having 1 striker up front, but even I for the time being am playing 4-2-3-1 as I don't have the players to play a 4-4-2 & it suits the type of players I have more).

Hey mate

Maybe try a 4-1-4-1 instead of the 4-4-2.

There can you read the topic: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/443357-4-1-4-1-opinions-advice

----------------GK------------------

--FB/a---CD/d---CD/c---FB-u/d---

---------------DM/d-----------------

WM/a---CM/u---AP/a---WI/a------

--------------DLF/s-----------------

Counter.

U will receive much less goals and maybe win also some with counter attacks.

cheers

Thanks all, I have taken on advice from this thread and pleased to report we look much more solid! Had 3 clean sheets out of the next 5 matches, winning 2-0 away at Newcastle with 2 superb counter attacking goals, and drawing two games 0-0 one of which was against Arsenal.

Archived