Non Playing Role Transition Improvement?

First of all, this is not a bitch or a clipe at football manager, this years edition is fantastic, and deserves all its plaudits. I am merely looking to open the question of whether the transition from player to non player at the club, could be improved.

Charlie Mulgrew came to me, saying he was not happy with his playing time, and he wanted to move on in order to get some regular game time at this stage of his career, I asked him if he would be willing to become one of the backroom staff to which he agreed.

We did not come to terms on a contract though, and he cancelled the talks. (He wanted Assistant Manager, I wanted Under 20`s Manager)

I then received news, in the next few days he was not happy with my refusal to offer him a non playing role (which I did) I was lucky enough for it to not become an issue, as no players raised the issue in a team meeting. However I can easily see how this could become an issue which could affect club morale.

Could this scenario be improved upon, in either an update or the next game? That is the question.

Also if this is not in the correct area, please feel free to move it and update me.

mulgrew%20unhappy%20promise%20not%20kept%203_zpsyvhxkgih.jpg

mulgrew%20unhappy%20promise%20not%20kept%204_zpskrdlqvx7.jpg

mulgrew%20unhappy%20promise%20not%20kept_zpssj45ogrb.jpg

mulgrew%20unhappy%20promise%20not%20kept%202_zpsv27jfcdw.jpg

I guess the problem is that he got upset just 3 days after?

I think it is one of those cases where the wording needs to be better. Mulgrew should have said your failure to offer him a suitable non-playing role and then it would have made more sense.

I think it is one of those cases where the wording needs to be better. Mulgrew should have said your failure to offer him a suitable non-playing role and then it would have made more sense.

Yes that is Correct, it makes it look as though I have not kept to a promise, generalisations are dangerous to morale.

I had opened negotiations and we had different ideas on the role we both wanted, I was looking to see if when a contract is not agreed upon instead of potentially damaging morale after mere days, could there then be more negotiations like there are in real life. ie a longer time bracket.

Archived