Long throws,the final ball & other questions.

This is how I have set up my Luton Town team.

My Formation:

TM(s) P(a)

W(a) CM(d) AP(a) WM(s)

FB(s) CD(d) BPD(d) FB(a)

Mentality: Standard then Control/Counter depending on the situation

Shape: Structured

My TIs:

1. Lower tempo

2. Prevent short GK dist.

3. Close down less

My PIs:

TM:

Tackle harder

Close down much more

P:

Move into channels

W:

Close down more

Tackle harder

Cross aim TM

More direct

CM

Dribble less

Fewer risky passes

Tackle harder

AP

Get further forward

More direct passes

WM

Sit Narrower

Cross less often

Left FB

Close down more

Fewer risky passes

Sit Narrower

Cross less often

CD

No Instructions

BPD

No Instructions

Right FB

Close down more

Cross aim TM

Run wide with ball

Problem #1

So,I took charge at Luton Town in League 2 with 11 games left and have played 4 matches(W-1,L-1,D-3) so far. The 3-0 loss came away to Portsmouth on my second day of charge and I am not to concerned with that. In the next 3 games defensive performances improved(conceded 2,both from set pieces) but our play in the final third has been less than encouraging. The players are moving well and taking up good positions but the final ball is always poor.It's either rushed and wayward or the buildup is too slow and allows the opposition defenders to steal the ball away. I am quite sure that I am doing something wrong here and I need some help from you guys.

Problem #2

Long throws into the box is a huge problem for me.How do you defend against them?

Problem #3

Is there anyway to stop my keeper from taking free kicks which are given beyond the area?

Problem #1

Some of your PIs could be a problem. Your LFB with PIs seems to be a limited FB role. What's your WM role with his PIs? Is he suppose to be an IF/Raumdeuter at a deep midfield position?

With 2 players upfront, you may want to consider having more players crossing into the box. At the moment, you have only 2(W and RFB). Probably remove the cross less from your LFB and LWM so that they have the option of crossing it from a deeper position.

Problem #2

The setup to defend a long throw is the same as corner. If your setup of defending corner is good enough, it shouldn't cause you too many problems.

Problem #3

I doubt so.

#3 No.

In my experience it's all about the quality of your players, most of the time one of my players just go and heads the ball, I don't get long throws anyway, most of the time they only reach the edge of the box and all the opposition players is standing on the other side of the goal, way out or range of the throw.

Same with corners, most is to the near post that my defender heads away every time.

Possible because my defenders is better than the attackers, so the game generate stupid looking animations.

Archived