Central Defenders or Limited Defenders in lower league football

I've got a question about the central defenders in a lower league, amateur side. I'm playing FM 14 in this save. I posted it in the "Stupid Questions" thread, but I think it might warrant a thread here, too. Apologies if the repetition isn't OK.

Here's my usual formation:

.......DLF/s AF/a........

W/a CM/d AdvP/s W/s

FB/s CD/d CD/d FB/a

..........GK.........

Mentality is Defensive; Fluidity is Balanced.

I have the GK instructed to "Distribute To Defenders" and "Pass It Shorter," because I'd like to try to build from the back.

At this level, a D© with better than 4 in Passing is rare, and it's even more unusual to see one with higher than 6 or 7 for Composure or Decisions. However, if they're that "good" at these things, they almost always lack Pace. Our opponents' forwards usually do have good Pace, which seems to present a potential problem. I've got one D© whose attributes are decent enough to fill the role fairly well.

I'd like to play a pair of Central Defenders on Defend duty at center half. I would prefer they do something with the ball other than hoof it up the park every time. However, none of my D© seem nearly as well-suited to that role as they are to Limited Defender, which by definition will try to get the ball as far from the goal as quickly as possible every time they have possession.

Would I probably be better off playing with Limited Defenders and removing my GK's personal instructions? Or, will I be OK with my Central Defenders, since my opponents aren't world-class either?

Thanks in advance.

Do your Fullbacks have better Passing skills? You can instruct your GK to "Distribute to Fullbacks", or "Distribute to AP/S". Your playmaker should drop deep to receive the ball if the GK rolls the ball to him. If your GK has high Eccentricity or low Composure he might not always follow your instructions. You'll have to watch the game to see who is open and how your GK reacts to pressure.

I would keep my center backs on CD-D even in lower leagues, unless you see that they cannot pass the ball 10 yards to an open fullback or midfielder.

I have played with lower league teams and used CD-D rather than limited defender. It seemed to work ok as they will still hoof it long if they are under pressure.

Same and as with donnybrook too, because the limited defenders tend to just hoof the ball forward and it results in a lot of giving the ball away. The CD-D will make better passing choices overall, and be less to prone to give it away with a long boot. They will still do that with poor options, or with poor attributes, but I just never found the use of the limited defender in any position at any level.

Same and as with donnybrook too, because the limited defenders tend to just hoof the ball forward and it results in a lot of giving the ball away. The CD-D will make better passing choices overall, and be less to prone to give it away with a long boot. They will still do that with poor options, or with poor attributes, but I just never found the use of the limited defender in any position at any level.

I've used and using one for my Manu team. I have players with better attributes, so maybe that helps...

I've used and using one for my Manu team. I have players with better attributes, so maybe that helps...

That's a good point you make there. If you have a good talent, that would definitely help. The longer clearances will be more on the mark, the decision making better etc.

Thanks to all of you for your insights. I'm sticking with the CD/D role for my center backs. The weaker of my two first team center halves isn't a good passer, but his Composure and Decisions are both good for our level. I get the sense he won't do stupid things with the ball, and play within his limits.

Archived