Sebastian Morse - The Oxford United Story

Bilbo Baggins

4yWWYnA.jpg

Oxford United Unveil New Manager

Following the sudden resignation of Michael Appleton, Oxford United have announced the appointment of Sebastian Morse, formerly the club's U19s manager, as their new boss. Oxford-born Morse, 28, joined the club as a trainee youth coach in 2007 after finishing university and then worked his way up the ranks. Fans have greeted the appointment with scepticism. Morse, speaking with the Oxford Mail, said he was delighted to get the opportunity to manage the club and hoped he could silence the critics. He is rumoured to be on a 1-year contract worth around £1,100 per week.

Evelyn Greene for the Oxford Mail.

wOTNFTR.gif

Morse Appointment A Baffling Decision

Oxford United announced their new manager today and like many supporters I was less than impressed. Whilst I respect that the sudden resignation of Michael Appleton left the club in the lurch somewhat and that it was important to get somebody in with the new season fast approaching, a more sensible course would have been to put assistant manager Derek Fazackerley in charge temporarily until a more suitable candidate could be found. It is rumoured that Morse has only been given a 1-year contract which is a relief, and I've no doubt that the club will act swiftly should he fail to deliver results on the pitch. Whilst I wish him luck I simply cannot fathom why the club has appointed somebody who doesn't even hold the requisite coaching badges to manage in League 2 and has had to be given a special dispensation by the FA. This can only end badly.

Charles Lewis for The Oxford Times

yuO0GoV.png

Oxford United

Oxford United Football Club is an English association football club based in Oxford, Oxfordshire. The club currently plays in League Two, first entering the Football League in 1962. The chairman is Darryl Eales and the manager is Sebastian Morse. The team captain is Jake Wright and the vice-captain is Alan Dunne.

Founded in 1893 as Headington United, Oxford United adopted their current name in 1960. They joined the Football League in 1962 after winning the Southern Football League, reaching the Second Division in 1968. After relegation in 1976, between 1984 and 1986 the club earned successive promotions into the First Division, and won the League Cup in 1986. Oxford were unable to enter the 1987 UEFA Cup because of the UEFA ban on English clubs in European competitions. Relegation from the top flight in 1988 began an 18-year decline which saw the club relegated to the Conference in 2006. This was the first time in the history of English football that a team that had won a major trophy was relegated from the Football League. After four seasons, Oxford were promoted to League Two in 2010 after a 3–1 win over York City in the Conference National play-off Final at Wembley Stadium.

The club's home kit features yellow shirts with navy trim, navy shorts and navy socks. The away kit is all-white with purple trim.

Graham Atkinson holds the record for league goals with 97. John Shuker holds the record for league appearances with 473. Jake Wright's 289 outings is the highest amongst active players. Jim Magilton holds the record for international appearances whilst at the club with 18.

United's home ground is the Kassam Stadium in Oxford which has a capacity of 12,573. United moved to the stadium in 2001 after leaving the Manor Ground, their home for 76 years. United's training ground is Oxford Rover Sports & Social Club. Swindon Town and Reading are the club's main rivals.

Honours

Sky Bet Championship: 1985

Sky Bet League 1: 1968, 1984

Football League Cup: 1986

Southern League Premier Division: 1953, 1961, 1962

Southern League Cup: 1953, 1954

Recent History

Following the resignation of manager Michael Appleton in 2014, the club appointed youth team manager Sebastian Morse as his replacement. Morse's tenure was short-lived, following concerns about squad harmony and the club's 18th place in the league he was soon replaced by former Tranmere coach John McMahon. McMahon led the team into the play-offs the following season where they fell short against Northampton Town. He retired shortly afterwards, the club replacing him with former Bolton manager Gary Megson.

Megson was dismissed in early 2017 with the club sitting 18th in the league. Former manager Sebastian Morse was appointed for a second spell.

Recent Seasons

2014/15: Sky Bet League 2 - 11th - Record: 19W 10D 17L 67 PTS -1 GD

2015/16: Sky Bet League 2 - 4th - Record: 21W 12D 13L 75 PTS 23 GD - Lost Play-Off Semi Final

2016/17: Sky Bet League 2 - 6th - Record: - Lost Play-Off Final (pens)

2017/18: Sky Bet League 2 -

Oxfordsh.jpg

Sebastian Morse

Sebastian Morse (born 21 September 1985 in Oxford) is an English football manager. After graduating with a 2:1 in History from Hertford College, Oxford, he became a trainee youth coach at Oxford United. He eventually rose through the ranks to become the manager of the club's U19s team. In 2014 he was appointed manager of the senior team but his tenure lasted a mere five months before he was dismissed. In 2015 he took charge of Conference South side Bromley, leading the team to a 6th-place finish. He then guided them to promotion in the following season.

In 2016 Morse joined Grimsby Town after resigning from Bromley. He oversaw an upturn in form before eventually resigning in early 2017. He then returned to Oxford United.

Personal Life

Morse lives in Oxford with his partner, Laura Grayling.

Career History

Year - Team - League Finish - League Record - Notes

2014: Oxford United - League 2: na (sacked) - Record: 7W 2D 10L

2015: Bromley - Conference South: 6th - Record: 9W 1D 2L

2015/16: Bromley - Conference South: 2nd - Record: 20W 14D 8L 74 PTS 27 GD - Won Play-Off Final

2016: Bromley - Conference - na (resigned) - Record: 5W 2D 7L

2016/17: Grimsby Town - Conference: na (resigned) - Record: 9W 1D 4L - Reached FA Cup 3rd Round

2017: Oxford United - League 2: 6th - Record: TBA - Lost Play-Off Final (pens)

2017/18: Oxford United - League 2: na (resigned) - Reached JPT South Final

Honours

Awards

yuO0GoV.png

Oxford United 2014/15 - Pre Season

Time for a new adventure! My manager is a complete unknown with Sunday League reputation and no coaching badges. The board need my presence on the training ground at the moment, so I may have to wait a while until I can start a coaching course.

Manager Profile

Dspp6YL.png

6WFRIvN.png

APxl1lg.png

The club has below average training and youth facilities and a regional reputation.

Club Profile

1iTrkgW.png

RvC9bNS.png

We do not own our stadium and have to pay a yearly rent of £500k.

Transfers

zr5nIZE.png

I brought in a few loanees from our new affiliate club and also acquired Billy Clifford on a free.

Squad

IiuAl2c.png

Key Players

GF91eVr.png

I9gRP7T.png

wDIRppN.png

QXdLEUQ.png

Rqzi7we.png

yuO0GoV.png

Oxford United 2014/15 - July

1sOdd4u.png

Pre Season fixtures. Our only win came against Oxford City. We managed to get Tottenham in for a money-spinning friendly. We were pretty dire on the pitch as the team wasn't yet comfortable with my 4-3-3 system.

August

1LrPRxX.png

We kicked the season off with a narrow win over Burton. I was pleased as they are predicted to be among the teams fighting for promotion. We were then knocked out of the League Cup by Bournemouth. No complaints here, I'm pleased to be out. A lacklustre 0-0 away to Mansfield followed and we then notched up back-to-back 1-0 wins. We ended the month by falling to our first league defeat.

September

Q3Zz1cn.png

We started September with a big win. Things then started to go south, four defeats on the bounce put an end to our solid start to the season.

October

y2slRj2.png

A mixed month, 2 wins, 2 losses and a draw in the league. We went out of the Johnstone's Paint Trophy after defeat away to Yeovil.

4yWWYnA.jpg

Morse Searching For Clues To Oxford's Poor Form

Sebastian Morse has admitted that he is baffled by the club's poor start to the season in League 2. The new manager has struggled to implement his favoured 4-3-3 formation and has told the Oxford Mail that he will be exploring other options. 'We've had a poor start, yes, but there's plenty of time to turn things around.'

wOTNFTR.gif

Morse Facing Pressure From Oxford United Board

Oxford United boss Sebastian Morse has been summoned to two 'crisis meetings' by the board over recent weeks. Details have emerged of a row between club directors over the appointment of the inexperienced manager, with serious questions being raised over his future at the club.

The first meeting took place after senior figures at the club became dissatisfied with the harmony of the squad. Morse managed to allay the fears of the board but was later brought in for a meeting in the wake of Oxford's 2-0 loss to Wycombe.

It has also emerged that the manager held a squad meeting after training to address issues raised by players dissatisfied with his management, particularly his 4-3-3 formation. The meeting is rumoured to have gone well and most players are sticking by Morse for now, although Jonathan Meades is rumoured to have no faith in the manager's tactics.

Margaret Somerville for The Oxford Times

yuO0GoV.png

Oxford United 2014/15 - November

kppHe5A.png

November. One word sums the month up: dire. We lost to Wycombe and the board summoned me for a meeting. I allayed their fears by insisting that Wycombe were just to good for us. We then put in a good performance in the FA Cup 1st round, beating Bury. Another loss next,this time against York. I decided to ditch my 4-3-3 and adopt a plain old 4-4-2, which seemed to produce results against Wimbledon. We then suffered another 2-0 loss to round off the month, away to Cheltenham. Interestingly enough over the course of the month we didn't score when we lost and didn't concede when we won.

League Table

Is39n7s.png

We sit 18th with 23 points from 19 games. Not ideal. We're five points off the relegation zone and eight points away from the promotion spots.

December Preview

WOZxAxk.png

Silly season kicks off with a tough FA Cup 2nd round trip to Bristol City. Bury will be a tough game as they're in good form but we've beaten them recently so will have confidence. Hartlepool, 7th, and Shrewsbury, 3rd, will also be tricky opponents.

4yWWYnA.jpg

Oxford United Sack Morse

Oxford United have today announced the sacking of manager Sebastian Morse, a mere 5 months into his tenure. The former United U19s manager was promoted in the wake of the departure of Michael Appleton but failed to meet the expectations of the board as the team lurched from defeat to defeat. Squad harmony was the main issue cited by United managing director Mark Ashton in his statement regarding Morse's departure. Morse said that he was disappointed with the news but wished the club well for the future. 'Things didn't go well, I'm the first to admit that, but I felt I should've been given until the new year. Some people say we were facing a relegation fight but I refute that, we weren't.'

wOTNFTR.gif

Morse Searching For Route Back Into Management

Former Oxford United manager Sebastian Morse is searching for a way back into football, and is believed to be examining opportunities in the lower leagues. Morse, 29, was sacked by Oxford United following a poor start to the season and problems with player management. His record at Oxford was 8 wins, 2 draws and 13 losses. Speaking about his time at the club, Morse insisted that his dismissal was premature and that his new tactic would have seen the team improve in the new year. 'I felt that the sacking was harsh, definitely. I had trouble implementing a 4-3-3 and a few of the players were unwilling to adapt. I had just switched to a 4-4-2 before the news came through and I felt that the new system would've helped us to improve, but sadly the board didn't give me the time that I needed.' Morse is believed to have applied for the vacant Greuther Furth job in Germany's second division but sources at the club dismissed the news as 'nonsense.'

4yWWYnA.jpg

Oxford United Appoint John McMahon

Oxford United unveiled their new manager to the press today, keen to move on from the tenure of Sebastian Morse. The man chosen to replace Morse is former Tranmere coach John McMahon. Some have questioned Oxford's decision to again appoint a candidate without any managerial experience.

Clive Magdalen for the Oxford Mail.

yuO0GoV.png

Oxford United 2014/15 - December

Bristol City away. A tough match that we were bound to lose but I felt we put in a good performance.

w6YEJvv.png

Sure, we lost, but it's not as if we were demolished or anything. The last thing I expected was this...

sxffQfW.png

Sacked over squad harmony? What a load of nonsense. This is still an Oxford United save, I'll be back one day. It's just a question of when...

VDnZCTi.png

Sebastian Morse Appointed Bromley Manager

Sebastian Morse has been announced as the new manager at Vanarama South side Bromley. The club recently parted company with Mark Goldberg after a poor run of form and believe that Morse is the man to turn their fortunes around. Bromley currently sit 14th in the league table.

John Hathaway for the Bromley Times

WRhhudR.png

Bromley 2014/15 - February

7aYQrJ4.png

I kicked things off at Bromley with a solid win over Hayes & Yeading at home. We then notched up successive away wins. All in all a positive start to life at my new club.

League Table

AK7PQJD.png

The club was in 14th when I arrived and we've managed to climb to 9th. We have an outside shot at promotion if we can maintain this form.

March Preview

r7GA1ld.png

March sees us take on table topping Ebbsfleet first, a big challenge.

Cheers. I regret not going 4-4-2 from the start as I'd probably still be in the job there. Getting sacked was gutting but the goal of the save remains the same, get Oxford United to the top. The twist... I'm not going to be managing them for a while.

WRhhudR.png

Bromley 2014/15 - March

AJQTUsr.png

March was a solid month. As expected we fell to Ebbsfleet but rebounded with a 5-3 win in a crazy, end to end match against Hemel Hempstead which featured a 30-yard screamer from Dubois. A narrow win over Staines followed and we then hammered Bath away from home,a result I'm particularly pleased with given their position in the league.

League Table

pu6panb.png

We have moved up to 7th in the table. If we win our game in hand we'll be just 3 points behind Bath and in with an outside chance of nabbing a playoff spot.

aEmsesA.png

I was pleased to get the very first award of my managerial career.

xLEViAK.png

The board allowed me to start studying for my first coaching badge.

April Preview

oEoDkjZ.png

Second placed Boreham Wood first up, which will be tough. The rest of the games are winnable.

WRhhudR.png

Bromley 2014/15 - April

rHdTFo5.png

We very nearly beat Boreham Wood but had to be content with a draw. Our next game was just two days later, I had to rotate and unfortunately we lost. A big dent to our slim playoff hopes. We beat Eastbourne Boro and then...

ftdoj8L.png

This was just 'one of those games'. Incredible. We set a new record for the league, and not one of those crappy records you get because the league has no record data, it beat the actual real life record set back in 2007.

0scgLyW.png

Our players dominated the team of the week.

KvDCPfN.png

I was so proud. We finished the month with a win over Gosport.

League Table

Qst039A.png

Unfortunately our promotion bid falls short but from what I've seen of this team so far there's every reason to think that we can challenge next season.

WRhhudR.png

Bromley FC - Profile

4EofEkU.jpg

Transfers

LCjTGZg.png

I made a number of new additions to the squad in order to strengthen things up with a view toward a title push. All of the signings were free apart from one.

RkX0HDy.png

A number of players were released upon the expiration of their contracts.

KhnzxGf.png

We're currently under budget by a fair margin. We have a large first team squad by lower league standards with 26 players on the books but a large number are on pay-as-you-play non-contracts.

Squad

UNgJQdn.png

I have very high hopes for Bromley-born youth product Conor O'Sullivan, who was recently capped for Ireland at U19 level.

NOqaOL8.png

At just 16 years of age he is already holding down a place within the first team squad.

Cheers. I regret not going 4-4-2 from the start as I'd probably still be in the job there. Getting sacked was gutting but the goal of the save remains the same, get Oxford United to the top. The twist... I'm not going to be managing them for a while.

That is indeed a quite interesting and unexpected twist in the plot. Interesting to see how you make your way back there :)

Unlucky on the sacking, being from Oxford I am definitely going to be following this hopefully you wont be waiting long to return to Oxford.

Would you go to City if the job was available? Would be interesting to see you try and overthrow United and become the biggest team in Oxford.

Danny Waldren is one of my all time favourite lower league players - has scored loads of goals from midfield for me on the last few versions and makes a solid tutor.

Don't think he's found the back of the net for me yet.

Unlucky on the sacking, being from Oxford I am definitely going to be following this hopefully you wont be waiting long to return to Oxford.

Would you go to City if the job was available? Would be interesting to see you try and overthrow United and become the biggest team in Oxford.

I would definitely take it if it became available, it was insecure when I got sacked and I was hoping for it to open up but it didn't. Ideally I'd like to get both teams into the upper echelons but I'm not sure if I've got the time to do it. United look like they're going to win the league this year, will be interesting to see how they get on in League 1.

That is indeed a quite interesting and unexpected twist in the plot. Interesting to see how you make your way back there :)

It will probably take some time, have to build my rep up and then wait for them to sack their manager.

4yWWYnA.jpg

Oxford United Top At Christmas

Oxford United's League 2 campaign continues to go from strength to strength with the club sitting two points clear at the top of the table on Christmas day. John McMahon's team have every chance of claiming the title if they can maintain their impressive form for the next few months, and it looks as if their FA Cup exit at the hands of Conference side Halifax Town may well be the only blemish on an otherwise fantastic season.

wOTNFTR.gif

Oxford City In Promotion Hunt

Oxford City manager Justin Merrit has turned things around at Oxford City with the club strong candidates for promotion. Merrit faced a lot of pressure last season and came close to being sacked but has managed to turn things around.

VDnZCTi.png

Morse Enjoying First Full Season With Bromley

Bromley manager Sebastian Morse has spoken of his excitement at the team's promotion chances, commenting that the club were in a strong position to fight for the title. 'The season is going really well and I've been impressed with the commitment and effort on display from the lads. We've had a bad run but managed to get over it and things are looking good for the future.' Morse, 30, was appointed Bromley manager following his departure from Oxford United last year. Bromley chairman Jerry Dolke believes that his new man has what it takes to lead the team into the next division. 'I've been impressed with what I've seen from him so far, he's fairly young in management terms but he commands the respect of the players and is a real man motivator.'

Despite the positive results the club has been criticized for it's failure to address the state of the Hayes Lane pitch, with the chairman insisting that nothing can be done due to a lack of finances. 'We simply don't have the money to do anything about the pitch at the moment, our groundsman does as good a job as he can under the circumstances but we've had a lot of rain recently.'

John Hathaway for the Bromley Times

6vnWHNF.jpg

Sebastian Morse sat on the sofa in a pensive, ponderous mood. 30. He'd reached a milestone in his life but felt he had little to show for his three decades. Academically bright, he could've followed his father's footsteps into academia after finishing his degree at Oxford but instead decided to pursue his passion and become a football coach. After years of toil in the Oxford United youth setup he finally got his big break by being appointed first team manager, only for everything to come crashing down.

"Why are you looking so bloody glum?" David, his best friend and most trusted confidant, walked into the room and handed him a beer. The two had been inseparable from an early age, first meeting at school and going on to form a close friendship.

"Sorry, mate. Just thinking about how things went at Oxford."

"Not this again, you've got to get over it."

"I know, I know. It's not just Oxford, though. I can't help thinking that the last eight years have been a waste of time. I could be in a proper job, have proper money, a house. I just look at what you and Soph have got and can't help thinking that I never should've gone into football."

"You've got to have faith, Seb. I'd love to be in your shoes, I'd honestly ditch working at the bank tomorrow if a team gave me the chance to manage them."

"Bollocks."

"It's not bollocks, honestly. Cheer up, you're doing well."

And he was. The team were looking strong candidates for promotion and if he could get them to be a little more consistent there was an outside chance at a title challenge. Morse enjoyed managing Bromley but the strains of commuting back and forth between Oxford and London on the train every day were taking their toll. He'd never learned to drive, preferring to cycle around Oxford during his university days. He occasionally stayed at David's two bedroom house in Fulham but didn't like being a burden.

David turned the television on and switched to Sky Sports. Chelsea vs Fulham. David had grown up supporting Oxford United but after moving to London for work he began to follow Fulham. Sebastian's uncle had gotten him into Chelsea when he was young.

"What do you reckon, three-nill to Fulham?'

"In your dreams, mate. We'll win easily."

The two settled down to watch the match. In the end Chelsea were comfortable victors, as Sebastian had predicted.

"Are we hitting the town tonight?"

"Of course we are, I need to get your spirits up somehow."

WRhhudR.png

Bromley 2015/16 - Pre Season

jFsJeii.png

We put in a very solid performance against Bolton and I was pleased that we held out for a draw. Our new parent club managed to beat us easily and we then got hammered by Kortrijk. We put in a respectable performance against Crystal Palace.

August

ui79GLp.png

Our final friendly and another loss. At least the money was coming in! We started the season reasonably well with three wins, a draw and a loss in August.

September

st9jLDC.png

September was a positive month, after dropping points against Gosport we won three on the bounce in the league and advanced to the next round of the FA Cup.

October

lK7s4uR.png

October began with a crazy end to end game against Whitehawk which ended 5-4 in our favour. We kicked on with another cup win and a hammering of Bognor Regis before slipping up against Oxford City, losing. Barnet next in the cup, we were out to pull off an upset and managed to draw the first leg 3-3, equalising in extra time. Unfortunately they were too strong for us in the replay. We put in a poor performance in the league, losing 4-2 to Concord.

November

oYg4CF9.png

November was poor, the team was unable to get going and was missing a few key players through injury. We only managed one win in the league, not the type of form required to challenge for the title.

December

why3MzV.png

December was a tad better, Boreham Wood proved tough opposition but we managed to get a solid win. We very nearly slipped up in the FA Trophy but advance to the next round. Two 1-1 draws weren't ideal but a point is a point at the end of the day.

January Preview

zfDjAHj.png

A busy January will test our mettle, a solid run will give us a shot at the title.

League Table

1HiZYxT.png

We're chasing Dorchester, if we win our two games in hand we will be five points off the top. Several teams are fighting it out for the promotion spots.

WRhhudR.png

Bromley 2015/16 - January

wsI7mis.png

The year begun with a rather disappointing draw against St Albans. We then went out of the FA Trophy. Bradley Goldberg dominated proceedings against Gosport, scoring 4, but our defence let the team down, meaning we only drew. We then went on a solid run of four wins on the trot.

February

MXcxqmh.png

February was a huge disappointment. We extended our run of straight wins to five but then fell short against Chelmsford. Oxford City held us to a draw and we then lost two further matches.

March

Our third loss in a row against Maidenhead. We hammered Concord but then failed to get a win from our next two. The month ended with a win, however, keeping our title hopes alive.

April Preview

KJZk1rg.png

Four matches to go. The match against Boreham Wood will be crucial.

League Table

frjlWZX.png

The league race looks set to go down to the wire with a number of teams in contention for the title.

WRhhudR.png

Bromley 2015/16 - April

F7PL5LB.png

It was business time, the last stretch of the season. We beat Maidstone but then shot ourselves in the foot with a silly draw against Hemel Hempstead. The Boreham Wood match was our chance to stamp a claim on first spot but we came up short, unable to overcome their tight defence. The final day of the season. We had a chance to claim the title but needed Dorchester to lose and Boreham Wood to draw. We performed our end of the bargain by getting the win and Dorchester relinquished their grasp on top spot by losing but unfortunately Boreham Wood claimed the title with a win. We were going through to the playoffs.

I expected a tight match against H&W but was pleasantly surprised with our performance in the first leg as we effectively killed off their chances with a 4-1 win. We sealed our place in the playoff final with a 2-0 win. Next up, Oxford City.

fthFa0Z.png

6vnWHNF.jpg

Morse sat in his dugout surveying the almost empty stadium before him. Hours before it had been close to capacity as nearly four thousand people cheered on Bromley and Oxford in the playoff final. A champagne bottle sat in the chair beside him. He grabbed it, took a swig, and set it down again.

Promotion. The team had done it. The match had gone exactly to plan, Oxford were no mugs but Bromley were simply superior in every department. Both teams had chances early on but Bromley slowly started to impose themselves, coming close to scoring as Bradley Goldberg headed wide. In the 40th minute they made the breakthrough, Jermaine Hylton breaking the offside trap and beating the keeper one on one.

City very nearly levelled the match shortly after half time with a free kick that hit the post. Morse was animated on the sidelines, urging his players to push on in search of a second. They eventually found it in the 80th minute. The crowd erupted as Anthony Cook nodded home a header from a corner, the match now dead and buried.

The celebrations lasted for over an hour, the team doing a lap of honour and basking in the adulation of the fans. Morse hoped that a few more would show up next season, the club needed to get in the black if it was to have any chance of progressing.

The players headed up to London for a night on the town, they urged Morse to join them but he declined, telling them to enjoy themselves. He wasn't in the mood to get plastered, a quiet drink by himself suited him just fine.

A reporter from the Bromley Times approached Morse, introducing himself. "Hi Sebastian, I'm John Hathaway from the Bromley Times. Do you mind answering a few questions?"

"Certainly."

"What do you make of the season?"

"I think it was fantastic, we had our ups and downs but were always in contention. I would've liked to have won the title but at the end of the day getting up is the main thing."

"How tough is it going to be to stay up next season?"

"I fancy our chances, we'll look to bring in a few new faces of course but I think the current lads have what it takes to keep themselves away from a relegation scrap. We'll be aiming for mid table."

"Finally, what are your plans for the summer?"

"I'll be going home to Oxford and having a nice big break from football."

t3zg2Hn.png

4yWWYnA.jpg

Oxford United Fall Short In Play-offs

Oxford United's dreams of promotion have been crushed as the team bowed out of the play-offs following a semi final loss to Northampton. A 2-1 loss in the first leg left the tie delicately poised but the U's were unable to turn things around at home in the second leg, losing 1-0.

wOTNFTR.gif

United Manager McMahon Retires

In the wake of Oxford's disappointing play-off exit, John McMahon has decided to call time on his tenure and retire from management after just a single season. McMahon said that he wanted to spend more time with his family at his age and that the stresses and strains of first team management had proven too much to bear.

4yWWYnA.jpg

Oxford United Appoint Gary Megson

Former Leicester, Bolton and Sheffield Wednesday boss Gary Megson has been unveiled as the new Oxford United manager today. The club moved swiftly following the departure of previous manager John McMahon and chairman Darryl Eales was pleased to nab his first choice.

'We're confident in Gary's ability and believe that he's the right man to take the club on to the next level.' Megson spoke of his excitement at starting a new project at Oxford, saying that he was keen to help the club move on from their play-off exit. 'The club did really well this season and I'm determined to make sure we can go one better next time.

Clive Magdalen for the Oxford Mail

WRhhudR.png

Bromley 2016/17 - Transfers

3mp0ERX.png

We made a few moves in the transfer market. I decided to splurge and invested 10k in Leeds midfielder Tyler Denton. The rest were freebies. The best acquisition was former Chelsea defender Dion Conroy. Goldberg, who had been with us on loan last season, joined permanently.

bQRNmux.png

The out tray featured a lot of dead wood.

Pre Season

ONBuR1O.png

We started pre season with a 5-0 win over minnows Banstead. It was then time to add to the coffers with friendlies against Notts County and Fulham. Predictably we didn't fare well. Another minnow bashing and we then put in a solid if unspectacular performance against Antwerp.

August

0p4xffH.png

The league campaign kicked off with a solid win over Welling. We backed it up by beating Dag & Red but then fell to Lincoln. Our form then started to slide as we drew against Grimsby and ended the month with two losses.

September/October

iAkERL9.png

We drew against Alfreton before improving to beat Macclesfield and Eastleigh. We then went on a poor run of four losses in a row. Disappointing, but not an emergency. But... a news item piqued my interest.

Xg2Hdkv.png

Grimsby, predicted to finish 6th, were struggling and had decided to sack their manager. I was intrigued. The club had the second highest average attendance in the league and represented a big step up from Bromley. Would they take me, though? Well, they certainly wouldn't pay compensation for the privilege so I knew what I had to do, it was time to resign.

BcAhiHn.png

After a successful interview they decided to approach me. I haggled an extra 100 quid out of them and signed on the dotted line. Time for a fresh start, Bromley was fun for a while but I wasn't interested in building them up.

Grimsby Town Profile

PGy6kNX.png

rLASptF.png

Squad

LL92Imo.png

League Table

s080mZO.png

Yep, setting quite a good pace so far. Need to get my rep up quickly for my Oxford return and also need to get some more coaching badges under my belt, unfortunately clubs at this level don't have the money to fund you. I wish you could pay for them yourself!

I won't lie, I'll miss your old thread. But I lived near what used to be the Manor Ground (after it was converted to hospital space), and my old school overlooked the very protracted building of the Kassam, so there's local interest for me here.

I enjoyed it but felt the career trajectory was a tad unrealistic, I really regret starting with that UEFA Pro License as I don't think I would've gotten the Flamengo job without it. Hope my new thread lives up to the old one!

Good move and hopefully one that gets you back to league 2, Oxford as much as I hate to say it will hopefully struggle so you can get back to them or even city.

Keep it up mate really enjoying it.

Cheers Vanikain. The club should be capable of getting up, I'll look to build it up as much as possible but if a better job opens up in League 2 I'll go for it. It's all about getting back to Oxford as quickly as possible so yes, I hope Oxford struggle, but at the moment I'm not too concerned as they wouldn't hire meanyway.

It was interesting to see the club appoint McMahon given that he'd never managed a team before. I bet the fans aren't happy with the arrival of Megson!

I'll be making my updates a little bit more in-depth from now on. Or at least trying to.

4yWWYnA.jpg

Oxford United Enduring Torrid Season

Oxford United's form under new manager Gary Megson has been labelled 'disgraceful' by supporters, with many particularly dissatisfied with the standard of football on display. The club currently sit 17th in League 2, just 5 points clear of the relegation zone.

United fanzine editor Robbie Hobson has called for Megson to abandon his 4-5-1 formation and look to play a more progressive brand of football. 'There just isn't any excitement on offer at the moment, the team is performing poorly and everyone can see that something needs to change. A flat five in midfield and an isolated striker? It's a joke. Megson was the wrong choice from day one.'

wOTNFTR.gif

Gary Megson Facing Sack

Oxford United manager Gary Megson is facing pressure from the board to keep his job, with his position at the club believed to be very insecure. United directors were unwilling to comment when contacted but a source within the club says that high level talks have taken place regarding a change if things don't improve.

'The board are already looking for a replacement, Megson is only on a one-year deal so there isn't anything standing in the way of the club getting rid of him. The chairman regrets the decision to hire him but is hoping Megson can turn things around, whilst a number of directors want him gone straight away.

Ronald Merton for The Oxford Times

4yWWYnA.jpg

Oxford City Looking To Make Up For Play-off Exit

Oxford City are enjoying another solid season in the Conference South as the club looks to atone for last year's play-off final loss at the hands of Bromley. The club currently sit second and if they win their two games in hand will move to the top of the table.

Clive Magdalen for the Oxford Mail

UEDg9OK.png

Morse Endeavours To Continue Cup Run

Grimsby Town manager Sebastian Morse has spoken of his teams excitement ahead of their FA Cup Third Round clash against Stoke City. Morse's men have exceeded expectations in reaching the Third Round and the new Mariners boss is keen for the run to continue.

'We know it will be tough but at the end of the day we're going to try to win. Stoke are a good side but anything can happen in football.'

The club will be set for a huge windfall as they are due half of the gate receipts, although Stoke's ground won't be full to capacity.

Anthony Crouchback for the Grimsby Telegraph

6vnWHNF.jpg

The beach front of Cleethorpes was covered in a blanket of snow as Morse took his early morning exercise. He enjoyed keeping fit no matter the weather. He was content with life at his new club, believing them to have the potential to go places, but living in a hotel room so far away from home wasn't ideal.

He hadn't been back to Oxford in over a month, distance being one issue and the demands of his new job being another. He hadn't seen his parents over Christmas and was missing his girlfriend, Laura. Laura Grayling, 28, was a forensic pathologist with Thames Valley Police. Her job was demanding and stressful, Morse often thought that some of the things she had to deal with put his own career firmly into perspective.

He returned to his hotel room and showered, feeling refreshed. He went down to reception and picked up his mail. "Sir, a gentleman left a message for you earlier on." Morse looked at the piece of paper. It read: Tony Crouchback, Grimsby Telegraph, Let's talk. Morse thanked the receptionist and returned to his room. After pondering whether or not he wanted to speak with Crouchback he finally decided to give him a call. Media relations at Bromley were something he had been criticised for by his old chairman and he felt it couldn't hurt to establish a positive relationship with the local press.

"Hi, it's Seb Morse here. I believe you wanted to speak with me?"

"How did you find out where I was staying?"

"Not at all, I'm happy to chat. How does next Thursday sound?"

"Great, I'll see you then."

4yWWYnA.jpg

Oxford United Sack Megson

Oxford United have today announced the departure of Gary Megson, a mere 230 days into his tenure. United chairman Darryl Eales had been weighing up his options for some time but finally decided to sack the 57-year-old after a 3-0 defeat against AFC Wimbledon proved to be the final straw.

The club released a brief statement. 'Following a poor form over recent weeks the club have decided to relieve Gary Megson of his duties. The club are actively looking for a replacement and are hoping to make an announcement in the coming weeks.'

United currently sit 18th and risk relegation to the Conference should things not improve. Robbie Hobson, editor of United fanzine Raging Bull, said the decision should have been made earlier. 'We're happy that the chairman has finally seen sense but he should have gone weeks ago. We're desperate to see the club stay up and hope that a new manager can come in and stop the rot.'

wOTNFTR.gif

Phil Brown Tops U's Shortlist

Oxford United are believed to be targeting Phil Brown to fill the managerial vacancy created by the sacking of Gary Megson. Brown, 57, is best known for his time in charge of Hull City when he lead the team into the Premier League. He has subsequently had spells at Preston, Southend and Crewe.

Brown's Premier League experience is the main factor pulling United chairman Darryl Eales in his direction, although fans have expressed reservations over Brown's time at Preston and Crewe as both teams were relegated under his watch.

Other rumoured candidates include former Southampton player Kelvin Davis and former Port Vale manager David Filtcroft.

Julia Mottram for The Oxford Times

What do you think, folks, do I go for it? My reputation has risen from local to regional, Phil Brown's reputation is only regional and he's the favourite. Surely they'd offer me an interview...

I'd have to quit Grimsby, though, because no club is going to pay out compensation for a manager of my stature. And then, if they opt for Brown ahead of me, I'll be jobless. It's a risk, but I think I'm going to take it.

oDNHt9P.png

Grimsby Town 16/17 - October/November/December

BQjnVkp.png

We struggled to get past Buxton in my first match in charge and needed a replay. A win and a loss in the league and then the FA Cup against Ebbsfleet. We struggled to break them down and the match ended 0-0. Another replay on the cards.

The team struggled against Nuneaton and fell to another loss. We then booked our place in the next round of the FA Cup. We got a good win over a strong Wrexham side and then turned on the style with a 6-1 hammering of Altrincham.

A loss and a draw in the league and then our big FA Cup match away to League 1 side Shrewsbury. I was delighted with our performance as we held our own, Amoo putting us ahead early. We went on to score two more and advance into the next round where we would face Stoke.

A win in the FA Trophy and then two wins and a loss in the league wrapped up 2016.

January

udFlzpC.png

A Colby Lewis brace helped us coast past Woking. Our day in the sun in the FA Cup came, unfortunately another upset wasn't on the cards and we were well-beaten by Stoke. The clubs books got a huge shot in the arm, though. We needed extra time to overcome Telford in the cup.

A nine-goal thriller next as we bested Boreham Wood 5-4. I then took on my former side, Bromley. We coasted to a 3-1 win. Our next FA Trophy match saw a lot of goals as we beat Braintree 5-3. We then got a solid win over top of the table Mansfield.

But then... news arrived in my inbox concerning the sacking of Gary Megson at Oxford United. Phil Brown was being touted by the press as the favourite to take over. I investigated further, noting that his reputation was regional. My reputation was regional. Surely they'd give me an interview? I knew to have any chance of getting back to Oxford I'd have to quit my Grimsby post as they wouldn't want to pay any compo. It was a risk, but a risk I was willing to take. After just 97 days at the helm I tendered my resignation.

XrB94UK.png

I left the club in a better state than I had found it in when I arrived, thanks largely to our run in the FA Cup boosting the coffers and our form in the league improving our position in the table to 12th, just six points off the play-off spots. And then...

dQU1X4V.png

Fingers crossed!

6vnWHNF.jpg

Morse sat in a leather chair in the Oxford United boardroom, awaiting the arrival of club chairman Darryl Eales. The last few days had been rather hectic and he had made a few risky decisions that he hoped would pay off.

Earlier in the week news had broken of Gary Megson's sacking. Morse had followed Megson's progress and wasn't surprised when he was finally dismissed. What did it mean for him, though? Whilst he was doing well at Grimsby Town he wasn't enjoying life in Cleethorpes. He wanted to be home, close to his family and his partner.

United were in need of a new manager and Morse was determined to get the job. He knew that Phil Brown was being touted in the media, a potential stumbling block. The only other name in the hat as far as the journos were concerned was Kelvin Davis, who had zero management experience. "If I can just get an interview," he thought. He phoned Grimsby chairman Jamie Nicholson and delivered his resignation.

"I'm sorry, Jamie, but I'm just not enjoying life in Cleethorpes. I appreciate the opportunity you gave me but I feel it's time to move on."

"I'm not going to lie to you, the United situation has had a bearing on my decision but even if I don't get the job I'm just not that interested in managing Grimsby any more."

"I appreciate that but I think the boys will handle the situation."

"Thanks, I'd better get going as I have a train to catch."

He paid the bill for his room, packed his bags and hopped on the 2:45 train to Sheffield. At Sheffield he changed to a train headed for Derby, and at Derby he got on a train bound for Oxford.

He'd spent a couple of days recuperating in Oxford, taking Laura out for dinner and catching up with a couple of university friends for a few pints at the Lamb and Flag, before emailing Darryl Eales. A couple of days later he received a response inviting him to an interview.

He was nervous but felt prepared for the interview. He knew Eales well from his time at the club, first meeting him a couple of years into his coaching apprenticeship. Eales entered the room.

"Hi, Seb, great to see you."

"Hi, thanks for the invite."

The two men shook hands and took their seats.

"I'm going to cut through all of the formalities and just get straight to the point. I'm not going to ******** you and tell you you're the only person in the running for this job, but I will say that you're on of a shortlist of four. candidates"

"Glad to hear it."

"The club has been performing poorly and we need someone to come in shake things up. Relegation is not an option. Do you think you can get the team firing quickly?"

"Absolutely, I'm confident that I can get things back on track. There's no way the team will go down under my watch, I can assure you of that."

"I've got some reservations about appointing you again given how things went last time, why do you think it will be different now?"

"I was thrown into the deep end last time when Michael left and I had never had the pressure of managing a first team squad before. I think now that I've gone away and gotten my stripes, so to speak, I'm well-equipped to make a proper go of things this time."

"Before I go into what we would want from you I would like to ask what would you want from us?"

"Just the chance to manage the team without too much influence from above. I'm not against a Director of Football in principle but the first team would have to be my domain. I'd also want to be allowed to study for my coaching badges."

"That sounds reasonable enough. Now, onto what we want from our new manager. Megson's football was, to be blunt, pretty dire. The fans weren't impressed with the way the team was playing and we want our new manager to implement a system that isn't kick-and-rush hoofball. Do you think you can get the squad playing an attractive brand of football?"

"I don't see why not. It wasn't a priority for me at Bromley or Grimsby but the standard of the players here would allow me to develop something easy on the eye. I've been developing a system over the last two years that I believe will work well."

"A new system? So you won't be looking to try to get the team playing 4-3-3 again?"

"Yes and no. What I have in mind is a 4-4-2/4-3-3 hybrid, think of it as an asymmetric 4-3-3. It's worked well for me and I'd like to develop it further."

The interview continued for another ten minutes, Eales spelling out expectations and budgets.

"Well, Seb, I think that wraps things up nicely. We'll be in touch."

Morse thanked Eales and exited the room. He felt the interview had gone well but wasn't taking anything for granted. He knew he may very well be out of a job for a while if the board decided to go with Phil Brown. Doubt started to creep into his mind. "He's managed in the Premier League, are they really going to give me the job ahead of him?"

Morse hopped on his bicycle and set off for Laura's flat. The sun was setting and a cool breeze chilled him as he rode northwards towards the city. It was a long ride and it would be dark when he arrived. Plenty of time to gather his thoughts and ponder the events of the last week.

4yWWYnA.jpg

Morse Unveiled As Megson Replacement

Oxford United have decided to appoint Sebastian Morse as Gary Megson's replacement, opting for the 31-year-old ahead of Phil Brown. Morse returns for a second spell at his home town club after being sacked back in 2014.

Club chairman Darryl Eales was present at the conference introducing the new manager to the press, sitting alongside Morse. He commented that Morse had proven himself following his departure from the club and deserved a second chance.

"Sebastian has done tremendously well in his short career in management, leading one club to promotion and righting the ship at another. We're keen to put the past behind us and are confident in his abilities to do well this time around."

Morse spoke of his excitement at the opportunity to manage United, saying that he had high hopes for the future. "I'm delighted to be back for another crack at Oxford, I'm determined to get the club out of its current rut and look forward to getting started."

Morse's first game in charge will be away to 4th-placed Exeter.

wOTNFTR.gif

Morse A Risk Worth Taking

In 2014 I commented that Oxford United were mad to appointment Sebastian Morse as manager and that things would end badly. My predictions proved correct. Nearly three years on, however, I believe that Morse may well have what it takes to lead the club to greater things.

He showed his quality at Bromley, leading the team to promotion from the Conference South, and turned Grimsby from relegation candidates into promotion challengers in a short space of time. The club has taken a bold step in choosing him over Phil Brown but I believe the decision could pay dividends.

O06KeyC.png

New U's Boss The Right Choice.

So, it finally happened. Darryl Eales opened his eyes and realised that Gary Megson was an unmitigated failure at the club. I, for one, was delighted. In the week following the news a collective malaise seemed to lift and fans looked forward to the arrival of Phil Brown to sort the mess out. Only Brown didn't arrive, Sebastian Morse did.

The idea of appointing someone we sacked nearly three years ago seems a little odd at first, but when you look at Morse's achievements since leaving the club there is an argument that he could well be the right choice.

Some may see him as a bit of an opportunist after leaving Bromley for Grimsby and may worry that he may not be committed to Oxford long term. Speaking as someone who knows him personally, being at university with him and having the pleasure of calling him a friend, I can assure you that this isn't the case. He bleeds yellow and blue and is determined to make a go of things and lead the club for many years.

We sit 18th, exactly where we sat when Morse was fired. The difference between Morse and Megson, however, is worth noting. Megson stuck with a turgid 4-5-1 system from day one and failed to listen to calls for change. Morse tried to bring in a 4-3-3 and whilst it may not have been suited to the players at the time it was at least a progressive, attacking system. He also displayed a willingness to change formations before he left.

I realise that my friendship with Morse may be seen by some as a conflict of interest but I won't hold back from criticising him as I would any other manager. Here's hoping that I won't have cause to as the U's go from strength to strength and push themselves up the table!

Robbie Hobson, Editor, Rage Online

I've decided on a new update style. Rather than a blow by blow account of every month as I have been doing I'll switch to a 'match programme + match report' that will be published from time to time, covering one match in detail and highlighting the club's recent form. I'll do one for my first home match to give you an example. Don't expect heaps of them, though, my progress through the save will slow down considerably when I return to uni.

I'll still post our past results and coming fixtures, perhaps on a two month + one month basis. Coming fixtures will be part of the 'programme', past fixtures will be under a BBC banner.

yuO0GoV.png

Oxford United V Crawley Town

Sky Bet League 2 - 7th February 2017

Kick-off: 7.45pm

Oxford United welcome Crawley Town to The Kassam Stadium tonight. Our opponents currently sit 19th in the league. Crawley were tipped by many to be favourites for relegation but have managed to hold their own so far this season. United welcome returning manager Sebastian Morse as he takes charge of his first home game. Spirits were lifted last week as the team got off to a winning start under Morse, beating in-form Exeter 3-1.

Manager's Notes

First of all I would like to extend my gratitude to everyone who has wished me well over the last couple of weeks. I have been looking forward to taking charge of my first home match and can't wait to walk out of the tunnel at the Kassam again.

Crawley have had a tough season but we cannot underestimate them. We are, however, well-prepared and confident of a good result if we perform as well as I know we can.

I look forward to a positive finish to the season, if we all pull together we will shoot up the table and finish comfortably in the top half.

Seb Morse

Captain's Talk

The team is in good spirits following our win against Exeter last weekend. The travelling support were fantastic all game and the lads commented afterwards about the noise levels. A Big thank you.

I would like to welcome the new boss and wish him all the best for the rest of the season. The team are determined to turn things around and believe he is the man to guide us away from the relegation zone.

Jake Wright

United Starting XI

Hwyi1w2.png

Fans got a first look at Sebastian Morse's asymmetric 4-3-3 last week and the formation has been selected again for today's match. Ebanks-Blake and O'Dowda form the strike partnership whilst Wayne Routledge starts wide right. Brannagan and Clifford form the central midfield pairing with Graham alongside them on the left. Wright and Rentmeister continue their partnership at the heart of defence, with Sadler and Sinclair occupying the fullback berths.

Injury Report

Gary Gardner is slowly recovering from his torn calf muscle but it will be a while before we can think about setting a date for his return. Alan Dunne is on the verge of returning to training after his sports hernia, and should be fit for selection in 2-3 weeks.

Our other issues are minor, Aaron Wilding, James Roberts and Matt Bevans are all on the verge of returning to training.

Pip Yeates

Fan Mail

I was at the Exeter match and would like to comment on the atmosphere created by the travelling U's fans. I'm a season ticket holder and get to as many away matches as I can.

The mood around the club over recent months had been concerning but there is a new-found sense of optimism among the fans following the appointment of Sebastian Morse. Our faith in the team never wavered during our bad run but we now have a belief in the man in the dugout.

Jason, 34, Reading

Tonight's Mascot

Tonight's mascot is James, 9, from Oxford. James' favourite player is Wayne Routledge.

League Table

taErzUB.png

Upcoming Fixtures

seq6DpM.png

Cheers, happened a lot quicker than I expected! Glad to get the toil out of the way and start managing the club I intended to from the start, don't think I could have handled watching Oxford from afar for much longer.

I can't help thinking where the club would be if I hadn't got sacked but that's the joy of FM, you've just got to go with the flow and accept set backs.

Here's a quick look at the club's transfer activity following my departure.

15/16 in.

15/16 out.

Player turnover was very high as the club brought in a ton of frees and let a load of players go. Letting Skarz go wasn't a good decision, not at that price tag. He's now worth three times as much and is playing for Portsmouth in the Championship.

16/17 in.

16/17 out.

Wayne Routledge was a fantastic pickup, other than that nothing spectacular from this year's activity.

And here's a look at the club's managerial history. Hopefully the only thing to change from now on will be the days column by Morse's name!

j6jx3MB.png

lrJLYve.png

Ebanks-Blake Fires U's To Comfortable Win

7/2/17

Oxford United got off to a winning start at home under new manager Sebastian Morse tonight with an impressive 4-0 victory over Crawley Town. Sylvan Ebanks-Blake netted a brace as the U's comfortably won the match, his first goal coming in the 19th minute when he headed home from a corner.

Jordan Graham made it 2-0 just two minutes later, the left midfielder going on a blinding run down the left flank before turning, bearing down on goal, beating his marker and then slotting the ball into the lower right corner of the net.

United were the dominant side early on and had the better chances on goal, coming close to scoring again through Conor Clifford in the 34th minute, and the U's managed to add a 3rd fifteen minutes before half time as Wayne Routledge fired home from close range.

The second half was less exciting as the U's looked to preserve their lead without exerting too much energy. They did, however, find a fourth as Ebanks-Blake scored in the 57th minute. The striker got on the end of a fantastic Jordan Rossiter through ball and managed to beat the keeper one-on-one with a cheeky lob.

Crawley were unable to exert any influence over the match in the second half and looked bereft of confidence. United got a couple of half chances late on but weren't overly concerned about Ebanks-Blake missing his opportunity to notch up a hat-trick as he shot wide in the 85th minute.

Manager Sebastian Morse commented that everything had gone according to plan, commending the performance of his team. "The lads looked really good out there today, I was particularly impressed with Sylvan's efforts up front. We need to build on this result."

Oxford Mail Man of The Match: Sylvan Ebanks-Blake

Q8YwwOy.png

Well that didn't take long to get back, quietly confident that this will be when United start making steps up the ladder.

Good Luck.

There's no reason why we can't, we're already pushing our way up the table and have an outside chance of getting into the play-offs if we can main the form we're in. *touches wood*

Cheers.

Archived