A third season struggle - Club reputation, players bedding in or pitch size?

Something that has always intrigued me and that is why I always seem to struggle a tad in the third season?

I always seem to do well first and second seasons but always seem to struggle in the third season in FM15 despite having better players by the time that comes around and whereas a tactic worked well at the end of say the second season sometimes it fails miserably at the start of the third even though as I say as time goes on your squad does get stronger.

West Ham move into the Olympic Stadium at the start of the third season and I do wonder if that plays a part as it certainly seems the pitch is bigger than at The Boleyn so could it be my 4132 tactic being too narrow? Is it that when you finish top six teams play differently against you the following year or is it to much change say bringing in 4 or 5 new players and it will take them a while to get going. Or a combination of the three?

Does anyone else have this "third season syndrome?"

No different to second season syndrome tbh.

Opposition play more defensive against you = less space to attack into = harder to create chances.

4132 as in DM, MC, MC, MC? It is a very narrow formation and relies heavily on having excellent fullbacks who get forward to provide width and stretch the defence.

No different to second season syndrome tbh.

Opposition play more defensive against you = less space to attack into = harder to create chances.

4132 as in DM, MC, MC, MC? It is a very narrow formation and relies heavily on having excellent fullbacks who get forward to provide width and stretch the defence.

Yep that's the one. Thing is though I score a lot of goals from crossing situations so teams are in defensive mode anyway a lot of the time, especially at home. Rarely do I hit teams on the counter. Maybe they attack more third season I don't know. It just seems odd that it can get harder even though you bring in better players.

Ask yourself this: Why am I able to attract better players?

Bearing that in mind: Why might things become a little trickier?

Yes I know but generally when you get a higher rep a lot of teams play more defensive against you. The way I play it "should" play into my hands. I only really noticed this as I was struggling in an old game in the third season and started a new game as the new patch came out and am doing quite well with the same tactics yet with far worse players than I had in the old game.

Archived