[FM15] We shall dine like Kings(tonians)!

dan_simmonds

FMjg3ZZ.png

Kingstonians - The Beginning

Season 1 - 2015/16

mru5VvQ.png

English manager Dan Simmonds has been named as the new manager of recently promoted Kingstonians FC in the Vanarama Conference South division. The newly appointed manager has high hopes for his newly promoted side, and has declared that with him at the helm, Kingstonians will taste Champions League success! Lofty ambition maybe, but K's fans will just be delighted to spend more than one season in the Vanarama South league.

First Team Squad

There's the makings of a half decent squad here. Unfortunately, I could do with a top drawer keeper, a better backup left back, a centre-half and a left sided winger. This should be enough to keep me in the division, but it could be a long hard slog.

Youth Team

Dire. And no-one worth mentioning.

Facilities

We share OUR ground with AFC Wimbledon (who to be fair own it, but it's called Kingsmeadow), if I'm any sort of success, we may see a local derby in a few seasons. Which will be followed by a new ground. I love to bring young players through, so I'm hoping the board will allow me to update certain elements of the facilities once I prove myself to them.

Finances

Not sure that the finances will still be in the black come the end of the season. I can only expect us to hemorrhage money, so a cup run would be lovely.

Tactics

Last year I had immense success with a solid 4-3-3 DM Wide formation, and I'll be looking to replicate that here. However, I'm hoping to have better luck avoiding the high scoring games I've seen elsewhere so far before the patch comes in a week or so time.

Board Objectives

Vanarama South - Avoid relegation

FA Cup - Third Qual. Round

FA Trophy - To be competitive. Whatever that means.

This season's objectives

Avoid relegation

Enjoy the FA Cup and try and make some money out of it

Keep the board happy by doing well enough in the FA Trophy

Generate enough profit to improve facilities

That's it. Now time to begin my coronation.

NB: I started this last year with Carshalton. but the youth challenge proved too difficult, so I fell in and out of love with it at various times. I hope by lifting that restriction, I'll be able to keep at it this year, especially if I can find a young player that really keeps me attached to the club.

History

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Season | League | League Position | FA Cup | FA Trophy | League Cup | Europa League| Champions League |
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| 2015/16 | Vanarama South | 1st | 1st Round | 3rd Qualifying Round | N/A | N/A | N/A |
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| 2016/17 | Vanarama Conf | 19th | 4th Qualifying Round | 3rd Qualifying Round | N/A | N/A | N/A |[/Code]

[center][size=4][b]Key Competitons and Champions[/size][/b][/center]

[Code]-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Season | Premier League | FA Cup | FA Trophy | League Cup | JPT | Europa League | Champions League|
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| 2014/15 | Chelsea | Chelsea | Gateshead | Southampton | Yeovil | Tottenham | Barcelona |
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| 2015/16 | Chelsea | Chelsea | Forest Green Rovers | Chelsea | Yeovil | Napoli | Barcelona |
| 2016/17 | Chelsea | Chelsea | Gateshead | Man Utd | Rochdale | Roma | Chelsea |
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[/Code]

Preseason 2015

FMjg3ZZ.png

pfjhZGu.png

Manager's notes

We kicked off our preseason training with a bunch of new faces and decent opposition in QPR U21's. In an even first half, we had a goal disallowed after 20 minutes but went in to the break level. My usual raft of substitutions followed, and the second half began. A late mistake by substitute 'keeper Forecast gifted QPR the win. We followed up that with Brentford the next visitors to Kingsmeadow, and new signing Craig Watkins opened the scoring in the 14th minute. Brentford pegged us back with a cracking 30 yard strike, before they took the lead early into the second. It stayed that way, but it was yet another promising performance. It wasn't going to get any easier as Man City U21's were next with a team including Negredo and Sinclair. We held out until the 14th minute, before Negredo scored his first, and Rekik kicked us in the nuts just before half-time. Pinney pulled one back just after the half, but Negredo grabbed his second and it was game over. We conceded again, but considering the quality on show, we'd held our own and even found time for a late consolation. A much easier game against Hayes Gate followed, a comfortable 2-0 win giving us our first of the preseason. Leicester U21's were our next visitors, and new signings Pritchard and Watkins put them to the sword to give us a 3-1 half time lead. Chris Wood pulled one back for them late on, but we held on for an impressive victory. Bognor Regis were our final visitors for the end of the preseason, and Watkins scored again to give us an early lead before Bognor pulled one back on the stroke of half time and then took the lead with an absolute sucker punch. They scored against just after half time, and although we scored a late consolation, preseason ended on a pretty sour note.

Next month

We start our charge up the Football League. Hopefully.

FMjg3ZZ.png

August/September 2015

Vanarama South

vJ8GC8Z.png

zHVesx2.png

FA Cup

KJEQEui.png

Manager's notes

The opening day saw us dominate against Gosport, Somner, Pritchard and Pinney giving us a 3-0 first half lead. The home side pulled one back with a penalty on the stroke of half time, but we contained the second half and got our season off to the perfect start. Our first home game of the season against Hayes and Yeading followed, and an early own goal put us in control. H&Y pulled one back, but another own goal put us firmly back on top before Cochrane sealed the points. 2 from 2 and we were flying, and travelled to Farnborough hoping to continue our 100% record. Pritchard gave us an early lead, before we conceded a penalty to let Farnborough back into the game. In the second half, we dominated and Pinney and substitute Walker gave us our third consectutive 3-1 win. Strangly, we had a game in hand which I could only presume was down to some sort of Groundshare issue, but a win against Chelmsford would see us top the table. The three days that separated the games forced me into some changes within the team, but Javlon Campbell celebrated his first start of the season with the opening goal. Hemati gifted the visitors an equaliser with an own goal, before Campbell turned provider for Cochrane and Walker scored his second of the season. Chelmsford got themselves back into the game by bribing Herati who promptly lost Challander and scored another own goal. Moone put the visitors in front, before Campbell put the bow on his MoTM performance with an equaliser. The third and final own goal of the game was the winner, and it came in our favour. We were top. We travelled to the West Country to take on Bath in our penultimate game of August, and after the thrilling 5-4 from the previous week, I would've settled for a boring 1-0 victory. Hemati looked to have made up for his performance in the previous game with a goal, but then handed over a penalty which gave Bath a share of the spoils. Our last game of the month came just two days later, and to keep the squad fresh the changes were rung. This time it was us who got the late equaliser and we finished August unbeaten.

The opening game in September saw us travel to Concord Rangers, and Pritchard gave us the lead after just 20 minutes, before we were reduced to 10 men when Andrea Zola was sent off. We held on until the 60th minute, but in the end had to settle for a third successive 1-1 draw. Staines were the next visitors to Kingsmeadow, and whilst we hadn't lost, we were starting to stutter. Cochrane gave us the lead, before Pinney gave us a second. Watkins grabbed a third and then a fourth and the game was over before half time. Staines did their best to get back into it, but after their second we went into contain mode and were able to comfortably see the game out with Brown killing the game off for good. WSM were our next visitors and Pinney gave us yet another early lead, before he went off injured. Walker doubled our advantage just before the half, and although WSM got one back, we were again able to contain the game and then grab two late goals. Because of the crazy fixture list, we then had a single day off before we faced Wealdstone. Despite a raft of changes, left back Collins gave us the perfect start. Watkins fine form continued, with his 4th and 5th goals in just 3 games. Wealdstone pulled one back, but the contain strategy once again did its magic and we grabbed another one late on through Walker to keep us unbeaten in the league throughout September. Our final game of the month saw us take on Hungerford in my first foray in the FA Cup. Richard Bryan scored from 40 yards to give us the lead, before Javlon Campbell doubled the advantage. Cochrane grabbed a third, Pritchard grabbed a fourth and we had the game in the bag after 21 minutes. Further goals followed and we ended up with a record win.

vFn4pyG.png

A nice accolade for me in my first month of the job.

0zOKTuw.png

Well deserved for Craig Watkins, a great summer signing.

9ahPwS3.png

Confirmation of our record win

Next month

Play a local derby against Sutton Utd, and try and maintain our early pace.

FMjg3ZZ.png

October/November 2015

Vanarama South

bE0PHD0.png

72v8ILi.png

FA Cup

uRcaFjV.png

FA Trophy

r8Lf2l6.png

Manager's notes

We started October with a trip down the A3 to Havant and Waterlooville. Walker had been moved into a central position due to Pinney's injury and repaid the faith with the opener. H&W pulled one back, then went ahead before he equalised on the stroke of half time. I moved us into the contain formation at the half, it didn't work. We lost our first competitive game. Chertsey were the next visitors in the cup. Watkins scored but then missed 4 great opportunities to add to it. Chertsey nearly made us pay for it with an equaliser, before Cochrane bailed us out. We went to Dorchester and conceded within 45 seconds, we were soon 3-0 down. We pulled 2 back through Walker and Somner, but then conceded on the stroke of half time. Walker pulled one back, but then conceded again and again. Awful. Rivals Sutton were up next and we stormed into a 3-0 half time lead. Pritchard added another 2 before Sutton got a consolation. We played host to Weymouth in the cup next, and after a goaless first half, Pritchard gave us the lead. Watkins grabbed a second and we saw out the game. Maidenhead were next, a Bryan free-kick giving us the lead. A second goal gave us the win. We then travelled to Dartford, where Campbell gave us the lead and then added a second. Although Dartford got one back, we saw it out and finished October top.

Two days later, we hosted Whitehawk with a rotated side. Walker gave us the lead before Pritchard went off injured, as our run of games began to take its toll. Whitehawk equalised late and we got a point. Our next visitors were L2 Hartlepool in the cup. Walker gave us the lead, but Williams pulled one back for Hartlepool, before Watkins gave us the lead again. That was as good as it got, Williams got FIVE, we were out of the cup and had to be content with the extra cash of 2,000 additional fans. We got a week off before we faced Margate. Campbell gave us the lead, but Margate swiftly hit back. We traded goals again, and just when we thought it was over, we won a penalty and the game. Bishop's Stortford visited Kingsmeadow next, and Watkins gave us the lead. That's how it finished. A rare trip north of the M25 to Hemel Hempstead was next. A comfortable win followed. Our final fixture of the month saw us face off against Bath in the FA Trophy. 3-0 down at the half and we never really threated. We were out of a cup we weren't that bothered about. Still top and heading into the Xmas period 3 points clear.

Next month

With the cups out of the way, keep up the league form and maintain the gap.

FMjg3ZZ.png

December/January 2016

Vanarama South

4bzfD8U.png

YXfABeb.png

Manager's notes

December started with a visit from Dover. Walker gave us the lead over the visitors in the 27th minute, before Brown already upset with me for fining him after a 2 yellow cards sending off, made it a lot easier to fine him this time with a straight red. We held on though, and recorded an important victory. We had 10 days off before we faced Eastbourne Boro, who lay 6th in the table. A dull 0-0 draw followed, with a lack of any chances created by either team. We then travelled to Chelmsford to take on the Essex based side before the game was postponed because of a bad playing surface. Not that it mattered as three days later we welcomed Farnborough to Kingsmeadow who decided the best way to stop us was to kick us off the park. 2 injuries and a Farnborough red card later, Walker gave us the lead. Farnborough were then reduced to 9 men, and I took steps to shore us up at the back and to grind out the 1-0. Because of the fixture changes, December would see us close out with 2 games in 3 days, firstly against Gosport at home. We took the lead after just 19 seconds, when Campbell selected due to injuries to Pinney and Walker scored his 8th of the season and our second consecutive 1-0 followed. We then travelled to Chelmsford for our rearranged game, and with little created, we conceded our first goal in four games in the 74th minute. Campbell had come off the bench and duly equalised just 5 minutes later. Left back Zola then chipped the 'keeper with a cross in the 91st minute and we left Chelmsford with all three points.

We began the New Year top of the pile, 7 points clear. We travelled to The Warren to take on Hayes and Yeading, and Page gave us an early lead. H&Y hit back with 2 in 3 minutes though, and we were up against it. I tore into the team at HT, and hoped for a response. I didn't get it, and the New Year began with a whimper. We took on promotion rivals Boreham Wood next, and it was a tight game in which a late goal by substitute Berry gave us the win. The following game saw us take on Bath at home, and Cochrane gave us an early lead with a penalty, before doubling our advantage 6 minutes later. We held on for most of the second half, before Bath hit back with two very late goals to get a share of the spoils. Mid-table Concord Rangers were our next visitors as we looked to extend our 6 point advantage. We were 2-0 down in the 48th minute, before a tactical switch to 4-4-2 yielded some results. Firstly Watkins scored before we were reduced to 10 men courtesy of an injury to Hemati before then Campbell equalised. We then fell behind again, before Walker equalised late on. A hard earned point put us 7 clear. I'd seen enough of the 4-4-2 to give it a go away to Staines, and Pritchard gave us the lead after 5 minutes. Staines Manager gave them a kicking and soon my team had fallen 2-1 behind. Walker equalised with goal of the season (if I remember, I'll load it up here once FM goes Gold), before Ifil for Staines was sent off with the last action of the game. We finished the month top.

xi1WvR2.png

More than happy to accept this

Next month

Turn some of these draws into wins and maintain the pace

FMjg3ZZ.png

Feb/March 2016

Vanarama South

fgPahMJ.png

m41X24f.png

Manager's notes

February began and Wealdstone were the opponents at Kingsmeadow. Pritchard was a terror down the left, and it was his cross that led to Hammond scoring an own goal. We lost the lead late on yet again, but took another important point. We were stuttering, but surely we had to win at relegation candidates WSM. So WSM scored a goal in the 20th minute from 20 yards. Unhappy, I let the team know at half time. Then goalkeeper Wells pinged a 60 yard pass to Sweeney who promptly smashed home his second of the season. Walker put us into the lead, before Bryan put the cherry on the cake with a great free kick. We welcomed our previous conquerors H&W to Kingsmeadow next, and Walker gave us an early lead. Page doubled our advantage 12 minutes after half-time, and we held on for a comfortable win. Our final game of February faced us off against Dorchester. We fell behind early on, before Walker picked us up and put us on his back. 2 goals in 3 minutes gave us the lead, and a 6 point advantage heading into March.

A top of the table clash against second place and local rivals Sutton Utd was the highlight of the March fixture calendar. An early second half goal gave Sutton a lead they wouldn't relinquish, and Collins scored an own goal to seal the game. Our lead had been reduced to three points, and Hemati gave us an early lead against Maidenhead. Walker doubled our advantage before Pritchard sealed the game and restored our 6 point advantage. We had the chance to clinch a playoff spot against playoff rivals Dartford, and we fell short. A disappointing result. Margate would be our next challenge and we suffered back to back defeats for the second time in the season. Our final game of the month would see us take on Whitehawk, where Walker gave us the lead. Whitehawk then scored twice and it looked like we would suffer our third straight defeat. Inns had other ideas though and equalised from a free kick. It was another important point, but it left us just two points clear with 4 to play.

Next month

4 games left. I reckon if we win three out of four we'll be champions.

FMjg3ZZ.png

April 2016

Vanarama South

RknHk8M.png

oVwdU77.png

Manager's notes

Cochrane gave us the lead against Bishops Stortford before we were pegged back and then gave away a penalty. We conceded from that, and then gave away yet another penalty. Wells saved it, but we still lost and our form had taken a nose dive at the worst possible time. We took the lead again Hemel through Walker, who then scored his second to give us a nice cushion. Campbell put the gloss on a comfortable victory, and when we needed a big performance we'd gotten one. With two games to go we needed four points to win the title, and our first cup final was against Dover. They quickly took a 2-0 lead before Cochrane pulled one back, and we went in at half time just the single goal behind. Brown levelled it in the 68th minute, and we took the point that clinched the title as Sutton and Dartford both lost. Our coronation was our final game of the season at home to Eastbourne Boro. Johnson gave the visitors the lead, before Watkins equalised. Campbell came off the bench to give us the lead with 10 minutes to go, and with that we won the game and the title by 5 points!

GUe3Zfj.png

We won the title!

Kl4DJ6V.png

A nice message for me

VrJxxTJ.png

And another!

Next month

Enjoy the success and start planning for next season

FMjg3ZZ.png

Kingstonian FC

End of Season 1 - 2015/16

Vanarama South

We stormed into the early part of the season and went all the way until October before we suffered our first defeat. Some strong performances at crucial times helped us keep a cushion that we never relinquished, the closest that Sutton got to us was within two points before we ended up winning the title by 5 points! Great season for us, and hopefully we can capitalise on the momentum we've got to keep us clear of the relegation zone when we head into the Conference.

FA Cup

We cruised through the qualifying rounds with 3 comfortable victories over smaller opposition before eventually falling to a virtuoso performance from Hartlepool's Williams. Gate money was welcome, but it would've been nice to have made a better fist of it.

FA Trophy

We were drawn against similar opposition in the Trophy, and whilst I wasn't bothered about going out of the cup, I was certainly disappointed with the manner of our performance. It will be nice to go a bit further next season, but I'll happily trade going out in the first round for survival.

Transfers

4 of the 6 I brought in played a key part in the promotion push, whilst the other two were squad members. I cut some deadwood at the beginning of the season, but ultimately didn't feel the need to tinker with my squad in January. More reinforcements will need to be signed this summer though, as well as the loss of fringe players not worth the budget that I'm spending on them.

First Team

Key Players

1. Dan Walker - ST - Unbelievable. At the start of the season it looked like he was going to be my fourth choice striker, but he starting scoring and made the other strikers look poor in comparison. Tying him down to a new contract was a must, and he'll spearhead our campaign next season.

2. Richard Bryan - DR - Solid, consistent and occasionally weighed in with an outstanding free kick or an assist.

3. Sam Page - DC - The rock at the heart of my defence. Played brilliantly all year and barely put a foot wrong.

Youth Team

Useless facilities, and useless players. Hopefully I can generate some money and persuade the board to upgrade the facilities.

Best Three 'Yoofs'

1. Tom Palmer - MC - Best of a bad bunch. If we go up the leagues any higher, his career with us will be over before it has begun.

2. George Harris - DC - Great in the air and a great teammate. He hasn't got much else going for him.

3. Bryan Yarde - MC - He's quick for this level.

Youth Intake

Rubbish.

Facilities

No updates to the facilities, as we have no money. Hoping some extra money in the coffers from a higher league and TV revenue standpoint will help me persuade the board to upgrade where necessary.

Finances

We lost 10k which wasn't too bad. An extra round in one of the cups and we break even. We need to make sure that we keep costs down as possible to ensure that we're in the black going forward.

Board Objectives

Vanarama South - Avoid relegation - Did someone say CHAMPIONS!?

FA Cup - Third Qualifying Round - 1st Round

FA Trophy - Enjoy the experience - 3rd Qualifying Round

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Season | League | League Position | FA Cup | FA Trophy | League Cup | Europa League| Champions League |
| 2015/16 | Vanarama South | 1st | 1st Round | 3rd Qualifying Round | N/A | N/A | N/A |[/Code]

FMjg3ZZ.png

Preseason 2016

nv3LSMw.png

Manager's notes

We kicked off preseason away to Chelmsford, and trialist Murphy gave us the lead, before Hemati got a red card. Another trialist Warren grabbed the second early in the second half, before Chelmsford pulled one back. Brown restored our two goal advantage before Warren inexplicably gave away a penalty although fortunately Sweeney and Watkins closed out the game. We fell 3-0 behind to Man City's U21's before the half time interval and although goals from Berry and Campbell in the second half helped, it was a better result than last summer. Brentford were our next opponents, and Collins gave away an early penalty and then scored an own goal as we fell behind by 4-0. In the second half, trialist Lock pulled one back for us but we conceded two more and ended up with a humbling defeat. We welcomed Aston Villa for another money spinner, but we went in level at the half. Agbonlahor gave Villa the lead and I went to the bench to make my changes. It ended 2-0 but it was a good performance, and the team was starting to take shape. Next up were Colchester, and an 'own goal' by new 'keeper Ammann gave the L1 side the lead, before Walker pulled one back and we went in level at the half. Sweeney popped up 10 minutes from time to give us a deserved win, before we started to take on the cannon fodder to give us early season confidence. Banstead were the first of the cannon fodder, and Pritchard gave us an early lead. Unfortunately, despite domination we weren't able to score again and although a win, it was disappointing. Our final preseason game took place against Wokingham, and with the squad that I'd spent the summer signing and moulding into a team, I expected a good result. New striker Toomey gave us an early lead, and then doubled our advantage. We failed to capitalise on that start though and were very poor in the second half. A second unconvincing win in the row to round out the preseason.

9zBsBIh.png

I'm glad the bookies have got so much faith in us... :D That derby with AFC Wimbledon is also happening a bit sooner than expected!

FMjg3ZZ.png

Start of season two - 2016/17

First Team Squad

We've strengthed where we needed to, and we've now got depth in every position. I'm confident of a midtable finish to be honest, and hopefully as the season goes on we'll be able to increase our reputation and look to get some prized free agents next summer.

Transfers

We've brought in some strength in depth at key positions and signed some players that will come into the first team. I have high hopes for Ammann who has some U19's caps for the Swiss, with Lock, Sinclair, Murphy and Toomey all looking to make a first team impact. Hill and Warren are mainly backups, whilst outgoing were all deadwood and I had no intention of keeping any of them.

Key Players

1. Dan Walker - ST - Last season's goal machine, and I'll need him firing to get us results. Can we step it up to the conference level?

2. Sam Page - DC - Defacto captain as Brown is no longer first choice, he is the rock our defence is built on. We'll need him on top form.

3. Arie Ammann - GK - Rarely do I pick a goalkeeper as one of my key players, but this guy has got the quality to really keep us in games. If he keeps clean sheets, we'll pick up points.

This season's objectives

Vanarama Conference - Fight against relegation - I'd rather under promise and over deliver, I've got the confidence that we'll finish midtable.

FA Cup - 4th Qualifying Round - A cup run would be nice for me and the finances, but I'll take 1st round away against a large 'sleeping giant'

FA Trophy - 1st Round - Extra cup games will be good for finances, but for me it'll be about squad rotations.

Generate enough profit to improve facilities - This is one for me. The only way to do this is increase the profile of the club and get more through the gate. A big cup game would be greatly received.

FMjg3ZZ.png

August/September 2016

Vanarama Conference

n80k1c2.png

hDBPWUq.png

Manager's notes

We started life in the Conference with a very tricky tie away to Wrexham. Watkins opened our account for the season in the 13th minute, before Walker picked up right where he left off. Wrexham pegged us back, and then took the lead. Cochrane got us level, before we fell behind once again and took nothing from the opening game. We welcomed FC Halifax next, Walker giving us a lead before we conceded just after we scored again and then fell behind. 2 defeats from 2, and it was going to be a tough season. We travelled to Exeter as Toomey and Lock gave us the lead. We gave away a penalty but then Lock restored our two goal advantage before Page gave us a 4-1 half time lead. We then shut the game down to take our first victory. The games were coming thick and fast, and we looked for another 3 points against Macclesfield. We held on for 78 minutes and we then conceded a penalty. Worrying times. We held Lincoln to a half time goaless draw and then capitulated. The tough opening month saw us take on top of the table Gateshead. They took an early lead, before Toomey levelled. The pattern repeated itself, and then eventually Gateshead got a winner. Another tough game finished August with a visit to Grimsby. We fell behind early on, before Cochrane equalised. We fell behind again and then got dominated. We finished the month in the relegation zone.

We hoped for a better start to September against Kiddeminster, and Toomey and Murphy had us 2 up inside 17 minutes. Kiddeminister like so many others this season pegged us back, and we had to settle for a point. We fell behind to Nuneaton but Watkins equalised before we conceded another soft goal to fall behind once again. Toomey popped up with another goal late on to give us another hard earned point. Our next opponents were Bromley, and yet again we fell behind. This time though it was sub Watson who earned us our point. Braintree were our next opponent, and Toomey gave us the lead before a poor kick from Ammann allowed Braintree to equalise from 50 yards. I thought sub Berry had given us all three points, but then we conceded late on and we dropped two crucial points. Our hotly anticipated game with rivals AFC Wimbledon came just as they sacked their manager. We were 2-0 down at half time, Cochrane pulled one back but it wasn't enough. Our last game of September meant that we would travel to Chester. Page scored an own goal to give Chester the lead, we then conceded a second and a third before Walker got us a late consolation and we finished the month adrift at the bottom of the league.

Next month

Find a win from somewhere. Anywhere.

FMjg3ZZ.png

October/November 2016

Vanarama Conference

7d6EJf8.png

6J5LmFw.png

FA Cup

FiORB22.png

Manager's notes

We started October with a massive 6 pointer against Altrincham. I'd tweaked the tactics because we weren't getting results, but my best laid plans went awry when Walker was injured after 4 minutes. We went in at the half goalless, and I encouraged the team hoping to pick up a crucial three points. Toomey scored a cracker in the 60th minute, and we had the lead we deserved. Berry came off the bench to double our advantage, and we saw the game out and took the 3 points we desperately required. Our next game saw us take on fellow strugglers Southport who sat 17th, and I was hoping for us to get on a bit of a run now that we had gotten a much needed win. We fell behind in the 7th minute, and ultimately an injury to Toomey led to us not being able to find a way back into the game. A visit to Forest Green Rovers was our next fixture, and although we fell behind early, Berry got us back into the game. We fell behind to a decent free kick early in the second half, and yet again we were unable to find our way back in. Encouraging signs perhaps, but no points to show for it. The games weren't getting any easier, with the visit of high flying Torquay the next game. We fell behind (AGAIN!) and without Walker or Toomey we were doomed. Well, until Watkins popped up with a fluke from the edge of the box and Murphy scored a cracking free kick. From there we contained the game and then had another huge three points! We began our FA Cup campaign at home to Wealdstone, the division below us. I was hoping for back to back wins for the first time this season. We conceded a penalty and found ourselves 1-0 down. Watkins got us level, before the referee gave the visitors another shocking penalty decision. Sinclair again equalised for us and we'd have to face a replay. The replay came three days later, and whilst I'm fed up of writing "we fell behind", yet again we did. We were really poor, and we were out of the cup at the first attempt. The final game of October saw us face rivals Sutton Utd and we welcomed back Toomey and Walker from injury. It was Toomey who put us ahead, before Murphy put us two up with a free kick. Cochrane rounded off the victory and we had another huge three points.

Another good chance for three points saw us travel to 15th placed Ebbsfleet on the 1st November. Bryan gave us the lead, before we were pegged back and then fell behind. Ebbsfleet killed us off and we had missed an opportunity. Toomey gave us the lead against Aldershot, and then doubled our advantage. Whilst we went into lockdown early in the second half, we held onto the lead and took all three points. We travelled the short distance to mid table Woking next, where Murphy gave us the lead. Pritchard, back from injury scored his first of the season, and we finally started to look like the team that had swept all before them the season before. Walker put the gloss on a great result and the back to back victories had breathed new life into our fight to stay in the division. Championship chasing Newport County spearheaded by Marcus Tudgay and Matt Derbyshire were our next opponents. We held on until the 57th minute before we fell behind, and then Derbyshire consigned us to defeat. Our final game of the month would see us face Wrexham at home, again we played well but left back Zola gave away a penalty with 10 minutes to go and we suffered another avoidable defeat having conceded two penalties for the second time in the season.

Next month

We've made progress, but now we need to continue that progress over the Xmas period.

FMjg3ZZ.png

December/January 2017

Vanarama Conference

LlAGeJP.png

AMX5BCd.png

FA Trophy

Pl46TqC.png

Manager's notes

We opened the month with an FA Trophy tie against Aldershot. Watkins gave us the lead just before half time, and we held on until the 89th minute before a fantastic 30 yard strike took us to extra time before we conceded in the last minute from another corner to consign us to defeat. A waterlogged pitch saw our next game get postponed, so we had two weeks off before we faced 5 games in 11 days. Exeter were the first opponents on this gruelling run, and we began with a 1-0 win, substitute Berry grabbing a late winner. We soon found ourselves 2-0 down against Halifax, and eventually went in 3-0 at the half. Watkins pulled the first one back, but then we conceded again and the game was over. We travelled from Halifax to Macclesfield, and Cochrane gave us an early lead. Our inability to defend set pieces came back to haunt us though and we fell behind, before Sweeney levelled the game. However, for the third time in the match we conceded from a corner, and we'd thrown away another point.

The new year began with a visit from Grimsby, and Cochrane gave us the lead. However, yet again we couldn't hold on, and Grimsby took the lead just after half time. Berry got us back into it once again, and we earned a much needed point. A huge game against fellow relegation candidates Lincoln was our next fixture, and a dull 0-0 followed. A host of postponements meant that we faced Nuneaton in the last game of the month, still adrift but at the top of the relegation zone. Murphy gave us the lead just before half time, and then we conceded a penalty just after the half. Walker came off the bench to give us a valuable three points and keep us close enough to safety.

Next month

Keep in touch with those above us and then try to get to a position where we can be safe.

FMjg3ZZ.png

Youth Intake 2017

nxGKPA2.png

Not bad, 3 players that might make the grade. I'd like to be able to upgrade the facilities, but we have no money, so I've been told no. Yay.

HRJatYr.png

Best of the three, and could do a job for the first team at a pinch. One to keep an eye on certainly.

vzijPDz.png

May need to work out where his best position lies, but he's got some promise.

ivL3pw4.png

Another striker. The switch to 4-4-2 may prove to benefit him.

FMjg3ZZ.png

February/March 2017

Vanarama Conference

SG58Uf3.png

vwXMX9t.png

Manager's notes

We started a make or break month with a trip to table toppers Gateshead. We conceded a goal early in each half, and when Cochrane pulled one back late on, I thought we might steal a point, but we conceded a another late goal and went down 3-1. Another encouraging performance led me to think we still had hope of survival. Unfortunately, we fell behind by two against Braintree, before Pritchard pulled one back and then Cochrane equalised late on. It was another point, but we needed to string some wins together. Rivals AFC Wimbledon were our next opponents and we were technically 'away'. We fell behind after a penalty, before the Dons were reduced to 10 men. Unfortunately, we were hit on the counter, and were two down at half time. Yet again we launched the fightback, Walker and then Watkins drawing us level. Another very hard earned point. We fell behind early on in the huge 6 pointer against Kidderminster. We conceded early, and then equalised with a penalty. We conceded again but this time there was to be no comeback. We travelled to bottom of the table Altrincham, knowing that we wouldn't have a better chance to get three points. Struggling for results, I decided to take a leaf out of Mike Bassett's book. We were going to play 4-4-f***ing-2. We fell behind, but Watson levelled it just 5 minutes later. Pritchard gave us the lead just after half time, but we were eventually pegged back and had to settle for a point. Pritchard gave us the lead against fellow strugglers Bromley, before a ridiculous own goal doubled our advantage. Bromley pulled one back late on, but we took a crucial three points and finished the month just outside the relegation zone.

The first match in March saw Toomey break his horrible goalscoring run against Chester. Walker who'd set up Toomey, then won a penalty that Sinclair duly converted. Unfortunately, we weren't able to take advantage of the two goal lead and threw away two crucial points. Walker broke his own goalscoring duck against Southport, but we conceded a sloppy goal 60 seconds later and dropped another two points. An end to end game saw us go down 4-3 in Devon, before we took on Forest Green Rovers. We went 2-0 down inside 20 minutes, and although we had the better of the game, we just couldn't create any decent chances. 7 days later we faced a make or break game against local and relegation rivals Sutton Utd. The home side took the lead, before Pritchard equalised. Cochrane gave us the lead after an hour, and we then held on for a memorable and much needed win! We finished the month 4 points clear of the relegation zone, heading into the final weeks of the season.

Next month

Stay up!

FMjg3ZZ.png

April 2017

Vanarama Conference

J1b0MLu.png

w4Koxwx.png

Manager's notes

We opened up the last month of the season at home to Ebbsfleet. A late own goal caused by a Collins corner gave us the three points and back to back victories to leave us 5 points clear of the relegation zone. We conceded early in our next game, a fluke cross against Alfreton, we conceded a second just before half time and we weren't able to get back into the game. We hosted Woking with the chance to make ourselves safe. An otherwise dull game saw Cochrane give us the lead with just 7 minutes to go, and a huge win meant we were 7 points clear of the relegation zone with just 2 games to go! Although we were now safe, we still had two games left to navigate. The first came just two days later at Aldershot where we fell behind early on and then conceded a second and a third just before the half. Clearly we'd switched off because we were safe and ended up taking a thumping. Our final game of the season would see us face playoff bound Newport County. Toomey gave us the lead just before half time, before Murphy doubled our advantage just after the half. Sinclair then gave us a third and we saw the season out on a real high despite a late Newport consolation.

Next month

Strengthen the team and see what the preseason will bring.

FMjg3ZZ.png

Kingstonian FC

End of Season 2 - 2016/17

Vanarama Conference

Really struggled and it was a long hard season. Ultimately, we needed more goals and a better defence, but I'm delighted that we stayed up. It could've been a lot worse, and we'll need to make sure that we pick up enough points earlier next season to ensure we're the ones being chased rather than doing the chasing.

FA Cup

We were poorly knocked out by lower league opposition and missed out on a crucial chance to make some serious gate money.

FA Trophy

We fought hard against Aldershot but eventually bowed out in extra time. Certainly a better result then we ended up having later in the season.

Transfers

I brought in some players that certainly helped keep us in the division. Toomey, Walker and Sinclair all starred. However, they only just kept us in the division and I'll be looking to bring in further reinforcements this summer.

First Team

Key Players

1. Justin Cochrane - MC - Great season at the ripe old age of 35. The only one of my players to break the 7 mark in Avg. rating and popped up with many a crucial goal.

2. Sam Page - DC - Captain fantastic. Losing him against Aldershot certainly contributed to the thumping that we took.

3. Matt Lock - DMC - Added some real solidity to the midfield, but I think I can do better and the likelihood is that he'll be leaving in the summer.

Youth Team

Some promising players, but none that are likely to improve the first team. Need to upgrade the facilities, but we have no money to even send me on a coaching course.

Best Three 'Yoofs'

1. Stephen Wilkes - ST - Not bad, and has potential. I doubt he'll ever make it through to the first team though because by the time he's ready, we should be long gone out of the Conference.

2. Barnett Charles - AMR - Not sure what his best position is yet, but much like the other two I doubt he'll make it to the first team.

3. John Rickard - ST - Another striker, but not as good as Wilkes so unlikely to ever get a chance.

Youth Intake

Better then last year, but no-one that's likely to make an impact.

Facilities

Yet again, no updates to the facilities, as we have no money.

Finances

We lost 50k over the course of the season. Going out to lower league opposition in the cup ready didn't help.

Board Objectives

Vanarama Conference - Fight against relegation - Well we stayed up!

FA Cup - 4th Qualifying Round - 4th Qualifying Round

FA Trophy - 1st Round - 1st Round

FMjg3ZZ.png

Preseason 2017

8XKpnDj.png

Manager's notes

We kicked off preseason with a visit from Aston Villa to try and inject some money into the club. Facing the likes of Bojan and Papiss Cisse was never going to be easy, and so it proved as they both scored early on for the visitors. We went down to a heavy defeat after Toomey scored a consolation, but as usual this was about money and fitness. The second of the four money spinning friendlies took place against Brentford. They laid siege to us during the first half, but were unable to find a way through our defence. They eventually took the lead just after the half, but we had given a really promising performance. Cardiff were next, and yet again we held them at the half. This time though, it was us that took the lead just after half time with Campbell opening his account for the preseason. before Morrison pulled one back for the visitors who then grabbed a late late winner. Yet another positive performance. Our final money spinner was against Charlton, but this was probably our worst performance of the preseason and it was a disappointing defeat. Now that the money spinners were out of the way, we began to take on the cannon fodder. Baldock Town were our first victims, Toomey giving us the lead just before half time. Campbell then put the gloss on an easy victory. Sheppey were our next opponents, Gabsi getting his first preseason goal, before Toomey scored again just before the half. Sweeney came off the bench to grab a third, before Murphy bagged the fourth very late on. Andover were next, Toomey went off injured and his replacement Watkins scored twice to give us another comfortable lead. Andover scored a worldy, but Hill restored our two goal advantage from a corner. Our final friendly saw us take on Wokingham, Morgan gave us the lead and then Gabsi scored a second. Wokingham fought back into the game and grabbed an equaliser, then Gabsi and Murphy put us back ahead. We ended up dominating the game and took away an amazing final preseason game.

Next month

See what this team is really made of and whether we'll hold our own in the conference again!

FMjg3ZZ.png

Start of season three - 2017/18

First Team Squad

We've strengthened again, and have made some steps forward in certain areas. Overall the squad is better than last season, but there aren't many players in the first team that have been displaced as a result. Interesting to see what Gabsi adds to the midfield and whether Morgan is an upgrade on Pritchard and Walker.

Transfers

Only three players are nailed on first team starters here, but Ammann has already lost his place to Turner due to his better anticipation and reflexes. He has a fight on his hands to regain that place.

Key Players

1. Lewis Toomey - ST - Had a really bad dip in form during the middle part of the season, but his confidence appears to have returned prior to this. With Walker gone, he is the first choice striker and I'll need at least 20 goals from him.

2. Justin Cochrane - MC - Another year older, but he was last season's outstanding player. I'll need to be careful with his playing time, but when he is fit, he will be the experienced head in my midfield.

3. Elijah Gabsi - MC - The switch to 5 in midfield is an attempt to get a stranglehold on games. The summer signing is already one of our best players, and is my early tip for player of the year. It's him that will be providing support for Toomey and the legs for Cochrane, so I won't be surprised to see him have a stellar season.

This season's objectives

Vanarama Conference - Fight against relegation - Another season I keep us here, another season the board will be happy. I was over confident last season, not anymore. I'll happily finish 20th.

FA Cup - 4th Qualifying Round - Much like last year, a cup run would be nice for the finances. I want to progress to the first round proper at least.

FA Trophy - 1st Round - Extra cup games will be good for finances, but for me it'll again be about squad rotation.

FMjg3ZZ.png

August 2017

Vanarama Conference

Zm7HLRe.png

SwtYZ3H.png

Manager's notes

We began the season with the visit of Southport to Kingsmeadow. Casabella marked his debut with a goal from a Morgan freekick, before Toomey won and converted a penalty. Murphy rounded off the victory and we had the perfect start to the season. A rotated team took to the pitch against Chester, and we found ourselves 1-0 down at half time. A switch in formation didn't help and although Sweeney pulled two late goals back we had been well beaten. We didn't have long to stew before we took on Aldershot, and Cochrane gave us the lead. Wilkes was making his first start for the club due to Toomey's injury and responded with his first goal for the club and we saw out a comfortable victory. The heavy start to the season continued with a home game against Woking, and we fell behind to a first half penalty. The second string weren't able to live with Woking and we succumbed to another disappointing defeat. Our final game of the month would see us take on Kiddeminister. Javlon Campbell came off the bench to give us the lead, but Yeoman pulled one immediately back for the hosts and we ended the month firmly in midtable.

Next month

If we keep up this form, then I'll be a very happy guy.

cs2mBxV.png

This was a nice milestone to reach.

• 2 months later...

FMjg3ZZ.png

September 2017

Vanarama Conference

xo75wel.png

RcXMGzn.png

Manager's notes

The month started at Braintree, and a slight tweak to the tactics had been made after our unconvincing August. Unfortunately we conceded, and minus the injured Toomey we couldn't get back into the game. We were 1-0 down within a minute at Forest Green Rovers, and soon found ourselves 2 behind. Sinclair pulled one back just after half-time, but that was as close as we got. A dull loss to Alfreton despite domination followed and we were in free fall. The fit again Toomey gave us the lead against Torquay. We were pegged back before Toomey added his second and then Morgan scored a cracking free kick to seal an amazing result. Toomey grabbed another against FC Halifax to give us another precious point, before we faced Eastleigh in a what would be a very tough game. Dudley gave the visitors the lead just before half time, and I gave the team a rocket. It worked, first Cochrane equalising, then Toomey grabbing a brace to give us a 3-1 lead and we saw out the game to give us another massive 3 points. The last game of the month saw us face our landlords, and a game in which we wanted all three points from more than any other. We'd be facing them without a manager as Wimbledon had sacked Brian Laws due to them being 15th! We fell behind in the 13th minute, and this time the rocket didn't work and we ended the month with a loss and in 15th place.

Next month

Ugh, just string some wins together. Lose a couple, win a couple, lose a couple. Ugh.

FMjg3ZZ.png

October 2017

Vanarama Conference

u0SUtdf.png

YVYlcVy.png

FA Cup

7a7EBlm.png

Manager's notes

After a week off, our next opponents were high flying Wrexham. They scored early on with a freekick that Turner should really have done better with, before Hemati was sent off with 10 minutes left to end the game as a contest, before Williams left us with 9 men for a second bookable offense in the last minute. We travelled to rock bottom Dover, knowing these were the type of games we had to win. Fortunately, Dover agreed with us, and despite the lack of Toomey, two penalties converted by Morgan and Cochrane gave us the win. We had a week off before we faced Grimsby, and I took a bold strategy to go on the attack. Murphy gave us the lead after 22 minutes, but we were unable to hold on and succumbed to a late equaliser. We had a trip to Hornchurch in the distraction of the FA Cup as our final game of the month, knowing that we could use a half decent cup run to really help out with the finances. A dull affair followed, and it finished 0-0.

Next month

I'm not sure really. Keep plodding along and try to get the best out of my team. If we get through our replay with Hornchurch, we'll face either Oxford City or AFC Wimbledon!

FMjg3ZZ.png

November 2017

Vanarama Conference

MXchUsd.png

6VdNO75.png

FA Cup

lMZCrHj.png

Manager's notes

We began the month with a trip to 4th placed Morecambe. Williams, still unhappy after I'd fined him for getting sent off, got us off to the perfect start, before Morgan doubled our advantage. Although Morecambe pulled one back, we saw the game out and took a valuable win. The replay against AFC Hornchurch was next, and we found ourselves 2-0 down at half time. I laid waste to the admittedly rotated team at the half, and got a response with Campbell pulling one back, before Sweeney levelled late on. We went to extra time, and one of the substitutes Murphy gave us the lead before we threw it away in the last minute. We eventually won on penalties, but had been pushed all the way by a team two tiers below us. Three days later, we faced AFC Wimbledon in the first round proper. Technically we were the home team, so I sent out my strongest line up and hoped we'd have the legs to face them after 120 tough minutes. We fell behind after 38 minutes, but Toomey was able to equalise with our first real chance just after the hour. Gabsi, Allen and Toomey, then combined for a fantastic second as we looked to take our first win over our rivals. Tyrone Berry came off the bench to score late on and give us a priceless victory over our hated rivals despite a late consolation! After the excitement of the cup, we faced Stockport at home and played out a dull 0-0 where the biggest bit of excitement was a correctly disallowed goal for the young Wilkes. Barrow were the next visitors to Kingsmeadow, and again, we played out a dull 0-0 draw, with the recalled Ammann making a couple of great saves to earn us the point. The short trip to Bromley was our next encounter, and we were without the injured Toomey with goals already hard for us to come by. Morgan gave us the lead in the 10th minute, before doubling our advantage from the penalty spot. Bromley pulled one back but then conceded their second penalty of the afternoon, that was duly converted by Cochrane after Morgan had earlier been subbed and the three points were secure. The final game of a busy month saw us take on Macclesfield at Kingsmeadow, and we went down by a goal to nil but finished the month with an impressive haul of 8 points.

Next month

The manic Xmas period begins, and we try to keep our heads above the relegation waters and book a huge potential 3rd round match

Good read so far, I'll be sure to follow from here on out. Good to see I'm not the only who one can't fly up the leagues instantly. :p

Well, this is only my third season and I've been promoted once so I'm not sure I'm doing that badly :D

• 5 months later...

FMjg3ZZ.png

December 2017

Vanarama Conference

5fFc3Xj.png

ttdNO4c.png

FA Cup

HtPrBp0.png

FA Trophy

bhcPjcs.png

Manager's notes

We opened the month with a couple of 1-1 draws against Ebbsfleet and Exeter respectively with Campbell getting his first goals in a month. Having made it all the way to the second round, we hosted League 1 Port Vale in the FA Cup next. Ammann being a hero and saving a penalty before we forced a 90th minute own goal to put us into the third round for the very first time under my stewardship. Back in league action, we faced Dartford who were also languishing with us in mid-table. Campbell continued his fine form by winning us a penalty in the 7th minute which Morgan duly converted, then doubled our advantage just 3 minutes later before putting us 3 up inside of 15 minutes. He obliged with his hattrick in the 27th minute and we were in dreamland. Campbell won yet another penalty in the 39th minute to take his first half contribution to three goals and two assists! Although Hill was sent off and we conceded a consolation late on, the second half had been comfortable, and we'd had one of the best league victories of my reign. We travelled to Hereford of the Conference South in the FA Trophy first round as our next assignment, and the small injury crisis we'd had started to abate. There were recalls for Allen and Gabsi, and top scorer Toomey took his place on the bench with Campbell in such amazing form. It was the returning Allen that gave us the lead, before Gabsi copied his central midfield partner and put us 2-0 up. Not to be outdone, Allen then doubled his goal total for the season with his second of the game and we were 3-0 up at half time and in cruise control for the second straight game. Hereford pulled one back in the second half, but it didn't matter and we were into the second round of the Trophy. We took on relegation threatened Southport in our next league game and with an unheard of 7 day break between games, we were able to field what was our first choice team in my opinion. Hemati gave us the lead, which we only held for two minutes until Southport equalised and we then fell behind just before half time. The half time rollicking made no difference, but the introduction of Campbell, Watkins and Allen certainly did. Firstly Campbell won a penalty, which was converted with aplomb by Morgan, then Campbell himself gave us a deserved lead and eventually victory. The Boxing Day fixture saw us travel quite some distance to Chester who sat one place ahead of us in the table. The injured Ammann who had been superb sat out, and Turner was recalled to take his place between the sticks. Zerafa gave us the lead after 15 minutes before Casabella made it 2-0. However, after half time, Turner's deficiencies came to the fore, and he was beaten twice and we dropped points for the first time in a long while. Our final game of December, and indeed 2017 came against Aldershot with Ammann returned to the starting XI. We went in at the break 0-0, but this time an encouraging word saw firstly, Hemati, then Toomey and finally Murphy from the spot gave us a comfortable 3-0 victory and a fantastic finish to the year.

Next month

Our reward for making it into the third round? A trip to Liverpool to take on Everton at Goodison Park. Good for the finances and good for the club as a whole. We look to maintain our good league form and try to climb the table further.

Editors Note: I took a serious amount of time away from this save to concentrate on my yearly Arsenal save, but inexplicably found myself drawn to it earlier this week. The use of my Arsenal tactic appears to have given me a huge upswing in form!

FMjg3ZZ.png

January 2018

Vanarama Conference

rcUh2Vb.png

DuIb7R9.png

FA Cup

e1WXOBZ.png

FA Trophy

WXDilOl.png

Manager's notes

The start of 2018 saw us take on third place Kidderminster, and just two days after beating Aldershot a much rotated team took the lead through a Cochrane penalty. We were comfortable, and then Cochrane took advantage of a rare start to grab his second goal of the game and give us the best leadup to the biggest game in Kingstonians history as we headed to Goodison Park. We were swatted aside like moths near a flame. But the money was nice. We closed our eyes and thought of the money. Back to the league action, and we faced Braintree. A late Murphy goal giving us the three points in an otherwise uninspiring game. A postponed tie against Chester in the FA Trophy came next, and we found ourselves 2-0 down at half time. Unable to get back into the game, we conceded a third and now we had to focus our attention solely on the league. Forest Green were the next opponents in the league, and a dull 0-0 draw kept us in the hunt for a playoff place. Our final game of January saw us host Alfreton and another 0-0 followed. Goals had started to dry up, but we remained in the hunt.

Next month

Score some goals. Seriously.

Archived