FM15 Suggestion: "Short note" column in Squad view

It's great that we can "customize view" of our squad by adding/removing columns that provide various info, ie. Apps/Gls/Ast/K Pas/K Tck to name a few.

However, there are no columns where we can enter a short text of our own. Here is one example of how it could be used:

- When it comes to player role suitability I tend to rate them myself. Key attributes for each role can be highlighted in the player's attribute screen.

- Personally I divide the importance of attributes into Primary, Secondary and Utility (usually not included in key attributes). An example of Utility att's for the Limited Defender role are Concentration and Composure. Neither is highlighted as key, but I tend to pay great attention to them, and classify them as Utility.

- I won't bore you with methods of calculation, but once it's done I give my player a rating for that role, and write it in Notepad or on a piece of paper. Naturally this helps with selection, and having a general idea about the player.

- The end result would be to have that info in a column which, ie would say: "D79, B76", meaning "Limited defender 79, Ball playing defender 76".

Here's a 'screen shot' of how it would look like:

- The red rectangle is serving as an outline of the column, which would be adjustable just like all other columns.

- Next to Serge Aurier there's an example of the text which we can type in.

- Naturally, it would be common sense to have a character limit, perhaps 10?

- You'll notice that I've tried a workaround due to lack of this column, by editing nicknames and adding Individual training column. When combined they tell me which position I use this player for, and what's his rating.

Note_column.jpg

I'll take the liberty of assuming that adding this feature would be a fairly small task, given that in FM it's already possible to edit nicknames, keep personal notes, add numerous other different columns, as well as adjust their width.

Additionally, the ability for players to add "Pins" of various color within the "Short note" column would deepen its' use. When mousing over a pin, our custom text would pop up in the shape of a tool tip. Character limit in "Pins" would be greater.

So ie. as per the 'screen shot':

Player name .. | Short note column

Serge Aurier | LBR 78 *Red pin* [Custom text that pops up when the pin is moused over] |

Various other uses for this sort of a column can also be found.

Ie. I'm usually a strict disciplinarian, often giving 2 week wage fines for poor performances. Some players don't take too well to this, while I can easily assert myself with others. The point of this would be to keep a tight shift, without the risk of mutiny :D by making a note on how does a player react, on a scale 1-10, when disciplined.

Also, when players ask for improved contracts I tend to force the "You still have time on your contract" option for as long as I can before offering a bumper deal. Here too, some players don't take too well to this, while other do. Keeping tabs on this could be useful. Noting down that I postponed ie. 8 requests from a certain player for a bumper deal could be useful. If he has a pesky Agent and I manage to get rid of him, maybe the eventual bumper deal won't be so bumpy :D I'm a penny pincher, I know.

Other various info could be placed in those "Pins", ie. Performance rating(s) when paired with [Player A], ratings when paired with [Player B], etc.

Breakdown: The "Short note" column [10 chars + up to 4 different colored pins with 100chars each] could serve as a sort of relevant notes and tabs we keep on players, that are viewable/editable on the fly. It would take little space, maybe the width of the 'Contract Expiry' column, and for those who don't want it, it could be turned OFF just like any other columns.

Glad you like the suggestion, thank you kindly. What I proposed isn't a new idea, there were requests from the community for a "Notes" column in the past, but to my knowledge it fell on deaf ears with developers every time. What might be considered different with my suggestion is the option to add/remove pins within the "Notes" column for each player. Here are two 'screenshots' of how a "short note" + 2 pins would look like:

Screen 1: Short note + Two pins (closed)

- Red line represents the boundary of the column (which can be widened or narrowed)

- As with the previous 'screenshot' notice the text next to Serge Aurier. This would be the 'short note' that may consist of up to 10 characters.

- Notice the blue and green pins next to the 'short note'. This is how they would look before you mouse over one of them.

- This example consists of a 'short note' and two 'pins'. For every player you can have ie. 0-4 pins.

Note_column_plus_2_pins.jpg

Screen 2: Short note + Two pins (green pin open)

- When mousing over the green pin, a box pops up that can be filled with text. For more clarity, it's outline matches the color of its' parent pin. Ideally, its' size would vary depending on how much text it would contain. This would be great for any type of a note that requires more detail and cannot be packed into a simple abbreviation. And more importantly, for those of us with family obligations it would serve as a comprehensive 'checkpoint' reminder, to help players keep track of their game after being away for days at a time. After not playing for, say, a week, nothing in FM is as annoying for me, as not having the vaguest idea which regen striker is my first-choice, at which point I must look at who has more appearances, goals and what have you, and then comes the re-familiarization with his attributes/moves etc.

Note_column_plus_2_pins_pin_open.jpg

So the 'short note' would be something that we want/need to see/be able to edit at all times next to a player's name without having to go to separate menus, browse through notes, or constantly hover over symbols for some pop-ups, while 'pins' would be something that we can add should we need them for more descriptive notes. Most importantly, both are in the player's row, take up little space, can be manipulated on the fly, and are a allround notes solution without additional menus/tabs and what not.

Precisely. Easy and intuitive access to features that would add more immersion and arguably more in-game depth.

I wonder if there are fellow managers still out there who would like to see this feature, or one similar to it, implemented in FM15... You've definitely been around SI forums longer than I have, would you know whether or not SI tends to implement features that are in demand, and how big would the demand need to be from the community?

Precisely. Easy and intuitive access to features that would add more immersion and arguably more in-game depth.

I wonder if there are fellow managers still out there who would like to see this feature, or one similar to it, implemented in FM15... You've definitely been around SI forums longer than I have, would you know whether or not SI tends to implement features that are in demand, and how big would the demand need to be from the community?

SI listen intently to ideas and especially good ideas. You may want to raise it in the FM15 wishlist. They do listen to the community and if there is enough demand or the idea is very good then depending on the ease of implementation they appear to act upon it. SI and it's fan base are very intuitive re the community gel is excellent and it's a two way communication which has served SI and it's fans well over the years.

Good luck hope they introduce it.

• 1 year later...

Archived