Financial fair play projection and/or calculation not working

So I'm managing Liverpool this season (2017 / 2018). Finished 3rd. At the end of the season, the financial fair play regulations are applied, at the 27th of May.

Well, on the 27th of may the "Financial Fair Play Summary" table shows a current and projected win of 27 millions at the "end of the period" (which is now, the end of 2017/2018). The same day I get the news item that FFP has been checked and I had a loss of 5 millions and therefore miss the champions league the next season.

What the hell is that? A bug? Did I get something wrong? Why is the profit in the summary window calculated differently from the actual check on 27th may?

Oh and the board didn't ever tell me all season long that we might fail FFP. Didn't make any spendings either since January.

Seems pretty harsh.

They reallly shouldn't have included FFP in fm2014. Waiting for a precedent would have made a lot more sense rather than trying to guess the punishment. Also, being a new feature, is was almost certainly going to be buggy.

Seems pretty harsh.

They really shouldn't have included FFP in fm2014. Waiting for a precedent would have made a lot more sense rather than trying to guess the punishment. Also, being a new feature, is was almost certainly going to be buggy.

In fairness since it was announced FFP would be introduced it has always been said that clubs would be banned from playing in Europe. More to do with football big wigs bottling it when it comes to PSG and Man City.

Correct me if i am wrong but in the game isn't it when you lose £X amount for three years running that you get banned from Europe? If so then it is more your fault. As i haven't really played much in top leagues i am not as up to date with rules exactly but when i have played in the PL i seem to get plenty of messages informing me of what is required financially.

EDIT: My thoughts on the 3 year thing are for the PL only. If that happens you will be deducted 5 points.

In FM for the Champions league it says "Teams must avoid making a loss of more than £4.22m over a three season period in order to comply with FFP. Failure to comply will result in the following sanction - A ban from the competition for 1 season. No sanctions will be imposed for failing FFP until 2016. The board is allowed to invest a max of £33.8m to the calculated income."

I agree and disagree with your comment. They have got things wrong, so in this sense, yes they shouldn't have implemented it. However, they want to make things as real as possible, so not having this feature just wouldn't make sense as it would steer away from their aim.

Never mind though, at least there's a little more information on how things work and we can now look forward to FM 15 :)

What have they got wrong?

What happened with them was always the likely outcome. There are 9? sanctions that can be used against clubs starting in 2013/14. In reports from UEFA over the last 18 months they hinted that of the 9, only three would be used against clubs in the first year of FFP.

The three sanctions were:

Withholding revenues from UEFA competition.

Prohibition of registering new players for UEFA competitions and

Restriction of the number of players that can be registered for UEFA competitions.

There was never any real serious chance of those clubs being banned from Europe this season.

they want to make things as real as possible, so not having this feature just wouldn't make sense as it would steer away from their aim.

Depends on the feature. I don't think anyone would've noticed if FFP hadn't been implemented in the game, same as no one was that fussed that administration wasn't in the game when clubs started dying. Better to have it 99% accurate due to a missing feature than wildly inaccurate with craziness happening due to a new feature which turned out to be inaccurate.

The problem is even if it's official, until it happens it is still subjective and subject to change. Many suspected that when it came to the likes of PSG and Man City, they'd suddenly change their mind and say they'll fine them (i.e. take bribes) instead, and that's exactly what happened. Others would've believed FIFA/UEFA would stick to their guns and ban them, though.

You missed half of my post... I agreed and disagreed, basically agreeing with what you just said (except the previous poster used far less detail).

I missed half of your post because that's not what I was replying to. It's not like I magically couldn't see the bits at either end of what I quoted. In fact I have to see those parts to delete them from the quote.

Depends on the feature. I don't think anyone would've noticed if FFP hadn't been implemented in the game, same as no one was that fussed that administration wasn't in the game when clubs started dying. Better to have it 99% accurate due to a missing feature than wildly inaccurate with craziness happening due to a new feature which turned out to be inaccurate.

The problem is even if it's official, until it happens it is still subjective and subject to change. Many suspected that when it came to the likes of PSG and Man City, they'd suddenly change their mind and say they'll fine them (i.e. take bribes) instead, and that's exactly what happened. Others would've believed FIFA/UEFA would stick to their guns and ban them, though.

But that didn't happen. They hinted that for the first two years (2013/14 and 2014/15) that clubs would not be banned from European Football. They would instead receive up to three of the nine sanctions. By blocking the numbers of players allowed to be registered they actually gave the clubs the 7th most severe punishment. Only banning from competition or the withdrawal of an award or title trumps that sanction.

I think there is a real lack of knowledge in football fans to the FFP rule. It has never been made clear to the everyday person what can/will happen and the papers and other media just point out a ban of CL football. There is rarely any mention of the other 8 sanctions, leading to confusion all round.

Archived