Ronny Deila - The quest for beautiful football

TACTICS, SQUAD BUILDING AND PLAYER DEVELOPMENT

I have been reading a lot about new Celtic manager Ronny Deila and been impressed with him so far. From what I have read his philosophy is fast paced-possesion football. This is my inspiration behind this tactic but I will come to that later. A bit about the man himself first, theses are the posts I used to gather my information.

http://www.hailhailmedia.com/kr-reykjavik-v-celtic-match-preview/

http://talksport.com/football/jose-mourinho-has-large-tattoo-ronny-deila-his-chest-new-celtic-coach-revealed-14060694856

http://www.celticquicknews.co.uk/?p=15404

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spfl/who-is-celtic-manager-target-ronny-deila-1-3433750

He had a modest playing career in Norway before moving into management at Strømsgodset - where he took them from a club in financial trouble and facing relegation to a Norwegian Premier League in just 3 years. Over the years he slowly implemented his philosophy upon the squad, seeing them finish gradually higher in the league each season.

Now on to the tactics, from the articles I took that he likes to play a 433. I am in two minds whether to go 433 or 4141 (using player instructions to form a 433). This is what I took from the articles:

- Shorter passing/possession based football

- Build the game from the back

- Work the ball into the box

- High tempo football

- Likes to develop youth players

- High focus on player fitness and technical ability

However in Football Manager terms I would translate this as:

- Shorter passing

- Play out of defence

- Work the ball into the box

- Higher tempo

The reason I dropped retain possession is in FM it tends to slow down the pace of the game and nullifies the attacking threat of the side. For mentality I have went for control as I think attacking my just be too aggressive for me. I am undecided on fluidity as I have yet to decide on player roles and duties, so I'll come to that in a later post.

I'm coming towards the end of the first season, and hope to bring this formation into play over the pre-season (just like IRL). The squad hasn't changed much from the standard 14.3 database, so I am not far from what Delia has to work with. This season I went with an attacking 442, it has done the job so far but I want a change. So far we are cruising in the SPL and look to pick up a domestic treble (just the Scottish Cup remains) and reached the Europa League last 32 (by means of Champions League Group) losing 2-1 to P$G.

So heres the two options am going for, anything that stands out that I have fundamentally wrong be sure to say ...

9iwgfq.png

In both set-ups it appears you only have one player who will look to get into the box regularly, an IF (A) and a WM (A) (a WM will do it less consistently than an IF). However it doesn't mean you won't be successful by any means. I would play a few matches and see if you have enough attacking threat. If you don't, then I would maybe add a more direct role elsewhere. An option you could try would to change the AP (A) to a CM (A)?

Another role change could be to make your left-back a Wing-Back (S); could add some needed width :thup:

As for Tis, just be careful with 'Hassle Opponents'. In the League you should be okay, but against top european teams you could be undone.

Just a note about Deila's "modest" playing career, as you put it. No modesty about it, really; he was a very solid central defender for years in the clubs he played, at the top level of Norwegian football, and was also for years in consideration for a national side spot (and I believe he got a couple of call-ups in his later playing years) - but because Norway has had very solid and clear first choice central defenders for years, he rarely got the opportunity.

I wouldn't call that modest.

Also, 95% of the teams in the Norwegian top league has at one point or other in the recent years been close to bankruptcy and facing relegation. So don't put too much weight on that :)

That said, Deila's work and performance at Strømsgodset has been impressive.

In both set-ups it appears you only have one player who will look to get into the box regularly, an IF (A) and a WM (A) (a WM will do it less consistently than an IF). However it doesn't mean you won't be successful by any means. I would play a few matches and see if you have enough attacking threat. If you don't, then I would maybe add a more direct role elsewhere. An option you could try would to change the AP (A) to a CM (A)?

Another role change could be to make your left-back a Wing-Back (S); could add some needed width :thup:

As for Tis, just be careful with 'Hassle Opponents'. In the League you should be okay, but against top european teams you could be undone.

Thanks for the feedback, I just finished reading Cleon's thread "Design, Create and Maintain". I see what you mean about the AP (a) and CM (a), I will change it and see how it goes. This is just a base to work with going into pre-season. As for the WM (a), I plan on using player instructions ('cut inside', 'get further forward', etc.) to get them action like an inside forward, with the added benefit of being more defensively stable. I want Kris Commons to be playing a sort of Thomas Muller role. I am still not sure which set-up I will use but if I go 4141 I will push him up and compare.

I was thinking of using a WB (s) on the left when creating the tactic, so again I will give it a try and compare. As for 'hassle opponents', I see what you mean about big European teams but I plan on making a more conservative tactic for those games once I develop my primary tactic.

I plan to have three strategies:

- Primary game plan - start most league games using the principals above

- Defensive/counter - used to see out a game we are leading after 60/70 mins

- Big Euro ties - used against big sides to see out the game and maybe sneak a goal out of it.

Just a note about Deila's "modest" playing career, as you put it. No modesty about it, really; he was a very solid central defender for years in the clubs he played, at the top level of Norwegian football, and was also for years in consideration for a national side spot (and I believe he got a couple of call-ups in his later playing years) - but because Norway has had very solid and clear first choice central defenders for years, he rarely got the opportunity.

I wouldn't call that modest.

Also, 95% of the teams in the Norwegian top league has at one point or other in the recent years been close to bankruptcy and facing relegation. So don't put too much weight on that :)

That said, Deila's work and performance at Strømsgodset has been impressive.

I was just commenting through what I read, I meant no disrespect to the guy. I just meant not a well know player outside of Norway, he wasn't a household name. I have no doubt he was a good player, even chipped in with a few goals if I remember correctly. I'm sure the highest he reached at international level was u21. Perhaps modest was the wrong choice of word.

As for the financial side I wasn't meaning that he was the reason the club didn't go bust. Just that he has the reputation of developing players and selling them on e.g. Stefan Johanson to Celtic of £2m. I understand that this didn't single handedly save the club but it must have helped?

What I meant was that for a new manager to "save" a club facing bankruptcy and relagation is nothing "special" in Norwegian football. Apart from Rosenborg, all recent league champions has just in the season or two previous faced bankruptcy and/or relegation. That's just the way of the Norwegian top league in recent years; it's a roller coaster ride, for most clubs. Molde and Solskjær was close to relegation just prior to winning the league for the first time, for example ... there's only 1 club in Norway with relatively good financial security, and that has not faced relegation for years and years, and that is Rosenborg. And even they are tightening their purse these days.

What I meant was that for a new manager to "save" a club facing bankruptcy and relagation is nothing "special" in Norwegian football. Apart from Rosenborg, all recent league champions has just in the season or two previous faced bankruptcy and/or relegation. That's just the way of the Norwegian top league in recent years; it's a roller coaster ride, for most clubs.

I didn't realise that, I'm not too familiar with it. Apart from in European competitions/FM/the occasional bet I don't really know much about the Norwegian League. So in other words the media have hyped up about saving the club from bankruptcy.

Don't get me wrong, I do think that Deila and his board did the right things in order to get finances in (somewhat) order, but yes - the media, and perhaps particularly Scottish and British media is putting a bit too much into that fact.

Squad Building

As a rule of thumb I like to have 24 +1 in my first team squad. By that I mean have a first team squad of 24 and a space to promote a youngster or bring in a much needed addition. At this point I have 32 (6 out on loan) who could be considered first team next season so I will need to look at this before adding any more. Althoug I have promoted 5 players so far this year.

I have brought in three players so far (Sergi Gomez, Carles Planas and Giannis Gianniotas) and have two joining in the summer (Hunam Tariq and Pavel Savitsky). This means that I will have to shift a few players in the summer or at least loan a few youngsters out.

2wh1efb.png

Don't get me wrong, I do think that Deila and his board did the right things in order to get finances in (somewhat) order, but yes - the media, and perhaps particularly Scottish and British media is putting a bit too much into that fact.

It's great to get a Norwegian perspective on him, by all means elaborate Thomit.

Sean, I've been unable to get into a Celtic save for a couple of editions now so I'm well up for this. People will slate this for being 'too easy' and say that anything will work for these players against this opposition but I can assure these people that my results say otherwise!!

It's great to get a Norwegian perspective on him' date=' by all means elaborate Thomit.

Sean, I've been unable to get into a Celtic save for a couple of editions now so I'm well up for this. People will slate this for being 'too easy' and say that anything will work for these players against this opposition but I can assure these people that my results say otherwise!![/quote']

I don't see why people slate it, if you are a Celtic fan then your first stop on the game is Celtic. Fair enough the league might be 'easy' but if you play as someone else and keep an eye on them the league is very tight most years.

But after all if you play a season and end up with just the league you'd consider it a failure. You have to balance this with chasing the treble and progressively getting better results in Europe. It is quite a challenge to build a squad capable of this, in terms of size and quality. I always try to keep it 'realistic' in terms of transfer fees and player wages.

It's great to get a Norwegian perspective on him' date=' by all means elaborate Thomit.

Sean, I've been unable to get into a Celtic save for a couple of editions now so I'm well up for this. People will slate this for being 'too easy' and say that anything will work for these players against this opposition but I can assure these people that my results say otherwise!![/quote']

I'm not sure I can elaborate that much more. Despite being norwegian, I don't follow the Tippeliga that close ... I'm following the BPL more.

About Strømsgodset; Well they stopped spending money they didn't have, sold players for good prices and bought players for even better prices, adjusted their budget so that it was more in line with their de facto income. That's just good fiscal management. It's also a scenario that faces allmost every norwegian club every other year or so; It's strange how fast these club's boards forget what is sound, instead giving in to pressure for results (from supporters and the media), and procede spending more money than they have, and being over-enthusiastic about their budget.

"Special Roles"

RB - Adam Matthews/Mikel Lustig

I want Matthews to play a similar role to Leighton Baines at Everton, I want him 'underlapping' the right winger coming in and having a shot. I will not be looking to utilise crossing in my game so this should reduce the amount slightly. The right winger will produce the width at this side.

4l64b9.png

DM - Stefan Johanson

I want to model him on 'the brain' Bastian Schweinsteiger, at this level he should fit this role very well. I want him to pull the strings in midfield, start off attacks and provide cover when defending.

245hjeq.png

LM - Kris Commons

This is another instance of copying Germany/Bayern Munich. Thomas Muller is quickly becoming one of my favourite players, I think Commons could fit that role well. He will be given a free role, to do as he pleases. I'll have to look for another player to fill this position in a few seasons.

2hs6iwi.png

Now I'm getting towards the end of the season, just a few games to go. I'm looking at the players who don't fit into the system I intend to play next season, I'm also pretty sure I have the players ready to fill these positions.

- Nir Biton

- Derk Boerrigter

- Georgios Samaras

- Amido Balde

My quick draft looks very similar to you actually just higher up the pitch:

rmjv4y.png

Missing TI is play out of defence. That and work ball into the box, plus distribute to defenders for Forster should keep the possession stat high without overly instructing them. I'm worried about the attacking play being quite predictable as is though. I may add a couple of choice roaming shouts and make sure that when I've got my fluidity full I focus on attacking movement...

My quick draft looks very similar to you actually just higher up the pitch:

rmjv4y.png

Missing TI is play out of defence. That and work ball into the box' date=' plus distribute to defenders for Forster should keep the possession stat high without overly instructing them. I'm worried about the attacking play being quite predictable as is though. I may add a couple of choice roaming shouts and make sure that when I've got my fluidity full I focus on attacking movement...[/quote']

It is pretty similar actually, just setting up mines the now. Going to start with the 4141 and maybe switch to the 433 if it doesn't click. Surprised that Kris Commons isn't in your starting line-up?

I think it will be difficult to recreate those Scandinavian quick, incisive attacks and rehearsed pass/move patterns in FM. You risk either going real direct football with too few men up top, or getting that deep line with slow continental passing.

I find it difficult to do both at the same time, so it may be interesting to follow this thread.

2013/14 season wrapped up and a domestic treble, time to shake it up...

So here is my transfers up to now. The first season was pretty quiet and I was just trying to improve the 442 used in the 2013/14 season. Gomez replaced Mouyokolo as he was more suited to the style of play. I was short at left back so I brought in Planas to help out Izzy, same deal with Gianniotas he was brought in to cover Forrest.

This window was a lot busier. Gordon came in to give us an extra option in goals (just to mirror real life if I'm honest), both Savitskiy and Tariq are for the future but will feature a bit this season. Rhodes was brought in to be the main striker this season and out went Balde. I signed Siegrest after Zaluska handed in a transfer request, and dos Santos when Johnason was ruled out for 5 months with a broken leg.

bi5i4n.png

14kzntu.png

Deila 4141

This is my first draft of the tactic, it done pretty well in pre-season (6W 2D 1L). The general shape is looking the way I want it, we're donating possession and scoring plenty of goals. The only problem seems to be my two CM's are too close together. I'll look into this for the next update.

2wohn3d.png

GK - Distribute to defenders, pass it shorter

RB - Cut inside with ball, Close down more

CB - Tackle harder

CB - Tackle Harder

LB - Stay wider, Close down more

DM - More direct passes, Close down more

RW - Stay wider

CM - Get further forward

CM - Pass it shorter

LW - Cut inside with ball, Cross less often, Get further forward, Roam from position

CF - Roam from position

It is pretty similar actually, just setting up mines the now. Going to start with the 4141 and maybe switch to the 433 if it doesn't click. Surprised that Kris Commons isn't in your starting line-up?

I don't know if you've seen it but in one of your links there's a reference to an episode of The Footballer's Football Show where John Collins is a guest and they are talking tactics. He outlines his philosophy and it is remarkably similar to Ronny's. Should be a good duo.

About Commons, he'll probably get the nod over McGregor but I'm not sure he has the mobility to play as an inside forward. He does have a tendency to annoyingly shoot whenever he touches the ball as well, how is he performing for you?

I don't know if you've seen it but in one of your links there's a reference to an episode of The Footballer's Football Show where John Collins is a guest and they are talking tactics. He outlines his philosophy and it is remarkably similar to Ronny's. Should be a good duo.

About Commons' date=' he'll probably get the nod over McGregor but I'm not sure he has the mobility to play as an inside forward. He does have a tendency to annoyingly shoot whenever he touches the ball as well, how is he performing for you?[/quote']

Yeah I noticed that, they certainly seen a good pair to be leading the first time. Really impressed with tonights game, it was all going right from the off. No slow starts and some attractive football played.

He done really well my first season 10 goals and 10 assists in 22 games from LM with the same PI as above. Most of his goals come from the edge of the box, got fans player of the year too!

The squads taking to the tactic pretty well. In the first 5 competitive games we've scored 12 and kept 5 clean sheets. Not made any changes so far, I don't think. The problem is though, I have 5 strikers and only play one up front. I have a dilemma, Anthony Stokes and Leigh Griffiths had great seasons last season so they'll get a chance, I just brought in Jordan Rhodes and he's been great so far. I want to give Teemu Pukki a chance and Tony Watt just returned from loan. Stokes and Watt can be played on the wings but thats a position I'm pretty set with.

Excluding that, the balance of the squad is simply outstanding.

Ah decisions decisions...

This is from a 3-0 win over Slovan Bratislava in the 2nd leg of a Champions League Qualifier. We went into the tie 2-0 up from the home leg, so I could afford to set out as normal and look to dominate the game. And that we did. This is how the squad looked on the heat map (higher defensive line is not selected). The image along with the fact we had 58% possession shows that we pressed high up the pitch, the pass success rate was 85% I'm looking to increase that to 90% +.

2ii8nch.png

Things got of to a great start with the tactic, we scored a ridiculous amount of goals and kept an impressive amount of clean sheets. I think the final two results in August were down to me being tired and just wanting to get through the month so I could save and go to bed (OCD). Overall the tactic looks very stable, over the next few months the plan is to develop a tactic for the big European games.

520es.png

I've not had to make any changed to the set up I don't think, all I added was 'play wider'. All I have been doing is changing how far up the pitch the wingers are depending on who I play in that position. During the game about 60/70 minutes if we're leading I tend to switch to defensive with the following team instructions:

xbls1z.png

In the first game of the season at home to Ross County, a fixture I generally struggle with two days after a CL Qualifier, the first half was the most dominating 45 minutes of FM football that I have ever seen. 9 shots, 8 on target, 64% possession and 2-0 going on 5-0. Very disappointed that it only finished 2-1 though. This is a little bit of a theme so far, we are getting the chances and we are comfortably being the better team but I'm not seeing 4/5/6-0 results.

The results seem good, but are you getting the "beautiful football" you wanted?

Yeah it looks pretty good. I'm seeing a lot of sharp short passing, it doesn't look like anything is going to happen and then theres one killer pass and someone puts it in the back of the net. Pass completion is averaging 85% and possession about 60%, hoping to increase that as the season goes on.

In the first game of the season at home to Ross County' date=' a fixture I generally struggle with two days after a CL Qualifier, the first half was the most dominating 45 minutes of FM football that I have ever seen. 9 shots, 8 on target, 64% possession and 2-0 going on 5-0. Very disappointed that it only finished 2-1 though. This is a little bit of a theme so far, we are getting the chances and we are comfortably being the better team but I'm not seeing 4/5/6-0 results.[/quote']

I have found the first half to be more dominant too, possibly due to my change in tactics when we have the lead. I wouldn't be worried about the opening game of the season. I usually give my tactics at least 6 competitive games before I start looking for the strengths and weaknesses, unless I see something blatant.

Current situation:

- 1st November 2014

- Top of the league (9W 3D 0L)

- 2.2 scored/game and 0.5 conceded/game

- Dropped 'play wider' after back-to-back SPL draws; good decision.

- Bottom of the Champions League Group but still pretty confident of going through.

- Arranged to sign Mark O'hara (£300k) at the end of the season as long term Charlie Mulgrew replacement.

- Hoping to make a big profit on at least one player by then end of the season (no offering out star/prospetcs)

wb6z3o.png

Board Confidence/Club Philosophies

First of all I found this article very interesting...

http://www.thefootballlife.co.uk/post/93571187451/celtic-or-sell-tic

Back on track now. The club are pretty happy with the overall stature of the club and progress in all competitions. As for the philosophies:

First Team Youngster Signings:

I won't be wasting any money on players over the age of 23, by then its usually too let to get them at a good price. The exception to that rule was Jordan Rhoeds who I got at a bargain price. Out of my 9 signings 6 have been under 23 and just one over 30.

Attacking Football:

The tactics I have the squad playing is pretty attacking and the board are happy with it. I imagine the fans are too with the amount of goals scored so far this season.

9a22i9.png

Celtic (4th) vs Olympiakos (3rd) - Champions League Group G

So game 4 of this years Champions League Group Stages, and possibly the most important game of the season. Olympiakos were lucky to beat us in Greece with two second half goals. If results go our way we could land up in 2nd place. According to the scout report they should line up with a 4231, this works into my 4141 pretty well.

They look defensively vulnerable so thats what I am going to try and exploit. I am very aware of Javier Saviola who scored in the winner last time around, luckily he isn't as quick as he once was but still a threat. The majority of their goals conceded come in the 2nd half so if I need to I will push on.

2qm0rbk.png

Tactical Changes

- Played Mikel Lustig and Carles Planas as they are better defensively than Adam Matthews and Emilio Izzaguire.

- Man marked Javier Saviola

- Changed Jonathan dos Santos to a DM to offer better cover for the back 4 and mark their AM

- Pushed Hunam Tariq further upfield and changed his role to exploit the space behind their midfield.

- Used exploit the flanks as most the goals they concede come from there.

27xdnhi.png\

The game didn't get off to the best of starts and conceded from a corner, Tariq utilised his free man role and played most of the game completely unmarked, this led to the equalising goal and a key pass in the winning goal. dos Santos kept David Fuster (their AM) out the game meaning he got a 6.2.

They switched to a 442 about 60 mins so I pulled off a midfielder and put in another defender then move Sergi Gomez into the sweeper role.

p3up1.png

Midway through the season, still undefeated in the league but too many draws for my liking. I got the tactics wrong in both the St Mirren and Ross County games. St Mirren I went to reserved against their 3 AM's and they hit me early, Ross County was the opposite. I went to sit back in the 2nd half and they took advantage.

In the Champions League we were pretty disappointing. A group we could have topped potentially, I think laziness and thinking I could stroll some of the games was my problem.

There wasn't much changes to the tactics, I was switching between control and attack, not sure what I want to go for yet. I want to bring in players with better passing, I have about £16m available to spend going into the window.

wtinwo.png

xeqvrk.png

2hwn0na.png

So I have quickly drafted up a 433 and a 4411. As I don't see a 442 anywhere in the future so I decided to move on a few strikers. Also I agreed to sign Oliver Norwood on a pre-contract. Norwood is a player I like, I'll probably lose Jonathan do Santos at the end of the season due to his Barca contract expiring and I won't pay the wages he wants. He has great passing and should be a great play maker for the club.

I'll get the tactics up when I get the instructions etc. right.

11r6ssp.png

169i1cj.png

bjdgm0.png

Already looking ahead to next season.

- Use a one-in-one-out transfer policy

- Get rid of Efe Ambrose (bomb scare)

- Mark O'hara and Oliver Norwood replace Efe and Jonathan dos Santos

- Bring a striker more suited to the lone striker role to replace Leigh Griffiths

- Try and find the expiring youngsters a club before the end of the season

- Find a better back up keeper, Benjamin Siegrist is awful conceded 9 in 4 cup games surprisingly were out of both.

So this is the three formations I have decided to go for. I will go into more detail about various TI/PI when I have it perfected.

2jg4faw.png

alkvas.png

- Tied up Fraser Forster (2018 +1) and Charlie Mulgrew (2017 +1) on new deals costing just £3k p/w extra in total.

- Arranged a pre-contract with Jak Alnwick to replace the abysmal Ben Siegrist

- Arranged a pre-contract with Everton youngster Chris Long (4.5 * potential)

- Agreed the £1.7m transfer of Stevie May to replace Leigh Girffiths

- Managed to find a club for one expiring youth player.

23iatuc.png

jig68o.png

9gipo7.png

Celtic (1st) vs Dundee Utd (7th) - SPL

A fine example of the ASYM tactic doing what it does best. 2-0 win over Dundee Utd (7th), we dominated possession was at 68% in the first half and managed to complete 83% of our passes, but to be fair I have seen better. We could have scored a few more too with the ball cracking the woodwork twice.

2mmxx6s.png

As you can see most of the passes are occurring just outside their area, where I want most of the game to be played. I this instance that was the case, bare in mind I rested a few first team players for the upcoming EL QF with Genoa.

aeny1d.png

Next is player movements. Look at the difference between Pavel Savitsky and Giannis Gianniotas, both doing exactly what I want. Savitsky coming inside and having a pop at goal, scoring as a result and Gianniotas running to the byline and trying to feed it into the box.

x1iv68.png

whkxn4.png

Lastly is the chances created. Doing what I want chances in and around the box from all areas.

347d6h4.png

Celtic vs Genoa - Europa League Quarter Final

I went with my trusted 4141 for this game as I felt the bank of 4 midfielders would offer better protection for my defenders. It turned out to be a good choice as we kept back to back clean sheets and finished the tie 6-0 on aggregate. Now this wasn't some diddy team I was playing they were 2nd in Serie A and still fighting it out for that spot.

Metalist beat Arsenal 4-1 (surprisingly) on aggregate to meet us in the semi-final.

9v8ohy.png

2m5dmv6.png

14ik515.png

- Still undefeated in the league (25W 8D 0L)

- 2.3 scored/game and 0.7 conceded/game

- Out of both the Scottish Cup and League Cup to Aberdeen

It really shocked me that he has done so poorly thus far. Although he is the type of manager who needs a lot of time to build a team I wouldn't expect that. Hopefully he will turn it around but jesus that is not a good way to start your celtic career.

It really shocked me that he has done so poorly thus far. Although he is the type of manager who needs a lot of time to build a team I wouldn't expect that. Hopefully he will turn it around but jesus that is not a good way to start your celtic career.

It is not. Can't put the full weight of the blame on him though. The board failed to back him thinking we could stroll through the qualifiers without strengthening the squad. He got some tactical decisions wrong though, playing Igbert one day after joining, leaving Griffiths on the bench when you NEED to score, Stokes isn't a big game player. Missing Sammy big time.

The squad didn't step up. No hunger to win, van Dijk looks like he's thinking about how to mark Rooney already. No one stood up and showed the fight Brown gives the team. Overall very poor.

Hopefully its just a blip or learning curve and we make it to the Europa League Groups. I think he will come good, he just doesn't have the players to play his way yet. Sooner he gets rid of Ambrose, Boerrigter, Balde, Rogic, Pukki and Kayal then replaces them with first team players the better.

Player who could leave in the summer.

- Benjamin Siegrist: Unhappy about lack of first team football and I have already signed his replacement on a free transfer. I'm willing to let him go for free with a sell on clause.

- Virgil van Dijk: Got two red cards in the opening half of the season and was unhappy about a 1 week fine, the relationship has completely broken down and he's handed in a transfer request. I'm hoping he changes his mind but if not I have a £12m asking price.

- Jonathan dos Santos: Loan due to expire and I won't match his contract request.

- Leigh Griffiths: Just doesn't suit the formation and I have Stevie May and Chris Long on their way in.

- Jamie Lindsay: Agreed to join Kilmarnock for 50% of the next sale.

Contracts Expiring

- Bahrudin Atajic: I would like to keep him on but not for £5k p/w

- Fillip Twardik

- Craig Gordon: I only really brought him in to mirror real life

- Denny Johnstone

- Connor McManus

- Jack Kirwan

Players out on loan who could leave

- Tom Rogic

- Tony Watt

- Dylan McGeough

- Derk Boerrigter

- Holmbert Fridjonsson

- Joe Chalmers

n6z0qx.png

2vdmmhk.png

The youngest of the bunch, Aiden McIlduff. I've had him working with Emilio Izaguirre over the past two seasons, this has helped with massive improvements to both his physical game and attacking. His best role has went from limited full back to full back and picked up two PPM's.

2duci2t.png

24zwtnc.png

I've had Joe Thompson working with Kris Commons, he too has seen massive improvements across the board. Injury this season has kept him out the first team but he has impressed for the reserves and now nearing fitness will hopefully get an appearance.

2w5q0df.png

28s8q6o.png

Probably the most improved of the bunch. Made a ton of appearances of the bench last season but has started 10 so far in the SPL this year. I've had Scott Brown tutoring him, I see a future captain here.

2ntiiwm.png

no6lba.png

Just signed this season and is worth 10x what I payed. Been a key player for us this season at times, his assist return is great and I'm hoping he can only improve.

ynd34.png

9pryhe.png

Spent last season out on loan and was a key player for Morton, can't really get into the side at the moment. Another loan may be due.

2rnc3va.png

20aujkj.png

I used him in the run in last year and again this year, his main attributes are improving steadily. Will feature a lot more next season. I have had both Efe Ambrose and Virgil van Dijk tutoring at times.

2m7chza.png

2d0awed.png

Lewis Kidd proved to be a very good player while Stefan Johansson was out injured. As you can see improvement across the board, he has been working with Charlie Mulgrew.

2h6aof8.png

wkffk0.png

Another new signing who continued their fine form from their previous club. He is proving more than capable of being a long term replacement for Kris Commons.

tan8g6.png

2a5wzkl.png

Right up there with Liam Henderson in terms of development. His loan to Notts County last season meant his transition as a first team player was easy. Will definitely be around for the long term. Made it.

kamjoy.png

334qc9l.png

Not developed anywhere near as much as I would have liked. Probably due to the lack of first team football because of the amount of strikers I had. Hopefully next season he can make at least 10 appearances.

So. The league is finished and we are in the Europa League Final. I almost made a huge error (well I did but I was very lucky). I played a rotated squad against Hibs, before the 2nd leg against Metalist I cleared my subs and went to select my team. I double tapped the space by by mistake. I was now playing the Europa League Semi with the same XI men who had played just days before, with no subs.

Luckily we got the first goal and managed to see the tie out 3-1 on aggregate.

28sae8m.png

Up next Europa Legaue Final vs Dynamo Kiev and then season evaluation.

Scout Reports

As you can see here they are weakest against the 41221 formation. I plan to use a 4141 as I fell it will offer more defensive protections against their front 3. Yet the roles I have set the players will still see them get forward in the attacking phase.

Their star player so far Olexandr Shovkivskyi is a 40 year old goalkeeper so that doesn't worry me too much. the pace of Dieumerci Mbokani is quite terrifying.

331nbcw.png

2432ucl.png

Team Selection

They will be without two key players through suspension. If I am correct that means 17 year old Anton Zhuk will be staring, which would be a bonus. I will be focusing on him if he does.

30215eh.png

I had a tough decision to make here. Up top did I start Jordan Rhodes and end up with a Diego Costa situation or bring him on later in the game if I need a goal. Ended up going with Mikel Lustig instead of Sergi Gomez on the bench.

2zznmu9.png

First half was pretty boring. We dominated and tested the keeper, no booking or tactical changes. They sat deep with their two DM's pretty much impossible to break down. Player were naturally going wide with the ball so no need to change things yet.

eafal1.png

Left foot of Charlie Mulgrew puts us in the lead from a free kick with half an hour on the clock. Came from a stupid foul really crowd of players in the box and a Dynamo player brings down Kris Commons.

2j0c85f.png

Jordan Rhodes came on for Leigh Griffiths about 65 mins then a reshuffle and double substitution going into the final 10 minutes of the game.

214sit.png

Final Whistle, CHAMPIONS.

2dka2l3.png

28jkt4m.png

Up next season review and number crunching.

Archived