Understanding Holland table (Jupiter League)

So in looking at the rules:

- One promotion team; one relegation team

- Eight teams quality for playoff

So assuming the playoffs is for the one promotion spot.

There is no mention of playoff for relegation so that's just who finishes last?

Also, there are 20 teams in the table. The top 7 are highlighted (one green in 1st place, 2nd through 7th are highlighted in yellow). Three teams in red near the bottom...but not the bottom three teams. The teams in red are 15th, 18th and 19th.

So I'm very confused about why certain teams are highlighted as they don't make sense like the English leagues did. If only one team is relegated, why are three teams in red and none of those are in last place.

Why are 8 teams in the playoffs for promotion...but only 7 teams highlighted?

Oh, and no point ties at current time for 8th or last positions.

Off the top of my head.

Teams in 2nd to 7th will compete along with two teams from the division above in a eight team playoff for two places in the division above.

Teams 2nd from bottom and 3rd from bottom will compete in a playoff with teams from the division below for those two places in the division.

OK. That's making a bit more sense. Still not sure why it's not the exact bottom three.

Nope sorry, my mistake I'm wrong above.

Just had a look to remind myself.

The league season is split into 4 periods of eight games.

The winner of each period goes into the eight team playoff with the remaining places filled by league position.

The teams in 15th, 18th & 19th must have claimed a playoff place by winning one of the periods.

There are three teams that cannot be relegated from the Jupiler League. They are the three 'B' teams, Jong Ajax is one, Jong Twente and another. That is why the relegation places are mixed up a little.

Once you get to the end of the first year it will be a bit clearer.

xGGBZjT.png

As you can see here, the three B teams aren't relegated.

Fortuna grab a Play Off spot after being top of the first 8 game split.

Ok having looked at my save its a little more complicated and I'm not 100% convinced it highlights right.

Relegation - One team is relegated which is the team finishing last UNLESS it is a "B" team of an Eredivisie team in which case the next "Normal" team above gets relegated. I don't know why three teams are highlighted in red (Maybe a display bug carried over from when there were relegation playoffs?)

Promotion - Each period is 7 games and the winner of each period gets a playoff place. But four periods of 7 games only equals 28 games whereas a full season is 38 games??? Other playoff places go to teams highest in the league who didn't get a place through the periods. "B" Teams can't be promoted so don't get playoff places.

So basically quite complicated :D

Ok having looked at my save its a little more complicated and I'm not 100% convinced it highlights right.

Relegation - One team is relegated which is the team finishing last UNLESS it is a "B" team of an Eredivisie team in which case the next "Normal" team above gets relegated. I don't know why three teams are highlighted in red (Maybe a display bug carried over from when there were relegation playoffs?)

Promotion - Each period is 7 games and the winner of each period gets a playoff place. But four periods of 7 games only equals 28 games whereas a full season is 38 games??? Other playoff places go to teams highest in the league who didn't get a place through the periods. "B" Teams can't be promoted so don't get playoff places.

So basically quite complicated :D

There is normally three relegation 'red' places until it is mathematically impossible for a B team to catch a side in the 'red' position. In the three seasons i had in that division by April the 'red' positions are down to one or two because a B side or two are rooted to the bottom.

Archived