What factors into a player drawing cards?

Are there particular ratings or skills for a player that would make them more likely to draw Yellow or Reds in a match?

I'm in my second year with my current club and if we don't get at least three yellows a game then I assume it's a miracle. I did have a "hard tackle-always" shout on for my defenders on the other teams striker but took that off when I saw yellows, double yellows and straight reds start to pile up. I've had three straight games (this is the following season by the way) with double yellows. This one saw one send off and five other yellows.

Not sure if it's something in the players I have or something else.

If your players have high aggression then they are more likely to get cards. Also, if players with bad tackling make sliding tackles and misjudge them they will get cards. Arguing with officials also doesn't help discipline.

Your strategy is important, too. If you play with a high defensive line and have slow or bad defenders, they will need to make last man fouls, this means more cards.

I play a very aggressive style and for a long time my full-backs were collecting yellow cards at a rate of more than 80% over multiple seasons.

In my case it was TI's being used, (hassle opponents, get stuck in, and use tighter marking), combined with aggressive OI's. Add in that I was working my full-backs especially hard in terms of up and back and they were often out of position and/or tired. I also think that it was harder with a poorer level of player at my disposal. As the player quality improved, so did their ability to carry out the instructions, (although removal of get stuck in was a biggy).

What I do to alleviate the issue that the instructions cause, is simply sub players who have been booked, or use personal team-talks to help control them., (at least for a bit).

OK, what are TI and OI?

My typical set is Retain Possession and pass into space; Play wider, roam out of position. For defending I too use hassle and use tighter marking. I don't use Get stuck in or trap; I will add Stay of Feet sometimes.

OK, what are TI and OI?

Team Instructions and Opposition Instructions in the tactics screens

My typical set is Retain Possession and pass into space; Play wider, roam out of position. For defending I too use hassle and use tighter marking. I don't use Get stuck in or trap; I will add Stay of Feet sometimes.

hassle and tighter marking will result in more fouls. I'm thinking "Stay on feet" would possibly reduce fouls, since you're not slide-tackling into the opponent and it's less of a "take-down" maneuver (of course, if your tackling rating's carp it might not help).

Archived