How do you break a domineering side?

Okay, so, I moved to Aston Villa in the 2029-30 season, and by all accounts did very well, at 2 (John Terry led them to third 3 years ago before he left to go win the Bundesliga with Leverkusen). Of course, I was never even close to knocking off Man City. They've won the league 7 years in a row, and it's super aggrevating.

I now have to strength my squad with depth (I wasn't in the champions league because the year after Terry left they got 12th) but figure out how to knock them off. I'm not looking for detailed strategies here, maybe just how you dealt with my situation.

edit; and oh god I realized I said dominateering. I started to write dominating, and then I decided to change to Domineering D:

How are City doing? How are you doing?

Usually, you should be winning the league by some margin if you post around 5-6 defeats roughly, in my experience anyway. Though it's hard to give strategies as it really does depend on what happens in the season. I usually always work towards being unbeaten at home and getting scrappy wins away. You could always try and get City to be complacent by mocking them in the press I suppose.

City got a Quadruple this season actually (League title, Capital one cup, FA cup, and the super cup, only losing in the semis of the champions league to the eventual winners Hoffenheim)

I got 76, they got 84, though we both posted the same amount of losses (6) they got more wins vs. draws... and I'm pretty sure 2 of their losses came from after they officially won the league anyway. It's hard, though, because they always have 2-3 games in hand due to their champions league and other cups. A lot of it was the last 10 games though... we were much less potent than they were. Ties vs. United and Chelsea (who finished 11th and 12th, respectively) and losses away at Newcastle and friggin West Ham doomed me.

It might be that you need stronger players. When I needed to get past the ol' Super Arsenal and co., I realised their players generally had higher Jumping, Pace, Strength than mine. Once I bought players that, as well as actually being any good, had 18+ in two or three of these attributes, I overtook Arsenal.

I had the same issue with Real Madrid/Barcelona. Between them they dominated La Liga for 6 years while I was at Valencia. The problem was they were getting 90+ points a season, Real Madrid went on a run of 3 years in a row and lost 2 games in the league.

I just built my team smartly. Signed young players with 4-5 star potential. Now those guys are hitting their 20s and we are starting to dominate the league instead. The key was when I sorted out my defence with 2 ridiculously talented centre backs last season and only conceded 15 goals in the league.

I've built my tactics to my team's strengths. They are the fastest, strongest and most technically proficient in the league right now. We also have the best attack in the league in about 4 of the categories.

I still haven't managed to crack Europe though. Bayern/Real and Barca take it in turns to win the CL. I've lost in the semi final 2 years out of 4 and lost in the final in a 3rd - Bayern, Real and Barca always manage to find a way to beat me.

Archived