How to get my wingers to cross the ball more often?

Is there a way I can get my wingers to cross the ball more often rather than running with the ball, cutting inside, then shooting and normally missing. It is extremely frustrating and I haven't had this problem before on previous FM's.

If any of you know how I can solve this problem then it will be much appreciated :thup:

Lower their rwb to rarely and up their crossing to often. Maybe you can also lower their CF so they don't try to do too much fancy stuff when they have the ball.

Thanks, I'll try that for my next game and will also lower long shots to rarely

Dominated the game with 15 shots to their 2 but lost 1-0 :(.

Shooting on this FM is atrocious in my opinion!

Any ways, back to the point. I will have to play a few more games to see if the players start crossing it

Dominated the game with 15 shots to their 2 but lost 1-0 :(.

Shooting on this FM is atrocious in my opinion!

Any ways, back to the point. I will have to play a few more games to see if the players start crossing it

Either you have a shout/sideline instruction saying to shoot at sight, or you allow long shots to a lot of player.

If you have them set as attacking wingers, but they're still cutting inside all the time, they're probably being shown on to their weaker foot by the opposition. Changing instructions won't necessarily stop that from happening.

You also need to consider where you want your wingers to cross from. If they're set to run with ball rarely and cross often, but cross from is set to byline, they still won't cross because they'll never get to the byline.

Setting them to cross from mixed or deep could help get more crosses in, but those type of crosses won't be effective unless you have a big physical presence in the box. If you do have a target man to aim at, I'd recommend the "hit early crosses" shout rather than messing with the sliders.

If you have them set as attacking wingers, but they're still cutting inside all the time, they're probably being shown on to their weaker foot by the opposition. Changing instructions won't necessarily stop that from happening.

You also need to consider where you want your wingers to cross from. If they're set to run with ball rarely and cross often, but cross from is set to byline, they still won't cross because they'll never get to the byline.

Setting them to cross from mixed or deep could help get more crosses in, but those type of crosses won't be effective unless you have a big physical presence in the box. If you do have a target man to aim at, I'd recommend the "hit early crosses" shout rather than messing with the sliders.

I'll have a look at my tactics and try this out. Thanks

I'm currently bombarding the box with all kinds of crosses from all over the pitch in my save, as I do happen to have that superior physical presence required for this to be any useful in the box very much - I bought almost all of my attacking players with that kind of play in mind. Almost half of my team's assists are coming from crosses, about as many goals are scored from headers, and we're one of the most frequent scoring teams in the league. This is pretty much brute force though and only works this well because my players up front are physically superior to their opposition pretty much each game. There isn't much needed for this, the "put in early crosses" shout coupled with "play wider" is pretty much enough. And this is FM 2012, in which big strong target men kind of players aren't as powerful as in FM 2013 at all. I guess going similar routines in FM 2013 could prove devastating, in the lower tiers anyway.

Without that significant advantage in sheer physicality, I'd be concerned with considering the space in which the wingers find themselves to actually make a good cross viable. If they are on support duty (RFD mixed for slider tweakers), putting the fullbacks on attack (RFD often, same) encourages them to overlap, which naturally can make for lots of good space and crossing opportunity. In general, having good crossers on the flanks and encouraging to interlink with FBs/WBs is arguably much much more important and fruitful than simply tweaking a winger's crossing sliders to "often". If you want to exploit the flanks and get good crosses in, you need to consider your setup, movement and shape. After all, even when encouraged to cross often, a player will need that space to pull it off. And the targets to aim for.

Archived