(FM11) An underdog story: from tiny minnows to the Champions League

withnail316

Evening all

I've finally ran out of patience with FM13, sadly. Since I bought the game I'd had one real career (here if you fancy a look) which I currently can't play thanks to a crash dump. I attempted to start another one in Scandanavia, which I've also just lost to an error. Highly frustrating, so as a result I'm heading back to that main staple of my FM diet which is FM11. I'm getting withdrawal symptoms from not having a career to update, so I thought I'd start another thread. Hope you don't mind me going back in time!

One of my favourite FM11 careers was in Wales, so I'm going to see if I can build a side to challenge the big clubs in Europe again, only this time I won't leave after a decade. Inspiration for my first Welsh career came from this thread from JackJCFC, and if I can manage even a quarter of his success I'll have done well.

The last time I played in Wales things got a little bit silly though as I signed an Italian striker who was far too good for the club and he scored 105 goals in 40 games. That was just my third season, so I'm going to try and be a little bit more realistic with my signings this time (ie not expanding my scouting network until my side is much more established, and ensuring I have a British core to my side as much as possible.) I'd also like to achieve an ambition of having youth teamers from my club represent the national team at some point, which would be a first for me on FM11!)

Anyway, the details:

FM11.3 (original database, no edits)

Leagues loaded from England (BSS/N & above) France (National & above) Italy (Serie C2 & above) Scotland (Third Division & above) Ireland (First Division & above) Northern Ireland (Second Division & above) and Wales

38,000 players and a large database.

Right then, on we go... I'm sure a couple of you already know which club I'm going to be....

haverfordwestcountyfc.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Haverfordwest County AFC

(With thanks to Wiki)

The club was founded in 1899 and was variously known as Haverfordwest FC, Haverfordwest Town, and Haverfordwest Athletic before adopting the current name, and plays at the Bridge Meadow Stadium, Haverfordwest, which accommodates 2,000 spectators. The teams' first choice strip is blue shirts, shorts, and socks. The second choice strip is orange & black shirts, black shorts, orange socks.

Haverfordwest County were founder members of the League of Wales in 1992–93 but their stay was brief. Having accepted an offer which involved the redevelopment of their Bridge Meadow ground, and unable to find a suitable alternative ground of League of Wales standard, they resigned from the League in 1994. The decision to take a long-term view was fully vindicated by their return to the League of Wales three years later. The league has since changed its name to the Welsh Premier League.

Honours

The club have never won any real trophies of note, their best ever finish in the Welsh Premier League was third in 2003/04. A year later they made the semi final of the Welsh Cup.

From FM

Haverfordwest have fierce rivalries with Carmarthen and Aberystwyth, and additional rivalries with Port Talbot and Llanelli. The club has a valuation of £130,000 and 50 season ticket holders.

Here's the club's modest little home, a ground which I visited a few years ago. Hopefully the board will be kind enough to upgrade it as the years go on!

bridgemeadow.jpg

The manager

After a lowly Sunday League career, 30 year old Michael Albertini is itching to achieve the success in management he missed out on as a player. The former midfielder is Italian by birth and follows Perugia, but his playing career was spent in England.

haverfordwestcountyfc.png

Here's my opening budget then for my first campaign:

startofseason.png

Media expectation: 12th (of 12)

It's not a lot, but I know there is a lot of deadwood at the club. If I can ship some of that out I can build a side that can challenge for the European places. However, even with what I have I'm confident I can make the top half, hence my decision on budget. My first job was to put a couple of adverts in the job centre for a scout and a fitness coach, and I'm quite happy with the two candidates I picked. Both are far better than the other members of my backroom staff, but I cannot afford to replace any more. Not to worry.

I also had quite a few over-paid players who I tried desperately to ship out. Our top earner was on £400p/w, which is about 15% of my weekly budget. We also had other players on £200p/w +, so I had to do everything I could to ship them out. Luckily, I was able to ship two out after an argument about their place in my squad (both demanded transfers) and a few clubs were interested in others, so I could considerably cut my wage bill.

I'd fancy a quid on this...

oddsfirstyr.png

Six weeks into my job then and I've been very busy in the transfer market. Here's my immediate list, and on my next post I'll show individual screens of the new players.

transfersinu.png

Players Out

Top earner Lee Jarman was the first out the door. I told him I wanted him to leave, but his angry reaction ensured I dropped him to the reserves, and just after he demanded a contract termination. Happy days. Mark Dodds and Danny Thomas were also big earners, so my top wage is now down from £400p/w to £150p/w. Pleased with that.

Players In

Phil Imray When I arrived at the club, my assistant immediately told me to strengthen in goal. Luckily, Phil Imray was his first recommendation.

David Cowan A fine right back, Cowan could yet find himself as club captain when the season starts.

Laurence Gaughan Not brilliant, but far better than what I had available. Despite signing a 5 year deal, I'd expect Gaughan to be around for a year or two.

Ben Whelehan An excellent central defender. Should be good for another three years at this level.

Danny Murphy The best player at the club, I'd expect interest in Murphy within 6 months of the season starting.

James Ashmore I'm quite light in midfield, but Ashmore will probably be the best we have this campaign.

Vinny Perth A short term signing, Vinny Perth adds much needed experience in the middle of the park.

Tim Hopkinson The young striker will share the target man role with club legend Jack Christopher. I'd expect Hopkinson to play the majority though.

Joseph Lapira Can't believe I got Lapira. He turned down Swindon, Dunfermline, Falkirk and Northampton to join us. Expecting a lot of him.

Yeah, I do like being at Haverfordwest I must admit. However, FM13 is teasing me again as I might just have rescued my Eastern Europe career. Even if I haven't, 13 seems to be working again after a full re-install. Hmm.

Archived