Junior Coaching: Good junior coaching

Youth Recruitment: Extensive youth recruitment[/TD]

[TD]

Board's Expectations

Swiss Super League: Challenge for the Title

Swiss Cup: Reach the Final

Champions League: Reach the Group Stage

Transfer Budget: €2.86M

Wage Budget: €714K/month (currently €651K/month)

Balance: €6.8M

[/TD]

[TD]wqoeja.jpg[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Introduction.

Fussball Club Basel 1893, widely known as FC Basel, is a Swiss football club based in Basel. They are one of the most successful clubs in Swiss football, having won the Swiss Super League 15 times, the third most for any Swiss club. They were most successful in the late 1960s and 1970s, winning the title a total of seven times between 1967 and 1980. The 1980s saw hard times for Basel as they had an absence from European competition for many years and they were relegated in 1987. In the 2000s Basel returned to the top of Swiss football; winning their first title for 22 years in 2002 and won a further six titles in the years 2004, 2005, 2008, 2010, 2011, and 2012. FC Basel have also won the Swiss Cup 11 times.

They have competed in European competition every season since 1999–2000. In the 2001–02 season, the club reached the UEFA Intertoto Cup final, losing to Aston Villa; in the 2002–03 season they qualified for the Second Group Stage of the UEFA Champions League; and in the 2005–06 season, they reached the quarter-finals of the UEFA Cup. They have been in the Champions League more times than any other Swiss club — a total of four times — and are the only Swiss club to have ever qualified directly for the Champions League group stages.

In the 2011–12 season, FC Basel did what was thought impossible. After a 1-1 away draw against S.L. Benfica, FC Basel tied away 3-3 and then won at home 2-1 against Manchester United, which saw them progress to the knockout phase. Here they failed against Bayern Munich on aggregate despite a 1-0 home win.

Why Basel?

With already excellent facilities that can be without any difficulties improved, great financial stability, and a very talented squad, FC Basel present, in my opinion, all the attributes to become an european giant. This 2012/2013 season is a transition one for this club after the departures of Shaqiri (Bayern München), Xhaka ('Gladbach), Abraham (Getafe) and the retirement of club's icons like Chipperfield and Huggel. This is why the board's expectations are not to win everything at national level. Therefore, you have plenty of room for change and can experiment without the fear of sacking. Achieving the expectations shouldn't be hard knowing that only Young Boys Bern, Zürich, and maybe Sion can challenge you for the title. To know more about what you can achieve during the first season with this club, I suggest you to read carefully my first season's report, you'll be surprised.

One last thing: It's my first team guide and English is not my native language so I may have forgotten important points and/or some things may not be clearly explained. Feel free to ask anything, I'll gladly answer.

292wk1t.jpg

Squad Analysis

Goalkeepers.

|

As long as you can keep Yann Sommer at the club, you won't have the need to sign a new goalkeeper. Not only he's already good enough to play at higher level, but he also has room for improvment and do it quickly. Simply put, he can become one of the best goalkeepers in the game. The #2, Germano Vailati, is good enough for league and cup games, but keep an eye on Roman Bürki (Young Boys, on loan at Grasshopper), whose contract ends at the end of the season.

First XI:
Yann Sommer

Transfer Targets:
-

Recommended Sale:
-

Defenders.

|
|
|
|
|
|

You might already know Aleksandar Dragovic. Young and very talented, he's your key player in this department. To play alongside him, the talented Gaston Sauro might be a bit short for european games. I suggest you to sign - first on loan, then on a free - Alexander Madlung, who's transfer listed at the start of the game. On the right side, your best choice is Markus Steinhöfer. However, the german is more of a midfielder than a defender, so if you don't like to play with attacking wing backs, you might want to bring in someone else. Finally, on the left side you have two almost similar players, Park Joo-Ho and Kay Voser, so it's up to you who you choose as a starter. You might choose the korean over the swiss, Voser being a bit injury prone.

Key Player:
Aleksandar Dragovic

First XI:
Markus Steinhöfer (DR), Park Joo-Ho (DL), Aleksandar Dragovic (DC), Gaston Sauro (DC)

Transfer Targets:
Alexander Madlung (DC, GER, Wolfsburg), Michel Morganella (DR, SWI, Palermo), Stefan Bell (DC, GER, Mainz)

Recommended Sale:
Radoslav Kovac (too old), Philipp Degen (high risk of injuries)

Midfielders.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

Overall, this is the area where you'll have to make difficult choices. On the right side, you have three players more or less equally gifted: Fabian Frei, David Degen and Mohamed Salah. The first one is able to play at every position of the midfield so he's very precious in the squad. In addition, he does progress well. The second is more of a rotation player while the third has a lot of potential but might need some time to fully adapt to Switzerland. On the left side, you won't need to bring anyone, Valentin Stocker is your guy. At the center, the newly signed Marcelo Diaz will most probably be your key player. Alongside him, in a more defensive duty, Gilles Yapi Yapo can do the job for 1-2 seasons. This is why you should give Cabral some playing time, he has what it takes to take Yapi Yapo's place. You'll need a fourth central midfielder for the long season awaiting you.

Key Players:
Marcelo Diaz and Valentin Stocker

First XI:
Fabian Frei (MR), Valentin Stocker (ML), Marcelo Diaz (MC), Gilles Yapi Yapo (MC)

Recommended Signing:
Leon Goretzka (MC, GER, Bochum), Amir Abrashi (MC, SWI, Grasshopper), Alain Wiss (MC, SWI, Luzern), Steven Zuber (ML, SWI, Grasshopper), Izet Hajrovic (MLC, SWI, Grasshopper)

Recommended Sale:
Pascal Schürpf (not good enough)

Forwards.

|
|

Alexander Frei and Marco Streller: Those two have led the Swiss national team's attack for years and are really good friends IRL. They play very nice together, Frei being a pure poacher and Streller being more of an target man. You won't need to make any change here for the next two seasons: you have a deadly duo. Unfortunately, Frei is 33, Streller is 31 so sooner or later you'll have to bring in some fresh blood. As a backup, Jacques Zoua can do the job. He might also become a very interesting player since he's young and has potential.

One last thing: I suggest you - if you plan to play with Basel - to start your new save before the next FM update: Frei has announced recently that he'll retire at the end of the season.

Key Player:
Alexander Frei

First XI:
Alexander Frei, Marco Streller

Recommended Signing:
Sven Schipplock (ST, GER, Hoffenheim), Haris Seferovic (ST, SWI, Fiorentina), Deni Alar (ST, AUT, Rapid Wien), Marcel Sabitzer (ST, AUT, Admira Wacker), Adili Endogan (ST, SWI, Grasshopper)

Recommended Sale:
-

Youngsters & Others.

|
|
|
|

A high number of players are in the U21 and U18 squads and most of them have randomly generated potential abilities, so you should take the time to check each and everyone of them with your staff's reports to know exactly if they have what it takes to stay. They'll probably have the potential to become good Swiss Super League players, but that might not be enough and you shouldn't hesitate to sell. The players listed above are, in my save, the only ones that might have a future in the club.

Fabian Schär is not ready yet for the first team and a loan might help him to reach an acceptable level. Simon Grether is a very versatile player and should be kept as a good backup. Taulant Xhaka and Stephan Andrist are on loan during the first season but are really good rotation options for the second season. Finally, the 16 years old Deni Kadoic is highly regarded in the game and with a bit of luck, he might have the potential to become your key central midfielder in the future.

2cnwh1e.jpg

What you can achieve: 2012/2013 Season Review

Transfers.

When I'm playing, I like to give myself some challenges. In this save, I chose to bring in only players coming from the following countries: Switzerland, Germany, Austria and Liechtenstein. As for the players already in the team who aren't from these countries, if I can sell them, they'll go. This is why I sold Park Hoo-Jo, Jacques Zoua and Radoslav Kovac. I also sold Markus Steinhöfer, his contract was ending and he was asking too much compared to his performances to stay.

To replace him, I've signed in january Michel Morganella from Palermo. As suggested in post #2, I've grabbed Alexander Madlung from Wolfsburg on loan (and he'll joining us definitively at the end of his contract), Leon Goretzka on loan with an agreed price of €2.8M (I've negociated and finally signed him for €1.7M), Deni Alar from Rapid Wien and Sven Schipplock from Hoffenheim in order to have more options for the forwards positions.

Swiss Super League and Cup.

No one to stopped us. That's it. Just one thing: Do not expect recieving good prize money. For wining the league, we just got €300K..

As for the Swiss Cup, we got kicked out by Zürich in the Third Round after penalty shootout.

Champions League.

|

FC Basel is seeded in the Champions' Second Qualifying Round, so there is 3 rounds to go through before seeing the light of the Group Stage. We're a lucky in the draw and it wasn't difficult for us to qualify. As for the Group Stage, we should have finished second. Loosing 5 points against Galatasaray cost us the qualification. However, it is still a good achievement for a team like Basel, and it was worth it because of what came next in Europa League..

Europa League.

|

Yes, absolutely! No Photoshopping here, we had an incredible run in this competition concluded with an stunning performance in the final against german giants, Bayern München. We were close to getting kicked out by Rubin Kazan but, after that, it was a highway to the final. And there, we had a great start, taking a 0-2 lead after 30 minutes and even though the FC Hollywood found a way to come back, Sven Schipplock killed it on counterattacks. The fact that Ribéry and Schweinsteiger were not available due to suspensions definitely helped us achieving this historic result.

Squad Analysis.
2laat7t.jpg

This is self-explanatory. The only players that haven't really delivered are Kay Voser and Gilles Yapi Yapo. During the season, I also had to deal with a lot of injuries: Voser (3x3 weeks, 1x5 weeks), Stocker (2 months), Salah (7, 4 and 2 weeks), Alexander Frei (2 months, 4 weeks), etc.. I suggest you to keep Park Hoo-Jo or bring in a left defender because Voser won't be able to keep up a whole season. Surprisingly, Phillipp Degen, very injury prone, has been fit the whole season.

3346w4m.jpg

Here is what you can expect from your youth intakes. Griesser is already an important backup player in my squad and is highly regarded by my staff.

Nice thread, but David Griesser is a regen so he won't be on everyones saves. Hopefully the rest of the youth system for people turns out like that.

Thank you.

Concerning Griesser, I know. It was just to illustrate what this club's facilities can produce.

After reading your thread last week it inspired meto give Basel a go. And im really enjoying it at the moment. I won the league first season, and the cup and also the Europa Cup, i bought and sold quite a few players (Even sold both Frei's) during the first window and bought KOZAK (Lazio) and Wellington Nem who were both quality. I couldn't resist selling Nem in the January window as i made a tidy profit (Cost 3.5m / Sold 10.0m) and brought in Claudimor for Kobenhaven (Now my fav player on the game). Bank balance was good at the end of the season £30.00 million + in the bank. I was given a £14 million warchest for season 2 which i plan to start tonight, and have bought Hernandez from Man Unt for 9.00million which im hoping will turn out to be a shrewd buy (Also picked up Kolo Toure on a free).

@Chr1s Lawson

Exactly.

Sommer and Stocker, even though they already are 23, do progress quite a lot and have the ability to play in any team in the world. The same goes for Dragovic.

@Baracuda22

Wow, congrats on the treble! This is not an easy achievement so really, congratulations! You have made some really nice signing also!

How's your 2nd season going?

Personnally, my fav player IG is Schipplock. This guy is just a beast.

Good thread, i've got Standard and FC United saves on the go at the minute but could be tempted by this at some point, though I usually go for Grasshoppers or FC Zurich if I do a swiss save.

I, too, go usually for Grasshoppers. They have amazing facilities and, in FM12, it wasn't too hard to get them on top of Europe with such talents as Hajrovic, Zuber and Endogan. Keep us posted if you start a save with Basel. :)

Oh, one last thing: If you start after the next transfer update, Alexander Frei will retire at the end of the season, but you will have Raul Bobadilla (Young Boys, has been very impressive IRL this season in Europa League), Endogan and defensive midfielder Serey Dié from Sion in your squad.

I chose to put my Basel save on hold for a while, I'm seeking a more challenging one for the moment. In my second season, I've been able to defeat Real Madrid and Juventus at the Group Stage of the Champion's League and get rid of Manchester United in the first knockout round without major signings so it feels too easy to me for the moment. But I'll still be arround, following your progress. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Serey Dié (CM, Sion), Mohamed El Neny (CM, on loan from Arab Contractors with agreed price of €800K), the very talented Adili Endogan (ST, Grasshoppers) and Raul Bobadilla (ST, Young Boys) have joined the club.

Radoslav Kovac and some unimportant youngsters are gone.

Alexander Frei retires the 30.06.2012 and that's a mistake from SI since he's retiring, but only the 30.06.2013.

CA/PA wise, it seems to me that Marcelo Diaz has lost more or less 10 points on both, while Alexander Frei has lost almost 20 points. On a more positive note, the defender Fabian Schär has a huge bump in CA/PA and becomes a very interesting prospect for the future.

As for other players based in Switzerland, Josef Martinez (ST, Young Boys) might become an excellent player so keep an eye on him.

Serey Dié (CM, Sion), Mohamed El Neny (CM, on loan from Arab Contractors with agreed price of €800K), the very talented Adili Endogan (ST, Grasshoppers) and Raul Bobadilla (ST, Young Boys) have joined the club.

Radoslav Kovac and some unimportant youngsters are gone.

Alexander Frei retires the 30.06.2012 and that's a mistake from SI since he's retiring, but only the 30.06.2013.

CA/PA wise, it seems to me that Marcelo Diaz has lost more or less 10 points on both, while Alexander Frei has lost almost 20 points. On a more positive note, the defender Fabian Schär has a huge bump in CA/PA and becomes a very interesting prospect for the future.

As for other players based in Switzerland, Josef Martinez (ST, Young Boys) might become an excellent player so keep an eye on him.

Thanks for the info :thup: I will soon start my Basel save. How your save is going? Give us some updates!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.

I don't play anymore and don't think I will with Basel because I've an amazing youth only save with Vaduz currently.

- I played in a flat 442 too (and that's how they play also IRL), with a very fluid style and an attacking strategy. I've left everything at default except the creative freedom (more disciplined) and the width is narrow.

GK: Goalkeeper, Defend

DR + DL: Wing Backs, Attack

DC: Central Defenders, Defend

MR + ML: Wingers, Attack

MCL: Deep Lying Playmaker, Defend

MCR: Advanced Playmaker, Support

STCR: Advanced Forward, Attack

STCL: Deep Lying Forward, Support

You might want to change the role of the MCL to Ball Winning, Defend. You may also want to do the following: if your supporting CM is playing on the right side like mine did, you may change the duties of the DR and MR from attack to support also, so that you have more balance in case of counterattacks from the opposition.

- Fabian Frei beautifully played for me as a right winger (+30 assists in two seasons). Do not take into account if a player is natural or accomplished in a position. Just look at the attributes and the roles you want to give him on the field.

Did you sign/sold any players?

Hi.

I don't play anymore and don't think I will with Basel because I've an amazing youth only save with Vaduz currently.

- I played in a flat 442 too (and that's how they play also IRL), with a very fluid style and an attacking strategy. I've left everything at default except the creative freedom (more disciplined) and the width is narrow.

GK: Goalkeeper, Defend

DR + DL: Wing Backs, Attack

DC: Central Defenders, Defend

MR + ML: Wingers, Attack

MCL: Deep Lying Playmaker, Defend

MCR: Advanced Playmaker, Support

STCR: Advanced Forward, Attack

STCL: Deep Lying Forward, Support

You might want to change the role of the MCL to Ball Winning, Defend. You may also want to do the following: if your supporting CM is playing on the right side like mine did, you may change the duties of the DR and MR from attack to support also, so that you have more balance in case of counterattacks from the opposition.

- Fabian Frei beautifully played for me as a right winger (+30 assists in two seasons). Do not take into account if a player is natural or accomplished in a position. Just look at the attributes and the roles you want to give him on the field.

Did you sign/sold any players?

I working on my own tactic now. 4-2-2-2 with wingers. I want players to play in their natural positions. If they play 442 flat IRL then why natural position for every winger is AML or AMR? So annoying.

I bought another AMC because I play 4-3-3 in away games. (Mourinho style 04-06).

424 should also work, Stocker being able to play AML.

To answer your last question, well it's simple: the profile of a player is not made from scratch every year. It's a revamped version of the precedent version of the game. So, for example, I will take the case of Fabian Frei, who spent his first full season on loan at Sankt-Gallen 2-3 years ago. He was playing there as an AMC and had a lot of success. And that's why is a natural and is "best" position is AMC.

You can also take into account that clubs change managers, who each have different tactical understandings.. Basel has had something like four different managers in five/six years..

Anyway, who did you sign/sell?

If you're starting as Basel on the latest patch, make sure your game start date is July 2012+. If you pick the default Swiss starting date, A Frei retires within a week :(.

I decided to continue my game anyway. Signed Goodwillie on loan from Blackburn and he's tearing it up with Streller early on.

If you're starting as Basel on the latest patch, make sure your game start date is July 2012+. If you pick the default Swiss starting date, A Frei retires within a week :(.

I decided to continue my game anyway. Signed Goodwillie on loan from Blackburn and he's tearing it up with Streller early on.

You can fix A Frei retiremet date with editor.

Mohamed Salah in fantastic inside forward!

A name to remember for the next FM, I'm sure he will get a huge rise in CA and PA since he's been amazing this season IRL.

How's your save going?

A name to remember for the next FM, I'm sure he will get a huge rise in CA and PA since he's been amazing this season IRL.

How's your save going?

I got in CL group stage which was nice. :thup: I'm 1st in Super League. 13 games played, still first season. Had those tactic problems but I think my 4-2-4 working now.

I watched Tottenham - Basel game thursday. Salah and Stocker played really well. I hope Salah PA will be better in FM14.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Congrats!

Have you been able to achieve anything in Europe? Financially, I guess you're pretty secure, aren't you? Maybe you can give us a little update about your performances and transfers?

• 2 weeks later...

It is July 2015 in my save now. So I have played three seasons.

I have won three Super League titles and two Swiss Cups. There havent been any great success in europe but I have been in Champions League group stage all three seasons.

Club finances are secure. I use my money to improving facilities. I have done so every season and it takes millions!

Season four is just starting and i managed to sign Kolo Toure and Peter Crouch! :)

• 8 months later...

Archived