1970 DB - Help needed

stewpot01

I am creating a DB from the 1970 season which will include all the teams and players in the FL that season.

I am missing squads from the following clubs:

Bradford City

Darlington

Oldham Athletic

Scunthorpe United

Shrewsbury Town

Southport

Stockport County

Swansea

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I aim to finish building this around Xmas and hopefully make it available by then.

There will be as many player pictures as I can collect, or have, included. Managers, coaches and chairmen/directors will also be included .

Not a single foreign owner or player in sight.

Once again, thanks for any help you can give.

Stuart.

Hi, this sounds brilliant. I love it. I was creating the 1973-74 but why bother if you're doing this?

I'll research the squads for you later on. A few other things you may be interested in.

I presume this would be based on the 1969/70 season? If so:

Leeds' highest attendace that season was 48775. We averaged around 42,000ish, crowds would hit the 48,000 mark, and worst case scenario there'd be around 38,000 there.

Our top scorer that season was Allan Clarke and Mick Jones, both with 26 goals. Peter Lorimer was second with 20 and central midfield John Giles was third with 18 goals yet most of these were penalties.

Lorimer used to take the free kicks. Giles took the penalties, otherwise it'd be Lorimer or if Loro was injured, Clarke. Don Revie would be the best manager on the game. He won the manager of the year in 1969, 1970 and 1972. He was also awarded an OBE in 1970. Billy Bremner also won the player of the season in 1970.

Eddie Gray was quite prone to injuries. Bremner used to have a fairly fiery temper, as did Giles, Hunter, Charlton and Reaney. Also Huddersfield's Trevor Cherry turned out to be a very good player. He was snapped up by Leeds in 1972, he played for England a few times too.

Chelsea and Leeds had a fierce rivalry both ways. Note the 1967 FA Cup semi final and 1970 FA Cup Final replay! Leeds and Liverpool were fierce rivals too. In actual fact Leeds and Liverpool was the game of the season. Revie, Busby and Shankly all had mutual respect for each other. Revie and Bremner would both have favoured personel with each other. All of the Leeds team baring Gary Sprake. Gary Sprake tended to bottle the big occasions.

Liverpool were going through a transitional stage, Everton won the league by a far way. Leeds were concentrating on the treble, the FA Cup, The First Division and the European Cup. We got to the semi final of the European Cup, the final of the FA Cup and finished 2nd in the league. We fell away at the end of the season due to burn out.

Also, have you done Leeds yet?

Hi Guys.

First of all to Soccer Superstar, thanks for the links, I shall check on those later today.

DonRevieTheBoss,

glad you like the idea. It probably gives you a rough idea of my age too, god, should I still be playing this game at ** yrs old, LOL.

I am going to base it on the 1970-71 season, as that is the year I have the majority of the squads from.

What I would like to know is this, do people want me to put the clubs in the divisions they were in then, with the obvious one ore two tweaks on numbers, or what they are in now?

Personally, I like the idea of having the Leeds/Man U rivalry back, sorry, but I am a loyal red, but that doesn't mean I hate Leeds, I hold up my hands when I say that I was at Elland Road in 1971-72 and you thrashed us 5-1, and did not begrudge them their win, the performance was magical that day.

The whole idea does really appeal to me, and hopefully it will work, I have had one or two probs with uploading the photos for Man Utd, ggrrr!, but as I am awaiting to hear what people want on the divisions I am creating them in alphabetical order, so Leeds are some way off yet.

If I did go by the year then Blackpool and Burnley would stay in the Championship and the PL would be as follows: Arsenal, Chelsea, Coventry City, Crystal Palace, Derby County, Everton, Huddersfield T,

Ipswich Town, Leeds United, Liverpool,Man City, Man United, Newcastle United, Nottingham Forest, Southampton, Stoke City,Tottenham H, West Brom, West Ham & Wolves.

Yes, of course Leeds should be back in the First Division! And yes, have the teams that were in the division then.

1971 season. The year we were robbed of the title.

Oh yes, Feb 1972. I too was at that game, I remember it very well, it was my 15th birthday! What others don't realise is the fact it was 0-0 at half time! Loved the way we took the michael out of you with the passes at the end, showing our far superiority to any club in the land, this was a top vs 2nd in the league contest too. Think this was the season George Best really went AWOL.. Shame, what a talent he was. Unfortunately for you, you met Leeds in the best form of our history. In those two months we'd beaten Southampton 7-0, You 5-1, Forest 6-1, Arsenal 3-0.

I think this is THE best idea on the forum, I, myself was born in 1957, so I remember being a spotty teenager in school going down to Elland Road every Saturday afternoon, then running home for my dinner and then settle down, watch MOTD in the evening. Great times. Kids don't know what they've missed out on.

Also, how much have you done at the moment? Just out of general interest.

No problem. I have just put the teams into their respective divisions of the day, with Leeds back in the big time. I did want to rename the divisions too, 1,2,3,4, but despite doing so in the editor, the game still shows Div 1 as 'Barclay's Premier League', ggrrr!

I don't remember Leeds taking the Michael out of us that day, but I do have the MOTD DVD with Leeds doing it to Southampton. Yes, I have to agree, Leeds where robbed. They should NEVER have been forced to play Wolves on the Monday after beating Arsenal, unless it was at full strength. Imagine the uproar if that happened today, then again, squads are so big, it probably would not make much difference.

I was born in 1959, so not much difference, I think fans of our generation saw some great football, with real characters and true heroes who loved playing above the paycheque. Yes, you are right, the kids today have no idea what they missed.

On the game situation, I have just about to start installing the 1st division players. What I did originally was to use a blank database and recreate ALL the clubs, first and foremost to ba able to reproduce the kits, Leeds - All white (H), Blue shirts, White Shorts(A), Man Utd - Red w White collar(H) - All White(A). You know kits that don't look like avertising hoardings.

I suspect the CP fans may like seeing the Claret with thin blue stripes and the yellow collar, it brings back good memories.

The old stadiums are also in there, luckily, one ore two are still in the editor (Highbury, Maine Road - I just uncheck the 'extinct' box in the editor page and 'voila'). I found a page on the web, dedicated to old stadiums, pitch size, capacity and so on. So Derby, Huddersfield, Southampton and Coventry have their old grounds back, I will get around to the other stadiums as I create the respective divisions.

I did say no foreign players, oops, there was Carlo Sartori at Utd, born in Italy and raised here, he was a good prospect, but faded and went back to Italy, now he's back here (he was a pro knife-sharpener last I read - to hotels and the like), and of course Colin Viljoen of Ipswich - South Africa - slap my hands, my mistake.

The other thing I intend doing is also recreating the officials of the day, Jack Taylor, Clive 'The Book' Thomas and Ray Tinkler (sorry -another robbery IMO - as an ex ref myself it makes me cringe to watch that incident again), among others.

So, it may take a couple of weeks longer than I anticipated, but I am sure it will be worth It. I just may go the extra mile and put one or two of the great world players in there too, poss the whole Ajax side for starters, I just don't want to start and get carried away with the teams and players as we will be collecting our pensions before we even start playing, LOL.

Because it is something I want to do, simple as that. I assume you did not grow up watching that particular era, otherwise there would be no need to ask the question.

Comments like this make me feel like I am wasting my time, maybe I will just create it for myself, if others don't see the point.

My answer to him would be simple: Nostalgia is a powerful thing.

It's how I can still sit and play Street Fighter 2, Sonic the Hedgehog and Super Mario after all these years. You get kids being all like "omg dis is old" but that happy-happy feeling and rememberance of good times is just there. It's the same with mid-'90s Premiership, just brings back memories.

We did, there was a video on Youtube not that long ago showing the way we tormented you at the end like we did Southampton, even gentlemen Bobby Charlton tried to kick Johnny Giles!

And the rout of Southampton was wonderful. I can still see Giles sticking his left foot behind his right and flicking it with inch precision to Clarke. We were truly magnificent that season. And you've got to wonder, if it was any other club, like say Liverpool/Man United, do you think they'd be allowed an extra 48 hours rest?

Still don't understand why we were forced to play away on the Monday. You just knew we wouldn't do it, you could tell the players were so shattered. As you'll remember at the start of the season you had to register a maximum of 20 players to the FA. You also got a fine if you fielded a weak side.

And yes, was talking to Allan Clarke last season at Elland Road, said that all the players had to sign photos for kids and footballs for schools for every letter sent in. If you sent a letter into Elland Road, you'd recieve a signed football or squad photo signed from all the squad, what a collectors item that'd be now.

Good luck to you.

However, I don't see the point. Could you enlighten me please?

I don't see the point of you posting on this thread. Could you enlighten me please as to why you did?

A great database like this gets zilch recognition, yet look at that 'legends' database. What a load of crock.

This is the best idea on here. One good thing too is that we've just signed Allan Clarke from you for a total of £165,000.

I remember the start of this season. It was one hell of a hot summer, and the first game of the season was Manchester United vs Leeds United at Old Trafford. Jones scored a bullet header which got the Goal Of The Month from a Peter Lorimer cross. Was a roasting day, I was stood on the Stretford End that day. Amazing times. Those were the days when we'd go to Old Trafford as favourites!

Sorry, but as I explained to DonRevieTheBoss in a PM last night, my FM2008 disc has cracked close to the centre, rendering it totally useless.

I may decide to continue to build this (I had just started loading the players too after recreating the 70s kits, I have just loaded the great Arsenal side of that era - along with their photo's - now I cannot even check those) in the hope of picking up a cheap copy of FM 2008 in the sales, otherwise, it shall have to wait until 2009 is released, when I shall restart the whole process.

Don't worry, as I have said, I will continue to build it. I am going into the city tomorrow, so I am going to search the game shops and second hand computer game shops too.

Keep your fingers crossed that I pick one up.

I am absolutely gutted myself, I put a lot of hours in just preparing this, plus a big thank you to the people who gave me the links etc.

Don't give up. all is not lost.

• 2 weeks later...

This sounds like a brilliant idea, I was just wondering would you only be including the players from the english leagues or would you add the superstars from around the world in this era. It would be cool to sign some of the legends of that time. Surely theres a cheap copy of FM08 on ebay maybe?

With the 1970's update, I was wondering would it be possible to have real players, like Ian Rush for example, instead of the regen's, who would be in the game as the season's progress. So, as an example, if you get to the 79/80 season, Rush would be at Chester City. Also, same with former players becoming managers (Dalglish becoming a manager for example), or isn't this possible?.

Archived