Opposition scoring with first shot on goal

This was a slight issue for me on FM10 and FM11, but on this years game it seems to be extremely frequent. I've had a few saves on this game, ranging from top end of the Premier League to relegation battlers in the Conference North, and it seems that no matter how good my team or defence is, the opposition seem to score a lot with their first shots on goal.

I'm not claiming that it is happening every game and it isn't happening more often than not, but the frequency still seems quite high. It also seems to take my team a few attempts before we find the net.

Has anybody else noticed that this happens quite frequently on FM12?

When it happens for me it's great.

Sunderland vs Barcelona.

4 shots on goal and 4 goals vs 27 shots on goal and 15 on target and no goals.

I actually can't go a game without conceding a goal. I could be winning 3-0, or 5-0 or 1-0. Doesn't matter, the opposition always scores against me and I don't know what to do about it.

Yeh for the first time ever I might find myself posting in the Tactics forum over this.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong to concede in every game. I probably need to switch to a defensive tactic around the 60th minute if I'm winning.

Yeh it would be very annoying to switch from attacking to defensive when I'm winning 4-0. I should be able to make it to the end of a game without conceding.

Going defensive and using shouts to retain possession(play wider, pass ball to feet etc) really helps with this. The opposition are likely to become more aggressive when losing and if you are attacking also there will be gaps for them to exploit. Dropping off and closing ranks and keeping the ball will frustrate them and possibly even help you score more goals. If I'm 4-0 up after 30 minutes for example i'll at least go counter if not defensive and may switch between the two so as to stop them getting a head of steam up.

Archived