FM 12: PETERBOROUGH UNITED F.C. - Upon this Rock....'n' Roll

higgins

20111213-gshi35g9anirqres6dendq9xgw.png

Brief History

Peterborough United was founded in 1934 at a meeting in the Angel Hotel, Peterborough, where local worthies gathered and decided it was time for the city to have a new football club. United emerged to fill the void left by the forerunners Peterborough & Fletton FC, founded in 1923. The Fletton area is on the south side of the River Nene where the London Road football ground is situated. They played in the Midland League until they were suspended by the FA for financial irregularities and folded eleven years later.

In an attempt to rebuild the Fletton side after a poor 1920/21 season player/manager Mr. Pat Tirrel announced that he was looking for ‘posh players for a posh new team’. This nickname started to appear in the local press alongside the familiar “Brickies”. There’s also a mention of a use in a derisory manner such as the ‘Posh Brickies’. After the club’s demise and subsequent resurfacing as Peterborough and Fletton United in 1923, the now famous nickname had stuck. When Peterborough & Fletton United folded in 1932, the Posh nickname was resurrected and used for the new Peterborough United.

Adapted from the town’s arms, the shirt is also adorned with the official club emblem. In Saxon times, Peterborough-then known as Medehampstede- was chosen by Paeda, King of Mercia, as the site of a monastery in 654 AD, dedicated to the glory of Christ and the honour of St.Peter. The central shield contains a pair of keys, symbolic of those to the gates of heaven given by Christ to St.Peter. They are shown enfiled by the mural crown as a differentiation to the simple crossed keys which are the arms, recorded for the bishopric of Gloucester. The gold mural crown above the shield is intended as a civic symbol and this is particularly emphasised by the towers, the whole suggesting the walls of a town. Of the supporters the lions are the ermine lions of the Marquess of Exeter, hereditary Lord Paramount of Peterborough, differenced by the wings of the eagle supporters of Mordaunt, first Earl of Peterborough, the stars thereon coming from his arms. The tree trunks derive from a device of Earl Fitzwilliam, whose estate forms an important part of the area.

Some words about the motto Upon this Rock. The compartment upon which the supporters stand is composed of rock from its traditional association with Peter. You want to know why? In addressing Peter (which means rock), Jesus made a solemn promise regarding the Church: “I say to thee that thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build My Church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it”

Peterborough gained promotion to the 2011-12 Football League Championship via the League One play-offs, beating Huddersfield 3-0 in the final at Old Trafford. Their highest finishing position in the Football League ladder was 10th in the Championship.

They were a free scoring, light defense team last year, the most prolific League One team by miles, 106 goals scored (four per game) and 75 conceded.

This year they already scored 53 in their first 14 games, I’ll try to follow this philosophy to secure, against all odds, an EPL promotion for the mighty Posh.

20111213-xm477e7xesk9ihm941bi1gyn3b.png

If you have a look at the team report screenie I posted above you’ll easily realize your team is poorly rated (media predicted 23rd) and your first aim should be to improve it adding more quality players.

The board will give you some money at the start of the season to bring in some new faces, you could choose from 1.5 to 2.7 M, personally I went for the 2 M option, I had some problems cutting all the fringe players at the club, in January I’ll have another chance to discharge useless players, I’ll report you back soon about my transfer campaign.

Stadium

The Posh play their home game at London Road a stadium opened in 1913 that holds 14.707, a decent starting point but you should try to improve it if you want to take the club at another level.

Stadium condition: good

Training facilities: average

Youth facilities: basic

20111214-c865s5ypt3ajy6h66hsbkhe3b1.png

Key players

Joe Lewis (Gk) definitely your starting keeper, he could be good at EPL level too, have in mind that his contract is expiring in 12 months, if you want to retain him you should save some money to renew it.

Ryan Bennett (Dc) a highly-rated 21 years old central defender, very good in the air with great potential in other departments too, plus he’s English.

Mark Little (Dr) a competent full-back at this level, nice physical attributes, should improve his mental and technical skills to become premiership material.

Gabriel Zakuani (Dc) not so skilled as Bennett but still a decent centre-back, if you don’t want to invest on a new defender you found a nice defensive partnership.

Grant McCann (Mc) your midfield maestro, he’s 31 but has still something to give, experienced and reliable in the middle of the pitch.

Tommy Rowe (Mc) a good all-round central midfielder, he's still 22 so he has time to develop, you should mould him to suit your needs.

Lee Tomlin (Mr/Amc/St) a versatile player, if you lack depth upfront this man could be the right answer.

George Boyd (Amc/Aml/St) propably the best player at your disposal, surely the most flamboyant, if you were looking for a classy player outside the EPL in England, George Boyd is definitely the man to watch, more about him later.

These are the men to retain in your first season, in the picture below I highlighted with a red dot the players you should cut, even if they won’t attract so many buyers.

20111213-jq32t2d99187sx2txnd85pqjx3.png

More to come....

Tactics & transfer targets - Season One -

20111214-nu35qrx4n9mkpnaeus7yrk2rqk.png

I think the best tactics for Peterborough are 4-4-2 (starting) and 4-4-1-1 (backup) , I'll prepare both of them, with a deep defensive line and a counter strategy, accordingly to these frameworks I'm actually missing 5 first team players.

20111214-cau3bb7c8jxbjhskp1bk5qxsxm.png

I bought 10 players (5 on loan, all with agreed prices) overall, spending 1,5 M and, unfortunately, selling only 2 players: Basey and Newell for 10 k.

20111214-dgip5xfs3sydy45cesam1esegm.png

At the end of the day this should be my 2011-12 Starting XI, I know you could easily develop other formations for the Posh, but I really love how 4-4-2 works in FM 12, reliable for weak teams too.

20111214-ep66rns74d8y4d82nm32x3s7ep.png

This way I built a balanced squad, with 25 first-team players and a competitive starting eleven,the English Championship is a highly demanding league with lots of fixtures (46), so rotating your men will surely improve your success chances; the Boyd - Goncalves partnership upfront will be key for our season, of course. But I have alternatives, cause Slovenian Vito Plut could play in both roles, poacher or trequartista, while Ajose and David Ball should be decent backups for the poacher role.

I had to pay 425 k to sign Glenn Loovens, but he's a commanding centre back at this level and will surely lead my defensive line comfortably, helping Bennett development.

I have high hopes for Johann Berg Gudmundsson on the left flank of my midfield, the Icelandic winger from AZ is a great prospect, if he remains injury free, you will heard something about this boy soon.

I'll keep you updated about my progress in the game, hopefully some of you could join this thread to try the "posh experience"!

More to come...

Peterborough Star Player: Georgie Boyd

20111214-df7u2kyne5sjrkxe3c6smsia9m.png

Georgie Boyd, the white Pelè, is the player you could build your team around, full of flair and tricky moves, he's perfect if you're looking for a creative force for your team, I decided to bet on him in my first season in charge at London Road, looking for players that could work well with him, he probably lacks a bit of pace to perform properly at a higher level, but I'd like to give him a chance in the EPL if we go up...

[video=youtube;2NPBeXA_icE]

3 Reasons to manage the Posh in FM 12:

• A nice challenge in England starting with a weak side in the Championship

• A decent budget to mould your team as you like it

• Georgie Boyd

But there's more, we have the most unconvincing fan you've ever seen...."Iron" Mike Tyson!!

20111214-g7u29hfx39h18i5f81g98y8fs7.png

Up the Posh!!!:thup:

I did start a Peterborough save, on the basis of wanting the challenge because their media prediction was 24th.

Finished 7th, 7th, then 2nd

This guy here was an epic signing!

86096269.jpg

Tomlin and Bennet developed well, but something went wrong with Boyd. In the first 2 seasons I had teams wanting him, even bidding over 2 million, but by the 3rd he was down to 2 stars and I couldnt even flog him for nothing! He had never been injured, and I wanted rid of him due to his high wages.

Im hoping that if I continue to use Bennet as my captain and play him in every game he is fit he might one day play for England, he is already 4 star in premiership.

just won my first Premiership game 4-0 away to Burnley

I did start a Peterborough save, on the basis of wanting the challenge because their media prediction was 24th.

Finished 7th, 7th, then 2nd

This guy here was an epic signing!

86096269.jpg

Tomlin and Bennet developed well, but something went wrong with Boyd. In the first 2 seasons I had teams wanting him, even bidding over 2 million, but by the 3rd he was down to 2 stars and I couldnt even flog him for nothing! He had never been injured, and I wanted rid of him due to his high wages.

Im hoping that if I continue to use Bennet as my captain and play him in every game he is fit he might one day play for England, he is already 4 star in premiership.

just won my first Premiership game 4-0 away to Burnley

I tried to sign Bakenga as well, a perfect poacher for this level, but he refused to join, when did you sign him and how much did you pay for him?

I hope to be more lucky with Boyd, but I'm aware the EPL could be a bridge too far for him, however it's nice to see other people managing Peterborough, a team with great potential, keep us updated about your EPL season and good luck!

btw your OP is brilliant, i kind of feel bad for ruining it by boasting about bakenga!

Nah, this kind of thread are more interesting when people exchange their own experiences about the game, so feel free to add more Peterborough related content here! ;)

2011-12 Half season update

20111214-bgj6qqi77ae1b4tem7wsja1d86.png

A nice start for the Posh, just 3 losses after 23 games, at the moment I have Ryan Bennet, my best defender, out for 4 weeks, but Zakuani should be a good backup. Goncalves and Boyd are working well together but my best player so far has been my left winger, Gudmundsson, terrific player,have a look at his stats; some bad news regarding my promising keeper, Joe Lewis, he doesn't want to renew his contract, he will leave on a free transfer in six months.

Did you remember when I told you that Zakuani should have been a good backup fro Ryan Bennett?

Well, forget about that, 3 draws and a loss without Ryan, Zakuani is playing poorly, sent off in the last match and banned for 3 matches, I had to bring in a Dutch teenager on loan to have two central defenders in my next match....disappointed.:mad:

My first season is almost finished, just 5 games and I'll know more about my future with the Posh:

20111215-cjqnns7ifck2cb2dcgppu8maa3.png

and this is my table, it's good, but our form has been poor recently, with George Boyd and Gudmundsson both injured we're experiencing problems to create good scoring opportunities for our forwards, but I have faith...

20111215-1kgsiak1mgthac1j17hp1g8pmu.png

Is this season 1? If so you did a hell of a lot better than me, although I got promoted season 3.

My team in my first Premiership season is a bit short of Peterborough Players

.............Howard

Dann Bennett Lescott

........Matic

Lansbury Ekdal

......... (REGEN)

Wellbeck Bakenga Griffiths

Is this season 1? If so you did a hell of a lot better than me, although I got promoted season 3.

My team in my first Premiership season is a bit short of Peterborough Players

.............Howard

Dann Bennett Lescott

........Matic

Lansbury Ekdal

......... (REGEN)

Wellbeck Bakenga Griffiths

Yes, it's season one, I just missed direct promotion on goal difference, the playoffs are my last chance to get promoted, Nottingham Forest in the semi.

It's good to see Ryan Bennett is still with you, that guy has a huge potential, out of interest, are you playing 3-1-2-1-3?

Season One Recap

20111216-txu71w5p4eptauf3ecn5ju3785.png

Historic promotion for the Posh! Promoted via playoffs, after a thrilling win in the semi over Nottingham Forest (on penalties) we had an easier final match vs. Reading (2-0)

20111216-qdn9b7c2drmhfbt71rkycttma.png

Best players

20111216-rk5uit5hi8nqryiq6tu4x8f6y.png

Johann Gudmundsson was my best player, voted as Championship best young player of the season, he was amazing all season long, a polite left foot; I already signed him definitely for 300k, a bargain!

Joe Lewis will leave on free, such a a shame, but there's nothing I could do to convince him while Goncalves just signed a 3 years contract with us, I'd retain Danilo Pereira and Pereirinha too but they were on loan and I don't have the required money.

Then I signed two other players for free, but I'll talk about them in another post, I have a team to build for next season premiership debut...

20111216-jer3wx5x6mfib2q6fxfmr9kqjp.png

By the way, our finances are not the best, but they should improve soon.

Up the Posh!!

Yeh I am 3-1-2-1-3

It is always met with scorn from other people, but it has served me well over the last 3 FMs. Of course I ship a few goals if my team is weak for the league, but the midfield and attack make really nice passing triangles amongst themselves, and if the centre striker has pace he tends to get played through 1v1 on their keeper 5 or 6 times in the match, and as you can see from the Bakegna picture they sometimes stick a few away. Griffiths is another one who scores a lot more than his attributes suggests.

Of that starting eleven Dann and Griffiths were the only ones that werent on free transfers

Yeh I am 3-1-2-1-3

It is always met with scorn from other people, but it has served me well over the last 3 FMs. Of course I ship a few goals if my team is weak for the league, but the midfield and attack make really nice passing triangles amongst themselves, and if the centre striker has pace he tends to get played through 1v1 on their keeper 5 or 6 times in the match, and as you can see from the Bakegna picture they sometimes stick a few away. Griffiths is another one who scores a lot more than his attributes suggests.

Of that starting eleven Dann and Griffiths were the only ones that werent on free transfers

Interesting tactic mate, I used something similar in the past (3-3-1-3) and I know it can work really well, just a bit underrated among FM players.

Excellent thread, higgins. Any news on your Premier League squad?

Thanks mate, I'm busy in the market at the moment, I'll post some news soon, basically I'm looking for a right winger, a keeper and a central midfielder with deep lying playmaker skills (McCann is 32 now), plus other players to add more depth.

Still don't know the available budget though.

Missing players & transfers - Season two -

20111217-89dgeuusyd8n76ma41kaj2hquh.png

After a massive transfers session (I had 14 M for the market but a not so safe bank balance) I brough in 19 (!) new players, 6 for free and 5 on loan, I'm aware it's risky but I needed to raise the level of my team, however I still have with me 7 original Peterborough players: Bennett, Zakuani, Little, McCann, Boyd, Tomlin and Rowe.

20111217-kydut9nmpk97iq6eytfe6eemd4.png

It won't be easy, lots of not gelled and undeveloped young players, the plan would be to survive this season then we could see something interesting the next one.

Don't have a B plan...

I'm using the same tactic, just with two proper wingers, having the right players for that role.

I was thinking to use an English keeper but after some friendlies with Gary Woods in goal I had some doubts about his consistency, that's why I bought Mattia Perin, still young but more skilled.

I'm satisfied about the wages structure of this team, just 8 M overall, not bad.

20111217-m8bug92s4qnf1q1xeran9m6yca.png

Seven games before the end, my first season in the EPL is going well, in spite of some huge losses vs. most of top teams, I should have some good chances of not being relegated. :D

20111220-esb3n5iwm6hrxki8qdrnrnw5aa.png

20111220-nqxcpphgwr94cs3frg32xdet2n.png

In January I bought other 4 players: Danny Guthrie, Aidan White, Miles Addison and Grant Hanley.

Too many poor performances for Glen Loovens, our old captain, now he plays in the reserve, transfer-listed him but no one seems to be interested; my best man so far has been Esmael Goncalves: 13 goals, 5 assists and 3 MoM's, not bad for an EPL debutant.

20111222-p7f7p2jxtwtbdsgrq1p3t2skgx.png

A good season finale for my Peterborough Club, 9th in the table is a good achievement, considered this was only my second season in charge at London Road, we should surely improve our defensive record for next season, 76 goals conceded are definitely too much! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Tactics & transfer targets - Season One -

20111214-nu35qrx4n9mkpnaeus7yrk2rqk.png

I think the best tactics for Peterborough are 4-4-2 (starting) and 4-4-1-1 (backup) , I'll prepare both of them, with a deep defensive line and a counter strategy, accordingly to these frameworks I'm actually missing 5 first team players.

20111214-cau3bb7c8jxbjhskp1bk5qxsxm.png

I bought 10 players (5 on loan, all with agreed prices) overall, spending 1,5 M and, unfortunately, selling only 2 players: Basey and Newell for 10 k.

20111214-dgip5xfs3sydy45cesam1esegm.png

At the end of the day this should be my 2011-12 Starting XI, I know you could easily develop other formations for the Posh, but I really love how 4-4-2 works in FM 12, reliable for weak teams too.

20111214-ep66rns74d8y4d82nm32x3s7ep.png

This way I built a balanced squad, with 25 first-team players and a competitive starting eleven,the English Championship is a highly demanding league with lots of fixtures (46), so rotating your men will surely improve your success chances; the Boyd - Goncalves partnership upfront will be key for our season, of course. But I have alternatives, cause Slovenian Vito Plut could play in both roles, poacher or trequartista, while Ajose and David Ball should be decent backups for the poacher role.

I had to pay 425 k to sign Glenn Loovens, but he's a commanding centre back at this level and will surely lead my defensive line comfortably, helping Bennett development.

I have high hopes for Johann Berg Gudmundsson on the left flank of my midfield, the Icelandic winger from AZ is a great prospect, if he remains injury free, you will heard something about this boy soon.

I'll keep you updated about my progress in the game, hopefully some of you could join this thread to try the "posh experience"!

More to come...

Can I ask how you got these players? I must be doing something wrong cos none of them are on my game. I have most leagues selected but not seeing any of them (bar townsend!)

Can I ask how you got these players? I must be doing something wrong cos none of them are on my game. I have most leagues selected but not seeing any of them (bar townsend!)

You need to have some leagues loaded: Slovenia, France, Holland, Scotland and Italy, if I remember well.

• 3 weeks later...
I finally won the EPL, in the 2019/20 season, along with my 3rd Carling Cup and the Europa League, beaten in FA Cup final.

The board decided to celebrate by expanding the stadium by 607 seats. Yipeee!

You can't complain, really. :lol:

• 1 month later...

Just finished my 1st season with posh on latest patch an it was a sum what awsum season ..my tactic worked a treat , 3 transfers i made for the season 1. fryers at start of season from man utd for season ...then at january transfer window i brough in e. ward from norwich , and whitbread from norwich aswell on loan till end of the season that was it, all i was expecting was midtable , i was very wrong lol .

poshx.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

BRING ON THE PREMIER LEAGUE ;)

Just finished my 1st season with posh on latest patch an it was a sum what awsum season ..my tactic worked a treat , 3 transfers i made for the season 1. fryers at start of season from man utd for season ...then at january transfer window i brough in e. ward from norwich , and whitbread from norwich aswell on loan till end of the season that was it, all i was expecting was midtable , i was very wrong lol .

poshx.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

BRING ON THE PREMIER LEAGUE ;)

Happy to see you had some success with the Posh mate, who was your main man upfront?

Archived